Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Megator
Alias: Bx34, CG8274, Dmel\CG8274, MTOR, TPR, Tpr, l(2)k03905, megator, CG8274-PA, CG8274-PB, Mtor-PA, Mtor-PB, lethal (2) k03905
Species: fruit fly
- Qi H, Rath U, Wang D, Xu Y, Ding Y, Zhang W, et al. Megator, an essential coiled-coil protein that localizes to the putative spindle matrix during mitosis in Drosophila. Mol Biol Cell. 2004;15:4854-65 pubmedWe have used immunocytochemistry and cross-immunoprecipitation analysis to demonstrate that Megator (Bx34 antigen), a Tpr ortholog in Drosophila with an extended coiled-coil domain, colocalizes with the putative spindle matrix proteins ..
- Jolly C, Lakhotia S. Human sat III and Drosophila hsr omega transcripts: a common paradigm for regulation of nuclear RNA processing in stressed cells. Nucleic Acids Res. 2006;34:5508-14 pubmed
- Liu Y, Singh S, Zeng X, Zhao J, Hou S. The Nuclear Matrix Protein Megator Regulates Stem Cell Asymmetric Division through the Mitotic Checkpoint Complex in Drosophila Testes. PLoS Genet. 2015;11:e1005750 pubmed publisher..However, the molecular mechanism underlying these events remains unclear. Here we identified Megator (Mtor), a nuclear matrix protein, which regulates GSC maintenance and asymmetric division through the spindle ..
- Burns L, Wente S. From hypothesis to mechanism: uncovering nuclear pore complex links to gene expression. Mol Cell Biol. 2014;34:2114-20 pubmed publisher..These examples highlight new and unpredicted mechanisms for Nup impacts on transcription and questions that are left to be explored. ..
- Singh A, Lakhotia S. Dynamics of hnRNPs and omega speckles in normal and heat shocked live cell nuclei of Drosophila melanogaster. Chromosoma. 2015;124:367-83 pubmed publisher..display size-dependent mobility in nucleoplasmic domains with significant colocalization with nuclear matrix Tpr/Megator and SAFB proteins, which also accumulate at hsrÏ‰ gene site after stress...
- Stenberg P, Larsson J. Buffering and the evolution of chromosome-wide gene regulation. Chromosoma. 2011;120:213-25 pubmed publisher..In this review, we discuss the origin and function of buffering and compensation using Drosophila as a model. ..
- Yao C, Rath U, Maiato H, Sharp D, Girton J, Johansen K, et al. A nuclear-derived proteinaceous matrix embeds the microtubule spindle apparatus during mitosis. Mol Biol Cell. 2012;23:3532-41 pubmed publisher..In addition, we demonstrate that the spindle matrix protein Megator requires its coiled-coil amino-terminal domain for spindle matrix localization, suggesting that specific ..
- Chow C, Wolfner M, Clark A. Using natural variation in Drosophila to discover previously unknown endoplasmic reticulum stress genes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:9013-8 pubmed publisher..This study establishes Drosophila as a useful model for studying variation in ER stress and identifying ER stress genes that may contribute to human disease. ..
- Kharchenko P, Alekseyenko A, Schwartz Y, Minoda A, Riddle N, Ernst J, et al. Comprehensive analysis of the chromatin landscape in Drosophila melanogaster. Nature. 2011;471:480-5 pubmed publisher..This systematic profiling and integrative analysis of chromatin signatures provides insights into how genomic elements are regulated, and will serve as a resource for future experimental investigations of genome structure and function. ..
- Ghosh S, Feany M. Comparison of pathways controlling toxicity in the eye and brain in Drosophila models of human neurodegenerative diseases. Hum Mol Genet. 2004;13:2011-8 pubmed..These findings outline common pathways of neurotoxicity, demonstrate disease- and cell-type specific pathways and identify a common vitamin as a potential therapy in polyglutamine disorders. ..
- Schweizer N, Pawar N, Weiss M, Maiato H. An organelle-exclusion envelope assists mitosis and underlies distinct molecular crowding in the spindle region. J Cell Biol. 2015;210:695-704 pubmed publisher..in molecular crowding states that are sufficient to drive accumulation of mitotic regulators, such as Mad2 and Megator/Tpr, as well as soluble tubulin, in the spindle region...
- Johansen J, Johansen K. The spindle matrix through the cell cycle in Drosophila. Fly (Austin). 2009;3:213-20 pubmed
- Hessle V, Bjork P, Sokolowski M, González de Valdivia E, Silverstein R, Artemenko K, et al. The exosome associates cotranscriptionally with the nascent pre-mRNP through interactions with heterogeneous nuclear ribonucleoproteins. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:3459-70 pubmed publisher..Our results lead to a revised mechanistic model for cotranscriptional quality control in which the exosome is constantly recruited to newly synthesized RNAs through direct interactions with specific hnRNP proteins. ..
- Pascual García P, Debo B, Aleman J, Talamas J, Lan Y, Nguyen N, et al. Metazoan Nuclear Pores Provide a Scaffold for Poised Genes and Mediate Induced Enhancer-Promoter Contacts. Mol Cell. 2017;66:63-76.e6 pubmed publisher..Together, our data identify Nups as a class of architectural proteins for enhancers and supports a model in which animal genomes use the nuclear pore as an organizing scaffold for inducible poised genes. ..
- Singh A, Lakhotia S. The hnRNP A1 homolog Hrp36 is essential for normal development, female fecundity, omega speckle formation and stress tolerance in Drosophila melanogaster. J Biosci. 2012;37:659-78 pubmed..The levels of nuclear matrix protein Megator and the chromatin remodeller ISWI are significantly elevated in principal cells of larval Malpighian tubules, ..
- Mihailovic M, Mihailovich M, Wurth L, Zambelli F, Abaza I, Militti C, et al. Widespread generation of alternative UTRs contributes to sex-specific RNA binding by UNR. RNA. 2012;18:53-64 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that UNR exploits the transcript diversity generated by alternative processing and alternative promoter usage to bind and regulate target genes in a sex-specific manner. ..
- Hessle V, von Euler A, González de Valdivia E, Visa N. Rrp6 is recruited to transcribed genes and accompanies the spliced mRNA to the nuclear pore. RNA. 2012;18:1466-74 pubmed publisher..These observations suggest that the quality control of pre-mRNA splicing is not based on the selective recruitment of the exoribonuclease Rrp6 to unprocessed mRNAs. ..
- Qi H, Yao C, Cai W, Girton J, Johansen K, Johansen J. Asator, a tau-tubulin kinase homolog in Drosophila localizes to the mitotic spindle. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:3248-56 pubmed publisher..Asator, a tau-tubulin kinase homolog in Drosophila that interacts directly with the spindle matrix protein Megator. Using immunocytochemical labeling by an Asator-specific mAb as well as by transgenic expression of a GFP-labeled ..
- Patalano S, Mihailovich M, Belacortu Y, Paricio N, Gebauer F. Dual sex-specific functions of Drosophila Upstream of N-ras in the control of X chromosome dosage compensation. Development. 2009;136:689-98 pubmed publisher..These results uncover dual sex-specific functions of UNR in dosage compensation: to repress DCC formation in female flies and to promote DCC assembly on the male X chromosome. ..
- Ferguson S, Blundon M, Klovstad M, Schupbach T. Modulation of gurken translation by insulin and TOR signaling in Drosophila. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:1407-19 pubmed publisher..This model might explain how flies can maintain the translation of developmentally important transcripts during periods of nutrient limitation when bulk cap-dependent translation is repressed. ..
- Chen H, Chen X, Zheng Y. The nuclear lamina regulates germline stem cell niche organization via modulation of EGFR signaling. Cell Stem Cell. 2013;13:73-86 pubmed publisher..Thus, we have uncovered a role for the nuclear lamina in the integration of EGF signaling to regulate stem cell niche function. ..
- Sabri N, Roth P, Xylourgidis N, Sadeghifar F, Adler J, Samakovlis C. Distinct functions of the Drosophila Nup153 and Nup214 FG domains in nuclear protein transport. J Cell Biol. 2007;178:557-65 pubmed..Our data suggest that peripheral metazoan FG nucleoporins have distinct functions in nuclear protein transport events. ..
- Senger S, Csokmay J, Akbar T, Tanveer A, Jones T, Sengupta P, et al. The nucleoporin Seh1 forms a complex with Mio and serves an essential tissue-specific function in Drosophila oogenesis. Development. 2011;138:2133-42 pubmed publisher..In summary, our studies demonstrate that Mio is a novel interacting partner of the conserved nucleoporin Seh1 and add to the growing body of evidence that structural nucleoporins can have novel tissue-specific roles. ..
- Mason D, Goldfarb D. The nuclear transport machinery as a regulator of Drosophila development. Semin Cell Dev Biol. 2009;20:582-9 pubmed publisher..Rather, they support the idea that the basal nuclear transport machinery has adapted during the evolution of the metazoan body plan to play important regulatory roles in key developmental events. ..
- David Morrison G, Xu Z, Rui Y, Charng W, Jaiswal M, Yamamoto S, et al. WAC Regulates mTOR Activity by Acting as an Adaptor for the TTT and Pontin/Reptin Complexes. Dev Cell. 2016;36:139-51 pubmed publisher..Loss of Wacky leads to neurodegeneration, defective mTOR activity, and increased autophagy...
- Lagarou A, Mohd Sarip A, Moshkin Y, Chalkley G, Bezstarosti K, Demmers J, et al. dKDM2 couples histone H2A ubiquitylation to histone H3 demethylation during Polycomb group silencing. Genes Dev. 2008;22:2799-810 pubmed publisher..Thus, dRAF removes an active mark from histone H3 and adds a repressive one to H2A. These findings reveal coordinate trans-histone regulation by a PcG complex to mediate gene repression. ..