Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: me31B
Description: maternal expression at 31B
Alias: CG4916, DDX6, Dhh1p/Me31b, DmRH3, Dmel\CG4916, ME31B, Mat31B, Me31B, Me31b, l(2)k06607, me31b, maternal expression at 31B, CG4916-PA, CG4916-PB, me31B-PA, me31B-PB
Species: fruit fly
- McDermott S, Meignin C, Rappsilber J, Davis I. Drosophila Syncrip binds the gurken mRNA localisation signal and regulates localised transcripts during axis specification. Biol Open. 2012;1:488-97 pubmed publisher..such as Squid and Imp, in addition to a number of factors with known links to mRNA localisation, such as Me31B and Exu...
- Eulalio A, Huntzinger E, Nishihara T, Rehwinkel J, Fauser M, Izaurralde E. Deadenylation is a widespread effect of miRNA regulation. RNA. 2009;15:21-32 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that miRNAs promote mRNA decay by altering mRNP composition and/or conformation, rather than by directly interfering with the binding and function of ribosomal subunits. ..
- Styhler S, Nakamura A, Lasko P. VASA localization requires the SPRY-domain and SOCS-box containing protein, GUSTAVUS. Dev Cell. 2002;3:865-76 pubmed..Therefore, GUS is essential for the posterior localization of VAS. However, gus is not required for the posterior localization of oskar (osk). Apparent gus orthologs are present in mammalian genomes. ..
- Snee M, Macdonald P. Dynamic organization and plasticity of sponge bodies. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:918-30 pubmed publisher..Based on these and other results we propose a model for the relationship between P bodies and the various cytoplasmic bodies containing P body proteins in the Drosophila ovary. ..
- Zabolotskaya M, Grima D, Lin M, Chou T, Newbury S. The 5'-3' exoribonuclease Pacman is required for normal male fertility and is dynamically localized in cytoplasmic particles in Drosophila testis cells. Biochem J. 2008;416:327-35 pubmed publisher..Pacman is co-localized with the decapping activator dDcp1 and the helicase Me31B (a Dhh1 homologue) in these particles, although this co-localization is not completely overlapping, suggesting ..
- Minshall N, Standart N. The active form of Xp54 RNA helicase in translational repression is an RNA-mediated oligomer. Nucleic Acids Res. 2004;32:1325-34 pubmed..with p47, a member of the highly conserved RCK family of RNA helicases which includes Drosophila Me31B and Saccharomyces cerevisiae Dhh1...
- Tritschler F, Braun J, Eulalio A, Truffault V, Izaurralde E, Weichenrieder O. Structural basis for the mutually exclusive anchoring of P body components EDC3 and Tral to the DEAD box protein DDX6/Me31B. Mol Cell. 2009;33:661-8 pubmed publisherThe DEAD box helicase DDX6/Me31B functions in translational repression and mRNA decapping. How particular RNA helicases are recruited specifically to distinct functional complexes is poorly understood...
- Jäger E, Dorner S. The decapping activator HPat a novel factor co-purifying with GW182 from Drosophila cells. RNA Biol. 2010;7:381-5 pubmed..Our findings implicate a potential interaction of the miRNA effector component GW182 with the decapping machinery. ..
- Snee M, Macdonald P. Bicaudal C and trailer hitch have similar roles in gurken mRNA localization and cytoskeletal organization. Dev Biol. 2009;328:434-44 pubmed publisher..The cages sequester Gurken protein, blocking its secretion and thus interfering with signaling of the follicle cells to specify dorsal fate. ..
- Chicoine J, Benoit P, Gamberi C, Paliouras M, Simonelig M, Lasko P. Bicaudal-C recruits CCR4-NOT deadenylase to target mRNAs and regulates oogenesis, cytoskeletal organization, and its own expression. Dev Cell. 2007;13:691-704 pubmed..We conclude that Bic-C regulates expression of specific germline mRNAs by controlling their poly(A)-tail length. ..
- Kugler J, Chicoine J, Lasko P. Bicaudal-C associates with a Trailer Hitch/Me31B complex and is required for efficient Gurken secretion. Dev Biol. 2009;328:160-72 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results implicate translational regulation by Bic-C and Tral in the secretory pathway. ..
- Tritschler F, Eulalio A, Helms S, Schmidt S, Coles M, Weichenrieder O, et al. Similar modes of interaction enable Trailer Hitch and EDC3 to associate with DCP1 and Me31B in distinct protein complexes. Mol Cell Biol. 2008;28:6695-708 pubmed publisher..Drosophila cells, Tral and EDC3 specifically interact with the decapping activator DCP1 and the DEAD-box helicase Me31B. Nevertheless, only Tral associates with the translational repressor CUP, whereas EDC3 associates with the ..
- Lin M, Jiao X, Grima D, Newbury S, Kiledjian M, Chou T. Drosophila processing bodies in oogenesis. Dev Biol. 2008;322:276-88 pubmed publisher..in the nurse cell cytoplasm can associate with the 5' to 3' exoribonuclease, Pacman in addition to dDcp2 and Me31B. The size and number of dDcp1 bodies are dynamic and dramatically increased in dDcp2 and pacman mutant backgrounds ..
- Eulalio A, Rehwinkel J, Stricker M, Huntzinger E, Yang S, Doerks T, et al. Target-specific requirements for enhancers of decapping in miRNA-mediated gene silencing. Genes Dev. 2007;21:2558-70 pubmed..Depleting Ge-1 alone and/or in combination with other decapping activators (e.g., DCP1, EDC3, HPat, or Me31B) suppresses silencing of several miRNA targets, indicating that miRNAs elicit mRNA decapping...
- Jinek M, Eulalio A, Lingel A, Helms S, Conti E, Izaurralde E. The C-terminal region of Ge-1 presents conserved structural features required for P-body localization. RNA. 2008;14:1991-8 pubmed publisher..The conservation of critical surface and structural residues suggests that the C-terminal region adopts a similar fold with conserved functions in all members of the Ge-1 protein family. ..
- Chekulaeva M, Hentze M, Ephrussi A. Bruno acts as a dual repressor of oskar translation, promoting mRNA oligomerization and formation of silencing particles. Cell. 2006;124:521-33 pubmed..Bruno-dependent mRNA oligomerization into silencing particles emerges as a mode of translational control that may be particularly suited to coupling with mRNA transport. ..
- Nakamura A, Sato K, Hanyu Nakamura K. Drosophila cup is an eIF4E binding protein that associates with Bruno and regulates oskar mRNA translation in oogenesis. Dev Cell. 2004;6:69-78 pubmed..These results suggest that translational repression of osk RNA is achieved through a 5'/3' interaction mediated by an eIF4E-Cup-Bru complex. ..
- Nakamura A, Amikura R, Hanyu K, Kobayashi S. Me31B silences translation of oocyte-localizing RNAs through the formation of cytoplasmic RNP complex during Drosophila oogenesis. Development. 2001;128:3233-42 pubmed..We report that a DEAD-box protein, Me31B, forms a cytoplasmic RNP complex with oocyte-localizing RNAs and Exuperantia, a protein involved in RNA ..
- Ivshina M, Lasko P, Richter J. Cytoplasmic polyadenylation element binding proteins in development, health, and disease. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol. 2014;30:393-415 pubmed publisher..We review the biochemical features of the CPEB proteins, discuss their activities in several biological systems, and illustrate how understanding CPEB activity in model organisms has an important impact on neurological disease. ..
- KuzuoÄŸlu Ã–ztÃ¼rk D, Bhandari D, Huntzinger E, Fauser M, Helms S, Izaurralde E. miRISC and the CCR4-NOT complex silence mRNA targets independently of 43S ribosomal scanning. EMBO J. 2016;35:1186-203 pubmed publisher..CCR4-NOT complex in Drosophila melanogaster Here, we show that miRNAs, AGOs, GW182, the CCR4-NOT complex, and DDX6/Me31B repress and degrade polyadenylated mRNA targets that are translated via scanning-independent mechanisms in both ..
- Li W, Klovstad M, SchÃ¼pbach T. Repression of Gurken translation by a meiotic checkpoint in Drosophila oogenesis is suppressed by a reduction in the dose of eIF1A. Development. 2014;141:3910-21 pubmed publisher..We further propose that reduction of eIF1A allows more efficient Grk translation possibly because of the presence of specific structural features in the grk 5'UTR. ..
- Fan S, Marchand V, Ephrussi A. Drosophila Ge-1 promotes P body formation and oskar mRNA localization. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e20612 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest an important role of dGe-1 in optimization of the osk mRNA localization process required for patterning the Drosophila embryo. ..
- Moy R, Cole B, Yasunaga A, Gold B, Shankarling G, Varble A, et al. Stem-loop recognition by DDX17 facilitates miRNA processing and antiviral defense. Cell. 2014;158:764-777 pubmed publisher..Thus, DDX17 has dual roles in the recognition of stem loops: in the nucleus for endogenous microRNA (miRNA) biogenesis and in the cytoplasm for surveillance against structured non-self-elements. ..
- Kibanov M, Gvozdev V, Olenina L. Germ granules in spermatogenesis of Drosophila: Evidences of contribution to the piRNA silencing. Commun Integr Biol. 2012;5:130-3 pubmed publisher..In this mini-review, we analyze the recent published data about structure and functions of Drosophila male germ granules, and especially their involvement in the piRNA silencing pathway. ..
- Patel P, Barbee S, Blankenship J. GW-Bodies and P-Bodies Constitute Two Separate Pools of Sequestered Non-Translating RNAs. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0150291 pubmed publisher..RNA decapping factors such as DCP1, Me31B, and Hpat are not associated with GW-bodies, indicating that P-bodies and GW-bodies are distinct structures...
- Davidson A, Parton R, Rabouille C, Weil T, Davis I. Localized Translation of gurken/TGF-Î± mRNA during Axis Specification Is Controlled by Access to Orb/CPEB on Processing Bodies. Cell Rep. 2016;14:2451-62 pubmed publisher..We propose that controlling the spatial distribution of translational activators is a fundamental mechanism for regulating localized translation. ..
- Olivieri D, Sykora M, Sachidanandam R, Mechtler K, Brennecke J. An in vivo RNAi assay identifies major genetic and cellular requirements for primary piRNA biogenesis in Drosophila. EMBO J. 2010;29:3301-17 pubmed publisher..Loss of Zucchini leads to an accumulation of Piwi and Armitage in Yb bodies, indicating that Yb bodies are sites of primary piRNA biogenesis. ..
- Röper K. Rtnl1 is enriched in a specialized germline ER that associates with ribonucleoprotein granule components. J Cell Sci. 2007;120:1081-92 pubmed..As the ER is actively transported into the oocyte, this colocalization suggests a role for the Rtnl1-containing subdomain in anchoring the ribonucleoprotein complexes within and/or transporting them into the oocyte. ..
- Götze M, Dufourt J, Ihling C, Rammelt C, Pierson S, Sambrani N, et al. Translational repression of the Drosophila nanos mRNA involves the RNA helicase Belle and RNA coating by Me31B and Trailer hitch. RNA. 2017;23:1552-1568 pubmed publisher..In a comprehensive mass spectrometric analysis of the SRE-dependent repressor complex, we identified Smaug, Cup, Me31B, Trailer hitch, eIF4E, and PABPC, in agreement with earlier data...
- Cauchi R, Sanchez Pulido L, Liu J. Drosophila SMN complex proteins Gemin2, Gemin3, and Gemin5 are components of U bodies. Exp Cell Res. 2010;316:2354-64 pubmed publisher..Gemin3 is the bona fide Drosophila orthologue of vertebrate Gemin3 whereas the Drosophila orthologue of Dhh1 is Me31B. We then made use of the Drosophila egg chamber as a model system to study the subcellular distribution of the ..
- Sgromo A, Raisch T, Bawankar P, Bhandari D, Chen Y, Kuzuoğlu Öztürk D, et al. A CAF40-binding motif facilitates recruitment of the CCR4-NOT complex to mRNAs targeted by Drosophila Roquin. Nat Commun. 2017;8:14307 pubmed publisher..Thus, despite the lack of sequence conservation, the C-terminal regions of Roquin proteins act as an effector domain that represses the expression of mRNA targets via recruitment of the CCR4-NOT complex. ..
- Eisen A, Sattah M, Gazitt T, Neal K, Szauter P, Lucchesi J. A novel DEAD-box RNA helicase exhibits high sequence conservation from yeast to humans. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1998;1397:131-6 pubmed..DBP80 is a member of a subclass of DEAD-box proteins that contains a distinct domain, PX(I/R)ILLKR(E/D)EETLEGIKQ(F/Y)(F/Y), in addition to the seven canonical helicase domains. ..
- Gamberi C, Lasko P. The Bic-C family of developmental translational regulators. Comp Funct Genomics. 2012;2012:141386 pubmed publisher..We discuss recent advances towards understanding the functions of these proteins in the context of the cellular and developmental biology of many model organisms and their connection to human disease. ..
- Arkov A, Ramos A. Building RNA-protein granules: insight from the germline. Trends Cell Biol. 2010;20:482-90 pubmed publisher..These data suggest a widespread use of several protein motifs in germline development and further our understanding of other ribonucleoprotein structures, for example, processing bodies and neuronal granules. ..
- Navarro C, Bullock S, Lehmann R. Altered dynein-dependent transport in piRNA pathway mutants. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:9691-6 pubmed publisher..We propose that aggregate formation is a cellular response to protect germ cells from DNA damage caused by elevated retrotransposon expression. ..
- Liu N, Dansereau D, Lasko P. Fat facets interacts with vasa in the Drosophila pole plasm and protects it from degradation. Curr Biol. 2003;13:1905-9 pubmed..We present evidence that FAF interacts with VAS physically and reverses VAS ubiquitination, thereby stabilizing VAS in the pole plasm. ..
- Lim C, Allada R. ATAXIN-2 activates PERIOD translation to sustain circadian rhythms in Drosophila. Science. 2013;340:875-9 pubmed publisher..Thus, ATX2 coordinates an active translation complex important for PER expression and circadian rhythms. ..
- Nishihara T, Zekri L, Braun J, Izaurralde E. miRISC recruits decapping factors to miRNA targets to enhance their degradation. Nucleic Acids Res. 2013;41:8692-705 pubmed publisher..Here, we demonstrate that miRISC enhances the association of the decapping activators DCP1, Me31B and HPat with deadenylated miRNA targets that accumulate when decapping is blocked...
- Antic S, Wolfinger M, Skucha A, Hosiner S, Dorner S. General and MicroRNA-Mediated mRNA Degradation Occurs on Ribosome Complexes in Drosophila Cells. Mol Cell Biol. 2015;35:2309-20 pubmed publisher..In summary, our findings strongly indicate the association of the majority of bulk mRNAs as well as mRNAs targeted by miRNAs with the ribosome during their degradation. ..
- Pinder B, Smibert C. microRNA-independent recruitment of Argonaute 1 to nanos mRNA through the Smaug RNA-binding protein. EMBO Rep. 2013;14:80-6 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data suggest a model whereby Smaug directly recruits Ago1 to nanos mRNA in a miRNA-independent manner, thereby repressing translation. ..
- Monzo K, Papoulas O, Cantin G, Wang Y, Yates J, Sisson J. Fragile X mental retardation protein controls trailer hitch expression and cleavage furrow formation in Drosophila embryos. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:18160-5 pubmed..dFMRP is observed to colocalize with the cytoplasmic RNP body components Maternal expression at 31B (ME31B) and Trailer Hitch (TRAL) in a punctate pattern throughout the cytoplasm of cleavage-stage ..
- Hopkins K, McLane L, Maqbool T, Panda D, Gordesky Gold B, Cherry S. A genome-wide RNAi screen reveals that mRNA decapping restricts bunyaviral replication by limiting the pools of Dcp2-accessible targets for cap-snatching. Genes Dev. 2013;27:1511-25 pubmed publisher..Dcp2, the catalytic component of the mRNA decapping machinery, and two decapping activators, DDX6 and LSM7, were antiviral against disparate bunyaviruses in both insect cells and adult flies...
- Lee Y, Pressman S, Andress A, Kim K, White J, Cassidy J, et al. Silencing by small RNAs is linked to endosomal trafficking. Nat Cell Biol. 2009;11:1150-6 pubmed publisher..It may provide a means to enhance the dynamics of RNA silencing in the cytoplasm. ..
- Nakahara K, Kim K, Sciulli C, Dowd S, Minden J, Carthew R. Targets of microRNA regulation in the Drosophila oocyte proteome. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:12023-8 pubmed..The preponderance of genes that control global protein abundance suggests this process is under tight control by miRNAs at the onset of fertilization. ..
- Shpargel K, Praveen K, Rajendra T, Matera A. Gemin3 is an essential gene required for larval motor function and pupation in Drosophila. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:90-101 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate the conservation of Gemin3 protein function in metazoan snRNP assembly and reveal that loss of either Smn or Gemin3 can contribute to neuromuscular dysfunction. ..
- Temme C, Zhang L, Kremmer E, Ihling C, Chartier A, Sinz A, et al. Subunits of the Drosophila CCR4-NOT complex and their roles in mRNA deadenylation. RNA. 2010;16:1356-70 pubmed publisher..Nocturnin may also be involved in mRNA deadenylation, whereas there is no evidence for a similar role of Angel and 3635. ..
- Sinka R, Jankovics F, Somogyi K, Szlanka T, Lukacsovich T, Erdelyi M. poirot, a new regulatory gene of Drosophila oskar acts at the level of the short Oskar protein isoform. Development. 2002;129:3469-78 pubmed..Furthermore, we demonstrate that poirot acts in an isoform-specific manner, only the short OSK isoform is affected, while the long OSK isoform remains at wild-type levels in poirot mutants. ..
- Aumiller V, Graebsch A, Kremmer E, Niessing D, Forstemann K. Drosophila Pur-? binds to trinucleotide-repeat containing cellular RNAs and translocates to the early oocyte. RNA Biol. 2012;9:633-43 pubmed publisher..Related sequences, such as r(CAG) 4 and the consensus sequence of the opa-repeat r(CAG) 3CAA, can also associate with Pur-? in vitro and in vivo. The mRNA target spectrum of Pur-? may therefore be larger than previously anticipated. ..
- Sudhakaran I, Hillebrand J, Dervan A, Das S, Holohan E, H lsmeier J, et al. FMRP and Ataxin-2 function together in long-term olfactory habituation and neuronal translational control. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:E99-E108 pubmed publisher..Strong transdominant genetic interactions among dFMR1, atx2, the deadbox helicase me31B, and argonaute1 (ago1) mutants, as well as coimmunoprecitation of dFMR1 with Atx2, indicate that dFMR1 and Atx2 ..
- de Valoir T, Tucker M, Belikoff E, Camp L, Bolduc C, Beckingham K. A second maternally expressed Drosophila gene encodes a putative RNA helicase of the "DEAD box" family. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1991;88:2113-7 pubmed..We have termed this gene ME31B to reflect its maternal (ovarian germ-line) expression and its location within the 31B chromosome region...
- DeHaan H, McCambridge A, Armstrong B, Cruse C, Solanki D, Trinidad J, et al. An inÂ vivo proteomic analysis of the Me31B interactome in Drosophila germ granules. FEBS Lett. 2017;591:3536-3547 pubmed publisherDrosophila Me31B is a conserved protein of germ granules, ribonucleoprotein complexes essential for germ cell development. Me31B post-transcriptionally regulates mRNAs by interacting with other germ granule proteins...
- Hillebrand J, Pan K, Kokaram A, Barbee S, Parker R, Ramaswami M. The Me31B DEAD-Box Helicase Localizes to Postsynaptic Foci and Regulates Expression of a CaMKII Reporter mRNA in Dendrites of Drosophila Olfactory Projection Neurons. Front Neural Circuits. 2010;4:121 pubmed publisher..of candidate synaptic mRNP particles, one of which contains a widely conserved, DEAD-box helicase, Me31B. In Drosophila, Me31B is required for translational repression of maternal and miRNA-target mRNAs...
- Haas G, Braun J, Igreja C, Tritschler F, Nishihara T, Izaurralde E. HPat provides a link between deadenylation and decapping in metazoa. J Cell Biol. 2010;189:289-302 pubmed publisher..g., Me31B, the LSm1-7 complex, and the decapping enzyme DCP2) and with components of the CCR4-NOT deadenylase complex...
- Szakmary A, Reedy M, Qi H, Lin H. The Yb protein defines a novel organelle and regulates male germline stem cell self-renewal in Drosophila melanogaster. J Cell Biol. 2009;185:613-27 pubmed publisher..The entire Yb protein is necessary for piwi expression in niche cells. A double mutant of Yb and a novel locus show male germline loss, revealing a function for Yb in male germline stem cell maintenance. ..
- Moore J, Han H, Lasko P. Bruno negatively regulates germ cell-less expression in a BRE-independent manner. Mech Dev. 2009;126:503-16 pubmed publisher..We conclude that repression by Bruno during oogenesis is required to restrict Gcl expression in the early embryo and that Bru represses gcl expression in a manner that involves RRM3 and a sequence unrelated to the BRE. ..
- Sluss H, Han Z, Barrett T, Goberdhan D, Wilson C, Davis R, et al. A JNK signal transduction pathway that mediates morphogenesis and an immune response in Drosophila. Genes Dev. 1996;10:2745-58 pubmed..These data demonstrate that the DJNK signal transduction pathway mediates an immune response and morphogenesis in vivo. ..
- Liu L, Qi H, Wang J, Lin H. PAPI, a novel TUDOR-domain protein, complexes with AGO3, ME31B and TRAL in the nuage to silence transposition. Development. 2011;138:1863-73 pubmed publisher..Moreover, AGO3 and PAPI associate with the P body component TRAL/ME31B complex in the nuage and transposon activation is observed in tral mutant ovaries...
- Thomson T, Liu N, Arkov A, Lehmann R, Lasko P. Isolation of new polar granule components in Drosophila reveals P body and ER associated proteins. Mech Dev. 2008;125:865-73 pubmed publisher..We identified Maternal expression at 31B (ME31B), eIF4A, Aubergine (AUB) and Transitional Endoplasmic Reticulum 94 (TER94) as components of both ..
- McCann C, Holohan E, Das S, Dervan A, Larkin A, Lee J, et al. The Ataxin-2 protein is required for microRNA function and synapse-specific long-term olfactory habituation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:E655-62 pubmed publisher..Atx2 has been shown previously to bind DEAD box helicases of the Me31B family, proteins associated with Argonaute (Ago) and microRNA (miRNA) function...
- Lee J, Yoo E, Lee H, Park K, Hur J, Lim C. LSM12 and ME31B/DDX6 Define Distinct Modes of Posttranscriptional Regulation by ATAXIN-2 Protein Complex in Drosophila Circadian Pacemaker Neurons. Mol Cell. 2017;66:129-140.e7 pubmed publisher..Here we employ the posttranscriptional co-activator function of Drosophila ATX2 to demonstrate that LSM12 and ME31B/DDX6 are two ATX2-associating factors crucial for sustaining circadian rhythms...