Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: mats
Description: mob as tumor suppressor
Alias: CG13852, DMob1, Dmel\CG13852, Dmob1, Mats, Mob1, anon-WO0118547.303, dmob1, mob as tumor suppressor, CG13852-PA, CG13852-PB, CG13852-PC, Mob as tumor suppresso, Mob as tumor suppressor, mats-PA, mats-PB, mats-PC
Species: fruit fly
- Fernández B, Gaspar P, Bras Pereira C, Jezowska B, Rebelo S, Janody F. Actin-Capping Protein and the Hippo pathway regulate F-actin and tissue growth in Drosophila. Development. 2011;138:2337-46 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings indicate a novel interplay between Hippo pathway activity and actin filament dynamics that is essential for normal growth control. ..
- Poon C, Lin J, Zhang X, Harvey K. The sterile 20-like kinase Tao-1 controls tissue growth by regulating the Salvador-Warts-Hippo pathway. Dev Cell. 2011;21:896-906 pubmed publisher..Given that SWH pathway activity is subverted in many human cancers, our findings identify human TAO kinases as potential tumor suppressor genes. ..
- Wei X, Shimizu T, Lai Z. Mob as tumor suppressor is activated by Hippo kinase for growth inhibition in Drosophila. EMBO J. 2007;26:1772-81 pubmed..Here we provide evidence that the Mob as tumor suppressor protein, Mats, functions as a key component of the Hpo signaling pathway...
- Oh H, Irvine K. In vivo regulation of Yorkie phosphorylation and localization. Development. 2008;135:1081-8 pubmed publisher..These results identify modulation of subcellular localization as a mechanism of Yki regulation, and establish that this regulation occurs in vivo through multiple sites of Warts-dependent phosphorylation on Yki. ..
- Truscott M, Islam A, Lopez Bigas N, Frolov M. mir-11 limits the proapoptotic function of its host gene, dE2f1. Genes Dev. 2011;25:1820-34 pubmed publisher..Thus, our data support a model in which the coexpression of miR-11 limits the proapoptotic function of its host gene, dE2f1, upon DNA damage by directly modulating a dE2F1-dependent apoptotic transcriptional program. ..
- Shimizu T, Ho L, Lai Z. The mob as tumor suppressor gene is essential for early development and regulates tissue growth in Drosophila. Genetics. 2008;178:957-65 pubmed publisher..Expanded (Ex), Hippo (Hpo), Salvador (Sav)/Shar-pei, Warts (Wts)/Large tumor suppressor (Lats), and Mob as tumor suppressor (Mats), which are all evolutionarily conserved in vertebrate animals...
- Vrabioiu A, Struhl G. Fat/Dachsous Signaling Promotes Drosophila Wing Growth by Regulating the Conformational State of the NDR Kinase Warts. Dev Cell. 2015;35:737-49 pubmed publisher..on its transition from an inactive, "closed" conformation to a potentially active, "open" conformation mediated by Mats, a conserved Mps1-binder (Mob) protein...
- Zheng Y, Wang W, Liu B, Deng H, Uster E, Pan D. Identification of Happyhour/MAP4K as Alternative Hpo/Mst-like Kinases in the Hippo Kinase Cascade. Dev Cell. 2015;34:642-55 pubmed publisher..These Hpo/Mst-like kinases provide an expanded view of the Hippo kinase cascade in development and physiology. ..
- Nicolay B, Bayarmagnai B, Islam A, Lopez Bigas N, Frolov M. Cooperation between dE2F1 and Yki/Sd defines a distinct transcriptional program necessary to bypass cell cycle exit. Genes Dev. 2011;25:323-35 pubmed publisher..We suggest that such functional interactions would influence Yki activity and help diversify the transcriptional output of the Hippo pathway. ..
- Sun S, Zhao S, Wang Z. Genes of Hippo signaling network act unconventionally in the control of germline proliferation in Drosophila. Dev Dyn. 2008;237:270-5 pubmed..It appears that expanded acts from the somatic support cells surrounding the germline to restrict spermatogonial amplification. ..
- Hariharan I. Growth regulation: a beginning for the hippo pathway. Curr Biol. 2006;16:R1037-9 pubmed..A signaling pathway involving two protein kinases, Hippo and Warts, restricts the growth of imaginal discs in Drosophila. Four recent studies taken together show that the protocadherin Fat can regulate Warts in two different ways. ..
- Bateman J, McNeill H. Seeing in color--warts and all. Dev Cell. 2005;9:441-2 pubmed..show that cell fate decisions needed for color vision are dependent on a bistable negative feedback loop between genes previously implicated in cell proliferation (warts) and growth (melted). ..
- BARRON D, Kagey J. The role of the Hippo pathway in human disease and tumorigenesis. Clin Transl Med. 2014;3:25 pubmed publisher..The common activation of YAP in many different tumor types provides an attractive target for potential therapeutic intervention. ..
- Yin F, Yu J, Zheng Y, Chen Q, Zhang N, Pan D. Spatial organization of Hippo signaling at the plasma membrane mediated by the tumor suppressor Merlin/NF2. Cell. 2013;154:1342-55 pubmed publisher..Our findings elucidate an important molecular function of Merlin and highlight the plasma membrane as a critical subcellular compartment for Hippo signal transduction. ..
- He Y, Emoto K, Fang X, Ren N, Tian X, Jan Y, et al. Drosophila Mob family proteins interact with the related tricornered (Trc) and warts (Wts) kinases. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:4139-52 pubmed..Interestingly, the overgrowth tumor phenotype that results from mutations in Dmob1 (mats) was only seen in genetic mosaics and not when the entire animal was mutant...
- Zhang Y, Lai Z. Mob as tumor suppressor is regulated by bantam microRNA through a feedback loop for tissue growth control. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2013;439:438-42 pubmed publisher..In this report, we show that bantam microRNA functions to increase the level of the Mob as tumor suppressor protein Mats, a core component of the Hippo pathway, but does not regulate mats at the transcript level...
- Wehr M, Holder M, Gailite I, Saunders R, Maile T, Ciirdaeva E, et al. Salt-inducible kinases regulate growth through the Hippo signalling pathway in Drosophila. Nat Cell Biol. 2013;15:61-71 pubmed..core is a kinase cassette, comprising the kinases Hpo and Warts (Wts) and the scaffold proteins Salvador (Sav) and Mats, which inactivates the pro-growth transcriptional co-activator Yorkie (Yki)...
- Schulte J, Sepp K, Jorquera R, Wu C, Song Y, Hong P, et al. DMob4/Phocein regulates synapse formation, axonal transport, and microtubule organization. J Neurosci. 2010;30:5189-203 pubmed publisher..Models for Mob function are primarily based on studies of Mob1 and Mob2 family members in yeast...
- Ye X, Deng Y, Lai Z. Akt is negatively regulated by Hippo signaling for growth inhibition in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2012;369:115-23 pubmed publisher..Thus, Hippo signaling not only blocks cell division and promotes apoptosis, but also regulates cellular growth by inhibiting the Akt pathway activity. ..
- Lucas E, Khanal I, Gaspar P, Fletcher G, Polesello C, Tapon N, et al. The Hippo pathway polarizes the actin cytoskeleton during collective migration of Drosophila border cells. J Cell Biol. 2013;201:875-85 pubmed publisher..Instead, Warts phosphorylates and inhibits the actin regulator Ena to activate F-actin Capping protein activity on inner membranes and thereby restricts F-actin polymerization mainly to the outer rim of the migrating cluster. ..
- Laprise P. Emerging role for epithelial polarity proteins of the Crumbs family as potential tumor suppressors. J Biomed Biotechnol. 2011;2011:868217 pubmed publisher..Thereby, these studies provide a molecular basis explaining how regulation of epithelial polarity is coupled to tumorogenesis. ..
- Robbins R, Gbur S, Beitel G. Non-canonical roles for Yorkie and Drosophila Inhibitor of Apoptosis 1 in epithelial tube size control. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e101609 pubmed publisher..Strikingly, there is no change in tracheal cell number in DIAP1 or Ice mutants, thus epithelial tube size regulation defines new non-apoptotic roles for Yki, DIAP1 and Ice. ..
- Zhang T, Zhou Q, Pignoni F. Yki/YAP, Sd/TEAD and Hth/MEIS control tissue specification in the Drosophila eye disc epithelium. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e22278 pubmed publisher..Our results support a critical role for Yki- and its partners Sd and Hth--in shaping the fate map of the eye epithelium independently of its universal role as a regulator of proliferation and survival. ..
- Sun S, Reddy B, Irvine K. Localization of Hippo signalling complexes and Warts activation in vivo. Nat Commun. 2015;6:8402 pubmed publisher..Our observations define spatial relationships among Hippo signalling components and establish the functional importance of their localization to Warts activation. ..
- Dutta S, Baehrecke E. Warts is required for PI3K-regulated growth arrest, autophagy, and autophagic cell death in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2008;18:1466-75 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate that the Wts-pathway components Yki, Sd, and bantam fail to function in salivary glands and that Wts regulates salivary gland cell death in a PI3K-dependent manner. ..
- Jukam D, Desplan C. Binary regulation of Hippo pathway by Merlin/NF2, Kibra, Lgl, and Melted specifies and maintains postmitotic neuronal fate. Dev Cell. 2011;21:874-87 pubmed publisher..These results reveal roles for Merlin, Kibra, and Lgl in neuronal specification and maintenance and show that the Hippo pathway is reimplemented for sensory neuron fate by combining canonical and noncanonical regulatory steps. ..
- Schuldiner O, Berdnik D, Levy J, Wu J, Luginbuhl D, Gontang A, et al. piggyBac-based mosaic screen identifies a postmitotic function for cohesin in regulating developmental axon pruning. Dev Cell. 2008;14:227-38 pubmed publisher..We also demonstrate a postmitotic role for SMC1 in dendrite targeting of olfactory projection neurons. We suggest that cohesin regulates diverse aspects of neuronal morphogenesis...
- Yang Y, Gupta V, Ho L, Zhou B, Fan Q, Zhu Z, et al. Both upstream and downstream intergenic regions are critical for the mob as tumor suppressor gene activity in Drosophila. FEBS Lett. 2008;582:1766-70 pubmed publisherThe Drosophila mats gene plays a critical role in growth control. Using molecular genetic approaches we investigated how mats is regulated in development...
- Fausti F, Di Agostino S, Sacconi A, Strano S, Blandino G. Hippo and rassf1a Pathways: A Growing Affair. Mol Biol Int. 2012;2012:307628 pubmed publisher..Recently, the impact of RASSF proteins on Hippo signaling potentiating its proapoptotic activity has been addressed, thus, providing further evidence for Hippo's key role in mammalian tumorigenesis as well as other important diseases. ..
- Fang X, Adler P. Regulation of cell shape, wing hair initiation and the actin cytoskeleton by Trc/Fry and Wts/Mats complexes. Dev Biol. 2010;341:360-74 pubmed publisher..In addition, we showed that the effects on cell shape and the timing of differentiation appear to be not linked to changes in relative growth rate of cells compared to their neighbors. ..
- Menut L, Vaccari T, Dionne H, Hill J, Wu G, Bilder D. A mosaic genetic screen for Drosophila neoplastic tumor suppressor genes based on defective pupation. Genetics. 2007;177:1667-77 pubmed..The isolation of additional loci that affect hyperplastic as well as neoplastic growth indicates the utility of this screening strategy for studying epithelial growth control. ..
- Huang H, Wang S, Yin M, Dong L, Wang C, Wu W, et al. Par-1 regulates tissue growth by influencing hippo phosphorylation status and hippo-salvador association. PLoS Biol. 2013;11:e1001620 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we provided evidence that Par-1-induced Hpo regulation is conserved in mammalian cells. Taken together, our findings identified Par-1 as a novel component of the Hpo signaling network. ..
- Zhang L, Yang S, Wennmann D, Chen Y, Kremerskothen J, Dong J. KIBRA: In the brain and beyond. Cell Signal. 2014;26:1392-9 pubmed publisher..At the biochemical level, KIBRA protein is highly phosphorylated by various kinases in epithelial cells. Here, we discuss the updates concerning the function and regulation of KIBRA in the brain and beyond. ..