Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: mael
Alias: CG11254, Dmel\CG11254, MAEL, Mael, mae1, maelstrom, CG11254-PA, CG11254-PB, CG11254-PC, CG11254-PD, mael-PA, mael-PB, mael-PC, mael-PD
Species: fruit fly
- Clegg N, Frost D, Larkin M, Subrahmanyan L, Bryant Z, Ruohola Baker H. maelstrom is required for an early step in the establishment of Drosophila oocyte polarity: posterior localization of grk mRNA. Development. 1997;124:4661-71 pubmedWe describe a mutant, maelstrom, that disrupts a previously unobserved step in mRNA localization within the early oocyte, distinct from nurse-cell-to-oocyte RNA transport...
- Pek J, Ng B, Kai T. Polo-mediated phosphorylation of Maelstrom regulates oocyte determination during oogenesis in Drosophila. Development. 2012;139:4505-13 pubmed publisherIn Drosophila, Maelstrom is a conserved component of the perinuclear nuage, a germline-unique structure that appears to serve as a site for Piwi-interacting RNA (piRNA) production to repress deleterious transposons...
- Sienski G, Donertas D, Brennecke J. Transcriptional silencing of transposons by Piwi and maelstrom and its impact on chromatin state and gene expression. Cell. 2012;151:964-80 pubmed publisher..Here, we show that the HMG protein Maelstrom is essential for Piwi-mediated silencing in Drosophila...
- Klenov M, Sokolova O, Yakushev E, Stolyarenko A, Mikhaleva E, Lavrov S, et al. Separation of stem cell maintenance and transposon silencing functions of Piwi protein. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:18760-5 pubmed publisher..We suggest that the Piwi function in GSC self-renewal is independent of transposon repression and is normally realized in the cytoplasm of GSC niche cells. ..
- Findley S, Tamanaha M, Clegg N, Ruohola Baker H. Maelstrom, a Drosophila spindle-class gene, encodes a protein that colocalizes with Vasa and RDE1/AGO1 homolog, Aubergine, in nuage. Development. 2003;130:859-71 pubmed..We have characterized a null allele of maelstrom (mael) and shown that Maelstrom protein is localized to nuage in a Vasa-dependent manner...
- Obbard D, Gordon K, Buck A, Jiggins F. The evolution of RNAi as a defence against viruses and transposable elements. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2009;364:99-115 pubmed publisher..Over longer time scales, key RNAi genes are repeatedly duplicated or lost across the metazoan phylogeny, with important implications for RNAi as an immune defence. ..
- Cook H, Koppetsch B, Wu J, Theurkauf W. The Drosophila SDE3 homolog armitage is required for oskar mRNA silencing and embryonic axis specification. Cell. 2004;116:817-29 pubmed..We conclude that RNA silencing is essential for establishment of the cytoskeletal polarity that initiates embryonic axis specification and for translational control of oskar mRNA. ..
- Anand A, Kai T. The tudor domain protein kumo is required to assemble the nuage and to generate germline piRNAs in Drosophila. EMBO J. 2012;31:870-82 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that kumo facilitates germline piRNA production by promoting piRNA cluster transcription in the nucleus and piRNA processing at the nuage. ..
- Ferree P, Frydman H, Li J, Cao J, Wieschaus E, Sullivan W. Wolbachia utilizes host microtubules and Dynein for anterior localization in the Drosophila oocyte. PLoS Pathog. 2005;1:e14 pubmed..These interactions may also play a role in bacterial motility and replication, ultimately leading to the bacteria's efficient maternal transmission. ..
- Sato K, Siomi M. Functional and structural insights into the piRNA factor Maelstrom. FEBS Lett. 2015;589:1688-93 pubmed publisher..b>Mael, which comprises a high mobility group box and a MAEL domain, is one of the key players in piRNA-mediated ..
- Molla Herman A, VallÃ©s A, Ganem Elbaz C, Antoniewski C, Huynh J. tRNA processing defects induce replication stress and Chk2-dependent disruption of piRNA transcription. EMBO J. 2015;34:3009-27 pubmed publisher..Our data thus link tRNA processing, DNA replication, and genome defense by small RNAs. This unexpected connection reveals constraints that could shape genome organization during evolution. ..
- Anne J. Targeting and anchoring Tudor in the pole plasm of the Drosophila oocyte. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e14362 pubmed publisher..However, in mutants for genes encoding components of the nuage, including vasa, aubergine, maelstrom, and krimper, Tudor was detached from the posterior cortex in stage 10 oocytes, suggesting a prior passage in ..
- Patil V, Anand A, Chakrabarti A, Kai T. The Tudor domain protein Tapas, a homolog of the vertebrate Tdrd7, functions in the piRNA pathway to regulate retrotransposons in germline of Drosophila melanogaster. BMC Biol. 2014;12:61 pubmed publisher..tej and tap also function in a synergistic manner to maintain examined piRNA components at the perinuclear nuage and for piRNA production in Drosophila germline cells. ..
- Clegg N, Findley S, Mahowald A, Ruohola Baker H. Maelstrom is required to position the MTOC in stage 2-6 Drosophila oocytes. Dev Genes Evol. 2001;211:44-8 pubmed..Here we present data that are consistent with the hypothesis that maelstrom is required for posterior positioning of the MTOC.
- Chen Y, Aravin A. Non-Coding RNAs in Transcriptional Regulation: The review for Current Molecular Biology Reports. Curr Mol Biol Rep. 2015;1:10-18 pubmed..Furthermore, a rapidly growing number long non-coding RNAs (lncRNAs) have been implicated as important players in transcription regulation. We will discuss current models for long non-coding RNA-mediated gene regulation. ..
- Genzor P, Bortvin A. A unique HMG-box domain of mouse Maelstrom binds structured RNA but not double stranded DNA. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0120268 pubmed publisher..Here we studied Maelstrom (MAEL), which is essential for piRNA biogenesis and germ cell differentiation in flies and mice...
- Donertas D, Sienski G, Brennecke J. Drosophila Gtsf1 is an essential component of the Piwi-mediated transcriptional silencing complex. Genes Dev. 2013;27:1693-705 pubmed publisher..We propose that only a small fraction of nuclear Piwi is actively engaged in target silencing and that Gtsf1 is an essential component of the underlying Piwi-centered silencing complex. ..
- Kelleher E, Edelman N, Barbash D. Drosophila interspecific hybrids phenocopy piRNA-pathway mutants. PLoS Biol. 2012;10:e1001428 pubmed publisher..We suggest that TE derepression in interspecific hybrids largely reflects adaptive divergence of piRNA pathway genes rather than species-specific differences in TE-derived piRNAs. ..
- Pare C, Suter B. Subcellular localization of Bic-D::GFP is linked to an asymmetric oocyte nucleus. J Cell Sci. 2000;113 ( Pt 12):2119-27 pubmed..Dynein heavy chain (Dhc), spindle (spn) genes and maelstrom (mael) are required for the re-localization of the Bic-D::GFP focus from its anterior to its posterior oocyte ..
- Castillo D, Mell J, Box K, Blumenstiel J. Molecular evolution under increasing transposable element burden in Drosophila: a speed limit on the evolutionary arms race. BMC Evol Biol. 2011;11:258 pubmed publisher..Third, we test whether increasing TE abundance is correlated with greater codon bias in genes of the piRNA machinery. This is predicted if increasing TE abundance selects for increased efficiency in the machinery of genome defense...
- Kibanov M, Gvozdev V, Olenina L. Germ granules in spermatogenesis of Drosophila: Evidences of contribution to the piRNA silencing. Commun Integr Biol. 2012;5:130-3 pubmed publisher..In this mini-review, we analyze the recent published data about structure and functions of Drosophila male germ granules, and especially their involvement in the piRNA silencing pathway. ..
- Hayashi R, Wainwright S, Liddell S, Pinchin S, Horswell S, Ish Horowicz D. A genetic screen based on in vivo RNA imaging reveals centrosome-independent mechanisms for localizing gurken transcripts in Drosophila. G3 (Bethesda). 2014;4:749-60 pubmed publisher..We also show that initiation of the dorsoanterior localization of grk mRNA precedes centrosome localization, suggesting that microtubule self-organization contributes to breaking axial symmetry to generate a unique dorsoventral axis. ..
- Huang F, Paulson A, Dutta A, Venkatesh S, Smolle M, Abmayr S, et al. Histone acetyltransferase Enok regulates oocyte polarization by promoting expression of the actin nucleation factor spire. Genes Dev. 2014;28:2750-63 pubmed publisher..RNA sequencing (RNA-seq) analysis revealed that spire (spir) and maelstrom (mael), both required for the posterior localization of Osk in the oocyte, were down-regulated in enok mutants...
- Kolaczkowski B, Hupalo D, Kern A. Recurrent adaptation in RNA interference genes across the Drosophila phylogeny. Mol Biol Evol. 2011;28:1033-42 pubmed publisher..Our observations suggest a predictive model of how selective pressures generated by evolutionary arms race scenarios may affect multiple genes across protein interaction networks and other biochemical pathways. ..
- Park D, Hadzic T, Yin P, Rusch J, Abruzzi K, Rosbash M, et al. Molecular organization of Drosophila neuroendocrine cells by Dimmed. Curr Biol. 2011;21:1515-24 pubmed publisher..vesicle (LDCV) proteins, but also proteins in non-LDCV compartments such as the RNA-associated protein Maelstrom. In addition, a functional in vivo assay, combining transgenic RNA interference with MS-based peptidomics, ..
- Pek J, Kai T. Non-coding RNAs enter mitosis: functions, conservation and implications. Cell Div. 2011;6:6 pubmed publisher..We also highlight relevant studies implicating mitotic roles for RNAs and/or nuage in other model systems and their implications for cancer development. ..
- Minakhina S, Changela N, Steward R. Zfrp8/PDCD2 is required in ovarian stem cells and interacts with the piRNA pathway machinery. Development. 2014;141:259-68 pubmed publisher..We also show that Zfrp8 forms a complex with the piRNA pathway protein Maelstrom and controls the accumulation of Maelstrom in the nuage...
- Huang H, Li Y, Szulwach K, Zhang G, Jin P, Chen D. AGO3 Slicer activity regulates mitochondria-nuage localization of Armitage and piRNA amplification. J Cell Biol. 2014;206:217-30 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our findings uncover a new mechanism that couples mitochondria with nuage to regulate secondary piRNA amplification. ..
- Chekulaeva M, Ephrussi A. Drosophila development: RNA interference ab ovo. Curr Biol. 2004;14:R428-30 pubmed..In armitage mutants, oocyte polarity and the regulation of oskar mRNA translation are impaired, suggesting that RNA silencing regulates the first steps of Drosophila development. ..