Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: lola
Description: longitudinals lacking
Alias: BEST:LD03274, BTB-IV, BcDNA:LD17006, BcDNA:RH31485, BtbIV, CG12052, CG18376, CG18378, CG18379, CG18380, CG18381, CG30012, CG30013, CG30014, Dmel\CG12052, LD03274, Lola, NEST:bs06a08, bs06a08.y1, btb, eyeful, fus7, l(2)00642, l(2)s3697, sw59, longitudinals lacking, BTB-protein-IV, CG12052-PA, CG12052-PAA, CG12052-PB, CG12052-PC, CG12052-PD, CG12052-PE, CG12052-PF, CG12052-PG, CG12052-PH, CG12052-PI, CG12052-PJ, CG12052-PK, CG12052-PL, CG12052-PM, CG12052-PO, CG12052-PP, CG12052-PQ, CG12052-PR, CG12052-PT, CG12052-PU, CG12052-PV, CG12052-PW, CG12052-PX, CG12052-PY, CG12052-PZ, SGP cluster fusion defects 7, bumper-to-bumper, eyeful, lola-PA, lola-PAA, lola-PB, lola-PC, lola-PD, lola-PE, lola-PF, lola-PG, lola-PH, lola-PI, lola-PJ, lola-PK, lola-PL, lola-PM, lola-PO, lola-PP, lola-PQ, lola-PR, lola-PT, lola-PU, lola-PV, lola-PW, lola-PX, lola-PY, lola-PZ, longitudinal lacking, longitudinals absent, longitudinals-lacking, misguided
Species: fruit fly
- Bonchuk A, Denisov S, Georgiev P, Maksimenko O. Drosophila BTB/POZ domains of "ttk group" can form multimers and selectively interact with each other. J Mol Biol. 2011;412:423-36 pubmed publisherThe BTB (bric-a-brac, tramtrack and broad complex)/POZ (poxvirus and zinc finger) domain is a conserved protein-protein interaction motif contained in a variety of transcription factors involved in development, chromatin remodeling, ..
- Neumüller R, Richter C, Fischer A, Novatchkova M, Neumüller K, Knoblich J. Genome-wide analysis of self-renewal in Drosophila neural stem cells by transgenic RNAi. Cell Stem Cell. 2011;8:580-93 pubmed publisher..Brm complex, the spliceosome, and the TRiC/CCT-complex and show that the alternatively spliced transcription factor Lola and the transcriptional elongation factors Ssrp and Barc control self-renewal in neuroblast lineages...
- Madden K, Crowner D, Giniger E. LOLA has the properties of a master regulator of axon-target interaction for SNb motor axons of Drosophila. Dev Biol. 1999;213:301-13 pubmed..We show here that the transcription factor LOLA is required for pathfinding and targeting of the SNb motor nerve in Drosophila...
- Brenman J, Gao F, Jan L, Jan Y. Sequoia, a tramtrack-related zinc finger protein, functions as a pan-neural regulator for dendrite and axon morphogenesis in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2001;1:667-77 pubmed
- Horowitz H, Berg C. The Drosophila pipsqueak gene encodes a nuclear BTB-domain-containing protein required early in oogenesis. Development. 1996;122:1859-71 pubmed..PsqA contains a BTB (POZ) domain at its amino terminus; additionally, we have identified an evolutionarily conserved motif of unknown ..
- Cavarec L, Jensen S, Casella J, Cristescu S, Heidmann T. Molecular cloning and characterization of a transcription factor for the copia retrotransposon with homology to the BTB-containing lola neurogenic factor. Mol Cell Biol. 1997;17:482-94 pubmed..Southern blot and nucleotide sequence analyses revealed a related gene in Drosophila melanogaster (the lola gene) previously identified by a genetic approach as involved in axon growth and guidance...
- Ferres Marco D, Gutierrez Garcia I, Vallejo D, Bolivar J, Gutiérrez Aviñó F, Dominguez M. Epigenetic silencers and Notch collaborate to promote malignant tumours by Rb silencing. Nature. 2006;439:430-6 pubmed..tumorigenesis in the Drosophila eye, here we identify two Polycomb group epigenetic silencers, Pipsqueak and Lola, that participate in this process...
- Goeke S, Greene E, Grant P, Gates M, Crowner D, Aigaki T, et al. Alternative splicing of lola generates 19 transcription factors controlling axon guidance in Drosophila. Nat Neurosci. 2003;6:917-24 pubmedThe Drosophila melanogaster transcription factor Lola (longitudinals lacking) is a pivotal regulator of neural wiring that sets the precise expression levels of proteins that execute specific axon guidance decisions...
- Zollman S, Godt D, Prive G, Couderc J, Laski F. The BTB domain, found primarily in zinc finger proteins, defines an evolutionarily conserved family that includes several developmentally regulated genes in Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1994;91:10717-21 pubmed..and Broad-Complex contain a highly conserved domain of approximately 115 amino acids, which we have called the BTB domain. We have identified six additional Drosophila genes that encode this domain...
- Crowner D, Madden K, Goeke S, Giniger E. Lola regulates midline crossing of CNS axons in Drosophila. Development. 2002;129:1317-25 pubmed..Previous work has shown that the transcription factor Lola is required for central nervous system (CNS) axons of Drosophila to extend longitudinally...
- Zhang D, Zhou W, Yin C, Chen W, Ozawa R, Ang L, et al. Misexpression screen for genes altering the olfactory map in Drosophila. Genesis. 2006;44:189-201 pubmed..Our finding of diverse classes of genes reveals the complexity of the mechanisms that underlie olfactory map development. ..
- Seeger M, Tear G, Ferres Marco D, Goodman C. Mutations affecting growth cone guidance in Drosophila: genes necessary for guidance toward or away from the midline. Neuron. 1993;10:409-26 pubmed..The phenotypes of these two genes suggest that they may encode components of attractive and repulsive signaling systems at the midline that either guide growth cones across the midline or keep them on their own side. ..
- Spletter M, Liu J, Liu J, Su H, Giniger E, Komiyama T, et al. Lola regulates Drosophila olfactory projection neuron identity and targeting specificity. Neural Dev. 2007;2:14 pubmed..We find that the loss of longitudinals lacking (lola), which encodes a BTB-Zn-finger transcription factor with 20 predicted splice isoforms, results in ..
- Zheng L, Carthew R. Lola regulates cell fate by antagonizing Notch induction in the Drosophila eye. Mech Dev. 2008;125:18-29 pubmedb>Lola is a transcription repressor that regulates axon guidance in the developing embryonic nervous system of Drosophila...
- Le Gall M, Giniger E. Identification of two binding regions for the suppressor of hairless protein within the intracellular domain of Drosophila notch. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:29418-26 pubmed..Moreover, they suggest a second function for the Notch nuclear localization sequence elements. ..
- Klebes A, Biehs B, Cifuentes F, Kornberg T. Expression profiling of Drosophila imaginal discs. Genome Biol. 2002;3:RESEARCH0038 pubmed..These methods should be widely applicable to comparisons of expression profiles for tissues or parts of tissues that are available only in small amounts. ..
- Spokony R, Restifo L. Anciently duplicated Broad Complex exons have distinct temporal functions during tissue morphogenesis. Dev Genes Evol. 2007;217:499-513 pubmed publisher..Tramtrack subfamily members, abrupt, tramtrack, fruitless, longitudinals lacking (lola), and CG31666 were characterized throughout Holometabola and used to root phylogenetic analyses of ..
- Dobi K, Halfon M, Baylies M. Whole-genome analysis of muscle founder cells implicates the chromatin regulator Sin3A in muscle identity. Cell Rep. 2014;8:858-70 pubmed publisher..Our data implicate Sin3A as a key buffer controlling muscle responsiveness to transcription factors in the formation of muscle identity, thereby generating tissue diversity. ..
- RÃos Barrera L, GutiÃ©rrez PÃ©rez I, DomÃnguez M, Riesgo Escovar J. acal is a long non-coding RNA in JNK signaling in epithelial shape changes during drosophila dorsal closure. PLoS Genet. 2015;11:e1004927 pubmed publisher..Cka is a conserved scaffold protein that brings together JNK and Jun, and aop is a transcription factor. Misregulation of Cka and aop can account for dorsal closure phenotypes in acal mutants. ..
- Vallejo D, Caparros E, Dominguez M. Targeting Notch signalling by the conserved miR-8/200 microRNA family in development and cancer cells. EMBO J. 2011;30:756-69 pubmed publisher..Together, these data define a new way to attenuate or boost Notch signalling that may have clinical interest. ..
- Bossuyt W, De Geest N, Aerts S, Leenaerts I, Marynen P, Hassan B. The atonal proneural transcription factor links differentiation and tumor formation in Drosophila. PLoS Biol. 2009;7:e40 pubmed publisher..Combined with evidence that atonal's mammalian homolog, ATOH1, is a tumor suppressor gene, our data support a critical, evolutionarily conserved, function for ato in oncogenesis. ..
- Aoki T, Sarkeshik A, Yates J, Schedl P. Elba, a novel developmentally regulated chromatin boundary factor is a hetero-tripartite DNA binding complex. elife. 2012;1:e00171 pubmed publisher..We show that Elba is an unusual hetero-tripartite protein complex that requires all three proteins for DNA binding and insulator activity.DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.7554/eLife.00171.001. ..
- Fukui A, Inaki M, Tonoe G, Hamatani H, Homma M, Morimoto T, et al. Lola regulates glutamate receptor expression at the Drosophila neuromuscular junction. Biol Open. 2012;1:362-75 pubmed publisher..By systematic functional analysis, we found that one of the downregulated genes, longitudinals lacking (lola), which encodes a BTB-Zn-finger transcription factor, is required for proper expression of glutamate ..
- Silva D, Olsen K, Bednarz M, Droste A, Lenkeit C, Chaharbakhshi E, et al. Regulation of Gonad Morphogenesis in Drosophila melanogaster by BTB Family Transcription Factors. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0167283 pubmed publisher..We have characterized the phenotypes of two genes, longitudinals lacking (lola) and ribbon (rib), that are required for the coalescence and compaction of the embryonic gonad in ..
- Barrios N, GonzÃ¡lez PÃ©rez E, HernÃ¡ndez R, Campuzano S. The Homeodomain Iroquois Proteins Control Cell Cycle Progression and Regulate the Size of Developmental Fields. PLoS Genet. 2015;11:e1005463 pubmed publisher..Thus, Drosophila Iroquois proteins are able to regulate cell-autonomously the growth of the territories they specify. Moreover, our results provide a molecular mechanism for a role of Iroquois/Irx genes as tumour suppressors. ..
- Therianos S, Leuzinger S, Hirth F, Goodman C, Reichert H. Embryonic development of the Drosophila brain: formation of commissural and descending pathways. Development. 1995;121:3849-60 pubmed
- Milan M, Weihe U, Perez L, Cohen S. The LRR proteins capricious and Tartan mediate cell interactions during DV boundary formation in the Drosophila wing. Cell. 2001;106:785-94 pubmed
- Keynes R, Cook G. Axon guidance molecules. Cell. 1995;83:161-9 pubmed
- Mukai M, Hayashi Y, Kitadate Y, Shigenobu S, Arita K, Kobayashi S. MAMO, a maternal BTB/POZ-Zn-finger protein enriched in germline progenitors is required for the production of functional eggs in Drosophila. Mech Dev. 2007;124:570-83 pubmed..MAMO protein which contains both a BTB/POZ (Broad Complex, Tramtrack, Bric-a-brac/Pox virus and Zinc finger) domain and C(2)H(2) zinc finger motifs is ..
- PÃ©rez E, Das G, Bergmann A, Baehrecke E. Autophagy regulates tissue overgrowth in a context-dependent manner. Oncogene. 2015;34:3369-76 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that autophagy has different influences on tissue growth in distinct contexts, and highlight the importance of understanding the influence of autophagy on growth to augment a rationale therapeutic strategy. ..
- Weyers J, Milutinovich A, Takeda Y, Jemc J, Van Doren M. A genetic screen for mutations affecting gonad formation in Drosophila reveals a role for the slit/robo pathway. Dev Biol. 2011;353:217-28 pubmed publisher..Our findings shed light on the complexities of gonadogenesis and the genetic regulation required for proper organ formation. ..
- Kazemian M, Zhu Q, Halfon M, Sinha S. Improved accuracy of supervised CRM discovery with interpolated Markov models and cross-species comparison. Nucleic Acids Res. 2011;39:9463-72 pubmed publisher..We make our program available as downloadable source code, and as a plugin for a genome browser installed on our servers. ..
- Baker B, Taylor B, Hall J. Are complex behaviors specified by dedicated regulatory genes? Reasoning from Drosophila. Cell. 2001;105:13-24 pubmed
- Gisselbrecht S, Barrera L, Porsch M, Aboukhalil A, Estep P, Vedenko A, et al. Highly parallel assays of tissue-specific enhancers in whole Drosophila embryos. Nat Methods. 2013;10:774-80 pubmed publisher..Application of eFS to other cell types and organisms should accelerate the cataloging of enhancers and understanding how transcriptional regulation is encoded in them. ..
- Enuameh M, Asriyan Y, Richards A, Christensen R, Hall V, Kazemian M, et al. Global analysis of Drosophila Cys?-His? zinc finger proteins reveals a multitude of novel recognition motifs and binding determinants. Genome Res. 2013;23:928-40 pubmed publisher..These hybrids of natural and artificial fingers can be used to create functional zinc finger nucleases for editing vertebrate genomes. ..
- Waldholm J, Wang Z, Brodin D, Tyagi A, Yu S, Theopold U, et al. SWI/SNF regulates the alternative processing of a specific subset of pre-mRNAs in Drosophila melanogaster. BMC Mol Biol. 2011;12:46 pubmed publisher..The effect is restricted to and specific for a subset of transcripts. Our results provide novel insights into the mechanisms by which SWI/SNF regulates transcript diversity and proteomic diversity in higher eukaryotes. ..
- Liefke R, Oswald F, Alvarado C, Ferres Marco D, Mittler G, Rodriguez P, et al. Histone demethylase KDM5A is an integral part of the core Notch-RBP-J repressor complex. Genes Dev. 2010;24:590-601 pubmed publisher..KDM5A interacts physically with RBP-J; this interaction is conserved in Drosophila and is crucial for Notch-induced growth and tumorigenesis responses. ..
- Kim S, Shi H, Lee D, Lis J. Specific SR protein-dependent splicing substrates identified through genomic SELEX. Nucleic Acids Res. 2003;31:1955-61 pubmed..These results indicate that B52 has unique functions in the removal of some introns during development, and plays a critical role in cellular regulatory networks. ..
- Shim K, Blake K, Jack J, Krasnow M. The Drosophila ribbon gene encodes a nuclear BTB domain protein that promotes epithelial migration and morphogenesis. Development. 2001;128:4923-33 pubmed..rib encodes a nuclear protein with a BTB/POZ domain and Pipsqueak DNA-binding motif...
- FrÃ©mion F, Astier M, Zaffran S, GuillÃ¨n A, Homburger V, SÃ©mÃ©riva M. The heterotrimeric protein Go is required for the formation of heart epithelium in Drosophila. J Cell Biol. 1999;145:1063-76 pubmed..We predict that bkh might be involved in vesicular traffic of membrane proteins that is responsible for the acquisition of polarity. ..
- Gates M, Kannan R, Giniger E. A genome-wide analysis reveals that the Drosophila transcription factor Lola promotes axon growth in part by suppressing expression of the actin nucleation factor Spire. Neural Dev. 2011;6:37 pubmed publisherThe phylogenetically conserved transcription factor Lola is essential for many aspects of axon growth and guidance, synapse formation and neural circuit development in Drosophila...
- Southall T, Davidson C, Miller C, Carr A, Brand A. Dedifferentiation of neurons precedes tumor formation in Lola mutants. Dev Cell. 2014;28:685-96 pubmed publisher..Here, we identify Lola as a transcription factor that is required to maintain neurons in a differentiated state...
- Robin C, Daborn P, Hoffmann A. Fighting fly genes. Trends Genet. 2007;23:51-4 pubmed..Here, we describe the study of aggressive behaviour in flies and explore the possibility that cytochrome P450 is involved in aggression. ..
- Tripathy R, Kunwar P, Sano H, Renault A. Transcriptional regulation of Drosophila gonad formation. Dev Biol. 2014;392:193-208 pubmed publisher..for mutants affecting gonad formation we identified a SGP cell autonomous role for Midline (Mid) and Longitudinals lacking (Lola)...
- Yamamoto D, Ito H, Fujitani K. Genetic dissection of sexual orientation: behavioral, cellular, and molecular approaches in Drosophila melanogaster. Neurosci Res. 1996;26:95-107 pubmed..the fru locus yields several different transcripts, one of which encodes a putative transcription regulator with a BTB domain and two zinc finger motifs...
- Colin J, Garibal J, Clavier A, Szuplewski S, Risler Y, Milet C, et al. Screening of suppressors of bax-induced cell death identifies glycerophosphate oxidase-1 as a mediator of debcl-induced apoptosis in Drosophila. Genes Cancer. 2015;6:241-253 pubmed..Among these suppressors, Glycerophosphate oxidase-1 is found to participate in debcl-induced apoptosis by increasing mitochondrial reactive oxygen species accumulation. ..
- McManus C, Duff M, Eipper Mains J, Graveley B. Global analysis of trans-splicing in Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:12975-9 pubmed publisher..trans-splicing between protein-coding exons and has been demonstrated for only two Drosophila genes: mod(mdg4) and lola. It has also been suggested that trans-splicing is a mechanism for the generation of chimeric RNA products ..
- Wissel S, Kieser A, Yasugi T, Duchek P, Roitinger E, Gokcezade J, et al. A Combination of CRISPR/Cas9 and Standardized RNAi as a Versatile Platform for the Characterization of Gene Function. G3 (Bethesda). 2016;6:2467-78 pubmed publisher..We exemplify this aspect of miGFPi by studying isoform-specific loss-of-function phenotypes of the longitudinals lacking (lola) gene in neural stem cells...
- Mishra A, Bargmann B, Tsachaki M, Fritsch C, Sprecher S. Functional genomics identifies regulators of the phototransduction machinery in the Drosophila larval eye and adult ocelli. Dev Biol. 2016;410:164-177 pubmed publisher..We also identified Camta, Lola, Dve and Hazy as key genes acting during ocellar PR differentiation...
- Jayanandanan N, Gavis E, Riechmann V, Leptin M. A genetic in vivo system to detect asymmetrically distributed RNA. EMBO Rep. 2011;12:1167-74 pubmed publisher..A pilot screen in a highly polarized, differentiated cell in the Drosophila larva, the branched terminal cell of the tracheal system, demonstrates the feasibility of the method for identifying new asymmetrically localized mRNAs in vivo. ..
- Tsubouchi A, Tsuyama T, Fujioka M, Kohda H, Okamoto Furuta K, Aigaki T, et al. Mitochondrial protein Preli-like is required for development of dendritic arbors and prevents their regression in the Drosophila sensory nervous system. Development. 2009;136:3757-66 pubmed publisher..Our observations suggest that Prel-dependent regulation of mitochondrial activity is important for both growth and prevention of breakage of dendritic branches. ..
- Hoshizaki D, Lunz R, Ghosh M, Johnson W. Identification of fat-cell enhancer activity in Drosophila melanogaster using P-element enhancer traps. Genome. 1995;38:497-506 pubmed..And finally, in a single line transgene activity is present in the progenitor cells of the embryonic fat body. The genes associated with these enhancer-trap lines may be involved in fat-cell development. ..
- Ito H, Fujitani K, Usui K, Shimizu Nishikawa K, Tanaka S, Yamamoto D. Sexual orientation in Drosophila is altered by the satori mutation in the sex-determination gene fruitless that encodes a zinc finger protein with a BTB domain. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1996;93:9687-92 pubmed..cDNA clones revealed a long open reading frame that potentially encodes a putative transcription regulator with a BTB domain and two zinc finger motifs...
- Bartoletti M, Rubin T, Chalvet F, Netter S, Dos Santos N, Poisot E, et al. Genetic basis for developmental homeostasis of germline stem cell niche number: a network of Tramtrack-Group nuclear BTB factors. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e49958 pubmed publisher..Here we show that pipsqueak, Trithorax-like, batman and the bric-Ã -brac (bab) locus, all encoding nuclear BTB/POZ factors of the Tramtrack Group, are involved in limiting the number of ovarioles in D. melanogaster...
- Davies E, Lim J, JOO W, Tam C, Fuller M. The transcriptional regulator lola is required for stem cell maintenance and germ cell differentiation in the Drosophila testis. Dev Biol. 2013;373:310-21 pubmed publisher..Here we show that function of the transcriptional regulator longitudinals lacking (lola) is required cell autonomously for germline stem cell and somatic cyst stem cell maintenance in the ..
- Scully A, Zelhof A, Kay S. A P element with a novel fusion of reporters identifies regular, a C2H2 zinc-finger gene downstream of the circadian clock. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2002;19:501-14 pubmed..By following myc expression of the Pluc+ reporter, we demonstrate that Rgr is expressed in a discrete number of neurons in the brain which overlap with axons expressing pigment-dispersing factor. ..
- Ferreira T, Ou Y, Li S, Giniger E, van Meyel D. Dendrite architecture organized by transcriptional control of the F-actin nucleator Spire. Development. 2014;141:650-60 pubmed publisher..a cell-intrinsic pathway sculpting dendritic arborization (da) neurons in Drosophila that requires Longitudinals Lacking (Lola), a BTB/POZ transcription factor, and its control of the F-actin cytoskeleton through Spire (Spir), ..
- Lespinet O, Wolf Y, Koonin E, Aravind L. The role of lineage-specific gene family expansion in the evolution of eukaryotes. Genome Res. 2002;12:1048-59 pubmed..LSEs seem to be one of the principal means of adaptation and one of the most important sources of organizational and regulatory diversity in crown-group eukaryotes. ..
- Weber U, Siegel V, Mlodzik M. pipsqueak encodes a novel nuclear protein required downstream of seven-up for the development of photoreceptors R3 and R4. EMBO J. 1995;14:6247-57 pubmed..Interestingly, all viable alleles with a maternal posterior group phenotype cluster around one specific 5' exon, while all semilethal alleles have lesions which map to a different alternative 5' exon. ..
- Chow C, Kelsey K, Wolfner M, Clark A. Candidate genetic modifiers of retinitis pigmentosa identified by exploiting natural variation in Drosophila. Hum Mol Genet. 2016;25:651-9 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrates the utility of studying a pathogenic mutation across a wide range of genetic backgrounds. These candidate modifiers provide new avenues of inquiry that may reveal new RP disease mechanisms and therapies. ..
- Axelson H. Eyeing tumorigenesis: Notch signaling and epigenetic silencing of Rb in Drosophila. Bioessays. 2006;28:692-5 pubmed..Rbf is the Drosophila homologue of the retinoblastoma tumor-suppressor gene (Rb), thus it represents a novel link between Notch signaling, tumor growth and metastasis. ..
- Braun A, Lemaitre B, Lanot R, Zachary D, Meister M. Drosophila immunity: analysis of larval hemocytes by P-element-mediated enhancer trap. Genetics. 1997;147:623-34 pubmed..We anticipate that this mutation, which we named domino, will prove a useful tool in the analysis of the role of hemocytes during the various aspects of immune response and melanotic tumor formation. ..
- Brown E, Layne J, Zhu C, Jegga A, Rollmann S. Genome-wide association mapping of natural variation in odour-guided behaviour in Drosophila. Genes Brain Behav. 2013;12:503-15 pubmed publisher..Our results showed that subtle changes influencing nervous system function can result in marked differences in behaviour. ..
- Hunter C, Huang W, Mackay T, Singh N. The Genetic Architecture of Natural Variation in Recombination Rate in Drosophila melanogaster. PLoS Genet. 2016;12:e1005951 pubmed publisher..Our results highlight the magnitude of population variation in recombination rate present in D. melanogaster and implicate new genetic factors mediating natural variation in this quantitative trait. ..
- Clyne P, Brotman J, Sweeney S, Davis G. Green fluorescent protein tagging Drosophila proteins at their native genomic loci with small P elements. Genetics. 2003;165:1433-41 pubmed..This technology allows the generation of GFP-tagged reagents on a genome-wide scale with diverse potential applications. ..