Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: lace
Alias: BG:DS01845.3, CG4162, Dmel\CG4162, Lace, SPT, SPT-II, anon-EST:Posey289, br36, dSpt2, l(2)35Dc, l(2)br36, l35Dc, lace, CG4162-PA, CG4162-PB, lace-PA, lace-PB, serine palmitoyl-transferase, serine palmitoyltransferase subunit II, sphingosine palmitoyl transferase
Species: fruit fly
- Dubin A, Heald N, Cleveland B, Carlson J, Harris G. Scutoid mutation of Drosophila melanogaster specifically decreases olfactory responses to short-chain acetate esters and ketones. J Neurobiol. 1995;28:214-33 pubmed..These findings suggest the involvement of Sco in an olfactory pathway in adults which is specific for short-chain acetate esters and ketones. ..
- Chen K, Lin G, Haelterman N, Ho T, Li T, Li Z, et al. Loss of Frataxin induces iron toxicity, sphingolipid synthesis, and Pdk1/Mef2 activation, leading to neurodegeneration. elife. 2016;5: pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that an iron/sphingolipid/Pdk1/Mef2 pathway may play a role in FRDA. ..
- Cai Y, Chia W, Yang X. A family of snail-related zinc finger proteins regulates two distinct and parallel mechanisms that mediate Drosophila neuroblast asymmetric divisions. EMBO J. 2001;20:1704-14 pubmed
- Ashburner M, Tsubota S, Woodruff R. The genetics of a small chromosome region of Drosophila melanogaster containing the structural gene for alcohol dehydrogenase. IV: scutoid, an antimorphic mutation. Genetics. 1982;102:401-20 pubmed..The Sco phenotype is thought to result from a position effect at the newly created noc/l(2)br28 junction. ..
- Oswald M, West R, Lloyd Evans E, Sweeney S. Identification of dietary alanine toxicity and trafficking dysfunction in a Drosophila model of hereditary sensory and autonomic neuropathy type 1. Hum Mol Genet. 2015;24:6899-909 pubmed publisher..The most common cause of HSAN1 is due to dominant mutations in serine palmitoyl-transferase subunit 1 (SPT1). SPT catalyses the condensation of serine with palmitoyl-CoA, the initial step in sphingolipid biogenesis...
- Peltan A, Briggs L, Matthews G, Sweeney S, Smith D. Identification of Drosophila gene products required for phagocytosis of Leishmania donovani. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e51831 pubmed publisher..of the small GTPase Rab5, the prenylated SNARE protein YKT6, one sub-unit of serine palmitoyltransferase (spt2/lace), the Rac1-associated protein Sra1 and the actin cytoskeleton regulatory protein, SCAR, all lead to a significant ..
- Bell O, Wirbelauer C, Hild M, Scharf A, Schwaiger M, MacAlpine D, et al. Localized H3K36 methylation states define histone H4K16 acetylation during transcriptional elongation in Drosophila. EMBO J. 2007;26:4974-84 pubmed..Thus di- and trimethylation of H3K36 have opposite effects on H4K16 acetylation, which we propose enable dynamic changes in chromatin compaction during transcript elongation. ..
- Pantoja M, Fischer K, Ieronimakis N, Reyes M, Ruohola Baker H. Genetic elevation of sphingosine 1-phosphate suppresses dystrophic muscle phenotypes in Drosophila. Development. 2013;140:136-46 pubmed publisher..via reduction of S1P lyase (Sply) and by upregulating the serine palmitoyl-CoA transferase catalytic subunit gene lace, the first gene in the de novo sphingolipid biosynthetic pathway and find that these manipulations also reduce ..
- Grau Y, Carteret C, Simpson P. Mutations and Chromosomal Rearrangements Affecting the Expression of Snail, a Gene Involved in Embryonic Patterning in DROSOPHILA MELANOGASTER. Genetics. 1984;108:347-60 pubmed..of two nearby regions on the second chromosome: the elbow to no-ocelli region and the interval defined by l(2)br36 and l(2)br37...
- Furukawa T, Maruyama S, Kawaichi M, Honjo T. The Drosophila homolog of the immunoglobulin recombination signal-binding protein regulates peripheral nervous system development. Cell. 1992;69:1191-7 pubmed..The results also imply that the immunoglobulin recombination signal sequence and the target sequence of the Drosophila J kappa RBP protein might have a common evolutionary origin. ..
- Ashburner M, Detwiler C, Tsubota S, Woodruff R. The genetics of a small autosomal region of Drosophila melanogaster containing the structural gene for alcohol dehydrogenase. VI. Induced revertants of scutoid. Genetics. 1983;104:405-31 pubmed..However, some revertants of Sco are rather more complex, and their properties suggest an interaction between the pu-noc and l(2)br28-l(2)br37 regions of chromosome arm 2L and also demonstrate the genetic complexity of the el-noc region. ..
- Bell O, Schwaiger M, Oakeley E, Lienert F, Beisel C, Stadler M, et al. Accessibility of the Drosophila genome discriminates PcG repression, H4K16 acetylation and replication timing. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2010;17:894-900 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings indicate that differential histone-modification patterns and the organization of replication have distinct and measurable effects on the exposure of the DNA template. ..
- Ashburner M. The genetics of a small autosomal region of Drosophila melanogaster containing the structural gene for alcohol dehydrogenase. III. Hypomorphic and hypermorphic mutations affecting the expression of hairless. Genetics. 1982;101:447-59 pubmed..A simple model is proposed to account for the interaction of l(2)br7 and H, assuming that amorphic (or hypomorphic) alleles of l(2)br7 suppress H and that hypermorphic alleles enhance H. ..
- Lee S, Montell C. Suppression of constant-light-induced blindness but not retinal degeneration by inhibition of the rhodopsin degradation pathway. Curr Biol. 2004;14:2076-85 pubmed..Our results support a model in which visual impairment caused by continuous illumination occurs through an arrestin-dependent pathway that promotes degradation of rhodopsin. ..
- Herr D, Fyrst H, Phan V, Heinecke K, Georges R, Harris G, et al. Sply regulation of sphingolipid signaling molecules is essential for Drosophila development. Development. 2003;130:2443-53 pubmed..This is the first demonstration of novel and complex developmental pathologies directly linked to a disruption of sphingolipid catabolism in metazoans. ..
- Gubb D, McGill S, Ashburner M. A selective screen to recover chromosomal deletions and duplications in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1988;119:377-90 pubmed..Such aberration breakpoints can be genetically mapped, as synthetic deletions, and then used as transposon-tagged sites for the recovery of genomic clones. ..
- Fyrst H, Zhang X, Herr D, Byun H, Bittman R, Phan V, et al. Identification and characterization by electrospray mass spectrometry of endogenous Drosophila sphingadienes. J Lipid Res. 2008;49:597-606 pubmed..The temporal and spatial accumulation of Delta(4,6)-sphingadienes in Sply mutants suggests that these lipids may contribute to the muscle degeneration observed in these flies. ..
- Phan V, Herr D, Panton D, Fyrst H, Saba J, Harris G. Disruption of sphingolipid metabolism elicits apoptosis-associated reproductive defects in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2007;309:329-41 pubmed..the reproductive defects seen in the Sply05091 mutants were ameliorated both by a second site mutation in the lace gene that restores long chain base levels towards normal and by genetic disruption of the proapoptotic genes reaper,..
- Adachi Yamada T, Nakamura M, Irie K, Tomoyasu Y, Sano Y, Mori E, et al. p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase can be involved in transforming growth factor beta superfamily signal transduction in Drosophila wing morphogenesis. Mol Cell Biol. 1999;19:2322-9 pubmed..These results demonstrate that p38, in addition to its role as a transducer of emergency stress signaling, may function to modulate Dpp signaling. ..
- Sasamura T, Matsuno K, Fortini M. Disruption of Drosophila melanogaster lipid metabolism genes causes tissue overgrowth associated with altered developmental signaling. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003917 pubmed publisher..Our analysis of the mutants demonstrates genetic links between abnormal lipid metabolism, perturbations in developmental signaling, and aberrant cell proliferation. ..
- Ghosh A, Kling T, Snaidero N, Sampaio J, Shevchenko A, Gras H, et al. A global in vivo Drosophila RNAi screen identifies a key role of ceramide phosphoethanolamine for glial ensheathment of axons. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003980 pubmed publisher..One critical pathway identified was de novo ceramide synthesis. Glial knockdown of lace, a subunit of the serine palmitoyltransferase associated with hereditary sensory and autonomic neuropathies in ..
- Wirbelauer C, Bell O, Schübeler D. Variant histone H3.3 is deposited at sites of nucleosomal displacement throughout transcribed genes while active histone modifications show a promoter-proximal bias. Genes Dev. 2005;19:1761-6 pubmed..3 followed by selective deposition of H3.3. These results support a model in which H3.3 deposition compensates for transcription-coupled nucleosomal displacement yet does not predetermine tail modifications. ..