Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: lab
Alias: BG:DS00004.9, CG1264, Dm lab, DmLab, Dmel\CG1264, Dmlab, EfR9, F121, F24, F90, F90-2, LAB, Lab, l(3)01241, l(3)84Ac, labial, CG1264-PA, CG1264-PB, lab-PA, lab-PB
Species: fruit fly
- Riese J, Tremml G, Bienz M. D-Fos, a target gene of Decapentaplegic signalling with a critical role during Drosophila endoderm induction. Development. 1997;124:3353-61 pubmed..This induction culminates in a precise pattern of spatially restricted expression of labial, a selector gene with a role in cell type specification in the larval midgut...
- Chan S, Ryoo H, Gould A, Krumlauf R, Mann R. Switching the in vivo specificity of a minimal Hox-responsive element. Development. 1997;124:2007-14 pubmed..basepair change in a Hox-PBC binding site switches the Hox-dependent expression pattern generated in vivo, from labial to Deformed. The change in vivo correlates with an altered Hox binding specificity in vitro...
- Noro B, Culi J, Mckay D, Zhang W, Mann R. Distinct functions of homeodomain-containing and homeodomain-less isoforms encoded by homothorax. Genes Dev. 2006;20:1636-50 pubmed publisher..We further demonstrate that the mouse ortholog of hth, Meis1, also encodes a HDless isoform, suggesting that homeodomain-less variants of this gene family are evolutionarily ancient...
- Staehling Hampton K, Hoffmann F. Ectopic decapentaplegic in the Drosophila midgut alters the expression of five homeotic genes, dpp, and wingless, causing specific morphological defects. Dev Biol. 1994;164:502-12 pubmed..induced expression of teashirt, wingless (wg) and the endogenous dpp gene in the visceral mesoderm and enhanced labial expression in the adjacent endoderm...
- Gellon G, McGinnis W. Shaping animal body plans in development and evolution by modulation of Hox expression patterns. Bioessays. 1998;20:116-25 pubmed
- Hirth F, Kammermeier L, Frei E, Walldorf U, Noll M, Reichert H. An urbilaterian origin of the tripartite brain: developmental genetic insights from Drosophila. Development. 2003;130:2365-73 pubmed..This suggests that a tripartite organization of the embryonic brain was already established in the last common urbilaterian ancestor of protostomes and deuterostomes. ..
- Slattery M, Riley T, Liu P, Abe N, Gomez Alcala P, Dror I, et al. Cofactor binding evokes latent differences in DNA binding specificity between Hox proteins. Cell. 2011;147:1270-82 pubmed publisher..Together, these data suggest that emergent DNA recognition properties revealed by interactions with cofactors contribute to transcription factor specificities in vivo. ..
- Akam M, Averof M, Castelli Gair J, Dawes R, Falciani F, Ferrier D. The evolving role of Hox genes in arthropods. Dev Suppl. 1994;:209-15 pubmed..They show conserved patterns of expression in the nervous system, but not during early development. ..
- Mlodzik M, Fjose A, Gehring W. Molecular structure and spatial expression of a homeobox gene from the labial region of the Antennapedia-complex. EMBO J. 1988;7:2569-78 pubmed..Deletion analysis indicates that the cloned gene, F24, most likely corresponds to the labial (lab) gene...
- Negre B, Casillas S, Suzanne M, Sánchez Herrero E, Akam M, Nefedov M, et al. Conservation of regulatory sequences and gene expression patterns in the disintegrating Drosophila Hox gene complex. Genome Res. 2005;15:692-700 pubmed..Firstly, we sequenced two regions of the D. buzzatii genome, one containing the genes labial and abdominal A, and another one including proboscipedia, and compared their organization with that of D...
- Szuts D, Bienz M. An autoregulatory function of Dfos during Drosophila endoderm induction. Mech Dev. 2000;98:71-6 pubmed..on a dominant-negative Dfos construct indicated that Dfos may cooperate with Dpp signalling to induce the HOX gene labial, the ultimate target gene of the inductive cascade...
- Sprecher S, Muller M, Kammermeier L, Miller D, Kaufman T, Reichert H, et al. Hox gene cross-regulatory interactions in the embryonic brain of Drosophila. Mech Dev. 2004;121:527-36 pubmedDuring embryonic development of the Drosophila brain, the Hox gene labial is required for the regionalized specification of the tritocerebral neuromere...
- Hirth F, Hartmann B, Reichert H. Homeotic gene action in embryonic brain development of Drosophila. Development. 1998;125:1579-89 pubmed..We then carry out a genetic analysis of the labial gene in embryonic brain development...
- Duboule D. The rise and fall of Hox gene clusters. Development. 2007;134:2549-60 pubmed..By integrating these parameters, general conclusions emerge that can help solve the aforementioned dilemma. ..
- Dubreuil R, Frankel J, Wang P, Howrylak J, Kappil M, Grushko T. Mutations of alpha spectrin and labial block cuprophilic cell differentiation and acid secretion in the middle midgut of Drosophila larvae. Dev Biol. 1998;194:1-11 pubmed..Acidification was also blocked by a mutation in the labial gene, which is required for differentiation of cuprophilic cells in the midgut, suggesting that these cells ..
- Reuter R, Panganiban G, Hoffmann F, Scott M. Homeotic genes regulate the spatial expression of putative growth factors in the visceral mesoderm of Drosophila embryos. Development. 1990;110:1031-40 pubmed..One consequence of dpp expression is the induction of labial (lab) in the underlying endoderm cells...
- Strand M, Micchelli C. Quiescent gastric stem cells maintain the adult Drosophila stomach. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:17696-701 pubmed publisher..Characterization of the GSSC lineage in Drosophila, with striking similarities to mammals, will advance the study of both homeostatic and pathogenic processes in the stomach. ..
- Mann R. The specificity of homeotic gene function. Bioessays. 1995;17:855-63 pubmed..Although exd provides part of the answer as to how specificity is achieved, there may be additional cofactors and mechanisms that have yet to be identified. ..
- Morata G. Homeotic genes of Drosophila. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 1993;3:606-14 pubmed..Comparison between Drosophila and other species suggests a common functional organization of homeotic complexes in the animal kingdom. ..
- Chouinard S, Kaufman T. Control of expression of the homeotic labial (lab) locus of Drosophila melanogaster: evidence for both positive and negative autogenous regulation. Development. 1991;113:1267-80 pubmedThe homeotic gene labial (lab) is required for proper development of the embryonic and adult head in Drosophila melanogaster. The lab gene product accumulates in a complex pattern in both embryonic and imaginal tissue...
- Hirth F, Loop T, Egger B, Miller D, Kaufman T, Reichert H. Functional equivalence of Hox gene products in the specification of the tritocerebrum during embryonic brain development of Drosophila. Development. 2001;128:4781-8 pubmed..During embryonic development of the Drosophila brain, the Hox gene labial is required for the regionalized specification of the tritocerebral neuromere; in the absence of labial, the cells ..
- Mann R, Chan S. Extra specificity from extradenticle: the partnership between HOX and PBX/EXD homeodomain proteins. Trends Genet. 1996;12:258-62 pubmed
- Percival Smith A, Teft W, Barta J. Tarsus determination in Drosophila melanogaster. Genome. 2005;48:712-21 pubmed..iii) Ectopic overexpression of ANTP, Labial (LAB), Deformed (DFD), SCR, Ultrabithorax (UBX), Abdominal-A (ABD-A), or Abdominal-B (ABD-B), using the dppGAL4 ..
- Duboule D, Morata G. Colinearity and functional hierarchy among genes of the homeotic complexes. Trends Genet. 1994;10:358-64 pubmed
- Hoppler S, Bienz M. Specification of a single cell type by a Drosophila homeotic gene. Cell. 1994;76:689-702 pubmed..We show here that expression of this gene, labial (lab), coincides with copper cells, highly specialized cells of the larval midgut...
- Affolter M, Marty T, Vigano M, Jazwinska A. Nuclear interpretation of Dpp signaling in Drosophila. EMBO J. 2001;20:3298-305 pubmed..It remains to be seen whether similar molecular mechanisms operate in the nucleus in vertebrate systems. ..
- Marty T, Vigano M, Ribeiro C, Nussbaumer U, Grieder N, Affolter M. A HOX complex, a repressor element and a 50 bp sequence confer regional specificity to a DPP-responsive enhancer. Development. 2001;128:2833-45 pubmed..a detailed characterization of an enhancer that is regulated by DPP signaling and by the homeotic protein Labial and its partners, Extradenticle and Homothorax...
- Heuer J, Kaufman T. Homeotic genes have specific functional roles in the establishment of the Drosophila embryonic peripheral nervous system. Development. 1992;115:35-47 pubmed..In addition, we also report the effects of ectopic expression of the homeotic genes labial (lab), Deformed (Dfd), Scr, Antp or Ubx on the normal development of sensory organs in the embryonic PNS...
- Popperl H, Bienz M, Studer M, Chan S, Aparicio S, Brenner S, et al. Segmental expression of Hoxb-1 is controlled by a highly conserved autoregulatory loop dependent upon exd/pbx. Cell. 1995;81:1031-42 pubmed..embryos demonstrated that the conserved elements are involved in a positive autoregulatory loop dependent on labial (lab) family members...
- Hunter C, Kenyon C. Specification of anteroposterior cell fates in Caenorhabditis elegans by Drosophila Hox proteins. Nature. 1995;377:229-32 pubmed..Together these findings suggest that factors important for target recognition by specific Hox proteins have been conserved throughout much of the animal kingdom. ..
- Merrill V, Diederich R, Turner F, Kaufman T. A genetic and developmental analysis of mutations in labial, a gene necessary for proper head formation in Drosophila melanogaster. Dev Biol. 1989;135:376-91 pubmedWe have undertaken a developmental genetic analysis of labial (lab), the most proximal gene in the Antennapedia complex (ANT-C) of Drosophila melanogaster...
- Bienz M. Endoderm induction in Drosophila: the nuclear targets of the inducing signals. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 1997;7:683-8 pubmed
- Uhl J, Cook T, Gebelein B. Comparing anterior and posterior Hox complex formation reveals guidelines for predicting cis-regulatory elements. Dev Biol. 2010;343:154-66 pubmed publisher..Based upon these findings, we suggest a general set of guidelines to serve as a basis for designing bioinformatics algorithms aimed at identifying Hox regulatory elements using the wealth of recently sequenced genomes. ..
- Negre B, Ranz J, Casals F, Cáceres M, Ruiz A. A new split of the Hox gene complex in Drosophila: relocation and evolution of the gene labial. Mol Biol Evol. 2003;20:2042-54 pubmed..discovered in the species of the Drosophila repleta group, which relocated the most anterior gene of the complex, lab, to a distant chromosomal site near the two most posterior Hox genes, abd-A and Abd-B...
- Nellen D, Affolter M, Basler K. Receptor serine/threonine kinases implicated in the control of Drosophila body pattern by decapentaplegic. Cell. 1994;78:225-37 pubmed..We propose that specification of distinct cell fates in response to different concentrations of dpp may be achieved combinatorially by the sax and tkv receptors. ..
- Nakagoshi H, Hoshi M, Nabeshima Y, Matsuzaki F. A novel homeobox gene mediates the Dpp signal to establish functional specificity within target cells. Genes Dev. 1998;12:2724-34 pubmed..of Dpp in the middle midgut and defines the functional specificity of copper cells along with another Dpp target gene, labial. Thus, the dve gene acts under the two distinct extracellular signals at distant parts of the midgut primordia.
- Stauber M, Jackle H, Schmidt Ott U. The anterior determinant bicoid of Drosophila is a derived Hox class 3 gene. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:3786-9 pubmed
- McGinnis W, Krumlauf R. Homeobox genes and axial patterning. Cell. 1992;68:283-302 pubmed
- Beh C, El Sharnouby S, Chatzipli A, Russell S, Choo S, White R. Roles of cofactors and chromatin accessibility in Hox protein target specificity. Epigenetics Chromatin. 2016;9:1 pubmed publisher..Our experiments demonstrate a strong role for chromatin accessibility in Hox protein binding and suggest that Hox protein competition with nucleosomes has a major role in Hox protein target specificity in vivo. ..
- De Velasco B, Mandal L, Mkrtchyan M, Hartenstein V. Subdivision and developmental fate of the head mesoderm in Drosophila melanogaster. Dev Genes Evol. 2006;216:39-51 pubmed..The lSHM contributes hemocytes, as well as the nephrocytes forming the subesophageal body, also called garland cells. ..
- Mohler J, Mahaffey J, Deutsch E, Vani K. Control of Drosophila head segment identity by the bZIP homeotic gene cnc. Development. 1995;121:237-47 pubmed..This role of homeotic selector genes for the segment-specific maintenance of segment polarity gene expression is a unique feature of segmentation in the preoral head region of Drosophila. ..
- Kammermeier L, Leemans R, Hirth F, Flister S, Wenger U, Walldorf U, et al. Differential expression and function of the Drosophila Pax6 genes eyeless and twin of eyeless in embryonic central nervous system development. Mech Dev. 2001;103:71-8 pubmed..In contrast, targeted misexpression of ey, but not of toy, resulted in profound axonal abnormalities in the embryonic ventral nerve cord and brain. ..
- Saget O, Forquignon F, Santamaria P, Randsholt N. Needs and targets for the multi sex combs gene product in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1998;149:1823-38 pubmed..We discuss these data in view of the numerous functions of PcG genes during development. ..
- Chopra V, Cande J, Hong J, Levine M. Stalled Hox promoters as chromosomal boundaries. Genes Dev. 2009;23:1505-9 pubmed publisher..Thus, promoter-proximal stalling factors might help promote insulator-promoter interactions. We propose that stalled promoters help organize gene complexes within chromosomal loop domains. ..
- Crozatier M, Valle D, Dubois L, Ibnsouda S, Vincent A. Head versus trunk patterning in the Drosophila embryo; collier requirement for formation of the intercalary segment. Development. 1999;126:4385-94 pubmed
- Arquier N, Perrin L, Manfruelli P, Semeriva M. The Drosophila tumor suppressor gene lethal(2)giant larvae is required for the emission of the Decapentaplegic signal. Development. 2001;128:2209-20 pubmed..The embryonic expression of known targets of the dpp signaling pathway, such as labial or tinman was abolished or strongly reduced in lgl mutants...
- Thor S. The genetics of brain development: conserved programs in flies and mice. Neuron. 1995;15:975-7 pubmed
- Kosman D, Mizutani C, Lemons D, Cox W, McGinnis W, Bier E. Multiplex detection of RNA expression in Drosophila embryos. Science. 2004;305:846 pubmed
- Arora K, Dai H, Kazuko S, Jamal J, O Connor M, Letsou A, et al. The Drosophila schnurri gene acts in the Dpp/TGF beta signaling pathway and encodes a transcription factor homologous to the human MBP family. Cell. 1995;81:781-90 pubmed..Genetic interactions and the strikingly similar phenotypes of mutations in shn and the dpp receptors encoded by thick veins and punt suggest that shn plays a downstream role in dpp signaling. ..
- Meier S, Sprecher S, Reichert H, Hirth F. ventral veins lacking is required for specification of the tritocerebrum in embryonic brain development of Drosophila. Mech Dev. 2006;123:76-83 pubmed..During embryonic brain development of Drosophila, the Hox gene labial (lab) is essential for tritocerebral neuromere specification; lab loss of function results in tritocerebral cells ..
- Li X, Veraksa A, McGinnis W. A sequence motif distinct from Hox binding sites controls the specificity of a Hox response element. Development. 1999;126:5581-9 pubmed..containing no Hox or Hox-PBC binding sites, was combined with single or multimeric sites that bind heterodimers of Labial-type Hox and PBC proteins...
- Li H, Qi Y, Jasper H. Preventing Age-Related Decline of Gut Compartmentalization Limits Microbiota Dysbiosis and Extends Lifespan. Cell Host Microbe. 2016;19:240-53 pubmed publisher..Our results establish a mechanism by which age-related chronic inflammation causes the decline of intestinal compartmentalization and microbiota dysbiosis, limiting lifespan. ..
- Urbach R. A procephalic territory in Drosophila exhibiting similarities and dissimilarities compared to the vertebrate midbrain/hindbrain boundary region. Neural Dev. 2007;2:23 pubmed..I show that the early embryonic brain exhibits an anterior Otx/otd domain and a posterior Hox1/lab domain, but that Pax2/5/8 orthologs are not expressed in the neuroectoderm and neuroblasts of the intervening ..
- Sprecher S, Reichert H, Hartenstein V. Gene expression patterns in primary neuronal clusters of the Drosophila embryonic brain. Gene Expr Patterns. 2007;7:584-95 pubmed
- Chen C, Strapps W, Tomlinson A, Struhl G. Evidence that the cysteine-rich domain of Drosophila Frizzled family receptors is dispensable for transducing Wingless. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:15961-6 pubmed..Thus, we infer that signal transduction does not require binding of Wg to the CRD, but instead depends on interactions between Wg and other portions of the receptor, or other proteins of the receptor complex. ..
- Wall N, Hogan B. TGF-beta related genes in development. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 1994;4:517-22 pubmed
- Gao Q, Wang Y, Finkelstein R. Orthodenticle regulation during embryonic head development in Drosophila. Mech Dev. 1996;56:3-15 pubmed..Finally, we identify a novel pathway mediated by the gap gene huckebein through which three maternal systems cooperate to repress otd expression at the anterior terminus of the embryo. ..
- Chen C, Struhl G. Wingless transduction by the Frizzled and Frizzled2 proteins of Drosophila. Development. 1999;126:5441-52 pubmed..These results extend prior evidence of a ligand-receptor relationship between Wnt and Frizzled proteins and suggest that Fz and Fz2 are the primary receptors for Wg in Drosophila. ..
- Lewis R, Wakimoto B, Denell R, Kaufman T. Genetic Analysis of the Antennapedia Gene Complex (Ant-C) and Adjacent Chromosomal Regions of DROSOPHILA MELANOGASTER. II. Polytene Chromosome Segments 84A-84B1,2. Genetics. 1980;95:383-97 pubmed..Three have been demonstrated to be homoeotic in nature. The specific homoeotic transformations thus far observed suggest that these loci are critical for normal development of adult labial, maxillary and thoracic structures.
- Affolter M. Cell-cell interaction during Drosophila embryogenesis: novel mechanisms and molecules. Ernst Schering Res Found Workshop. 2000;:65-79 pubmed
- Jasper H. Exploring the physiology and pathology of aging in the intestine of Drosophila melanogaster. Invertebr Reprod Dev. 2015;59:51-58 pubmed..Here, I review recent studies exploring age-related changes in the fly intestine, and their insight into the regulation of health and lifespan of the animal. ..
- Bhanot P, Fish M, Jemison J, Nusse R, Nathans J, Cadigan K. Frizzled and Dfrizzled-2 function as redundant receptors for Wingless during Drosophila embryonic development. Development. 1999;126:4175-86 pubmed..The redundancy of Frizzled and Dfrizzled2 explains why Wingless receptors were not identified in earlier genetic screens for mutants defective in embryonic patterning. ..
- Freeman M. Complexity of EGF receptor signalling revealed in Drosophila. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 1998;8:407-11 pubmed..The integration of signalling pathways into networks is beginning to be understood. ..
- Zhang J, Nei M. Evolution of Antennapedia-class homeobox genes. Genetics. 1996;142:295-303 pubmed
- Dubreuil R, Grushko T, Baumann O. Differential effects of a labial mutation on the development, structure, and function of stomach acid-secreting cells in Drosophila melanogaster larvae and adults. Cell Tissue Res. 2001;306:167-78 pubmed..Second, we demonstrated that adult copper cells were present in labk3/labvd1 (conditional/null) adults. The labial protein was expressed in adult labk3/labvd1 copper cells, but not in larvae...
- Eresh S, Riese J, Jackson D, Bohmann D, Bienz M. A CREB-binding site as a target for decapentaplegic signalling during Drosophila endoderm induction. EMBO J. 1997;16:2014-22 pubmed..During this process, Dpp stimulates transcription of the homeotic genes Ultrabithorax in the visceral mesoderm and labial in the subjacent endoderm...