Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Krn
Alias: CG32179, CG8056, CT19073, Dmel\CG32179, Ker, gritz, keren, keren/spitz2, krn, s-krn, skrn, keren, CG32179-PA, Krn-PA, spitz-2, spitz2
Species: fruit fly
- Reich A, Shilo B. Keren, a new ligand of the Drosophila epidermal growth factor receptor, undergoes two modes of cleavage. EMBO J. 2002;21:4287-96 pubmed..by any of its known activating ligands, we identified an additional ligand by database searches, and termed it Keren (Krn)...
- Adrain C, Freeman M. Regulation of receptor tyrosine kinase ligand processing. Cold Spring Harb Perspect Biol. 2014;6: pubmed publisher..The activation of signaling by proteases is therefore an essential element of the cellular communication machinery. ..
- Kux K, Pitsouli C. Tissue communication in regenerative inflammatory signaling: lessons from the fly gut. Front Cell Infect Microbiol. 2014;4:49 pubmed publisher..Here we review tissue communication during homeostasis and regenerative inflammatory signaling in Drosophila focusing on the signals that emanate from non-intestinal epithelial tissues to ensure intestinal integrity. ..
- Morante J, Vallejo D, Desplan C, Dominguez M. Conserved miR-8/miR-200 defines a glial niche that controls neuroepithelial expansion and neuroblast transition. Dev Cell. 2013;27:174-187 pubmed publisher..Together, these results establish glial-derived cues as key regulatory elements in the control of neuroepithelial cell proliferation and the neuroblast transition...
- Rahn T, Leippe M, Roeder T, Fedders H. EGFR signaling in the brain is necessary for olfactory learning in Drosophila larvae. Learn Mem. 2013;20:194-200 pubmed publisher..Here, promoter-reporter lines of EGFR and its most prominent activating ligands, Spitz, Keren, and Vein, were used to identify the brain structures relevant for the EGFR pathway...
- Baonza A, Casci T, Freeman M. A primary role for the epidermal growth factor receptor in ommatidial spacing in the Drosophila eye. Curr Biol. 2001;11:396-404 pubmed..This model describes how successive rows of ommatidia form out of phase with each other, leading to the hexagonal array of facets in the compound eye. ..
- Guo Y, Li Z, Lin X. Hs3st-A and Hs3st-B regulate intestinal homeostasis in Drosophila adult midgut. Cell Signal. 2014;26:2317-25 pubmed publisher..Together, our data suggest that Drosophila Hs3st-A and Hs3st-B are involved in the regulation of ISC proliferation and midgut homeostasis maintenance. ..
- Wang Q, Uhlirova M, Bohmann D. Spatial restriction of FGF signaling by a matrix metalloprotease controls branching morphogenesis. Dev Cell. 2010;18:157-64 pubmed publisher..The signaling function for MMPs described here may not be limited to branching morphogenesis processes. ..
- Urban S, Schlieper D, Freeman M. Conservation of intramembrane proteolytic activity and substrate specificity in prokaryotic and eukaryotic rhomboids. Curr Biol. 2002;12:1507-12 pubmed..Moreover, a function for Rhomboids in activating intercellular signaling appears to have evolved early. ..
- Li Q, Li S, Mana Capelli S, Roth Flach R, Danai L, Amcheslavsky A, et al. The conserved misshapen-warts-Yorkie pathway acts in enteroblasts to regulate intestinal stem cells in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2014;31:291-304 pubmed publisher..These findings also provide a model in which to study requirements for MAP4K4-related kinases in MST1/2-independent regulation of LATS and YAP. ..
- Liu M, Lim T, Cai Y. The Drosophila female germline stem cell lineage acts to spatially restrict DPP function within the niche. Sci Signal. 2010;3:ra57 pubmed publisher..Thus, our data reveal that the reciprocal crosstalk between the GSCs and the somatic cells defines the spatial limits of DPP action and therefore the extent of the GSC niche. ..
- Schlesinger A, Kiger A, Perrimon N, Shilo B. Small wing PLCgamma is required for ER retention of cleaved Spitz during eye development in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2004;7:535-45 pubmed..Retention of cSpi in the ER provides a novel mechanism for restricting active ligand levels and hence the range of EGFR activation in the developing eye. ..
- Bogdan S, Klämbt C. Epidermal growth factor receptor signaling. Curr Biol. 2001;11:R292-5 pubmed
- Austin C, Manivannan S, Simcox A. TGF-Î± ligands can substitute for the neuregulin Vein in Drosophila development. Development. 2014;141:4110-4 pubmed publisher..These findings align with a model whereby cells respond similarly to an equivalent quantitative level of an intracellular signal generated by two distinct ligands regardless of ligand identity. ..