Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Klp61F
Description: Kinesin-like protein at 61F
Alias: 6345, CG9191, CG9191-PA, DmKLP61F, DmKRP130, DmKlp61F, Dmel\CG9191, KIF 8, KIF11, KLP2, KLP61, KLP61F, KLP61f, KRP130, KRP[[(130)]], KRP[], Kin-5, Klp 61F, Klp2, Klp61F/KRP130, Klp61f, Krp130, klp61F, klp61f, l(3)07012, l(3)6D283, l(3)Klp61F, urc, urcn, Kinesin-like protein at 61F, CG9191-PA, Kinesin-related protein-130kD, Kinesin8B, Klp61F-PA, kinesin-5, kinesin-5 motor, kinesin-5s, kinesin-like protein, urchin
Species: fruit fly
- Sharp D, Brown H, Kwon M, Rogers G, Holland G, Scholey J. Functional coordination of three mitotic motors in Drosophila embryos. Mol Biol Cell. 2000;11:241-53 pubmed..are directed by a temporally coordinated balance of forces generated by three mitotic motors, cytoplasmic dynein, KLP61F, and Ncd...
- Sharp D, Yu K, Sisson J, Sullivan W, Scholey J. Antagonistic microtubule-sliding motors position mitotic centrosomes in Drosophila early embryos. Nat Cell Biol. 1999;1:51-4 pubmed..and between daughter nuclei is determined by a balance of opposing forces generated by a bipolar kinesin motor, KLP61F, that is directed to microtubule plus ends, and a carboxy-terminal kinesin motor, Ncd, that is directed towards ..
- Meyer D, Rines D, Kashina A, Cole D, Scholey J. Purification of novel kinesins from embryonic systems. Methods Enzymol. 1998;298:133-54 pubmedSeveral kinesin holoenzymes, including the heterotrimeric kinesin-II and bipolar KLP61F complexes described here, are being purified in our laboratory using microtubule affinity precipitation and conventional biochemical fractionation ..
- Sharp D, McDonald K, Brown H, Matthies H, Walczak C, Vale R, et al. The bipolar kinesin, KLP61F, cross-links microtubules within interpolar microtubule bundles of Drosophila embryonic mitotic spindles. J Cell Biol. 1999;144:125-38 pubmedPrevious genetic and biochemical studies have led to the hypothesis that the essential mitotic bipolar kinesin, KLP61F, cross-links and slides microtubules (MTs) during spindle assembly and function...
- Cheerambathur D, Brust Mascher I, Civelekoglu Scholey G, Scholey J. Dynamic partitioning of mitotic kinesin-5 cross-linkers between microtubule-bound and freely diffusing states. J Cell Biol. 2008;182:429-36 pubmed publisher..We created transgenic Drosophila melanogaster expressing fluorescent kinesin-5, KLP61F-GFP, in a klp61f mutant background, where it rescues mitosis and viability...
- Brust Mascher I, Sommi P, Cheerambathur D, Scholey J. Kinesin-5-dependent poleward flux and spindle length control in Drosophila embryo mitosis. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:1749-62 pubmed publisher..antibody microinjection and genetic manipulations to dissect the various roles of the homotetrameric kinesin-5, KLP61F, in astral, centrosome-controlled Drosophila embryo spindles and to test the hypothesis that it slides apart ..
- Adams R, Tavares A, Salzberg A, Bellen H, Glover D. pavarotti encodes a kinesin-like protein required to organize the central spindle and contractile ring for cytokinesis. Genes Dev. 1998;12:1483-94 pubmed..We suggest that PAV-KLP is required both to establish the structure of the telophase spindle to provide a framework for the assembly of the contractile ring, and to mobilize mitotic regulator proteins. ..
- Liu L, Parameswaran S, Liu J, Kim S, Wojcik E. Loop 5-directed compounds inhibit chimeric kinesin-5 motors: implications for conserved allosteric mechanisms. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:6201-10 pubmed publisher..bind to a surface pocket created by the L5 loop, but neither compound inhibits the Drosophila Kinesin-5 homologue (Klp61F). Herein we ask whether or not drug sensitivity can be designed into Klp61F...
- Cole D, Saxton W, Sheehan K, Scholey J. A "slow" homotetrameric kinesin-related motor protein purified from Drosophila embryos. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:22913-6 pubmed..microtubules (MTs) polymerized from cytosol treated with AMP-PNP (adenyl-5'-yl imidodiphosphate), and one of them, KRP130, was further purified from ATP eluates of the embryonic MTs...
- van den Wildenberg S, Tao L, Kapitein L, Schmidt C, Scholey J, Peterman E. The homotetrameric kinesin-5 KLP61F preferentially crosslinks microtubules into antiparallel orientations. Curr Biol. 2008;18:1860-4 pubmed publisher..Here, we explored whether the Drosophila embryo kinesin-5 KLP61F, which plausibly crosslinks both parallel and antiparallel MTs, displays a preference for parallel or antiparallel ..
- Scholey J. Kinesin-5 in Drosophila embryo mitosis: sliding filament or spindle matrix mechanism?. Cell Motil Cytoskeleton. 2009;66:500-8 pubmed publisher..The homotetrameric kinesin-5, KLP61F contributes to various aspects of mitosis in this system, all of which are consistent with it exerting outward ..
- Tao L, Mogilner A, Civelekoglu Scholey G, Wollman R, Evans J, Stahlberg H, et al. A homotetrameric kinesin-5, KLP61F, bundles microtubules and antagonizes Ncd in motility assays. Curr Biol. 2006;16:2293-302 pubmedMitosis depends upon the cooperative action of multiple microtubule (MT)-based motors. Among these, a kinesin-5, KLP61F, and the kinesin-14, Ncd, are proposed to generate antagonistic-sliding forces that control the spacing of the spindle ..
- Scholey J, Rogers G, Sharp D. Mitosis, microtubules, and the matrix. J Cell Biol. 2001;154:261-6 pubmed..The mechanical events of mitosis depend on the action of microtubules and mitotic motors, but whether these spindle components act alone or in concert with a spindle matrix is an important question. ..
- Heck M, Pereira A, Pesavento P, Yannoni Y, Spradling A, Goldstein L. The kinesin-like protein KLP61F is essential for mitosis in Drosophila. J Cell Biol. 1993;123:665-79 pubmedWe report here that disruption of a recently discovered kinesin-like protein in Drosophila melanogaster, KLP61F, results in a mitotic mutation lethal to the organism...
- Matthies H, Baskin R, Hawley R. Orphan kinesin NOD lacks motile properties but does possess a microtubule-stimulated ATPase activity. Mol Biol Cell. 2001;12:4000-12 pubmed..We suggest that the microtubule-activated ATPase activity of NOD provides transient attachments of chromosomes to microtubules rather than producing vectorial transport. ..
- Kashina A, Scholey J, Leszyk J, Saxton W. An essential bipolar mitotic motor. Nature. 1996;384:225 pubmed
- Dembeck L, Huang W, Magwire M, Lawrence F, Lyman R, Mackay T. Genetic Architecture of Abdominal Pigmentation in Drosophila melanogaster. PLoS Genet. 2015;11:e1005163 pubmed publisher..Variation in these novel candidates may serve as targets for adaptive evolution and sexual selection in D. melanogaster. ..
- do Carmo Avides M, Glover D. Abnormal spindle protein, Asp, and the integrity of mitotic centrosomal microtubule organizing centers. Science. 1999;283:1733-5 pubmed..This was corrected by addition of purified Asp protein. Thus, Asp appears to hold together the microtubule-nucleating gamma-tubulin ring complexes that organize the mitotic centrosome. ..
- Radford S, Go A, McKim K. Cooperation Between Kinesin Motors Promotes Spindle Symmetry and Chromosome Organization in Oocytes. Genetics. 2017;205:517-527 pubmed publisher..studies on the meiotic function of one of the most important microtubule-bundlers in mitotic cells, the kinesin-5 KLP61F. We have found that the kinesin-5 KLP61F is required for spindle and centromere symmetry in oocytes...
- Garcia K, Stumpff J, Duncan T, Su T. Tyrosines in the kinesin-5 head domain are necessary for phosphorylation by Wee1 and for mitotic spindle integrity. Curr Biol. 2009;19:1670-6 pubmed publisher..We report here that Drosophila kinesin-5 (KLP61F) is regulated by Drosophila Wee1 (dWee1)...
- Wilson P. Centrosome inheritance in the male germ line of Drosophila requires hu-li tai-shao function. Cell Biol Int. 2005;29:360-9 pubmed..Collectively, these results indicate that hts function is necessary for centrosome inheritance in spermatocytes as well as for male fertility. ..
- Wilson P, Fuller M, Borisy G. Monastral bipolar spindles: implications for dynamic centrosome organization. J Cell Sci. 1997;110 ( Pt 4):451-64 pubmed..Yet, immunofluorescence revealed that spindles in larval brains of urchin mutants in Drosophila were frequently monastral but bipolar; the astral pole contained a centrosome while the ..
- Gandhi R, Bonaccorsi S, Wentworth D, Doxsey S, Gatti M, Pereira A. The Drosophila kinesin-like protein KLP67A is essential for mitotic and male meiotic spindle assembly. Mol Biol Cell. 2004;15:121-31 pubmed
- Kim A, Endow S. A kinesin family tree. J Cell Sci. 2000;113 Pt 21:3681-2 pubmed
- BougÃ© A, Parmentier M. Tau excess impairs mitosis and kinesin-5 function, leading to aneuploidy and cell death. Dis Model Mech. 2016;9:307-19 pubmed publisher..We also demonstrate that the effects of hTau occur via the inhibition of the function of the kinesin Klp61F, the Drosophila homologue of kinesin-5 (also called Eg5 or KIF11)...
- Drpic D, Pereira A, Barisic M, Maresca T, Maiato H. Polar Ejection Forces Promote the Conversion from Lateral to End-on Kinetochore-Microtubule Attachments on Mono-oriented Chromosomes. Cell Rep. 2015;13:460-468 pubmed publisher..Thus, PEFs convert lateral to stable end-on kinetochore-microtubule attachments, independently of chromosome bi-orientation. ..
- Glover D, Hagan I, Tavares A. Polo-like kinases: a team that plays throughout mitosis. Genes Dev. 1998;12:3777-87 pubmed
- Giet R, Prigent C. Aurora/Ipl1p-related kinases, a new oncogenic family of mitotic serine-threonine kinases. J Cell Sci. 1999;112 ( Pt 21):3591-601 pubmed..Because of the myriad of kinases identified, we suggest a generic name: Aurora/Ipl1p-related kinase (AIRK). We denote AIRKs with a species prefix and a number, e.g. HsAIRK1. ..
- Wilson P, Simmons R, Saighal S, Shigali S. Novel nuclear defects in KLP61F-deficient mutants in Drosophila are partially suppressed by loss of Ncd function. J Cell Sci. 2004;117:4921-33 pubmedb>KLP61F in Drosophila and other BimC kinesins are essential for spindle bipolarity across species; loss of BimC function generates high frequencies of monopolar spindles...
- Syred H, Welburn J, Rappsilber J, Ohkura H. Cell cycle regulation of microtubule interactomes: multi-layered regulation is critical for the interphase/mitosis transition. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2013;12:3135-47 pubmed publisher..Thus, this first comprehensive analysis of MAP regulation for the interphase/mitosis transition advances our understanding of kinesin biology and reveals the prevalence and importance of multi-layered MAP regulation. ..
- Mottier Pavie V, Cenci G, Vernì F, Gatti M, Bonaccorsi S. Phenotypic analysis of misato function reveals roles of noncentrosomal microtubules in Drosophila spindle formation. J Cell Sci. 2011;124:706-17 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results indicate that kinetochore-driven MT formation is an essential process for proper spindle assembly in Drosophila somatic cells. ..
- Taniguchi K, Kokuryo A, Imano T, Minami R, Nakagoshi H, Adachi Yamada T. Isoform-specific functions of Mud/NuMA mediate binucleation of Drosophila male accessory gland cells. BMC Dev Biol. 2014;14:46 pubmed publisher..We also propose that Mud(S) is a key regulator triggering cytokinesis skipping in binucleation processes. ..
- Goodson H, Kang S, Endow S. Molecular phylogeny of the kinesin family of microtubule motor proteins. J Cell Sci. 1994;107 ( Pt 7):1875-84 pubmed..The analysis indicates that many types of kinesin proteins exist in eukaryotic organisms. At least two of the five groups identified in this analysis are expected to be present in most, or all, eukaryotes. ..
- Endow S. Microtubule motors in spindle and chromosome motility. Eur J Biochem. 1999;262:12-8 pubmed..The identification of microtubule motors that function in chromosome distribution represents a major advance in understanding the forces that underlie chromosome and spindle movements during cell division. ..
- Vuong L, Mukhopadhyay B, Choi K. Kinesin-II recruits Armadillo and Dishevelled for Wingless signaling in Drosophila. Development. 2014;141:3222-32 pubmed publisher..Human KIF3A can also bind ?-catenin and rescue klp64D RNAi phenotypes. Taken together, we propose that Klp64D is essential for Wg signaling by trafficking of Arm via the formation of a conserved complex with Arm. ..
- Dagenbach E, Endow S. A new kinesin tree. J Cell Sci. 2004;117:3-7 pubmed
- Casper A, Van Doren M. The establishment of sexual identity in the Drosophila germline. Development. 2009;136:3821-30 pubmed publisher..This is consistent with our findings that signals from the soma are dominant over germline autonomous cues at the initial stage of germline sex determination. ..
- Lakämper S, Thiede C, Düselder A, Reiter S, Korneev M, Kapitein L, et al. The effect of monastrol on the processive motility of a dimeric kinesin-5 head/kinesin-1 stalk chimera. J Mol Biol. 2010;399:1-8 pubmed publisher..Quantitative analysis of monastrol dose dependence suggests that two bound monastrol molecules are required to be bound to an Eg5Kin dimer to terminate a run. ..
- Stewart R, Pesavento P, Woerpel D, Goldstein L. Identification and partial characterization of six members of the kinesin superfamily in Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1991;88:8470-4 pubmed..The data suggest that each of these six kinesin-like proteins may have functions in a wide variety of cell types and tissues. ..
- Lawrence C, Malmberg R, Muszynski M, Dawe R. Maximum likelihood methods reveal conservation of function among closely related kinesin families. J Mol Evol. 2002;54:42-53 pubmed..In addition, we found that one monophyletic clade composed exclusively of sequences with a C-terminal motor domain contains all known minus end-directed kinesins. ..
- Slack C, Somers W, Sousa Nunes R, Chia W, Overton P. A mosaic genetic screen for novel mutations affecting Drosophila neuroblast divisions. BMC Genet. 2006;7:33 pubmed..Taken together, these results demonstrate the value of mosaic screens in the identification of genes involved in neuroblast division. ..
- Kim H, Ling S, Rogers G, Kural C, Selvin P, Rogers S, et al. Microtubule binding by dynactin is required for microtubule organization but not cargo transport. J Cell Biol. 2007;176:641-51 pubmed..Thus, dynactin binding to microtubules is required for organizing spindle microtubule arrays but not cargo motility in vivo. ..
- Vale R, Spudich J, Griffis E. Dynamics of myosin, microtubules, and Kinesin-6 at the cortex during cytokinesis in Drosophila S2 cells. J Cell Biol. 2009;186:727-38 pubmed publisher..These results suggest models for how Kinesin-6 might define the position of cortical myosin during cytokinesis. ..
- Gonzalez C, Tavosanis G, Mollinari C. Centrosomes and microtubule organisation during Drosophila development. J Cell Sci. 1998;111 ( Pt 18):2697-706 pubmed..In this review we present some of the many examples which illustrate how centrosomes and microtubule organisation changes through development in Drosophila and discuss some of its implications. ..
- Odde D. Mitotic spindle: disturbing a subtle balance. Curr Biol. 2005;15:R956-9 pubmed
- Furman D, Omel ianchuk L. [Phases of the effect of the homeotic Walker mutation in the development of Drosophila melanogaster]. Genetika. 2000;36:348-56 pubmed..The allele-specific interaction between Wk and allele v27 of the Klp61F gene was also revealed...
- Pendse J, Ramachandran P, Na J, Narisu N, Fink J, Cagan R, et al. A Drosophila functional evaluation of candidates from human genome-wide association studies of type?2?diabetes and related metabolic traits identifies tissue-specific roles for dHHEX. BMC Genomics. 2013;14:136 pubmed publisher..To our knowledge, this is the first large-scale effort to study the functional interaction between GWAS-identified candidate genes and an environmental risk factor such as diet in a model organism system. ..
- Wakana Y, Villeneuve J, van Galen J, Cruz Garcia D, Tagaya M, Malhotra V. Kinesin-5/Eg5 is important for transport of CARTS from the trans-Golgi network to the cell surface. J Cell Biol. 2013;202:241-50 pubmed publisherHere we report that the kinesin-5 motor Klp61F, which is known for its role in bipolar spindle formation in mitosis, is required for protein transport from the Golgi complex to the cell surface in Drosophila S2 cells...
- Salemi J, McGilvray P, Maresca T. Development of a Drosophila cell-based error correction assay. Front Oncol. 2013;3:187 pubmed publisher..However, Drosophila kinesin-5 (Klp61F) is unaffected by available small molecule inhibitors...
- Wei H, Shu H, Price J. Functional genomic analysis of the 61D-61F region of the third chromosome of Drosophila melanogaster. Genome. 2003;46:1049-58 pubmed..AC005847). Six essential complementation groups were assigned to specific genes, including genes encoding a porphobilinogen deaminase and a Sac1-like protein. ..
- Hesse W, Steiner M, Wohlever M, Kamm R, Hwang W, Lang M. Modular aspects of kinesin force generation machinery. Biophys J. 2013;104:1969-78 pubmed publisher..Its biochemical rates and enhanced force sensitivity may instead be beneficial for operation in a group of motors. Such variations in subdomains would be a strategy for achieving diversity in motility with the conserved motor head. ..
- Cane S, Ye A, Luks Morgan S, Maresca T. Elevated polar ejection forces stabilize kinetochore-microtubule attachments. J Cell Biol. 2013;200:203-18 pubmed publisher..Thus, kt-MT attachment stability is modulated by PEFs, which can be generated by distinct force-producing interactions between chromosomes and dynamic spindle microtubules...
- Vendra G, Hamilton R, Davis I. Dynactin suppresses the retrograde movement of apically localized mRNA in Drosophila blastoderm embryos. RNA. 2007;13:1860-7 pubmed
- Wilson P. BimC motor protein KLP61F cycles between mitotic spindles and fusomes in Drosophila germ cells. Curr Biol. 1999;9:923-6 pubmedb>KLP61F in Drosophila is a member of the BimC family of kinesins and, as for other family members , is required for spindle assembly  . KLP61F is a bipolar homotetramer that cross-links spindle microtubules ...
- Heck M. Dr. Dolittle and the making of the mitotic spindle. Bioessays. 1999;21:985-90 pubmed..A recent study by Sharp et al.((1)) sheds further light on the subject by exploiting the genetics and cytology of the fruit fly embryo. ..
- Hirokawa N, Noda Y, Okada Y. Kinesin and dynein superfamily proteins in organelle transport and cell division. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 1998;10:60-73 pubmed..Sophisticated biophysical and structural analyses of monomeric and dimeric motor proteins have contributed to elucidating the mechanisms behind motor protein motility and polarity. ..