Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Klp3A
Description: Kinesin-like protein at 3A
Alias: 3A7Kin, BcDNA:LD21815, CG8590, DmKLP3A, DmKlp3A, Dmel\CG8590, EG:BACR25B3.9, KIF 4A, KIF4, KIF4A, KLP-3A, KLP3A, Klp 3A, Klp3a, fs(1)M4, klp3A, klp3a, mei-352, Kinesin-like protein at 3A, CG8590-PA, CG8590-PB, Kinesin-Like-Protein-at-3A, Kinesin5, Klp3A-PA, Klp3A-PB, female sterile(1)M4, meiotic 352
Species: fruit fly
- Giansanti M, Bonaccorsi S, Williams B, Williams E, Santolamazza C, Goldberg M, et al. Cooperative interactions between the central spindle and the contractile ring during Drosophila cytokinesis. Genes Dev. 1998;12:396-410 pubmed..between the central spindle and the contractile ring, we examined meiosis in the cytokinesis-defective mutants KLP3A and diaphanous and in testes treated with cytochalasin B...
- Kwon M, Morales Mulia S, Brust Mascher I, Rogers G, Sharp D, Scholey J. The chromokinesin, KLP3A, dives mitotic spindle pole separation during prometaphase and anaphase and facilitates chromatid motility. Mol Biol Cell. 2004;15:219-33 pubmed..Here we examined the contribution of the chromokinesin, KLP3A, to mitotic spindle morphogenesis and chromosome movements in Drosophila embryos and cultured S2 cells...
- Williams B, Dernburg A, Puro J, Nokkala S, Goldberg M. The Drosophila kinesin-like protein KLP3A is required for proper behavior of male and female pronuclei at fertilization. Development. 1997;124:2365-76 pubmedDrosophila melanogaster females homozygous for mutations in the gene encoding the kinesin-like protein KLP3A are sterile (Williams et al., 1995). We have investigated the basis of this sterility...
- Endow S. Microtubule motors in spindle and chromosome motility. Eur J Biochem. 1999;262:12-8 pubmed..The identification of microtubule motors that function in chromosome distribution represents a major advance in understanding the forces that underlie chromosome and spindle movements during cell division. ..
- Kitazawa D, Matsuo T, Kaizuka K, Miyauchi C, Hayashi D, Inoue Y. Orbit/CLASP is required for myosin accumulation at the cleavage furrow in Drosophila male meiosis. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e93669 pubmed publisher..Centralspindlin was dispensable in Orbit ring formation. Instead, the Polo-KLP3A/Feo complex was required for the Orbit accumulation independently of the Orbit MT-binding domain...
- Loppin B, Docquier M, Bonneton F, Couble P. The maternal effect mutation sésame affects the formation of the male pronucleus in Drosophila melanogaster. Dev Biol. 2000;222:392-404 pubmed..This suggests that the maternally provided sésame(+) function is required for a late stage of sperm chromatin remodeling. ..
- Page S, Hawley R. The Drosophila meiotic mutant mei-352 is an allele of klp3A and reveals a role for a kinesin-like protein in crossover distribution. Genetics. 2005;170:1797-807 pubmed..We show that the mei-352 mutation is an allele of the klp3A gene, which encodes a kinesin-like protein of the Kinesin-4 family...
- Karg T, Elting M, Vicars H, Dumont S, Sullivan W. The chromokinesin Klp3a and microtubules facilitate acentric chromosome segregation. J Cell Biol. 2017;216:1597-1608 pubmed publisher..Finally, we show that successful acentric segregation requires the chromokinesin Klp3a. Reduced Klp3a function results in disorganized interpolar microtubules and shortened spindles...
- Lawrence C, Malmberg R, Muszynski M, Dawe R. Maximum likelihood methods reveal conservation of function among closely related kinesin families. J Mol Evol. 2002;54:42-53 pubmed..In addition, we found that one monophyletic clade composed exclusively of sequences with a C-terminal motor domain contains all known minus end-directed kinesins. ..
- Loppin B, Berger F, Couble P. Paternal chromosome incorporation into the zygote nucleus is controlled by maternal haploid in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2001;231:383-96 pubmed..The mh phenotype is highly reminiscent of the early developmental defects observed in eggs fertilized by ms(3)K81 mutant males and in eggs produced in incompatible crosses of Drosophila harboring the endosymbiont bacteria Wolbachia. ..
- Herrmann S, Amorim I, Sunkel C. The POLO kinase is required at multiple stages during spermatogenesis in Drosophila melanogaster. Chromosoma. 1998;107:440-51 pubmed..Immunostaining of polo mutant cells with alpha-tubulin shows several abnormalities of the meiotic spindle, including a significantly reduced central spindle. Our results suggest that polo has multiple functions during spermatogenesis. ..
- Boyd J, Shaw K. Postreplication repair defects in mutants of Drosophila melanogaster. Mol Gen Genet. 1982;186:289-94 pubmed..Two additional defects in postreplication repair were observed with the brain-ganglia assay in strains that cannot be assayed in cell culture [mus(1)108, mus(2)206]. ..
- Hawley R. Meiosis as an "M" thing: twenty-five years of meiotic mutants in Drosophila. Genetics. 1993;135:613-8 pubmed
- Baker B, Carpenter A. Genetic analysis of sex chromosomal meiotic mutants in Drosophilia melanogaster. Genetics. 1972;71:255-86 pubmed
- Carpenter A, Baker B. On the Control of the Distribution of Meiotic Exchange in DROSOPHILA MELANOGASTER. Genetics. 1982;101:81-9 pubmed
- Hawley R, McKim K, Arbel T. Meiotic segregation in Drosophila melanogaster females: molecules, mechanisms, and myths. Annu Rev Genet. 1993;27:281-317 pubmed
- Sampaio P, Rebollo E, Varmark H, Sunkel C, Gonzalez C. Organized microtubule arrays in gamma-tubulin-depleted Drosophila spermatocytes. Curr Biol. 2001;11:1788-93 pubmed..Third, Klp3A and Polo, two markers of the wild-type central spindle are also found around the pointed end of the mutant cones...
- Goodson H, Kang S, Endow S. Molecular phylogeny of the kinesin family of microtubule motor proteins. J Cell Sci. 1994;107 ( Pt 7):1875-84 pubmed..The analysis indicates that many types of kinesin proteins exist in eukaryotic organisms. At least two of the five groups identified in this analysis are expected to be present in most, or all, eukaryotes. ..
- Jang J, Rahman T, McKim K. The kinesinlike protein Subito contributes to central spindle assembly and organization of the meiotic spindle in Drosophila oocytes. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:4684-94 pubmed..We propose that Subito is required for establishing and/or maintaining the central spindle in Drosophila oocytes, and this substitutes for the role of centrosomes in organizing the bipolar spindle. ..
- Cane S, Ye A, Luks Morgan S, Maresca T. Elevated polar ejection forces stabilize kinetochore-microtubule attachments. J Cell Biol. 2013;200:203-18 pubmed publisher..Thus, kt-MT attachment stability is modulated by PEFs, which can be generated by distinct force-producing interactions between chromosomes and dynamic spindle microtubules...
- Dagenbach E, Endow S. A new kinesin tree. J Cell Sci. 2004;117:3-7 pubmed
- Voelker R, Huang S, Wisely G, Sterling J, Bainbridge S, Hiraizumi K. Molecular and genetic organization of the suppressor of sable and minute (1) 1B region in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1989;122:625-42 pubmed..Minute (1) 1B has been provisionally identified as encoding a 3.5-kb message; lethal (1)1Bi encodes a 1-kb message; and lethal (1)1Bk encodes a 4-kb message. The possible functions of su(s) and M(1)1B are discussed. ..
- Straight A, Field C. Microtubules, membranes and cytokinesis. Curr Biol. 2000;10:R760-70 pubmed..Specialized microtubule structures are responsible for directing membrane vesicles to the site of cell cleavage, and vesicle fusion is required for the proper completion of cytokinesis. ..
- Kim A, Endow S. A kinesin family tree. J Cell Sci. 2000;113 Pt 21:3681-2 pubmed
- Vendra G, Hamilton R, Davis I. Dynactin suppresses the retrograde movement of apically localized mRNA in Drosophila blastoderm embryos. RNA. 2007;13:1860-7 pubmed
- Wakefield J, Bonaccorsi S, Gatti M. The drosophila protein asp is involved in microtubule organization during spindle formation and cytokinesis. J Cell Biol. 2001;153:637-48 pubmed..Our data also suggest that Asp has a role in the formation of the central spindle. The inability of asp mutants to correctly organize the central spindle leads to disruption of the contractile ring machinery and failure in cytokinesis. ..
- Sisson J, Field C, Ventura R, Royou A, Sullivan W. Lava lamp, a novel peripheral golgi protein, is required for Drosophila melanogaster cellularization. J Cell Biol. 2000;151:905-18 pubmed..17 MMAPs were identified; seven have been previously implicated in cellularization and/or cytokinesis, including KLP3A, Anillin, Septins, and Dynamin...
- Goode S, Melnick M, Chou T, Perrimon N. The neurogenic genes egghead and brainiac define a novel signaling pathway essential for epithelial morphogenesis during Drosophila oogenesis. Development. 1996;122:3863-79 pubmed
- Sandler L, Szauter P. The effect of recombination-defective meiotic mutants on fourth-chromosome crossing over in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1978;90:699-712 pubmed
- Mason J, Green M, Shaw K, Boyd J. Genetic analysis of X-linked mutagen-sensitive mutants of Drosophila melanogaster. Mutat Res. 1981;81:329-43 pubmed..Cytogenetically mus(1)101D1 is between salivary chromosome bands 12A6,7 and 12D3, mus(1)103D1 is between bands 12A1,2 and 12A6,7 and mus(1)109A1 is in section 8F3--9A2. ..
- Gatti M. Genetic control of chromosome breakage and rejoining in Drosophila melanogaster: spontaneous chromosome aberrations in X-linked mutants defective in DNA metabolism. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1979;76:1377-81 pubmed
- Chlamydas S, Holz H, Samata M, Chelmicki T, Georgiev P, Pelechano V, et al. Functional interplay between MSL1 and CDK7 controls RNA polymerase II Ser5 phosphorylation. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2016;23:580-9 pubmed publisher..We propose that, by virtue of its interaction with components of the general transcription machinery, MSL1 exists in different phosphorylation states, thereby modulating transcription in flies. ..
- Conrad T, Cavalli F, Holz H, Hallacli E, Kind J, Ilik I, et al. The MOF chromobarrel domain controls genome-wide H4K16 acetylation and spreading of the MSL complex. Dev Cell. 2012;22:610-24 pubmed publisher..We propose that MOF has been especially tailored to achieve tight regulation of its enzymatic activity and enable its dual role on X and autosomes...
- Gatt M, Savoian M, Riparbelli M, Massarelli C, Callaini G, Glover D. Klp67A destabilises pre-anaphase microtubules but subsequently is required to stabilise the central spindle. J Cell Sci. 2005;118:2671-82 pubmed..diminished bundles of abnormally positioned central spindle microtubules associated with the pavarotti-KLP and KLP3A motor proteins. The minus ends of these were poorly aligned as revealed by Asp protein localisation...
- Cook K, Murphy T, Nguyen T, Karpen G. Identification of trans-acting genes necessary for centromere function in Drosophila melanogaster using centromere-defective minichromosomes. Genetics. 1997;145:737-47 pubmed..Heterozygous mutations in the ncd and klp3A kinesin-like protein genes strongly reduced the transmission of minichromosomes missing portions of the ..
- Morris N. Nuclear migration. From fungi to the mammalian brain. J Cell Biol. 2000;148:1097-101 pubmed
- Baker B, Carpenter A, Ripoll P. The Utilization during Mitotic Cell Division of Loci Controlling Meiotic Recombination and Disjunction in DROSOPHILA MELANOGASTER. Genetics. 1978;90:531-78 pubmed..Mutants at the two remaining loci (nod, pal) do not affect mitotic chromosome stability. ..
- Silverman Gavrila R, Wilde A. Ran is required before metaphase for spindle assembly and chromosome alignment and after metaphase for chromosome segregation and spindle midbody organization. Mol Biol Cell. 2006;17:2069-80 pubmed..The Ran pathway mediates these mitotic events, in part, by facilitating the correct targeting of the kinase Aurora A and the kinesins KLP61F and KLP3A to spindles.