Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Incenp
Description: Inner centromere protein
Alias: CG12165, DmINCENP, Dmel\CG12165, INCENP, anon-WO0118547.171, dIncenp, incenp, mat(2)ea-C, mat(2)earlyQA26, inner centromere protein, CG12165-PA, CG12165-PB, CG12165-PC, Incenp-PA, Incenp-PB, Incenp-PC, maternal effect early arrest C
Species: fruit fly
- Resnick T, Satinover D, MacIsaac F, Stukenberg P, Earnshaw W, Orr Weaver T, et al. INCENP and Aurora B promote meiotic sister chromatid cohesion through localization of the Shugoshin MEI-S332 in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2006;11:57-68 pubmedThe chromosomal passenger complex protein INCENP is required in mitosis for chromosome condensation, spindle attachment and function, and cytokinesis...
- Colombié N, Cullen C, Brittle A, Jang J, Earnshaw W, Carmena M, et al. Dual roles of Incenp crucial to the assembly of the acentrosomal metaphase spindle in female meiosis. Development. 2008;135:3239-46 pubmed publisher..Here, we report two crucial roles of Incenp, an essential subunit of the chromosomal passenger complex (the Aurora B complex), in centrosome-independent ..
- Cesario J, Jang J, Redding B, Shah N, Rahman T, McKim K. Kinesin 6 family member Subito participates in mitotic spindle assembly and interacts with mitotic regulators. J Cell Sci. 2006;119:4770-80 pubmed..Subito localizes to the spindle midzone at anaphase and is required for the localization of Polo, Incenp and Aurora B...
- Orr B, Sunkel C. Drosophila CENP-C is essential for centromere identity. Chromosoma. 2011;120:83-96 pubmed publisher..We suggest that CENP-C might fulfill the structural roles of the human centromere-associated proteins not identified in Drosophila. ..
- Das A, Shah S, Fan B, Paik D, DiSanto D, Hinman A, et al. Spindle Assembly and Chromosome Segregation Requires Central Spindle Proteins in Drosophila Oocytes. Genetics. 2016;202:61-75 pubmed publisher..In this study we have conducted genetic screens to identify genes that interact with subito or the CPC component Incenp. In addition, the meiotic mutant phenotype for some of the genes identified in these screens were characterized...
- Royou A, Gagou M, Karess R, Sullivan W. BubR1- and Polo-coated DNA tethers facilitate poleward segregation of acentric chromatids. Cell. 2010;140:235-45 pubmed publisher..The acentric chromatid poleward movement is mediated through DNA tethers decorated with BubR1, Polo, INCENP, and Aurora-B...
- Ahmad S, Tansey T, Busser B, Nolte M, Jeffries N, Gisselbrecht S, et al. Two forkhead transcription factors regulate the division of cardiac progenitor cells by a Polo-dependent pathway. Dev Cell. 2012;23:97-111 pubmed publisher..This pathway demonstrates how transcription factors integrate diverse developmental processes during organogenesis. ..
- Pandey R, Heeger S, Lehner C. Rapid effects of acute anoxia on spindle kinetochore interactions activate the mitotic spindle checkpoint. J Cell Sci. 2007;120:2807-18 pubmed..Although involving adenosine triphosphate (ATP)-consuming kinases, the spindle checkpoint can therefore be activated by spindle damage in response to acute anoxia and protect against aneuploidies. ..
- Hughes S, Gilliland W, Cotitta J, Takeo S, Collins K, Hawley R. Heterochromatic threads connect oscillating chromosomes during prometaphase I in Drosophila oocytes. PLoS Genet. 2009;5:e1000348 pubmed publisher..Additionally, the passenger complex proteins Incenp and Aurora B appeared to localize to these heterochromatic threads...
- Lemos B, Branco A, Hartl D. Epigenetic effects of polymorphic Y chromosomes modulate chromatin components, immune response, and sexual conflict. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:15826-31 pubmed publisher..include key components such as HP1, Trithorax-like (GAGA factor), Su(var)3-9, Brahma, MCM2, ORC2, and inner centromere protein. Furthermore, mitochondria-related genes, immune response genes, and transposable elements are also ..
- Carmena M, Lombardía M, Ogawa H, Earnshaw W. Polo kinase regulates the localization and activity of the chromosomal passenger complex in meiosis and mitosis in Drosophila melanogaster. Open Biol. 2014;4:140162 pubmed publisher..centromere in mitosis, and that the interaction between Polo and the chromosomal passenger complex (CPC) component INCENP is essential in this activation...
- Li H, Pan L, Gou K. Depletion of ribosomal protein L8 impairs Drosophila development and is associated with apoptosis. Sci China Life Sci. 2010;53:1092-7 pubmed publisher..to be key factors in apoptosis (p53, hid, reaper, dark, Dcp-1) and cell cycle regulation (cdc45, MCM3, cyclin B, incenp) in L8-deficient S2 cells, were consistent with their role in apoptosis induction and cell cycle arrest...
- Vass S, Cotterill S, Valdeolmillos A, Barbero J, Lin E, Warren W, et al. Depletion of Drad21/Scc1 in Drosophila cells leads to instability of the cohesin complex and disruption of mitotic progression. Curr Biol. 2003;13:208-18 pubmed..The dynamics of the chromosome passenger protein, INCENP, are affected after Drad21 depletion...
- Crest J, Concha Moore K, Sullivan W. RhoGEF and positioning of rappaport-like furrows in the early Drosophila embryo. Curr Biol. 2012;22:2037-41 pubmed publisher..We propose that the shift to the latter is driven by a corresponding shift from RhoGEF2 to Pebble in controlling furrow formation. ..
- Szafer Glusman E, Fuller M, Giansanti M. Role of Survivin in cytokinesis revealed by a separation-of-function allele. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:3779-90 pubmed publisherThe chromosomal passenger complex (CPC), containing Aurora B kinase, Inner Centromere Protein, Survivin, and Borealin, regulates chromosome condensation and interaction between kinetochores and microtubules at metaphase, then relocalizes ..
- Wu C, Singaram V, McKim K. mei-38 is required for chromosome segregation during meiosis in Drosophila females. Genetics. 2008;180:61-72 pubmed publisher..We suggest MEI-38 is required for the stability of parallel microtubules, including the kinetochore microtubules. ..
- Resnick T, Dej K, Xiang Y, Hawley R, Ahn C, Orr Weaver T. Mutations in the chromosomal passenger complex and the condensin complex differentially affect synaptonemal complex disassembly and metaphase I configuration in Drosophila female meiosis. Genetics. 2009;181:875-87 pubmed publisher..We used the QA26 allele of passenger component incenp to investigate the role of the passenger complex in oocyte meiosis...
- Parry D, Hickson G, O Farrell P. Cyclin B destruction triggers changes in kinetochore behavior essential for successful anaphase. Curr Biol. 2003;13:647-53 pubmed..Finally, the normal anaphase release of AuroraB/INCENP from kinetochores was blocked by CYC-B(S) expression and, reciprocally, was advanced in a CycB mutant...
- Gao S, Giansanti M, Buttrick G, Ramasubramanyan S, Auton A, Gatti M, et al. Australin: a chromosomal passenger protein required specifically for Drosophila melanogaster male meiosis. J Cell Biol. 2008;180:521-35 pubmed publisherThe chromosomal passenger complex (CPC), which is composed of conserved proteins aurora B, inner centromere protein (INCENP), survivin, and Borealin/DASRA, localizes to chromatin, kinetochores, microtubules, and the cell cortex in a cell ..
- Chang C, Goulding S, Adams R, Earnshaw W, Carmena M. Drosophila Incenp is required for cytokinesis and asymmetric cell division during development of the nervous system. J Cell Sci. 2006;119:1144-53 pubmed..The inner centromere protein (Incenp; a subunit of this complex) is thought to regulate the Aurora B kinase and target it to its ..
- Hediger F, Gasser S. Heterochromatin protein 1: don't judge the book by its cover!. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 2006;16:143-50 pubmed..Not only do HP1 isoforms have specific binding sites in both heterochromatic and euchromatic domains but they might also participate in the repression and activation of transcription in both compartments. ..
- Radford S, Jang J, McKim K. The chromosomal passenger complex is required for meiotic acentrosomal spindle assembly and chromosome biorientation. Genetics. 2012;192:417-29 pubmed publisher..kinesin-6 protein Subito, which is required for spindle bipolarity, depend on the CPC components Aurora B and Incenp. Based on these data we propose that the ring of CPC around the chromosomes regulates multiple aspects of meiotic ..
- Arruda S, Dolph P. Molecular cloning of the pawn locus from Drosophila melanogaster. Gene. 2003;310:169-73 pubmed..The gene is expressed throughout development with highest expression found in the late embryonic and larval stages. ..
- Mathieu J, Cauvin C, Moch C, Radford S, Sampaio P, Perdigoto C, et al. Aurora B and cyclin B have opposite effects on the timing of cytokinesis abscission in Drosophila germ cells and in vertebrate somatic cells. Dev Cell. 2013;26:250-65 pubmed publisher..Finally, we show that inhibitions of Aurora B and Cyclin-dependent kinase 1 activity in vertebrate cells also have opposite effects on the timing of abscission, suggesting a possible conservation of these mechanisms. ..
- Chang C, Goulding S, Earnshaw W, Carmena M. RNAi analysis reveals an unexpected role for topoisomerase II in chromosome arm congression to a metaphase plate. J Cell Sci. 2003;116:4715-26 pubmed..This is not kinetochore-based movement, as the centromere of the affected chromosome is located on the plate. This observation raises the possibility that further unexpected functions for Topo II may remain to be discovered. ..
- Bownes M, Charlesworth B, Davis I, Finnegan D, Heck M, Jarman A, et al. Report on the 17(th) European Drosophila research conference. Bioessays. 2002;24:99-101 pubmed