Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Ilp5
Description: Insulin-like peptide 5
Alias: CG33273, DILP, DILP-5, DILP5, Dilp, Dilp 5, Dilp-5, Dilp5, Dmel\CG33273, ILP5, Ilp, Ilp-5, dILP-5, dILP5, dIlp5, dilp, dilp-5, dilp5, ilp5, Insulin-like peptide 5, CG33273-PA, Ilp5-PA, drosophila insulin-like peptide 5, insulin like peptide 5, insulin-like peptide, insulin-like peptide-5
Species: fruit fly
- Haselton A, Sharmin E, Schrader J, Sah M, Poon P, Fridell Y. Partial ablation of adult Drosophila insulin-producing neurons modulates glucose homeostasis and extends life span without insulin resistance. Cell Cycle. 2010;9:3063-71 pubmed publisher..set out to determine the impact of adult-specific partial ablation of IPCs (IPC knockdown) on insulin-like peptide (ILP) action, metabolic outcomes and longevity...
- Giannakou M, Goss M, Jacobson J, Vinti G, Leevers S, Partridge L. Dynamics of the action of dFOXO on adult mortality in Drosophila. Aging Cell. 2007;6:429-38 pubmed..The decreased mortality and increased lifespan of dFOXO overexpressing flies was uncoupled from any effect on female fecundity and from expression levels of Drosophila insulin-like peptides in the brain. ..
- Min K, Yamamoto R, Buch S, Pankratz M, Tatar M. Drosophila lifespan control by dietary restriction independent of insulin-like signaling. Aging Cell. 2008;7:199-206 pubmed publisher..In contrast, conditions of DR that increase lifespan change only insulin-like peptide-5 (ilp5) mRNA abundance...
- Lee K, Kwon O, Lee J, Kwon K, Min K, Jung S, et al. Drosophila short neuropeptide F signalling regulates growth by ERK-mediated insulin signalling. Nat Cell Biol. 2008;10:468-75 pubmed publisher..Drosophila sNPF and the evolutionarily conserved mammalian NPY seem to regulate ERK-mediated insulin expression and thus to systemically modulate growth, metabolism and lifespan. ..
- Okamoto N, Nakamori R, Murai T, Yamauchi Y, Masuda A, Nishimura T. A secreted decoy of InR antagonizes insulin/IGF signaling to restrict body growth in Drosophila. Genes Dev. 2013;27:87-97 pubmed publisher..We propose that Drosophila uses a secreted decoy to fine-tune systemic growth against fluctuations of circulating insulin levels. ..
- Fridell Y, Hoh M, Kréneisz O, Hosier S, Chang C, Scantling D, et al. Increased uncoupling protein (UCP) activity in Drosophila insulin-producing neurons attenuates insulin signaling and extends lifespan. Aging (Albany NY). 2009;1:699-713 pubmed..In summary, we have demonstrated a role for UCP in adult Drosophila IPCs in influencing systemic insulin signaling and longevity by a mechanism that may involve K(ATP) channels...
- Flatt T, Min K, D Alterio C, Villa Cuesta E, Cumbers J, Lehmann R, et al. Drosophila germ-line modulation of insulin signaling and lifespan. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:6368-73 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that signals from the gonad regulate lifespan and modulate insulin sensitivity in the fly and that the gonadal regulation of aging is evolutionarily conserved. ..
- Sousa Nunes R, Yee L, Gould A. Fat cells reactivate quiescent neuroblasts via TOR and glial insulin relays in Drosophila. Nature. 2011;471:508-12 pubmed publisher..Drosophila thus contains two segregated ILP pools, one regulating proliferation within the central nervous system and the other controlling tissue growth ..
- Alic N, Hoddinott M, Vinti G, Partridge L. Lifespan extension by increased expression of the Drosophila homologue of the IGFBP7 tumour suppressor. Aging Cell. 2011;10:137-47 pubmed publisher..is capable of binding at least two of the seven Drosophila insulin-like peptides (DILPs), namely native DILP2 and DILP5 as present in the adult fly...
- Ikeya T, Galic M, Belawat P, Nairz K, Hafen E. Nutrient-dependent expression of insulin-like peptides from neuroendocrine cells in the CNS contributes to growth regulation in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2002;12:1293-300 pubmed..Three of the dilp genes are expressed in seven median neurosecretory cells (m-NSCs) in the brain...
- Sekine O, Love D, Rubenstein D, Hanover J. Blocking O-linked GlcNAc cycling in Drosophila insulin-producing cells perturbs glucose-insulin homeostasis. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:38684-91 pubmed publisher..Knockdown of Ogt decreased Dilp2, Dilp3, and Dilp5 production, with reduced body size and decreased phosphorylation of Akt in vivo...
- O Brien L, Soliman S, Li X, Bilder D. Altered modes of stem cell division drive adaptive intestinal growth. Cell. 2011;147:603-14 pubmed publisher..Thus, tissue renewal programs are not committed to maintain cellular equilibrium; stem cells can remodel organs in response to physiological triggers. ..
- Zhang H, Liu J, Li C, Momen B, Kohanski R, Pick L. Deletion of Drosophila insulin-like peptides causes growth defects and metabolic abnormalities. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:19617-22 pubmed publisher..In contrast, Df[dilp6] or Df[dilp7] animals showed no major metabolic defects. We discuss physiological differences between mammals and insects that may explain the unexpected survival of lean, 'diabetic' flies. ..
- Oldham S, Hafen E. Insulin/IGF and target of rapamycin signaling: a TOR de force in growth control. Trends Cell Biol. 2003;13:79-85 pubmed..This review summarizes current studies primarily from Drosophila regarding the function of the insulin/IGF system in the control of growth. ..
- Hwangbo D, Gershman B, Gersham B, Tu M, Palmer M, Tatar M. Drosophila dFOXO controls lifespan and regulates insulin signalling in brain and fat body. Nature. 2004;429:562-6 pubmed..We further show that this limited activation of dFOXO reduces expression of the Drosophila insulin-like peptide dilp-2 synthesized in neurons, and represses endogenous insulin-dependent signalling in peripheral fat body...
- Broughton S, Piper M, Ikeya T, Bass T, Jacobson J, Driege Y, et al. Longer lifespan, altered metabolism, and stress resistance in Drosophila from ablation of cells making insulin-like ligands. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:3105-10 pubmed..However, the ablated flies show an extension of median and maximal lifespan and increased resistance to oxidative stress and starvation. ..
- Arquier N, Geminard C, Bourouis M, Jarretou G, Honegger B, Paix A, et al. Drosophila ALS regulates growth and metabolism through functional interaction with insulin-like peptides. Cell Metab. 2008;7:333-8 pubmed publisher..In Drosophila, a family of seven insulin-like peptides, called Dilps, activate a common insulin receptor. Some Dilp peptides carry both metabolic and growth functions, raising the possibility that various binding partners specify ..
- Karpac J, Hull Thompson J, Falleur M, Jasper H. JNK signaling in insulin-producing cells is required for adaptive responses to stress in Drosophila. Aging Cell. 2009;8:288-95 pubmed publisher..JNK activation in Insulin-producing cells (IPCs) is sufficient to repress Insulin and Insulin-like peptide (ILP) expression in rats and flies, but the significance of this interaction for adaptive responses to stress is unclear...
- Colombani J, Raisin S, Pantalacci S, Radimerski T, Montagne J, Leopold P. A nutrient sensor mechanism controls Drosophila growth. Cell. 2003;114:739-49 pubmed..Our results demonstrate that the fat body functions as a nutrient sensor that restricts global growth through a humoral mechanism. ..
- Bai H, Kang P, Tatar M. Drosophila insulin-like peptide-6 (dilp6) expression from fat body extends lifespan and represses secretion of Drosophila insulin-like peptide-2 from the brain. Aging Cell. 2012;11:978-85 pubmed publisher..Adult fat body dilp6 expression represses dilp2 and dilp5 mRNA in the brain, and the secretion of DILP2 into the hemolymph...
- Birse R, Söderberg J, Luo J, Winther A, Nassel D. Regulation of insulin-producing cells in the adult Drosophila brain via the tachykinin peptide receptor DTKR. J Exp Biol. 2011;214:4201-8 pubmed publisher..Dilp2 and Dilp3, but not Dilp5, transcripts were significantly affected by DTKR knockdown in IPCs, both in fed and starved flies...
- Buch S, Melcher C, Bauer M, Katzenberger J, Pankratz M. Opposing effects of dietary protein and sugar regulate a transcriptional target of Drosophila insulin-like peptide signaling. Cell Metab. 2008;7:321-32 pubmed publisher..tobi is thus a target of the insulin- and glucagon-like signaling system that responds oppositely to dietary protein and sugar. ..
- Slaidina M, Delanoue R, Gronke S, Partridge L, Leopold P. A Drosophila insulin-like peptide promotes growth during nonfeeding states. Dev Cell. 2009;17:874-84 pubmed publisher..We show here that, during metamorphosis, when feeding stops, a specific DILP (Dilp6) is produced by the fat body and relays the growth signal...
- Geminard C, Rulifson E, Leopold P. Remote control of insulin secretion by fat cells in Drosophila. Cell Metab. 2009;10:199-207 pubmed publisher..liver and white fat, couples the level of circulating Dilps with dietary amino acid levels by remotely controlling Dilp release through a TOR/RAPTOR-dependent mechanism...
- Sajid W, Kulahin N, Schluckebier G, Ribel U, Henderson H, Tatar M, et al. Structural and biological properties of the Drosophila insulin-like peptide 5 show evolutionary conservation. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:661-73 pubmed publisherWe report the crystal structure of two variants of Drosophila melanogaster insulin-like peptide 5 (DILP5) at a resolution of 1.85 Å...
- Marshall L, Rideout E, Grewal S. Nutrient/TOR-dependent regulation of RNA polymerase III controls tissue and organismal growth in Drosophila. EMBO J. 2012;31:1916-30 pubmed publisher..Thus, stimulation of Pol III is a key downstream effector of TOR in the control of cellular and systemic growth. ..
- Varghese J, Lim S, Cohen S. Drosophila miR-14 regulates insulin production and metabolism through its target, sugarbabe. Genes Dev. 2010;24:2748-53 pubmed publisher..Regulation of sugarbabe levels by nutrients and by miR-14 combines to allow the fly to manage resource mobilization in a nutritionally variable environment. ..
- Teleman A. Molecular mechanisms of metabolic regulation by insulin in Drosophila. Biochem J. 2009;425:13-26 pubmed publisher..I discuss both the intracellular signalling network, as well as the communication between organs in the fly. ..
- Rideout E, Marshall L, Grewal S. Drosophila RNA polymerase III repressor Maf1 controls body size and developmental timing by modulating tRNAiMet synthesis and systemic insulin signaling. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:1139-44 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest the stimulation of tRNA(i)(Met) synthesis via inhibition of dMaf1 is limiting for nutrition-dependent growth during development. ..
- Xu K, Zheng X, Sehgal A. Regulation of feeding and metabolism by neuronal and peripheral clocks in Drosophila. Cell Metab. 2008;8:289-300 pubmed publisher..We propose that the input of neuronal clocks and clocks in metabolic tissues is coordinated to provide effective energy homeostasis...
- Broughton S, Alic N, Slack C, Bass T, Ikeya T, Vinti G, et al. Reduction of DILP2 in Drosophila triages a metabolic phenotype from lifespan revealing redundancy and compensation among DILPs. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e3721 pubmed publisher..To understand the normal regulation of expression of the dilps and any functional diversification between them will require independent control of the expression of different dilps. ..
- Thomas A, Lee P, Dalton J, Nomie K, Stoica L, Costa Mattioli M, et al. A versatile method for cell-specific profiling of translated mRNAs in Drosophila. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e40276 pubmed publisher..This method can be used to determine the unique translatome profiles in different cell-types under varied physiological, pharmacological and pathological conditions. ..
- Luo J, Lushchak O, Goergen P, Williams M, Nassel D. Drosophila insulin-producing cells are differentially modulated by serotonin and octopamine receptors and affect social behavior. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e99732 pubmed publisher..Our observations suggest that activation of 5-HT1A and OAMB signaling in IPCs generates differential effects on Dilp transcription, fly physiology, metabolism and social interactions...
- Chen Q, Das S, Visic P, Buford K, Zong Y, Buti W, et al. The drosophila T-box transcription factor midline functions within Insulin/Akt and c-Jun-N terminal kinase stress-reactive signaling pathways to regulate interommatial bristle formation and cell survival. Mech Dev. 2015;136:8-29 pubmed publisher
- Kwak S, Hong S, Bajracharya R, Yang S, Lee K, Yu K. Drosophila adiponectin receptor in insulin producing cells regulates glucose and lipid metabolism by controlling insulin secretion. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e68641 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrates a new adipokine signaling in Drosophila and provides insights for the mammalian adiponectin receptor function in pancreatic beta cells, which could be useful for therapeutic application. ..
- Leevers S. Growth control: invertebrate insulin surprises!. Curr Biol. 2001;11:R209-12 pubmed..Invertebrates have been found to possess more insulin-like ligands than predicted, some of which behave as receptor antagonists. ..
- Clements J, Hens K, Francis C, Schellens A, Callaerts P. Conserved role for the Drosophila Pax6 homolog Eyeless in differentiation and function of insulin-producing neurons. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:16183-8 pubmed publisher..demonstrate that Eyeless controls IPC function by the direct transcriptional control of one of the major Dilps, dilp5. We propose that Eyeless has an evolutionarily conserved role in IPCs with remarkable similarities to the role of ..
- Kim J, Neufeld T. Dietary sugar promotes systemic TOR activation in Drosophila through AKH-dependent selective secretion of Dilp3. Nat Commun. 2015;6:6846 pubmed publisher..Thus, IPCs integrate multiple cues to regulate the secretion of distinct insulin subtypes under varying nutrient conditions. ..
- Alfa R, Park S, Skelly K, Poffenberger G, Jain N, Gu X, et al. Suppression of insulin production and secretion by a decretin hormone. Cell Metab. 2015;21:323-33 pubmed publisher..We propose Lst as an index member of an ancient hormone class called decretins, which suppress insulin output. ..
- Hahn K, Miranda M, Francis V, Vendrell J, Zorzano A, Teleman A. PP2A regulatory subunit PP2A-B' counteracts S6K phosphorylation. Cell Metab. 2010;11:438-44 pubmed publisher..Since S6K affects development of cancer and metabolic disease, our data identify PPP2R5C as a novel factor of potential medical relevance. ..
- Guirao Rico S, Aguade M. Patterns of nucleotide diversity at the regions encompassing the Drosophila insulin-like peptide (dilp) genes: demography vs. positive selection in Drosophila melanogaster. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e53593 pubmed publisher..melanogaster and divergence from D. simulans at different functional classes of the dilp genes provided no evidence of adaptive protein evolution after the split of the D. melanogaster and D...
- Yamamoto R, Bai H, Dolezal A, Amdam G, Tatar M. Juvenile hormone regulation of Drosophila aging. BMC Biol. 2013;11:85 pubmed publisher..We identify transcripts that change in response to juvenile hormone independent of reproductive state and suggest these represent somatically expressed genes that could modulate how juvenile hormone controls persistence and longevity. ..
- Karpac J, Biteau B, Jasper H. Misregulation of an adaptive metabolic response contributes to the age-related disruption of lipid homeostasis in Drosophila. Cell Rep. 2013;4:1250-61 pubmed publisher..Changes in the regulation of Foxo-mediated adaptive responses thus contribute to the age-associated breakdown of metabolic homeostasis. ..
- Post S, Tatar M. Nutritional Geometric Profiles of Insulin/IGF Expression in Drosophila melanogaster. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0155628 pubmed publisher..b>Dilp5 expression was highly expressed at approximately a 1:2 protein-to-carbohydrate ratio and its level increased with ..
- Linneweber G, Jacobson J, Busch K, Hudry B, Christov C, Dormann D, et al. Neuronal control of metabolism through nutrient-dependent modulation of tracheal branching. Cell. 2014;156:69-83 pubmed publisher..Thus, we describe a novel mechanism by which nutritional cues modulate neuronal activity to give rise to organ-specific, long-lasting changes in vascular architecture. ..
- Ghosh A, Rideout E, Grewal S. TIF-IA-dependent regulation of ribosome synthesis in drosophila muscle is required to maintain systemic insulin signaling and larval growth. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004750 pubmed publisher..peptides (dILPs) from the brain and increased expression of Imp-L2-a secreted factor that binds and inhibits dILP activity-from muscle...
- Kawasaki K, Yamada S, Ogata K, Saito Y, Takahama A, Yamada T, et al. Use of Drosophila as an evaluation method reveals imp as a candidate gene for type 2 diabetes in rat locus Niddm22. J Diabetes Res. 2015;2015:758564 pubmed publisher..Consistent with previous reports of dilp mutants, the imp mutant flies exhibited an extension of life span; in contrast, starvation tolerance was reduced...
- Gündner A, Hahn I, Sendscheid O, Aberle H, Hoch M. The PIKE homolog Centaurin gamma regulates developmental timing in Drosophila. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e97332 pubmed publisher..Together, we propose a novel role for Drosophila Ceng1A in regulating ecdysone signaling-dependent second to third instar larval transition. ..
- Matsuda H, Yamada T, Yoshida M, Nishimura T. Flies without trehalose. J Biol Chem. 2015;290:1244-55 pubmed publisher..These diet-dependent phenotypes of Tps1 mutants demonstrate the critical role of trehalose during development in Drosophila and reveal how animals adapt to changes in nutrient availability. ..
- Thomson T, Schneemann A, Johnson J. Oocyte destruction is activated during viral infection. Genesis. 2012;50:453-65 pubmed publisher..The genetic and signaling requirements for oocyte destruction delineated here represent a novel host-virus interaction with implications for the control of both fly and virus populations. ..
- Kayashima Y, Yamanashi K, Sato A, Kumazawa S, Yamakawa Kobayashi K. Freeze-dried royal jelly maintains its developmental and physiological bioactivity in Drosophila melanogaster. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2012;76:2107-11 pubmed..Moreover, the expression of dilp5, an insulin-like peptide, its receptor InR, and the nutrient sensing molecule TOR, the target of rapamycin, was ..
- NÃ¤ssel D, Williams M. Cholecystokinin-Like Peptide (DSK) in Drosophila, Not Only for Satiety Signaling. Front Endocrinol (Lausanne). 2014;5:219 pubmed publisher..Activity in the DSK-producing neurons is regulated by octopamine. We discuss mechanisms behind CCK function in satiety, aggression, and locomotion in some detail and highlight similarities to mammalian CCK signaling. ..
- Shingleton A. Body-size regulation: combining genetics and physiology. Curr Biol. 2005;15:R825-7 pubmed..New research has revealed that the activity of the insulin-signaling pathway in the prothoracic gland of Drosophila modulates ecdysone release and thereby influences both the duration and rate of larval growth. ..
- Nairz K, Zipperlen P, Dearolf C, Basler K, Hafen E. A reverse genetic screen in Drosophila using a deletion-inducing mutagen. Genome Biol. 2004;5:R83 pubmed..As the spectrum of HMPA-induced mutations is similar in a variety of organisms, it should be possible to transfer this mutagenesis and detection procedure to other model systems. ..
- Erion R, Sehgal A. Regulation of insect behavior via the insulin-signaling pathway. Front Physiol. 2013;4:353 pubmed publisher..Here we review the role of insulin signaling in two specific insect behaviors: feeding and locomotion. ..
- Rovenko B, Perkhulyn N, Gospodaryov D, Sanz A, Lushchak O, Lushchak V. High consumption of fructose rather than glucose promotes a diet-induced obese phenotype in Drosophila melanogaster. Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol. 2015;180:75-85 pubmed publisher..by fructose in Drosophila was associated with increased food consumption and reduced mRNA levels of DILP2 and DILP5 in the brain of adult flies...
- Papatheodorou I, Ziehm M, Wieser D, Alic N, Partridge L, Thornton J. Using answer set programming to integrate RNA expression with signalling pathway information to infer how mutations affect ageing. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e50881 pubmed publisher..Our methods are available in the web-service NetEffects: http://www.ebi.ac.uk/thornton-srv/software/NetEffects. ..
- Söderberg J, Birse R, Nassel D. Insulin production and signaling in renal tubules of Drosophila is under control of tachykinin-related peptide and regulates stress resistance. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e19866 pubmed publisher..Here we show that DILP5 is expressed in principal cells of the renal tubules of Drosophila and affects survival at stress...
- Okamoto N, Nishimura T. Signaling from Glia and Cholinergic Neurons Controls Nutrient-Dependent Production of an Insulin-like Peptide for Drosophila Body Growth. Dev Cell. 2015;35:295-310 pubmed publisher..we show that signaling relay and feedback mechanisms control the nutrient-dependent expression of Drosophila ILP5 (Dilp5)...
- Essers P, Tain L, Nespital T, Gonçalves J, Froehlich J, Partridge L. Reduced insulin/insulin-like growth factor signaling decreases translation in Drosophila and mice. Sci Rep. 2016;6:30290 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the mechanisms underlying lowered translation may differ in mice, possibly associated with the complexity of the regulatory processes. ..
- Hur J, Bahadorani S, Graniel J, Koehler C, Ulgherait M, Rera M, et al. Increased longevity mediated by yeast NDI1 expression in Drosophila intestinal stem and progenitor cells. Aging (Albany NY). 2013;5:662-81 pubmed..Together, these results demonstrate that ndi1 expression in the intestinal epithelium is an effective strategy to delay tissue and organismal aging. ..
- Wagner A, Piegholdt S, Rabe D, Baenas N, Schloesser A, Eggersdorfer M, et al. Epigallocatechin gallate affects glucose metabolism and increases fitness and lifespan in Drosophila melanogaster. Oncotarget. 2015;6:30568-78 pubmed publisher..We propose that a decrease in glucose metabolism in connection with an upregulated expression of Spargel contribute to the better fitness and the extended lifespan in EGCG-treated flies. ..
- Yan Y, Wang H, Chen H, LindstrÃ¶m Battle A, Jiao R. Ecdysone and insulin signaling play essential roles in readjusting the altered body size caused by the dGPAT4 mutation in Drosophila. J Genet Genomics. 2015;42:487-94 pubmed publisher..Thus, we propose that a strategy has been evolved by the animals to reach final body size when challenged by genetic alterations, which requires the coordinated ecdysone and insulin signaling. ..
- Cao H, Wiemerslage L, Marttila P, Williams M, SchiÃ¶th H. Bis-(2-ethylhexyl) Phthalate Increases Insulin Expression and Lipid Levels in Drosophila melanogaster. Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol. 2016;119:309-16 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that long-term DEHP feeding may induce diabetes-like dysfunctions. These findings provide a molecular background of how DEHP may have detrimental effects on metabolic functions. ..
- Claeys I, Simonet G, Poels J, Van Loy T, Vercammen L, De Loof A, et al. Insulin-related peptides and their conserved signal transduction pathway. Peptides. 2002;23:807-16 pubmed
- Wigby S, Slack C, Gronke S, Martinez P, Calboli F, Chapman T, et al. Insulin signalling regulates remating in female Drosophila. Proc Biol Sci. 2011;278:424-31 pubmed publisher..of Drosophila insulin-like peptide (DILP)-producing median neurosecretory cells, knockout of dilp2, dilp3 or dilp5 genes, expression of a dominant-negative DILP-receptor (InR) transgene or knockout of Lnk, results in reduced ..