Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Ilp3
Description: Insulin-like peptide 3
Alias: CG14167, DILP, DILP-3, DILP3, Dilp, Dilp 3, Dilp-3, Dilp3, Dmel\CG14167, Ilp, Ilp-3, dILP-3, dILP3, dIlp3, dilp, dilp-3, dilp3, ilp3, Insulin-like peptide 3, CG14167-PA, Ilp3-PA, drosophila insulin-like peptide 3, insulin-like peptide
Species: fruit fly
- Wu Q, Brown M. Signaling and function of insulin-like peptides in insects. Annu Rev Entomol. 2006;51:1-24 pubmed..a) an integrated summary of the efforts to characterize the distribution of ILPs in insects and to define this pathway and its functions in Drosophila and (b) a few considerations for future studies of ILP endocrinology in insects.
- Giannakou M, Goss M, Jacobson J, Vinti G, Leevers S, Partridge L. Dynamics of the action of dFOXO on adult mortality in Drosophila. Aging Cell. 2007;6:429-38 pubmed..The decreased mortality and increased lifespan of dFOXO overexpressing flies was uncoupled from any effect on female fecundity and from expression levels of Drosophila insulin-like peptides in the brain. ..
- Slaidina M, Delanoue R, Gronke S, Partridge L, Leopold P. A Drosophila insulin-like peptide promotes growth during nonfeeding states. Dev Cell. 2009;17:874-84 pubmed publisher..We show here that, during metamorphosis, when feeding stops, a specific DILP (Dilp6) is produced by the fat body and relays the growth signal...
- Teleman A. Molecular mechanisms of metabolic regulation by insulin in Drosophila. Biochem J. 2009;425:13-26 pubmed publisher..I discuss both the intracellular signalling network, as well as the communication between organs in the fly. ..
- Colombani J, Raisin S, Pantalacci S, Radimerski T, Montagne J, Leopold P. A nutrient sensor mechanism controls Drosophila growth. Cell. 2003;114:739-49 pubmed..Our results demonstrate that the fat body functions as a nutrient sensor that restricts global growth through a humoral mechanism. ..
- Okamoto N, Yamanaka N, Yagi Y, Nishida Y, Kataoka H, O Connor M, et al. A fat body-derived IGF-like peptide regulates postfeeding growth in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2009;17:885-91 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that DILP6 is a functional, as well as a structural, counterpart of vertebrate IGFs. Our data provide in vivo evidence for a role of ILPs in determining adult body size through the regulation of postfeeding growth...
- Karpac J, Hull Thompson J, Falleur M, Jasper H. JNK signaling in insulin-producing cells is required for adaptive responses to stress in Drosophila. Aging Cell. 2009;8:288-95 pubmed publisher..JNK activation in Insulin-producing cells (IPCs) is sufficient to repress Insulin and Insulin-like peptide (ILP) expression in rats and flies, but the significance of this interaction for adaptive responses to stress is unclear...
- Broughton S, Alic N, Slack C, Bass T, Ikeya T, Vinti G, et al. Reduction of DILP2 in Drosophila triages a metabolic phenotype from lifespan revealing redundancy and compensation among DILPs. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e3721 pubmed publisher..We observed a compensatory increase in dilp3 and 5 mRNA upon dilp2 knock down...
- Okamoto N, Nakamori R, Murai T, Yamauchi Y, Masuda A, Nishimura T. A secreted decoy of InR antagonizes insulin/IGF signaling to restrict body growth in Drosophila. Genes Dev. 2013;27:87-97 pubmed publisher..We propose that Drosophila uses a secreted decoy to fine-tune systemic growth against fluctuations of circulating insulin levels. ..
- Hwangbo D, Gershman B, Gersham B, Tu M, Palmer M, Tatar M. Drosophila dFOXO controls lifespan and regulates insulin signalling in brain and fat body. Nature. 2004;429:562-6 pubmed..We further show that this limited activation of dFOXO reduces expression of the Drosophila insulin-like peptide dilp-2 synthesized in neurons, and represses endogenous insulin-dependent signalling in peripheral fat body...
- Flatt T, Min K, D Alterio C, Villa Cuesta E, Cumbers J, Lehmann R, et al. Drosophila germ-line modulation of insulin signaling and lifespan. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:6368-73 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that signals from the gonad regulate lifespan and modulate insulin sensitivity in the fly and that the gonadal regulation of aging is evolutionarily conserved. ..
- Erion R, DiAngelo J, Crocker A, Sehgal A. Interaction between sleep and metabolism in Drosophila with altered octopamine signaling. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:32406-14 pubmed
- Varghese J, Lim S, Cohen S. Drosophila miR-14 regulates insulin production and metabolism through its target, sugarbabe. Genes Dev. 2010;24:2748-53 pubmed publisher..Regulation of sugarbabe levels by nutrients and by miR-14 combines to allow the fly to manage resource mobilization in a nutritionally variable environment. ..
- Brogiolo W, Stocker H, Ikeya T, Rintelen F, Fernandez R, Hafen E. An evolutionarily conserved function of the Drosophila insulin receptor and insulin-like peptides in growth control. Curr Biol. 2001;11:213-21 pubmed..This study shows that the Drosophila insulin receptor autonomously controls cell and organ size, and that overexpression of a gene encoding an insulin-like peptide is sufficient to increase body size. ..
- Birse R, Söderberg J, Luo J, Winther A, Nassel D. Regulation of insulin-producing cells in the adult Drosophila brain via the tachykinin peptide receptor DTKR. J Exp Biol. 2011;214:4201-8 pubmed publisher..Dilp2 and Dilp3, but not Dilp5, transcripts were significantly affected by DTKR knockdown in IPCs, both in fed and starved flies...
- Mattaliano M, Montana E, Parisky K, Littleton J, Griffith L. The Drosophila ARC homolog regulates behavioral responses to starvation. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2007;36:211-21 pubmed..This suggests that there are multiple modes of communication between the pars and the ring gland that control starvation-induced behavioral responses. ..
- Xu K, Zheng X, Sehgal A. Regulation of feeding and metabolism by neuronal and peripheral clocks in Drosophila. Cell Metab. 2008;8:289-300 pubmed publisher..We propose that the input of neuronal clocks and clocks in metabolic tissues is coordinated to provide effective energy homeostasis...
- O Brien L, Soliman S, Li X, Bilder D. Altered modes of stem cell division drive adaptive intestinal growth. Cell. 2011;147:603-14 pubmed publisher..Thus, tissue renewal programs are not committed to maintain cellular equilibrium; stem cells can remodel organs in response to physiological triggers. ..
- Fridell Y, Hoh M, Kréneisz O, Hosier S, Chang C, Scantling D, et al. Increased uncoupling protein (UCP) activity in Drosophila insulin-producing neurons attenuates insulin signaling and extends lifespan. Aging (Albany NY). 2009;1:699-713 pubmed..In summary, we have demonstrated a role for UCP in adult Drosophila IPCs in influencing systemic insulin signaling and longevity by a mechanism that may involve K(ATP) channels...
- Wu Q, Zhang Y, Xu J, Shen P. Regulation of hunger-driven behaviors by neural ribosomal S6 kinase in Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:13289-94 pubmed..g., a less accessible solid food). Moreover, up-regulation of Drosophila p70/S6 kinase activity in DILP neurons led to attenuated hunger response by fasted larvae, whereas its down-regulation triggered fed larvae to ..
- Alic N, Hoddinott M, Vinti G, Partridge L. Lifespan extension by increased expression of the Drosophila homologue of the IGFBP7 tumour suppressor. Aging Cell. 2011;10:137-47 pubmed publisher..Increased Imp-L2 results in up-regulation of dilp2, dilp3 and dilp5 mRNA, revealing a feedback circuit that is mediated via the fly gut and/or fat body...
- Ikeya T, Galic M, Belawat P, Nairz K, Hafen E. Nutrient-dependent expression of insulin-like peptides from neuroendocrine cells in the CNS contributes to growth regulation in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2002;12:1293-300 pubmed..We show that in addition to the Drosophila insulin-like peptide 2 (dilp2) gene, overexpression of dilp1 and dilp3-7 is sufficient to promote growth...
- Flatt T, Tu M, Tatar M. Hormonal pleiotropy and the juvenile hormone regulation of Drosophila development and life history. Bioessays. 2005;27:999-1010 pubmed..In particular, we illustrate the role of JH as a key mediator of life history trade-offs. ..
- Lee K, Kwon O, Lee J, Kwon K, Min K, Jung S, et al. Drosophila short neuropeptide F signalling regulates growth by ERK-mediated insulin signalling. Nat Cell Biol. 2008;10:468-75 pubmed publisher..Drosophila sNPF and the evolutionarily conserved mammalian NPY seem to regulate ERK-mediated insulin expression and thus to systemically modulate growth, metabolism and lifespan. ..
- Buch S, Melcher C, Bauer M, Katzenberger J, Pankratz M. Opposing effects of dietary protein and sugar regulate a transcriptional target of Drosophila insulin-like peptide signaling. Cell Metab. 2008;7:321-32 pubmed publisher..tobi is thus a target of the insulin- and glucagon-like signaling system that responds oppositely to dietary protein and sugar. ..
- Ostojic I, Boll W, Waterson M, Chan T, Chandra R, Pletcher S, et al. Positive and negative gustatory inputs affect Drosophila lifespan partly in parallel to dFOXO signaling. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:8143-8 pubmed publisher..Together our data suggest that different gustatory cues can modulate the activities of distinct signaling pathways, including different insulin-like peptides, to promote physiological changes that ultimately affect lifespan. ..
- Wesolowska N, Rong Y. Long-range targeted manipulation of the Drosophila genome by site-specific integration and recombinational resolution. Genetics. 2013;193:411-9 pubmed publisher..Excitingly, all of the components involved are likely functional in other eukaryotes, making our scheme for long-range targeted manipulation readily applicable to other systems. ..
- Clements J, Hens K, Francis C, Schellens A, Callaerts P. Conserved role for the Drosophila Pax6 homolog Eyeless in differentiation and function of insulin-producing neurons. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:16183-8 pubmed publisher..We propose that Eyeless has an evolutionarily conserved role in IPCs with remarkable similarities to the role of vertebrate Pax6 in beta cells of the pancreas. ..
- Okamoto N, Nishimura T. Signaling from Glia and Cholinergic Neurons Controls Nutrient-Dependent Production of an Insulin-like Peptide for Drosophila Body Growth. Dev Cell. 2015;35:295-310 pubmed publisherThe insulin-like peptide (ILP) family plays key biological roles in the control of body growth...
- Shin S, Kim S, You H, Kim B, Kim A, Lee K, et al. Drosophila microbiome modulates host developmental and metabolic homeostasis via insulin signaling. Science. 2011;334:670-4 pubmed publisher..Importantly, these defects were reversed by enhancing host IIS or by supplementing the diet with acetic acid, the metabolic product of PQQ-ADH...
- Luo J, Lushchak O, Goergen P, Williams M, Nassel D. Drosophila insulin-producing cells are differentially modulated by serotonin and octopamine receptors and affect social behavior. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e99732 pubmed publisher..Knockdown of OAMB by targeted RNAi led to elevated Dilp3 transcript levels in the brain, whereas 5-HT1A knockdown resulted in increases of Dilp2 and 5...
- Marella S, Mann K, Scott K. Dopaminergic modulation of sucrose acceptance behavior in Drosophila. Neuron. 2012;73:941-50 pubmed publisher..These studies demonstrate the marked specificity of dopamine signaling and provide a foundation to examine neural mechanisms of feeding modulation in the fly. ..
- Kux K, Pitsouli C. Tissue communication in regenerative inflammatory signaling: lessons from the fly gut. Front Cell Infect Microbiol. 2014;4:49 pubmed publisher..Here we review tissue communication during homeostasis and regenerative inflammatory signaling in Drosophila focusing on the signals that emanate from non-intestinal epithelial tissues to ensure intestinal integrity. ..
- Kawasaki K, Yamada S, Ogata K, Saito Y, Takahama A, Yamada T, et al. Use of Drosophila as an evaluation method reveals imp as a candidate gene for type 2 diabetes in rat locus Niddm22. J Diabetes Res. 2015;2015:758564 pubmed publisher..In the mutant, the expression of two of the insulin-like peptides encoded in the fly genome, dilp2 and dilp3, were found to be downregulated...
- Kent C, Daskalchuk T, Cook L, Sokolowski M, Greenspan R. The Drosophila foraging gene mediates adult plasticity and gene-environment interactions in behaviour, metabolites, and gene expression in response to food deprivation. PLoS Genet. 2009;5:e1000609 pubmed publisher..Our results show that a single gene that varies in nature can have far reaching effects on behavior and metabolism by acting through multiple other genes and pathways. ..
- Schriner S, Kuramada S, Lopez T, Truong S, Pham A, Jafari M. Extension of Drosophila lifespan by cinnamon through a sex-specific dependence on the insulin receptor substrate chico. Exp Gerontol. 2014;60:220-30 pubmed publisher..We conclude that cinnamon does not extend lifespan by improving stress tolerance in general, though it does act, at least in part, through insulin signaling. ..
- Shingleton A. Body-size regulation: combining genetics and physiology. Curr Biol. 2005;15:R825-7 pubmed..New research has revealed that the activity of the insulin-signaling pathway in the prothoracic gland of Drosophila modulates ecdysone release and thereby influences both the duration and rate of larval growth. ..
- Humphrey D, Toivonen J, Giannakou M, Partridge L, Brand M. Expression of human uncoupling protein-3 in Drosophila insulin-producing cells increases insulin-like peptide (DILP) levels and shortens lifespan. Exp Gerontol. 2009;44:316-27 pubmed..Expression of hUCP3 in the mNSC did not alter expression of dilp2, dilp3 or dilp5 mRNA, but led to increased amounts of DILP2 in fly heads...
- Papatheodorou I, Ziehm M, Wieser D, Alic N, Partridge L, Thornton J. Using answer set programming to integrate RNA expression with signalling pathway information to infer how mutations affect ageing. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e50881 pubmed publisher..Our methods are available in the web-service NetEffects: http://www.ebi.ac.uk/thornton-srv/software/NetEffects. ..
- Emran S, Yang M, He X, Zandveld J, Piper M. Target of rapamycin signalling mediates the lifespan-extending effects of dietary restriction by essential amino acid alteration. Aging (Albany NY). 2014;6:390-8 pubmed..These data indicate that lowered dietary amino acids promote longevity via TOR, not by enhanced resistance to molecular damage, but through modified physiological conditions that favour fat accumulation. ..
- Kwak S, Hong S, Bajracharya R, Yang S, Lee K, Yu K. Drosophila adiponectin receptor in insulin producing cells regulates glucose and lipid metabolism by controlling insulin secretion. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e68641 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrates a new adipokine signaling in Drosophila and provides insights for the mammalian adiponectin receptor function in pancreatic beta cells, which could be useful for therapeutic application. ..
- Kim J, Neufeld T. Dietary sugar promotes systemic TOR activation in Drosophila through AKH-dependent selective secretion of Dilp3. Nat Commun. 2015;6:6846 pubmed publisher..the secretion of Drosophila insulin-like peptide 2 (Dilp2), circulating sugars promote the selective release of Dilp3. Dilp3 is uniquely required for the sugar-mediated activation of TOR signalling and suppression of autophagy in ..
- Sheldon A, Zhang J, Fei H, Levitan I. SLOB, a SLOWPOKE channel binding protein, regulates insulin pathway signaling and metabolism in Drosophila. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e23343 pubmed publisher..In addition, slob null flies have decreased levels of dilp3 and increased levels of takeout, a gene known to be involved in feeding and metabolism...
- Wiemerslage L, Gohel P, Maestri G, Hilmarsson T, Mickael M, Fredriksson R, et al. The Drosophila ortholog of TMEM18 regulates insulin and glucagon-like signaling. J Endocrinol. 2016;229:233-43 pubmed publisher..This work is the first to experimentally describe the metabolic consequences of TMEM18 knockdown, and further supports its association with obesity. ..
- Wang B, Goode J, Best J, Meltzer J, Schilman P, Chen J, et al. The insulin-regulated CREB coactivator TORC promotes stress resistance in Drosophila. Cell Metab. 2008;7:434-44 pubmed publisher..As disruption of insulin signaling also augmented TORC activity in adult flies, our results illustrate the importance of an insulin-regulated pathway that functions in the brain to maintain energy balance. ..
- Song W, Ren D, Li W, Jiang L, Cho K, Huang P, et al. SH2B regulation of growth, metabolism, and longevity in both insects and mammals. Cell Metab. 2010;11:427-37 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that dSH2B regulation of insulin-like signaling, growth, and metabolism is conserved in SH2B1, whereas dSH2B regulation of oxidative stress and longevity may be conserved in other SH2B family members. ..
- Gündner A, Hahn I, Sendscheid O, Aberle H, Hoch M. The PIKE homolog Centaurin gamma regulates developmental timing in Drosophila. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e97332 pubmed publisher..Together, we propose a novel role for Drosophila Ceng1A in regulating ecdysone signaling-dependent second to third instar larval transition. ..
- Schiesari L, Andreatta G, Kyriacou C, O Connor M, Costa R. The Insulin-Like Proteins dILPs-2/5 Determine Diapause Inducibility in Drosophila. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0163680 pubmed publisher..Recent work in D. melanogaster has implicated the developmental hormones dILPs-2 and/or dILP3, and dILP5, homologues of vertebrate insulin/insulin-like growth factors (IGFs), in reproductive arrest...
- Cagin U, Duncan O, Gatt A, Dionne M, Sweeney S, Bateman J. Mitochondrial retrograde signaling regulates neuronal function. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015;112:E6000-9 pubmed publisher..Thus, mitochondrial retrograde signaling regulates neuronal activity and can be manipulated to enhance neuronal function, despite mitochondrial impairment. ..
- Yamamoto R, Bai H, Dolezal A, Amdam G, Tatar M. Juvenile hormone regulation of Drosophila aging. BMC Biol. 2013;11:85 pubmed publisher..We identify transcripts that change in response to juvenile hormone independent of reproductive state and suggest these represent somatically expressed genes that could modulate how juvenile hormone controls persistence and longevity. ..
- Wang L, McLeod C, Jones D. Regulation of adult stem cell behavior by nutrient signaling. Cell Cycle. 2011;10:2628-34 pubmed..Here we discuss our data regarding the effects and mechanisms by which changes in systemic nutritional conditions may influence the maintenance and activity of adult stem cells via insulin signaling. ..
- Liu Y, Liao S, Veenstra J, NÃ¤ssel D. Drosophila insulin-like peptide 1 (DILP1) is transiently expressed during non-feeding stages and reproductive dormancy. Sci Rep. 2016;6:26620 pubmed publisher..Thus, DILP1 is expressed in non-feeding stages and in diapausing flies, is under feedback regulation and appears to play sex-specific functional roles. ..
- Post S, Tatar M. Nutritional Geometric Profiles of Insulin/IGF Expression in Drosophila melanogaster. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0155628 pubmed publisher..To understand how dietary protein and sugar affect dilp expression, we followed the analytical concepts of the Nutritional Geometric Framework, feeding Drosophila adults ..
- Lushchak O, Carlsson M, NÃ¤ssel D. Food odors trigger an endocrine response that affects food ingestion and metabolism. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2015;72:3143-55 pubmed publisher..Thus, we show that food odor can induce a transient anticipatory endocrine response, and that boosted sensitivity to this odor affects food intake, as well as metabolism and hormonal signaling. ..
- Pool A, Scott K. Feeding regulation in Drosophila. Curr Opin Neurobiol. 2014;29:57-63 pubmed publisher..These neuromodulators in turn promote or inhibit discrete feeding behavioral subprograms. This review highlights the links between physiological needs, neuromodulatory states, and feeding decisions. ..
- Vallejo D, Juarez CarreÃ±o S, Bolivar J, Morante J, Dominguez M. A brain circuit that synchronizes growth and maturation revealed through Dilp8 binding to Lgr3. Science. 2015;350:aac6767 pubmed publisher..This previously unrecognized circuit suggests how growth and maturation rate are matched and co-regulated according to Dilp8 signals to stabilize organismal size. ..
- Wang P, Neretti N, Whitaker R, Hosier S, Chang C, Lu D, et al. Long-lived Indy and calorie restriction interact to extend life span. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:9262-7 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Indy and CR interact to affect longevity and that a decrease in Indy may induce a CR-like status that confers life span extension. ..
- Kubrak O, KuÄerovÃ¡ L, Theopold U, NÃ¤ssel D. The sleeping beauty: how reproductive diapause affects hormone signaling, metabolism, immune response and somatic maintenance in Drosophila melanogaster. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e113051 pubmed publisher..Our study provides a first comprehensive characterization of reproductive diapause in D. melanogaster, and evidence that glucagon- and insulin-like signaling are among the key regulators of the altered physiology during this dormancy. ..
- Wigby S, Slack C, Gronke S, Martinez P, Calboli F, Chapman T, et al. Insulin signalling regulates remating in female Drosophila. Proc Biol Sci. 2011;278:424-31 pubmed publisher..by ablation of Drosophila insulin-like peptide (DILP)-producing median neurosecretory cells, knockout of dilp2, dilp3 or dilp5 genes, expression of a dominant-negative DILP-receptor (InR) transgene or knockout of Lnk, results in ..
- Thomson T, Schneemann A, Johnson J. Oocyte destruction is activated during viral infection. Genesis. 2012;50:453-65 pubmed publisher..The genetic and signaling requirements for oocyte destruction delineated here represent a novel host-virus interaction with implications for the control of both fly and virus populations. ..
- NÃ¤ssel D, Williams M. Cholecystokinin-Like Peptide (DSK) in Drosophila, Not Only for Satiety Signaling. Front Endocrinol (Lausanne). 2014;5:219 pubmed publisher..Activity in the DSK-producing neurons is regulated by octopamine. We discuss mechanisms behind CCK function in satiety, aggression, and locomotion in some detail and highlight similarities to mammalian CCK signaling. ..
- Miller P, Obrik Uloho O, Phan M, Medrano C, Renier J, Thayer J, et al. The song of the old mother: reproductive senescence in female drosophila. Fly (Austin). 2014;8:127-39 pubmed publisher..Understanding the genetic basis of reproductive senescence clarifies the nature of life-history trade-offs as well as potential ways to augment and/or limit female fertility in a variety of organisms. ..
- Essers P, Tain L, Nespital T, Gonçalves J, Froehlich J, Partridge L. Reduced insulin/insulin-like growth factor signaling decreases translation in Drosophila and mice. Sci Rep. 2016;6:30290 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the mechanisms underlying lowered translation may differ in mice, possibly associated with the complexity of the regulatory processes. ..
- Matsuda H, Yamada T, Yoshida M, Nishimura T. Flies without trehalose. J Biol Chem. 2015;290:1244-55 pubmed publisher..These diet-dependent phenotypes of Tps1 mutants demonstrate the critical role of trehalose during development in Drosophila and reveal how animals adapt to changes in nutrient availability. ..
- Piper M, Blanc E, LeitÃ£o GonÃ§alves R, Yang M, He X, Linford N, et al. A holidic medium for Drosophila melanogaster. Nat Methods. 2014;11:100-5 pubmed publisher..We used this holidic medium to investigate amino acid-specific effects on food-choice behavior and report that folic acid from the microbiota is sufficient for Drosophila development. ..
- Hull Thompson J, Muffat J, Sanchez D, Walker D, Benzer S, Ganfornina M, et al. Control of metabolic homeostasis by stress signaling is mediated by the lipocalin NLaz. PLoS Genet. 2009;5:e1000460 pubmed publisher..The JNK pathway and Lipocalins are structurally and functionally conserved, suggesting that similar interactions represent an evolutionarily conserved system for the control of metabolic homeostasis. ..