Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: hts
Description: hu li tai shao
Alias: 1B1, ADD-87, Add, Add-hts, Add1, Add2, Adducin, CG34197, CG43443, CG9325, Dmel\CG43443, Dmel_CG34197, Dmel_CG9325, EST D, HTS, HTS-R1, HTS-RC, HTS_DROME, Hts, Hts-RC, HtsF, HtsRC, Ovhts, Ovhts-RC, add, add-like, adducin, anon-EST:Posey9, htsRC, l(2)00634, l(2)01103, l(2)k06121, l(2)k14523, hu li tai shao, Adducin-like 56D, Adducin-like-56D, CG43443-PA, CG43443-PC, CG43443-PD, CG43443-PH, CG43443-PI, CG43443-PJ, CG43443-PK, CG43443-PL, CG43443-PM, CG43443-PN, CG43443-PO, CG43443-PP, CG43443-PQ, CG43443-PR, CG43443-PS, Hu Li Tai shao, Hu li-tai shao, Hu-li tai shao, Hu-li tai-shao, Hu-li-tai-shao, adducin, adducin-like, hts-PA, hts-PC, hts-PD, hts-PH, hts-PI, hts-PJ, hts-PK, hts-PL, hts-PM, hts-PN, hts-PO, hts-PP, hts-PQ, hts-PR, hts-PS, hu-li tai shao protein, ovarian hu-li tai shao-ring canal protein
Species: fruit fly
- Verheyen E, Cooley L. Looking at oogenesis. Methods Cell Biol. 1994;44:545-61 pubmed
- Sutherland J, Witke W. Molecular genetic approaches to understanding the actin cytoskeleton. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 1999;11:142-51 pubmed..Yeast, Dictyostelium, Caenorhabditis elegans, Drosophila, and mice have contributed much in recent years to a better understanding of both the numerous functions and modes of regulation of the actin cytoskeleton. ..
- Kirilly D, Wang S, Xie T. Self-maintained escort cells form a germline stem cell differentiation niche. Development. 2011;138:5087-97 pubmed publisher..Here, we propose that ECs form a niche that controls GSC lineage differentiation and is maintained by a non-stem cell mechanism. ..
- Song X, Call G, Kirilly D, Xie T. Notch signaling controls germline stem cell niche formation in the Drosophila ovary. Development. 2007;134:1071-80 pubmed..Our results indicate that Notch signaling is important for formation and maintenance of the GSC niche, and that cap cells help determine niche size and function. ..
- Petrella L, Smith Leiker T, Cooley L. The Ovhts polyprotein is cleaved to produce fusome and ring canal proteins required for Drosophila oogenesis. Development. 2007;134:703-12 pubmed..The hts gene encodes the only Drosophila Adducin, and is a female-sterile mutant that affects both the fusome and ring canals...
- Robinson D, Cooley L. Stable intercellular bridges in development: the cytoskeleton lining the tunnel. Trends Cell Biol. 1996;6:474-9 pubmed
- Huelsmann S, Ylanne J, Brown N. Filopodia-like actin cables position nuclei in association with perinuclear actin in Drosophila nurse cells. Dev Cell. 2013;26:604-15 pubmed publisher..We provide a revised model for how actin structures position nuclei in nurse cells, employing evolutionary conserved machinery. ..
- Cooley L, Theurkauf W. Cytoskeletal functions during Drosophila oogenesis. Science. 1994;266:590-6 pubmed..Genetic, molecular, and cytological studies have shed light on the specific functions of the cytoskeleton during oogenesis. The results of these studies are reviewed here, and their mechanistic implications are considered. ..
- König A, Yatsenko A, WEISS M, Shcherbata H. Ecdysteroids affect Drosophila ovarian stem cell niche formation and early germline differentiation. EMBO J. 2011;30:1549-62 pubmed publisher..Additionally, when ecdysone signalling is perturbed during the process of somatic stem cell niche establishment enlarged functional niches able to host additional stem cells are formed. ..
- Murphy A, Montell D. Cell type-specific roles for Cdc42, Rac, and RhoL in Drosophila oogenesis. J Cell Biol. 1996;133:617-30 pubmed..All three activities were necessary for normal transfer of nurse cell cytoplasm to the oocyte. These results suggest that Rho protein activities have cell type-specific effects on morphogenesis. ..
- Yang L, Chen D, Duan R, Xia L, Wang J, Qurashi A, et al. Argonaute 1 regulates the fate of germline stem cells in Drosophila. Development. 2007;134:4265-72 pubmed..Given that AGO1 serves as a key component of the miRNA pathway, we propose that an AGO1-dependent miRNA pathway probably plays an instructive role in repressing GSC/cystoblast differentiation. ..
- Sokol N, Cooley L. Drosophila filamin encoded by the cheerio locus is a component of ovarian ring canals. Curr Biol. 1999;9:1221-30 pubmed..actin that attaches to the ring-canal plasma membrane contains cytoskeletal proteins encoded by the hu-li-tao shao (hts) and kelch genes, and is regulated by the Src64 and Tec29 tyrosine kinases...
- Deng W, Lin H. Spectrosomes and fusomes anchor mitotic spindles during asymmetric germ cell divisions and facilitate the formation of a polarized microtubule array for oocyte specification in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 1997;189:79-94 pubmedIn the Drosophila ovary, membrane skeletal proteins such as the adducin-like Hts protein(s), spectrin, and ankyrin are found in the spectrosome, an organelle in germline stem cells (GSC) and their differentiated daughter cells (..
- Li Y, Minor N, Park J, McKearin D, Maines J. Bam and Bgcn antagonize Nanos-dependent germ-line stem cell maintenance. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:9304-9 pubmed publisher..These findings emphasize the importance of translational repression in balancing stem cell self-renewal and differentiation. ..
- Robinson D, Cooley L. Drosophila kelch is an oligomeric ring canal actin organizer. J Cell Biol. 1997;138:799-810 pubmed..The kelch repeat domain is necessary and sufficient for ring canal localization and likely mediates an additional interaction, possibly with actin. ..
- Dodson G, Guarnieri D, Simon M. Src64 is required for ovarian ring canal morphogenesis during Drosophila oogenesis. Development. 1998;125:2883-92 pubmed..However, Src64 ring canals are reduced in size and frequently degenerate. These results indicate that Src64 is required for the proper growth and stability of the ovarian ring canals. ..
- Zhu C, Xie T. Clonal expansion of ovarian germline stem cells during niche formation in Drosophila. Development. 2003;130:2579-88 pubmed..This study also suggests that signals from newly formed niche cells are important for expanding stem cells and populating niches. ..
- Robinson D, Cooley L. Genetic analysis of the actin cytoskeleton in the Drosophila ovary. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol. 1997;13:147-70 pubmed..We discuss many of the recent genetic and cell biological studies that have led to insights into how the actin cytoskeleton is assembled and regulated during the morphogenesis of the Drosophila egg. ..
- Cooley L. Drosophila ring canal growth requires Src and Tec kinases. Cell. 1998;93:913-5 pubmed
- Chen D, McKearin D. Dpp signaling silences bam transcription directly to establish asymmetric divisions of germline stem cells. Curr Biol. 2003;13:1786-91 pubmed..These studies provide a simple mechanistic explanation for how stromal cell signals regulate both the self-renewal and asymmetric fates of the products of stem cell division. ..
- Röper K, Brown N. A spectraplakin is enriched on the fusome and organizes microtubules during oocyte specification in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2004;14:99-110 pubmed..Shot associates with the fusome and is required for microtubule organization. We suggest that it does this directly, via its microtubule binding GAS2 domain. ..
- Hudson A, Cooley L. Drosophila Kelch functions with Cullin-3 to organize the ring canal actin cytoskeleton. J Cell Biol. 2010;188:29-37 pubmed publisher..These results suggest a role for protein ubiquitylation in the remodeling of a complex F-actin cytoskeletal structure. ..
- Zaccai M, Lipshitz H. Differential distributions of two adducin-like protein isoforms in the Drosophila ovary and early embryo. Zygote. 1996;4:159-66 pubmedb>Adducin is a cytoskeletal protein that can function in vitro to bundle F-actin and to control the assembly of the F-actin/spectrin cytoskeletal network...
- Li M, Serr M, Edwards K, Ludmann S, Yamamoto D, Tilney L, et al. Filamin is required for ring canal assembly and actin organization during Drosophila oogenesis. J Cell Biol. 1999;146:1061-74 pubmed..The genetic and molecular characterization of Drosophila filamin provides the first genetic model system for the analysis of filamin function and regulation during development. ..
- Tan C, Stronach B, Perrimon N. Roles of myosin phosphatase during Drosophila development. Development. 2003;130:671-81 pubmed..Our results indicate that the regulation of the phosphorylation of myosin regulatory light chains, or dynamic activation and inactivation of myosin II, is essential for its various functions during many developmental processes. ..
- Wang S, Yang J, Tsai A, Kuca T, Sanny J, Lee J, et al. Drosophila adducin regulates Dlg phosphorylation and targeting of Dlg to the synapse and epithelial membrane. Dev Biol. 2011;357:392-403 pubmed publisherb>Adducin is a cytoskeletal protein having regulatory roles that involve actin filaments, functions that are inhibited by phosphorylation of adducin by protein kinase C...
- Lin H, Spradling A. A novel group of pumilio mutations affects the asymmetric division of germline stem cells in the Drosophila ovary. Development. 1997;124:2463-76 pubmed..We have also identified a second and novel gene, piwi, whose mutations abolish germline stem cell division. ..
- Xia L, Zheng X, Zheng W, Zhang G, Wang H, Tao Y, et al. The niche-dependent feedback loop generates a BMP activity gradient to determine the germline stem cell fate. Curr Biol. 2012;22:515-21 pubmed publisher..Our mathematic modeling reveals a bistable behavior of the feedback-loop system in controlling the bam transcriptional on/off switch and determining GSC fate. ..
- Yue L, Spradling A. hu-li tai shao, a gene required for ring canal formation during Drosophila oogenesis, encodes a homolog of adducin. Genes Dev. 1992;6:2443-54 pubmed..The hts locus was found to encode a homolog of the mammalian membrane skeletal protein adducin. During oogenesis, hts mRNA became localized at the anterior of the oocyte and was subsequently expressed in a ..
- Cheng J, Turkel N, Hemati N, Fuller M, Hunt A, Yamashita Y. Centrosome misorientation reduces stem cell division during ageing. Nature. 2008;456:599-604 pubmed publisher..We also show that some of the misoriented GSCs probably originate from dedifferentiation of spermatogonia. ..
- Robinson D, Cooley L. Examination of the function of two kelch proteins generated by stop codon suppression. Development. 1997;124:1405-17 pubmed..Finally, these studies suggest that the mechanism of stop codon suppression of kelch is by tRNA suppression. ..
- Morris J, Hong A, Lilly M, Lehmann R. twin, a CCR4 homolog, regulates cyclin poly(A) tail length to permit Drosophila oogenesis. Development. 2005;132:1165-74 pubmed..We propose that Twin/Ccr4 functions during early oogenesis to coordinate cyst division, oocyte fate specification and egg chamber maturation. ..
- Roulier E, Panzer S, Beckendorf S. The Tec29 tyrosine kinase is required during Drosophila embryogenesis and interacts with Src64 in ring canal development. Mol Cell. 1998;1:819-29 pubmed..This interaction is similar to that between vertebrate Src and Tec kinases and suggests that Tec29 is an effector of Src64 that modifies ring canal components required for growth. ..
- López Onieva L, Fernández Miñán A, González Reyes A. Jak/Stat signalling in niche support cells regulates dpp transcription to control germline stem cell maintenance in the Drosophila ovary. Development. 2008;135:533-40 pubmed publisher..Our results provide strong evidence for a model in which Jak/Stat signalling in somatic support cells regulates dpp transcription to define niche size and to maintain the adjacent germline stem cells in an undifferentiated state. ..
- Lin H, Yue L, Spradling A. The Drosophila fusome, a germline-specific organelle, contains membrane skeletal proteins and functions in cyst formation. Development. 1994;120:947-56 pubmed..We identified the adducin-like hts product and alpha-spectrin as molecular components of fusomes, discovered a related structure in ..
- Sheng X, Posenau T, Gumulak Smith J, Matunis E, Van Doren M, Wawersik M. Jak-STAT regulation of male germline stem cell establishment during Drosophila embryogenesis. Dev Biol. 2009;334:335-44 pubmed publisher..These findings show that stem cell formation is closely linked to development of the stem cell niche, and suggest that Jak-STAT signaling is required for initial establishment of the GSC population in developing testes. ..
- Rodesch C, Pettus J, Nagoshi R. The Drosophila ovarian tumor gene is required for the organization of actin filaments during multiple stages in oogenesis. Dev Biol. 1997;190:153-64 pubmed
- Zaccai M, Lipshitz H. Role of Adducin-like (hu-li tai shao) mRNA and protein localization in regulating cytoskeletal structure and function during Drosophila Oogenesis and early embryogenesis. Dev Genet. 1996;19:249-57 pubmedb>Adducin is a cytoskeletal protein that can function in vitro to bundle F-actin and to control the assembly of the F-actin/spectrin cytoskeletal network...
- Ohler S, Hakeda Suzuki S, Suzuki T. Hts, the Drosophila homologue of Adducin, physically interacts with the transmembrane receptor Golden goal to guide photoreceptor axons. Dev Dyn. 2011;240:135-48 pubmed publisher..Here, we show that Hts, the Drosophila homologue of Adducin, physically interacts with Gogo's cytoplasmic domain via its head-neck domain...
- Li Y, Zhang Q, Carreira Rosario A, Maines J, McKearin D, Buszczak M. Mei-p26 cooperates with Bam, Bgcn and Sxl to promote early germline development in the Drosophila ovary. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e58301 pubmed publisher..Together with recently published studies, these data suggest that Mei-P26 mediates both GSC self-renewal and germline differentiation through distinct modes of translational repression depending on the presence of Bam...
- Staab S, Heller A, Steinmann Zwicky M. Somatic sex-determining signals act on XX germ cells in Drosophila embryos. Development. 1996;122:4065-71 pubmed..However, XX germ cells that develop in masculinized animals also express mgm1. Therefore, somatic sex-determining signals have already acted on XX germ cells in 10-hour-old embryos. ..
- Chao S, Nagoshi R. Induction of apoptosis in the germline and follicle layer of Drosophila egg chambers. Mech Dev. 1999;88:159-72 pubmed..of a network of filamentous actin around the nurse cell nucleus, in close association with a product of the adducin-related hu-li tai shao gene...
- Tootle T, Spradling A. Drosophila Pxt: a cyclooxygenase-like facilitator of follicle maturation. Development. 2008;135:839-47 pubmed publisher..Our experiments suggest that prostaglandins promote Drosophila follicle maturation, in part by modulating the actin cytoskeleton, and establish Drosophila oogenesis as a model for understanding these critical biological regulators. ..
- Chau J, Kulnane L, Salz H. Sex-lethal enables germline stem cell differentiation by down-regulating Nanos protein levels during Drosophila oogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:9465-70 pubmed publisher..These findings connect sexual identity to the stem cell self-renewal/differentiation decision and highlight the importance of posttranscriptional gene regulatory networks in controlling stem cell behavior. ..
- Kai T, Spradling A. Differentiating germ cells can revert into functional stem cells in Drosophila melanogaster ovaries. Nature. 2004;428:564-9 pubmed..More generally, Drosophila cystocytes now provide a system for studying de-differentiation and its potential as a source of functional stem cells. ..
- Casanueva M, Ferguson E. Germline stem cell number in the Drosophila ovary is regulated by redundant mechanisms that control Dpp signaling. Development. 2004;131:1881-90 pubmed
- Ward E, Shcherbata H, Reynolds S, Fischer K, Hatfield S, Ruohola Baker H. Stem cells signal to the niche through the Notch pathway in the Drosophila ovary. Curr Biol. 2006;16:2352-8 pubmed..Demonstration that stem cells can contribute to niche function has far-reaching consequences for stem cell therapies and may provide insight into how cancer can spread throughout an organism via populations of cancer stem cells. ..
- Grabbe C, Zervas C, Hunter T, Brown N, Palmer R. Focal adhesion kinase is not required for integrin function or viability in Drosophila. Development. 2004;131:5795-805 pubmed..Despite this, overexpressed Fak56 is a potent inhibitor of integrins binding to the extracellular matrix, suggesting that Fak56 may play a subtle role in the negative regulation of integrin adhesion. ..
- Lavoie C, Ohlstein B, McKearin D. Localization and function of Bam protein require the benign gonial cell neoplasm gene product. Dev Biol. 1999;212:405-13 pubmed..Together, the results suggest that Bam and Bgcn cooperatively regulate cystoblast differentiation by controlling localization of Bam protein to the fusome. ..
- Rhiner C, Diaz B, Portela M, Poyatos J, Fernández Ruíz I, López Gay J, et al. Persistent competition among stem cells and their daughters in the Drosophila ovary germline niche. Development. 2009;136:995-1006 pubmed publisher..Moreover, competitive interactions among stem cells may be relevant for the successful application of stem cell therapies in humans. ..
- Spradling A, de Cuevas M, Drummond Barbosa D, Keyes L, Lilly M, Pepling M, et al. The Drosophila germarium: stem cells, germ line cysts, and oocytes. Cold Spring Harb Symp Quant Biol. 1997;62:25-34 pubmed
- Zaessinger S, Busseau I, Simonelig M. Oskar allows nanos mRNA translation in Drosophila embryos by preventing its deadenylation by Smaug/CCR4. Development. 2006;133:4573-83 pubmed..This study provides insights into molecular mechanisms of regulated deadenylation by specific proteins and demonstrates its importance in development. ..
- Hatfield S, Shcherbata H, Fischer K, Nakahara K, Carthew R, Ruohola Baker H. Stem cell division is regulated by the microRNA pathway. Nature. 2005;435:974-8 pubmed..Hence, the miRNA pathway might be part of a mechanism that makes stem cells insensitive to environmental signals that normally stop the cell cycle at the G1/S transition. ..
- Song X, Wong M, Kawase E, Xi R, Ding B, McCarthy J, et al. Bmp signals from niche cells directly repress transcription of a differentiation-promoting gene, bag of marbles, in germline stem cells in the Drosophila ovary. Development. 2004;131:1353-64 pubmed..Thus, niche signals directly repress differentiation-promoting genes in stem cells in order to maintain stem cell self-renewal. ..
- Cox D, Chao A, Lin H. piwi encodes a nucleoplasmic factor whose activity modulates the number and division rate of germline stem cells. Development. 2000;127:503-14 pubmed
- Xie T, Spradling A. decapentaplegic is essential for the maintenance and division of germline stem cells in the Drosophila ovary. Cell. 1998;94:251-60 pubmed..We constructed mutant germline stem cell clones to show that the dpp signal is directly received by germline stem cells. Thus, dpp signaling helps define a niche that controls germline stem cell proliferation. ..
- de Cuevas M, Spradling A. Morphogenesis of the Drosophila fusome and its implications for oocyte specification. Development. 1998;125:2781-9 pubmed..Based on these observations, we argue that the oocyte is specified at the first cyst division. ..
- Narbonne K, Besse F, Brissard Zahraoui J, Pret A, Busson D. polyhomeotic is required for somatic cell proliferation and differentiation during ovarian follicle formation in Drosophila. Development. 2004;131:1389-400 pubmed..Our results provide a new model system, the Drosophila ovary, in which the function of Pc-G genes, distinct from that of control of homeotic gene expression, can be explored. ..
- Pielage J, Bulat V, Zuchero J, Fetter R, Davis G. Hts/Adducin controls synaptic elaboration and elimination. Neuron. 2011;69:1114-31 pubmed publisher..Here, we provide evidence Hts/Adducin can serve this function...
- Kawase E, Wong M, Ding B, Xie T. Gbb/Bmp signaling is essential for maintaining germline stem cells and for repressing bam transcription in the Drosophila testis. Development. 2004;131:1365-75 pubmed..dpp signaling is known to be essential for maintaining GSCs in the Drosophila ovary. This study further suggests that both Drosophila male and female GSCs use Bmp signals to maintain GSCs. ..
- Lee J, Brandin E, Branton D, Goldstein L. alpha-Spectrin is required for ovarian follicle monolayer integrity in Drosophila melanogaster. Development. 1997;124:353-62 pubmed..These results suggest that the spectrin-based membrane skeleton is required in a developmental pathway that controls follicle cell monolayer integrity and proliferation. ..
- Minestrini G, Mathe E, Glover D. Domains of the Pavarotti kinesin-like protein that direct its subcellular distribution: effects of mislocalisation on the tubulin and actin cytoskeleton during Drosophila oogenesis. J Cell Sci. 2002;115:725-36 pubmed
- Lee S, Cooley L. Jagunal is required for reorganizing the endoplasmic reticulum during Drosophila oogenesis. J Cell Biol. 2007;176:941-52 pubmed..We propose that ER reorganization is an important mechanism used by cells to prepare for an increased demand for membrane traffic, and Jagunal facilitates this process through ER clustering. ..
- Park J, Liu X, Strauss T, McKearin D, Liu Q. The miRNA pathway intrinsically controls self-renewal of Drosophila germline stem cells. Curr Biol. 2007;17:533-8 pubmed..Our study strongly suggests that miRNAs play an intrinsic, but not extrinsic, role in Drosophila female GSC self-renewal. ..
- Gates J, Nowotarski S, Yin H, Mahaffey J, Bridges T, Herrera C, et al. Enabled and Capping protein play important roles in shaping cell behavior during Drosophila oogenesis. Dev Biol. 2009;333:90-107 pubmed publisher..Together these data reveal places that these actin regulators shape oogenesis. ..
- Sokol N, Cooley L. Drosophila filamin is required for follicle cell motility during oogenesis. Dev Biol. 2003;260:260-72 pubmed..These data show that Filamin function in cell motility can be provided by a truncated Filamin protein that resembles Dictyostelium Actin Binding Protein-120. ..
- McKearin D, Ohlstein B. A role for the Drosophila bag-of-marbles protein in the differentiation of cystoblasts from germline stem cells. Development. 1995;121:2937-47 pubmed..We also show that bam mutant germ cells are blocked in differentiation and are trapped as mitotically active cells like stem cells. A model for how Bam might regulate cystocyte differentiation is presented. ..
- Robinson D, Cant K, Cooley L. Morphogenesis of Drosophila ovarian ring canals. Development. 1994;120:2015-25 pubmed..Two mutations, hu-li tai shao (hts) and kelch, disrupt normal ring canal development...
- Song X, Zhu C, Doan C, Xie T. Germline stem cells anchored by adherens junctions in the Drosophila ovary niches. Science. 2002;296:1855-7 pubmed..Furthermore, DE-cadherin is required for recruiting GSCs to their niche. Our study demonstrates that anchorage of GSCs in their niche by DE-cadherin-mediated adhesion is important for stem cell maintenance and function. ..
- Gilboa L, Lehmann R. Repression of primordial germ cell differentiation parallels germ line stem cell maintenance. Curr Biol. 2004;14:981-6 pubmed..The similarity in the genes necessary for GSC maintenance and the repression of PGC differentiation suggest that PGCs and GSCs may be functionally equivalent and that the larval gonad functions as a "PGC niche". ..
- Inaba M, Yuan H, Salzmann V, Fuller M, Yamashita Y. E-cadherin is required for centrosome and spindle orientation in Drosophila male germline stem cells. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e12473 pubmed publisher..We propose that E-cadherin orchestrates multiple aspects of stem cell behavior, including polarization of stem cells toward the stem cell-niche interface and adhesion of stem cells to the niche supporting cells. ..
- Torres I, Lopez Schier H, St Johnston D. A Notch/Delta-dependent relay mechanism establishes anterior-posterior polarity in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2003;5:547-58 pubmed..The anterior-posterior axis is therefore established by a relay mechanism, which propagates polarity from one cyst to the next. ..
- Hinson S, Nagoshi R. Regulatory and functional interactions between the somatic sex regulatory gene transformer and the germline genes ovo and ovarian tumor. Development. 1999;126:861-71 pubmed
- Robinson D, Smith Leiker T, Sokol N, Hudson A, Cooley L. Formation of the Drosophila ovarian ring canal inner rim depends on cheerio. Genetics. 1997;145:1063-72 pubmed..canal inner rim proteins including filamentous actin, the ring canal-associated products from the hu-li tai shao (hts) gene, and kelch...
- Chau J, Kulnane L, Salz H. Sex-lethal facilitates the transition from germline stem cell to committed daughter cell in the Drosophila ovary. Genetics. 2009;182:121-32 pubmed publisher..Together these data demonstrate a novel role for Sxl in the lineage progression from stem cell to committed daughter cell and suggest a model in which Sxl partners with bam to facilitate this transition. ..
- Telonis Scott M, Kopp A, Wayne M, Nuzhdin S, McIntyre L. Sex-specific splicing in Drosophila: widespread occurrence, tissue specificity and evolutionary conservation. Genetics. 2009;181:421-34 pubmed publisher..females. We found that all six loci are themselves spliced sex specifically in gonads and heads, suggesting that regulatory hierarchies based on alternative splicing may be an important feature of sexual differentiation. ..
- Chen D, McKearin D. Gene circuitry controlling a stem cell niche. Curr Biol. 2005;15:179-84 pubmed..In cystoblasts, accumulating Bam protein antagonizes pumilio, permitting the translation of cystoblast-promoting transcripts. ..
- Forrest S, Chai A, Sanhueza M, Marescotti M, Parry K, Georgiev A, et al. Increased levels of phosphoinositides cause neurodegeneration in a Drosophila model of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Hum Mol Genet. 2013;22:2689-704 pubmed publisher..These data underscore the importance of DVAP-Sac1 interaction in controlling phosphoinositide metabolism and provide mechanistic evidence for a crucial role of phosphoinositide levels in VAP-induced ALS. ..