Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Hn
Alias: CG7399, DTPH, DTPHu, Dmel\CG7399, PAH, Pah, TPH, TRH, Tph, Trh, pah, henna, CG7399-PA, CG7399-PB, CG7399-PC, CG7399-PD, Hn-PA, Hn-PB, Hn-PC, Hn-PD, Phenylalanine-hydroxylase, brunette, phenylalanine hydroxylase, phenylalanine-tryptophan hydroxylase, tryptophan hydrolase
Species: fruit fly
- Barthelmess I, Robertson F. The quantitative relations between variation in red eye pigment and related pteridine compounds in Drosophila melanogaster. Genet Res. 1970;15:65-86 pubmed
- Morales G, Requena J, Jimenez Ruiz A, Lopez M, Ugarte M, Alonso C. Sequence and expression of the Drosophila phenylalanine hydroxylase mRNA. Gene. 1990;93:213-9 pubmedWe report the cloning, nucleotide (nt) sequence and expression of the cDNA (pah) encoding phenylalanine hydroxylase (PAH) of Drosophila melanogaster. The strong hybridization signals observed in genomic blots when D...
- Cuenca J, Galindo M, Saura A, Sorsa V, De Frutos R. Ultrastructure of regions containing homologous loci in polytene chromosomes of Drosophila melanogaster and Drosophila subobscura. Chromosoma. 1998;107:113-26 pubmed..the collagen-like gene, the w26 homeobox gene, the beta3 tubulin gene, the kinesin heavy chain gene, the tryptophan hydrolase gene, the Hsp82, Hsp22-26 and Hsp23-28, Hsp68, Hsp70 genes and the beta unit of the F0-F1 ATPase gene...
- Guillamón J, Ferre J. Identification of 5,6,7,8-tetrahydropterin and 5,6,7,8-tetrahydrobiopterin in Drosophila melanogaster. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1988;152:49-55 pubmed..Compared to the wild type, the Punch2 mutant has diminished levels of both pteridines, whereas Henna-recessive3 lacks completely tetrahydropterin and has increased levels of tetrahydrobiopterin, as expected ..
- Chen C, Wu J, Lin H, Pai T, Fu T, Wu C, et al. Visualizing long-term memory formation in two neurons of the Drosophila brain. Science. 2012;335:678-85 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest an extra-MB memory circuit in Drosophila: LTM consolidation (MB to DAL), storage (DAL), and retrieval (DAL to MB)...
- Zhang Y, Friedman D, Wang Z, Woodruff E, Pan L, O DONNELL J, et al. Protein expression profiling of the drosophila fragile X mutant brain reveals up-regulation of monoamine synthesis. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2005;4:278-90 pubmed..We then focus on two misregulated enzymes, phenylalanine hydroxylase (Henna) and GTP cyclohydrolase (Punch), both of which mediate in concert the synthetic pathways of two ..
- Allada R, White N, So W, Hall J, Rosbash M. A mutant Drosophila homolog of mammalian Clock disrupts circadian rhythms and transcription of period and timeless. Cell. 1998;93:791-804 pubmed..The remarkable sequence conservation strongly supports common clock components present in the common ancestor of Drosophila and mammals. ..
- Bel Y, Wiesner P, Kayser H. Candidate target mechanisms of the growth inhibitor cyromazine: studies of phenylalanine hydroxylase, puparial amino acids, and dihydrofolate reductase in dipteran insects. Arch Insect Biochem Physiol. 2000;45:69-78 pubmed..In the present study, we have analyzed the key enzyme for the production of sclerotization agents, phenylalanine hydroxylase (PAH), using the enzyme from Drosophila, a cyromazine-sensitive insect...
- Curran K, Chalasani S. Serotonin circuits and anxiety: what can invertebrates teach us?. Invert Neurosci. 2012;12:81-92 pubmed publisher..These model systems possess well-defined neuroanatomies and robust serotonin-mediated behavior and should reveal insights into how serotonin can modulate human cognitive functions...
- Silva F, Bel Y, Botella L, Cotton R, Ferre J. Immunological detection of phenylalanine hydroxylase protein in Drosophila melanogaster. Biochem J. 1992;287 ( Pt 1):85-9 pubmedA monoclonal antibody raised against monkey liver phenylalanine hydroxylase (PAH) has been used to detect this protein in Drosophila melanogaster...
- Coleman C, Neckameyer W. Substrate regulation of serotonin and dopamine synthesis in Drosophila. Invert Neurosci. 2004;5:85-96 pubmed..5-HT is synthesized, at least in part, by the actions of Drosophila tryptophan-phenylalanine hydroxylase (DTPH), a dual function enzyme that hydroxylates both phenylalanine and tryptophan...
- Ruiz Vázquez P, Silva F, Ferre J. Characterization of sepiapterin reductase activity from Drosophila melanogaster. Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol. 1996;113:131-6 pubmed..0. A study of the activity in different eye-color mutant strains revealed significantly decreased levels in clot, red Malpighian tubules and garnet. ..
- Ruiz Vázquez P, Moulard M, Silva F. Structure of the phenylalanine hydroxylase gene in Drosophila melanogaster and evidence of alternative promoter usage. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1996;225:238-42 pubmedThe complete Drosophila melanogaster phenylalanine hydroxylase gene isolated from a genomic library was sequenced. Gene structure consisted of five exons covering a region of around 3 kb...
- Van Atta E. Genetic and Cytological Studies on X-Radiation Induced Dominant Eye Colors of Drosophila. Genetics. 1932;17:637-59 pubmed
- Beadle G. Development of Eye Colors in Drosophila: Fat Bodies and Malpighian Tubes in Relation to Diffusible Substances. Genetics. 1937;22:587-611 pubmed
- Neckameyer W, Woodrome S, Holt B, Mayer A. Dopamine and senescence in Drosophila melanogaster. Neurobiol Aging. 2000;21:145-52 pubmed..These results suggest that the deficits seen in dopaminergic-modulated behaviors may arise as a consequence of degenerative changes within the aging brain. ..
- Piedrafita A, Martínez Ramírez A, Silva F. A genetic analysis of aromatic amino acid hydroxylases involvement in DOPA synthesis during Drosophila adult development. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 1994;24:581-8 pubmed..An analysis of the phenylalanine hydroxylase protein presence during the period of the first 3 h post adult ecdysis in thorax plus abdomen extracts ..
- Aparisi M, Najera C. Genetic location and biochemical characterization of eye-colour mutants from natural populations of Drosophila melanogaster. Genome. 1990;33:203-8 pubmed..The eye-colour mutants show large effects on the red and brown pigments. The high variability of the eye-colour loci is discussed in relation to the mutation and selection hypotheses. ..
- Silva F, Escriche B, Ordoño E, Ferre J. Genetic and biochemical characterization of little isoxanthopterin (lix), a gene controlling dihydropterin oxidase activity in Drosophila melanogaster. Mol Gen Genet. 1991;230:97-103 pubmed..Isoxanthopterin was quantitated in strains carrying deficiencies for the region in which lix has been mapped by recombination. This allowed us to assign the lix locus to the 7D10-7F1-2 segment of the X chromosome. ..
- Bel Y, Jacobson K, Ferre J. A comparative study of Drosophila phenylalanine hydroxylase with a natural and a synthetic tetrahydropterin as cofactor. Comp Biochem Physiol B. 1992;103:557-62 pubmed1. Phenylalanine hydroxylase activity has been analyzed in Drosophila melanogaster using as cofactors the natural tetrahydropteridine 5,6,7,8-tetrahydrobiopterin (H4Bip) and the synthetic one 5,6-dimethyl-5,6,7,8-tetrahydropterin (H4Dmp)...
- Huser A, Rohwedder A, Apostolopoulou A, Widmann A, Pfitzenmaier J, Maiolo E, et al. The serotonergic central nervous system of the Drosophila larva: anatomy and behavioral function. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e47518 pubmed publisher..Based on our observations and the availability of a wide variety of genetic tools, this issue can now be addressed. ..
- Coleman C, Neckameyer W. Serotonin synthesis by two distinct enzymes in Drosophila melanogaster. Arch Insect Biochem Physiol. 2005;59:12-31 pubmed..When DTRH uses phenylalanine as a substrate, end product inhibition, increased phenylalanine hydroxylase activity after phosphorylation by cAMP-dependent protein kinase, and a decrease in phenylalanine ..