Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: hep
Alias: CG2190, CG4353, D-MKK7, DHEP/MKK7, DJNKK, DMKK7, Dmel\CG4353, HEP, HEP/MKK7, Hep, Hep/Mkk7, JNKK, MAP2K7, MAPKK, MKK7, Mkk7, dJNKK, dMKK7, hem, hep/JNKK, hrp, l(1)7P1, l(1)G0107, l(1)G0208, hemipterous, CG4353-PA, CG4353-PC, CG4353-PD, CG4353-PE, CG4353-PF, JNK kinase, JNK-Kinase, Mitogen-activated protein kinase kinase 7, hemipterus, hempiterous, hep-PA, hep-PC, hep-PD, hep-PE, hep-PF
Species: fruit fly
- Fanto M, Weber U, Strutt D, Mlodzik M. Nuclear signaling by Rac and Rho GTPases is required in the establishment of epithelial planar polarity in the Drosophila eye. Curr Biol. 2000;10:979-88 pubmed..Rac is specifically required downstream of Dsh in the Fz pathway. It functions upstream or in parallel to RhoA and both signal to the nucleus, through distinct effectors, to establish planar polarity in the Drosophila eye. ..
- Geuking P, Narasimamurthy R, Lemaitre B, Basler K, Leulier F. A non-redundant role for Drosophila Mkk4 and hemipterous/Mkk7 in TAK1-mediated activation of JNK. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e7709 pubmed publisher..host resistance to systemic bacterial infection but plays a non-redundant role as a MAPKK acting in parallel to Hemipterous/Mkk7 in dTAK1-mediated JNK activation upon Eiger and Imd pathway activation...
- Glise B, Bourbon H, Noselli S. hemipterous encodes a novel Drosophila MAP kinase kinase, required for epithelial cell sheet movement. Cell. 1995;83:451-61 pubmed..In the mutant hemipterous (hep), spreading of the epithelia is blocked; in genetically sensitized hep embryos, cell sheet movement can be ..
- Igaki T, Pastor Pareja J, Aonuma H, Miura M, Xu T. Intrinsic tumor suppression and epithelial maintenance by endocytic activation of Eiger/TNF signaling in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2009;16:458-65 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate that TNF signaling and the endocytic machinery could be components of an evolutionarily conserved fail-safe mechanism by which animals protect against neoplastic development. ..
- Baril C, Sahmi M, Ashton Beaucage D, Stronach B, Therrien M. The PP2C Alphabet is a negative regulator of stress-activated protein kinase signaling in Drosophila. Genetics. 2009;181:567-79 pubmed publisher..Epistasis experiments suggest that Alph acts at a step upstream of the MAPKKs Hep and Lic...
- Ma X, Huang J, Yang L, Yang Y, Li W, Xue L. NOPO modulates Egr-induced JNK-independent cell death in Drosophila. Cell Res. 2012;22:425-31 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that the Ben-dUEV1a complex constitutes a molecular switch that bifurcates the Egr-induced cell death signaling into two pathways mediated by JNK and caspases respectively. ..
- Chatterjee N, Bohmann D. A versatile ?C31 based reporter system for measuring AP-1 and Nrf2 signaling in Drosophila and in tissue culture. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e34063 pubmed publisher..To complement the transgenic reporter fly lines, tissue culture assays were developed in which the same synthetic ARE and TRE elements control the expression of firefly luciferase. ..
- Brumby A, Richardson H. scribble mutants cooperate with oncogenic Ras or Notch to cause neoplastic overgrowth in Drosophila. EMBO J. 2003;22:5769-79 pubmed
- Cha G, Cho K, Lee J, Kim M, Kim E, Park J, et al. Discrete functions of TRAF1 and TRAF2 in Drosophila melanogaster mediated by c-Jun N-terminal kinase and NF-kappaB-dependent signaling pathways. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:7982-91 pubmed..imaginal disc and the abnormal eye morphogenesis induced by DTRAF1 are dependent on JNK and its upstream kinases, Hep and DTAK1...
- Srahna M, Leyssen M, Choi C, Fradkin L, Noordermeer J, Hassan B. A signaling network for patterning of neuronal connectivity in the Drosophila brain. PLoS Biol. 2006;4:e348 pubmed..JNK activity is necessary and sufficient for axon extension, whereas the antagonistic Wnt and FGF signals act to balance the extension and retraction required for the generation of the precise wiring pattern. ..
- Etter P, Narayanan R, Navratilova Z, Patel C, Bohmann D, Jasper H, et al. Synaptic and genomic responses to JNK and AP-1 signaling in Drosophila neurons. BMC Neurosci. 2005;6:39 pubmed..While identifying potential JNK/AP-1 targets it reveals the limitations of genome-wide analyses using complex tissues like the whole brain. ..
- Leyssen M, Ayaz D, Hébert S, Reeve S, De Strooper B, Hassan B. Amyloid precursor protein promotes post-developmental neurite arborization in the Drosophila brain. EMBO J. 2005;24:2944-55 pubmed..Finally, we also found interactions between APP and the JNK stress kinase cascade. Our findings suggest a role for APP in axonal outgrowth after traumatic brain injury. ..
- Ryoo H, Gorenc T, Steller H. Apoptotic cells can induce compensatory cell proliferation through the JNK and the Wingless signaling pathways. Dev Cell. 2004;7:491-501 pubmed..These findings support a model where apoptotic cells activate signaling cascades for compensatory proliferation. ..
- Bosch M, Serras F, Martin Blanco E, Baguna J. JNK signaling pathway required for wound healing in regenerating Drosophila wing imaginal discs. Dev Biol. 2005;280:73-86 pubmed..in several rows of cells at the edge of the wound, whereas absence of JNK pathway activity brought about by hemipterous, basket, and Dfos mutants impair wound healing...
- Zettervall C, Anderl I, Williams M, Palmer R, Kurucz E, Ando I, et al. A directed screen for genes involved in Drosophila blood cell activation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:14192-7 pubmed..By contrast, constitutively active hopscotch and hemipterous give massive activation of lamellocyte formation with little or no increase in total hemocyte numbers...
- Sathyanarayana P, Barthwal M, Lane M, Acevedo S, Skoulakis E, Bergmann A, et al. Drosophila mixed lineage kinase/slipper, a missing biochemical link in Drosophila JNK signaling. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2003;1640:77-84 pubmed..Further, dMLK directly phosphorylates Hep, dMKK4 and also their mammalian counterparts, MKK7 and SEK1, in an in vitro kinase assay...
- Biteau B, Hochmuth C, Jasper H. JNK activity in somatic stem cells causes loss of tissue homeostasis in the aging Drosophila gut. Cell Stem Cell. 2008;3:442-55 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that this balance is lost in old animals, increasing the potential for neoplastic transformation. ..
- Stronach B, Perrimon N. Activation of the JNK pathway during dorsal closure in Drosophila requires the mixed lineage kinase, slipper. Genes Dev. 2002;16:377-87 pubmed..Furthermore, our results show that other putative JNKKKs cannot compensate for the loss of slpr function and, thus, may regulate other JNK or MAPK-dependent processes. ..
- Weber U, Paricio N, Mlodzik M. Jun mediates Frizzled-induced R3/R4 cell fate distinction and planar polarity determination in the Drosophila eye. Development. 2000;127:3619-29 pubmed..The observation that Dl transcription in the early R3/R4 precursor cells is deregulated by Jun or Hep/JNKK activation, reminiscent of the effects seen with Fz overexpression, suggests that Jun is one of the transcription ..
- Lee K, Iijima Ando K, Iijima K, Lee W, Lee J, Yu K, et al. JNK/FOXO-mediated neuronal expression of fly homologue of peroxiredoxin II reduces oxidative stress and extends life span. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:29454-61 pubmed publisher..These results support the hypothesis that JNK/FOXO signaling extends life span via amelioration of oxidative damage and mitochondrial dysfunction in neurons. ..
- Han Z, Enslen H, Hu X, Meng X, Wu I, Barrett T, et al. A conserved p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase pathway regulates Drosophila immunity gene expression. Mol Cell Biol. 1998;18:3527-39 pubmed..The results revealed that one of the functions of D-p38 is to attenuate antimicrobial peptide gene expression following exposure to lipopolysaccharide. ..
- Horiuchi D, Collins C, Bhat P, Barkus R, DiAntonio A, Saxton W. Control of a kinesin-cargo linkage mechanism by JNK pathway kinases. Curr Biol. 2007;17:1313-7 pubmed..The JNK pathway includes a MAPKKK (Wallenda/DLK), a MAPKK (Hemipterous/MKK7), and the Drosophila JNK homolog Basket...
- Polaski S, Whitney L, Barker B, Stronach B. Genetic analysis of slipper/mixed lineage kinase reveals requirements in multiple Jun-N-terminal kinase-dependent morphogenetic events during Drosophila development. Genetics. 2006;174:719-33 pubmed..display an array of morphological defects, many of which are shared by hep mutant animals, deficient in the JNK kinase (JNKK/MKK7) substrate for SLPR, suggesting that the defects observed in slpr mutants primarily reflect loss of ..
- Uhlirova M, Bohmann D. JNK- and Fos-regulated Mmp1 expression cooperates with Ras to induce invasive tumors in Drosophila. EMBO J. 2006;25:5294-304 pubmed
- Srivastava A, Pastor Pareja J, Igaki T, Pagliarini R, Xu T. Basement membrane remodeling is essential for Drosophila disc eversion and tumor invasion. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:2721-6 pubmed..Finally, although past efforts using MMP inhibitors have not yielded much success, our results strongly argue that BM modulation could be a critical target for cancer therapy. ..
- Wu H, Wang M, Bohmann D. JNK protects Drosophila from oxidative stress by trancriptionally activating autophagy. Mech Dev. 2009;126:624-37 pubmed publisher..Autophagy thus emerges as a multifunctional process that organisms employ in a variety of different situations using separate regulatory mechanisms. ..
- Hipfner D, Cohen S. The Drosophila sterile-20 kinase slik controls cell proliferation and apoptosis during imaginal disc development. PLoS Biol. 2003;1:E35 pubmed..We suggest that Slik mediates growth and survival cues to promote cell proliferation and control cell survival during Drosophila development. ..
- Jiang H, Patel P, Kohlmaier A, Grenley M, McEwen D, Edgar B. Cytokine/Jak/Stat signaling mediates regeneration and homeostasis in the Drosophila midgut. Cell. 2009;137:1343-55 pubmed publisher..Hence, cytokine-mediated feedback enables stem cells to replace spent progeny as they are lost, thereby establishing gut homeostasis. ..
- Chen H, Marinissen M, Oh S, Chen X, Melnick M, Perrimon N, et al. CKA, a novel multidomain protein, regulates the JUN N-terminal kinase signal transduction pathway in Drosophila. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:1792-803 pubmed..We have also investigated how CKA acts. This unique molecule forms a complex with HEP (DJNKK), BSK (DJNK), DJUN, and DFOS...
- Bergantiños C, Corominas M, Serras F. Cell death-induced regeneration in wing imaginal discs requires JNK signalling. Development. 2010;137:1169-79 pubmed publisher..During cell death-induced regeneration, the JNK pathway is activated at the leading edges of healing tissue and not in the apoptotic cells, and is required for the regulation of healing and regenerative growth. ..
- Etchegaray J, Timmons A, Klein A, Pritchett T, Welch E, Meehan T, et al. Draper acts through the JNK pathway to control synchronous engulfment of dying germline cells by follicular epithelial cells. Development. 2012;139:4029-39 pubmed publisher..The induction of JNK and Draper in follicle cells occurs independently of caspase activity in the germline, indicating that at least two pathways are necessary to coordinate germline cell death with engulfment by the somatic epithelium. ..
- Neisch A, Speck O, Stronach B, Fehon R. Rho1 regulates apoptosis via activation of the JNK signaling pathway at the plasma membrane. J Cell Biol. 2010;189:311-23 pubmed publisher..Together, these results suggest that Rho1 functions at the cell cortex to regulate JNK activity and implicate Rho1 and Moe in epithelial cell survival. ..
- Sluss H, Han Z, Barrett T, Goberdhan D, Wilson C, Davis R, et al. A JNK signal transduction pathway that mediates morphogenesis and an immune response in Drosophila. Genes Dev. 1996;10:2745-58 pubmed..DJNK is phosphorylated and activated by the Drosophila MAP kinase kinase HEP. Substrates of DJNK include the transcription factor DJun. DJNK participates in multiple physiological processes...
- Sekine Y, Takagahara S, Hatanaka R, Watanabe T, Oguchi H, Noguchi T, et al. p38 MAPKs regulate the expression of genes in the dopamine synthesis pathway through phosphorylation of NR4A nuclear receptors. J Cell Sci. 2011;124:3006-16 pubmed publisher..Thus, p38-regulated gene induction through NR4As appears to function in the dopamine synthesis pathway and may be involved in immune and stress responses. ..
- Lee J, Koh H, Kim M, Park J, Lee S, Lee S, et al. JNK pathway mediates apoptotic cell death induced by tumor suppressor LKB1 in Drosophila. Cell Death Differ. 2006;13:1110-22 pubmed..Collectively, our studies unprecedentedly elucidate JNK as the downstream mediator of the LKB1-dependent apoptosis, and provide a new paradigm for understanding the diverse LKB1 functions in vivo. ..
- Wang M, Bohmann D, Jasper H. JNK signaling confers tolerance to oxidative stress and extends lifespan in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2003;5:811-6 pubmed..Our work thus identifies the evolutionarily conserved JNK signaling pathway as a major genetic factor in the control of longevity. ..
- Xue L, Igaki T, Kuranaga E, Kanda H, Miura M, Xu T. Tumor suppressor CYLD regulates JNK-induced cell death in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2007;13:446-54 pubmed..JNK activation and cell death through dTRAF2, which acts downstream of the TNF receptor Wengen and upstream of the JNKK kinase dTAK1...
- Homsy J, Jasper H, Peralta X, Wu H, Kiehart D, Bohmann D. JNK signaling coordinates integrin and actin functions during Drosophila embryogenesis. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:427-34 pubmed..Here, we show that zipping is mediated by regulation of the integrins myospheroid and scab. Our data demonstrate that JNK signaling regulates a set of target genes that cooperate to facilitate epithelial movement and closure. ..
- Wu M, Pastor Pareja J, Xu T. Interaction between Ras(V12) and scribbled clones induces tumour growth and invasion. Nature. 2010;463:545-8 pubmed publisher..Given the conservation of the pathways examined here, similar cooperative mechanisms could have a role in the development of human cancers. ..
- Geuking P, Narasimamurthy R, Basler K. A genetic screen targeting the tumor necrosis factor/Eiger signaling pathway: identification of Drosophila TAB2 as a functionally conserved component. Genetics. 2005;171:1683-94 pubmed..Thus, in contrast to morphogenetic processes, such as dorsal closure of the embryo, in which the JNK pathway is activated by the JNKKK Slipper, Eiger uses the dTAB2-dTAK1 module to induce JNK signaling activity. ..
- Delaney J, Stoven S, Uvell H, Anderson K, Engstrom Y, Mlodzik M. Cooperative control of Drosophila immune responses by the JNK and NF-kappaB signaling pathways. EMBO J. 2006;25:3068-77 pubmed..mutant animals, and that the immune response in these mutant animals was rescued by overexpression of a downstream JNKK. The expression of a JNK inhibitor and induction of JNK loss-of-function clones in immune responsive tissue ..
- Ryabinina O, Subbian E, Iordanov M. D-MEKK1, the Drosophila orthologue of mammalian MEKK4/MTK1, and Hemipterous/D-MKK7 mediate the activation of D-JNK by cadmium and arsenite in Schneider cells. BMC Cell Biol. 2006;7:7 pubmed..D-MEKK1, the fly orthologue of mammalian MEKK4/MTK1, and Hemipterous/D-MKK7 mediates the activation of D-JNK by cadmium and arsenite.
- Martin Blanco E. Regulation of cell differentiation by the Drosophila Jun kinase cascade. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 1997;7:666-71 pubmed
- Rallis A, Moore C, Ng J. Signal strength and signal duration define two distinct aspects of JNK-regulated axon stability. Dev Biol. 2010;339:65-77 pubmed publisher..However, with a partial loss of Basket (Bsk), or of one of the upstream JNK kinases, Hemipterous or Mkk4, these axons overextend...
- Woolner S, Jacinto A, Martin P. The small GTPase Rac plays multiple roles in epithelial sheet fusion--dynamic studies of Drosophila dorsal closure. Dev Biol. 2005;282:163-73 pubmed
- Tateno M, Nishida Y, Adachi Yamada T. Regulation of JNK by Src during Drosophila development. Science. 2000;287:324-7 pubmed..Thus, activation of the Bsk pathway is required downstream of Src42A in epidermal closure. This work confirms mammalian studies that demonstrated a physiological link between Src and JNK. ..
- Pérez Garijo A, Shlevkov E, Morata G. The role of Dpp and Wg in compensatory proliferation and in the formation of hyperplastic overgrowths caused by apoptotic cells in the Drosophila wing disc. Development. 2009;136:1169-77 pubmed publisher..In compartments containing undead cells, the adventitious Dpp/Wg signalling results in hyperplastic overgrowths. ..
- Ishimaru S, Ueda R, Hinohara Y, Ohtani M, Hanafusa H. PVR plays a critical role via JNK activation in thorax closure during Drosophila metamorphosis. EMBO J. 2004;23:3984-94 pubmed..In addition, we suppose that not only Rac but also Cdc42 is activated and involved in JNK activation downstream of PVR. ..
- Glise B, Noselli S. Coupling of Jun amino-terminal kinase and Decapentaplegic signaling pathways in Drosophila morphogenesis. Genes Dev. 1997;11:1738-47 pubmed..movement depends on the activities of a Jun amino (N)-terminal kinase kinase (JNKK) encoded by the hemipterous (hep) gene, and of a JNK encoded by basket...
- Martin Blanco E, Gampel A, Ring J, Virdee K, Kirov N, Tolkovsky A, et al. puckered encodes a phosphatase that mediates a feedback loop regulating JNK activity during dorsal closure in Drosophila. Genes Dev. 1998;12:557-70 pubmed
- Adachi Yamada T, Gotoh T, Sugimura I, Tateno M, Nishida Y, Onuki T, et al. De novo synthesis of sphingolipids is required for cell survival by down-regulating c-Jun N-terminal kinase in Drosophila imaginal discs. Mol Cell Biol. 1999;19:7276-86 pubmed..The ERK pathway may be antagonistic to the JNK pathway in the control of cell survival. ..
- Buchon N, Broderick N, Chakrabarti S, Lemaitre B. Invasive and indigenous microbiota impact intestinal stem cell activity through multiple pathways in Drosophila. Genes Dev. 2009;23:2333-44 pubmed publisher..Altogether, these results indicate that gut homeostasis is achieved by a complex interregulation of the immune response, gut microbiota, and stem cell activity...
- Lee N, Hong Y, Yu S, Han S, Geum D, Cho K. dXNP, a Drosophila homolog of XNP/ATRX, induces apoptosis via Jun-N-terminal kinase activation. FEBS Lett. 2007;581:2625-32 pubmed..The dXNP-induced apoptosis was strongly suppressed by DJNKK/hemipterous mutation, and dXNP increased JNK activity...
- Ma X, Li W, Yu H, Yang Y, Li M, Xue L, et al. Bendless modulates JNK-mediated cell death and migration in Drosophila. Cell Death Differ. 2014;21:407-15 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that Ben constitutes an essential component of the evolutionarily conserved TNF-JNK pathway that modulates cell death and invasion, tumor progression, stress response and lifespan in metazoans. ..
- Wang M, Bohmann D, Jasper H. JNK extends life span and limits growth by antagonizing cellular and organism-wide responses to insulin signaling. Cell. 2005;121:115-25 pubmed..The convergence of JNK signaling and IIS on Foxo provides a model to explain the effects of stress and nutrition on longevity. ..
- Pastor Pareja J, Wu M, Xu T. An innate immune response of blood cells to tumors and tissue damage in Drosophila. Dis Model Mech. 2008;1:144-54; discussion 153 pubmed publisher..Our findings reveal common mechanisms in the response to tumors and wounds in flies. A similar innate reaction may underlie the response to tumors and tissue damage in vertebrates and humans. ..
- Agnes F, Suzanne M, Noselli S. The Drosophila JNK pathway controls the morphogenesis of imaginal discs during metamorphosis. Development. 1999;126:5453-62 pubmed..In the absence of JNK pathway activity, as in the DJNKK/hemipterous (hep) mutant, the dorsolateral ectodermal cells fail both to elongate and move toward the dorsal midline, ..
- Su Y, Treisman J, Skolnik E. The Drosophila Ste20-related kinase misshapen is required for embryonic dorsal closure and acts through a JNK MAPK module on an evolutionarily conserved signaling pathway. Genes Dev. 1998;12:2371-80 pubmed..kinase (JNK) mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPK) module, as it is blocked by null mutations in JNK kinase [hemipterous (hep)] and JNK [basket (bsk)]...
- Luo X, Puig O, Hyun J, Bohmann D, Jasper H. Foxo and Fos regulate the decision between cell death and survival in response to UV irradiation. EMBO J. 2007;26:380-90 pubmed..These data suggest that integrating stress and survival signals through Foxo drives the decision between cell death and repair of damaged cells in vivo. ..
- Martin Blanco E, Pastor Pareja J, Garcia Bellido A. JNK and decapentaplegic signaling control adhesiveness and cytoskeleton dynamics during thorax closure in Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000;97:7888-93 pubmed..Interestingly, these effects are very similar to those observed after interfering with JNK and dpp signaling during embryonic dorsal closure. ..
- Lee N, Maurange C, Ringrose L, Paro R. Suppression of Polycomb group proteins by JNK signalling induces transdetermination in Drosophila imaginal discs. Nature. 2005;438:234-7 pubmed..This regulatory interaction also occurs in mammalian cells, indicating that the role of this signalling cascade in remodelling cellular fates may be conserved. ..
- Karpac J, Hull Thompson J, Falleur M, Jasper H. JNK signaling in insulin-producing cells is required for adaptive responses to stress in Drosophila. Aging Cell. 2009;8:288-95 pubmed publisher..Endocrine control of IIS by JNK in IPCs is thus critical for systemic adaptation to stress. ..
- Riesgo Escovar J, Hafen E. Common and distinct roles of DFos and DJun during Drosophila development. Science. 1997;278:669-72 pubmed
- Riesgo Escovar J, Jenni M, Fritz A, Hafen E. The Drosophila Jun-N-terminal kinase is required for cell morphogenesis but not for DJun-dependent cell fate specification in the eye. Genes Dev. 1996;10:2759-68 pubmed..We show that DJNK is encoded by basket (bsk). Like hemipterous (hep), which encodes the Drosophila JNK kinase, bsk is required in the embryo for dorsal closure, a process ..
- Goberdhan D, Wilson C. JNK, cytoskeletal regulator and stress response kinase? A Drosophila perspective. Bioessays. 1998;20:1009-19 pubmed..Here, we review this work and discuss how future experiments in Drosophila should reveal the cell type-specific mechanisms by which JNKs perform their diverse functions. ..
- Kuranaga E, Kanuka H, Igaki T, Sawamoto K, Ichijo H, Okano H, et al. Reaper-mediated inhibition of DIAP1-induced DTRAF1 degradation results in activation of JNK in Drosophila. Nat Cell Biol. 2002;4:705-10 pubmed..Taken together, our results indicate that DIAP1 may modulate cell death by regulating JNK activation through a ubiquitin#150;proteasome pathway. ..
- Pastor Pareja J, Grawe F, Martin Blanco E, García Bellido A. Invasive cell behavior during Drosophila imaginal disc eversion is mediated by the JNK signaling cascade. Dev Cell. 2004;7:387-99 pubmed..When eversion is completed, PS cells localize to the leading front, heading disc expansion. We found that the JNK pathway is necessary for PS/larval cells apposition, the PEMT, and the motile activity of leading front cells. ..
- Uhlirova M, Jasper H, Bohmann D. Non-cell-autonomous induction of tissue overgrowth by JNK/Ras cooperation in a Drosophila tumor model. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:13123-8 pubmed..Thus, depending on the genetic context, JNK signaling can eradicate tumors by removing premalignant cells, or promote aberrant overgrowth in tissues surrounding primary lesions. ..
- Singh A, Shi X, Choi K. Lobe and Serrate are required for cell survival during early eye development in Drosophila. Development. 2006;133:4771-81 pubmed..5-fold higher frequency. This suggests that L or Ser loss-of-function triggers both caspase-dependent and -independent cell death. Our studies thus identify a mechanism responsible for cell survival in the early eye. ..