Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Hen1
Description: Hen1 methyltransferase
Alias: CG12367, DmHen1, Dmel\CG12367, FBgn 33686, PIMET, Pimet, Pimet/DmHen1, hen-1, hen1, Hen1 methyltransferase, CG12367-PA, Hen1-PA, piRNA methyltransferase
Species: fruit fly
- McCracken A, Locke J. Mutations in CG8878, a novel putative protein kinase, enhance P element dependent silencing (PDS) and position effect variegation (PEV) in Drosophila melanogaster. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e71695 pubmed publisher..These mutant alleles enhance both PDS at E1 and Position Effect Variegation (PEV) at w(m4), indicating a previously unknown common silencing mechanism between the two. ..
- Yang J, Smibert P, Westholm J, Jee D, Maurin T, Lai E. Intertwined pathways for Argonaute-mediated microRNA biogenesis in Drosophila. Nucleic Acids Res. 2014;42:1987-2002 pubmed publisher..The difference was due to the 3' modification of single-stranded species in AGO2 by Hen1 methyltransferase, whose depletion permitted 3' trimming of Ago-cleaved pre-miRNAs in AGO2...
- Kolaczkowski B, Hupalo D, Kern A. Recurrent adaptation in RNA interference genes across the Drosophila phylogeny. Mol Biol Evol. 2011;28:1033-42 pubmed publisher..Our observations suggest a predictive model of how selective pressures generated by evolutionary arms race scenarios may affect multiple genes across protein interaction networks and other biochemical pathways. ..
- Kawamura Y, Saito K, Kin T, Ono Y, Asai K, Sunohara T, et al. Drosophila endogenous small RNAs bind to Argonaute 2 in somatic cells. Nature. 2008;453:793-7 pubmed publisher..Mutations in Dicer-2 caused an increase in retrotransposon transcripts. Together, our findings indicate that different types of small RNAs and Argonautes are used to repress retrotransposons in germline and somatic cells in Drosophila. ..
- Gomes A, Nolasco S, Soares H. Non-coding RNAs: multi-tasking molecules in the cell. Int J Mol Sci. 2013;14:16010-39 pubmed publisher..We also highlighted the implications of biogenesis and gene expression deregulation of sncRNAs and lncRNAs in human diseases like cancer. ..
- Olivieri D, Sykora M, Sachidanandam R, Mechtler K, Brennecke J. An in vivo RNAi assay identifies major genetic and cellular requirements for primary piRNA biogenesis in Drosophila. EMBO J. 2010;29:3301-17 pubmed publisher..Loss of Zucchini leads to an accumulation of Piwi and Armitage in Yb bodies, indicating that Yb bodies are sites of primary piRNA biogenesis. ..
- Soares Z, GonÃ§alves A, de Oliveira K, Marques J. Viral RNA recognition by the Drosophila small interfering RNA pathway. Microbes Infect. 2014;16:1013-21 pubmed publisher..This antiviral response in fruit flies can help understand general principles of nucleic acid recognition. ..
- Wang H, Ma Z, Niu K, Xiao Y, Wu X, Pan C, et al. Antagonistic roles of Nibbler and Hen1 in modulating piRNA 3' ends in Drosophila. Development. 2016;143:530-9 pubmed publisher..We show that there is a delicate balance in the interplay between Nbr and Hen1, a methyltransferase involved in 2'-O-methylation at the 3' terminal nucleotides of piRNAs, thus connecting two ..