Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: GstD1
Description: Glutathione S transferase D1
Alias: CG10045, DmGST-1, DmGST1, DmGSTD1, DmGSTD1-1, DmGst1, Dmel\CG10045, GST, GST-1, GST-D1, GST1, GST1-1, GSTD1, GSTase, GSt1-1, Gst, Gst-D1, Gst1, Gst1-1, Gst1.1, GstD, dmGSTD1, gst-D, gst-D1-1, gstD, gstD1, gstd1, glutathione S transferase D1, CG10045-PA, CG10045-PB, Glutathione-S-transferase 1, GstD1-PA, GstD1-PB, glutathione S transferase D, glutathione S-transferase 1, glutathione S-transferase D1, glutathione S-transferase-D1
Species: fruit fly
- Alias Z, Clark A. Studies on the glutathione S-transferase proteome of adult Drosophila melanogaster: responsiveness to chemical challenge. Proteomics. 2007;7:3618-28 pubmed..Treatment with Paraquat (PQ) led to an increase in the total GST activity, as measured with the substrates 1-chloro-2,4-dinitrobenzene (CDNB) and 3,4-dichloro-nitrobenzene (DCNB) ..
- Sawicki R, Singh S, Mondal A, Benes H, Zimniak P. Cloning, expression and biochemical characterization of one Epsilon-class (GST-3) and ten Delta-class (GST-1) glutathione S-transferases from Drosophila melanogaster, and identification of additional nine members of the Epsilon class. Biochem J. 2003;370:661-9 pubmed..S-transferases (GSTs; formerly denoted as Class I GSTs) and one member of the Epsilon-class cluster (formerly GST-3) have been cloned, expressed in Escherichia coli, and their catalytic properties have been determined...
- Wang M, Bohmann D, Jasper H. JNK signaling confers tolerance to oxidative stress and extends lifespan in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2003;5:811-6 pubmed..Our work thus identifies the evolutionarily conserved JNK signaling pathway as a major genetic factor in the control of longevity. ..
- Landis G, Shen J, Tower J. Gene expression changes in response to aging compared to heat stress, oxidative stress and ionizing radiation in Drosophila melanogaster. Aging (Albany NY). 2012;4:768-89 pubmed..Selected gene expression changes were confirmed using quantitative PCR, Northern analysis and GstD-GFP reporter constructs...
- Baars A, Jansen M, Breimer D. Xenobiotica-metabolizing enzymes in Drosophila melanogaster: activities of epoxide hydratase and glutathione S-transferase compared with similar activities in rat liver. Mutat Res. 1979;62:279-91 pubmed
- Clayton J, Cripps R, Sparrow J, Bullard B. Interaction of troponin-H and glutathione S-transferase-2 in the indirect flight muscles of Drosophila melanogaster. J Muscle Res Cell Motil. 1998;19:117-27 pubmed..Peptide fingerprinting and peptide sequencing showed that this 35 kDa protein is glutathione S-transferase-2 (GST-2)...
- Toung Y, Hsieh T, Tu C. Drosophila glutathione S-transferase 1-1 shares a region of sequence homology with the maize glutathione S-transferase III. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1990;87:31-5 pubmed..Drosophila glutathione S-transferase 1-1 had no obvious homology to any mammalian or parasitic glutathione S-transferases. The gene was found to be a member of a multigene family. ..
- Toung Y, Hsieh T, Tu C. The glutathione S-transferase D genes. A divergently organized, intronless gene family in Drosophila melanogaster. J Biol Chem. 1993;268:9737-46 pubmed..We propose that the Drosophila gst D genes provide a unique system for studying GST gene regulation, in vivo physiological functions, and evolution of ..
- Rand M, Dao J, Clason T. Methylmercury disruption of embryonic neural development in Drosophila. Neurotoxicology. 2009;30:794-802 pubmed publisher..Our data establish a utility for the Drosophila embryo model as a platform for elucidating MeHg sensitive pathways in neural development. ..
- Sun Y, An S, Henrich V, Sun X, Song Q. Proteomic identification of PKC-mediated expression of 20E-induced protein in Drosophila melanogaster. J Proteome Res. 2007;6:4478-88 pubmed publisher..The data further indicate that PKC-mediated phosphorylation is also required for genes regulated indirectly by 20E-induced changes in the larval salivary gland...
- Pielage J, Kippert A, Zhu M, Klämbt C. The Drosophila transmembrane protein Fear-of-intimacy controls glial cell migration. Dev Biol. 2004;275:245-57 pubmed..Genetic evidence suggests that one of the functions of foi may be associated with hedgehog signaling. ..
- Tuxworth R, Chen H, Vivancos V, Carvajal N, Huang X, Tear G. The Batten disease gene CLN3 is required for the response to oxidative stress. Hum Mol Genet. 2011;20:2037-47 pubmed publisher..Together, our data suggest that the lack of CLN3 function leads to a failure to manage the response to oxidative stress and this may be the key deficit in JNCL that leads to neuronal degeneration. ..
- Ottea J, Harshman L, Hammock B. Patterns of epoxide metabolism by epoxide hydrolase and glutathione S-transferase associated with age and genotype in Drosophila melanogaster. Mutat Res. 1987;177:247-54 pubmed..melanogaster to complement existing tests (e.g. recessive lethal tests or Ames assays) for evaluating the relationship between epoxide hydrolase and glutathione S-transferase levels and the genotoxicity of epoxides. ..
- Kanda H, Igaki T, Okano H, Miura M. Conserved metabolic energy production pathways govern Eiger/TNF-induced nonapoptotic cell death. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:18977-82 pubmed publisher..This result suggests a link between sensitivity to cell death and metabolic activity in cancer. ..
- Pearson W. Effective protein sequence comparison. Methods Enzymol. 1996;266:227-58 pubmed..g., 10 related and 40,000 unrelated sequences). Thus, one is more likely to mistakenly identify two sequences as related than to overlook a genuine relationship, and our conservative evaluation criteria reflect that bias. ..
- Jain A, Rusten T, Katheder N, Elvenes J, Bruun J, SjÃ¸ttem E, et al. p62/Sequestosome-1, Autophagy-related Gene 8, and Autophagy in Drosophila Are Regulated by Nuclear Factor Erythroid 2-related Factor 2 (NRF2), Independent of Transcription Factor TFEB. J Biol Chem. 2015;290:14945-62 pubmed publisher..by the NRF2 orthologue, CncC, which can induce ref(2)P expression along with the oxidative stress-associated gene gstD1. However, distinct from the situation in mammals, Ref(2)P does not interact directly with DmKeap1 via a KEAP1-..
- JovanoviÄ‡ B, CvetkoviÄ‡ V, MitroviÄ‡ T. Effects of human food grade titanium dioxide nanoparticle dietary exposure on Drosophila melanogaster survival, fecundity, pupation and expression of antioxidant genes. Chemosphere. 2016;144:43-9 pubmed publisher..In general, TiO2 showed little toxicity toward D. melanogaster at concentrations relevant to oral exposure of humans. ..
- Sharma R, Brown D, Awasthi S, Yang Y, Sharma A, Patrick B, et al. Transfection with 4-hydroxynonenal-metabolizing glutathione S-transferase isozymes leads to phenotypic transformation and immortalization of adherent cells. Eur J Biochem. 2004;271:1690-701 pubmed..This is further confirmed by the fact that mouse and Drosophila GST isozymes (mGSTA4-4 and DmGSTD1-1), which have high activity toward 4-HNE and subsequent depletion of 4-HNE, cause transformation whereas human ..
- Milton V, Jarrett H, Gowers K, Chalak S, Briggs L, Robinson I, et al. Oxidative stress induces overgrowth of the Drosophila neuromuscular junction. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:17521-6 pubmed publisher..Our data describe a previously unexplored link between oxidative stress and synapse overgrowth via the JNK signaling pathway. ..
- Dudas S, Arking R. A coordinate upregulation of antioxidant gene activities is associated with the delayed onset of senescence in a long-lived strain of Drosophila. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 1995;50:B117-27 pubmed
- Gloss A, Vassão D, Hailey A, Nelson Dittrich A, Schramm K, Reichelt M, et al. Evolution in an ancient detoxification pathway is coupled with a transition to herbivory in the drosophilidae. Mol Biol Evol. 2014;31:2441-56 pubmed publisher..pathway, we profiled functional and molecular evolutionary changes in the enzyme glutathione S-transferase D1 (GSTD1), which catalyzes the first step of the mercapturic acid pathway and is induced by mustard defense products in ..
- Beall C, Fyrberg C, Song S, Fyrberg E. Isolation of a Drosophila gene encoding glutathione S-transferase. Biochem Genet. 1992;30:515-27 pubmed..that is more similar to mammalian placental and nematode GSTs than that of a previously described Drosophila GST gene, herein referred to as DmGST-1...
- Nakamura A, Yoshizaki I, Kobayashi S. Spatial expression of Drosophila glutathione S-transferase-D1 in the alimentary canal is regulated by the overlying visceral mesoderm. Dev Growth Differ. 1999;41:699-702 pubmed..Here it is reported that Glutathione S-transferase-D1 (Gst-D1) had three distinctive expression domains in the gut epithelia: the inner epithelium of the proventriculus, the ..
- Le Goff G, Bride J, Cuany A, Berge J, Amichot M. The sibling species Drosophila melanogaster and Drosophila simulans differ in the expression profile of glutathione S-transferases. Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol. 2001;129:837-41 pubmedTwo major forms of glutathione S-transferase are known in Drosophila melanogaster: GST D and GST 2. In the present paper we report the existence of a third major form of glutathione S-transferase in Drosophila simulans...
- Cochrane B, LeBlanc G. Genetics of xenobiotic metabolism in Drosophila. I. Genetic and environmental factors affecting glutathione-S-transferase in larvae. Biochem Pharmacol. 1986;35:1679-84 pubmed..Results obtained suggest the existence of at least two loci on chromosome II that code for glutathione S-transferase isozymes. ..
- Wongtrakul J, Sukittikul S, Saisawang C, Ketterman A. Mitogen-activated protein kinase p38b interaction with delta class glutathione transferases from the fruit fly, Drosophila melanogaster. J Insect Sci. 2012;12:107 pubmed publisher..DmGSTD3 and DmGSTD5 moderately increased p38b activity for jun. In addition, GST activity in the presence of p38b was also measured...
- Morton R. Evolution of Drosophila insecticide resistance. Genome. 1993;36:1-7 pubmed..In addition, molecular genetic techniques developed using Drosophila can eventually be transferred to other insects in order to help control pest populations. ..
- Jones R, Luo L, Ardita C, Richardson A, Kwon Y, Mercante J, et al. Symbiotic lactobacilli stimulate gut epithelial proliferation via Nox-mediated generation of reactive oxygen species. EMBO J. 2013;32:3017-28 pubmed publisher..Additionally, the work suggests that specific redox-mediated functions may be assigned to specific bacterial taxa and may contribute to the identification of microbes with probiotic potential. ..
- Jansen M, Baars A, Breimer D. Cytosolic glutathione S-transferases in Drosophila melanogaster. Biochem Pharmacol. 1984;33:3655-9 pubmed..melanogaster and rat liver homogenates were investigated with respect to their glutathione S-transferase (GST) activity...
- Calap Quintana P, Soriano S, Llorens J, Al Ramahi I, Botas J, MoltÃ³ M, et al. TORC1 Inhibition by Rapamycin Promotes Antioxidant Defences in a Drosophila Model of Friedreich's Ataxia. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0132376 pubmed publisher..These results point to the TORC1 pathway as a new potential therapeutic target for FRDA and as a guide to finding new promising molecules for disease treatment. ..
- Akgül B, Tu C. Evidence for a stabilizer element in the untranslated regions of Drosophila glutathione S-transferase D1 mRNA. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:34700-7 pubmedThe neighboring genes gstD1 and gstD21 share 70% sequence identity. gstD1 encodes a 1,1,1-trichloro-2,2-bis-(P-chlorophenyl)ethane dehydrochlorinase; gstD21, a ligandin...
- Toung Y, Hsieh T, Tu C. The Drosophila glutathione S-transferase 1-1 is encoded by an intronless gene at 87B. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1991;178:1205-11 pubmedThe Drosophila glutathione S-transferase 1-1 is a dimer of a 209 amino acid subunit, designated DmGST1. DmGST1 is encoded by a member of a multigene family...
- Muliyil S, Narasimha M. Mitochondrial ROS regulates cytoskeletal and mitochondrial remodeling to tune cell and tissue dynamics in a model for wound healing. Dev Cell. 2014;28:239-52 pubmed publisher..They identify a pathway triggered by ROS and mediated by the Rho effector ROCK and its substrates that influences tissue patterning and homeostasis through the coordinate regulation of both mitochondrial morphology and tissue tension. ..
- Wongsantichon J, Robinson R, Ketterman A. Structural evidence for conformational changes of Delta class glutathione transferases after ligand binding. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2012;521:77-83 pubmed publisher..Movements of these positions would allow 'breathing' of the active site for substrate entrance, topological rearrangement for varying substrate specificity and final product release. ..
- Zemanova M, Stašková T, Kodrik D. Role of adipokinetic hormone and adenosine in the anti-stress response in Drosophila melanogaster. J Insect Physiol. 2016;91-92:39-47 pubmed publisher..In contrast, PQ significantly increased the expression of the glutathione S-transferase D1 (GstD1) gene...
- Toung Y, Tu C. Drosophila glutathione S-transferases have sequence homology to the stringent starvation protein of Escherichia coli. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1992;182:355-60 pubmed..coli RNA polymerase holoenzyme. ..
- Khoshnood B, Dacklin I, Grabbe C. Urm1: an essential regulator of JNK signaling and oxidative stress in Drosophila melanogaster. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2016;73:1939-54 pubmed publisher..molecular and genetic evidence suggest that elevated activity of the JNK downstream target genes Jafrac1 and gstD1 strongly contributes to the tolerance against oxidative stress displayed by Urm1 (n123) null mutants...
- Nagy P, Varga A, Pircs K, HegedÅ±s K, JuhÃ¡sz G. Myc-driven overgrowth requires unfolded protein response-mediated induction of autophagy and antioxidant responses in Drosophila melanogaster. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003664 pubmed publisher..These novel results give additional support for finding future approaches to specifically inhibit the growth of cancer cells addicted to oncogenic Myc. ..
- Vierstraete E, Verleyen P, Baggerman G, D Hertog W, Van den Bergh G, Arckens L, et al. A proteomic approach for the analysis of instantly released wound and immune proteins in Drosophila melanogaster hemolymph. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:470-5 pubmed..Determining the function of all of these immune-induced proteins represents an exciting challenge for increasing our knowledge of insect immunity. ..
- Lozinsky O, Lushchak O, Kryshchuk N, Shchypanska N, Riabkina A, Skarbek S, et al. S-nitrosoglutathione-induced toxicity in Drosophila melanogaster: Delayed pupation and induced mild oxidative/nitrosative stress in eclosed flies. Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol. 2013;164:162-70 pubmed publisher..Among the parameters tested, aconitase activity and developmental end points may be useful early indicators of toxicity caused by GSNO. ..
- Lougarre A, Bride J, Fournier D. Is the insect glutathione S-transferase I gene family intronless?. Insect Mol Biol. 1999;8:141-3 pubmed..But sequences of the untranslated 5' end of transcripts revealed the presence of an intron in housefly and Drosophila genes suggesting that most insect GSTI genes are in fact interrupted. ..
- Chahine S, O Donnell M. Interactions between detoxification mechanisms and excretion in Malpighian tubules of Drosophila melanogaster. J Exp Biol. 2011;214:462-8 pubmed publisher..butoxide (PBO) was associated with reduced expression of two P450 genes (Cyp4e2, Cyp4p1) and two GST genes (GstD1, GstD5) in the tubules, as well as increased expression of Cyp12d1 and GstE1...
- Low W, Feil S, Ng H, Gorman M, Morton C, Pyke J, et al. Recognition and detoxification of the insecticide DDT by Drosophila melanogaster glutathione S-transferase D1. J Mol Biol. 2010;399:358-66 pubmed publisherb>GSTD1 is one of several insect glutathione S-transferases capable of metabolizing the insecticide DDT. Here we use crystallography and NMR to elucidate the binding of DDT and glutathione to GSTD1...
- Vierstraete E, Verleyen P, Sas F, Van den Bergh G, De Loof A, Arckens L, et al. The instantly released Drosophila immune proteome is infection-specific. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2004;317:1052-60 pubmed..Next to known immune proteins, unannotated proteins were identified such as CG4306 protein, which has homologues with unknown function in all metazoan genome databases available today. ..
- Li X, Chatterjee N, Spirohn K, Boutros M, Bohmann D. Cdk12 Is A Gene-Selective RNA Polymerase II Kinase That Regulates a Subset of the Transcriptome, Including Nrf2 Target Genes. Sci Rep. 2016;6:21455 pubmed publisher..We suggest that Cdk12 acts as a gene-selective Pol II kinase that engages a global shift in gene expression to switch cells from a metabolically active state to "stress-defence mode" when challenged by external stress. ..
- Moskalev A, Zhikrivetskaya S, Krasnov G, Shaposhnikov M, Proshkina E, Borisoglebsky D, et al. A comparison of the transcriptome of Drosophila melanogaster in response to entomopathogenic fungus, ionizing radiation, starvation and cold shock. BMC Genomics. 2015;16 Suppl 13:S8 pubmed publisher..Studied doses of stress treatments deleteriously affect the organism's viability and lead to different changes of both general and specific cellular stress response mechanisms. ..
- Mensah L, Davison C, Fan S, Morris J, Goberdhan D, Wilson C. Fine-Tuning of PI3K/AKT Signalling by the Tumour Suppressor PTEN Is Required for Maintenance of Flight Muscle Function and Mitochondrial Integrity in Ageing Adult Drosophila melanogaster. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0143818 pubmed publisher..They also exhibit dramatic upregulation of the oxidative stress response gene, GstD1, and a progressive loss of motor function that ultimately leads to defects in climbing and flight ability...
- Arking R, Force A, Dudas S, Buck S, Baker G. Factors contributing to the plasticity of the extended longevity phenotypes of Drosophila. Exp Gerontol. 1996;31:623-43 pubmed..It also illustrates that the species has the potential to employ any one of a number of different proximal mechanisms, each of which give rise to a similar longevity phenotype. ..
- Shen S, Chien Y, Chien C. Induction of glutathione S-transferases activities in Drosophila melanogaster exposed to phenol. Arch Insect Biochem Physiol. 2003;53:80-91 pubmed..But no significant change in the amount of glutathione S-transferases GstD1 and GstD5 mRNAs had occurred...
- Beaver L, Klichko V, Chow E, Kotwica Rolinska J, Williamson M, Orr W, et al. Circadian regulation of glutathione levels and biosynthesis in Drosophila melanogaster. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e50454 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we found that the expression of a glutathione S-transferase, GstD1, which utilizes GSH in cellular detoxification, significantly fluctuated during the circadian day...
- Wayne M, Pienaar J, Telonis Scott M, Sylvestre L, Nuzhdin S, McIntyre L. Expression of defense genes in Drosophila evolves under a different selective regime from expression of other genes. Evolution. 2011;65:1068-78 pubmed publisher..Both balancing selection driven by host-pathogen coevolution and relaxed selection for expression of uninduced defense genes are viable interpretations of these data. ..
- Sun X, Seeberger J, Alberico T, Wang C, Wheeler C, Schauss A, et al. AÃ§ai palm fruit (Euterpe oleracea Mart.) pulp improves survival of flies on a high fat diet. Exp Gerontol. 2010;45:243-51 pubmed publisher..increased the transcript level of l(2)efl, a small heat-shock-related protein, and two detoxification genes, GstD1 and MtnA, while decreasing the transcript level of phosphoenolpyruvate carboxykinase (Pepck), a key gene involved ..
- Takahashi A, Tsaur S, Coyne J, Wu C. The nucleotide changes governing cuticular hydrocarbon variation and their evolution in Drosophila melanogaster. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001;98:3920-5 pubmed..Whether this CH variation could be a component of the sexual isolation between Zimbabwe and other cosmopolitan populations remains an interesting and unresolved question. ..
- Tang A, Tu C. Pentobarbital-induced changes in Drosophila glutathione S-transferase D21 mRNA stability. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:13819-25 pubmed..The GST D1 protein level is four times as abundant as the GST D21 protein...
- Tsakiri E, Sykiotis G, Papassideri I, Terpos E, Dimopoulos M, Gorgoulis V, et al. Proteasome dysfunction in Drosophila signals to an Nrf2-dependent regulatory circuit aiming to restore proteostasis and prevent premature aging. Aging Cell. 2013;12:802-13 pubmed publisher..Prolonged deregulation of this proteostasis circuit accelerates aging. ..
- Hunaiti A, Elbetieha A, Obeidat M, Owais W. Developmental studies on Drosophila melanogaster glutathione S-transferase and its induction by oxadiazolone. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 1995;25:1115-9 pubmed..Incorporation of the widely used herbicide oxadiazolone at concentrations of 375 and 563 part/million into the culture media caused 4- and 2.5-fold increase in the enzyme activity in pupal and adult stages respectively. ..