Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: grn
Alias: CG9656, CG9656-PA, Dmel\CG9656, GATAc, GRAIN, Gata-c, Gata2, Grn, dGATA-2, dGATAc, dGatac, gra, l(3)84Fa, grain, CG9656-PA, CG9656-PB, CG9656-PC, GATA-factor-c, grn-PA, grn-PB, grn-PC, lethal(3)84Fa
Species: fruit fly
- Strecker T, Yip M, Lipshitz H. Genetic control of cell fate in the termini of the Drosophila embryo. Dev Biol. 1992;150:422-6 pubmed..Genes that control dorsoventral pattern in the termini and genes that program terminal morphogenesis act in distinct branches of the genetic hierarchy that are independent of tailless. ..
- Lovegrove B, Simoes S, Rivas M, Sotillos S, Johnson K, Knust E, et al. Coordinated control of cell adhesion, polarity, and cytoskeleton underlies Hox-induced organogenesis in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2006;16:2206-16 pubmed..We propose that during animal development, Hox-controlled genetic cascades coordinate the local cell-specific behaviors that result in organogenesis of segment-specific structures. ..
- Letizia A, Barrio R, Campuzano S. Antagonistic and cooperative actions of the EGFR and Dpp pathways on the iroquois genes regulate Drosophila mesothorax specification and patterning. Development. 2007;134:1337-46 pubmed..These results help define the molecular mechanisms of the interplay between the EGFR and Dpp pathways in the specification and patterning of the notum. ..
- Fossett N, Schulz R. Functional conservation of hematopoietic factors in Drosophila and vertebrates. Differentiation. 2001;69:83-90 pubmed..Furthermore, aspects of hematopoiesis and hemocyte function appear to be conserved. Thus, comparative studies using Drosophila and vertebrate models should enhance our understanding of blood cell development. ..
- Ashe H, Mannervik M, Levine M. Dpp signaling thresholds in the dorsal ectoderm of the Drosophila embryo. Development. 2000;127:3305-12 pubmed..We also present evidence that the activation of Dpp/Scw target genes depends on the Drosophila homolog of the CBP histone acetyltransferase. ..
- Go M, Artavanis Tsakonas S. A genetic screen for novel components of the notch signaling pathway during Drosophila bristle development. Genetics. 1998;150:211-20 pubmed
- Brown S, Castelli Gair Hombría J. Drosophila grain encodes a GATA transcription factor required for cell rearrangement during morphogenesis. Development. 2000;127:4867-76 pubmedThe genetic mechanisms controlling organ shape are largely unknown. We show that the Drosophila grain gene is required during development for shaping the adult legs and the larval posterior spiracles...
- Tolhuis B, Blom M, Kerkhoven R, Pagie L, Teunissen H, Nieuwland M, et al. Interactions among Polycomb domains are guided by chromosome architecture. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1001343 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that many interactions among PcG target genes exist and that these interactions are guided by overall chromosome architecture. ..
- Papadopoulos D, Resendez Perez D, Cárdenas Chávez D, Villanueva Segura K, Canales del Castillo R, Felix D, et al. Functional synthetic Antennapedia genes and the dual roles of YPWM motif and linker size in transcriptional activation and repression. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:11959-64 pubmed publisher
- Zeng J, Kirk B, Gou Y, Wang Q, Ma J. Genome-wide polycomb target gene prediction in Drosophila melanogaster. Nucleic Acids Res. 2012;40:5848-63 pubmed publisher..From a computational standpoint, our strategy of modelling transcription factor interaction with a non-linear kernel is original, effective and transferable to many other applications. ..
- Lossky M, Wensink P. Regulation of Drosophila yolk protein genes by an ovary-specific GATA factor. Mol Cell Biol. 1995;15:6943-52 pubmed
- Baker B, Hoff G, Kaufman T, Wolfner M, Hazelrigg T. The doublesex locus of Drosophila melanogaster and its flanking regions: a cytogenetic analysis. Genetics. 1991;127:125-38 pubmed..It is suggested that the lack of essential genes in this region is due to the region (1) containing genes with nonessential functions and (2) being duplicated, possibly both internally and elsewhere in the genome. ..
- Garces A, Thor S. Specification of Drosophila aCC motoneuron identity by a genetic cascade involving even-skipped, grain and zfh1. Development. 2006;133:1445-55 pubmed..We find that ISN motoneurons also express the GATA transcription factor Grain, and grn mutants display motor axon pathfinding defects...
- Gillis W, BOWERMAN B, Schneider S. The evolution of protostome GATA factors: molecular phylogenetics, synteny, and intron/exon structure reveal orthologous relationships. BMC Evol Biol. 2008;8:112 pubmed publisher..Our study shows how sampling of additional genomic data, especially from less derived and interspersed protostome taxa, can be used to resolve the orthologous relationships within more divergent gene families. ..
- Zarin A, Daly A, Hülsmeier J, Asadzadeh J, Labrador J. A GATA/homeodomain transcriptional code regulates axon guidance through the Unc-5 receptor. Development. 2012;139:1798-805 pubmed publisher..One such code defined by the homeodomain transcription factor Even-skipped (Eve) and by the GATA 2/3 homologue Grain (Grn) is specifically required for motor axon projection towards dorsal muscles in Drosophila...