Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Gr64f
Description: Gustatory receptor 64f
Alias: CG14988, CG32255, DmGr64f, Dmel64f, Dmel\CG32255, GR64f, Gr64, Gr64A3, gustatory receptor 64f, CG32255-PA, Gr64f-PA, gustatory receptor 64A3
Species: fruit fly
- Hussain A, Zhang M, ÃœÃ§punar H, Svensson T, Quillery E, Gompel N, et al. Ionotropic Chemosensory Receptors Mediate the Taste and Smell of Polyamines. PLoS Biol. 2016;14:e1002454 pubmed publisher..Given their universal and highly conserved biological roles, we propose that the ability to evaluate food for polyamine content may impact health and reproductive success also of other animals including humans. ..
- Fujii S, Yavuz A, Slone J, Jagge C, Song X, Amrein H. Drosophila sugar receptors in sweet taste perception, olfaction, and internal nutrient sensing. Curr Biol. 2015;25:621-627 pubmed publisher..genome harbors a small subfamily of eight, closely related gustatory receptor (Gr) genes, Gr5a, Gr61a, and Gr64a-Gr64f, of which three have been proposed to mediate sweet taste [3-6]...
- ..In this Review, we discuss recent advances in taste research, mainly from the fly and mammalian systems, and we highlight principles that are common across species, despite stark differences in receptor types...
- Jeong Y, Shim J, Oh S, Yoon H, Kim C, Moon S, et al. An odorant-binding protein required for suppression of sweet taste by bitter chemicals. Neuron. 2013;79:725-37 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate an unexpected role for an OBP in taste and identify a molecular player involved in the integration of opposing attractive and aversive gustatory inputs. ..
- Matsunami H, Amrein H. Taste and pheromone perception in mammals and flies. Genome Biol. 2003;4:220 pubmed..Comparison of these systems in Drosophila and mouse uncovers clear differences and a few surprising similarities. ..
- Yavuz A, Jagge C, Slone J, Amrein H. A genetic tool kit for cellular and behavioral analyses of insect sugar receptors. Fly (Austin). 2014;8:189-96 pubmed publisher..Thus, the precisely engineered genetic mutations of single Gr genes and construction of a sugar-blind strain provide powerful analytical tools for examining the roles of Drosophila and other insect sugar Gr genes in sweet taste. ..
- Kent L, Robertson H. Evolution of the sugar receptors in insects. BMC Evol Biol. 2009;9:41 pubmed publisher..grimshawi and the D. pseudoobscura/persimilis sibling species have also lost Gr5a function. The entire Gr64 gene complex was also duplicated in the D...
- Tauber J, Brown E, Li Y, Yurgel M, Masek P, Keene A. A subset of sweet-sensing neurons identified by IR56d are necessary and sufficient for fatty acid taste. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1007059 pubmed publisher..Previously, we showed that a broad population of sugar-sensing taste neurons expressing Gustatory Receptor 64f (Gr64f) is required for reflexive feeding responses to both FAs and sugars...
- Chen Y, Amrein H. Enhancing perception of contaminated food through acid-mediated modulation of taste neuron responses. Curr Biol. 2014;24:1969-77 pubmed publisher..We propose that the acids present in most fruits counteract the inhibitory effects of these bitter compounds during feeding. ..
- Masek P, Keene A. Drosophila fatty acid taste signals through the PLC pathway in sugar-sensing neurons. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003710 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings reveal that PLC function in Drosophila sweet-sensing neurons is a conserved molecular signaling pathway that confers attraction to fatty acids. ..
- French A, Sellier M, Ali Agha M, Moutaz A, Guigue A, Chabaud M, et al. Dual mechanism for bitter avoidance in Drosophila. J Neurosci. 2015;35:3990-4004 pubmed publisher..We postulate that sugar-sensing inhibition represents a mechanism in insects to prevent ingesting harmful substances occurring within mixtures. ..
- Miyamoto T, Chen Y, Slone J, Amrein H. Identification of a Drosophila glucose receptor using Ca2+ imaging of single chemosensory neurons. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e56304 pubmed publisher..Thus, single cell Ca(2+) imaging can be employed as a powerful tool to identify ligands for orphan Gr proteins. ..
- Linford N, Chan T, Pletcher S. Re-patterning sleep architecture in Drosophila through gustatory perception and nutritional quality. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002668 pubmed publisher..These results provide evidence that gustatory perception can alter arousal thresholds for sleep behavior in response to dietary cues and provide a mechanism by which organisms tune their behavior and physiology to environmental cues. ..
- Sun F, Wang Y, Zhou Y, van Swinderen B, Gong Z, Liu L. Identification of neurons responsible for feeding behavior in the Drosophila brain. Sci China Life Sci. 2014;57:391-402 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that these Gal4-labeled neurons, which function downstream of sensory neurons and regulate feeding behavior towards different food sources is necessary in Drosophila feeding control. ..
- Fan P, Manoli D, Ahmed O, Chen Y, Agarwal N, Kwong S, et al. Genetic and neural mechanisms that inhibit Drosophila from mating with other species. Cell. 2013;154:89-102 pubmed publisher..Although this chemosensory pathway does not inhibit interspecies mating in D. melanogaster females, similar mechanisms appear to inhibit this behavior in many other male drosophilids...
- Freeman E, Wisotsky Z, Dahanukar A. Detection of sweet tastants by a conserved group of insect gustatory receptors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:1598-603 pubmed publisher..Our results provide a molecular basis for tastant detection by the entire repertoire of sweet taste receptors in the fly and lay the foundation for studying Grs in mosquitoes and other insects that transmit deadly diseases. ..