Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Gr63a
Description: Gustatory receptor 63a
Alias: CG14979, DmGr63a, Dmel\CG14979, GR63a, Gr63F1, gr63a, gustatory receptor 63a, CG14979-PB, Gr63a-PB, gustatory receptor 63F1
Species: fruit fly
- Fischler W, Kong P, Marella S, Scott K. The detection of carbonation by the Drosophila gustatory system. Nature. 2007;448:1054-7 pubmed..This work opens up the possibility that the taste of carbonation may also exist in other organisms...
- Robertson H, Kent L. Evolution of the gene lineage encoding the carbon dioxide receptor in insects. J Insect Sci. 2009;9:19 pubmed publisherA heterodimer of the insect chemoreceptors Gr21a and Gr63a has been shown to be the carbon dioxide receptor in Drosophila melanogaster (Meigen) (Diptera: Drosophilidae)...
- Cayirlioglu P, Kadow I, Zhan X, Okamura K, Suh G, Gunning D, et al. Hybrid neurons in a microRNA mutant are putative evolutionary intermediates in insect CO2 sensory systems. Science. 2008;319:1256-60 pubmed publisher..We propose that this hybrid ORN reveals a cellular intermediate in the evolution of species-specific behaviors elicited by CO2...
- Sachse S, Rueckert E, Keller A, Okada R, Tanaka N, Ito K, et al. Activity-dependent plasticity in an olfactory circuit. Neuron. 2007;56:838-50 pubmed..Behavioral responses to CO2 were also reduced after such exposure. We suggest that activity-dependent functional plasticity may be a general feature of the Drosophila olfactory system. ..
- Partridge L. Some highlights of research on aging with invertebrates, 2010. Aging Cell. 2011;10:5-9 pubmed publisher..The invertebrates continue to be a power house of discovery for future work in mammals. ..
- With S, Rice T, Salinas C, Auld V. Fire exit is a potential four transmembrane protein expressed in developing Drosophila glia. Genesis. 2003;35:143-52 pubmed
- Sim C, Perry S, Tharadra S, Lipsick J, Ray A. Epigenetic regulation of olfactory receptor gene expression by the Myb-MuvB/dREAM complex. Genes Dev. 2012;26:2483-98 pubmed publisher..plays an important role in mediating neuron-specific expression of the carbon dioxide (CO(2)) receptor genes (Gr63a/Gr21a) in Drosophila...
- Galizia C. Olfactory coding in the insect brain: data and conjectures. Eur J Neurosci. 2014;39:1784-95 pubmed publisher..A review of experimental data and theoretical conjectures both contribute to this synthesis, creating new hypotheses for future research. ..
- Jeong D, Artan M, Seo K, Lee S. Regulation of lifespan by chemosensory and thermosensory systems: findings in invertebrates and their implications in mammalian aging. Front Genet. 2012;3:218 pubmed publisher..In this review, we describe findings regarding how sensory nervous system components elicit physiological changes to regulate lifespan in invertebrate models, and discuss their implications in mammalian aging. ..
- Helenius I, Krupinski T, Turnbull D, Gruenbaum Y, Silverman N, Johnson E, et al. Elevated CO2 suppresses specific Drosophila innate immune responses and resistance to bacterial infection. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:18710-5 pubmed publisher..significantly impairs embryonic morphogenesis, egg laying, and egg hatching even in mutants lacking the Gr63a neuronal CO(2) sensor...
- Wilson R. Neurobiology: scent secrets of insects. Nature. 2007;445:30-1 pubmed
- ..In this Review, we discuss recent advances in taste research, mainly from the fly and mammalian systems, and we highlight principles that are common across species, despite stark differences in receptor types...
- French A, Meisner S, Su C, Torkkeli P. Carbon dioxide and fruit odor transduction in Drosophila olfactory neurons. What controls their dynamic properties?. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e86347 pubmed publisher..In contrast, high frequency dynamics are limited by processes associated with earlier steps in odor transduction, and CO2 is detected more rapidly than fruit odor. ..
- Freeman E, Wisotsky Z, Dahanukar A. Detection of sweet tastants by a conserved group of insect gustatory receptors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:1598-603 pubmed publisher..Our results provide a molecular basis for tastant detection by the entire repertoire of sweet taste receptors in the fly and lay the foundation for studying Grs in mosquitoes and other insects that transmit deadly diseases. ..
- Ziegler A, Berthelot Grosjean M, Grosjean Y. The smell of love in Drosophila. Front Physiol. 2013;4:72 pubmed publisher..PAA enhances male courtship, acting as a food aphrodisiac. Drosophila males have thus developed complementary olfactory strategies to help them to select their mates. ..
- Linford N, Chan T, Pletcher S. Re-patterning sleep architecture in Drosophila through gustatory perception and nutritional quality. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002668 pubmed publisher..These results provide evidence that gustatory perception can alter arousal thresholds for sleep behavior in response to dietary cues and provide a mechanism by which organisms tune their behavior and physiology to environmental cues. ..
- Bai L, Goldman A, Carlson J. Positive and negative regulation of odor receptor gene choice in Drosophila by acj6. J Neurosci. 2009;29:12940-7 pubmed publisher..Thus, Acj6 acts directly in the process of receptor gene choice; it plays a dual role, positive and negative, in the logic of the process, and acts in partitioning the larval and adult receptor repertoires. ..