Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Gli
Alias: BG:DS09217.3, CG3903, Dmel\CG3903, gli, l(2)35Dg, l(2)br45, n(2)k09033, gliotactin, CG3903-PA, CG3903-PC, CG3903-PD, CG3903-PE, CG3903-PF, Gli-PA, Gli-PC, Gli-PD, Gli-PE, Gli-PF
Species: fruit fly
- Genova J, Fehon R. Neuroglian, Gliotactin, and the Na+/K+ ATPase are essential for septate junction function in Drosophila. J Cell Biol. 2003;161:979-89 pubmed..addition to the previously known components Coracle (COR) and Neurexin (NRX), we show that four other proteins, Gliotactin, Neuroglian (NRG), and both the alpha and beta subunits of the Na+/K+ ATPase, are required for formation of the ..
- Dobie K, Kennedy C, Velasco V, McGrath T, Weko J, Patterson R, et al. Identification of chromosome inheritance modifiers in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 2001;157:1623-37 pubmed
- Sepp K, Auld V. Reciprocal interactions between neurons and glia are required for Drosophila peripheral nervous system development. J Neurosci. 2003;23:8221-30 pubmed..The observations support a model in which glia express genes necessary for sensory neuron development, and these genes are potentially under the control of the EGFR/Ras signaling pathway. ..
- Cai Y, Chia W, Yang X. A family of snail-related zinc finger proteins regulates two distinct and parallel mechanisms that mediate Drosophila neuroblast asymmetric divisions. EMBO J. 2001;20:1704-14 pubmed
- Sepp K, Schulte J, Auld V. Developmental dynamics of peripheral glia in Drosophila melanogaster. Glia. 2000;30:122-33 pubmed..Peripheral glia seem to have dynamic and diverse roles and their similarities to vertebrate glia suggest that Drosophila may serve as a powerful tool for analysis of glial roles in PNS development in the future. ..
- Venema D, Zeev Ben Mordehai T, Auld V. Transient apical polarization of Gliotactin and Coracle is required for parallel alignment of wing hairs in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2004;275:301-14 pubmed..We have demonstrated a novel role for the septate junction proteins Gliotactin (Gli) and Coracle (Cora) in this process...
- Förster D, Luschnig S. Src42A-dependent polarized cell shape changes mediate epithelial tube elongation in Drosophila. Nat Cell Biol. 2012;14:526-34 pubmed publisher..Whereas exocytosis-dependent membrane growth drives circumferential tube expansion, Src42A is required to orient membrane growth in the axial dimension of the tube. ..
- Robins H, Li Y, Padgett R. Incorporating structure to predict microRNA targets. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:4006-9 pubmed..One of these validated genes is mad as a target for bantam. Furthermore, our computational and experimental data suggest that miRNAs have fewer targets than previously reported. ..
- Kim J, Kim Y, Kim Ha J. Blood-brain barrier defects associated with Rbp9 mutation. Mol Cells. 2010;29:93-8 pubmed publisher..Putative Rbp9-binding sites were found in introns of genes that function in cell adhesion. Therefore, Rbp9 may regulate the splicing of cell adhesion molecules, critical for the formation of the BBB...
- Mosimann C, Hausmann G, Basler K. The role of Parafibromin/Hyrax as a nuclear Gli/Ci-interacting protein in Hedgehog target gene control. Mech Dev. 2009;126:394-405 pubmed publisher..patterning and tissue homeostasis, controls its target genes by managing the processing and activities of the Gli/Ci transcription factors...
- Edenfeld G, Volohonsky G, Krukkert K, Naffin E, Lammel U, Grimm A, et al. The splicing factor crooked neck associates with the RNA-binding protein HOW to control glial cell maturation in Drosophila. Neuron. 2006;52:969-80 pubmed
- Furuse M, Tsukita S. Claudins in occluding junctions of humans and flies. Trends Cell Biol. 2006;16:181-8 pubmed..Interestingly, claudin-like molecules have recently been identified in septate junctions of Drosophila. Here, we present an overview of recent progress in claudin studies conducted in mammals and flies. ..
- Padash Barmchi M, Browne K, Sturgeon K, Jusiak B, Auld V. Control of Gliotactin localization and levels by tyrosine phosphorylation and endocytosis is necessary for survival of polarized epithelia. J Cell Sci. 2010;123:4052-62 pubmed publisher..In the fruitfly Drosophila, the TCJ is generated at the meeting point of bicellular septate junctions. Gliotactin was the first identified component of the TCJ and is necessary for TCJ and septate junction development...
- Gubb D, McGill S, Ashburner M. A selective screen to recover chromosomal deletions and duplications in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1988;119:377-90 pubmed..Such aberration breakpoints can be genetically mapped, as synthetic deletions, and then used as transposon-tagged sites for the recovery of genomic clones. ..
- Bosveld F, Markova O, Guirao B, Martin C, Wang Z, Pierre A, et al. Epithelial tricellular junctions act as interphase cell shape sensors to orient mitosis. Nature. 2016;530:495-8 pubmed publisher..Thus, in addition to their function as epithelial barrier structures, TCJs serve as polarity cues promoting geometry and mechanical sensing in epithelial tissues. ..
- Dubnau J, Chiang A, Grady L, Barditch J, Gossweiler S, McNeil J, et al. The staufen/pumilio pathway is involved in Drosophila long-term memory. Curr Biol. 2003;13:286-96 pubmed..Behavioral experiments confirm a role for this pathway and suggest a molecular mechanism for synapse-specific modification. ..
- Verbeni M, Sanchez O, Mollica E, Siegl Cachedenier I, Carleton A, Guerrero I, et al. Morphogenetic action through flux-limited spreading. Phys Life Rev. 2013;10:457-75 pubmed publisher..Using FLS and focusing on intercellular Hh-Gli signaling, we model a morphogen gradient and highlight the propagation velocity of morphogen particles as a new key ..
- Schmidt I, Thomas S, Kain P, Risse B, Naffin E, Kl mbt C. Kinesin heavy chain function in Drosophila glial cells controls neuronal activity. J Neurosci. 2012;32:7466-76 pubmed publisher..Our work shows that the role of Khc for neuronal excitability must be considered in the light of its necessity for directed transport in glia...
- Biesecker L. Strike three for GLI3. Nat Genet. 1997;17:259-60 pubmed
- Steinhauer J, Liu H, Miller E, Treisman J. Trafficking of the EGFR ligand Spitz regulates its signaling activity in polarized tissues. J Cell Sci. 2013;126:4469-78 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data support the model that localized trafficking of the pro-protein restricts its ability to activate the receptor in polarized tissues. ..
- Mistry H, Wilson B, Roberts I, O Kane C, Skeath J. Cullin-3 regulates pattern formation, external sensory organ development and cell survival during Drosophila development. Mech Dev. 2004;121:1495-507 pubmed..The diverse nature of Cullin-3 phenotypes highlights the importance of targeted proteolysis during Drosophila development. ..
- Zeev Ben Mordehai T, Rydberg E, Solomon A, Toker L, Auld V, Silman I, et al. The intracellular domain of the Drosophila cholinesterase-like neural adhesion protein, gliotactin, is natively unfolded. Proteins. 2003;53:758-67 pubmedDrosophila gliotactin (Gli) is a 109-kDa transmembrane, cholinesterase-like adhesion molecule (CLAM), expressed in peripheral glia, that is crucial for formation of the blood-nerve barrier...
- von Hilchen C, Bustos A, Giangrande A, Technau G, Altenhein B. Predetermined embryonic glial cells form the distinct glial sheaths of the Drosophila peripheral nervous system. Development. 2013;140:3657-68 pubmed publisher..This characterisation of the embryonic origin and development of each glial sheath will facilitate functional studies, as they can now be addressed distinctively and genetically manipulated in the embryo. ..
- Byri S, Misra T, Syed Z, BÃ¤tz T, Shah J, Boril L, et al. The Triple-Repeat Protein Anakonda Controls Epithelial Tricellular Junction Formation in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2015;33:535-48 pubmed publisher..Aka is necessary and sufficient for accumulation of Gliotactin at TCJs, suggesting that Aka initiates TCJ assembly by recruiting other proteins to tricellular vertices...
- Sharifkhodaei Z, Padash Barmchi M, Gilbert M, Samarasekera G, Fulga T, Van Vactor D, et al. The Drosophila tricellular junction protein Gliotactin regulates its own mRNA levels through BMP-mediated induction of miR-184. J Cell Sci. 2016;129:1477-89 pubmed publisher..b>Gliotactin, a member of the Neuroligin family, is located at theDrosophilatricellular junction, and is crucial for the ..
- Oshima K, Fehon R. Analysis of protein dynamics within the septate junction reveals a highly stable core protein complex that does not include the basolateral polarity protein Discs large. J Cell Sci. 2011;124:2861-71 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that formation of a stable SJ core complex is separable from its proper subcellular localization, and provide new insights into the complex processes that regulate epithelial polarity and assembly of the SJ. ..
- Nahvi A, Shoemaker C, Green R. An expanded seed sequence definition accounts for full regulation of the hid 3' UTR by bantam miRNA. RNA. 2009;15:814-22 pubmed publisher..Further support for the potential contribution of the 3-9 seed register to microRNA-mediated gene regulation is provided by the experimental validation of several novel bantam targets identified with a more relaxed search algorithm. ..
- Liévens J, Iché M, Laval M, Faivre Sarrailh C, Birman S. AKT-sensitive or insensitive pathways of toxicity in glial cells and neurons in Drosophila models of Huntington's disease. Hum Mol Genet. 2008;17:882-94 pubmed..ERK had no beneficial effects in the retina or brain. These results indicate that mHtt activates distinct pathways of toxicity in Drosophila, either sensitive to AKT in retinal photoreceptors and glia, or independent in brain neurons. ..
- Schulte J, Charish K, Que J, Ravn S, MacKinnon C, Auld V. Gliotactin and Discs large form a protein complex at the tricellular junction of polarized epithelial cells in Drosophila. J Cell Sci. 2006;119:4391-401 pubmed..In Drosophila, the transmembrane protein Gliotactin was the first identified marker of the TCJ, but little is known about other molecular constituents...
- Daneman R, Barres B. The blood-brain barrier--lessons from moody flies. Cell. 2005;123:9-12 pubmed..Meanwhile, moody also has been identified in a screen for fly mutants with altered sensitivity to cocaine, remarkably implicating the BBB in the physiological response to narcotics. ..
- Carthew R. Adhesion proteins and the control of cell shape. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 2005;15:358-63 pubmed..Recent insights into adherens junction remodeling have revealed the importance of polarized localization of myosin and Par3 at the adherens junction. ..
- Sepp K, Auld V. RhoA and Rac1 GTPases mediate the dynamic rearrangement of actin in peripheral glia. Development. 2003;130:1825-35 pubmed..Together, Actin cytoskeletal dynamics is an integral part of peripheral glial migration and nerve ensheathement, and is mediated by RhoA and Rac1. ..
- Schotman H, Karhinen L, Rabouille C. dGRASP-mediated noncanonical integrin secretion is required for Drosophila epithelial remodeling. Dev Cell. 2008;14:171-82 pubmed publisher..We speculate that this mechanism might be used during development as a means of targeting a specific subset of transmembrane proteins to the plasma membrane. ..
- Padash Barmchi M, Charish K, Que J, Auld V. Gliotactin and Discs large are co-regulated to maintain epithelial integrity. J Cell Sci. 2013;126:1134-43 pubmed publisher..Tricellular junctions (TCJs) maintain the permeability barriers at the contact site of three epithelial cells. Gliotactin, a member of the Neuroligin family, is the only known Drosophila protein exclusively localized to the TCJ and is ..
- Strigini M, Cantera R, Morin X, Bastiani M, Bate M, Karagogeos D. The IgLON protein Lachesin is required for the blood-brain barrier in Drosophila. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2006;32:91-101 pubmed..Drosophila NeurexinIV and Gliotactin, two components of SJ, play an important role in nerve ensheathment and insulation...
- Oh S, Kato M, Zhang C, Guo Y, Beachy P. A Comparison of Ci/Gli Activity as Regulated by Sufu in Drosophila and Mammalian Hedgehog Response. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0135804 pubmed publisher..of fused (Su(fu)/Sufu), one of the most conserved components of the Hedgehog (Hh) signaling pathway, binds Ci/Gli transcription factors and impedes activation of target gene expression...