Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: fzy
Alias: BG:DS02740.14, CDC20, CG4274, Cdc20, Cdc20/Fizzy, Cdc20/Fzy, Cdc20[Fzy], Cdc20[fizzy], Dmel\CG4274, FZY, Fizzy, Fzy, Fzy/Cdc20, cdc20, cdc20/fizzy, dCDC20, dFZY, fizzy, CG4274-PA, Cdc20, fzy-PA
Species: fruit fly
- Raff J, Jeffers K, Huang J. The roles of Fzy/Cdc20 and Fzr/Cdh1 in regulating the destruction of cyclin B in space and time. J Cell Biol. 2002;157:1139-49 pubmed..We show that the APC/C regulators Fizzy (Fzy)/Cdc20 and Fzy-related (Fzr)/Cdh1 bind to microtubules in vitro and associate with spindles in vivo...
- Basu J, Bousbaa H, Logarinho E, Li Z, Williams B, Lopes C, et al. Mutations in the essential spindle checkpoint gene bub1 cause chromosome missegregation and fail to block apoptosis in Drosophila. J Cell Biol. 1999;146:13-28 pubmed..Bub1's localization to the kinetochore does not depend on the products of the genes zw10, rod, polo, or fizzy, indicating that the kinetochore is constructed from several independent subassemblies.
- Sigrist S, Jacobs H, Stratmann R, Lehner C. Exit from mitosis is regulated by Drosophila fizzy and the sequential destruction of cyclins A, B and B3. EMBO J. 1995;14:4827-38 pubmed..We show here that mutations in the Drosophila gene fizzy (fzy) block the mitotic degradation of these cyclins...
- Li D, Morley G, Whitaker M, Huang J. Recruitment of Cdc20 to the kinetochore requires BubR1 but not Mad2 in Drosophila melanogaster. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:3384-95 pubmed publisher..metaphase/anaphase transition by blocking the ubiquitylation and destruction of cyclin B and securin via the Cdc20-activated anaphase-promoting complex or cyclosome (APC/C)-mediated proteolysis pathway...
- Dawson I, Roth S, Artavanis Tsakonas S. The Drosophila cell cycle gene fizzy is required for normal degradation of cyclins A and B during mitosis and has homology to the CDC20 gene of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Cell Biol. 1995;129:725-37 pubmed..amino acids, the carboxy half of which has significant homology to the Saccharomyces cerevisiae cell cycle gene CDC20. A monoclonal antibody against fzy detects a single protein of the expected size, 59 kD, in embryonic extracts...
- Grosskortenhaus R, Sprenger F. Rca1 inhibits APC-Cdh1(Fzr) and is required to prevent cyclin degradation in G2. Dev Cell. 2002;2:29-40 pubmed..APC activity is restricted to mitotic stages and G1 by its activators Cdc20-Fizzy (Cdc20(Fzy)) and Cdh1-Fizzy-related (Cdh1(Fzr)), respectively...
- Swan A, Schupbach T. The Cdc20 (Fzy)/Cdh1-related protein, Cort, cooperates with Fzy in cyclin destruction and anaphase progression in meiosis I and II in Drosophila. Development. 2007;134:891-9 pubmed..The anaphase-promoting complex (APC) and a conserved APC adaptor, Cdc20 (also known as Fzy), are required for anaphase progression in mitotic cells...
- van Roessel P, Elliott D, Robinson I, Prokop A, Brand A. Independent regulation of synaptic size and activity by the anaphase-promoting complex. Cell. 2004;119:707-18 pubmed..In neurons, the APC/C controls synaptic size via a downstream effector Liprin-alpha; in muscles, the APC/C regulates synaptic transmission, controlling the concentration of a postsynaptic glutamate receptor. ..
- Slack C, Overton P, Tuxworth R, Chia W. Asymmetric localisation of Miranda and its cargo proteins during neuroblast division requires the anaphase-promoting complex/cyclosome. Development. 2007;134:3781-7 pubmed..Our results demonstrate that APC/C activity and ubiquitylation of Miranda are required for the asymmetric localisation of Miranda and its cargo proteins to the NB cortex. ..
- Savoian M, Rieder C. Mitosis in primary cultures of Drosophila melanogaster larval neuroblasts. J Cell Sci. 2002;115:3061-72 pubmed..5 minutes. Analysis of neuroblasts containing various GFP-tagged proteins (e.g. histone, fizzy, fizzy-related and alpha-tubulin) reveals that attaching kinetochores exhibit sudden, rapid pole-directed motions ..
- Oliveira R, Hamilton R, Pauli A, Davis I, Nasmyth K. Cohesin cleavage and Cdk inhibition trigger formation of daughter nuclei. Nat Cell Biol. 2010;12:185-92 pubmed publisher..We conclude that only two key events, opening of cohesin rings and downregulation of Cdk1, are sufficient to drive proper segregation of chromosomes in anaphase. ..
- Herriott A, Sweeney M, Whitaker M, Taggart M, Huang J. Kinetochore localized Mad2 and Cdc20 is itself insufficient for triggering the mitotic checkpoint when Mps1 is low in Drosophila melanogaster neuroblasts. Cell Cycle. 2012;11:4650-60 pubmed publisher..Here, we report the characterization of the in vivo behavior of Cdc20 and Mad2 and the relevant spindle assembly checkpoint (SAC) functions in the neuroblasts of a Drosophila Mps1 weak ..
- Dobie K, Hari K, Maggert K, Karpen G. Centromere proteins and chromosome inheritance: a complex affair. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 1999;9:206-17 pubmed..A picture is beginning to emerge of the centromere-kinetechore as a complex and dynamic structure with conservation of function at the protein level across diverse species. ..
- Whitfield Z, Chisholm J, Hawley R, Orr Weaver T. A meiosis-specific form of the APC/C promotes the oocyte-to-embryo transition by decreasing levels of the Polo kinase inhibitor matrimony. PLoS Biol. 2013;11:e1001648 pubmed publisher..These data indicate APC(Cort) ubiquitylates Mtrm at the oocyte-to-embryo transition, thus preventing excessive inhibition of Polo kinase activity due to Mtrm's presence. ..
- Siegrist S, Doe C. Microtubule-induced Pins/Galphai cortical polarity in Drosophila neuroblasts. Cell. 2005;123:1323-35 pubmed..These results identify a role for microtubules in polarizing the neuroblast cortex, a fundamental step for generating cell diversity through asymmetric cell division. ..
- Tao W, Zhang S, Turenchalk G, Stewart R, St John M, Chen W, et al. Human homologue of the Drosophila melanogaster lats tumour suppressor modulates CDC2 activity. Nat Genet. 1999;21:177-81 pubmed..These biochemical observations indicate that LATS is a novel negative regulator of CDC2/cyclin A, a finding supported by genetic data in Drosophila demonstrating that lats specifically interacts with cdc2 and cyclin A. ..
- Zhang D, Wang D, Sun F. Drosophila melanogaster heterochromatin protein HP1b plays important roles in transcriptional activation and development. Chromosoma. 2011;120:97-108 pubmed publisher..Overall, this study argues that HP1b counteracts HP1a function both in heterochromatin formation and in the transcriptional regulation of euchromatic genes. ..
- Su T, O Farrell P. Chromosome association of minichromosome maintenance proteins in Drosophila mitotic cycles. J Cell Biol. 1997;139:13-21 pubmed..We propose that cyclin E, inhibited by Dacapo in M16, promotes chromosome binding of MCMs. We suggest that cyclins have both positive and negative roles in controlling MCM-chromatin association. ..
- Roth S, Neuman Silberberg F, Barcelo G, Sch pbach T. cornichon and the EGF receptor signaling process are necessary for both anterior-posterior and dorsal-ventral pattern formation in Drosophila. Cell. 1995;81:967-78 pubmed
- Gaasterland T, Sczyrba A, Thomas E, Aytekin Kurban G, Gordon P, Sensen C. MAGPIE/EGRET annotation of the 2.9-Mb Drosophila melanogaster Adh region. Genome Res. 2000;10:502-10 pubmed..The software modules that add eukaryotic genome annotation capability to MAGPIE are available as EGRET (Eukaryotic Genome Rapid Evaluation Tool). ..
- Scaria G, Ramsay G, Katzen A. Two components of the Myb complex, DMyb and Mip130, are specifically associated with euchromatin and degraded during prometaphase throughout development. Mech Dev. 2008;125:646-61 pubmed publisher..the mechanism differs; although DMyb degradation is dependent on core APC/C components, it does not depend on the Fizzy or Fizzy-related adaptor proteins...
- Hammond S, Bernstein E, Beach D, Hannon G. An RNA-directed nuclease mediates post-transcriptional gene silencing in Drosophila cells. Nature. 2000;404:293-6 pubmed..After partial purification, the sequence-specific nuclease co-fractionates with a discrete, approximately 25-nucleotide RNA species which may confer specificity to the enzyme through homology to the substrate mRNAs. ..
- Vidwans S, Wong M, O Farrell P. Mitotic regulators govern progress through steps in the centrosome duplication cycle. J Cell Biol. 1999;147:1371-8 pubmed..b>Cdc20(fizzy), which is required for the metaphase-anaphase transition, is required for timely disengagement of mother ..
- Calzone L, Thieffry D, Tyson J, Novak B. Dynamical modeling of syncytial mitotic cycles in Drosophila embryos. Mol Syst Biol. 2007;3:131 pubmed..The model can be used to predict the phenotypes of novel mutations and effective ranges of the unmeasured rate constants and transport coefficients in the proposed mechanism. ..
- Conde C, Osswald M, Barbosa J, Moutinho Santos T, Pinheiro D, Guimaraes S, et al. Drosophila Polo regulates the spindle assembly checkpoint through Mps1-dependent BubR1 phosphorylation. EMBO J. 2013;32:1761-77 pubmed publisher..This is essential to allow recruitment of Cdc20 to unattached kinetochores and the assembly of anaphase-promoting complex/cyclosome-inhibitory complexes to levels ..
- Müller H, Fogeron M, Lehmann V, Lehrach H, Lange B. A centrosome-independent role for gamma-TuRC proteins in the spindle assembly checkpoint. Science. 2006;314:654-7 pubmed..However, their localization at the centrosome and centrosome integrity were not essential for this function. Thus, the spindle checkpoint can be activated at the level of microtubule nucleation. ..
- Papoulas O, Monzo K, Cantin G, Ruse C, Yates J, Ryu Y, et al. dFMRP and Caprin, translational regulators of synaptic plasticity, control the cell cycle at the Drosophila mid-blastula transition. Development. 2010;137:4201-9 pubmed publisher..These findings identify two new targets of dFMRP regulation and implicate conserved translational regulatory mechanisms in processes as diverse as learning, memory and early embryonic development. ..
- Meghini F, Martins T, Tait X, Fujimitsu K, Yamano H, Glover D, et al. Targeting of Fzr/Cdh1 for timely activation of the APC/C at the centrosome during mitotic exit. Nat Commun. 2016;7:12607 pubmed publisher..The interphase APC/C activator Fizzy-related (Fzr or Cdh1) is localized at centrosomes in animal cells...
- Reese M, Hartzell G, Harris N, Ohler U, Abril J, Lewis S. Genome annotation assessment in Drosophila melanogaster. Genome Res. 2000;10:483-501 pubmed
- Saint R, Patterson B. Zygotic transcription and cell proliferation during Drosophila embryogenesis. Genetica. 1993;90:157-63 pubmed..Genes that comprise the first class are involved in the developmental control of the cell cycle, while those of the second class identify components of the cell cycle machinery. ..
- Swan A, Barcelo G, Schupbach T. Drosophila Cks30A interacts with Cdk1 to target Cyclin A for destruction in the female germline. Development. 2005;132:3669-78 pubmed..appears to regulate Cyclin A levels through the activity of a female germline-specific anaphase-promoting complex, CDC20-Cortex...
- Ohlmeyer J, Schupbach T. Encore facilitates SCF-Ubiquitin-proteasome-dependent proteolysis during Drosophila oogenesis. Development. 2003;130:6339-49 pubmed
- Karess R. Rod-Zw10-Zwilch: a key player in the spindle checkpoint. Trends Cell Biol. 2005;15:386-92 pubmed..This review (which is part of the Chromosome Segregation and Aneuploidy series) covers recent developments in our understanding of RZZ dynamics and its function in the checkpoint. ..
- Acquaviva C, Pines J. The anaphase-promoting complex/cyclosome: APC/C. J Cell Sci. 2006;119:2401-4 pubmed
- Das A, Shah S, Fan B, Paik D, DiSanto D, Hinman A, et al. Spindle Assembly and Chromosome Segregation Requires Central Spindle Proteins in Drosophila Oocytes. Genetics. 2016;202:61-75 pubmed publisher..In combination our results support a model where the meiotic central spindle and associated proteins are essential for acentrosomal chromosome segregation. ..
- Buttitta L, Katzaroff A, Edgar B. A robust cell cycle control mechanism limits E2F-induced proliferation of terminally differentiated cells in vivo. J Cell Biol. 2010;189:981-96 pubmed publisher..These mechanisms are essential for proper development, as evading them leads to tissue outgrowths composed of dividing but terminally differentiated cells. ..
- Ohshiro T, Yagami T, Zhang C, Matsuzaki F. Role of cortical tumour-suppressor proteins in asymmetric division of Drosophila neuroblast. Nature. 2000;408:593-6 pubmed..Thus, Lgl and Dlg act in a common process that differentially mediates cortical protein targeting in mitotic neuroblasts, and that creates intrinsic differences between daughter cells. ..
- Chen D, Wang Q, Huang H, Xia L, Jiang X, Kan L, et al. Effete-mediated degradation of Cyclin A is essential for the maintenance of germline stem cells in Drosophila. Development. 2009;136:4133-42 pubmed publisher..Given that the regulation of mitotic Cyclins is evolutionarily conserved between flies and mammals, our study also implies that a similar mechanism may be conserved in mammals. ..
- Araki M, Yu H, Asano M. A novel motif governs APC-dependent degradation of Drosophila ORC1 in vivo. Genes Dev. 2005;19:2458-65 pubmed
- Derive N, Landmann C, Montembault E, Claverie M, Pierre Elies P, Goutte Gattat D, et al. Bub3-BubR1-dependent sequestration of Cdc20Fizzy at DNA breaks facilitates the correct segregation of broken chromosomes. J Cell Biol. 2015;211:517-32 pubmed publisher..We also find that Cdc20, a cofactor of the E3 ubiquitin ligase anaphase-promoting complex/cyclosome (APC/C), accumulates on DNA breaks in ..
- Philip A. Mitotic sister-chromatid separation: what Drosophila mutants can tell us. Trends Cell Biol. 1998;8:150 pubmed
- Price D, Jin Z, Rabinovitch S, Campbell S. Ectopic expression of the Drosophila Cdk1 inhibitory kinases, Wee1 and Myt1, interferes with the second mitotic wave and disrupts pattern formation during eye development. Genetics. 2002;161:721-31 pubmed..We also observed interactions with p53, which suggest that Wee1 and Myt1 activity can block apoptosis. ..
- Harper J, Burton J, Solomon M. The anaphase-promoting complex: it's not just for mitosis any more. Genes Dev. 2002;16:2179-206 pubmed
- Fung S, Ramsay G, Katzen A. MYB and CBP: physiological relevance of a biochemical interaction. Mech Dev. 2003;120:711-20 pubmed..Genetic interaction analysis reveals that these genes work together to promote mitosis, thereby demonstrating the physiological relevance of the biochemical interaction between the Myb and CBP proteins within a developing organism. ..
- Pandey R, Heeger S, Lehner C. Rapid effects of acute anoxia on spindle kinetochore interactions activate the mitotic spindle checkpoint. J Cell Sci. 2007;120:2807-18 pubmed..Although involving adenosine triphosphate (ATP)-consuming kinases, the spindle checkpoint can therefore be activated by spindle damage in response to acute anoxia and protect against aneuploidies. ..
- Peters J. Subunits and substrates of the anaphase-promoting complex. Exp Cell Res. 1999;248:339-49 pubmed..The APC also mediates the ubiquitin-dependent proteolysis of several other mitotic regulators, including other protein kinases, APC activators, spindle-associated proteins, and inhibitors of DNA replication. ..
- Eberl D, Ren D, Feng G, Lorenz L, Van Vactor D, Hall L. Genetic and developmental characterization of Dmca1D, a calcium channel alpha1 subunit gene in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1998;148:1159-69 pubmed..Those that do eclose have difficulty in fluid-filling of the wings. These studies show that this member of the calcium channel alpha1 subunit gene family plays a nonredundant, vital role in larvae and adults. ..
- Bergmann A, Stein D, Geisler R, Hagenmaier S, Schmid B, Fernandez N, et al. A gradient of cytoplasmic Cactus degradation establishes the nuclear localization gradient of the dorsal morphogen in Drosophila. Mech Dev. 1996;60:109-23 pubmed..Genetic evidence indicates that degradation of Cactus is required, but not sufficient to translocates Dorsal completely into the nucleus. ..
- Buckalew R, Finley K, Tanda S, Young T. Evidence for internuclear signaling in drosophila embryogenesis. Dev Dyn. 2015;244:1014-21 pubmed publisher..Our comparison with a coupled oscillator model leads us to conclude that internuclear signaling must be of Response/Signaling type with a positive impulse. ..
- Irniger S. Cyclin destruction in mitosis: a crucial task of Cdc20. FEBS Lett. 2002;532:7-11 pubmed..demonstrated that a partial degradation of the mitotic cyclin Clb2, mediated by APC/C and its activator protein Cdc20, is essential and sufficient for the mitotic exit...
- Park S, Asano M. Function of the origin recognition complex 1 (ORC1) outside DNA replication in Drosophila. Cell Cycle. 2011;10:3957-63 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results indicate the timing of ORC1 degradation is required for timely progression in M phase. ..
- Eaton S. Planar polarization of Drosophila and vertebrate epithelia. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 1997;9:860-6 pubmed..Advances in our understanding of the Frizzled pathway, which coordinates planar polarization in Drosophila, are moving the field closer to understanding the links between signal transduction and polarized cytoskeletal reorganization. ..
- Philp A, Glover D. Mutations affecting chromatid separation in Drosophila: the fizzy metaphase arrest persists in pimples fizzy and fizzy three rows double mutants. Exp Cell Res. 1997;230:103-10 pubmedMutations in the Drosophila genes three rows (thr), fizzy (fzy), and pimples (pim) block chromosome segregation in mitosis. fzy mutations also block cyclin degradation and affected cells become permanently arrested in metaphase...
- Araki M, Wharton R, Tang Z, Yu H, Asano M. Degradation of origin recognition complex large subunit by the anaphase-promoting complex in Drosophila. EMBO J. 2003;22:6115-26 pubmed..These observations suggest that in Drosophila, ORC1 regulates origin utilization much as does Cdc6 in budding yeast. ..