Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: fzo
Description: fuzzy onions
Alias: CG4568, Dmel\CG4568, Fzo, anon-WO0125274.1, anon-WO0125274.25, anon-WO0125274.26, fuzzy onions, CG4568-PA, fzo-PA
Species: fruit fly
- Baker C, Fuller M. Translational control of meiotic cell cycle progression and spermatid differentiation in male germ cells by a novel eIF4G homolog. Development. 2007;134:2863-9 pubmed..Although differentiation markers Dj and Fzo are expressed in late-stage eIF4G2 mutant germ cells, several key steps of spermatid differentiation fail, ..
- El Sharnouby S, Redhouse J, White R. Genome-wide and cell-specific epigenetic analysis challenges the role of polycomb in Drosophila spermatogenesis. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003842 pubmed publisher..The lack of Polycomb at tTAF-dependent spermatogenesis genes in precursor cells argues against a model where Polycomb displacement is the mechanism of spermatogenesis gene activation. ..
- Lu C, Kim J, Fuller M. The polyubiquitin gene Ubi-p63E is essential for male meiotic cell cycle progression and germ cell differentiation in Drosophila. Development. 2013;140:3522-31 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest a conserved role of polyubiquitin genes in male meiosis and a potential mechanism leading to meiosis I maturation arrest. ..
- Kwon S, Xiao H, Wu C, Badenhorst P. Alternative splicing of NURF301 generates distinct NURF chromatin remodeling complexes with altered modified histone binding specificities. PLoS Genet. 2009;5:e1000574 pubmed publisher..Our data reveal that variants of the NURF ATP-dependent chromatin remodeling complex that recognize post-translational histone modifications are important regulators of primary spermatocyte differentiation in Drosophila. ..
- Noguchi T, Koizumi M, Hayashi S. Sustained elongation of sperm tail promoted by local remodeling of giant mitochondria in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2011;21:805-14 pubmed publisher..Sperm cell elongation can proceed in the absence of an axoneme, suggesting that a mechanism besides intraflagellar transport emerged to sustain it...
- Yaffe M. Mitochondrial morphogenesis: fusion factor for fly fertility. Curr Biol. 1997;7:R782-3 pubmedThe Drosophila Fzo protein is required for mitochondrial fusion during a key step in sperm formation. This novel, membrane-bound GTPase defines a family of proteins that may mediate mitochondrial fusion in a variety of eukaryotic cells.
- Chen K, Guo X, Ma D, Guo Y, Li Q, Yang D, et al. Dysregulation of HSG triggers vascular proliferative disorders. Nat Cell Biol. 2004;6:872-83 pubmed..Thus, rHSG functions as a cell proliferation suppressor, whereas dysregulation of rHSG results in proliferative disorders. ..
- McQuibban G, Lee J, Zheng L, Juusola M, Freeman M. Normal mitochondrial dynamics requires rhomboid-7 and affects Drosophila lifespan and neuronal function. Curr Biol. 2006;16:982-9 pubmed..rhomboid-7 mutant flies also have a greatly reduced lifespan. ..
- Arama E, Agapite J, Steller H. Caspase activity and a specific cytochrome C are required for sperm differentiation in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2003;4:687-97 pubmed..These observations suggest that an apoptosis-like mechanism is required for spermatid differentiation in Drosophila. ..
- Vibranovski M, Lopes H, Karr T, Long M. Stage-specific expression profiling of Drosophila spermatogenesis suggests that meiotic sex chromosome inactivation drives genomic relocation of testis-expressed genes. PLoS Genet. 2009;5:e1000731 pubmed publisher..These results suggest MSCI as a general mechanism affecting the evolution of some testis-expressed genes. ..
- McGinnis N, Ragnhildstveit E, Veraksa A, McGinnis W. A cap 'n' collar protein isoform contains a selective Hox repressor function. Development. 1998;125:4553-64 pubmed..CncB provides a mechanism to modulate the specificity of Hox morphogenetic outcomes, which results in an increase in the segmental diversity in the Drosophila head. ..
- Deng H, Dodson M, Huang H, Guo M. The Parkinson's disease genes pink1 and parkin promote mitochondrial fission and/or inhibit fusion in Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:14503-8 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that pink1 and parkin are likely not core components of the drp1-mediated mitochondrial fission machinery. Modification of fusion and fission may represent a novel therapeutic strategy for Parkinson's disease. ..
- Paululat A, Holz A, Renkawitz Pohl R. Essential genes for myoblast fusion in Drosophila embryogenesis. Mech Dev. 1999;83:17-26 pubmed..The molecular characterization of further genes relevant for fusion such as singles bar and sticks and stones will help to elucidate the mechanism of myoblast fusion in Drosophila. ..
- Moon S, Cho B, Min S, Lee D, Chung Y. The THO complex is required for nucleolar integrity in Drosophila spermatocytes. Development. 2011;138:3835-45 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our study suggests that the Drosophila THO complex is necessary for proper spermatogenesis by contribution to the establishment or maintenance of nucleolar integrity rather than by nuclear mRNA export in spermatocytes...
- Leser K, Awe S, Barckmann B, Renkawitz Pohl R, Rathke C. The bromodomain-containing protein tBRD-1 is specifically expressed in spermatocytes and is essential for male fertility. Biol Open. 2012;1:597-606 pubmed publisher..By inhibitor treatment of cultured testis we observed that sub-cellular localisation of tBRD-1 may depend on the acetylation status of primary spermatocytes. ..
- Mozdy A, Shaw J. A fuzzy mitochondrial fusion apparatus comes into focus. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol. 2003;4:468-78 pubmed..These coordinated fusion events rely on a transmembrane GTPase that is known as fuzzy onions or Fzo...
- Yaffe M. The machinery of mitochondrial inheritance and behavior. Science. 1999;283:1493-7 pubmed..Characterization of the underlying molecular components of this machinery is providing insight into mechanisms regulating mitochondrial morphology and distribution. ..