Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: futsch
Alias: 22C10, 22C10/FUTSCH, 22C20, 22c10, CG14772, CG3064, CG34387, Dmel\CG34387, Dmel_CG14772, Dmel_CG3064, EG:49E4.1, FUTSCH, Futch, Futsch, MAP-IB, MAP1B, MAb22C10, Mab 22C10, Mab22C10, Mab22c10, Map-1B, Map1B, Olk, lincRNA.936, mAb 22C10, mAb-22C10, mAb22C10, mAb22c10, map1b, olk, ssC10, futsch, CG34387-PC, CG34387-PE, CG34387-PF, futch, futsch-PC, futsch-PE, futsch-PF, omb-like
Species: fruit fly
- Heidary G, Fortini M. Identification and characterization of the Drosophila tau homolog. Mech Dev. 2001;108:171-8 pubmed
- Holohan E, zur Lage P, Jarman A. Multiple enhancers contribute to spatial but not temporal complexity in the expression of the proneural gene, amos. BMC Dev Biol. 2006;6:53 pubmed..Despite similarities in function and expression between the Drosophila proneural genes, amos is regulated in a fundamentally different way from scute and atonal. ..
- zur Lage P, Prentice D, Holohan E, Jarman A. The Drosophila proneural gene amos promotes olfactory sensillum formation and suppresses bristle formation. Development. 2003;130:4683-93 pubmed..This supports a model of inhibitory interactions between proneural genes, whereby ato-like genes (amos and ato) must suppress sensory bristle fate as well as promote alternative sense organ subtypes...
- Wang X, Shaw W, Tsang H, Reid E, O Kane C. Drosophila spichthyin inhibits BMP signaling and regulates synaptic growth and axonal microtubules. Nat Neurosci. 2007;10:177-85 pubmed
- Llorens J, Navarro J, Martínez Sebastián M, Baylies M, Schneuwly S, Botella J, et al. Causative role of oxidative stress in a Drosophila model of Friedreich ataxia. FASEB J. 2007;21:333-44 pubmed..We propose that in FA, the oxidative mediated inactivation of aconitase, which occurs normally during the aging process, is enhanced due to the lack of frataxin. ..
- Chen F, Rebay I. split ends, a new component of the Drosophila EGF receptor pathway, regulates development of midline glial cells. Curr Biol. 2000;10:943-6 pubmed..Therefore, spen encodes a positively acting component of the DER/Ras signaling pathway. ..
- Xiong X, Wang X, Ewanek R, Bhat P, DiAntonio A, Collins C. Protein turnover of the Wallenda/DLK kinase regulates a retrograde response to axonal injury. J Cell Biol. 2010;191:211-23 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that the regulation of Wnd protein turnover by Hiw can function as a damage surveillance mechanism for responding to axonal injury. ..
- Palgi M, Lindström R, Peranen J, Piepponen T, Saarma M, Heino T. Evidence that DmMANF is an invertebrate neurotrophic factor supporting dopaminergic neurons. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:2429-34 pubmed publisher..The rescue experiments confirm DmMANF as a functional ortholog of the human MANF gene thus opening the window for comparative studies of this protein family with potential for the treatment of Parkinson's disease. ..
- Packard M, Koo E, Gorczyca M, Sharpe J, Cumberledge S, Budnik V. The Drosophila Wnt, wingless, provides an essential signal for pre- and postsynaptic differentiation. Cell. 2002;111:319-30 pubmed..We suggest that Wg signals the coordinated development of pre- and postsynaptic compartments. ..
- Udolph G, Rath P, Tio M, Toh J, Fang W, Pandey R, et al. On the roles of Notch, Delta, kuzbanian, and inscuteable during the development of Drosophila embryonic neuroblast lineages. Dev Biol. 2009;336:156-68 pubmed publisher..Thus, there is differential requirement for insc for cell fate specification depending on the stage of lineage progression of NBs. ..
- Huang M, Hsu C, Chien C. The proneural gene amos promotes multiple dendritic neuron formation in the Drosophila peripheral nervous system. Neuron. 2000;25:57-67 pubmed..Amos interacts with the ubiquitously expressed Daughter-less protein in vivo and in vitro. Our final misexpression experiments suggest that a domain located outside the DNA-binding domain of Amos determines the MD neuronal specificity. ..
- Newsome T, Asling B, Dickson B. Analysis of Drosophila photoreceptor axon guidance in eye-specific mosaics. Development. 2000;127:851-60 pubmed..Rather, we suggest that PTP69D plays a permissive role, perhaps reducing the adhesion of R1-R6 and R7 growth cones to the pioneer R8 axon so that they can respond independently to their specific targeting cues. ..
- Pielage J, Fetter R, Davis G. Presynaptic spectrin is essential for synapse stabilization. Curr Biol. 2005;15:918-28 pubmed..Our data suggest that presynaptic spectrin functions as an essential presynaptic scaffold that may link synaptic cell adhesion with the stabilization of the underlying microtubule cytoskeleton. ..
- Sherwood N, Sun Q, Xue M, Zhang B, Zinn K. Drosophila spastin regulates synaptic microtubule networks and is required for normal motor function. PLoS Biol. 2004;2:e429 pubmed
- Pack Chung E, Kurshan P, Dickman D, Schwarz T. A Drosophila kinesin required for synaptic bouton formation and synaptic vesicle transport. Nat Neurosci. 2007;10:980-9 pubmed..Our data thus indicate that Imac transports components required for synaptic maturation and provide insight into presynaptic maturation as a process that can be differentiated from axon outgrowth and targeting. ..
- Dumstrei K, Wang F, Shy D, Tepass U, Hartenstein V. Interaction between EGFR signaling and DE-cadherin during nervous system morphogenesis. Development. 2002;129:3983-94 pubmed..Finally, EGFR can be co-immunoprecipitated with anti-DE-cadherin and anti-Armadillo antibodies from embryonic protein extracts. We propose that EGFR signaling plays a role in morphogenesis by modulating cell adhesion. ..
- Kuang B, Wu S, Shin Y, Luo L, Kolodziej P. split ends encodes large nuclear proteins that regulate neuronal cell fate and axon extension in the Drosophila embryo. Development. 2000;127:1517-29 pubmed..We propose that Spen proteins regulate the expression of key effectors of signaling pathways required to specify neuronal cell fate and morphology. ..
- zur Lage P, Powell L, Prentice D, McLaughlin P, Jarman A. EGF receptor signaling triggers recruitment of Drosophila sense organ precursors by stimulating proneural gene autoregulation. Dev Cell. 2004;7:687-96 pubmed publisher..This exemplifies a simple and general mechanism for regulating the transition from competence to cell fate commitment whereby a cell signal directly targets the autoregulation of a selector gene...
- White N, Jarman A. Drosophila atonal controls photoreceptor R8-specific properties and modulates both receptor tyrosine kinase and Hedgehog signalling. Development. 2000;127:1681-9 pubmed..Our results strongly suggest that Atonal regulates signalling and other properties of R8 precursors. ..
- Vandaele C, Coulon Bublex M, Couble P, Durand B. Drosophila regulatory factor X is an embryonic type I sensory neuron marker also expressed in spermatids and in the brain of Drosophila. Mech Dev. 2001;103:159-62 pubmed..In addition, dRFX is also detected in the brain throughout development and in spermatids in adult flies. ..
- Lai E, Orgogozo V. A hidden program in Drosophila peripheral neurogenesis revealed: fundamental principles underlying sensory organ diversity. Dev Biol. 2004;269:1-17 pubmed..We propose that most Drosophila sensory organs are built from an archetypal lineage, and we speculate about how this stereotyped pattern of cell divisions may have been built during evolution...
- Viquez N, Li C, Wairkar Y, DiAntonio A. The B' protein phosphatase 2A regulatory subunit well-rounded regulates synaptic growth and cytoskeletal stability at the Drosophila neuromuscular junction. J Neurosci. 2006;26:9293-303 pubmed..Hence, wrd promotes the function of PP2A and is required for normal cytoskeletal organization, synaptic growth, and synaptic function at the Drosophila NMJ...
- Hummel T, Leifker K, Klämbt C. The Drosophila HEM-2/NAP1 homolog KETTE controls axonal pathfinding and cytoskeletal organization. Genes Dev. 2000;14:863-73 pubmed..In addition, the kette mutant phenotype can be partially rescued by expression of an activated DRAC1 transgene. Our data suggest an important role of the HEM-2 protein in cytoskeletal organization during axonal pathfinding. ..
- Ashley J, Packard M, Ataman B, Budnik V. Fasciclin II signals new synapse formation through amyloid precursor protein and the scaffolding protein dX11/Mint. J Neurosci. 2005;25:5943-55 pubmed..These results provide a novel mechanism by which cell adhesion molecules are regulated and provide fresh insights into the normal operation of APP during synapse development. ..
- Goulding S, White N, Jarman A. cato encodes a basic helix-loop-helix transcription factor implicated in the correct differentiation of Drosophila sense organs. Dev Biol. 2000;221:120-31 pubmed..Moreover, in prospero mutants, in which axon and dendrite outgrowth is defective, cato is strongly derepressed in the developing CNS. ..
- Schmucker D, Clemens J, Shu H, Worby C, Xiao J, Muda M, et al. Drosophila Dscam is an axon guidance receptor exhibiting extraordinary molecular diversity. Cell. 2000;101:671-84 pubmed..Alternative splicing can potentially generate more than 38,000 Dscam isoforms. This molecular diversity may contribute to the specificity of neuronal connectivity. ..
- Villa Cuesta E, de Navascués J, Ruiz Gomez M, Diez del Corral R, Dominguez M, de Celis J, et al. Tufted is a gain-of-function allele that promotes ectopic expression of the proneural gene amos in Drosophila. Genetics. 2003;163:1403-12 pubmed..This ability might be related to the wild-type function of amos in promoting development of large clusters of closely spaced olfactory sensilla. ..
- Dockendorff T, Su H, McBride S, Yang Z, Choi C, Siwicki K, et al. Drosophila lacking dfmr1 activity show defects in circadian output and fail to maintain courtship interest. Neuron. 2002;34:973-84 pubmed..Morphological analysis of neurons required for normal circadian behavior reveals subtle abnormalities, suggesting that defects in axonal pathfinding or synapse formation may cause the observed behavioral defects. ..
- Wentzell J, Bolkan B, Carmine Simmen K, Swanson T, Musashe D, Kretzschmar D. Amyloid precursor proteins are protective in Drosophila models of progressive neurodegeneration. Neurobiol Dis. 2012;46:78-87 pubmed publisher..Because we show protective effects in mutants that affect different genes (AMP-activated protein kinase, MAP1b, rasGAP), we propose that the protective effect is not due to a genetic interaction between APPL and these genes ..
- Orian A, Delrow J, Rosales Nieves A, Abed M, Metzger D, Paroush Z, et al. A Myc-Groucho complex integrates EGF and Notch signaling to regulate neural development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:15771-6 pubmed..Our results suggest that the dMyc-Groucho complex defines a previously undescribed mechanism of Myc function and may serve as the transcriptional unit that integrates EGF and Notch inputs to regulate early neuronal development. ..
- Bettencourt Da Cruz A, Schwarzel M, Schulze S, Niyyati M, Heisenberg M, Kretzschmar D. Disruption of the MAP1B-related protein FUTSCH leads to changes in the neuronal cytoskeleton, axonal transport defects, and progressive neurodegeneration in Drosophila. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:2433-42 pubmed..Here we show that Futsch, the fly homolog of MAP1B, is involved in progressive neurodegeneration...
- Koh T, Verstreken P, Bellen H. Dap160/intersectin acts as a stabilizing scaffold required for synaptic development and vesicle endocytosis. Neuron. 2004;43:193-205 pubmed..Our data suggest that Dap160, like dynamin, is involved in synaptic vesicle retrieval at active and periactive zones. ..
- Nolo R, Abbott L, Bellen H. Senseless, a Zn finger transcription factor, is necessary and sufficient for sensory organ development in Drosophila. Cell. 2000;102:349-62 pubmed..Sens is then in turn required to further activate and maintain proneural gene expression. This feedback mechanism is essential for selective enhancement and maintenance of proneural gene expression in the SOPs. ..
- Han Y, Kwok B, Kernan M. Intraflagellar transport is required in Drosophila to differentiate sensory cilia but not sperm. Curr Biol. 2003;13:1679-86 pubmed..NOMPB, the Drosophila homolog of IFT88, is required for the assembly of sensory cilia but not for the extension or function of the sperm flagellum. Assembly of this extremely long axoneme is therefore independent of IFT. ..
- Dubruille R, Laurencon A, Vandaele C, Shishido E, Coulon Bublex M, Swoboda P, et al. Drosophila regulatory factor X is necessary for ciliated sensory neuron differentiation. Development. 2002;129:5487-98 pubmed..These results identify Rfx as an essential regulator of ciliated sensory neuron differentiation in Drosophila. ..
- Jinushi Nakao S, Arvind R, Amikura R, Kinameri E, Liu A, Moore A. Knot/Collier and cut control different aspects of dendrite cytoskeleton and synergize to define final arbor shape. Neuron. 2007;56:963-78 pubmed..Hence, this study gives significant general insight into how multiple transcription factors combine to control class-specific dendritic arbor morphology through controlling different aspects of the cytoskeleton. ..
- Song W, Ranjan R, Dawson Scully K, Bronk P, Marin L, Seroude L, et al. Presynaptic regulation of neurotransmission in Drosophila by the g protein-coupled receptor methuselah. Neuron. 2002;36:105-19 pubmed..Conditional expression of Mth restored normal release and normal vesicle docking and clustering but not the reduced size of synaptic sites, suggesting that Mth acutely adjusts vesicle trafficking to synaptic sites. ..
- Mosca T, Schwarz T. The nuclear import of Frizzled2-C by Importins-beta11 and alpha2 promotes postsynaptic development. Nat Neurosci. 2010;13:935-43 pubmed publisher..Thus, Wnt-activated growth of the postsynaptic membrane is mediated by the synapse-to-nucleus translocation and active nuclear import of Fz2-C via a selective Importin-beta11/alpha2 pathway. ..
- Monzo K, Papoulas O, Cantin G, Wang Y, Yates J, Sisson J. Fragile X mental retardation protein controls trailer hitch expression and cleavage furrow formation in Drosophila embryos. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:18160-5 pubmed..Together, these data suggest that in cleavage-stage Drosophila embryos, dFMRP affects protein expression by controlling the availability and/or competency of specific transcripts to be translated. ..
- Koch I, Schwarz H, Beuchle D, Goellner B, Langegger M, Aberle H. Drosophila ankyrin 2 is required for synaptic stability. Neuron. 2008;58:210-22 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, Ank2 functions downstream of spectrin in the anchorage of synaptic microtubules, providing the cytoskeletal scaffold that is essential for synaptic stability. ..
- Rusten T, Cantera R, Urban J, Technau G, Kafatos F, Barrio R. Spalt modifies EGFR-mediated induction of chordotonal precursors in the embryonic PNS of Drosophila promoting the development of oenocytes. Development. 2001;128:711-22 pubmed
- Reeve S, Bassetto L, Genova G, Kleyner Y, Leyssen M, Jackson F, et al. The Drosophila fragile X mental retardation protein controls actin dynamics by directly regulating profilin in the brain. Curr Biol. 2005;15:1156-63 pubmed..An increase in Profilin mimics the phenotype of dfmr1 mutants. Conversely, decreasing Profilin levels suppresses dfmr1 phenotypes. These data place a new emphasis on actin misregulation as a major problem in fmr1 mutant neurons. ..
- Cachero S, Simpson T, zur Lage P, Ma L, Newton F, Holohan E, et al. The gene regulatory cascade linking proneural specification with differentiation in Drosophila sensory neurons. PLoS Biol. 2011;9:e1000568 pubmed publisher..In addition, it provides a paradigm for how transcriptional regulation may modulate the ciliogenesis pathway to give rise to structurally and functionally specialised ciliary dendrites. ..
- Ataman B, Ashley J, Gorczyca D, Gorczyca M, Mathew D, Wichmann C, et al. Nuclear trafficking of Drosophila Frizzled-2 during synapse development requires the PDZ protein dGRIP. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:7841-6 pubmed..These results provide a mechanism by which DFz2 is transported from the postsynaptic membrane to the postsynaptic nucleus during synapse formation and implicate dGRIP as an essential molecule in the transport of this signal. ..
- Bessa J, Casares F. Restricted teashirt expression confers eye-specific responsiveness to Dpp and Wg signals during eye specification in Drosophila. Development. 2005;132:5011-20 pubmed..Under these conditions, though, terminal eye differentiation proceeds only if tsh expression is transient. ..
- Pawson C, Eaton B, Davis G. Formin-dependent synaptic growth: evidence that Dlar signals via Diaphanous to modulate synaptic actin and dynamic pioneer microtubules. J Neurosci. 2008;28:11111-23 pubmed publisher..within the NMJ that are distinct from the bundled core of microtubules identified by the MAP1b-like protein Futsch. Defects in both synaptic actin and dynamic pioneer microtubules are correlated with impaired synaptic growth in ..
- Elstob P, Brodu V, Gould A. spalt-dependent switching between two cell fates that are induced by the Drosophila EGF receptor. Development. 2001;128:723-32 pubmed..Together, these studies help to explain how one generic signaling pathway can trigger the differentiation of two distinct cell types. ..
- Mehnert K, Beramendi A, Elghazali F, Negro P, Kyriacou C, Cantera R. Circadian changes in Drosophila motor terminals. Dev Neurobiol. 2007;67:415-21 pubmed..These unexpected results reveal further circadian as well as nonclock related pleiotropic effects for these classic behavioral mutants. ..
- Goulding S, zur Lage P, Jarman A. amos, a proneural gene for Drosophila olfactory sense organs that is regulated by lozenge. Neuron. 2000;25:69-78 pubmed..We present evidence that amos is required for olfactory sensilla and is regulated by the prepattern gene lozenge. Between them, amos, atonal, and the AS-C can potentially account for the origin of the entire PNS. ..
- Niwa N, Hiromi Y, Okabe M. A conserved developmental program for sensory organ formation in Drosophila melanogaster. Nat Genet. 2004;36:293-7 pubmed..Our findings strongly suggest that various sensory organs evolved from an ato-dependent protosensory organ through segment specification by ey and Hox genes. ..
- Cheng L, Song W, Looger L, Jan L, Jan Y. The role of the TRP channel NompC in Drosophila larval and adult locomotion. Neuron. 2010;67:373-80 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our findings suggest that NompC mediates proprioception in locomotion and support its role as a mechanosensitive channel. ..
- Forrest S, Chai A, Sanhueza M, Marescotti M, Parry K, Georgiev A, et al. Increased levels of phosphoinositides cause neurodegeneration in a Drosophila model of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Hum Mol Genet. 2013;22:2689-704 pubmed publisher..These data underscore the importance of DVAP-Sac1 interaction in controlling phosphoinositide metabolism and provide mechanistic evidence for a crucial role of phosphoinositide levels in VAP-induced ALS. ..
- Eaton B, Fetter R, Davis G. Dynactin is necessary for synapse stabilization. Neuron. 2002;34:729-41 pubmed..Our data suggests that dynactin functions locally within the presynaptic arbor to promote synapse stability. ..
- Pielage J, Cheng L, Fetter R, Carlton P, Sedat J, Davis G. A presynaptic giant ankyrin stabilizes the NMJ through regulation of presynaptic microtubules and transsynaptic cell adhesion. Neuron. 2008;58:195-209 pubmed publisher..We propose that a presynaptic Ank2-L lattice links synaptic membrane proteins and spectrin to the underlying microtubule cytoskeleton to organize and stabilize the presynaptic terminal. ..
- Mendoza C, Olguin P, Lafferte G, Thomas U, Ebitsch S, Gundelfinger E, et al. Novel isoforms of Dlg are fundamental for neuronal development in Drosophila. J Neurosci. 2003;23:2093-101 pubmed..During embryonic development, proteins that include the S97N domain are essential for proper neuronal differentiation and organization, acting through mechanisms that may include the adequate localization of cell fate determinants. ..
- Sanyal S. Genomic mapping and expression patterns of C380, OK6 and D42 enhancer trap lines in the larval nervous system of Drosophila. Gene Expr Patterns. 2009;9:371-80 pubmed publisher..three P-element transposon insertion, C380, (BG380), OK6, and D42, shows that these insertions lie upstream of the futsch, Rapgap 1 and toll-6 gene, respectively ...
- Viquez N, Füger P, Valakh V, Daniels R, Rasse T, DiAntonio A. PP2A and GSK-3beta act antagonistically to regulate active zone development. J Neurosci. 2009;29:11484-94 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that PP2A and GSK-3beta function antagonistically to control active zone development, providing a potential mechanism for regulating synaptic efficacy at a single release site. ..
- Roos J, Hummel T, Ng N, Klämbt C, Davis G. Drosophila Futsch regulates synaptic microtubule organization and is necessary for synaptic growth. Neuron. 2000;26:371-82 pubmedWe present evidence that Futsch, a novel protein with MAP1B homology, controls synaptic growth at the Drosophila neuromuscularjunction through the regulation of the synaptic microtubule cytoskeleton...
- Marques G, Bao H, Haerry T, Shimell M, Duchek P, Zhang B, et al. The Drosophila BMP type II receptor Wishful Thinking regulates neuromuscular synapse morphology and function. Neuron. 2002;33:529-43 pubmed..These results reveal a novel role for BMP signaling in regulating Drosophila neuromuscular junction synapse assembly and activity and may indicate that similar pathways could govern vertebrate synapse development. ..
- Schulte J, Sepp K, Jorquera R, Wu C, Song Y, Hong P, et al. DMob4/Phocein regulates synapse formation, axonal transport, and microtubule organization. J Neurosci. 2010;30:5189-203 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest a novel role for Phocein proteins in the regulation of axonal transport, neurite elongation, synapse formation, and microtubule organization...
- Fujioka M, Lear B, Landgraf M, Yusibova G, Zhou J, Riley K, et al. Even-skipped, acting as a repressor, regulates axonal projections in Drosophila. Development. 2003;130:5385-400 pubmed..Finally, homologues of Eve from diverse species were able to rescue the eve mutant phenotype, indicating conservation of both targeting and repression functions in the nervous system. ..
- Yano H, Yamamoto Hino M, Abe M, Kuwahara R, Haraguchi S, Kusaka I, et al. Distinct functional units of the Golgi complex in Drosophila cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:13467-72 pubmed..We propose that the different localizations among distinct Golgi units of molecules involved in glycosylation underlie the diversity of glycan modification. ..
- Meyer C, Kramer I, Dittrich R, Marzodko S, Emmerich J, Lehner C. Drosophila p27Dacapo expression during embryogenesis is controlled by a complex regulatory region independent of cell cycle progression. Development. 2002;129:319-28 pubmed..The dacapo regulatory region includes many independent cis-regulatory elements. The elements that control epidermal expression integrate developmental cues that time the arrest of cell proliferation...
- Ben Yaacov S, Le Borgne R, Abramson I, Schweisguth F, Schejter E. Wasp, the Drosophila Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome gene homologue, is required for cell fate decisions mediated by Notch signaling. J Cell Biol. 2001;152:1-13 pubmed..The nature of the Wsp mutant phenotypes, coupled with genetic interaction studies, identifies an essential role for Wsp in lineage decisions mediated by the Notch signaling pathway. ..
- Miller K, DeProto J, Kaufmann N, Patel B, Duckworth A, Van Vactor D. Direct observation demonstrates that Liprin-alpha is required for trafficking of synaptic vesicles. Curr Biol. 2005;15:684-9 pubmed..It suggests the synaptic strength and morphology defects linked to Liprin-alpha may in part be due to a failure in the delivery of synaptic-vesicle precursors. ..
- Hummel T, Krukkert K, Roos J, Davis G, Klämbt C. Drosophila Futsch/22C10 is a MAP1B-like protein required for dendritic and axonal development. Neuron. 2000;26:357-70 pubmedHere we report the description of the Drosophila gene futsch, which encodes a protein recognized by the monoclonal antibody 22C10 that has been widely used to visualize neuronal morphology and axonal projections...
- Singh A, Choi K. Initial state of the Drosophila eye before dorsoventral specification is equivalent to ventral. Development. 2003;130:6351-60 pubmed..Therefore, we propose that early state of the eye prior to DV lineage restriction is equivalent to ventral and requires L and Ser gene function. ..