Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: fs(1)Yb
Description: female sterile (1) Yb
Alias: CG2706, Dmel\CG2706, EG:95B7.8, fs(1)M104, fs(1)Y[b], nov, female sterile (1) Yb, CG2706-PA, female sterile(1)M104, female sterile(1)Yb, fs(1)Yb-PA, no ovaries
Species: fruit fly
- Lin H. The stem-cell niche theory: lessons from flies. Nat Rev Genet. 2002;3:931-40 pubmed..These findings are illuminating our understanding of the self-renewing mechanisms of tissue stem cells in general. ..
- King F, Szakmary A, Cox D, Lin H. Yb modulates the divisions of both germline and somatic stem cells through piwi- and hh-mediated mechanisms in the Drosophila ovary. Mol Cell. 2001;7:497-508 pubmed..We also show that Yb acts via the piwi- and hh-mediated signaling pathways that emanate from the same signaling cells to control GSC and SSC division, respectively. hh signaling also has a minor effect in GSC division. ..
- Gaszner M, Vazquez J, Schedl P. The Zw5 protein, a component of the scs chromatin domain boundary, is able to block enhancer-promoter interaction. Genes Dev. 1999;13:2098-107 pubmed..We show that SBP is encoded by the zeste-white 5 gene and that mutations in zeste-white 5 reduce the enhancer-blocking activity of the multimerized oligonucleotides...
- Smulders Srinivasan T, Szakmary A, Lin H. A Drosophila chromatin factor interacts with the Piwi-interacting RNA mechanism in niche cells to regulate germline stem cell self-renewal. Genetics. 2010;186:573-83 pubmed publisher..These results reveal a novel epigenetic mechanism involving Corto and Piwi that defines the fate and signaling function of niche cells in maintaining GSCs. ..
- Jones L. Stem cells: so what's in a niche?. Curr Biol. 2001;11:R484-6 pubmed..Recent studies have identified a signaling hierarchy involved in coordinating the proliferation of germ line and somatic stem cells in the Drosophila ovary. ..
- Mugat B, Akkouche A, Serrano V, Armenise C, Li B, Brun C, et al. MicroRNA-Dependent Transcriptional Silencing of Transposable Elements in Drosophila Follicle Cells. PLoS Genet. 2015;11:e1005194 pubmed publisher..This work is one of the examples of detectable phenotypes caused by loss of individual miRNAs in Drosophila and the first genetic evidence that miRNAs have a role in the maintenance of genome stability via piRNA-mediated TE repression. ..
- Lin H, Wolfner M. Cloning and analysis of fs(1) Ya, a maternal effect gene required for the initiation of Drosophila embryogenesis. Mol Gen Genet. 1989;215:257-65 pubmed..The transcript is not detected in later stages of embryonic development. This expression pattern correlates closely with the genetic and developmental characteristics expected of the fs(1) Ya gene product. ..
- Olivieri D, Senti K, Subramanian S, Sachidanandam R, Brennecke J. The cochaperone shutdown defines a group of biogenesis factors essential for all piRNA populations in Drosophila. Mol Cell. 2012;47:954-69 pubmed publisher..Together with data on how PIWI proteins are wired into primary and secondary processing, we propose a unified model for piRNA biogenesis. ..
- Nystul T, Spradling A. Breaking out of the mold: diversity within adult stem cells and their niches. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 2006;16:463-8 pubmed..Understanding how stem cells and their progeny are controlled will illuminate fundamental biological mechanisms that govern the construction and maintenance of tissues within metazoan animals. ..
- Judd B. Genes and chromomeres: A puzzle in three dimensions. Genetics. 1998;150:1-9 pubmed
- Liu J, Song K, Wolfner M. Mutational analyses of fs(1)Ya, an essential, developmentally regulated, nuclear envelope protein in Drosophila. Genetics. 1995;141:1473-81 pubmed..Two leaky Ya alleles that partially complement have lesions at opposite ends of the YA protein, suggesting that the N- and C-termini are important for YA function and that YA might interact with itself either directly or indirectly. ..
- Lin H, Wolfner M. The Drosophila maternal-effect gene fs(1)Ya encodes a cell cycle-dependent nuclear envelope component required for embryonic mitosis. Cell. 1991;64:49-62 pubmed..These results suggest that the fs(1)Ya protein is a cell cycle-dependent component of the nuclear envelope that specifically functions in embryonic mitosis. ..
- Darricarrère N, Liu N, Watanabe T, Lin H. Function of Piwi, a nuclear Piwi/Argonaute protein, is independent of its slicer activity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:1297-302 pubmed publisher..Instead, it is consistent with the alternative mode of Piwi function as a molecule involved in the piRNA-directed guidance of epigenetic factors to chromatin. ..
- Dennis C, Zanni V, Brasset E, Eymery A, Zhang L, Mteirek R, et al. "Dot COM", a nuclear transit center for the primary piRNA pathway in Drosophila. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e72752 pubmed publisher..Our results provide new insights into the initial steps of the piRNA pathway, and open up a new research area important for a complete understanding of this conserved pathway. ..
- Hayashi R, Handler D, Ish Horowicz D, Brennecke J. The exon junction complex is required for definition and excision of neighboring introns in Drosophila. Genes Dev. 2014;28:1772-85 pubmed publisher..Based on a transcriptome-wide analysis, we propose that the dependency of splicing on the EJC is exploited as a means to control the temporal order of splicing events. ..
- Goriaux C, Théron E, Brasset E, Vaury C. History of the discovery of a master locus producing piRNAs: the flamenco/COM locus in Drosophila melanogaster. Front Genet. 2014;5:257 pubmed publisher..Here we review the first discovery of this locus and retrace decades of studies that led to our current understanding of the relationship between genomes and their TE targets. ..
- Thierry Mieg D. Paralog, a control mutant in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1982;100:209-37 pubmed..We interpret the data by postulating that the expression of sets of dispersed genes might be controlled by the local topology of the chromosome, itself constrained by pairing of dispersed repeated elements. We call the mutation paralog. ..
- Ishizu H, Iwasaki Y, Hirakata S, Ozaki H, Iwasaki W, Siomi H, et al. Somatic Primary piRNA Biogenesis Driven by cis-Acting RNA Elements and trans-Acting Yb. Cell Rep. 2015;12:429-40 pubmed publisher..We thus propose that Yb determines primary piRNA sources through two modes of action: primary binding to cis elements to specify substrates and secondary binding to downstream regions to increase diversity in piRNA populations. ..
- Lin H. The tao of stem cells in the germline. Annu Rev Genet. 1997;31:455-91 pubmed..In addition, the GSC mechanism is related to that for germline and sex determination. Current knowledge has provided a solid framework for further study of GSCs and stem cells in general. ..
- Juhola M, Shah Z, Grivell L, Jacobs H. The mitochondrial inner membrane AAA metalloprotease family in metazoans. FEBS Lett. 2000;481:91-5 pubmed..A full elucidation of the cellular and physiological roles of mt-AAA metalloproteases in metazoans will require the creation of targeted mutations. ..
- Murota Y, Ishizu H, Nakagawa S, Iwasaki Y, Shibata S, Kamatani M, et al. Yb integrates piRNA intermediates and processing factors into perinuclear bodies to enhance piRISC assembly. Cell Rep. 2014;8:103-13 pubmed publisher..We suggest that Yb is a key upstream factor in the cytoplasmic phase of the piRNA pathway in ovarian somatic cells. ..
- Flores H, DuMont V, Fatoo A, Hubbard D, Hijji M, Barbash D, et al. Adaptive evolution of genes involved in the regulation of germline stem cells in Drosophila melanogaster and D. simulans. G3 (Bethesda). 2015;5:583-92 pubmed publisher..05. These genes play diverse roles in the regulation of germline stem cells, suggesting that positive selection in response to several evolutionary pressures may be acting to drive the adaptive evolution of these genes. ..
- Pandey R, Homolka D, Chen K, Sachidanandam R, Fauvarque M, Pillai R. Recruitment of Armitage and Yb to a transcript triggers its phased processing into primary piRNAs in Drosophila ovaries. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1006956 pubmed publisher..We conclude that transcripts bound by Armi and Yb are identified as piRNA precursors, resulting in localization to cytoplasmic processing granules and their subsequent engagement by the resident piRNA biogenesis machinery. ..
- Spradling A, Drummond Barbosa D, Kai T. Stem cells find their niche. Nature. 2001;414:98-104 pubmed..These studies are beginning to unify our understanding of stem cell regulation at the cellular and molecular levels, and promise to advance efforts to use stem cells therapeutically. ..
- Vagin V, Yu Y, Jankowska A, Luo Y, Wasik K, Malone C, et al. Minotaur is critical for primary piRNA biogenesis. RNA. 2013;19:1064-77 pubmed publisher..We have named this new biogenesis factor Minotaur. ..
- González Reyes A. Stem cells, niches and cadherins: a view from Drosophila. J Cell Sci. 2003;116:949-54 pubmed..Recent work shows that DE-cadherin-mediated adhesion is used for the initial recruitment and posterior anchoring of the germline-derived stem cells in their niche. ..