Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: fs(1)K10
Description: female sterile (1) K10
Alias: CG3218, Dmel\CG3218, EG:30B8.5, K-10, K10, f(s)K10, fs(1)M9, fs(1)k10, k10, female sterile (1) K10, CG3218-PA, fs(1)K10-PA
Species: fruit fly
- Norvell A, Kelley R, Wehr K, Schupbach T. Specific isoforms of squid, a Drosophila hnRNP, perform distinct roles in Gurken localization during oogenesis. Genes Dev. 1999;13:864-76 pubmed..These results demonstrate the isoform-specific contributions of individual hnRNP proteins in the regulation of a specific mRNA. Moreover, these data suggest a novel role for hnRNPs in localization and translational regulation of mRNAs. ..
- Bullock S, Ringel I, Ish Horowicz D, Lukavsky P. A'-form RNA helices are required for cytoplasmic mRNA transport in Drosophila. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2010;17:703-9 pubmed publisher..The Drosophila melanogaster fs(1)K10 signal, which mediates transport by the dynein motor, forms a stem loop with two double-stranded RNA helices ..
- Saunders C, Cohen R. The role of oocyte transcription, the 5'UTR, and translation repression and derepression in Drosophila gurken mRNA and protein localization. Mol Cell. 1999;3:43-54 pubmed..We also show that gurken mRNA and protein localization is dependent on region-specific translation of gurken transcripts and identify K10 as a probable negative regulator of gurken translation.
- Rom I, Faicevici A, Almog O, Neuman Silberberg F. Drosophila Dynein light chain (DDLC1) binds to gurken mRNA and is required for its localization. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2007;1773:1526-33 pubmed..Phenotypic analysis of ddlc1 mutants supports a role for DDLC1 in gurken RNA localization and anchoring as well as in correct positioning of the oocyte nucleus. ..
- Dollar G, Struckhoff E, Michaud J, Cohen R. Rab11 polarization of the Drosophila oocyte: a novel link between membrane trafficking, microtubule organization, and oskar mRNA localization and translation. Development. 2002;129:517-26 pubmed..We propose that microtubule plus ends and, possibly, translation factors for osk mRNA are anchored to posterior membrane compartments that are defined by Rab11-mediated trafficking and reinforced by Rab11-Osk interactions. ..
- Amrute Nayak M, Bullock S. Single-molecule assays reveal that RNA localization signals regulate dynein-dynactin copy number on individual transcript cargoes. Nat Cell Biol. 2012;14:416-23 pubmed publisher..Our findings lead to a model in which RNA localization signals produce highly polarized distributions of transcript populations through modest changes in motor copy number on single mRNA molecules. ..
- Dienstbier M, Boehl F, Li X, Bullock S. Egalitarian is a selective RNA-binding protein linking mRNA localization signals to the dynein motor. Genes Dev. 2009;23:1546-58 pubmed publisher..that are abundantly and specifically enriched on RNA localization signals from transcripts of gurken, hairy, K10, and the I factor retrotransposon...
- Jaramillo A, Weil T, Goodhouse J, Gavis E, Schupbach T. The dynamics of fluorescently labeled endogenous gurken mRNA in Drosophila. J Cell Sci. 2008;121:887-94 pubmed publisher..This difference in dynamics is attenuated in K10 and sqd(1) mutants such that mislocalized grk mRNA in older stages is much more dynamic compared with that in wild-..
- Bullock S, Ish Horowicz D. Conserved signals and machinery for RNA transport in Drosophila oogenesis and embryogenesis. Nature. 2001;414:611-6 pubmed..We propose that Egl and BicD are core components of a selective dynein motor complex that drives transcript localization in a variety of tissues. ..
- Neuman Silberberg F, Schupbach T. The Drosophila dorsoventral patterning gene gurken produces a dorsally localized RNA and encodes a TGF alpha-like protein. Cell. 1993;75:165-74 pubmed..We propose that the dorsal localization of grk RNA results in a spatially restricted ligand that asymmetrically activates the receptor. ..
- Ephrussi A, Dickinson L, Lehmann R. Oskar organizes the germ plasm and directs localization of the posterior determinant nanos. Cell. 1991;66:37-50 pubmed..We propose that the pole plasm is assembled stepwise and that continued interaction among its components is required for germ cell determination. ..
- Neuman Silberberg F, Schupbach T. The Drosophila TGF-alpha-like protein Gurken: expression and cellular localization during Drosophila oogenesis. Mech Dev. 1996;59:105-13 pubmed..By immunoblotting we detect one major form of the Gurken protein, which likely corresponds to the unprocessed protein. ..
- Andreu M, González Pérez E, Ajuria L, Samper N, González Crespo S, Campuzano S, et al. Mirror represses pipe expression in follicle cells to initiate dorsoventral axis formation in Drosophila. Development. 2012;139:1110-4 pubmed publisher..Thus, related RTK-Cic repressor circuits regulate the early stages of Drosophila DV and AP body axis formation. ..
- Dix C, Soundararajan H, Dzhindzhev N, Begum F, Suter B, Ohkura H, et al. Lissencephaly-1 promotes the recruitment of dynein and dynactin to transported mRNAs. J Cell Biol. 2013;202:479-94 pubmed publisher..Our data therefore reveal a critical role for Lis1 within the mRNA localization machinery and suggest a model in which Lis1 facilitates motor complex association with cargos by promoting the interaction of dynein with dynactin. ..
- Hartswood E, Brodie J, Vendra G, Davis I, Finnegan D. RNA:RNA interaction can enhance RNA localization in Drosophila oocytes. RNA. 2012;18:729-37 pubmed publisher..RNA:RNA interaction may be a general mechanism for modulating RNA localization and could allow an mRNA that lacks a localization signal to hitchhike on another RNA that has one. ..
- Hughes J, Bullock S, Ish Horowicz D. Inscuteable mRNA localization is dynein-dependent and regulates apicobasal polarity and spindle length in Drosophila neuroblasts. Curr Biol. 2004;14:1950-6 pubmed
- Ward E, Berg C. Juxtaposition between two cell types is necessary for dorsal appendage tube formation. Mech Dev. 2005;122:241-55 pubmed..In mutants that produce defective dorsal appendages (K10, Ras and ectopic decapentaplegic) both cell types are specified and reorganize to occupy their stereotypical ..
- Gupta T, Schupbach T. Cct1, a phosphatidylcholine biosynthesis enzyme, is required for Drosophila oogenesis and ovarian morphogenesis. Development. 2003;130:6075-87 pubmed..These data provide the first evidence for a specific role for CCT, and thus for phosphatidylcholine, in patterning during development. ..
- Mahajan Miklos S, Cooley L. Intercellular cytoplasm transport during Drosophila oogenesis. Dev Biol. 1994;165:336-51 pubmed
- Heino T. Polytene chromosomes from ovarian pseudonurse cells of the Drosophila melanogaster otu mutant. II. Photographic map of the X chromosome. Chromosoma. 1994;103:4-15 pubmed..This suggests that at least some of the genes active in the wild-type nurse cells may also be active in the PNC cells. ..
- Semotok J, Cooperstock R, Pinder B, Vari H, Lipshitz H, Smibert C. Smaug recruits the CCR4/POP2/NOT deadenylase complex to trigger maternal transcript localization in the early Drosophila embryo. Curr Biol. 2005;15:284-94 pubmed..Thus, Smaug is a multifunctional posttranscriptional regulator that employs distinct mechanisms to repress translation and to induce degradation of target transcripts. ..
- Sen J, Goltz J, Stevens L, Stein D. Spatially restricted expression of pipe in the Drosophila egg chamber defines embryonic dorsal-ventral polarity. Cell. 1998;95:471-81 pubmed..Thus, the localized expression of pipe and the spatially restricted modification of carbohydrate chains play pivotal roles in the mechanisms that establish embryonic pattern and integrate follicular and embryonic polarity. ..
- Szabad J. Genetic requirement of epidermal and female germ line cells in Drosophila in the light of clonal analysis. Int J Dev Biol. 1998;42:257-62 pubmed..Special attention is paid to the genetic requirement of the female germ line due to its fundamental function in the regulation of early embryogenesis. ..
- Hsu J, Perrimon N. A temperature-sensitive MEK mutation demonstrates the conservation of the signaling pathways activated by receptor tyrosine kinases. Genes Dev. 1994;8:2176-87 pubmed..In addition, we demonstrate that different RTK pathways respond differently to alteration in D-Mek activity. ..
- Doronkin S, Djagaeva I, Beckendorf S. CSN5/Jab1 mutations affect axis formation in the Drosophila oocyte by activating a meiotic checkpoint. Development. 2002;129:5053-64 pubmed..They also reveal a link between DNA repair, axis formation and the COP9 signalosome, a protein complex that acts in multiple signaling pathways by regulating protein stability. ..
- Drost J, Lee W. The developmental basis for germline mosaicism in mouse and Drosophila melanogaster. Genetica. 1998;102-103:421-43 pubmed..However, because the germ cells and any somatic tissue, like blood, are derived from small samples, there may be many individuals that test negative in blood but have germlines that are either mosaic or entirely mutant. ..
- Hackney J, Pucci C, Naes E, Dobens L. Ras signaling modulates activity of the ecdysone receptor EcR during cell migration in the Drosophila ovary. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:1213-26 pubmed..Our results indicate that tissue-specific modulation of EcR activity by the Ras signaling pathway refines temporal ecdysone signals that regulate FC differentiation and cadherin-mediated epithelial cell shape changes. ..
- Sen J, Goltz J, Konsolaki M, Schupbach T, Stein D. Windbeutel is required for function and correct subcellular localization of the Drosophila patterning protein Pipe. Development. 2000;127:5541-50 pubmed..Thus, Windbeutel protein enables the correct subcellular distribution of Pipe to facilitate its pattern-forming activity. ..
- Reich A, Sapir A, Shilo B. Sprouty is a general inhibitor of receptor tyrosine kinase signaling. Development. 1999;126:4139-47 pubmed..The ability of ectopic Sprouty to rescue lethality caused by activated Raf suggests that it may impinge upon the pathway by interacting with Raf or downstream to it. ..
- Doerflinger H, Lepesant J, Yanicostas C. Differential expression of the Drosophila zinc finger gene jim in the follicular epithelium. Mech Dev. 1999;86:177-82 pubmed..From stage 10A onward, jim-1 RNA is transcribed in squamous cells while jim-2 RNA is specific to all non-antero-dorsal columnar cells as the result of repression in antero-dorsal cells by the DER pathway. ..
- Perrimon N, Engstrom L, Mahowald A. Developmental genetics of the 2E-F region of the Drosophila X chromosome: a region rich in "developmentally important" genes. Genetics. 1984;108:559-72 pubmed..One of the female sterile loci is fs(1)k10 for which homozygous females produce both egg chambers and embryos with a dorsalized morphology...
- Zartman J, Yakoby N, Bristow C, Zhou X, Schlichting K, Dahmann C, et al. Cad74A is regulated by BR and is required for robust dorsal appendage formation in Drosophila oogenesis. Dev Biol. 2008;322:289-301 pubmed publisher..Based on these results, we propose that Cad74A is part of the adhesive machinery that enables robust dorsal appendage formation, and as such provides a link between the patterning of the follicle cells and eggshell morphogenesis. ..
- St Johnston D. RNA localization. Getting to the top. Curr Biol. 1994;4:54-6 pubmed..Localizing gurken mRNA dorsally in Drosophila oocytes seems to be the first step in dorsoventral polarity establishment. Gurken, which resembles TGF alpha, may signal directly to dorsal follicle cells through the receptor Top. ..
- Karlin Mcginness M, Serano T, Cohen R. Comparative analysis of the kinetics and dynamics of K10, bicoid, and oskar mRNA localization in the Drosophila oocyte. Dev Genet. 1996;19:238-48 pubmed..In this report, we compare the transport/localization kinetics and dynamics of three such mRNAs, K10, bicoid, and oskar...
- Schupbach T, Roth S. Dorsoventral patterning in Drosophila oogenesis. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 1994;4:502-7 pubmed..This localized signal from the oocyte to the follicle cells appears to initiate a cascade of events leading to dorsal follicle cell differentiation, and delimiting and orienting the future dorsoventral axis of the embryo. ..
- Brand A, Perrimon N. Raf acts downstream of the EGF receptor to determine dorsoventral polarity during Drosophila oogenesis. Genes Dev. 1994;8:629-39 pubmed..In this assay, human and Drosophila Rafgof are functionally similar, in that either can induce ventral follicle cells to assume a dorsal fate. ..
- Pokrywka N, Stephenson E. Microtubules are a general component of mRNA localization systems in Drosophila oocytes. Dev Biol. 1995;167:363-70 pubmed..For example, Bicaudal-D, fs (1) K10, and orb RNAs are transiently localized at the anterior oocyte margin in mid oogenesis, and oskar RNA is localized ..
- Prost E, Deryckere F, Roos C, Haenlin M, Pantesco V, Mohier E. Role of the oocyte nucleus in determination of the dorsoventral polarity of Drosophila as revealed by molecular analysis of the K10 gene. Genes Dev. 1988;2:891-900 pubmed..The female sterile K10 mutation differs from these mutants, because in addition to the dorsalized development of the embryo, it causes a ..
- MacDougall N, Clark A, MacDougall E, Davis I. Drosophila gurken (TGFalpha) mRNA localizes as particles that move within the oocyte in two dynein-dependent steps. Dev Cell. 2003;4:307-19 pubmed..Such distinct microtubule networks could provide a general mechanism for one motor to transport different cargos to distinct subcellular destinations. ..
- Schnorr J, Berg C. Differential activity of Ras1 during patterning of the Drosophila dorsoventral axis. Genetics. 1996;144:1545-57 pubmed..Ras1 is also epistatic to K10. Unlike Egfr(top) and gurken mutants, however, Ras1 females are moderately fertile, laying eggs with ventralized ..
- Wieschaus E, Marsh J, Gehring W. fs(1)K10, a germline-dependent female sterile mutation causing abnormal chorion morphology inDrosophila melanogaster. Wilehm Roux Arch Dev Biol. 1978;184:75-82 pubmed publisherFemales homozygous for a newly isolated mutation induced by ethyl methane sulphonate,fs(1)K10, lay abnormally shaped eggs in which the dorsal appendages of the chorion are enlarged and fused ventrally...
- Papadia S, Tzolovsky G, Zhao D, Leaper K, Clyde D, Taylor P, et al. emc has a role in dorsal appendage fate formation in Drosophila oogenesis. Mech Dev. 2005;122:961-74 pubmed..We demonstrate that emc lies downstream of fs(1)K10, gurken and EGFR in the Grk/EGFR signalling pathway and that it participates in controlling Broad-Complex ..
- Pathirana S, Zhao D, Bownes M. The Drosophila RGS protein Loco is required for dorsal/ventral axis formation of the egg and embryo, and nurse cell dumping. Mech Dev. 2001;109:137-50 pubmed
- Guillemin K, Williams T, Krasnow M. A nuclear lamin is required for cytoplasmic organization and egg polarity in Drosophila. Nat Cell Biol. 2001;3:848-51 pubmed..ventral spread results in dorsalized eggs that resemble those of the classical dorsalizing mutations squid and fs(1)K10. The requirement of a nuclear lamin for cytoplasmic as well as nuclear organization has important implications for ..
- Perrimon N, Engstrom L, Mahowald A. Developmental genetics of the 2C-D region of the Drosophila X chromosome. Genetics. 1985;111:23-41 pubmed..Additional information on the genetic organization of loci within the adjacent 2E area are also described.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS) ..
- Mohler J. Developmental genetics of the Drosophila egg. I. Identification of 59 sex-linked cistrons with maternal effects on embryonic development. Genetics. 1977;85:259-72 pubmed..The mutant strains are potentially important material for the study of developing egg envelopes and for furthering the analysis of causation in embryogenesis and its origins in oogenesis. ..
- Ding D, Lipshitz H. Localized RNAs and their functions. Bioessays. 1993;15:651-8 pubmed..Emphasis here will be on localized RNAs in the most intensively studied systems-Drosophila and Xenopus eggs and early embryos. ..
- Peri F, Bökel C, Roth S. Local Gurken signaling and dynamic MAPK activation during Drosophila oogenesis. Mech Dev. 1999;81:75-88 pubmed..Instead they are specified by secondary signal amplification and refinement processes that integrate the Gurken signal with positive and negative feedback mechanisms generated by target genes of the DER pathway. ..
- Costa A, Schedl P. Conservation signals location. Nature. 2001;414:593-5 pubmed
- Swan A, Suter B. Role of Bicaudal-D in patterning the Drosophila egg chamber in mid-oogenesis. Development. 1996;122:3577-86 pubmed..In addition, we show that Bic-D is required for the localization of specific mRNAs at both the anterior and posterior of the oocyte. ..
- Jansen R, Niessing D. Assembly of mRNA-protein complexes for directional mRNA transport in eukaryotes--an overview. Curr Protein Pept Sci. 2012;13:284-93 pubmed..We will highlight general themes and differences, point to similarities in other model systems, and raise open questions that might be answered in the coming years. ..
- Lan L, Lin S, Zhang S, Cohen R. Evidence for a transport-trap mode of Drosophila melanogaster gurken mRNA localization. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e15448 pubmed publisher..Our data further indicate that trapping at the anterodorsal corner requires at least one as-yet-unidentified gurken RLE. ..
- Herpers B, Rabouille C. mRNA localization and ER-based protein sorting mechanisms dictate the use of transitional endoplasmic reticulum-golgi units involved in gurken transport in Drosophila oocytes. Mol Biol Cell. 2004;15:5306-17 pubmed..We propose that this pretranslational mechanism could be a general way for targeted secretion in polarized cells, such as neurons. ..
- Nasmyth K, Jansen R. The cytoskeleton in mRNA localization and cell differentiation. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 1997;9:396-400 pubmed..Recent data imply that in Drosophila, Caenorhabditis elegans and budding yeast, proteins of the actin cytoskeleton, including unconventional myosins, play active roles in the segregation of differentiation factors and mRNAs. ..
- Geng C, Macdonald P. Imp associates with squid and Hrp48 and contributes to localized expression of gurken in the oocyte. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:9508-16 pubmed..The opposing effects of reduced and elevated Imp activity on gurken mRNA expression indicate a role in gurken mRNA regulation. ..
- Lin S, Zhao D, Bownes M. Blood vessel/epicardial substance (bves) expression, essential for embryonic development, is down regulated by Grk/EFGR signalling. Int J Dev Biol. 2007;51:37-44 pubmed
- Motola S, Neuman Silberberg F. spoonbill, a new Drosophila female-sterile mutation, interferes with chromosome organization and dorsal-ventral patterning of the egg. Dev Dyn. 2004;230:535-45 pubmed..This finding places the spoonbill gene upstream of both pathways. ..
- Morimoto A, Jordan K, Tietze K, Britton J, O Neill E, Ruohola Baker H. Pointed, an ETS domain transcription factor, negatively regulates the EGF receptor pathway in Drosophila oogenesis. Development. 1996;122:3745-54 pubmed
- Lantz V, Chang J, Horabin J, Bopp D, Schedl P. The Drosophila orb RNA-binding protein is required for the formation of the egg chamber and establishment of polarity. Genes Dev. 1994;8:598-613 pubmed..It then functions in the differentiation of the oocyte and is required for the three-dimensional reorganization of the germ cells in the cyst as well as for the establishment of normal germ-line-soma interactions in the egg chamber. ..
- Serano T, Cohen R. Gratuitous mRNA localization in the Drosophila oocyte. Development. 1995;121:3013-21 pubmed..Here we address the role of mRNA localization for the dorsoventral patterning gene K10. K10 mRNA is localized to the oocyte's anterior cortex following its transport into the cell during early stages of ..
- Kelley R. Initial organization of the Drosophila dorsoventral axis depends on an RNA-binding protein encoded by the squid gene. Genes Dev. 1993;7:948-60 pubmed..A model of D/V axis formation is presented postulating that squid is needed to organize a concentration gradient of a morphogen originating in the germinal vesicle. ..
- Wieschaus E. A combined genetic and mosaic approach to the study of oogenesis in Drosophila. Basic Life Sci. 1980;16:85-94 pubmed
- Zhao D, Bownes M. Misexpression of argos, an inhibitor of EGFR signaling in oogenesis, leads to the production of bicephalic, ventralized, and lateralized Drosophila melanogaster eggs. Dev Genet. 1999;25:375-86 pubmed
- Dobens L, Hsu T, Twombly V, Gelbart W, Raftery L, Kafatos F. The Drosophila bunched gene is a homologue of the growth factor stimulated mammalian TSC-22 sequence and is required during oogenesis. Mech Dev. 1997;65:197-208 pubmed..Clonal analysis shows that bun is required for the proper elaboration of dorsal cell fates leading to the formation of the dorsal appendages. ..
- Dequier E, Souid S, Pal M, Maroy P, Lepesant J, Yanicostas C. Top-DER- and Dpp-dependent requirements for the Drosophila fos/kayak gene in follicular epithelium morphogenesis. Mech Dev. 2001;106:47-60 pubmed..This suggests that in somatic follicle cells, Dfos controls the expression of one or several factors that are necessary for these processes in underlying germinal nurse cells. ..
- Gillespie D, Berg C. Homeless is required for RNA localization in Drosophila oogenesis and encodes a new member of the DE-H family of RNA-dependent ATPases. Genes Dev. 1995;9:2495-508 pubmed..during vitellogenic stages were strongly disrupted, and the distribution and/or quantity of gurken, orb, and fs(1)K10 mRNAs were also affected, but to a lesser degree...
- Saxton W. Microtubules, motors, and mRNA localization mechanisms: watching fluorescent messages move. Cell. 2001;107:707-10 pubmed..To dissect the mechanisms of localization, several groups are employing advanced fluorescence microscopy to track RNA movements in live oocytes and embryos. ..
- Buszczak M, Freeman M, Carlson J, Bender M, Cooley L, Segraves W. Ecdysone response genes govern egg chamber development during mid-oogenesis in Drosophila. Development. 1999;126:4581-9 pubmed..The stage 10 follicle cell expression of E75 in wild-type, K10 and EGF receptor (Egfr) mutant egg chambers reveals regulation of E75 by both the Egfr and ecdysone signaling ..
- Manseau L, Schupbach T. cappuccino and spire: two unique maternal-effect loci required for both the anteroposterior and dorsoventral patterns of the Drosophila embryo. Genes Dev. 1989;3:1437-52 pubmed..On the basis of our current knowledge of the genes involved in this process, we formulated a working model for the early steps in dorsoventral patterning. ..
- Zhao D, Woolner S, Bownes M. The Mirror transcription factor links signalling pathways in Drosophila oogenesis. Dev Genes Evol. 2000;210:449-57 pubmed..This coordination is required for epithelial morphogenesis, and for producing the signal in ventral follicle cells that determines the dorsal/ventral axis of the embryo. ..
- Clyne P, Warr C, Freeman M, Lessing D, Kim J, Carlson J. A novel family of divergent seven-transmembrane proteins: candidate odorant receptors in Drosophila. Neuron. 1999;22:327-38 pubmed..Some of the genes are not expressed in a mutant of the Acj6 POU-domain transcription factor, a mutant in which a subset of ORNs show abnormal odorant specificities. ..
- Ruden D, Wang X, Cui W, Mori D, Alterman M. A novel follicle-cell-dependent dominant female sterile allele, StarKojak, alters receptor tyrosine kinase signaling in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 1999;207:393-407 pubmed..We propose that Star functions by processing pro-Gurken to mature Gurken, which is thereby released in the region between the oocyte and the follicle cells and binds to the epidermal growth factor receptor in the follicle cells. ..
- Navarro C, Bullock S, Lehmann R. Altered dynein-dependent transport in piRNA pathway mutants. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:9691-6 pubmed publisher..We propose that aggregate formation is a cellular response to protect germ cells from DNA damage caused by elevated retrotransposon expression. ..
- Iovino N, Pane A, Gaul U. miR-184 has multiple roles in Drosophila female germline development. Dev Cell. 2009;17:123-33 pubmed publisher..the DPP receptor Saxophone, dorsoventral patterning of the egg shell by regulating the gurken transport factor K10, and anteroposterior patterning of the blastoderm by tuning the transcriptional repressor Tramtrack69...
- Tinker R, Silver D, Montell D. Requirement for the vasa RNA helicase in gurken mRNA localization. Dev Biol. 1998;199:1-10 pubmed..Surprisingly fs(1)K10, a recessive female sterile mutation that results in mislocalization of GRK mRNA to the anterior end of the oocyte, ..
- Konsolaki M, Schupbach T. windbeutel, a gene required for dorsoventral patterning in Drosophila, encodes a protein that has homologies to vertebrate proteins of the endoplasmic reticulum. Genes Dev. 1998;12:120-31 pubmed..We propose that Windbeutel is responsible for the folding and/or modification of a specific factor that is secreted from the follicle cells and participates in the activation of the ventralizing signal. ..
- Stein D. Pattern formation: The link between ovary and embryo. Curr Biol. 1995;5:1360-3 pubmed
- Lozovskaya E, Hartl D, Petrov D. Genomic regulation of transposable elements in Drosophila. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 1995;5:768-73 pubmed..The finding of a type of hybrid dysgenesis in D. virilis, in which multiple unrelated transposable elements are mobilized simultaneously, may also be relevant to host-factor regulation of transposition. ..
- Forlani S, Ferrandon D, Saget O, Mohier E. A regulatory function for K10 in the establishment of dorsoventral polarity in the Drosophila egg and embryo. Mech Dev. 1993;41:109-20 pubmed..A few early-acting genes, K10, top, grk and cni, have been identified which are assumed to function in a signal transduction process between the ..
- Roth S, Schupbach T. The relationship between ovarian and embryonic dorsoventral patterning in Drosophila. Development. 1994;120:2245-57 pubmed..A change in distribution of the germ-line signal as caused by fs(1)K10, squid and orb mutations leads to a shift in the orientation of the embryonic dorsoventral axis relative to the ..
- Christerson L, McKearin D. orb is required for anteroposterior and dorsoventral patterning during Drosophila oogenesis. Genes Dev. 1994;8:614-28 pubmed