Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Fib
Alias: CG9888, Dmel\CG9888, Fibri, GCR-6, GCR6, Pen59C5, fib, fibrillarin, pen59C5, fibrillarin, CG9888-PA, Fib-PA
Species: fruit fly
- Zimowska G, Aris J, Paddy M. A Drosophila Tpr protein homolog is localized both in the extrachromosomal channel network and to nuclear pore complexes. J Cell Sci. 1997;110 ( Pt 8):927-44 pubmed
- Baxley R, Soshnev A, Koryakov D, Zhimulev I, Geyer P. The role of the Suppressor of Hairy-wing insulator protein in Drosophila oogenesis. Dev Biol. 2011;356:398-410 pubmed publisher..2 and CP190, these proteins are not essential for oogenesis. These studies represent the first molecular investigations of Su(Hw) function in the germline, which uncover distinct requirements for Su(Hw) insulator and ovary functions. ..
- Gaur K, Li J, Wang D, Dutta P, Yan S, Tsurumi A, et al. The Birt-Hogg-Dubé tumor suppressor Folliculin negatively regulates ribosomal RNA synthesis. Hum Mol Genet. 2013;22:284-99 pubmed publisher..Our study suggests that FLCN functions as a tumor suppressor by negatively regulating rRNA synthesis. ..
- Unhavaithaya Y, Orr Weaver T. Centromere proteins CENP-C and CAL1 functionally interact in meiosis for centromere clustering, pairing, and chromosome segregation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:19878-83 pubmed publisher..These results show that integral centromere proteins are required for nuclear position and intercentromere associations in meiosis. ..
- Orian A, Delrow J, Rosales Nieves A, Abed M, Metzger D, Paroush Z, et al. A Myc-Groucho complex integrates EGF and Notch signaling to regulate neural development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:15771-6 pubmed..Our results suggest that the dMyc-Groucho complex defines a previously undescribed mechanism of Myc function and may serve as the transcriptional unit that integrates EGF and Notch inputs to regulate early neuronal development. ..
- Neumüller R, Betschinger J, Fischer A, Bushati N, Poernbacher I, Mechtler K, et al. Mei-P26 regulates microRNAs and cell growth in the Drosophila ovarian stem cell lineage. Nature. 2008;454:241-5 pubmed publisher..Mei-P26 and Brat have a similar domain composition that is also found in other tumour suppressors and might be a defining property of a new family of microRNA regulators that act specifically in stem cell lineages. ..
- Leser K, Awe S, Barckmann B, Renkawitz Pohl R, Rathke C. The bromodomain-containing protein tBRD-1 is specifically expressed in spermatocytes and is essential for male fertility. Biol Open. 2012;1:597-606 pubmed publisher..tBRD-1 partially colocalised with tTAFs, TAF1 and Polycomb to a Fibrillarin-deficient region within the spermatocyte nucleolus...
- Hovhanyan A, Herter E, Pfannstiel J, Gallant P, Raabe T. Drosophila mbm is a nucleolar myc and casein kinase 2 target required for ribosome biogenesis and cell growth of central brain neuroblasts. Mol Cell Biol. 2014;34:1878-91 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Mbm is a new part of the Myc target network involved in ribosome biogenesis, which, together with CK2-mediated signals, enables neuroblasts to synthesize sufficient amounts of proteins required for proper cell growth. ..
- He F, James A, Raje H, Ghaffari H, DiMario P. Deletion of Drosophila Nopp140 induces subcellular ribosomopathies. Chromosoma. 2015;124:191-208 pubmed publisher..appeared intact in Nopp140-/- cells, the C/D small nucleolar ribonucleoprotein (snoRNP) methyltransferase, fibrillarin, redistributed to the nucleoplasm in variable amounts depending on the cell type; RT-PCRs showed that 2'-O-..
- Zhang Q, Shalaby N, Buszczak M. Changes in rRNA transcription influence proliferation and cell fate within a stem cell lineage. Science. 2014;343:298-301 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that modulating rRNA synthesis fosters changes in the cell fate, growth, and proliferation of female Drosophila GSCs and their daughters. ..
- Orihara Ono M, Suzuki E, Saito M, Yoda Y, Aigaki T, Hama C. The slender lobes gene, identified by retarded mushroom body development, is required for proper nucleolar organization in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2005;281:121-33 pubmed..mutant neuroblasts, the nucleolus was packed more tightly, forming a dense sphere, and the nucleolar proteins fibrillarin and Nop60B were abnormally distributed in the interphase nucleolus...
- Vujatovic O, Zaragoza K, Vaquero A, Reina O, Bernues J, Azorín F. Drosophila melanogaster linker histone dH1 is required for transposon silencing and to preserve genome integrity. Nucleic Acids Res. 2012;40:5402-14 pubmed publisher..Finally, the contributions to maintenance of genome integrity and cell proliferation appear conserved in human hH1s, as their expression rescues proliferation of dH1-depleted cells. ..
- Kavi H, Birchler J. Drosophila KDM2 is a H3K4me3 demethylase regulating nucleolar organization. BMC Res Notes. 2009;2:217 pubmed publisher..Our findings indicate that dKDM2 is a histone lysine demethylase with specificity for H3K4me3 and regulates nucleolar organization. ..
- Sanchez C, Teixeira F, Czech B, Preall J, Zamparini A, Seifert J, et al. Regulation of Ribosome Biogenesis and Protein Synthesis Controls Germline Stem Cell Differentiation. Cell Stem Cell. 2016;18:276-90 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results detail the extensive genetic networks that control stem cell homeostasis and highlight the intricate regulation of protein synthesis during differentiation. ..
- Benbahouche N, Iliopoulos I, Török I, Marhold J, Henri J, Kajava A, et al. Drosophila Spag is the homolog of RNA polymerase II-associated protein 3 (RPAP3) and recruits the heat shock proteins 70 and 90 (Hsp70 and Hsp90) during the assembly of cellular machineries. J Biol Chem. 2014;289:6236-47 pubmed publisher..Interaction of Spag with both Hsp70 and Hsp90 suggests a model whereby R2TP would accompany clients from Hsp70 to Hsp90 to facilitate their assembly into macromolecular complexes. ..
- Parisi F, Riccardo S, Zola S, Lora C, Grifoni D, Brown L, et al. dMyc expression in the fat body affects DILP2 release and increases the expression of the fat desaturase Desat1 resulting in organismal growth. Dev Biol. 2013;379:64-75 pubmed publisher..In addition, the regulation of Desat1 controls the synthesis of triglycerides in FB and this may affect the humoral signal that controls DILP2 release in the brain. ..
- Pathak R, Mamillapalli A, Rangaraj N, Kumar R, Vasanthi D, Mishra K, et al. AAGAG repeat RNA is an essential component of nuclear matrix in Drosophila. RNA Biol. 2013;10:564-71 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal the molecular identity of a critical RNA component of the nuclear architecture and point to one of the utilities of the repetitive part of the genome that has accumulated in higher eukaryotes. ..
- Vincent J, Kolahgar G, Gagliardi M, Piddini E. Steep differences in wingless signaling trigger Myc-independent competitive cell interactions. Dev Cell. 2011;21:366-74 pubmed publisher..We suggest that Notum could amplify local differences in Wingless signaling, thus serving as an early trigger of Wg signaling-dependent competition. ..
- Moon S, Cho B, Min S, Lee D, Chung Y. The THO complex is required for nucleolar integrity in Drosophila spermatocytes. Development. 2011;138:3835-45 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our study suggests that the Drosophila THO complex is necessary for proper spermatogenesis by contribution to the establishment or maintenance of nucleolar integrity rather than by nuclear mRNA export in spermatocytes...
- Potter C, Tasic B, Russler E, Liang L, Luo L. The Q system: a repressible binary system for transgene expression, lineage tracing, and mosaic analysis. Cell. 2010;141:536-48 pubmed publisher..The Q system can be expanded to other uses in Drosophila and to any organism conducive to transgenesis...
- Flavell A, Dyson J, Ish Horowicz D. A novel GC-rich dispersed repeat sequence in Drosophila melanogaster. Nucleic Acids Res. 1987;15:4035-48 pubmed..Polyadenylated RNAs homologous to this repeat family are expressed in a complex pattern which is developmentally regulated. We suggest that this family encodes a set of glycine-rich domains in Drosophila proteins. ..
- Daneshvar K, Khan A, Goodliffe J. Myc localizes to histone locus bodies during replication in Drosophila. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e23928 pubmed publisher..These results provide evidence that sub-nuclear localization of Myc is cell-cycle dependent and potentially important for histone mRNA production and processing. ..
- Takashima S, Younossi Hartenstein A, Ortiz P, Hartenstein V. A novel tissue in an established model system: the Drosophila pupal midgut. Dev Genes Evol. 2011;221:69-81 pubmed publisher..quot; The formation of a pupal midgut has been reported from several other species and may represent a general feature of intestinal metamorphosis in insects. ..
- Guerrero P, Maggert K. The CCCTC-binding factor (CTCF) of Drosophila contributes to the regulation of the ribosomal DNA and nucleolar stability. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e16401 pubmed publisher..Our data establish a role for CTCF as a component necessary for proper control of transposable element-laden rDNA transcription and nucleolar stability. ..
- Kroiss M, Brünger K, Wiesner J, Grimmler M, Sickmann A, Fischer U. Native purification of protein and RNA-protein complexes using a novel affinity procedure. Fly (Austin). 2009;3:221-8 pubmed..In addition, RNA-peptide hybrid molecules may become a novel tool to purify RNA binding proteins. ..
- Das D, Ashoka D, Aradhya R, Inamdar M. Gene expression analysis in post-embryonic pericardial cells of Drosophila. Gene Expr Patterns. 2008;8:199-205 pubmed..Co-expression of the two distinct lineage markers only in post-embryonic stages indicates a complex temporal regulation of gene expression in PCs. ..
- McDermott S, Meignin C, Rappsilber J, Davis I. Drosophila Syncrip binds the gurken mRNA localisation signal and regulates localised transcripts during axis specification. Biol Open. 2012;1:488-97 pubmed publisher..We propose that Syncrip/SYNCRIP is part of a conserved complex associated with localised transcripts and required for their correct translational regulation in flies and mammals. ..
- Pierce S, Yost C, Anderson S, Flynn E, Delrow J, Eisenman R. Drosophila growth and development in the absence of dMyc and dMnt. Dev Biol. 2008;315:303-16 pubmed publisher..Surprisingly, considerable growth and development can occur in the absence of both dMyc and dMnt. ..
- Schaefer M, Steringer J, Lyko F. The Drosophila cytosine-5 methyltransferase Dnmt2 is associated with the nuclear matrix and can access DNA during mitosis. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e1414 pubmed publisher..Our results represent the first comprehensive characterization of Dnmt2 proteins on the cellular level and have important implications for our understanding of the molecular activities of Dnmt2. ..
- Pierce S, Yost C, Britton J, Loo L, Flynn E, Edgar B, et al. dMyc is required for larval growth and endoreplication in Drosophila. Development. 2004;131:2317-27 pubmed..Our results indicate that larval growth and endoreplication are coupled processes that, although linked to cell cycle control mechanisms, are regulated by dMyc and dMnt. ..
- Fichelson P, Moch C, Ivanovitch K, Martin C, Sidor C, Lepesant J, et al. Live-imaging of single stem cells within their niche reveals that a U3snoRNP component segregates asymmetrically and is required for self-renewal in Drosophila. Nat Cell Biol. 2009;11:685-93 pubmed publisher..In the absence of Wcd, NSCs became smaller and produced fewer neurons. Our results show that regulation of ribosome synthesis is a crucial parameter for stem cell maintenance and function. ..
- Baker N. Developmental regulation of nucleolus size during Drosophila eye differentiation. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e58266 pubmed publisher..study, nucleolus size was monitored during cell fate specification in the Drosophila eye imaginal disc using fibrillarin antibody labeling...
- Datar S, Galloni M, de la Cruz A, Marti M, Edgar B, Frei C. Mammalian cyclin D1/Cdk4 complexes induce cell growth in Drosophila. Cell Cycle. 2006;5:647-52 pubmed..Furthermore, Hif-1 prolyl hydroxylase (Hph) is required for both complexes to drive growth. Our data suggest that the growth-specific function of CycD/Cdk4 is conserved from arthropods to mammals. ..
- Classen A, Bunker B, Harvey K, Vaccari T, Bilder D. A tumor suppressor activity of Drosophila Polycomb genes mediated by JAK-STAT signaling. Nat Genet. 2009;41:1150-5 pubmed publisher..These findings show that PcG proteins can restrict growth directly by silencing mitogenic signaling pathways, shedding light on an epigenetic mechanism underlying tumor suppression. ..
- Betschinger J, Mechtler K, Knoblich J. Asymmetric segregation of the tumor suppressor brat regulates self-renewal in Drosophila neural stem cells. Cell. 2006;124:1241-53 pubmed..Similar defects are seen in lethal giant larvae (lgl) mutants where Brat and Prospero are not asymmetric. We have identified a molecular mechanism that may control self-renewal and prevent tumor formation in other stem cells as well. ..
- Neto Silva R, de Beco S, Johnston L. Evidence for a growth-stabilizing regulatory feedback mechanism between Myc and Yorkie, the Drosophila homolog of Yap. Dev Cell. 2010;19:507-20 pubmed publisher..We propose that the codependent regulatory relationship functionally coordinates the cellular activities of Yki and Myc and provides a mechanism of growth control that regulates organ size and has broad implications for cancer. ..
- Insco M, Bailey A, Kim J, Olivares G, Wapinski O, Tam C, et al. A self-limiting switch based on translational control regulates the transition from proliferation to differentiation in an adult stem cell lineage. Cell Stem Cell. 2012;11:689-700 pubmed publisher..TRIM-NHL homologs across species facilitate the switch from proliferation to differentiation, suggesting a conserved developmentally programmed tumor suppressor mechanism. ..
- Rosby R, Cui Z, Rogers E, deLivron M, Robinson V, DiMario P. Knockdown of the Drosophila GTPase nucleostemin 1 impairs large ribosomal subunit biogenesis, cell growth, and midgut precursor cell maintenance. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:4424-34 pubmed publisher..We interpret the appearance of these structures as indicators of cell stress response. ..
- Savoian M, Glover D. Drosophila Klp67A binds prophase kinetochores to subsequently regulate congression and spindle length. J Cell Sci. 2010;123:767-76 pubmed publisher..From this location, Klp67A uses its motor activity to ensure chromosome alignment and proper spindle length. ..
- Monk A, Siddall N, Volk T, Fraser B, Quinn L, McLaughlin E, et al. HOW is required for stem cell maintenance in the Drosophila testis and for the onset of transit-amplifying divisions. Cell Stem Cell. 2010;6:348-60 pubmed publisher..Spatiotemporal regulation of HOW expression is therefore required to specify the four spermatogonial transit-amplifying divisions. ..
- Ponti D, Troiano M, Bellenchi G, Battaglia P, Gigliani F. The HIV Tat protein affects processing of ribosomal RNA precursor. BMC Cell Biol. 2008;9:32 pubmed publisher..that Tat localizes in the nucleoli of Drosophila oocyte nurse cells, where it specifically co-localizes with fibrillarin. Tat expression is accompanied by a significant decrease of cytoplasmic ribosomes, which is apparently related ..
- Larson K, Yan S, Tsurumi A, Liu J, Zhou J, Gaur K, et al. Heterochromatin formation promotes longevity and represses ribosomal RNA synthesis. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002473 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results suggest that epigenetic preservation of genome stability, especially at the rDNA locus, and repression of unnecessary rRNA synthesis, might be an evolutionarily conserved mechanism for prolonging lifespan. ..
- Delanoue R, Slaidina M, Leopold P. The steroid hormone ecdysone controls systemic growth by repressing dMyc function in Drosophila fat cells. Dev Cell. 2010;18:1012-21 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the present work reveals an unexpected function of dMyc in the systemic control of growth in response to steroid hormone signaling. ..
- Hughes M, Grant G, Paquin C, Qian J, Nitabach M. Deep sequencing the circadian and diurnal transcriptome of Drosophila brain. Genome Res. 2012;22:1266-81 pubmed publisher..These studies demonstrate extensive circadian control of ncRNA expression, reveal the extent of clock control of alternative splicing and RNA editing, and provide a novel, genome-wide map of splicing in Drosophila brain. ..
- Grewal S, Evans J, Edgar B. Drosophila TIF-IA is required for ribosome synthesis and cell growth and is regulated by the TOR pathway. J Cell Biol. 2007;179:1105-13 pubmed..Stimulation of rRNA synthesis by TIF-IA may therefore provide a feed-forward mechanism to coregulate the levels of other ribosome components. ..
- Chan H, Brogna S, O Kane C. Dribble, the Drosophila KRR1p homologue, is involved in rRNA processing. Mol Biol Cell. 2001;12:1409-19 pubmed..Clonal analyses suggest that dbe(+) is required for survival of dividing cells. In dbe mutants, a novel rRNA-processing defect is found and accumulation of an abnormal rRNA precursor is detected. ..