Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Grm5
Description: glutamate receptor, metabotropic 5
Alias: mGluR5, mGlur5, metabotropic glutamate receptor (mGluR5), metabotropic glutamate receptor 5, metabotropic glutamate receptor 5b
Publications101 found, 100 shown here
- Mechanisms and physiological role of enhancement of mGlu5 receptor function by group II mGlu receptor activation in rat perirhinal cortexK Cho
MRC Centre for Synaptic Plasticity, Department of Anatomy, University of Bristol, Bristol BS8 1TD, UK
J Physiol 540:895-906. 2002..Similar mechanisms of synergistic interaction may also be important in other physiological processes dependent on mGlu receptors...
- Group I metabotropic glutamate receptors activate a calcium-sensitive transient receptor potential-like conductance in rat hippocampusChristine E Gee
Brain Research Institute, University of Zurich, Winterthurerstrasse 190, 8057 Zurich, Switzerland
J Physiol 546:655-64. 2003..Stimulation of mGluR1 and mGluR5 converged to activate the TRP-like conductance in a synergistic manner, and activation of either subtype alone ..
- Metabotropic glutamate receptor 5-regulated Elk-1 phosphorylation and immediate early gene expression in striatal neuronsLimin Mao
Department of Pharmacology, School of Pharmacy, University of Missouri Kansas City, 2411 Holmes Street, Rm M3 C225, Kansas City, MO 64108, USA
J Neurochem 85:1006-17. 2003The Galphaq protein-coupled metabotropic glutamate receptor subtype-5 (mGluR5) is densely expressed in medium spiny projection neurons of striatum...
- Co-stimulation of mGluR5 and N-methyl-D-aspartate receptors is required for potentiation of excitatory synaptic transmission in hippocampal neuronsSuhas A Kotecha
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Mt Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A8, Canada
J Biol Chem 278:27742-9. 2003..Here we report that co-activation of mGluR5, a member of the group I mGluR family, and N-methyl-d-aspartate receptors (NMDARs) potentiates NMDAR currents and ..
- Long-term enhancement of neuronal excitability and temporal fidelity mediated by metabotropic glutamate receptor subtype 5Valérie Sourdet
Neurobiologie des Canaux Ioniques, Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale Unité Mixte de Recherche 464, Universitéde la Méditerranée, F 13916 Marseille Cedex 20, France
J Neurosci 23:10238-48. 2003..We report here that synaptic or pharmacological activation of the metabotropic glutamate receptor subtype 5 (mGluR5) induces long-term potentiation of intrinsic excitability (LTP-IE) in layer V pyramidal neurons...
- Homer binds a novel proline-rich motif and links group 1 metabotropic glutamate receptors with IP3 receptorsJ C Tu
Department of Neuroscience, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Neuron 21:717-26. 1998..These studies identify a novel mechanism in calcium signaling and provide evidence that an IEG, whose expression is driven by synaptic activity, can directly modify a specific synaptic function...
- Homer regulates the association of group 1 metabotropic glutamate receptors with multivalent complexes of homer-related, synaptic proteinsB Xiao
Department of Neuroscience, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Neuron 21:707-16. 1998..These observations support a model in which the dynamic expression of Homer 1a competes with constitutively expressed CC-Homers to modify synaptic mGluR properties...
- Homer 1a uncouples metabotropic glutamate receptor 5 from postsynaptic effectorsPaul J Kammermeier
Department of Pharmacology and Physiology, University of Rochester Medical Center, 601 Elmwood Avenue, Box 711, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:6055-60. 2007..This modulation occurred postsynaptically, was mediated primarily by mGluR5, and was inositol triphosphate receptor-dependent...
- Activation of intracellular metabotropic glutamate receptor 5 in striatal neurons leads to up-regulation of genes associated with sustained synaptic transmission including Arc/Arg3.1 proteinVikas Kumar
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Biol Chem 287:5412-25. 2012The G-protein coupled receptor, metabotropic glutamate receptor 5 (mGluR5), is expressed on both cell surface and intracellular membranes in striatal neurons...
- Successful cognitive aging in rats: a role for mGluR5 glutamate receptors, homer 1 proteins and downstream signaling pathwaysCaroline Menard
Douglas Mental Health University Institute, Department of Psychiatry, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
PLoS ONE 7:e28666. 2012..At the molecular level, an increase in metabotropic glutamate receptors 5 (mGluR5) was observed in post-synaptic densities (PSD) in the hippocampus of AU rats after training...
- Neuroadaptations in the cellular and postsynaptic group 1 metabotropic glutamate receptor mGluR5 and Homer proteins following extinction of cocaine self-administrationM Behnam Ghasemzadeh
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Integrative Neuroscience Research Center, Marquette University, Milwaukee, WI 53201, United States
Neurosci Lett 452:167-71. 2009This study examined the role of group1 metabotropic glutamate receptor mGluR5 and associated postsynaptic scaffolding protein Homer1b/c in behavioral plasticity after three withdrawal treatments from cocaine self-administration...
- Competitive interaction of seven in absentia homolog-1A and Ca2+/calmodulin with the cytoplasmic tail of group 1 metabotropic glutamate receptorsK Ishikawa
Department of Biological Sciences, Kyoto University Faculty of Medicine, Yoshida, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8501, Japan
Genes Cells 4:381-90. 1999Group 1 metabotropic glutamate receptors (mGluR1 and mGluR5) are coupled to inositol trisphosphate/Ca2+ signaling via G proteins and play an important role in excitatory synaptic transmission...
- Coupling of mGluR/Homer and PSD-95 complexes by the Shank family of postsynaptic density proteinsJ C Tu
Department of Neuroscience, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Neuron 23:583-92. 1999..Moreover, Shank clusters mGluR5 in heterologous cells in the presence of Homer and mediates the coclustering of Homer with PSD-95/GKAP...
- Differential roles of hippocampal metabotropic glutamate receptors 1 and 5 in inhibitory avoidance learningA Simonyi
Department of Biochemistry, University of Missouri Columbia, M743 Medical Sciences Building, Columbia, MO 65212, USA
Neurobiol Learn Mem 88:305-11. 2007..These findings indicate a selective participation of hippocampal group I mGlu receptors in memory processing in this task...
- Long-term depression of NMDA receptor-mediated synaptic transmission is dependent on activation of metabotropic glutamate receptors and is altered to long-term potentiation by low intracellular calcium bufferingSarah C Harney
Department of Physiology, Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland
J Neurosci 26:1128-32. 2006..We also identified a role for metabotropic glutamate receptor 5 (mGluR5) in NMDAR plasticity...
- The Homer-1 protein Ania-3 interacts with the plasma membrane calcium pumpVéronique Sgambato-Faure
Molecular Plasticity Section, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, Bethesda, MD, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 343:630-7. 2006..The interaction between Ania-3/Homer and PMCAs may represent a novel mechanism by which local calcium signaling and hence synaptic function can be modulated in neurons...
- Molecular characterization of a novel metabotropic glutamate receptor mGluR5 coupled to inositol phosphate/Ca2+ signal transductionT Abe
Institute for Immunology, Kyoto University Faculty of Medicine, Japan
J Biol Chem 267:13361-8. 1992A cDNA clone for a new metabotropic glutamate receptor, mGluR5, was isolated through polymerase chain reaction-mediated DNA amplification by using primer sequences conserved among the metabotropic glutamate receptor (mGluR) family and by ..
- Tamalin, a PDZ domain-containing protein, links a protein complex formation of group 1 metabotropic glutamate receptors and the guanine nucleotide exchange factor cytohesinsJun Kitano
Department of Biological Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, Graduate School of Biostudies, Kyoto University, Kyoto, 606 8501, Japan
J Neurosci 22:1280-9. 2002..of tamalin and dominant-negative tamalin facilitated and reduced the neuritic distribution of endogenous mGluR5 in cultured hippocampal neurons, respectively...
- Synaptic plasticity in the amygdala in a model of arthritic pain: differential roles of metabotropic glutamate receptors 1 and 5Volker Neugebauer
Department of Anatomy and Neurosciences and Marine Biomedical Institute, The University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77555 1069, USA
J Neurosci 23:52-63. 2003..condition induced in vivo on synaptic transmission and group I metabotropic glutamate receptor (mGluR1 and mGluR5) function was examined in vitro using whole-cell voltage-clamp recordings of neurons in the central nucleus of the ..
- Dissociation of protein kinase-mediated regulation of metabotropic glutamate receptor 7 (mGluR7) interactions with calmodulin and regulation of mGluR7 functionScott D Sorensen
Department of Pharmacology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Mol Pharmacol 61:1303-12. 2002..Furthermore, our studies suggest that CaM binding is not required for mGluR7-mediated activation of GIRK current...
- Regulation of neurotransmitter release by metabotropic glutamate receptorsJ Cartmell
Lilly Research Laboratories, Eli Lilly and Company, Indianapolis, IN 46285, USA
J Neurochem 75:889-907. 2000..This review addresses the neurochemical evidence for mGlu receptor-mediated regulation of neurotransmitters, such as excitatory and inhibitory amino acids, monoamines, and neuropeptides...
- Metabotropic glutamate mGlu5 receptor-mediated serine phosphorylation of NMDA receptor subunit NR1 in hippocampal CA1 region after transient global ischemia in ratsNorio Takagi
Department of Molecular and Cellular Pharmacology, Tokyo University of Pharmacy and Life Sciences, 1432 1 Horinouchi, Hachioji, Tokyo 192 0392, Japan
Eur J Pharmacol 644:96-100. 2010....
- [Expression of group I mGluRs in rat flocculus after unilateral labyrinthectomy]Yamin Zhang
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, First Hospital of Zhengzhou University, Zhengzhou 450052, China
Lin Chung Er Bi Yan Hou Tou Jing Wai Ke Za Zhi 23:604-6. 2009..Studies revealed that cerebellar flocculus-paraflocculus complex plays an important in vestibular compensation. To observe the expression change of Group I mGluRs in flocculus following left unilateral labyrinthectomy (UL)...
- Counteracting roles of metabotropic glutamate receptor subtypes 1 and 5 in regulation of pain-related spatial and temporal synaptic plasticity in rat entorhinal-hippocampal pathwaysMing Gang Liu
Institute for Biomedical Sciences of Pain, Capital Medical University, Beijing 100069, China
Neurosci Lett 507:38-42. 2012..However, inhibition of mGluR5 by a selective antagonist 2-methyl-6-(phenylethynyl)-pyridine (MPEP) produced no spatial change from either of the ..
- Effects of metabotropic glutamate mGlu5 receptor antagonist on tyrosine phosphorylation of NMDA receptor subunits and cell death in the hippocampus after brain ischemia in ratsNorio Takagi
Department of Molecular and Cellular Pharmacology, Tokyo University of Pharmacy and Life Sciences, 1432 1 Horinouchi, Hachioji, Tokyo 192 0392, Japan
Neurosci Lett 530:91-6. 2012....
- Defining protein kinase/phosphatase isoenzymic regulation of mGlu₅ receptor-stimulated phospholipase C and Ca²⁺ responses in astrocytesS J Bradley
Department of Cell Physiology and Pharmacology, University of Leicester, Leicester, UK
Br J Pharmacol 164:755-71. 2011..Here, we have attempted to better define the kinase and phosphatase enzymes involved in this modulation...
- Hippocampal mGluR5 predicts an occurrence of helplessness behavior after repetitive exposure to uncontrollable stressYeong Shin Yim
Department of Pharmacology, Brain Korea 21 Project for Medical Science, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, South Korea
Neurosci Lett 519:62-6. 2012..In this study, we examined the relationship between the hippocampal mGluR5 expression and coping strategies to stress...
- The PDZ domain protein CAL interacts with mGluR5a and modulates receptor expressionShan Cheng
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Capital Medical University, Beijing 100069, China
J Neurochem 112:588-98. 2010..These results also suggest a molecular mechanism by which mGluR5a protein expression may be regulated at the post-translational level by the CAL protein, possibly by blocking ubiquitination-dependent receptor degradation...
- Examination of a role for metabotropic glutamate receptor 5 in the medial prefrontal cortex in cocaine sensitization in ratsKristin M Timmer
Department of Pharmacology, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, 874 Union Ave, Rm 115 Crowe, Memphis, TN 38163, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 221:91-100. 2012..Evidence suggests that Group I metabotropic glutamate receptor 5 (mGluR5) is necessary for cocaine sensitization, and stimulation of this receptor in the mPFC ..
- mGluR5 is involved in proliferation of rat neural progenitor cells exposed to hypoxia with activation of mitogen-activated protein kinase signaling pathwayLingyu Zhao
Institute of Neurobiology, Environment and Genes Related to Diseases Key Laboratory of Education Ministry, Xi an Jiaotong University College of Medicine, Xi an, China
J Neurosci Res 90:447-60. 2012..We investigated the effects of metabotropic glutamate receptor 5 (mGluR5) on NPC proliferation under hypoxia, the expression of cyclin D1, and the activation of the ..
- Modulation of intracellular calcium mobilization and GABAergic currents through subtype-specific metabotropic glutamate receptors in neonatal rat hippocampusM Taketo
Department of Physiology 1, Faculty of Medicine, Kansai Medical University, 10 15 Fumizono cho Moriguchi, Osaka 570 8506, Japan
Brain Res Bull 81:73-80. 2010..In hippocampal interneurons, several subclasses of mGluRs including mGluR1 and mGluR5 have been immunohistochemically identified...
- Effects of glutamate and alpha2-noradrenergic receptor antagonists on the development of neurotoxicity produced by chronic rotenone in ratsMesbah Alam
Zoological Institute, Department of Neuropharmacology, University of Tubingen, Auf der Morgenstelle 28E, D 72076 Tubingen, Germany
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 240:198-207. 2009..idazoxan (alpha2-adrenoceptor antagonist) or 2-methyl-6-(phenyl-ethyl)-pyrimidine (MPEP, metabotropic glutamate receptor 5 antagonist) prevents rotenone-induced parkinsonian-like behaviours and neurochemical changes in rats...
- CB1 receptor knockout mice are hyporesponsive to the behavior-stimulating actions of d-amphetamine: role of mGlu5 receptorsEleni T Tzavara
Eli Lilly and Company, Lilly Corporate Center, Neuroscience Discovery Research, Indianapolis, IN 46285 0510, USA
Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 19:196-204. 2009..Blockade of metabotropic-glutamate-receptors-5 (mGluR5)with MPEP, but not blockade of N-methyl-D-aspartate-receptors (NMDA) with MK-801,restored to a great extent the ..
- Metabotropic glutamate receptors subtype 5 are necessary for the enhancement of auditory evoked potentials in the lateral nucleus of the amygdala by tetanic stimulation of the auditory thalamusJ Zheng
Department of Psychology, Speech and Hearing Research Center, State Key Laboratory on Machine Perception, Peking University, 5 Yiheyuan Road, Beijing, China 100871
Neuroscience 152:254-64. 2008..whether the artificially-induced AEP potentiation is mediated by the metabotropic glutamate receptors subtype 5 (mGluR5)...
- A role for mGluR5 receptors in intravenous methamphetamine self-administrationMegan P H Osborne
Center for Drug and Alcohol Programs, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1139:206-11. 2008Selective antagonists of the mGluR5 receptor attenuate rewarding and reinforcing effects of various drugs of abuse, including alcohol, nicotine, and cocaine...
- Metabotropic glutamate receptor 5 activation inhibits microglial associated inflammation and neurotoxicityKimberly R Byrnes
Department of Neuroscience, Georgetown University Medical Center, 3970 Reservoir Road N W, Washington, DC 20057, USA
Glia 57:550-60. 2009The Group I metabotropic glutamate receptor 5 (mGluR5) can modulate addiction, pain, and neuronal cell death. Expression of some mGluRs, such as Group II and III mGluRs, has been reported in microglia and may affect their activation...
- Endogenous homer proteins regulate metabotropic glutamate receptor signaling in neuronsPaul J Kammermeier
Department of Pharmacology and Physiology, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, New York 14642, USA
J Neurosci 28:8560-7. 2008Group I metabotropic glutamate receptors (mGluR1 and mGluR5) are important neuronal mediators of postsynaptic signaling that influence synaptic strength, plasticity, and other factors...
- Calmodulin dynamically regulates the trafficking of the metabotropic glutamate receptor mGluR5Jeong Ho Lee
Department of Pharmacology, Brain Research Institute, Brain Korea 21 Project for Medical Science, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul 120 752, Korea
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:12575-80. 2008..We have now identified calmodulin (CaM) as a dynamic regulator of mGluR5 trafficking...
- Activation of metabotropic glutamate 5 (mGlu5) receptors induces spontaneous excitatory synaptic currents in layer V pyramidal cells of the rat prefrontal cortexGerard J Marek
Lilly Research Laboratories, Psychiatric Disorders Discovery Biology, Lilly Corporate Center, Mail Drop 0510, Eli Lilly and Company, Indianapolis, IN 46285, United States
Neurosci Lett 442:239-43. 2008..These findings further suggest that monoamines, neuropeptides and glutamate itself all enhance the excitability of prefrontal cortical output cells indirectly via modulation of glutamate release...
- Involvement of group I metabotropic glutamate receptors and glutamate transporters in the slow excitatory synaptic transmission in the spinal cord dorsal hornJ Galik
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Iowa State University, Ames, IA 50011, USA
Neuroscience 154:1372-87. 2008..The results shown here suggest that the activation of both mGluR1 and mGluR5 along with NK1 receptors, may be involved in the generation of the slow EPSC in the spinal cord DH...
- Interaction of N-methyl-D-aspartate and group 5 metabotropic glutamate receptors on behavioral flexibility using a novel operant set-shift paradigmJustin M Darrah
Department of Neuroscience, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15260, USA
Behav Pharmacol 19:225-34. 2008..These results suggest an interaction between NMDA and mGlu5 receptors in cognitive flexibility and may provide a novel therapeutic approach for treating disorders associated with aberrant NMDA function...
- Impoverished rearing impairs working memory and metabotropic glutamate receptor 5 expressionMary L Gregory
Department of Neuroscience, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina 29425, USA
Neuroreport 19:239-43. 2008..Thus, impoverished rearing conditions produce protracted deficits in spatial working memory, in association with reduced prefrontal mGluR 5 function that may be relevant to the etiology of several neuropsychiatric disorders...
- Co-localization of caldesmon and calponin with cortical afferents, metabotropic glutamate and neurotrophic receptors in the lateral and central nuclei of the amygdalaKhristofor Agassandian
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Brain Res 1226:39-55. 2008..TrkB IR in the central nucleus was associated with Cd and Cp-immunoreactive spines whereas mGluR1 alpha IR and mGluR5 IR were almost exclusively associated with the PSDs of asymmetric synapses, in most cases apposed by cortical ..
- Molecular reconstruction of mGluR5a-mediated endocannabinoid signaling cascade in single rat sympathetic neuronsYu Jin Won
Section on Transmitter Signaling, Laboratory of Molecular Physiology, National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 9411, USA
J Neurosci 29:13603-12. 2009..The system provides a platform for testing candidate molecules underlying facilitation of eCB transport across the plasma membrane...
- Importance of Shank3 protein in regulating metabotropic glutamate receptor 5 (mGluR5) expression and signaling at synapsesChiara Verpelli
Department of Pharmacology, CNR Institute of Neuroscience, University of Milan, Milan 20129, Italy
J Biol Chem 286:34839-50. 2011..neuronal cultures and showed that this treatment specifically reduced the synaptic expression of the metabotropic glutamate receptor 5 (mGluR5), but did not affect the expression of other major synaptic proteins...
- Structural plasticity of perisynaptic astrocyte processes involves ezrin and metabotropic glutamate receptorsMonique Lavialle
Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, Unité de Nutrition et Régulation Lipidique des Fonctions Cérébrales 909, 78352 Jouy en Josas, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:12915-9. 2011..The data suggest that (i) ezrin is required for the structural plasticity of PAPs and (ii) mGluRs can stimulate PAP plasticity...
- Metabotropic glutamate receptor mGluR5 is not involved in the early hemodynamic responseNovella Calcinaghi
Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 31:e1-10. 2011Activation of astrocytic metabotropic glutamate receptor 5 (mGluR5) is postulated to elicit calcium transients, triggering a chain of events that ultimately regulates cerebral blood flow by changing the tone of smooth muscle cells of ..
- mGluR5 positive allosteric modulation enhances extinction learning following cocaine self-administrationRichard M Cleva
Center for Drug and Alcohol Programs, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Medical University of South Carolina, SC, USA
Behav Neurosci 125:10-9. 2011..In this study, the authors investigated the effects of the Type-5 metabotropic glutamate receptors (mGluR5) positive allosteric modulator 3-cyano-N-(1,3-diphenyl-1H-pyrazol-5-yl)benzamide (CDPPB) on the extinction of ..
- Potential therapeutic interventions for fragile X syndromeJosien Levenga
CBG Department of Clinical Genetics, Erasmus MC, Dr Molewaterplein 50, 3015 GE, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Trends Mol Med 16:516-27. 2010....
- Protective effect of metabotropic glutamate mGluR5 receptor elimination in a 6-hydroxydopamine model of Parkinson's diseaseYolanda D Black
Department of Neurology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Charlestown, MA 02129, USA
Neurosci Lett 486:161-5. 2010Pharmacologic or genetic blockade of metabotropic glutamate mGlu5 receptors (mGluR5) has been shown to attenuate parkinsonian motor deficits and protect nigrostriatal neurons from damage in the acute MPTP model of Parkinson's disease (PD),..
- Memory for fear extinction requires mGluR5-mediated activation of infralimbic neuronsDARAH E FONTANEZ-NUIN
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Ponce School of Medicine, Ponce, Puerto Rico 00732 7004
Cereb Cortex 21:727-35. 2011..Previous studies have shown that systemic blockade of metabotropic glutamate receptor type 5 (mGluR5) reduces bursting in the mPFC and mGluR5 agonists enhance NMDA receptor currents in vitro, suggesting that mGluR5 ..
- Chronic corticosterone administration down-regulates metabotropic glutamate receptor 5 protein expression in the rat hippocampusA H Iyo
Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior, University of Mississippi Medical Center, 2500 North State Street, Jackson, MS 39216, USA
Neuroscience 169:1567-74. 2010..Recently, we reported reduced levels of metabotropic glutamate receptor subtype 5 (mGluR5) in postmortem brains in MDD, however the neurobiological mechanisms that induce these abnormalities are unclear...
- Regulation of group I metabotropic glutamate receptor expression in the rat striatum and prefrontal cortex in response to amphetamine in vivoChristopher Shaffer
Department of Anesthesiology, School of Medicine, University of Missouri Kansas City, Kansas City, MO 64108, USA
Brain Res 1326:184-92. 2010..Group I mGluRs (mGluR1 and mGluR5 subtypes) are expressed in striatal medium spiny output neurons and are believed to play an important role in the ..
- Activation of mGluR5 induces rapid and long-lasting protein kinase D phosphorylation in hippocampal neuronsDilja D Krueger
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Picower Institute for Learning and Memory, Department of Brain and Cognitive Sciences, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 43 Vassar St, 46 3301, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
J Mol Neurosci 42:1-8. 2010Metabotropic glutamate receptors (mGluRs), including mGluR5, play a central role in regulating the strength and plasticity of synaptic connections in the brain...
- Ultrastructural relationships between cortical, thalamic, and amygdala glutamatergic inputs and group I metabotropic glutamate receptors in the rat accumbensD A Mitrano
Yerkes National Primate Research Center, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
J Comp Neurol 518:1315-29. 2010..to study the ultrastructural relationships between specific glutamatergic afferents and mGluR1a- or mGluR5-containing neurons in the rat nucleus accumbens...
- Metabotropic glutamate receptor 5, but not 1, modulates NMDA receptor-mediated activation of neuronal nitric oxide synthaseMarta Llansola
Laboratory of Neurobiology, Centro de Investigacion Principe Felipe, 46012 Valencia, Spain
Neurochem Int 56:535-45. 2010..The aims of this work were to assess: (a) whether activation of group I mGluRs (mGluR1 or mGluR5) impairs NMDA-induced activation of the glutamate-nitric oxide-cGMP pathway; (b) which mGluR (1 or 5) is ..
- Loss of object recognition memory produced by extended access to methamphetamine self-administration is reversed by positive allosteric modulation of metabotropic glutamate receptor 5Carmela M Reichel
Department of Neurosciences, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 36:782-92. 2011..metabotropic glutamate receptor (mGluR) expression, and the possible reversal of cognitive impairments with the mGluR5 allosteric modulator, 3-cyano-N-(1,3-diphenyl-1H-pyrazol-5-yl) benzamide (CDPPB)...
- Radiolabeling and in vitro and in vivo evaluation of [18F]-FE-DABP688 as a PET radioligand for the metabotropic glutamate receptor subtype 5Michael Honer
Animal Imaging Center PET, Center for Radiopharmaceutical Science of ETH, PSI and USZ, ETH Hoenggerberg, CH 8093 Zurich, Switzerland
Nucl Med Biol 34:973-80. 2007..FE-DABP688 was radiolabeled with fluorine-18 and characterized as a PET imaging agent for the metabotropic glutamate receptor subtype 5 (mGluR5).
- Regional expression and regulation of alternative forms of mRNAs derived from two distinct transcription initiation sites of the rat mGluR5 geneS Yamaguchi
Department of Biological Sciences, Kyoto University Faculty of Medicine, Japan
J Neurochem 71:60-8. 1998..To investigate the mechanism underlying the regulation of mGluR5 expression, we isolated and characterized genomic clones containing the 5'-upstream exons and their flanking ..
- The mGlu5 metabotropic glutamate receptor is expressed in zones of active neurogenesis of the embryonic and postnatal brainV D Di Giorgi Gerevini
Department of Human Physiology, University of Rome La Sapienza, Piazzale Aldo Moro 5, 00195 Rome, Italy
Brain Res Dev Brain Res 150:17-22. 2004..These data suggest a role for mGlu5 receptors in the early brain development and in basic cellular processes such as proliferation and/or differentiation...
- Metabotropic glutamate receptor 5 (mGluR5)-mediated phosphoinositide hydrolysis and NMDA-potentiating effects are blunted in the striatum of aged rats: a possible additional mechanism in striatal senescenceMaria Rosaria Domenici
Department of Pharmacology, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Viale Regina Elena, 299 00161 Rome, Italy
Eur J Neurosci 17:2047-55. 2003....
- mGluR5-dependent increases in immediate early gene expression in the rat striatum following acute administration of amphetamineNikhil K Parelkar
Division of Pharmacy, School of Pharmacology, University of Missouri Kansas City, 2411 Holmes Street, Room M3 225, Kansas City, MO, USA
Brain Res Mol Brain Res 122:151-7. 2004b>Metabotropic glutamate receptor 5 (mGluR5) is densely expressed in medium-sized spiny projection neurons of the rat striatum. Activation of mGluR5 increases intracellular Ca2+, resulting in Ca(2+)-dependent cellular responses...
- Heptahelical domain of metabotropic glutamate receptor 5 behaves like rhodopsin-like receptorsCyril Goudet
Department of Molecular Pharmacology, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Unite Propre de Recherche 2580, CCIPE, 34094 Montpellier Cedex 5, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:378-83. 2004..Here, we show that the HD of metabotropic glutamate receptor 5 (mGlu(5)) displays the same agonist-independent constitutive activity as the wild-type receptor...
- Activation of metabotropic glutamate receptor mGlu5 on nuclear membranes mediates intranuclear Ca2+ changes in heterologous cell types and neuronsKAREN L O'MALLEY
Department of Anatomy, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Biol Chem 278:28210-9. 2003..Similarly, activation of mGlu5 receptors expressed on neuronal nuclei led to sustained Ca2+ oscillatory responses. These results suggest mGlu5 may mediate intranuclear signaling pathways...
- The mGluR5 selective antagonist 6-methyl-2-(phenylethynyl)-pyridine reduces the spinal neuron pain-related activity in mononeuropathic ratsMaria Luisa Sotgiu
Istituto di Bioimmagini e Fisiologia Molecolare, CNR, Via Fratelli Cervi 93, 20090 Mi, Segrate, Italy
Neurosci Lett 342:85-8. 2003..CCI rats), showing behavioural signs of neuropathic pain, 6-methyl-2-(phenylethynyl)-pyridine (MPEP), a selective mGluR5 antagonist, was intraperitoneally administered at 0.75, 1.0 and 1...
- A variant of metabotropic glutamate receptor subtype 5: an evolutionally conserved insertion with no termination codonR Minakami
Department of Biology, Faculty of Science, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 194:622-7. 1993We herein report the presence of a variant of the rat metabotropic glutamate receptor subtype 5 (mGluR5) cDNA. In this variant, named mGluR5b, an extra 96 bp sequence is inserted into the originally reported mGluR5 cDNA...
- Distinct functional roles of the metabotropic glutamate receptors 1 and 5 in the rat globus pallidusOlga V Poisik
Yerkes National Primate Research Center, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
J Neurosci 23:122-30. 2003..Here, we report that group I mGluR1 and mGluR5 have distinct functional roles in type II neurons of the rat globus pallidus (GP)...
- The group I metabotropic glutamate receptor mGluR5 is required for fear memory formation and long-term potentiation in the lateral amygdalaSarina M Rodrigues
W M Keck Foundation Laboratory of Neurobiology, Center for Neural Science, New York University, New York, New York 10003, USA
J Neurosci 22:5219-29. 2002The group I metabotropic glutamate receptor subtype mGluR5 has been shown to play a key role in the modulation of synaptic plasticity...
- Role of protein phosphatase 2A in mGluR5-regulated MEK/ERK phosphorylation in neuronsLimin Mao
Department of Basic Medical Science, University of Missouri Kansas City, School of Medicine, Kansas City, Missouri 64108, USA
J Biol Chem 280:12602-10. 2005..However, signaling mechanisms linking mGluR5 to ERK are poorly understood...
- Blockade of metabotropic glutamate receptor 5 activation inhibits mechanical hypersensitivity following abdominal surgerySharron Dolan
Department of Biological and Biomedical Sciences, Glasgow Caledonian University, Cowcaddens Road, Glasgow, UK
Eur J Pain 11:644-51. 2007..01 vs. vehicle treatment). MPEP had no effect on acute nociceptive thresholds in naïve animals. These data suggest that activity at mGlu5 receptors contributes to development of pain and hypersensitivity following surgery...
- Behavioral expression of cocaine sensitization in rats is accompanied by a distinct pattern of modifications in the PKA/DARPP-32 signaling pathwaySimona Scheggi
Department of Neuroscience, Pharmacology Unit, University of Siena, Siena, Italy
J Neurochem 103:1168-83. 2007..and modifications in the DARPP-32 phosphorylation pattern, cAMP-dependent protein kinase (PKA) activity, and mGluR5 tone in the medial prefrontal cortex and nucleus accumbens...
- Fragile X mental retardation protein deficiency leads to excessive mGluR5-dependent internalization of AMPA receptorsMika Nakamoto
Department of Human Genetics, Emory University School of Medicine, 615 Michael Street, Whitehead Biomedical Research Building, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:15537-42. 2007..synaptic stimulation by an exogenous agonist and was rescued by 2-methyl-6-phenylethynyl-pyridine (MPEP), an mGluR5-specific inverse agonist...
- Low-frequency stimulation induces a new form of LTP, metabotropic glutamate (mGlu5) receptor- and PKA-dependent, in the CA1 area of the rat hippocampusFabien Lanté
Laboratoire Plasticité Cérébrale, FRE 2693 CNRS, Universite Montpellier II, 34095 Montpellier Cedex 05, France
Hippocampus 16:345-60. 2006..This new form of LTP could represent the mnesic engram of mild and repetitive stimulation involved in latent learning...
- Co-localization and functional interaction between adenosine A(2A) and metabotropic group 5 receptors in glutamatergic nerve terminals of the rat striatumRicardo J Rodrigues
Centre for Neuroscience of Coimbra, Institute of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, University of Coimbra, 3004 504 Coimbra, Portugal
J Neurochem 92:433-41. 2005The anti-Parkinsonian effect of glutamate metabotropic group 5 (mGluR5) and adenosine A(2A) receptor antagonists is believed to result from their ability to postsynaptically control the responsiveness of the indirect pathway that is ..
- [Expression changes of metabotropic glutamate receptor 5 in neuropathic pain]Hong Yan Yan
Department of Anesthesiology, PUMC Hospital, CAMS and PUMC, Beijing 100730, China
Zhongguo Yi Xue Ke Xue Yuan Xue Bao 29:111-6. 2007To investigate the expression changes of metabotropic glutamate receptor 5 (mGluR5) in neuropathic pain.
- Global ischemia downregulates the function of metabotropic glutamate receptor subtype 5 in hippocampal CA1 pyramidal neuronsTu Hsueh Yeh
Department of Neurology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Kwei San, Tao Yuan, Taiwan, ROC
Mol Cell Neurosci 29:484-92. 2005..electrophysiological and immunohistochemical studies showed that metabotropic glutamate receptor subtype 5 (mGluR5) is the major postsynaptic mGluR expressed in CA1 pyramidal neurons...
- Prolonged blockade of NMDA or mGluR5 glutamate receptors reduces nigrostriatal degeneration while inducing selective metabolic changes in the basal ganglia circuitry in a rodent model of Parkinson's diseaseMarie Therese Armentero
Laboratory of Functional Neurochemistry, IRCCS Neurological Institute C Mondino, Via Mondino, 2, 27100 Pavia, Italy
Neurobiol Dis 22:1-9. 2006..of SNc neurons was also observed following treatment with the metabotropic glutamate receptor (mGluR5) antagonist 2-methyl-6-(phenylehtynyl)-pyridine (MPEP)...
- Metabotropic glutamate subtype 5 receptors modulate locomotor activity and sensorimotor gating in rodentsGene G Kinney
Department of Neuroscience, Merck, West Point, PA 19486, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 306:116-23. 2003..Activation of the metabotropic glutamate receptor subtype 5 (mGluR5) enhances NMDAR-mediated currents in vitro...
- Neurotensin inhibition of GABAergic transmission via mGluR-induced endocannabinoid signalling in rat periaqueductal greyV A Mitchell
Pain Management Research Institute, Northern Clinical School, University of Sydney at Royal North Shore Hospital, St Leonards, NSW, Australia
J Physiol 587:2511-20. 2009..The neurotensin induced inhibition of evoked IPSCs was reduced by the mGluR5 antagonist MPEP (5microM) and abolished by the cannabinoid CB(1) receptor antagonist AM251 (3 microM)...
- Metabotropic glutamate receptors activate phospholipase D in astrocytes through a protein kinase C-dependent and Rho-independent pathwayJoan Marc Servitja
Departament de Bioquimica i Biologia Molecular, Facultat de Medicina, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, 08193 Bellaterra, Barcelona, Spain
Neuropharmacology 44:171-80. 2003..Taken together, these results indicate that PLD activation by mGluRs in astrocytes is dependent on PKC and small G proteins of the ARF family, but does not require Rho proteins...
- Synergistic interaction between adenosine A2A and glutamate mGlu5 receptors: implications for striatal neuronal functionSergi Ferre
Behavioral Neuroscience Branch, National Institute on Drug Abuse, National Institutes of Health, Intramural Research Program, Baltimore, MD 21224, U SA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:11940-5. 2002..and in vivo evidence for a synergism between adenosine and glutamate based on subtype 5 metabotropic glutamate (mGluR5) and adenosine A2A (A2AR) receptor/receptor interactions...
- Involvement of metabotropic glutamate 5 receptor in visceral painErik Lindstrom
AstraZeneca R and D, Molndal, Sweden
Pain 137:295-305. 2008Metabotropic glutamate 5 receptor (mGluR5) antagonists are effective in animal models of inflammatory and neuropathic pain. The involvement of mGluR5 in visceral pain pathways from the gastrointestinal tract is as yet unknown...
- The actin-binding protein Filamin-A interacts with the metabotropic glutamate receptor type 7Ralf Enz
Institut fur Biochemie, Friedrich Alexander Universitat Erlangen Nurnberg, Fahrstrasse 17, D 91054 Erlangen, Germany
FEBS Lett 514:184-8. 2002..Finally, co-expression of Filamin-A and mGluR7 splice variants was shown in brain regions. These findings suggest that Filamin-A may physically link metabotropic glutamate receptors to the actin cytoskeleton...
- Expression of metabotropic glutamate receptors in rat meningeal and brain microvasculature and choroid plexusSamantha E Gillard
Eli Lilly and Company, Lilly Corporate Center, Indianapolis, Indiana 46285, USA
J Comp Neurol 461:317-32. 2003..mGluR2/3, mGluR4a, mGluR5, and mGluR7 were also expressed in meningeal microvasculature...
- Membrane topology of a metabotropic glutamate receptorGautam Bhave
Division of Neuroscience, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Biol Chem 278:30294-301. 2003..In the present study, we set out to test whether mGluR5 has seven true transmembrane domains...
- Activation of metabotropic glutamate receptor 5 modulates microglial reactivity and neurotoxicity by inhibiting NADPH oxidaseDavid J Loane
Department of Neuroscience, Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, D C 20057, USA
J Biol Chem 284:15629-39. 2009..We demonstrate that the group I receptor member mGluR5 is highly expressed in primary microglial cultures and the BV2 microglial cell line...
- Localization of kainate receptor subunit GluR5-immunoreactive cells in the rat hypothalamusOzhan Eyigor
Department of Histology and Embryology, Uludag University, Faculty of Medicine, Gorukle Kampusu, 16059, Bursa, Turkey
Brain Res Mol Brain Res 136:38-44. 2005....
- Species differences in mGluR5 binding sites in mammalian central nervous system determined using in vitro binding with [18F]F-PEBShil Patel
Department of Research Imaging, Merck Research Laboratories, West Point, PA 19486, USA
Nucl Med Biol 34:1009-17. 2007..1-0.15 nM, n> or =3) to a saturable site previously shown to be metabotropic glutamate receptor 5 (mGluR5; Patel S, Ndubizu O, Hamill T, Chaudhary A, Burns HD, Hargreaves RJ, Gibson RE...
- Rap1-induced p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase activation facilitates AMPA receptor trafficking via the GDI.Rab5 complex. Potential role in (S)-3,5-dihydroxyphenylglycene-induced long term depressionChiung Chun Huang
Department of Pharmacology, College of Medicine, National Cheng Kung University, No 1 University Road, Tainan City 701, Taiwan
J Biol Chem 279:12286-92. 2004..p38 MAPK through G protein betagamma-subunit, small GTPase Rap1, and MAPK kinase 3/6 (MKK3/6), thus resulting in mGluR5-dependent LTD...
- The role of group I metabotropic glutamate receptors in acquisition and expression of contextual and auditory fear conditioning in rats - a comparisonA Gravius
Preclinical R and D, Merz Pharmaceuticals GmbH, Eckenheimer Landstrasse 100, 60318 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Neuropharmacology 51:1146-55. 2006..The purpose of the present study was to evaluate the contribution of mGluR1 and mGluR5 to both acquisition and expression of behaviours in contextual and auditory fear conditioning models...
- Glutamate (mGluR-5) gene expression in brain regions of streptozotocin induced diabetic rats as a function of age: role in regulation of calcium release from the pancreatic islets in vitroSavitha Balakrishnan
Molecular Neurobiology and Cell Biology Unit, Centre for Neuroscience, Department of Biotechnology, Cochin University of Science and Technology, Cochin 682 022, Kerala, India
J Biomed Sci 16:99. 2009..Also, the regulatory role of glutamate receptors in calcium release has immense therapeutic application in insulin secretion and function...
- Cell surface expression of GluR5 kainate receptors is regulated by an endoplasmic reticulum retention signalZhao Ren
Department of Molecular Pharmacology, Physiology and Biotechnology, Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island 02912, USA
J Biol Chem 278:52700-9. 2003..Taken together, our results identify novel trafficking signals in the C-terminal domain of GluR5-2b and demonstrate that alternative splicing is an important mechanism regulating KAR function...
- Group I metabotropic glutamate receptors bind to protein phosphatase 1C. Mapping and modeling of interacting sequencesCristina Croci
Emil Fischer Zentrum, Institut fur Biochemie, Friedrich Alexander Universitat Erlangen Nurnberg, Fahrstr 17, Erlangen 91054, Germany
J Biol Chem 278:50682-90. 2003..In summary, these results provide a molecular description of the interaction between protein phosphatase 1C and metabotropic glutamate receptors and thereby increase our understanding of glutamatergic signal transduction...
- Selective antagonism of GluR5 kainate-receptor-mediated synaptic currents by topiramate in rat basolateral amygdala neuronsDivina S Gryder
Epilepsy Research Section, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 4457, USA
J Neurosci 23:7069-74. 2003..Moreover, these results support the concept that GluR5 kainate receptors represent a novel target for antiepileptic drug development...
- The association of metabotropic glutamate receptor type 5 with the neuronal Ca2+-binding protein 2 modulates receptor functionLaia Canela
IDIBAPS, CIBERNED and Departament de Bioquímica i Biologia Molecular, Facultat de Biologia, Universitat de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
J Neurochem 111:555-67. 2009..Overall, these findings indicate that NECAB2 by its physical interaction with mGlu(5b) receptor modulates receptor function...
- Metabotropic glutamate 5 receptor blockade alleviates akinesia by normalizing activity of selective basal-ganglia structures in parkinsonian ratsNathalie Breysse
Laboratoire de Neurobiologie de la Cognition, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, 13402 Marseille, France
J Neurosci 23:8302-9. 2003..Furthermore, chronic treatment with the mGluR5 antagonist 2-methyl-6-(phenylethylnyl)-pyridine alleviated the akinesia and was associated with a normalization of ..
- Cellular localization of metabotropic glutamate receptors mGluR1, 2/3, 5 and 7 in the main and accessory olfactory bulb of the ratY Sahara
Department of Maxillofacial Biology, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, 1 5 45 Yushima, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8549, Japan
Neurosci Lett 312:59-62. 2001..These differences in the distribution of mGluRs in the MOB and AOB may reflect differences in synaptic transmission and sensitivity to neuromodulation in the two systems...
- Structure of the Homer EVH1 domain-peptide complex reveals a new twist in polyproline recognitionJ Beneken
Department of Biophysics and Biophysical Chemistry, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Neuron 26:143-54. 2000..Site-directed mutagenesis confirms the importance of specific Homer residues for ligand binding. These results establish a molecular basis for understanding the biological properties of Homer-ligand complexes...
- Antagonism of metabotropic glutamate receptor type 5 attenuates l-DOPA-induced dyskinesia and its molecular and neurochemical correlates in a rat model of Parkinson's diseaseFlora Mela
Basal Ganglia Pathophysiology Unit, Department of Experimental Medical Science, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
J Neurochem 101:483-97. 2007Metabotropic glutamate receptor type 5 (mGluR5) modulates dopamine and glutamate neurotransmission at central synapses...
- Dynamin 3 is a component of the postsynapse, where it interacts with mGluR5 and HomerNoah W Gray
Molecular Neuroscience Program and Graduate School, Mayo Clinic, 200 First Street, S W, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Curr Biol 13:510-5. 2003..These data suggest that Dyn3 is a postsynaptic dynamin and, like its binding partner Homer, plays a significant role in dendritic spine morphogenesis and remodeling...
- Metabotropic Receptors: Structure/Function/RegulationKAREN O MALLEY; Fiscal Year: 2006..We anticipate that these investigations of mGluR dimerization will deepen our understanding of neural communication and signal transduction, processes that underlie brain function and dysfunction. ..
- MODULATION OF DOPAMINE AUTORECEPTOR FUNCTION BY COCAINEKAREN O MALLEY; Fiscal Year: 2001..Taken together these studies will significantly extend our ongoing efforts to understand the complex receptor/presynaptic effector interactions involved in the reinforcing and behavioral sensitization effects of cocaine. ..
- Involvement of mGluR5 in inhibitory avoidance and agingAgnes Simonyi; Fiscal Year: 2004..It is predicted that among the mGluR ligands proposed to be studied, only the mGluR5 antagonist will cause a memory deficit...
- Signaling By Nuclear G-Protein Coupled ReceptorsKAREN O MALLEY; Fiscal Year: 2005..Because preliminary results indicate that mGluR5 receptors are expressed on both nuclear and plasma membranes in striatal cultures, these preparations will be used ..
- Prefrontal Glutamate and Working MemoryMary Gregory; Fiscal Year: 2006..This study proposes to investigate the effects of differential housing on glutamatergic transmission within the PFC and the relationship of these changes to working memory. ..
- Glutamate Signaling and Drug AbuseMOHAMMADHOSSEIN GHASEMZADEH; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- TRANSCRIPTIONAL CONTROL OF NEUROENDOCRINE GENESKAREN O MALLEY; Fiscal Year: 2007..Knowledge gained from these studies may offer new routes for therapeutic intervention. ..
- Functional Consequences of Nuclear mGlu5 Receptor ActivationKAREN O MALLEY; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- MECHANISMS OF NEURONAL DEATH IN PARKINSON'S DISEASEKAREN O MALLEY; Fiscal Year: 2008..If so, novel therapies can be targeted to the elucidated control points in order to stop or slow disease progression. ..