Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Fas3
Description: Fasciclin 3
Alias: CG5803, Dmel\CG5803, FAS III, FAS3, FASIII, Fas, Fas III, Fas-3, Fas-III, FasIII, FasIIIface, FascIII, fas III, fas-III, fas3, fasIII, fascIII, fasciclin 3, CG5803-PA, CG5803-PB, CG5803-PC, CG5803-PD, CG5803-PE, CG5803-PF, CG5803-PG, Fas3-PA, Fas3-PB, Fas3-PC, Fas3-PD, Fas3-PE, Fas3-PF, Fas3-PG, Fasciclin-3, Fasciclin-III, Fasciclin3, FasciclinIII, FsciclinIII, fascicilin III, fasciclin, fasciclin III, fascilin III, fasiciclin III, fasicilin III, fasiclin III
Species: fruit fly
- Layden M, Odden J, Schmid A, Garces A, Thor S, Doe C. Zfh1, a somatic motor neuron transcription factor, regulates axon exit from the CNS. Dev Biol. 2006;291:253-63 pubmed..g. Islet, Hb9, Nkx6, Lim3)--to project laterally and exit the CNS. We conclude that Zfh1 is required for ventral motor axon exit from the CNS. ..
- Szafranski P, Goode S. A Fasciclin 2 morphogenetic switch organizes epithelial cell cluster polarity and motility. Development. 2004;131:2023-36 pubmed..that just preceding cell cluster delamination, expression of transmembrane immunoglobulin superfamily member, Fasciclin 2, is lost in outer border cells, but not in inner polar cells of the cluster...
- Song X, Xie T. Wingless signaling regulates the maintenance of ovarian somatic stem cells in Drosophila. Development. 2003;130:3259-68 pubmed..Possibly, mechanisms regulating proliferation and differentiation of epithelial cells, including epithelial stem cells, is conserved from Drosophila to man. ..
- Garlena R, Gonda R, Green A, Pileggi R, Stronach B. Regulation of mixed-lineage kinase activation in JNK-dependent morphogenesis. J Cell Sci. 2010;123:3177-88 pubmed publisher..Finally, expression of various Slpr constructs alone or with upstream activators reveals a wide-ranging response at the cell and tissue level. ..
- Klapper R, Stute C, Schomaker O, Strasser T, Janning W, Renkawitz Pohl R, et al. The formation of syncytia within the visceral musculature of the Drosophila midgut is dependent on duf, sns and mbc. Mech Dev. 2002;110:85-96 pubmed..Our results provide strong evidence that the founder-cell hypothesis also applies to visceral myogenesis, employing the same genetic components as are used in the somatic myoblast fusion processes. ..
- Gregory S, Brown N. kakapo, a gene required for adhesion between and within cell layers in Drosophila, encodes a large cytoskeletal linker protein related to plectin and dystrophin. J Cell Biol. 1998;143:1271-82 pubmed..Kakapo is also expressed more widely at a lower level where it is essential for epidermal cell layer stability. These results suggest that the Kakapo protein forms essential links among integrins, actin, and microtubules. ..
- Moussian B, Tång E, Tonning A, Helms S, Schwarz H, NUSSLEIN VOLHARD C, et al. Drosophila Knickkopf and Retroactive are needed for epithelial tube growth and cuticle differentiation through their specific requirement for chitin filament organization. Development. 2006;133:163-71 pubmed..We propose a model in which Knk and the predicted chitin-binding protein Rtv form membrane complexes essential for epithelial tubulogenesis and cuticle formation through their specific role in directing chitin filament assembly...
- Takahashi M, Takahashi F, Ui Tei K, Kojima T, Saigo K. Requirements of genetic interactions between Src42A, armadillo and shotgun, a gene encoding E-cadherin, for normal development in Drosophila. Development. 2005;132:2547-59 pubmed..Src42A and Src64 were required for Armadillo tyrosine residue phosphorylation but Src activity may not be directly involved in Armadillo tyrosine residue phosphorylation at the adherens junction. ..
- Devenport D, Brown N. Morphogenesis in the absence of integrins: mutation of both Drosophila beta subunits prevents midgut migration. Development. 2004;131:5405-15 pubmed..Having generated the tools to eliminate integrin function completely, we confirm that Drosophila integrins do not control proliferation as they do in mammals, and have identified alphaPS3 as a heterodimeric partner for betanu. ..
- Van de Bor V, Zimniak G, Cerezo D, Schaub S, Noselli S. Asymmetric localisation of cytokine mRNA is essential for JAK/STAT activation during cell invasiveness. Development. 2011;138:1383-93 pubmed publisher..These findings reveal a novel post-transcriptional regulatory mechanism of JAK/STAT signalling in the control of epithelial cell invasiveness. ..
- Kirilly D, Spana E, Perrimon N, Padgett R, Xie T. BMP signaling is required for controlling somatic stem cell self-renewal in the Drosophila ovary. Dev Cell. 2005;9:651-62 pubmed..Our work further suggests that BMP signaling could promote self-renewal of adult stem cells in other systems. ..
- Niewiadomska P, Godt D, Tepass U. DE-Cadherin is required for intercellular motility during Drosophila oogenesis. J Cell Biol. 1999;144:533-47 pubmed..Finally, we show that the upregulation of DE-cadherin expression in border cells depends on the activity of the Drosophila C/EBP transcription factor that is essential for border cell migration. ..
- Stute C, Schimmelpfeng K, Renkawitz Pohl R, Palmer R, Holz A. Myoblast determination in the somatic and visceral mesoderm depends on Notch signalling as well as on milliways(mili(Alk)) as receptor for Jeb signalling. Development. 2004;131:743-54 pubmed..This novel mechanism uncovers a crosstalk between somatic and visceral mesoderm leading not only to the determination of different cell types but also maintains the separation of mesodermal tissues, the somatic and splanchnic mesoderm. ..
- Torres I, Lopez Schier H, St Johnston D. A Notch/Delta-dependent relay mechanism establishes anterior-posterior polarity in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2003;5:547-58 pubmed..The anterior-posterior axis is therefore established by a relay mechanism, which propagates polarity from one cyst to the next. ..
- Leatherman J, Dinardo S. Zfh-1 controls somatic stem cell self-renewal in the Drosophila testis and nonautonomously influences germline stem cell self-renewal. Cell Stem Cell. 2008;3:44-54 pubmed publisher..In contrast, germline-intrinsic STAT activation was insufficient for GSC renewal. These data reveal unexpected complexity in cell interactions in the niche, implicating CPCs in GSC self-renewal. ..
- Woods D, Wu J, Bryant P. Localization of proteins to the apico-lateral junctions of Drosophila epithelia. Dev Genet. 1997;20:111-8 pubmed..marking filamentous actin, labeled the site of the adherens junction, whereas antibodies to Discs large (DIg), Fasciclin III (FasIII) and Coracle (Cor) labeled the more basal septate junction...
- Singh S, Zheng Z, Wang H, Oh S, Chen X, Hou S. Competitiveness for the niche and mutual dependence of the germline and somatic stem cells in the Drosophila testis are regulated by the JAK/STAT signaling. J Cell Physiol. 2010;223:500-10 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that a single JAK/STAT signal from the niche orchestrate the competitive and dependent co-existence of GSCs and CPCs in the Drosophila testis niche. ..
- Phillis R, Bramlage A, Wotus C, Whittaker A, Gramates L, Seppala D, et al. Isolation of mutations affecting neural circuitry required for grooming behavior in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1993;133:581-92 pubmed..We have also used our assay to test the grooming ability of stocks containing mutations that produce known neural defects. ..
- Boyle M, Bonini N, DiNardo S. Expression and function of clift in the development of somatic gonadal precursors within the Drosophila mesoderm. Development. 1997;124:971-82 pubmed..Thus, these studies identify essential regulators of gonadal precursor specification and differentiation and reveal novel aspects of the general mechanism whereby distinct fates are allocated within the mesoderm. ..
- Zhang Y, Kalderon D. Regulation of cell proliferation and patterning in Drosophila oogenesis by Hedgehog signaling. Development. 2000;127:2165-76 pubmed..Loss of protein kinase A activity restores the proliferation of somatic cells in the absence of Hh activity and allows the formation of normally patterned ovarioles. Hence, localized Hh is not essential to direct egg chamber patterning. ..
- Wolfstetter G, Holz A. The role of LamininB2 (LanB2) during mesoderm differentiation in Drosophila. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2012;69:267-82 pubmed publisher..We also observed genetic interactions with kon-tiki and thrombospondin, indicating a role for laminin during muscle attachment. ..
- Uemura T, Oda H, Kraut R, Hayashi S, Kotaoka Y, Takeichi M. Zygotic Drosophila E-cadherin expression is required for processes of dynamic epithelial cell rearrangement in the Drosophila embryo. Genes Dev. 1996;10:659-71 pubmed
- Bodmer R. The gene tinman is required for specification of the heart and visceral muscles in Drosophila. Development. 1993;118:719-29 pubmed
- Bour B, O Brien M, Lockwood W, Goldstein E, Bodmer R, Taghert P, et al. Drosophila MEF2, a transcription factor that is essential for myogenesis. Genes Dev. 1995;9:730-41 pubmed..These results indicate that MEF2 is required for later aspects of differentiation of the three major types of musculature, which include body wall muscles, gut musculature, and the heart, in the Drosophila embryo. ..
- Kiger A, White Cooper H, Fuller M. Somatic support cells restrict germline stem cell self-renewal and promote differentiation. Nature. 2000;407:750-4 pubmed
- Paul S, Ternet M, Salvaterra P, Beitel G. The Na+/K+ ATPase is required for septate junction function and epithelial tube-size control in the Drosophila tracheal system. Development. 2003;130:4963-74 pubmed
- Yamashita Y, Jones D, Fuller M. Orientation of asymmetric stem cell division by the APC tumor suppressor and centrosome. Science. 2003;301:1547-50 pubmed
- Sun J, Deng W. Notch-dependent downregulation of the homeodomain gene cut is required for the mitotic cycle/endocycle switch and cell differentiation in Drosophila follicle cells. Development. 2005;132:4299-308 pubmed..Our data suggest that Cut functions in regulating both cell differentiation and the cell cycle, and that downregulation of Cut by Notch contributes to the mitotic cycle/endocycle switch and cell differentiation in follicle cells. ..
- Broihier H, Kuzin A, Zhu Y, Odenwald W, Skeath J. Drosophila homeodomain protein Nkx6 coordinates motoneuron subtype identity and axonogenesis. Development. 2004;131:5233-42 pubmed..Furthermore, Nkx6 is necessary for the expression of the neural adhesion molecule Fasciclin III in Nkx6-positive motoneurons...
- Ward E, Zhou X, Riddiford L, Berg C, Ruohola Baker H. Border of Notch activity establishes a boundary between the two dorsal appendage tube cell types. Dev Biol. 2006;297:461-70 pubmed..Generating a boundary by the Notch pathway might constitute an evolutionarily conserved first step during organ formation in many tissues. ..
- Snow P, Bieber A, Goodman C. Fasciclin III: a novel homophilic adhesion molecule in Drosophila. Cell. 1989;59:313-23 pubmedDrosophila fasciclin III is an integral membrane glycoprotein that is expressed on a subset of neurons and fasciculating axons in the developing CNS, as well as in several other tissues during development...
- Zarnescu D, Thomas G. Apical spectrin is essential for epithelial morphogenesis but not apicobasal polarity in Drosophila. J Cell Biol. 1999;146:1075-86 pubmed
- Urbano J, Torgler C, Molnar C, Tepass U, López Varea A, Brown N, et al. Drosophila laminins act as key regulators of basement membrane assembly and morphogenesis. Development. 2009;136:4165-76 pubmed publisher..We propose that while an early function of laminins in gastrulation is not conserved in Drosophila and mammals, their function in basement membrane assembly and organogenesis seems to be maintained throughout evolution. ..
- McGregor J, Xi R, Harrison D. JAK signaling is somatically required for follicle cell differentiation in Drosophila. Development. 2002;129:705-17 pubmed..Consistent with these data is a model in which Notch signaling determines a pool of cells to be competent to adopt stalk or polar fate, while JAK signaling assigns specific identity within that competent pool. ..
- Dumstrei K, Wang F, Shy D, Tepass U, Hartenstein V. Interaction between EGFR signaling and DE-cadherin during nervous system morphogenesis. Development. 2002;129:3983-94 pubmed..Finally, EGFR can be co-immunoprecipitated with anti-DE-cadherin and anti-Armadillo antibodies from embryonic protein extracts. We propose that EGFR signaling plays a role in morphogenesis by modulating cell adhesion. ..
- Assa Kunik E, Torres I, Schejter E, Johnston D, Shilo B. Drosophila follicle cells are patterned by multiple levels of Notch signaling and antagonism between the Notch and JAK/STAT pathways. Development. 2007;134:1161-9 pubmed
- Knust E, Bossinger O. Composition and formation of intercellular junctions in epithelial cells. Science. 2002;298:1955-9 pubmed..Comparisons between fly, worm, and vertebrate epithelia reveal marked similarities with respect to the molecules used, and pronounced differences in the organization of the junctions themselves. ..
- Stronach B, Perrimon N. Activation of the JNK pathway during dorsal closure in Drosophila requires the mixed lineage kinase, slipper. Genes Dev. 2002;16:377-87 pubmed..Furthermore, our results show that other putative JNKKKs cannot compensate for the loss of slpr function and, thus, may regulate other JNK or MAPK-dependent processes. ..
- Fraichard S, Bouge A, Chauvel I, Bouhin H. Tenectin, a novel extracellular matrix protein expressed during Drosophila melanogaster embryonic development. Gene Expr Patterns. 2006;6:772-6 pubmed..In the hindgut and the trachea, Tnc protein is expressed on the apical pole of the cells. Tnc is an extracellular matrix protein secreted in a polarized way in different organs of Drosophila embryos. ..
- Morel V, Arias A. Armadillo/beta-catenin-dependent Wnt signalling is required for the polarisation of epidermal cells during dorsal closure in Drosophila. Development. 2004;131:3273-83 pubmed..g. Flamingo, PCP Wingless signalling is not involved in DC. ..
- Prokop A, Landgraf M, Rushton E, Broadie K, Bate M. Presynaptic development at the Drosophila neuromuscular junction: assembly and localization of presynaptic active zones. Neuron. 1996;17:617-26 pubmed..Thus, the process of synapse formation can be genetically separated from the process of target recognition, revealing that localization of presynaptic active zones requires mef2-dependent muscle differentiation. ..
- Walsh E, Brown N. A screen to identify Drosophila genes required for integrin-mediated adhesion. Genetics. 1998;150:791-805 pubmed..Thus several of these loci are good candidates for genes encoding cytoplasmic proteins required for integrin function. ..
- Pinheiro E, Montell D. Requirement for Par-6 and Bazooka in Drosophila border cell migration. Development. 2004;131:5243-51 pubmed..Taken together, these results indicate that cells need not lose apical/basal polarity in order to invade neighboring tissues and in some cases even require such polarity for proper motility. ..
- Bellen H, O Kane C, Wilson C, Grossniklaus U, Pearson R, Gehring W. P-element-mediated enhancer detection: a versatile method to study development in Drosophila. Genes Dev. 1989;3:1288-300 pubmed..In light of our results, we discuss the diversity and complexity of cis-acting regulatory elements in the genome and the general applications of the enhancer detector method for the study of Drosophila development. ..
- McDonald J, Khodyakova A, Aranjuez G, Dudley C, Montell D. PAR-1 kinase regulates epithelial detachment and directional protrusion of migrating border cells. Curr Biol. 2008;18:1659-67 pubmed publisher..Thus, this work reveals new insights into two distinct, but essential, steps of epithelial cell migration. ..
- Tepass U, Hartenstein V. Epithelium formation in the Drosophila midgut depends on the interaction of endoderm and mesoderm. Development. 1994;120:579-90 pubmed
- Polesello C, Tapon N. Salvador-warts-hippo signaling promotes Drosophila posterior follicle cell maturation downstream of notch. Curr Biol. 2007;17:1864-70 pubmed..The PCP members of the SWH network are not involved in this process, indicating that signaling upstream of Hpo varies according to developmental context. ..
- Takahashi K, Matsuo T, Katsube T, Ueda R, Yamamoto D. Direct binding between two PDZ domain proteins Canoe and ZO-1 and their roles in regulation of the jun N-terminal kinase pathway in Drosophila morphogenesis. Mech Dev. 1998;78:97-111 pubmed..The ZO-1-Cno complex may be involved in dynamic changes in cytoskeletal organization and cell adhesion during morphogenetic events associated with dorsal closure in the Drosophila embryo. ..
- Wang Y, Riechmann V. The role of the actomyosin cytoskeleton in coordination of tissue growth during Drosophila oogenesis. Curr Biol. 2007;17:1349-55 pubmed..Myosin is activated at the apical cortex by localized Rho kinase and inhibited at the basolateral cortex by PP1beta9C. In addition, our data indicate that active myosin is apically anchored by the Baz/Par-6/aPKC complex. ..
- Nystul T, Spradling A. Regulation of epithelial stem cell replacement and follicle formation in the Drosophila ovary. Genetics. 2010;184:503-15 pubmed publisher..These studies provide new insight into the mechanisms that underlie stem cell replacement and follicle formation during Drosophila oogenesis. ..
- Giesen K, Lammel U, Langehans D, Krukkert K, Bunse I, Klämbt C. Regulation of glial cell number and differentiation by ecdysone and Fos signaling. Mech Dev. 2003;120:401-13 pubmed..This work for the first time links ecydsone signaling to Fos function and shows that during embryonic and pupal stages similar developmental mechanisms control midline glia survival. ..
- Goode S, Melnick M, Chou T, Perrimon N. The neurogenic genes egghead and brainiac define a novel signaling pathway essential for epithelial morphogenesis during Drosophila oogenesis. Development. 1996;122:3863-79 pubmed
- Lopez Schier H, St Johnston D. Delta signaling from the germ line controls the proliferation and differentiation of the somatic follicle cells during Drosophila oogenesis. Genes Dev. 2001;15:1393-405 pubmed..The germ line therefore regulates the development of the follicle cells through two complementary signaling pathways: Gurken signals twice to control spatial patterning, whereas Delta signals twice to exert temporal control. ..
- Hayashi Y, Sexton T, Dejima K, Perry D, Takemura M, Kobayashi S, et al. Glypicans regulate JAK/STAT signaling and distribution of the Unpaired morphogen. Development. 2012;139:4162-71 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we establish the follicular epithelium as a new model for morphogen signaling in complex organ development. ..
- Georgias C, Wasser M, Hinz U. A basic-helix-loop-helix protein expressed in precursors of Drosophila longitudinal visceral muscles. Mech Dev. 1997;69:115-24 pubmed..Characterisation of this expression pattern demonstrates that precursors of the outer, longitudinal muscles of the midgut are distinct in origin and morphology from precursors of the inner, circular muscles. ..
- Tanentzapf G, Smith C, McGlade J, Tepass U. Apical, lateral, and basal polarization cues contribute to the development of the follicular epithelium during Drosophila oogenesis. J Cell Biol. 2000;151:891-904 pubmed..Together with previous data showing that Crb is required for the formation of a zonula adherens, these findings indicate a mutual dependency of apical and lateral polarization mechanisms. ..
- Deng W, Althauser C, Ruohola Baker H. Notch-Delta signaling induces a transition from mitotic cell cycle to endocycle in Drosophila follicle cells. Development. 2001;128:4737-46 pubmed
- Yogev S, Schejter E, Shilo B. Drosophila EGFR signalling is modulated by differential compartmentalization of Rhomboid intramembrane proteases. EMBO J. 2008;27:1219-30 pubmed publisher..These observations identify changes in intracellular compartment localization of Rho proteins as a basis for signal attenuation, in tissues where EGFR activation must be highly restricted in space and time. ..
- Leibfried A, Fricke R, Morgan M, Bogdan S, Bellaiche Y. Drosophila Cip4 and WASp define a branch of the Cdc42-Par6-aPKC pathway regulating E-cadherin endocytosis. Curr Biol. 2008;18:1639-48 pubmed publisher..Altogether our results show that Cdc42 functions with Par6 and aPKC to regulate E-Cad endocytosis and define Cip4 and WASp as regulators of the early E-Cad endocytic events in epithelial tissue. ..
- Lorén C, Englund C, Grabbe C, Hallberg B, Hunter T, Palmer R. A crucial role for the Anaplastic lymphoma kinase receptor tyrosine kinase in gut development in Drosophila melanogaster. EMBO Rep. 2003;4:781-6 pubmed..We propose that the main function of Drosophila Alk during early embryogenesis is in visceral mesoderm development. ..
- O Reilly A, Lee H, Simon M. Integrins control the positioning and proliferation of follicle stem cells in the Drosophila ovary. J Cell Biol. 2008;182:801-15 pubmed publisher..Importantly, LanA-integrin function is not required to maintain other ovarian stem cell populations, demonstrating that distinct pathways regulate niche-stem cell communication within the same organ. ..
- Meignin C, Alvarez Garcia I, Davis I, Palacios I. The salvador-warts-hippo pathway is required for epithelial proliferation and axis specification in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2007;17:1871-8 pubmed..This work highlights a novel connection between cell proliferation, cell growth, and axis specification in egg chambers. ..
- Gorfinkiel N, Arias A. Requirements for adherens junction components in the interaction between epithelial tissues during dorsal closure in Drosophila. J Cell Sci. 2007;120:3289-98 pubmed..Our results show that regulated cell adhesion is a crucial element of the interactions that shape epithelial sheets in morphogenetic processes. ..
- Lo P, Frasch M. bagpipe-Dependent expression of vimar, a novel Armadillo-repeats gene, in Drosophila visceral mesoderm. Mech Dev. 1998;72:65-75 pubmed..These results, together with the observed lethality of vimar mutations, indicate that vimar is one of the bagpipe target genes that are required for normal development and differentiation of the midgut visceral mesoderm. ..
- Jackson S, Blochlinger K. cut interacts with Notch and protein kinase A to regulate egg chamber formation and to maintain germline cyst integrity during Drosophila oogenesis. Development. 1997;124:3663-72 pubmed..cut encodes a nuclear protein containing DNA-binding motifs, and we suggest that it participates in intercellular communications by regulating the expression of molecules that directly participate in this process. ..
- Riechmann V, Irion U, Wilson R, Grosskortenhaus R, Leptin M. Control of cell fates and segmentation in the Drosophila mesoderm. Development. 1997;124:2915-22 pubmed..Both the domain of even-skipped function and the level of twist expression are regulated by sloppy-paired. sloppy-paired thus controls segmental allocation of mesodermal cells to different fates. ..
- Massarwa R, Schejter E, Shilo B. Apical secretion in epithelial tubes of the Drosophila embryo is directed by the Formin-family protein Diaphanous. Dev Cell. 2009;16:877-88 pubmed publisher..This mechanism allows efficient utilization of the entire apical membrane for secretion. ..
- Sokol N, Cooley L. Drosophila filamin is required for follicle cell motility during oogenesis. Dev Biol. 2003;260:260-72 pubmed..These data show that Filamin function in cell motility can be provided by a truncated Filamin protein that resembles Dictyostelium Actin Binding Protein-120. ..
- Lu H, Bilder D. Endocytic control of epithelial polarity and proliferation in Drosophila. Nat Cell Biol. 2005;7:1232-9 pubmed..Our findings reveal a critical and specific role for endocytic traffic in the control of both apico-basal polarity and cell proliferation. ..
- Lee J, Brandin E, Branton D, Goldstein L. alpha-Spectrin is required for ovarian follicle monolayer integrity in Drosophila melanogaster. Development. 1997;124:353-62 pubmed..These results suggest that the spectrin-based membrane skeleton is required in a developmental pathway that controls follicle cell monolayer integrity and proliferation. ..
- Lee H, Norris A, Weiss J, Frasch M. Jelly belly protein activates the receptor tyrosine kinase Alk to specify visceral muscle pioneers. Nature. 2003;425:507-12 pubmed..Jeb/Alk signalling induces the myoblast fusion gene dumbfounded (duf; also known as kirre) as well as org-1, a Drosophila homologue of mammalian TBX1, in these cells. ..
- Gupta T, Schupbach T. Cct1, a phosphatidylcholine biosynthesis enzyme, is required for Drosophila oogenesis and ovarian morphogenesis. Development. 2003;130:6075-87 pubmed..These data provide the first evidence for a specific role for CCT, and thus for phosphatidylcholine, in patterning during development. ..
- Besse F, Pret A. Apoptosis-mediated cell death within the ovarian polar cell lineage of Drosophila melanogaster. Development. 2003;130:1017-27 pubmed..In addition, selection of two polar cells from groups of pre-polar cells occurs via an apoptosis-dependent mechanism and is required for correct patterning of the anterior follicular epithelium of vitellogenic egg chambers. ..
- Duan H, Skeath J, Nguyen H. Drosophila Lame duck, a novel member of the Gli superfamily, acts as a key regulator of myogenesis by controlling fusion-competent myoblast development. Development. 2001;128:4489-500 pubmed..Results from an independent molecular screen for binding factors to a myoblast-specific Mef2 enhancer further demonstrate that Lmd is a direct transcriptional regulator of Mef2 in fusion-competent myoblasts. ..
- Prokop A, Uhler J, Roote J, Bate M. The kakapo mutation affects terminal arborization and central dendritic sprouting of Drosophila motorneurons. J Cell Biol. 1998;143:1283-94 pubmed..On the other, a specific type of sensory neuron (scolopidial neurons) shows defects in microtubule organization and detaches from its support cells. ..
- Manfruelli P, Arquier N, Hanratty W, S m riva M. The tumor suppressor gene, lethal(2)giant larvae (1(2)g1), is required for cell shape change of epithelial cells during Drosophila development. Development. 1996;122:2283-94 pubmed..These results together with the tumoral phenotype of epithelial imaginal disc cells strongly suggest that the l(2)gl product is required in vivo in different types of epithelial cells to control their shape during development...
- Tonning A, Helms S, Schwarz H, Uv A, Moussian B. Hormonal regulation of mummy is needed for apical extracellular matrix formation and epithelial morphogenesis in Drosophila. Development. 2006;133:331-41 pubmed
- Vachias C, Couderc J, Grammont M. A two-step Notch-dependant mechanism controls the selection of the polar cell pair in Drosophila oogenesis. Development. 2010;137:2703-11 pubmed publisher..Given its properties, this two-step Notch-dependent mechanism represents a novel aspect of Notch action. ..
- Whitlock K. Development of Drosophila wing sensory neurons in mutants with missing or modified cell surface molecules. Development. 1993;117:1251-60 pubmed..The animals used were mutant for the fasciclinI (fasI), fasciclinII (fasII), fasciclinIII (fasIII) and neurally altered carbohydrate (nac) genes...
- Zaffran S, Kuchler A, Lee H, Frasch M. biniou (FoxF), a central component in a regulatory network controlling visceral mesoderm development and midgut morphogenesis in Drosophila. Genes Dev. 2001;15:2900-15 pubmed
- Langevin J, Morgan M, Sibarita J, Aresta S, Murthy M, Schwarz T, et al. Drosophila exocyst components Sec5, Sec6, and Sec15 regulate DE-Cadherin trafficking from recycling endosomes to the plasma membrane. Dev Cell. 2005;9:365-76 pubmed..Our results support a model whereby the exocyst regulates DE-Cadherin trafficking, from recycling endosomes to sites on the epithelial cell membrane where Armadillo is located. ..
- Kaltschmidt J, Lawrence N, Morel V, Balayo T, Fernández B, Pelissier A, et al. Planar polarity and actin dynamics in the epidermis of Drosophila. Nat Cell Biol. 2002;4:937-44 pubmed..We show that Wingless (Wg) signalling and Jun amino-terminal kinase (JNK) signalling have overlapping but different roles in these events. ..
- Larkin M, Holder K, Yost C, Giniger E, Ruohola Baker H. Expression of constitutively active Notch arrests follicle cells at a precursor stage during Drosophila oogenesis and disrupts the anterior-posterior axis of the oocyte. Development. 1996;122:3639-50 pubmed..We also find that expression of constitutively active Notch in follicle cells at later stages leads to a defect in the anterior-posterior axis of the oocyte. ..
- Godt D, Tepass U. Drosophila oocyte localization is mediated by differential cadherin-based adhesion. Nature. 1998;395:387-91 pubmed..This is, to our knowledge, the first in vivo example of a cell-sorting process that depends on differential adhesion mediated by a cadherin. ..
- Caruana G. Genetic studies define MAGUK proteins as regulators of epithelial cell polarity. Int J Dev Biol. 2002;46:511-8 pubmed..In addition, our recent genetic analysis of mouse Dlg, in combination with genetic and biochemical studies of Lin-2/CASK by others suggests a model placing Dlg and Lin-2/CASK within the same developmental pathway. ..
- Speicher S, Garcia Alonso L, Carmena A, Martin Bermudo M, De La Escalera S, Jimenez F. Neurotactin functions in concert with other identified CAMs in growth cone guidance in Drosophila. Neuron. 1998;20:221-33 pubmed..This result provides evidence for functional cooperativity in vivo between the adhesion and signaling pathways controlled by neurotactin and the other three genes. ..