Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Fas2
Description: Fasciclin 2
Alias: 1D4, Ab 1D4, CG3665, CT12301, Dmel\CG3665, EG:EG0007.3, FAS 11, FAS II, FAS2, FASII, Fas, Fas 2, Fas II, Fas-II, FasII, FascII, Fasii, MAB1D4, anon-EST:Liang-1.60, clone 1.60, fas II, fas-II, fas2, fasII, fasciclin II, l(1)G0032, l(1)G0048, l(1)G0081, l(1)G0293, l(1)G0336, mAB1D4, mAb 1D4, mAb1D4, fasciclin 2, CG3665-PA, CG3665-PB, CG3665-PC, CG3665-PD, CG3665-PF, CG3665-PG, CG3665-PH, FASCICLIN II, Fas, Fas2-PA, Fas2-PB, Fas2-PC, Fas2-PD, Fas2-PF, Fas2-PG, Fas2-PH, FasciclinII, fasII, fascicilin II, fasciclin, fasciclin-2, fasciclin-II, fasciclin2, fasciculin II, fascilin II, fasiclin II
Species: fruit fly
Publications103 found, 100 shown here
- Zlatic M, Li F, Strigini M, Grueber W, Bate M. Positional cues in the Drosophila nerve cord: semaphorins pattern the dorso-ventral axis. PLoS Biol. 2009;7:e1000135 pubmed publisher..Together our findings support the idea that axons are delivered to particular regions of the neuropile by their responses to systems of positional cues in each dimension. ..
- Broihier H, Skeath J. Drosophila homeodomain protein dHb9 directs neuronal fate via crossrepressive and cell-nonautonomous mechanisms. Neuron. 2002;35:39-50 pubmed..This mutually antagonistic relationship bears similarity to the crossrepressive relationships between pairs of HD proteins that pattern the vertebrate neural tube. ..
- Gates J, Mahaffey J, Rogers S, Emerson M, Rogers E, Sottile S, et al. Enabled plays key roles in embryonic epithelial morphogenesis in Drosophila. Development. 2007;134:2027-39 pubmed..We also explored filopodial regulation in cultured Drosophila cells and embryos. These data provide new insights into developmental and mechanistic roles of this important actin regulator. ..
- Sprecher S, Pichaud F, Desplan C. Adult and larval photoreceptors use different mechanisms to specify the same Rhodopsin fates. Genes Dev. 2007;21:2182-95 pubmed..Therefore, even though the larval PRs and adult R8 PRs express the same rhodopsins (rh5 and rh6), they use very distinct mechanisms for their specification. ..
- Yan Y, Denef N, Schupbach T. The vacuolar proton pump, V-ATPase, is required for notch signaling and endosomal trafficking in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2009;17:387-402 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that Rbcn-3 affects Notch signaling and trafficking through regulating V-ATPase function, which implies that the acidification of an intracellular compartment in the receiving cells is crucial for signaling. ..
- Waddell S, Quinn W. What can we teach Drosophila? What can they teach us?. Trends Genet. 2001;17:719-26 pubmed
- Marques G, Bao H, Haerry T, Shimell M, Duchek P, Zhang B, et al. The Drosophila BMP type II receptor Wishful Thinking regulates neuromuscular synapse morphology and function. Neuron. 2002;33:529-43 pubmed..These results reveal a novel role for BMP signaling in regulating Drosophila neuromuscular junction synapse assembly and activity and may indicate that similar pathways could govern vertebrate synapse development. ..
- Schenck A, Qurashi A, Carrera P, Bardoni B, Diebold C, Schejter E, et al. WAVE/SCAR, a multifunctional complex coordinating different aspects of neuronal connectivity. Dev Biol. 2004;274:260-70 pubmed..Thus, our results identify the Drosophila WAVE/SCAR complex as a multifunctional unit orchestrating different pathways and aspects of neuronal connectivity. ..
- Godenschwege T, Kristiansen L, Uthaman S, Hortsch M, Murphey R. A conserved role for Drosophila Neuroglian and human L1-CAM in central-synapse formation. Curr Biol. 2006;16:12-23 pubmed..Finally, our findings suggest that some aspects of L1-CAM-related neurological disorders in humans may result from a disruption in synapse formation rather than in axon pathfinding. ..
- Wang J, Zugates C, Liang I, Lee C, Lee T. Drosophila Dscam is required for divergent segregation of sister branches and suppresses ectopic bifurcation of axons. Neuron. 2002;33:559-71 pubmed..Taken together, we conclude that Dscam controls axon branching and guidance such that a neuron can innervate multiple targets with minimal branching. ..
- Stewart B, McLean J. Population density regulates Drosophila synaptic morphology in a Fasciclin-II-dependent manner. J Neurobiol. 2004;61:392-9 pubmed..Among these molecules, the expression level of Fasciclin II (FasII), a homophilic cell adhesion molecule, is critically important for determining the final form of the ..
- Sanchez Soriano N, Bottenberg W, Fiala A, Haessler U, Kerassoviti A, Knust E, et al. Are dendrites in Drosophila homologous to vertebrate dendrites?. Dev Biol. 2005;288:126-38 pubmed..Implications of these findings for studies of dendrite development, neuronal polarity, transport and evolution are discussed. ..
- Whited J, Robichaux M, Yang J, Garrity P. Ptpmeg is required for the proper establishment and maintenance of axon projections in the central brain of Drosophila. Development. 2007;134:43-53 pubmed..However, ptpmeg does not act in either MB or EB neurons, implicating ptpmeg in the regulation of cell-cell signaling events that control the behavior of these axons. ..
- Zhu B, Pennack J, McQuilton P, Forero M, Mizuguchi K, Sutcliffe B, et al. Drosophila neurotrophins reveal a common mechanism for nervous system formation. PLoS Biol. 2008;6:e284 pubmed publisher..This work provides a missing link between aspects of neuronal function in flies and vertebrates, and it opens the opportunity to use Drosophila to investigate further aspects of neurotrophin function and to model related diseases...
- Gilestro G. Redundant mechanisms for regulation of midline crossing in Drosophila. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e3798 pubmed publisher..Surprisingly, expression of these modified proteins results in phenotypically normal flies, unveiling a sorting independent mechanism of regulation. ..
- Forsthoefel D, Liebl E, Kolodziej P, Seeger M. The Abelson tyrosine kinase, the Trio GEF and Enabled interact with the Netrin receptor Frazzled in Drosophila. Development. 2005;132:1983-94 pubmed..Together, these data suggest that Abl, Trio, Ena and Fra are integrated into a complex signaling network that regulates axon guidance at the CNS midline. ..
- Pereanu W, Shy D, Hartenstein V. Morphogenesis and proliferation of the larval brain glia in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2005;283:191-203 pubmed..This increase results from mitosis of differentiated glia, but, more significantly, from the proliferation of neuroblasts. ..
- Layden M, Odden J, Schmid A, Garces A, Thor S, Doe C. Zfh1, a somatic motor neuron transcription factor, regulates axon exit from the CNS. Dev Biol. 2006;291:253-63 pubmed..g. Islet, Hb9, Nkx6, Lim3)--to project laterally and exit the CNS. We conclude that Zfh1 is required for ventral motor axon exit from the CNS. ..
- Didelot G, Molinari F, Tchénio P, Comas D, Milhiet E, Munnich A, et al. Tequila, a neurotrypsin ortholog, regulates long-term memory formation in Drosophila. Science. 2006;313:851-3 pubmed..Moreover, specific inhibition of teq expression in adult mushroom bodies resulted in a reversible LTM defect. Hence, the Teq pathway is essential for information processing in Drosophila...
- Dorsten J, VanBerkum M. Frazzled cytoplasmic P-motifs are differentially required for axon pathway formation in the Drosophila embryonic CNS. Int J Dev Neurosci. 2008;26:753-61 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data demonstrate the critical nature of both the P1 and the P3-motifs to Frazzled function in vivo during axon pathway formation. ..
- Steigemann P, Molitor A, Fellert S, Jackle H, Vorbrüggen G. Heparan sulfate proteoglycan syndecan promotes axonal and myotube guidance by slit/robo signaling. Curr Biol. 2004;14:225-30 pubmed..The results suggest that Syndecan is a necessary component of Slit/Robo signaling and is required in the Slit target cells. ..
- Awasaki T, Ito K. Engulfing action of glial cells is required for programmed axon pruning during Drosophila metamorphosis. Curr Biol. 2004;14:668-77 pubmed..We therefore propose that neuron-glia interaction is essential for the precisely coordinated axon-pruning process during Drosophila metamorphosis. ..
- Fradkin L, van Schie M, Wouda R, de Jong A, Kamphorst J, Radjkoemar Bansraj M, et al. The Drosophila Wnt5 protein mediates selective axon fasciculation in the embryonic central nervous system. Dev Biol. 2004;272:362-75 pubmed..Finally, we demonstrate that transcriptional repression of wnt5 in AC neurons by the recently described Wnt5 receptor, Derailed, contributes to this largely posterior commissural localization of Wnt5 protein...
- Lundström A, Gallio M, Englund C, Steneberg P, Hemphälä J, Aspenstrom P, et al. Vilse, a conserved Rac/Cdc42 GAP mediating Robo repulsion in tracheal cells and axons. Genes Dev. 2004;18:2161-71 pubmed..These results together with genetic interaction experiments with robo, vilse, and rac mutants suggest a mechanism whereby Robo repulsion is mediated by the localized inactivation of Rac through Vilse. ..
- Kohsaka H, Takasu E, Nose A. In vivo induction of postsynaptic molecular assembly by the cell adhesion molecule Fasciclin2. J Cell Biol. 2007;179:1289-300 pubmed..In this paper, we study the function and dynamics of Fasciclin2 (Fas2), a homophilic CAM expressed both pre- and postsynaptically during neuromuscular synapse formation in ..
- Jenkins S, Kizhatil K, Kramarcy N, Sen A, Sealock R, Bennett V. FIGQY phosphorylation defines discrete populations of L1 cell adhesion molecules at sites of cell-cell contact and in migrating neurons. J Cell Sci. 2001;114:3823-35 pubmed
- Baines R, Seugnet L, Thompson A, Salvaterra P, Bate M. Regulation of synaptic connectivity: levels of Fasciclin II influence synaptic growth in the Drosophila CNS. J Neurosci. 2002;22:6587-95 pubmed..Here we investigate the role of Fasciclin II (Fas II) in the development of synapses between identified motor neurons and cholinergic interneurons in the ..
- Santos J, Pollak E, Rexer K, Molnar L, Wegener C. Morphology and metamorphosis of the peptidergic Va neurons and the median nerve system of the fruit fly, Drosophila melanogaster. Cell Tissue Res. 2006;326:187-99 pubmed..Hence, the transverse nerves may serve a neurohaemal function in D. melanogaster. ..
- Goossens T, Kang Y, Wuytens G, Zimmermann P, Callaerts Vegh Z, Pollarolo G, et al. The Drosophila L1CAM homolog Neuroglian signals through distinct pathways to control different aspects of mushroom body axon development. Development. 2011;138:1595-605 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, genetic analyses show that the role of NRG in different aspects of MB axonal development not only involves PYD, but also TRIO, SEMA-1A and RAC1. ..
- Keene A, Mazzoni E, Zhen J, Younger M, Yamaguchi S, Blau J, et al. Distinct visual pathways mediate Drosophila larval light avoidance and circadian clock entrainment. J Neurosci. 2011;31:6527-34 pubmed publisher..Our findings provide insights into the coding of sensory information for distinct behavioral functions and the underlying molecular and neuronal circuitry. ..
- Fritz J, VanBerkum M. Regulation of rho family GTPases is required to prevent axons from crossing the midline. Dev Biol. 2002;252:46-58 pubmed..Midline repulsion appears to require down-regulation of Drac1 and Dcdc42 and activation of Rho. ..
- Yang J, Bai J, Lee T. Dynein-dynactin complex is essential for dendritic restriction of TM1-containing Drosophila Dscam. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e3504 pubmed publisher..The results of this study suggest multiple mechanisms of dendritic protein targeting. Notably, dynein-dynactin plays a role in excluding dendritic Dscam, but not Rdl, from axons by retrograde transport. ..
- Tonning A, Hemphälä J, Tång E, Nannmark U, Samakovlis C, Uv A. A transient luminal chitinous matrix is required to model epithelial tube diameter in the Drosophila trachea. Dev Cell. 2005;9:423-30 pubmed..We propose that the transient luminal protein/polysaccharide matrix is sensed by the epithelial cells and coordinates cytoskeletal organization to ensure uniform lumen diameter. ..
- Schmid A, Qin G, Wichmann C, Kittel R, Mertel S, Fouquet W, et al. Non-NMDA-type glutamate receptors are essential for maturation but not for initial assembly of synapses at Drosophila neuromuscular junctions. J Neurosci. 2006;26:11267-77 pubmed..Thus, our data suggest that incorporation of non-NMDA-type glutamate receptors and likely their protein-protein interactions with additional PSD components triggers a conversion from an initial to a mature stage of PSD assembly. ..
- Miller C, Page McCaw A, Broihier H. Matrix metalloproteinases promote motor axon fasciculation in the Drosophila embryo. Development. 2008;135:95-109 pubmed..MMP activity is compromised is suppressed by otherwise elevating interaxonal adhesion -- either by overexpressing Fas2 or by reducing Sema-1a dosage...
- Osterloh J, Yang J, Rooney T, Fox A, Adalbert R, Powell E, et al. dSarm/Sarm1 is required for activation of an injury-induced axon death pathway. Science. 2012;337:481-4 pubmed publisher..Our results provide direct evidence that axons actively promote their own destruction after injury and identify dSarm/Sarm1 as a member of an ancient axon death signaling pathway. ..
- Mendoza C, Olguin P, Lafferte G, Thomas U, Ebitsch S, Gundelfinger E, et al. Novel isoforms of Dlg are fundamental for neuronal development in Drosophila. J Neurosci. 2003;23:2093-101 pubmed..During embryonic development, proteins that include the S97N domain are essential for proper neuronal differentiation and organization, acting through mechanisms that may include the adequate localization of cell fate determinants. ..
- Labrador J, O keefe D, Yoshikawa S, McKinnon R, Thomas J, Bashaw G. The homeobox transcription factor even-skipped regulates netrin-receptor expression to control dorsal motor-axon projections in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2005;15:1413-9 pubmed..Our results support a functional link between the expression of distinct Netrin receptor combinations and the transcriptional control of dorsal motor-axon guidance. ..
- Banerjee S, Pillai A, Paik R, Li J, Bhat M. Axonal ensheathment and septate junction formation in the peripheral nervous system of Drosophila. J Neurosci. 2006;26:3319-29 pubmed..Together, our data suggest that the molecular machinery underlying axonal insulation and axon-glial interactions may be conserved across species. ..
- Dorsten J, Kolodziej P, VanBerkum M. Frazzled regulation of myosin II activity in the Drosophila embryonic CNS. Dev Biol. 2007;308:120-32 pubmed..Therefore, the P3 motif of Frazzled appears to initiate Rho and Abl dependent signals to directly or indirectly regulate myosin II activity in growth cones. ..
- Keshishian H. Is synaptic homeostasis just wishful thinking?. Neuron. 2002;33:491-2 pubmed..2002) and Marqués et al. present evidence that BMP receptors may also influence the development of synapses. The results suggest a novel mechanism for regulating neuronal growth and synaptic homeostasis during development. ..
- Hakeda Suzuki S, Ng J, Tzu J, Dietzl G, Sun Y, Harms M, et al. Rac function and regulation during Drosophila development. Nature. 2002;416:438-42 pubmed..Different Rac activators thus act in different developmental processes. The specific cellular response to Rac activation may be determined more by the upstream activator than the specific Rac protein involved. ..
- Giesen K, Lammel U, Langehans D, Krukkert K, Bunse I, Klämbt C. Regulation of glial cell number and differentiation by ecdysone and Fos signaling. Mech Dev. 2003;120:401-13 pubmed..This work for the first time links ecydsone signaling to Fos function and shows that during embryonic and pupal stages similar developmental mechanisms control midline glia survival. ..
- Ashley J, Packard M, Ataman B, Budnik V. Fasciclin II signals new synapse formation through amyloid precursor protein and the scaffolding protein dX11/Mint. J Neurosci. 2005;25:5943-55 pubmed..Here, we used the Drosophila larval neuromuscular junction to investigate the pathways activated by Fasciclin II (FasII), a transmembrane CAM of the Ig superfamily, during synapse remodeling...
- Chang H, Grygoruk A, Brooks E, Ackerson L, Maidment N, Bainton R, et al. Overexpression of the Drosophila vesicular monoamine transporter increases motor activity and courtship but decreases the behavioral response to cocaine. Mol Psychiatry. 2006;11:99-113 pubmed
- Krashes M, Keene A, Leung B, Armstrong J, Waddell S. Sequential use of mushroom body neuron subsets during drosophila odor memory processing. Neuron. 2007;53:103-15 pubmed
- Banovic D, Khorramshahi O, Owald D, Wichmann C, Riedt T, Fouquet W, et al. Drosophila neuroligin 1 promotes growth and postsynaptic differentiation at glutamatergic neuromuscular junctions. Neuron. 2010;66:724-38 pubmed publisher..Instead, other signaling components are likely involved in DNlg1 transsynaptic functions, with essential interactions organized by the DNlg1 extracellular domain but also by the cytoplasmic domain. ..
- Odden J, Holbrook S, Doe C. Drosophila HB9 is expressed in a subset of motoneurons and interneurons, where it regulates gene expression and axon pathfinding. J Neurosci. 2002;22:9143-9 pubmed..Thus, Drosophila HB9 is required in a subset of motoneurons and interneurons for establishing proper axon projections but does not have a general role in distinguishing motoneuron and interneuron cell types. ..
- Takahashi M, Takahashi F, Ui Tei K, Kojima T, Saigo K. Requirements of genetic interactions between Src42A, armadillo and shotgun, a gene encoding E-cadherin, for normal development in Drosophila. Development. 2005;132:2547-59 pubmed..Src42A and Src64 were required for Armadillo tyrosine residue phosphorylation but Src activity may not be directly involved in Armadillo tyrosine residue phosphorylation at the adherens junction. ..
- Wills Z, Emerson M, Rusch J, Bikoff J, Baum B, Perrimon N, et al. A Drosophila homolog of cyclase-associated proteins collaborates with the Abl tyrosine kinase to control midline axon pathfinding. Neuron. 2002;36:611-22 pubmed..These studies identify Capulet as part of an emerging pathway linking guidance signals to regulation of cytoskeletal dynamics and suggest that the Abl pathway mediates signals downstream of multiple Roundabout receptors. ..
- Kittel R, Wichmann C, Rasse T, Fouquet W, Schmidt M, Schmid A, et al. Bruchpilot promotes active zone assembly, Ca2+ channel clustering, and vesicle release. Science. 2006;312:1051-4 pubmed..BRP-like proteins seem to establish proximity between Ca2+ channels and vesicles to allow efficient transmitter release and patterned synaptic plasticity. ..
- Vömel M, Wegener C. Neurotransmitter-induced changes in the intracellular calcium concentration suggest a differential central modulation of CCAP neuron subsets in Drosophila. Dev Neurobiol. 2007;67:792-808 pubmed..Our results suggest that N(CCAP) express functional receptors for ACh, glutamate, and GABA, and indicate that these transmitters are involved in a context-dependent regulation of functionally distinct N(CCAP) subsets. ..
- Nassif C, Noveen A, Hartenstein V. Early development of the Drosophila brain: III. The pattern of neuropile founder tracts during the larval period. J Comp Neurol. 2003;455:417-34 pubmedThe Drosophila N-CAM homolog Fasciclin II (FasII) is expressed during the embryonic period in a subset of central neurons that pioneer the neuropile of the larval brain...
- Fan X, Labrador J, Hing H, Bashaw G. Slit stimulation recruits Dock and Pak to the roundabout receptor and increases Rac activity to regulate axon repulsion at the CNS midline. Neuron. 2003;40:113-27 pubmed..These results provide a direct physical link between the Robo receptor and an important cytoskeletal regulatory protein complex and suggest that Rac can function in both attractive and repulsive axon guidance. ..
- Marie B, Sweeney S, Poskanzer K, Roos J, Kelly R, Davis G. Dap160/intersectin scaffolds the periactive zone to achieve high-fidelity endocytosis and normal synaptic growth. Neuron. 2004;43:207-19 pubmed..We present a model in which Dap160 scaffolds both endocytic machinery and essential synaptic signaling systems to the periactive zone to coordinately control structural and functional synapse development. ..
- Ayoob J, Terman J, Kolodkin A. Drosophila Plexin B is a Sema-2a receptor required for axon guidance. Development. 2006;133:2125-35 pubmed..These results establish roles for PlexB in central and peripheral axon pathfinding, define a functional ligand for PlexB, and implicate common signaling events in plexin-mediated axonal guidance. ..
- Parker L, Ellis J, Nguyen M, Arora K. The divergent TGF-beta ligand Dawdle utilizes an activin pathway to influence axon guidance in Drosophila. Development. 2006;133:4981-91 pubmed..Our results indicate that Daw functions in a permissive manner to modulate or enable the growth cone response to other restricted guidance cues, and support a novel role for activin signaling in axon guidance. ..
- Bottenberg W, Sanchez Soriano N, Alves Silva J, Hahn I, Mende M, Prokop A. Context-specific requirements of functional domains of the Spectraplakin Short stop in vivo. Mech Dev. 2009;126:489-502 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data clearly support the view that Spectraplakins function in tissue-specific modes in vivo, and even domains believed to be crucial for Spectraplakin function can be dispensable in specific contexts. ..
- Raabe T, Clemens Richter S, Twardzik T, Ebert A, Gramlich G, Heisenberg M. Identification of mushroom body miniature, a zinc-finger protein implicated in brain development of Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:14276-81 pubmed..Immunohistochemical analysis shows that expression of the Mbm protein is not restricted to the mushroom bodies. BrdUrd labeling experiments indicate a function of Mbm in neuronal precursor cell proliferation. ..
- Brankatschk M, Dickson B. Netrins guide Drosophila commissural axons at short range. Nat Neurosci. 2006;9:188-94 pubmed..We therefore propose that netrins act in commissural axon guidance as short-range cues that promote midline crossing, not as long-range chemoattractants. ..
- Zhang K, Guo J, Peng Y, Xi W, Guo A. Dopamine-mushroom body circuit regulates saliency-based decision-making in Drosophila. Science. 2007;316:1901-4 pubmed..Immunohistological analysis showed that mushroom bodies are densely innervated by dopaminergic axons. Thus, the circuit from the dopamine system to mushroom bodies is crucial for choice behavior in Drosophila. ..
- Hebbar S, Fernandes J. Glial remodeling during metamorphosis influences the stabilization of motor neuron branches in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2010;340:344-54 pubmed publisher..Our studies also suggest that FasII plays a role in mediating this communication...
- Higashi Kovtun M, Mosca T, Dickman D, Meinertzhagen I, Schwarz T. Importin-beta11 regulates synaptic phosphorylated mothers against decapentaplegic, and thereby influences synaptic development and function at the Drosophila neuromuscular junction. J Neurosci. 2010;30:5253-68 pubmed publisher..Thus, importin-beta11 function interacts with the BMP pathway to regulate a pool of pMAD that must be present at the presynapse for its proper development and function. ..
- Kurusu M, Awasaki T, Masuda Nakagawa L, Kawauchi H, Ito K, Furukubo Tokunaga K. Embryonic and larval development of the Drosophila mushroom bodies: concentric layer subdivisions and the role of fasciclin II. Development. 2002;129:409-19 pubmed..In the mid to late embryonic stages, the pioneer MB tracts extend along Fasciclin II (FAS II)-expressing cells to form the primordia for the peduncle and the medial lobe...
- Mathew D, Gramates L, Packard M, Thomas U, Bilder D, Perrimon N, et al. Recruitment of scribble to the synaptic scaffolding complex requires GUK-holder, a novel DLG binding protein. Curr Biol. 2002;12:531-9 pubmed..Our results provide a mechanism by which developmentally important PDZ-mediated complexes are associated at the synapse. ..
- Rawson J, Lee M, Kennedy E, Selleck S. Drosophila neuromuscular synapse assembly and function require the TGF-beta type I receptor saxophone and the transcription factor Mad. J Neurobiol. 2003;55:134-50 pubmed
- Hiramoto M, Hiromi Y. ROBO directs axon crossing of segmental boundaries by suppressing responsiveness to relocalized Netrin. Nat Neurosci. 2006;9:58-66 pubmed..The absence of suppression causes the robo phenotype: longitudinal axons project toward the midline, as if running around a roundabout (rotary). ..
- McCabe B, Marques G, Haghighi A, Fetter R, Crotty M, Haerry T, et al. The BMP homolog Gbb provides a retrograde signal that regulates synaptic growth at the Drosophila neuromuscular junction. Neuron. 2003;39:241-54 pubmed..These experiments reveal that a muscle-derived BMP retrograde signal participates in coordinating neuromuscular synapse development and growth. ..
- Jefferis G, Vyas R, Berdnik D, Ramaekers A, Stocker R, Tanaka N, et al. Developmental origin of wiring specificity in the olfactory system of Drosophila. Development. 2004;131:117-30 pubmed..We propose instead that this prototypic map might originate from both patterning information external to the developing antennal lobe and interactions among PN dendrites. ..
- Broihier H, Kuzin A, Zhu Y, Odenwald W, Skeath J. Drosophila homeodomain protein Nkx6 coordinates motoneuron subtype identity and axonogenesis. Development. 2004;131:5233-42 pubmed..Furthermore, Nkx6 is necessary for the expression of the neural adhesion molecule Fasciclin III in Nkx6-positive motoneurons...
- Hoehne M, de Couet H, Stuermer C, Fischbach K. Loss- and gain-of-function analysis of the lipid raft proteins Reggie/Flotillin in Drosophila: they are posttranslationally regulated, and misexpression interferes with wing and eye development. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2005;30:326-38 pubmed..Our data support the notion that Reggie/Flotillin proteins are implicated in signaling processes at cellular contact sites. ..
- Palgi M, Lindström R, Peranen J, Piepponen T, Saarma M, Heino T. Evidence that DmMANF is an invertebrate neurotrophic factor supporting dopaminergic neurons. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:2429-34 pubmed publisher..The rescue experiments confirm DmMANF as a functional ortholog of the human MANF gene thus opening the window for comparative studies of this protein family with potential for the treatment of Parkinson's disease. ..
- Williamson W, Yang T, Terman J, Hiesinger P. Guidance receptor degradation is required for neuronal connectivity in the Drosophila nervous system. PLoS Biol. 2010;8:e1000553 pubmed publisher..Our findings indicate that a neuron-specific endolysosomal degradation mechanism is part of the cell biological machinery that regulates guidance receptor turnover and signaling. ..
- Pielage J, Cheng L, Fetter R, Carlton P, Sedat J, Davis G. A presynaptic giant ankyrin stabilizes the NMJ through regulation of presynaptic microtubules and transsynaptic cell adhesion. Neuron. 2008;58:195-209 pubmed publisher..We propose that a presynaptic Ank2-L lattice links synaptic membrane proteins and spectrin to the underlying microtubule cytoskeleton to organize and stabilize the presynaptic terminal. ..
- Sanchez Soriano N, Gonçalves Pimentel C, Beaven R, Haessler U, Ofner Ziegenfuss L, Ballestrem C, et al. Drosophila growth cones: a genetically tractable platform for the analysis of axonal growth dynamics. Dev Neurobiol. 2010;70:58-71 pubmed publisher..We demonstrate these events to be mediated by the actin-MT linking factor Short stop, thus identifying an essential molecular player in this context. ..
- Kim Y, Fritz J, Seneviratne A, VanBerkum M. Constitutively active myosin light chain kinase alters axon guidance decisions in Drosophila embryos. Dev Biol. 2002;249:367-81 pubmed..These results confirm that proper pathway formation requires careful regulation of MLCK and/or myosin II activity and suggest that regulation occurs in direct response to attractive and repulsive cues. ..
- Olofsson B, Page D. Condensation of the central nervous system in embryonic Drosophila is inhibited by blocking hemocyte migration or neural activity. Dev Biol. 2005;279:233-43 pubmed
- Johnson K, Tenney A, Ghose A, Duckworth A, Higashi M, Parfitt K, et al. The HSPGs Syndecan and Dallylike bind the receptor phosphatase LAR and exert distinct effects on synaptic development. Neuron. 2006;49:517-31 pubmed
- Boyle M, Nighorn A, Thomas J. Drosophila Eph receptor guides specific axon branches of mushroom body neurons. Development. 2006;133:1845-54 pubmed..Thus, Eph/Ephrin signaling acts to guide a subset of mushroom body branches to their correct synaptic targets. ..
- Grueber W, Ye B, Yang C, Younger S, Borden K, Jan L, et al. Projections of Drosophila multidendritic neurons in the central nervous system: links with peripheral dendrite morphology. Development. 2007;134:55-64 pubmed
- Wang S, Tulina N, Carlin D, Rulifson E. The origin of islet-like cells in Drosophila identifies parallels to the vertebrate endocrine axis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:19873-8 pubmed..This ontogenic-molecular concordance suggests that a rudimentary brain endocrine axis was present in the common ancestor of humans and flies, where it orchestrated the islet-like endocrine functions of insulin and glucagon biology. ..
- Boone J, Doe C. Identification of Drosophila type II neuroblast lineages containing transit amplifying ganglion mother cells. Dev Neurobiol. 2008;68:1185-95 pubmed publisher..Type II lineages allow more neurons to be produced faster than Type I lineages, which may be advantageous in a rapidly developing organism like Drosophila. ..
- Lee H, Jan L, Jan Y. Drosophila IKK-related kinase Ik2 and Katanin p60-like 1 regulate dendrite pruning of sensory neuron during metamorphosis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:6363-8 pubmed publisher..Our study thus implicates Ik2 and Kat-60L1 in dendrite severing that involves local microtubule disassembly. ..
- Lee D, Seo J, Ganetzky B, Koh Y. DeltaFY mutation in human torsin A [corrected] induces locomotor disability and abberant synaptic structures in Drosophila. Mol Cells. 2009;27:89-97 pubmed publisher..Taken together, the DeltaFY mutation in HtorA may be responsible for behavioral and anatomical aberrations in gDrosophila. ..
- Kaufmann N, DeProto J, Ranjan R, Wan H, Van Vactor D. Drosophila liprin-alpha and the receptor phosphatase Dlar control synapse morphogenesis. Neuron. 2002;34:27-38 pubmed..These data suggest a model where Dliprin-alpha and Dlar cooperate to regulate the formation and/or maintenance of a network of presynaptic proteins. ..