Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Fadd
Description: Fas-associated death domain
Alias: BG4, BG4_DROME, CG12297, Dmel\CG12297, FADD, dFADD, dFadd, dfadd, fadd, Fas-associated death domain, BG4, CG12297-PA, Fadd-PA, Fas-associated death domain ortholog
Species: fruit fly
- Guntermann S, Fraser B, Hazes B, Foley E. Independent Proteolytic Activities Control the Stability and Size of Drosophila Inhibitor of Apoptosis 2 Protein. J Innate Immun. 2015;7:518-29 pubmed publisher..These studies add to our appreciation of the regulation of innate immunity and suggest potential links between apoptotic caspases and innate defenses. ..
- Leulier F, Ribeiro P, Palmer E, Tenev T, Takahashi K, Robertson D, et al. Systematic in vivo RNAi analysis of putative components of the Drosophila cell death machinery. Cell Death Differ. 2006;13:1663-74 pubmed..Consistently, we show that DIAP2 binds active drICE. Since DIAP2 associates with Hid, we propose a model whereby Hid co-ordinately targets both DIAP1 and DIAP2 to unleash drICE. ..
- Tang H, Kambris Z, Lemaitre B, Hashimoto C. Two proteases defining a melanization cascade in the immune system of Drosophila. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:28097-104 pubmed..We have also shown that the melanization reaction activated by MP1 and MP2 plays an important role in augmenting the effectiveness of other immune reactions, thereby promoting resistance of Drosophila to microbial infection. ..
- Nelson B, Freisinger T, Ishii K, Okado K, Shinzawa N, Fukumoto S, et al. Activation of Imd pathway in hemocyte confers infection resistance through humoral response in Drosophila. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2013;430:1120-5 pubmed publisher..aureus, counter to notions of traditional roles of the Imd pathway thought largely to responsible for resistance to Gram-negative bacteria. ..
- Meyer S, Amoyel M, BergantiÃ±os C, de la Cova C, Schertel C, Basler K, et al. An ancient defense system eliminates unfit cells from developing tissues during cell competition. Science. 2014;346:1258236 pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrate a functional repurposing of components of TRRs and NFÎºB signaling modules in the surveillance of cell fitness during development. ..
- Verma P, Tapadia M. Early gene Broad complex plays a key role in regulating the immune response triggered by ecdysone in the Malpighian tubules of Drosophila melanogaster. Mol Immunol. 2015;66:325-39 pubmed publisher..In the absence of ecdysone signaling the IMD pathway associated genes are down regulated and activation and translocation of transcription factor Relish is also affected. ..
- Paquette N, Broemer M, Aggarwal K, Chen L, Husson M, Erturk Hasdemir D, et al. Caspase-mediated cleavage, IAP binding, and ubiquitination: linking three mechanisms crucial for Drosophila NF-kappaB signaling. Mol Cell. 2010;37:172-82 pubmed publisher..Through its association with DIAP2, IMD is rapidly conjugated with K63-linked polyubiquitin chains. These results mechanistically connect caspase-mediated cleavage and K63 ubiquitination in immune-induced NF-kappaB signaling. ..
- Kambris Z, Brun S, Jang I, Nam H, Romeo Y, Takahashi K, et al. Drosophila immunity: a large-scale in vivo RNAi screen identifies five serine proteases required for Toll activation. Curr Biol. 2006;16:808-13 pubmed..These results demonstrate the existence of a common cascade of SPs upstream of Spz, integrating signals sent by various secreted recognition molecules via more specialized SPs. ..
- Lawen A. Apoptosis-an introduction. Bioessays. 2003;25:888-96 pubmed
- McGettigan J, McLennan R, Broderick K, Kean L, Allan A, Cabrero P, et al. Insect renal tubules constitute a cell-autonomous immune system that protects the organism against bacterial infection. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2005;35:741-54 pubmed..coli challenge. Thus, we describe a novel role of Malpighian tubules in immune sensing and insect survival. ..
- Govind S, Nehm R. Innate immunity in fruit flies: a textbook example of genomic recycling. PLoS Biol. 2004;2:E276 pubmed
- Avadhanula V, Weasner B, Hardy G, Kumar J, Hardy R. A novel system for the launch of alphavirus RNA synthesis reveals a role for the Imd pathway in arthropod antiviral response. PLoS Pathog. 2009;5:e1000582 pubmed publisher..These findings show that the Imd pathway mediates an antiviral response to Sindbis virus replication. To our knowledge, this is the first demonstration of an antiviral role for the Imd pathway in insects. ..
- González I, Busturia A. High levels of dRYBP induce apoptosis in Drosophila imaginal cells through the activation of reaper and the requirement of trithorax, dredd and dFADD. Cell Res. 2009;19:747-57 pubmed publisher..requires the function of the pro-apoptotic REAPER, HID and GRIM proteins, the apical caspase DREDD, the adaptor dFADD protein as well as TRITHORAX (TRX), an epigenetic transcriptional regulator...
- Meier P, Finch A, Evan G. Apoptosis in development. Nature. 2000;407:796-801 pubmed..Dysfunctions in the regulation or execution of cell suicide are implicated in a wide range of developmental abnormalities and diseases. ..
- Erturk Hasdemir D, Broemer M, Leulier F, Lane W, Paquette N, Hwang D, et al. Two roles for the Drosophila IKK complex in the activation of Relish and the induction of antimicrobial peptide genes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:9779-84 pubmed publisher..Instead they are critical for recruitment of RNA polymerase II and antimicrobial peptide gene induction, whereas IKK functions noncatalytically to support Dredd-mediated cleavage of Relish. ..
- Buchon N, Broderick N, Chakrabarti S, Lemaitre B. Invasive and indigenous microbiota impact intestinal stem cell activity through multiple pathways in Drosophila. Genes Dev. 2009;23:2333-44 pubmed publisher..Altogether, these results indicate that gut homeostasis is achieved by a complex interregulation of the immune response, gut microbiota, and stem cell activity...
- Zhou R, Silverman N, Hong M, Liao D, Chung Y, Chen Z, et al. The role of ubiquitination in Drosophila innate immunity. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:34048-55 pubmed..Surprisingly, we find that the Drosophila caspase DREDD and its partner dFADD are required for the activation of DmIKK and JNK, in addition to their role in Relish cleavage...
- Goto A, Matsushita K, Gesellchen V, El Chamy L, Kuttenkeuler D, Takeuchi O, et al. Akirins are highly conserved nuclear proteins required for NF-kappaB-dependent gene expression in drosophila and mice. Nat Immunol. 2008;9:97-104 pubmed..Thus, Akirin is a conserved nuclear factor required for innate immune responses. ..
- Lhocine N, Ribeiro P, Buchon N, Wepf A, Wilson R, Tenev T, et al. PIMS modulates immune tolerance by negatively regulating Drosophila innate immune signaling. Cell Host Microbe. 2008;4:147-58 pubmed publisher..Therefore, PIMS is required to establish immune tolerance to commensal bacteria and to maintain a balanced Imd response following exposure to bacterial infections. ..
- Huh J, Vernooy S, Yu H, Yan N, Shi Y, Guo M, et al. Multiple apoptotic caspase cascades are required in nonapoptotic roles for Drosophila spermatid individualization. PLoS Biol. 2004;2:E15 pubmed..b>dFADD, the Drosophila homolog of mammalian FADD, an adaptor that mediates recruitment of apical caspases to ligand-bound ..
- Tsichritzis T, Gaentzsch P, Kosmidis S, Brown A, SKOULAKIS E, Ligoxygakis P, et al. A Drosophila ortholog of the human cylindromatosis tumor suppressor gene regulates triglyceride content and antibacterial defense. Development. 2007;134:2605-14 pubmed..All mutant phenotypes described were reversible upon conditional expression of CYLD transgenes. Our results implicate CYLD in a broad range of functions associated with fat homeostasis and host defence in Drosophila. ..
- Libert S, Chao Y, Chu X, Pletcher S. Trade-offs between longevity and pathogen resistance in Drosophila melanogaster are mediated by NFkappaB signaling. Aging Cell. 2006;5:533-43 pubmed..These phenotypes are dependent on the NFkappaB-related transcriptional factor, Relish, and they establish a mechanistic basis for a link between immunity, inflammation, and longevity. ..
- Vandenabeele P, Bertrand M. The role of the IAP E3 ubiquitin ligases in regulating pattern-recognition receptor signalling. Nat Rev Immunol. 2012;12:833-44 pubmed publisher..Understanding the role of IAPs in innate immunity may open new therapeutic perspectives for the treatment of PRR-dependent inflammatory diseases. ..
- Meinander A, Runchel C, Tenev T, Chen L, Kim C, Ribeiro P, et al. Ubiquitylation of the initiator caspase DREDD is required for innate immune signalling. EMBO J. 2012;31:2770-83 pubmed publisher..The direct involvement of ubiquitylation in caspase activation represents a novel mechanism for non-apoptotic caspase-mediated signalling. ..
- Orme M, Liccardi G, Moderau N, Feltham R, Wicky John S, Tenev T, et al. The unconventional myosin CRINKLED and its mammalian orthologue MYO7A regulate caspases in their signalling roles. Nat Commun. 2016;7:10972 pubmed publisher..Together, our results expose a conserved role for unconventional myosins in transducing caspase-dependent regulation of kinases, allowing them to take part in specific signalling events. ..