Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: esg
Alias: 4B7, BG:DS07851.7, CG3758, Dmel\CG3758, Esg, br43, dgl, flg, l(2)07082, l(2)35Ce, l(2)4B7, l(2)br43, l(2)esg, l35Ce, shof, wiz, escargot, CG3758-PA, D.m.Escargot, Fusion-1, double glazed, esg-PA, esgargot, fleabag, shut off, wizard
Species: fruit fly
- Jiang H, Patel P, Kohlmaier A, Grenley M, McEwen D, Edgar B. Cytokine/Jak/Stat signaling mediates regeneration and homeostasis in the Drosophila midgut. Cell. 2009;137:1343-55 pubmed publisher..Hence, cytokine-mediated feedback enables stem cells to replace spent progeny as they are lost, thereby establishing gut homeostasis. ..
- Zeng X, Chauhan C, Hou S. Characterization of midgut stem cell- and enteroblast-specific Gal4 lines in drosophila. Genesis. 2010;48:607-11 pubmed publisher..These two Gal4 lines will serve as invaluable tools for navigating ISC behaviors. ..
- Goulas S, Conder R, Knoblich J. The Par complex and integrins direct asymmetric cell division in adult intestinal stem cells. Cell Stem Cell. 2012;11:529-40 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate that mechanisms for intrinsically asymmetric cell division can be adapted to allow for the flexibility in lineage decisions that is required in adult stem cells. ..
- Caviglia S, Luschnig S. The ETS domain transcriptional repressor Anterior open inhibits MAP kinase and Wingless signaling to couple tracheal cell fate with branch identity. Development. 2013;140:1240-9 pubmed publisher..The switch from a branching towards an anastomosing tip cell type may have evolved with the acquisition of a main tube that connects separate tracheal primordia to generate a tubular network. ..
- Jiang L, Pearson J, Crews S. Diverse modes of Drosophila tracheal fusion cell transcriptional regulation. Mech Dev. 2010;127:265-80 pubmed publisher..These results begin to decode the regulatory circuitry that guides transcriptional activation of genes required for fusion cell morphogenesis. ..
- Choi N, Kim J, Yang D, Kim Y, Yoo M. Age-related changes in Drosophila midgut are associated with PVF2, a PDGF/VEGF-like growth factor. Aging Cell. 2008;7:318-34 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our findings suggest that PDGF/VEGF may play a central role in age-related changes in ISCs and progenitor cell populations, which may contribute to aging and the development of cancer stem cells. ..
- Nakajima Y, Kuranaga E, Sugimura K, Miyawaki A, Miura M. Nonautonomous apoptosis is triggered by local cell cycle progression during epithelial replacement in Drosophila. Mol Cell Biol. 2011;31:2499-512 pubmed publisher..The replacement boundary, formed as caspase activation is regulated locally by cell-cell communication, may drive the dynamic orchestration of cell replacement during tissue remodeling. ..
- Takashima S, Adams K, Ortiz P, Ying C, Moridzadeh R, Younossi Hartenstein A, et al. Development of the Drosophila entero-endocrine lineage and its specification by the Notch signaling pathway. Dev Biol. 2011;353:161-72 pubmed publisher..Activation of Notch in pISCs forces these cells into an enterocyte fate. Loss of Notch function causes an increase in the proliferatory activity of pISCs, as well as a higher ratio of Prospero-positive cells. ..
- Kubota K, Goto S, Eto K, Hayashi S. EGF receptor attenuates Dpp signaling and helps to distinguish the wing and leg cell fates in Drosophila. Development. 2000;127:3769-76 pubmed..Differential activation of the two signals and the cross talk between them critically affect this cell fate choice. ..
- Micchelli C, Sudmeier L, Perrimon N, Tang S, Beehler Evans R. Identification of adult midgut precursors in Drosophila. Gene Expr Patterns. 2011;11:12-21 pubmed publisher..Finally, a genetic screen has led to the identification of the Ecdysone receptor as a regulator of AMP expansion. ..
- Rørth P, Szabo K, Bailey A, Laverty T, Rehm J, Rubin G, et al. Systematic gain-of-function genetics in Drosophila. Development. 1998;125:1049-57 pubmed..These studies demonstrate the ability of the modular misexpression system to identify developmentally important genes and suggest that it will be generally useful for genetic interaction screens. ..
- Perdigoto C, Schweisguth F, Bardin A. Distinct levels of Notch activity for commitment and terminal differentiation of stem cells in the adult fly intestine. Development. 2011;138:4585-95 pubmed publisher..Our work suggests that a commitment requirement for high-level Notch activity safeguards the stem cells from loss through differentiation, revealing a novel role for the importance of Notch signaling levels in this system. ..
- Uemura T, Oda H, Kraut R, Hayashi S, Kotaoka Y, Takeichi M. Zygotic Drosophila E-cadherin expression is required for processes of dynamic epithelial cell rearrangement in the Drosophila embryo. Genes Dev. 1996;10:659-71 pubmed
- Jiang H, Edgar B. EGFR signaling regulates the proliferation of Drosophila adult midgut progenitors. Development. 2009;136:483-93 pubmed publisher..Two stronger EGFR ligands, Spitz and Keren, are expressed by the AMPs themselves and provide an additional, autocrine mitogenic stimulus to the AMPs during late larval stages. ..
- Singh S, Liu W, Hou S. The adult Drosophila malpighian tubules are maintained by multipotent stem cells. Cell Stem Cell. 2007;1:191-203 pubmed publisher..Identifying adult kidney stem cells in Drosophila may provide important clues for understanding mammalian kidney repair and regeneration during injury. ..
- Zeng X, Lin X, Hou S. The Osa-containing SWI/SNF chromatin-remodeling complex regulates stem cell commitment in the adult Drosophila intestine. Development. 2013;140:3532-40 pubmed publisher..Our data uncover a unique mechanism whereby the commitment of stem cells to discrete lineages is coordinately regulated by chromatin-remodeling factors. ..
- Apidianakis Y, Rahme L. Drosophila melanogaster as a model for human intestinal infection and pathology. Dis Model Mech. 2011;4:21-30 pubmed publisher..In this Perspective, we discuss recent advances in the study of Drosophila intestinal infection and pathology, and briefly review the parallels and differences between human and Drosophila intestinal regeneration and disease. ..
- Hochmuth C, Biteau B, Bohmann D, Jasper H. Redox regulation by Keap1 and Nrf2 controls intestinal stem cell proliferation in Drosophila. Cell Stem Cell. 2011;8:188-99 pubmed publisher..Our findings establish Keap1 and Nrf2 as a critical redox management system that regulates stem cell function in high-turnover tissues. ..
- Pearson J, WATSON J, Crews S. Drosophila melanogaster Zelda and Single-minded collaborate to regulate an evolutionarily dynamic CNS midline cell enhancer. Dev Biol. 2012;366:420-32 pubmed publisher..In summary, Zelda collaborates with bHLH-PAS proteins to directly regulate midline and tracheal expression of an evolutionary dynamic enhancer in the post-blastoderm embryo. ..
- Poernbacher I, Baumgartner R, Marada S, Edwards K, Stocker H. Drosophila Pez acts in Hippo signaling to restrict intestinal stem cell proliferation. Curr Biol. 2012;22:389-96 pubmed publisher..Thus, Pez displays a tissue-specific requirement and functions as a negative upstream regulator of Yki in the regulation of ISC proliferation. ..
- Buchon N, Broderick N, Kuraishi T, Lemaitre B. Drosophila EGFR pathway coordinates stem cell proliferation and gut remodeling following infection. BMC Biol. 2010;8:152 pubmed publisher..We show that one signaling pathway, the EGFR pathway, is central to all these stages, and its activation at multiple steps could synchronize the complex cellular events leading to gut repair and homeostasis. ..
- Biteau B, Hochmuth C, Jasper H. JNK activity in somatic stem cells causes loss of tissue homeostasis in the aging Drosophila gut. Cell Stem Cell. 2008;3:442-55 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that this balance is lost in old animals, increasing the potential for neoplastic transformation. ..
- Hayashi S, Ito K, Sado Y, Taniguchi M, Akimoto A, Takeuchi H, et al. GETDB, a database compiling expression patterns and molecular locations of a collection of Gal4 enhancer traps. Genesis. 2002;34:58-61 pubmed
- Panganiban G, Rubenstein J. Developmental functions of the Distal-less/Dlx homeobox genes. Development. 2002;129:4371-86 pubmed..We review what is known about the invertebrate and vertebrate Dll/Dlx genes and their varied roles during development. We propose revising the vertebrate nomenclature to reflect phylogenetic relationships among the Dlx genes. ..
- Goto S, Hayashi S. Specification of the embryonic limb primordium by graded activity of Decapentaplegic. Development. 1997;124:125-32 pubmed..We propose that Wingless and Decapentaplegic act sequentially to initiate the proximodistal axis. ..
- Buchon N, Broderick N, Chakrabarti S, Lemaitre B. Invasive and indigenous microbiota impact intestinal stem cell activity through multiple pathways in Drosophila. Genes Dev. 2009;23:2333-44 pubmed publisher..Altogether, these results indicate that gut homeostasis is achieved by a complex interregulation of the immune response, gut microbiota, and stem cell activity...
- Jiang L, Crews S. Dysfusion transcriptional control of Drosophila tracheal migration, adhesion, and fusion. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:6547-56 pubmed..These results indicate that fusion cells undergo dynamic changes in gene expression as they switch from migratory to fusion modes and that dysfusion regulates a discrete, but important, set of these genes. ..
- Mckay D, Estella C, Mann R. The origins of the Drosophila leg revealed by the cis-regulatory architecture of the Distalless gene. Development. 2009;136:61-71 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings provide a complete and high-resolution fate map of the Drosophila appendage primordia, linking the primary domains to specific cis-regulatory elements in Dll. ..
- Jiang L, Crews S. The Drosophila dysfusion basic helix-loop-helix (bHLH)-PAS gene controls tracheal fusion and levels of the trachealess bHLH-PAS protein. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:5625-37 pubmed..The escargot gene, which is also expressed in fusion cells and is required for tracheal fusion, precedes dysfusion expression...
- Apidianakis Y, Pitsouli C, Perrimon N, Rahme L. Synergy between bacterial infection and genetic predisposition in intestinal dysplasia. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:20883-8 pubmed publisher..Assessment of progenitor cell responses to pathogenic intestinal bacteria could provide a measure of predisposition for apoptotic enterocyte-assisted intestinal dysplasias in humans. ..
- Strand M, Micchelli C. Quiescent gastric stem cells maintain the adult Drosophila stomach. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:17696-701 pubmed publisher..Characterization of the GSSC lineage in Drosophila, with striking similarities to mammals, will advance the study of both homeostatic and pathogenic processes in the stomach. ..
- Aldaz S, Morata G, Azpiazu N. The Pax-homeobox gene eyegone is involved in the subdivision of the thorax of Drosophila. Development. 2003;130:4473-82 pubmed..The activity of eyg gives rise to a new notum subdivision that acts upon the pre-extant one generated by the Iro genes and pnr. As a result the notum becomes subdivided into four distinct genetic domains. ..
- Lee K, Kim S, Kim E, Ha E, You H, Kim B, et al. Bacterial-derived uracil as a modulator of mucosal immunity and gut-microbe homeostasis in Drosophila. Cell. 2013;153:797-811 pubmed publisher..These results reveal that bacteria with distinct abilities to activate uracil-induced gut inflammation, in terms of intensity and duration, act as critical factors that determine homeostasis or pathogenesis in gut-microbe interactions. ..
- Furukawa T, Maruyama S, Kawaichi M, Honjo T. The Drosophila homolog of the immunoglobulin recombination signal-binding protein regulates peripheral nervous system development. Cell. 1992;69:1191-7 pubmed..The results also imply that the immunoglobulin recombination signal sequence and the target sequence of the Drosophila J kappa RBP protein might have a common evolutionary origin. ..
- Kitadate Y, Shigenobu S, Arita K, Kobayashi S. Boss/Sev signaling from germline to soma restricts germline-stem-cell-niche formation in the anterior region of Drosophila male gonads. Dev Cell. 2007;13:151-9 pubmed..Thus, we propose that signal transduction from germline to soma restricts expansion of the germline-stem-cell niche in the gonads. ..
- Whiteley M, Noguchi P, Sensabaugh S, Odenwald W, Kassis J. The Drosophila gene escargot encodes a zinc finger motif found in snail-related genes. Mech Dev. 1992;36:117-27 pubmed..We have named the Drosophila snail-related gene escargot (esg), and the region of sequence conservation common to all three genes the 'snailbox'...
- Boyle M, Bonini N, DiNardo S. Expression and function of clift in the development of somatic gonadal precursors within the Drosophila mesoderm. Development. 1997;124:971-82 pubmed..Thus, these studies identify essential regulators of gonadal precursor specification and differentiation and reveal novel aspects of the general mechanism whereby distinct fates are allocated within the mesoderm. ..
- Bentley A, Williams B, Goldberg M, Andres A. Phenotypic characterization of Drosophila ida mutants: defining the role of APC5 in cell cycle progression. J Cell Sci. 2002;115:949-61 pubmed..Taken together, these results suggest a model in which IDA/APC5 controls regulatory subfunctions of the anaphase-promoting complex. ..
- Voog J, D Alterio C, Jones D. Multipotent somatic stem cells contribute to the stem cell niche in the Drosophila testis. Nature. 2008;454:1132-6 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, our data indicate that the transcriptional repressor escargot regulates the ability of somatic cells to assume and/or maintain hub cell identity...
- Lu Y, Li Z. Notch signaling downstream target E(spl)mbeta is dispensable for adult midgut homeostasis in Drosophila. Gene. 2015;560:89-95 pubmed publisher..Together, these data indicate that the proliferation and differentiation of ISCs are not regulated by individual Notch downstream target, but by different downstream targets collectively. ..
- Fuse N, Matakatsu H, Taniguchi M, Hayashi S. Snail-type zinc finger proteins prevent neurogenesis in Scutoid and transgenic animals of Drosophila. Dev Genes Evol. 1999;209:573-80 pubmed..We have also shown that the expressivity of Scutoid is enhanced by zeste mutations. snail and escargot encode evolutionarily conserved zinc-finger proteins involved in the development of mesoderm and limbs...
- Tanaka H, Takasu E, Aigaki T, Kato K, Hayashi S, Nose A. Formin3 is required for assembly of the F-actin structure that mediates tracheal fusion in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2004;274:413-25 pubmed..These results suggested that Form3 plays a role in the F-actin assembly, which is essential for cellular rearrangement during tracheal fusion. ..
- Wang L, McLeod C, Jones D. Regulation of adult stem cell behavior by nutrient signaling. Cell Cycle. 2011;10:2628-34 pubmed..Here we discuss our data regarding the effects and mechanisms by which changes in systemic nutritional conditions may influence the maintenance and activity of adult stem cells via insulin signaling. ..
- Calleja M, Renaud O, Usui K, Pistillo D, Morata G, Simpson P. How to pattern an epithelium: lessons from achaete-scute regulation on the notum of Drosophila. Gene. 2002;292:1-12 pubmed..Thus there may be a common prepattern for the entire structure. ..
- Ryder E, Ashburner M, Bautista Llacer R, Drummond J, Webster J, Johnson G, et al. The DrosDel deletion collection: a Drosophila genomewide chromosomal deficiency resource. Genetics. 2007;177:615-29 pubmed..Finally, we provide a computational resource that facilitates selection of other mapped FRT-bearing elements that, when combined with the DrosDel collection, can theoretically generate over half a million precisely mapped deletions. ..
- Loza Coll M, Southall T, Sandall S, Brand A, Jones D. Regulation of Drosophila intestinal stem cell maintenance and differentiation by the transcription factor Escargot. EMBO J. 2014;33:2983-96 pubmed publisher..The escargot (esg) gene encodes a transcription factor that is expressed in stem cells in multiple tissues in Drosophila ..
- Chen F, Krasnow M. Progenitor outgrowth from the niche in Drosophila trachea is guided by FGF from decaying branches. Science. 2014;343:186-9 pubmed publisher..Thus, reactivation of an embryonic tracheal inducer in decaying branches directs outgrowth of progenitors that replace them. This explains how the structure of a newly generated tissue is coordinated with that of the old. ..
- Cai Y, Yu F, Lin S, Chia W, Yang X. Apical complex genes control mitotic spindle geometry and relative size of daughter cells in Drosophila neuroblast and pI asymmetric divisions. Cell. 2003;112:51-62 pubmed..In sensory organ precursors, Bazooka/DaPKC and Pins/G alpha i localize to opposite sides of the cortex and function in opposition to generate a symmetric spindle. ..
- Mortimer N, Moberg K. Regulation of Drosophila embryonic tracheogenesis by dVHL and hypoxia. Dev Biol. 2009;329:294-305 pubmed publisher..The identification of an early stage of tracheal development that is vulnerable to hypoxia is an important addition to models of the invertebrate hypoxic response. ..
- Lim H, Tomlinson A. Organization of the peripheral fly eye: the roles of Snail family transcription factors in peripheral retinal apoptosis. Development. 2006;133:3529-37 pubmed..Furthermore, we describe a later requirement for Snail family proteins in the 2 degrees and 3 degrees pigment cells throughout the main body of the eye. ..
- Le Bras S, Van Doren M. Development of the male germline stem cell niche in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2006;294:92-103 pubmed..This work establishes the Drosophila male GSC niche as a model for understanding the mechanisms controlling niche formation and initial stem cell recruitment, as well as the development of sexual dimorphism in the gonad. ..
- Dutta D, Buchon N, Xiang J, Edgar B. Regional Cell Specific RNA Expression Profiling of FACS Isolated Drosophila Intestinal Cell Populations. Curr Protoc Stem Cell Biol. 2015;34:2F.2.1-14 pubmed publisher..This method will be useful for quantitative transcriptome comparison across intestinal cell types in the different regions under normal and various experimental conditions. ..
- Franch Marro X, Casanova J. spalt-induced specification of distinct dorsal and ventral domains is required for Drosophila tracheal patterning. Dev Biol. 2002;250:374-82 pubmed..These results indicate that tracheal patterning depends not only on signalling from surrounding cells but also in the different response of the tracheal cells depending on their allocation to the dorsal or ventral domains. ..
- Edgar B, Orr Weaver T. Endoreplication cell cycles: more for less. Cell. 2001;105:297-306 pubmed
- Kassis J. Unusual properties of regulatory DNA from the Drosophila engrailed gene: three "pairing-sensitive" sites within a 1.6-kb region. Genetics. 1994;136:1025-38 pubmed..A PS site was also identified in regulatory DNA from the Drosophila escargot gene...
- Baechler B, McKnight C, Pruchnicki P, Biro N, Reed B. Hindsight/RREB-1 functions in both the specification and differentiation of stem cells in the adult midgut of Drosophila. Biol Open. 2015;5:1-10 pubmed publisher..We suggest that the nature of these contextual differences can be explained through the interaction of hnt with multiple signaling pathways. ..
- Jenkins A, McCaffery J, Van Doren M. Drosophila E-cadherin is essential for proper germ cell-soma interaction during gonad morphogenesis. Development. 2003;130:4417-26 pubmed..E-cadherin expression in the gonad is dramatically decreased in fear of intimacy mutants, indicating that Fear of Intimacy may be a regulator of E-cadherin expression or function. ..
- Li C, Guo Z, Wang Z. TGFbeta receptor saxophone non-autonomously regulates germline proliferation in a Smox/dSmad2-dependent manner in Drosophila testis. Dev Biol. 2007;309:70-7 pubmed..Furthermore, over-expressing Smox in cyst cells can partially rescue the proliferation phenotype induced by sax mutation. We propose that Smox acts downstream of Sax to prevent spermatogonial over-proliferation in Drosophila. ..
- Baker D, Beckingham K, Armstrong J. Functional dissection of the neural substrates for gravitaxic maze behavior in Drosophila melanogaster. J Comp Neurol. 2007;501:756-64 pubmed..Further, our results point toward a minimal, or nonexistent, role for the mushroom bodies. ..
- Guo Z, Driver I, Ohlstein B. Injury-induced BMP signaling negatively regulates Drosophila midgut homeostasis. J Cell Biol. 2013;201:945-61 pubmed publisher..Our data establish a new link between injury and hyperplasia and may provide insight into how BMP signaling mutations drive formation of human intestinal cancers...
- Hayashi S. A Cdc2 dependent checkpoint maintains diploidy in Drosophila. Development. 1996;122:1051-8 pubmed..To elucidate its mechanism, the functions of the escargot and Dmcdc2 genes of Drosophila were studied...
- Kiger A, White Cooper H, Fuller M. Somatic support cells restrict germline stem cell self-renewal and promote differentiation. Nature. 2000;407:750-4 pubmed
- Fellowes M, Godfray H. The evolutionary ecology of resistance to parasitoids by Drosophila. Heredity (Edinb). 2000;84 ( Pt 1):1-8 pubmed..Finally, the possible population and community ecological consequences of evolution in the levels of host resistance are examined. ..
- Guss K, Benson M, Gubitosi N, Brondell K, Broadie K, Skeath J. Expression and function of scalloped during Drosophila development. Dev Dyn. 2013;242:874-85 pubmed publisher..This work provides the necessary foundation for functional studies regarding the roles of sd during Drosophila development. ..
- Yagi Y, Suzuki T, Hayashi S. Interaction between Drosophila EGF receptor and vnd determines three dorsoventral domains of the neuroectoderm. Development. 1998;125:3625-33 pubmed..MAP-kinase activation was also observed in the medial column where esg and proneural gene expression is unaffected by DER...
- Ikeya T, Hayashi S. Interplay of Notch and FGF signaling restricts cell fate and MAPK activation in the Drosophila trachea. Development. 1999;126:4455-63 pubmed..A single fusion cell at the tip of each fusion branch expresses the zinc-finger gene escargot, leads branch migration in a stereotypical pattern and contacts with another fusion cell to mediate fusion of the ..
- Shigenobu S, Arita K, Kitadate Y, Noda C, Kobayashi S. Isolation of germline cells from Drosophila embryos by flow cytometry. Dev Growth Differ. 2006;48:49-57 pubmed..This technique opens the way for genome-wide transcriptome analysis of germline cells. In a pilot experiment, we generated a cDNA library from purified embryonic gonad and identified a novel germline-specific gene, RpL22-like. ..
- Zelzer E, Shilo B. Cell fate choices in Drosophila tracheal morphogenesis. Bioessays. 2000;22:219-26 pubmed..Tracheal cell fate choices are determined by signaling cascades triggered by signals emanating from the tracheal cells, as well as by ligands produced by adjacent tissues. ..
- Hall L, Alexander S, Chang M, Woodling N, Yedvobnick B. An EP overexpression screen for genetic modifiers of Notch pathway function in Drosophila melanogaster. Genet Res. 2004;83:71-82 pubmed..Our results suggest that a genetic screen that combines partial loss of function with random gene overexpression might be a useful strategy in the analysis of developmental pathways. ..
- Guo Z, Ohlstein B. Stem cell regulation. Bidirectional Notch signaling regulates Drosophila intestinal stem cell multipotency. Science. 2015;350: pubmed publisher..Our data reveal a conserved role for Notch in Drosophila and mammalian ISC maintenance and suggest that bidirectional Notch signaling may regulate multipotency in other systems. ..