Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Elav
Description: embryonic lethal abnormal vision
Alias: 44C11, 9F8A9, CG4262, Dmel\CG4262, EC7, EG:65F1.2, ELAV, END1-2, ElaV, Elav, Elav-9F8A9, dHuR, elav-1, elav-2, elav-3, fliJ, l(1)1Be, l(1)EC7, l(1)G0031, l(1)G0319, weg, embryonic lethal abnormal vision, CG4262-PA, CG4262-PB, CG4262-PC, CG4262-PD, elav-PA, elav-PB, elav-PC, elav-PD, embryonic lethal abnormal visual system, embryonic lethal, abnormal vision, weniger
Species: fruit fly
- Mao Y, Rauskolb C, Cho E, Hu W, Hayter H, Minihan G, et al. Dachs: an unconventional myosin that functions downstream of Fat to regulate growth, affinity and gene expression in Drosophila. Development. 2006;133:2539-51 pubmed..Our results implicate Dachs as a crucial downstream component of a Fat signaling pathway that influences growth, affinity and gene expression during development. ..
- Lin Y, Reddy B, Irvine K. Requirement for a core 1 galactosyltransferase in the Drosophila nervous system. Dev Dyn. 2008;237:3703-14 pubmed publisher..Lectin staining and blotting experiments confirmed that C1GalTA contributes to the synthesis of Gal-beta1,3-GalNAc in vivo. Our results identify a role for mucin-type O-glycosylation during neural development in Drosophila. ..
- Christiansen A, Ding T, Bergmann A. Ligand-independent activation of the Hedgehog pathway displays non-cell autonomous proliferation during eye development in Drosophila. Mech Dev. 2012;129:98-108 pubmed publisher..Together, these non-cell autonomous growth and differentiation phenotypes in the Drosophila eye model reveal another strategy by which oncogenes may generate a supportive micro-environment for tumor growth. ..
- Acar M, Jafar Nejad H, Takeuchi H, Rajan A, Ibrani D, Rana N, et al. Rumi is a CAP10 domain glycosyltransferase that modifies Notch and is required for Notch signaling. Cell. 2008;132:247-58 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that by O-glucosylating Notch in the ER, Rumi regulates its folding and/or trafficking and allows signaling at the cell membrane. ..
- Banerjee S, Bainton R, Mayer N, Beckstead R, Bhat M. Septate junctions are required for ommatidial integrity and blood-eye barrier function in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2008;317:585-99 pubmed publisher..Our studies may provide clues towards understanding the vertebrate BEB formation and function. ..
- Weasner B, Salzer C, Kumar J. Sine oculis, a member of the SIX family of transcription factors, directs eye formation. Dev Biol. 2007;303:756-71 pubmed..Taken together, these results shed new light on the role that so plays in eye specification. ..
- Chotard C, Leung W, Salecker I. glial cells missing and gcm2 cell autonomously regulate both glial and neuronal development in the visual system of Drosophila. Neuron. 2005;48:237-51 pubmed..Our findings further suggest that gcm genes regulate neurogenesis through collaboration with the Hedgehog-signaling pathway. ..
- Baker N, Bhattacharya A, Firth L. Regulation of Hh signal transduction as Drosophila eye differentiation progresses. Dev Biol. 2009;335:356-66 pubmed publisher..A model is presented for regulation of the Cullin-3 and Cullin-1 pathways that modifies Hedgehog signaling as the morphogenetic furrow moves and the responses of retinal cells change. ..
- Benhra N, Lallet S, Cotton M, Le Bras S, Dussert A, Le Borgne R. AP-1 controls the trafficking of Notch and Sanpodo toward E-cadherin junctions in sensory organ precursors. Curr Biol. 2011;21:87-95 pubmed publisher..Because AP-1 does not prevent endocytosis and recycling of the Notch ligand Delta, our data indicate that the DE-cadherin junctional domain may act as a launching pad through which endocytosed Notch ligand is trafficked for signaling. ..
- Hilgers V, Lemke S, Levine M. ELAV mediates 3' UTR extension in the Drosophila nervous system. Genes Dev. 2012;26:2259-64 pubmed publisher..We show that ELAV (embryonic-lethal abnormal visual system) is a key mediator of these neural-specific extensions...
- Sprecher S, Pichaud F, Desplan C. Adult and larval photoreceptors use different mechanisms to specify the same Rhodopsin fates. Genes Dev. 2007;21:2182-95 pubmed..Therefore, even though the larval PRs and adult R8 PRs express the same rhodopsins (rh5 and rh6), they use very distinct mechanisms for their specification. ..
- Umetsu D, Murakami S, Sato M, Tabata T. The highly ordered assembly of retinal axons and their synaptic partners is regulated by Hedgehog/Single-minded in the Drosophila visual system. Development. 2006;133:791-800 pubmed..As a result, lamina neurons are set aside from R axons. The data reveal a novel mechanism for regulation of the interaction between axons and neuronal cell bodies that establishes precise neuronal networks. ..
- Fiehler R, Wolff T. Nemo is required in a subset of photoreceptors to regulate the speed of ommatidial rotation. Dev Biol. 2008;313:533-44 pubmed..The results presented here suggest a model in which a motor for rotation is established in a nemo-dependent fashion in a subset of cells. ..
- Weber U, Pataki C, Mihaly J, Mlodzik M. Combinatorial signaling by the Frizzled/PCP and Egfr pathways during planar cell polarity establishment in the Drosophila eye. Dev Biol. 2008;316:110-23 pubmed publisher..Taken together with previous work establishing a Notch-dependent Su(H) function in R4, we conclude that Fos, Yan, Pnt, and Su(H) integrate Egfr, Fz, and Notch signaling input in R3 or R4 to establish cell fate and ommatidial polarity. ..
- Escudero L, Bischoff M, Freeman M. Myosin II regulates complex cellular arrangement and epithelial architecture in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2007;13:717-29 pubmed..Our work implies that regulation of the actomyosin cytoskeleton can control morphogenesis by regulating both individual cell shapes and their complex two-dimensional arrangement within epithelia. ..
- Yu Y, Li Z, Rizzo N, Einstein J, Welte M. Targeting the motor regulator Klar to lipid droplets. BMC Cell Biol. 2011;12:9 pubmed publisher..Our analysis demonstrates that droplet targeting of Klar occurs via a cis-acting sequence and generates a new tool for monitoring lipid droplets in living tissues of Drosophila. ..
- Gallagher C, Knoblich J. The conserved c2 domain protein lethal (2) giant discs regulates protein trafficking in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2006;11:641-53 pubmed..Our experiments suggest that Lgd is a critical regulator of endocytosis that is not present in yeast and acts in the degradative pathway after Hrs. ..
- Morante J, Erclik T, Desplan C. Cell migration in Drosophila optic lobe neurons is controlled by eyeless/Pax6. Development. 2011;138:687-93 pubmed publisher..These defects in cell migration among medulla cortex cells can be rescued by removing DE-Cadherin. Thus, eyeless links neurogenesis and neuronal migration. ..
- Kondo S, Senoo Matsuda N, Hiromi Y, Miura M. DRONC coordinates cell death and compensatory proliferation. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:7258-68 pubmed..These results show that the apoptotic pathway bifurcates at DRONC and that DRONC coordinates the execution of cell death and compensatory proliferation. ..
- Singh A, Shi X, Choi K. Lobe and Serrate are required for cell survival during early eye development in Drosophila. Development. 2006;133:4771-81 pubmed..5-fold higher frequency. This suggests that L or Ser loss-of-function triggers both caspase-dependent and -independent cell death. Our studies thus identify a mechanism responsible for cell survival in the early eye. ..
- Ekas L, Baeg G, Flaherty M, Ayala Camargo A, Bach E. JAK/STAT signaling promotes regional specification by negatively regulating wingless expression in Drosophila. Development. 2006;133:4721-9 pubmed..Taken together, our study is the first to demonstrate a role for the JAK/STAT pathway in regional specification by acting antagonistically to wg. ..
- Li X, Carthew R. A microRNA mediates EGF receptor signaling and promotes photoreceptor differentiation in the Drosophila eye. Cell. 2005;123:1267-77 pubmed..Expression is switched when EGFR signaling transiently triggers Yan degradation. This two-tiered mechanism explains how signal transduction activity can robustly generate a stable change in gene-expression patterns. ..
- Mills K, Daish T, Harvey K, Pfleger C, Hariharan I, Kumar S. The Drosophila melanogaster Apaf-1 homologue ARK is required for most, but not all, programmed cell death. J Cell Biol. 2006;172:809-15 pubmed..During metamorphosis, larval salivary gland removal was severely delayed in ark mutants. However, PCD occurred normally in the larval midgut, suggesting that ARK-independent cell death pathways also exist in D. melanogaster. ..
- Yang L, Baker N. Notch activity opposes Ras-induced differentiation during the Second Mitotic Wave of the developing Drosophila eye. BMC Dev Biol. 2006;6:8 pubmed..Dual effects of Notch on the cell cycle and on differentiation help ensure that only G1 phase cells undergo fate specification. ..
- Yogev S, Schejter E, Shilo B. Drosophila EGFR signalling is modulated by differential compartmentalization of Rhomboid intramembrane proteases. EMBO J. 2008;27:1219-30 pubmed publisher..These observations identify changes in intracellular compartment localization of Rho proteins as a basis for signal attenuation, in tissues where EGFR activation must be highly restricted in space and time. ..
- Yang C, Rumpf S, Xiang Y, Gordon M, Song W, Jan L, et al. Control of the postmating behavioral switch in Drosophila females by internal sensory neurons. Neuron. 2009;61:519-26 pubmed publisher..Our results uncover a neuronal mechanism by which sex peptide exerts its control over reproductive behaviors in Drosophila females. ..
- Schuldiner O, Berdnik D, Levy J, Wu J, Luginbuhl D, Gontang A, et al. piggyBac-based mosaic screen identifies a postmitotic function for cohesin in regulating developmental axon pruning. Dev Cell. 2008;14:227-38 pubmed publisher..We also demonstrate a postmitotic role for SMC1 in dendrite targeting of olfactory projection neurons. We suggest that cohesin regulates diverse aspects of neuronal morphogenesis...
- Sousa Nunes R, Yee L, Gould A. Fat cells reactivate quiescent neuroblasts via TOR and glial insulin relays in Drosophila. Nature. 2011;471:508-12 pubmed publisher..This mechanism indicates that dietary nutrients and remote organs, as well as local niches, are key regulators of transitions in stem-cell behaviour...
- Hasegawa E, Kitada Y, Kaido M, Takayama R, Awasaki T, Tabata T, et al. Concentric zones, cell migration and neuronal circuits in the Drosophila visual center. Development. 2011;138:983-93 pubmed publisher..Thus, genes that show the concentric zones may form a genetic hierarchy to establish neuronal circuits in the medulla. ..
- Wang H, Somers G, Bashirullah A, Heberlein U, Yu F, Chia W. Aurora-A acts as a tumor suppressor and regulates self-renewal of Drosophila neuroblasts. Genes Dev. 2006;20:3453-63 pubmed..We have identified a novel mechanism for controlling the balance between self-renewal and neuronal differentiation during the asymmetric division of Drosophila larval NBs. ..
- Lopes C, Casares F. hth maintains the pool of eye progenitors and its downregulation by Dpp and Hh couples retinal fate acquisition with cell cycle exit. Dev Biol. 2010;339:78-88 pubmed publisher..We integrate these results in a model of the early steps of eye development that links proliferation control and differential gene expression with patterning signals. ..
- Camp D, Currie K, Labbe A, van Meyel D, Charron F. Ihog and Boi are essential for Hedgehog signaling in Drosophila. Neural Dev. 2010;5:28 pubmed publisher..The consequences of boi;ihog mutations for eye development, neural differentiation and wing patterning phenocopy those of smo mutations and uncover an essential role for Ihog and Boi in the Hh signaling pathway. ..
- Menut L, Vaccari T, Dionne H, Hill J, Wu G, Bilder D. A mosaic genetic screen for Drosophila neoplastic tumor suppressor genes based on defective pupation. Genetics. 2007;177:1667-77 pubmed..The isolation of additional loci that affect hyperplastic as well as neoplastic growth indicates the utility of this screening strategy for studying epithelial growth control. ..
- Tyler D, Baker N. Expanded and fat regulate growth and differentiation in the Drosophila eye through multiple signaling pathways. Dev Biol. 2007;305:187-201 pubmed..During disc growth, ex was largely epistatic to ft, and the Warts pathway mutation hippo largely epistatic to ex. Our data suggest that ft and ex act partially through the Warts pathway. ..
- Miller A, Seymour H, King C, Herman T. Loss of seven-up from Drosophila R1/R6 photoreceptors reveals a stochastic fate choice that is normally biased by Notch. Development. 2008;135:707-15 pubmed publisher..We show that N specifies the R7 fate by a novel branched pathway: N represses Svp expression, thereby exposing an underlying stochastic choice between the R7 and R8 fates, and then tips this choice towards the R7 fate. ..
- Remaud S, Audibert A, Gho M. S-phase favours notch cell responsiveness in the Drosophila bristle lineage. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e3646 pubmed publisher..We suggest that high-order chromatin structures associated with the S-phase create favourable conditions that increase the efficiency of the transcriptional machinery with respect to N-target genes. ..
- Eun S, Banks S, Fischer J. Auxilin is essential for Delta signaling. Development. 2008;135:1089-95 pubmed publisher..We discuss these observations in the light of current models for the role of Epsin in ligand endocytosis and the role of ligand endocytosis in Notch signaling. ..
- Hagedorn E, Bayraktar J, Kandachar V, Bai T, Englert D, Chang H. Drosophila melanogaster auxilin regulates the internalization of Delta to control activity of the Notch signaling pathway. J Cell Biol. 2006;173:443-52 pubmed..Furthermore, the fact that auxilin is required for Notch signaling suggests that ligand endocytosis in the signal-sending cells needs to proceed past coat disassembly to activate Notch. ..
- Tare M, Modi R, Nainaparampil J, Puli O, Bedi S, Fernandez Funez P, et al. Activation of JNK signaling mediates amyloid-ß-dependent cell death. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e24361 pubmed publisher..Therefore, inappropriate JNK activation may indeed be relevant to the AD neuropathology, thus making JNK a key target for AD therapies. ..
- Bossuyt W, De Geest N, Aerts S, Leenaerts I, Marynen P, Hassan B. The atonal proneural transcription factor links differentiation and tumor formation in Drosophila. PLoS Biol. 2009;7:e40 pubmed publisher..Combined with evidence that atonal's mammalian homolog, ATOH1, is a tumor suppressor gene, our data support a critical, evolutionarily conserved, function for ato in oncogenesis. ..
- Curtiss J, Burnett M, Mlodzik M. distal antenna and distal antenna-related function in the retinal determination network during eye development in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2007;306:685-702 pubmed..These data demonstrate a role for Dan and Danr in eye development and provide a link between eye specification and differentiation. ..
- Udolph G, Rath P, Tio M, Toh J, Fang W, Pandey R, et al. On the roles of Notch, Delta, kuzbanian, and inscuteable during the development of Drosophila embryonic neuroblast lineages. Dev Biol. 2009;336:156-68 pubmed publisher..Thus, there is differential requirement for insc for cell fate specification depending on the stage of lineage progression of NBs. ..
- Acar M, Jafar Nejad H, Giagtzoglou N, Yallampalli S, David G, He Y, et al. Senseless physically interacts with proneural proteins and functions as a transcriptional co-activator. Development. 2006;133:1979-89 pubmed
- Lee J, Koh H, Kim M, Park J, Lee S, Lee S, et al. JNK pathway mediates apoptotic cell death induced by tumor suppressor LKB1 in Drosophila. Cell Death Differ. 2006;13:1110-22 pubmed..Collectively, our studies unprecedentedly elucidate JNK as the downstream mediator of the LKB1-dependent apoptosis, and provide a new paradigm for understanding the diverse LKB1 functions in vivo. ..
- Brown K, Baonza A, Freeman M. Epithelial cell adhesion in the developing Drosophila retina is regulated by Atonal and the EGF receptor pathway. Dev Biol. 2006;300:710-21 pubmed..These observations define a new function for EGFR signalling in eye development and illustrate a mechanism for the control of epithelial morphology by developmental signals. ..
- Charroux B, Freeman M, Kerridge S, Baonza A. Atrophin contributes to the negative regulation of epidermal growth factor receptor signaling in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2006;291:278-90 pubmed..Finally, we have found that expression of pathogenic or normal forms of human Atrophin-1 in the wing promotes wing vein differentiation and acts as dominant negative proteins inhibiting endogenous fly Atrophin activity. ..
- Xie B, Charlton Perkins M, McDonald E, Gebelein B, Cook T. Senseless functions as a molecular switch for color photoreceptor differentiation in Drosophila. Development. 2007;134:4243-53 pubmed..Interestingly, Pros has recently been shown to function as a tumor suppressor, whereas Gfi1 is a well-characterized oncogene. Thus, we propose that sens/pros antagonism is important for regulating many biological processes. ..
- Sugie A, Umetsu D, Yasugi T, Fischbach K, Tabata T. Recognition of pre- and postsynaptic neurons via nephrin/NEPH1 homologs is a basis for the formation of the Drosophila retinotopic map. Development. 2010;137:3303-13 pubmed publisher..Postsynaptic partners then recognize the presynaptic axons to make ensembles, thus establishing a topographic map along the anterior/posterior axis. ..
- Siegrist S, Haque N, Chen C, Hay B, Hariharan I. Inactivation of both Foxo and reaper promotes long-term adult neurogenesis in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2010;20:643-8 pubmed publisher..Thus, inhibition of the pathways that normally function to eliminate neural stem cells during development enables adult neurogenesis. ..
- Woodfield S, Graves H, Hernandez J, Bergmann A. De-regulation of JNK and JAK/STAT signaling in ESCRT-II mutant tissues cooperatively contributes to neoplastic tumorigenesis. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e56021 pubmed publisher..This is the first rigorous study of tissues predominantly mutant for endocytic nTSGs and provides clear evidence for cooperation among de-regulated signaling pathways leading to tumorigenesis. ..
- Harrisingh M, Wu Y, Lnenicka G, Nitabach M. Intracellular Ca2+ regulates free-running circadian clock oscillation in vivo. J Neurosci. 2007;27:12489-99 pubmed..These results suggest a role for intracellular Ca2+ signaling in regulating intrinsic cellular oscillation in vivo. ..
- Bowman S, Rolland V, Betschinger J, Kinsey K, Emery G, Knoblich J. The tumor suppressors Brat and Numb regulate transit-amplifying neuroblast lineages in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2008;14:535-46 pubmed publisher..Our data describe a transit-amplifying lineage in the Drosophila nervous system and suggest that different vulnerabilities in intermediate cell types can affect the outcome of tumor suppressor loss in stem cell lineages. ..
- Uhlirova M, Bohmann D. JNK- and Fos-regulated Mmp1 expression cooperates with Ras to induce invasive tumors in Drosophila. EMBO J. 2006;25:5294-304 pubmed
- Pepple K, Anderson A, Frankfort B, Mardon G. A genetic screen in Drosophila for genes interacting with senseless during neuronal development identifies the importin moleskin. Genetics. 2007;175:125-41 pubmed..Interestingly, in msk tissue, the loss of R8 fate occurs earlier than with sens and suggests a previously unidentified stage of R8 development between atonal and sens. ..
- Bello B, Holbro N, Reichert H. Polycomb group genes are required for neural stem cell survival in postembryonic neurogenesis of Drosophila. Development. 2007;134:1091-9 pubmed..Moreover, together with data on mammalian PcG genes, they imply that repression of aberrant reactivation of Hox genes may be a general and evolutionarily conserved role for PcG genes in CNS development. ..
- Vallejo D, Caparros E, Dominguez M. Targeting Notch signalling by the conserved miR-8/200 microRNA family in development and cancer cells. EMBO J. 2011;30:756-69 pubmed publisher..Together, these data define a new way to attenuate or boost Notch signalling that may have clinical interest. ..
- Soustelle L, Giangrande A. Novel gcm-dependent lineages in the postembryonic nervous system of Drosophila melanogaster. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:2101-8 pubmed..It is also expressed in a thoracic glial lineage and in neurons of the ventral nerve cord (VNC). Finally, while gcm is required for gliogenesis in medulla and VNC, it does not seem to be required for the generation of VNC neurons. ..
- Wang D, Qian L, Xiong H, Liu J, Neckameyer W, Oldham S, et al. Antioxidants protect PINK1-dependent dopaminergic neurons in Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:13520-5 pubmed
- Anderson A, Weasner B, Weasner B, Kumar J. Dual transcriptional activities of SIX proteins define their roles in normal and ectopic eye development. Development. 2012;139:991-1000 pubmed publisher..This model of repression-mediated induction of developmental programs could have implications beyond the eye and might be applicable to other systems. ..
- Herz H, Chen Z, Scherr H, Lackey M, Bolduc C, Bergmann A. vps25 mosaics display non-autonomous cell survival and overgrowth, and autonomous apoptosis. Development. 2006;133:1871-80 pubmed..In summary, the phenotypic analysis of vps25 mutants highlights the importance of receptor downregulation by endosomal protein sorting for appropriate tissue homeostasis, and may serve as a model for human cancer. ..
- Häsemeyer M, Yapici N, Heberlein U, Dickson B. Sensory neurons in the Drosophila genital tract regulate female reproductive behavior. Neuron. 2009;61:511-8 pubmed publisher..These neurons project to regions of the central nervous system that have been implicated in the control of reproductive behaviors in Drosophila and other insects. ..
- Bello B, Izergina N, Caussinus E, Reichert H. Amplification of neural stem cell proliferation by intermediate progenitor cells in Drosophila brain development. Neural Dev. 2008;3:5 pubmed publisher..This suggests that key aspects of neural stem cell biology might be conserved in brain development of insects and mammals. ..
- McDonald E, Xie B, Workman M, Charlton Perkins M, Terrell D, Reischl J, et al. Separable transcriptional regulatory domains within Otd control photoreceptor terminal differentiation events. Dev Biol. 2010;347:122-32 pubmed publisher..Thus, these studies provide a basis for identifying shared molecular pathways involved in a wide range of developmental processes. ..
- Sprecher S, Desplan C. Switch of rhodopsin expression in terminally differentiated Drosophila sensory neurons. Nature. 2008;454:533-7 pubmed publisher..This fate switch of functioning, terminally differentiated neurons provides a novel, unexpected example of hard-wired sensory plasticity. ..
- Bhattacharya A, Baker N. The HLH protein Extramacrochaetae is required for R7 cell and cone cell fates in the Drosophila eye. Dev Biol. 2009;327:288-300 pubmed publisher..A model is proposed in which Extramacrochaetae acts in parallel to or as a feed-forward regulator of the E(spl)-Complex to promote Notch signaling in particular cellular contexts. ..
- Chen T, Chen G, Funkhouser L, Nam S. Membrane domain modulation by Spectrins in Drosophila photoreceptor morphogenesis. Genesis. 2009;47:744-50 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that Spectrins are required for controlling photoreceptor morphogenesis through the modulations of cell membrane domains. ..
- Shafer O, Helfrich Forster C, Renn S, Taghert P. Reevaluation of Drosophila melanogaster's neuronal circadian pacemakers reveals new neuronal classes. J Comp Neurol. 2006;498:180-93 pubmed..Finally, we present molecular and anatomical evidence for unrecognized phenotypic diversity within each of four established classes of clock neurons. ..
- Awasaki T, Lai S, Ito K, Lee T. Organization and postembryonic development of glial cells in the adult central brain of Drosophila. J Neurosci. 2008;28:13742-53 pubmed publisher..It lays an essential foundation for studying glia development and function in the Drosophila brain. ..
- Wang J, Brent J, Tomlinson A, Shneider N, McCabe B. The ALS-associated proteins FUS and TDP-43 function together to affect Drosophila locomotion and life span. J Clin Invest. 2011;121:4118-26 pubmed publisher..Our results establish that FUS and TDP-43 function together in vivo and suggest that molecular pathways requiring the combined activities of both of these proteins may be disrupted in ALS and FTD. ..
- Mirkovic I, Mlodzik M. Cooperative activities of drosophila DE-cadherin and DN-cadherin regulate the cell motility process of ommatidial rotation. Development. 2006;133:3283-93 pubmed..A similar input into mammalian E- and N-cadherins might function in the progression of diseases such as metastatic ovarian cancer. ..
- Sanyal S. Genomic mapping and expression patterns of C380, OK6 and D42 enhancer trap lines in the larval nervous system of Drosophila. Gene Expr Patterns. 2009;9:371-80 pubmed publisher..A comparative anatomy of the laval central nervous systems and peripheral innervation in these Frosophilids species as revealed by contemporary immunohistochemical markers is also presented. ..
- Diao F, Waro G, Tsunoda S. Fast inactivation of Shal (K(v)4) K+ channels is regulated by the novel interactor SKIP3 in Drosophila neurons. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2009;42:33-44 pubmed publisher..As a scaffold-like protein, SKIP3 is likely to lead to the identification of a novel regulatory complex that modulates Shal channel inactivation. ..
- Choi C, Vilain S, Langen M, Van Kelst S, De Geest N, Yan J, et al. Conditional mutagenesis in Drosophila. Science. 2009;324:54 pubmed publisher..IMAGO should also be applicable to other genetic model organisms. ..
- Boone J, Doe C. Identification of Drosophila type II neuroblast lineages containing transit amplifying ganglion mother cells. Dev Neurobiol. 2008;68:1185-95 pubmed publisher..Type II lineages allow more neurons to be produced faster than Type I lineages, which may be advantageous in a rapidly developing organism like Drosophila. ..
- Rezaval C, Berni J, Gorostiza E, Werbajh S, Fagilde M, Fernández M, et al. A functional misexpression screen uncovers a role for enabled in progressive neurodegeneration. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e3332 pubmed publisher..e., vulnerability of certain neuronal populations and progressive degeneration, offering a unique scenario in which to unravel the specific mechanisms in an easily tractable organism. ..
- Venkatachalam K, Long A, Elsaesser R, Nikolaeva D, Broadie K, Montell C. Motor deficit in a Drosophila model of mucolipidosis type IV due to defective clearance of apoptotic cells. Cell. 2008;135:838-51 pubmed publisher..Since hematopoietic cells in humans are involved in clearance of apoptotic cells, our results raise the possibility that bone marrow transplantation may limit the progression of MLIV...