Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Eb1
Alias: BcDNA.LD08743, BcDNA:LD08743, CG3265, Dm EB1, DmEB1, Dmel\CG3265, EB-1, EB1, S(DmcycE[JP])2.5, anon-EST:Liang-2.33, anon-EST:Liang-2.52, clone 2.33, clone 2.52, dEB-1, dEB1, dEb1, eb1, l(2)04524, l(2)4524, Eb1, +TIP End-Binding 1, CG3265-PA, CG3265-PB, CG3265-PD, CG3265-PE, CG3265-PF, CG3265-PG, Eb1-PA, Eb1-PB, Eb1-PD, Eb1-PE, Eb1-PF, Eb1-PG, MT-plus-end-binding protein, microtubule plus-tip protein EB1
Species: fruit fly
- Goshima G, Nedelec F, Vale R. Mechanisms for focusing mitotic spindle poles by minus end-directed motor proteins. J Cell Biol. 2005;171:229-40 pubmed..novel localization of Ncd to the growing tips of C-MTs, which we show is mediated by the plus end-tracking protein, EB1. Computer modeling of the K fiber focusing process suggests that the plus end localization of Ncd could facilitate ..
- Lu W, Fox P, Lakonishok M, Davidson M, Gelfand V. Initial neurite outgrowth in Drosophila neurons is driven by kinesin-powered microtubule sliding. Curr Biol. 2013;23:1018-23 pubmed publisher..As kinesin-1 is highly evolutionarily conserved from Drosophila to humans, it is likely that kinesin-1-powered microtubule sliding plays an important role in neurite extension in many types of neurons across species...
- Moutinho Pereira S, Debec A, Maiato H. Microtubule cytoskeleton remodeling by acentriolar microtubule-organizing centers at the entry and exit from mitosis in Drosophila somatic cells. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:2796-808 pubmed publisher..Our data reveal a new form of cell cycle-regulated MTOCs that contribute for MT cytoskeleton remodeling during mitotic spindle assembly/disassembly in animal somatic cells, independently of centrioles. ..
- Cheerambathur D, Civelekoglu Scholey G, Brust Mascher I, Sommi P, Mogilner A, Scholey J. Quantitative analysis of an anaphase B switch: predicted role for a microtubule catastrophe gradient. J Cell Biol. 2007;177:995-1004 pubmed..Fluorescence microscopy of the MT tip tracker EB1 revealed that growing MT plus ends localize throughout the preanaphase B spindle but concentrate in the overlap ..
- Elliott S, Cullen C, Wrobel N, Kernan M, Ohkura H. EB1 is essential during Drosophila development and plays a crucial role in the integrity of chordotonal mechanosensory organs. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:891-901 pubmed..We show that one of the multiple Drosophila EB1 homologues, DmEB1, is ubiquitously expressed and has essential functions during development...
- Goodwin S, Vale R. Patronin regulates the microtubule network by protecting microtubule minus ends. Cell. 2010;143:263-74 pubmed publisher..We propose that Patronin caps and stabilizes microtubule minus ends, an activity that serves a critical role in the organization of the microtubule cytoskeleton. ..
- Zhang G, Breuer M, Förster A, Egger Adam D, Wodarz A. Mars, a Drosophila protein related to vertebrate HURP, is required for the attachment of centrosomes to the mitotic spindle during syncytial nuclear divisions. J Cell Sci. 2009;122:535-45 pubmed publisher..We propose that Mars is an important linker between the spindle and the centrosomes that is required for proper spindle organization during the rapid mitotic cycles in early embryogenesis. ..
- Liang Z, Hallen M, Endow S. Mature Drosophila meiosis I spindles comprise microtubules of mixed polarity. Curr Biol. 2009;19:163-8 pubmed publisher..anastral meiosis I spindles of live Drosophila oocytes expressing the microtubule plus end-tracking protein, EB1, fused to GFP, and find fluorescent particles throughout the spindle and movement toward both the poles and the ..
- Subramanian A, Prokop A, Yamamoto M, Sugimura K, Uemura T, Betschinger J, et al. Shortstop recruits EB1/APC1 and promotes microtubule assembly at the muscle-tendon junction. Curr Biol. 2003;13:1086-95 pubmed..We show that Shot colocalizes with EB1/APC1 and with a compact microtubule array extending between the muscle-tendon junction and the cuticle...
- Jankovics F, Brunner D. Transiently reorganized microtubules are essential for zippering during dorsal closure in Drosophila melanogaster. Dev Cell. 2006;11:375-85 pubmed..We provide a clearly defined example where cells of a developing organism transiently reorganize their microtubules to fulfill a specialized morphogenetic task. ..
- de Lartigue J, Brust Mascher I, Scholey J. Anaphase B spindle dynamics in Drosophila S2 cells: Comparison with embryo spindles. Cell Div. 2011;6:8 pubmed publisher..Also, EB1-labelled microtubule plus ends redistribute away from the poles and towards the interpolar microtubule overlap zone,..
- Nguyen M, Stone M, Rolls M. Microtubules are organized independently of the centrosome in Drosophila neurons. Neural Dev. 2011;6:38 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the centrosome is not a major site of microtubule nucleation in Drosophila neurons, and is not required for maintenance of neuronal microtubule organization in these cells. ..
- Januschke J, Gonzalez C. The interphase microtubule aster is a determinant of asymmetric division orientation in Drosophila neuroblasts. J Cell Biol. 2010;188:693-706 pubmed publisher..We have also found that the span of such memory is limited to the last mitosis. Furthermore, the orientation of the NB axis of polarity can be reset to any angle with respect to the surrounding tissue and is, therefore, cell autonomous...
- Rebollo E, Sampaio P, Januschke J, Llamazares S, Varmark H, Gonzalez C. Functionally unequal centrosomes drive spindle orientation in asymmetrically dividing Drosophila neural stem cells. Dev Cell. 2007;12:467-74 pubmed..Apical aster maintenance requires the function of Pins. These results reveal that spindle orientation in Drosophila larval NBs is determined very early in the cell cycle, and is mediated by asymmetric centrosome function. ..
- Buster D, Zhang D, Sharp D. Poleward tubulin flux in spindles: regulation and function in mitotic cells. Mol Biol Cell. 2007;18:3094-104 pubmed
- Bitan A, Rosenbaum I, Abdu U. Stable and dynamic microtubules coordinately determine and maintain Drosophila bristle shape. Development. 2012;139:1987-96 pubmed publisher..By following MT-decorating hooks and by tracking EB1 we identified two MT populations within bristles: a stable MT population polarized with their minus ends distal to ..
- Wainman A, Buster D, Duncan T, Metz J, Ma A, Sharp D, et al. A new Augmin subunit, Msd1, demonstrates the importance of mitotic spindle-templated microtubule nucleation in the absence of functioning centrosomes. Genes Dev. 2009;23:1876-81 pubmed publisher..Importantly, however, in the absence of centrosomes, microtubule nucleation from within the spindle becomes essential. Thus, the Augmin complex has a crucial role in the development of the fly. ..
- Zheng Y, Wildonger J, Ye B, Zhang Y, Kita A, Younger S, et al. Dynein is required for polarized dendritic transport and uniform microtubule orientation in axons. Nat Cell Biol. 2008;10:1172-80 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that dynein is required for the distinguishing properties of the axon and dendrites: without dynein, dendritic organelles and proteins enter the axon and the axonal microtubules are no longer uniform in polarity. ..
- Satoh D, Sato D, Tsuyama T, Saito M, Ohkura H, Rolls M, et al. Spatial control of branching within dendritic arbors by dynein-dependent transport of Rab5-endosomes. Nat Cell Biol. 2008;10:1164-71 pubmed publisher..These results reveal an important link between microtubule motors and endosomes in dendrite morphogenesis. ..
- Conduit P, Brunk K, Dobbelaere J, Dix C, Lucas E, Raff J. Centrioles regulate centrosome size by controlling the rate of Cnn incorporation into the PCM. Curr Biol. 2010;20:2178-86 pubmed publisher..This mechanism can explain how centrosome size is regulated during the cell cycle and also allows mother and daughter centrioles to set centrosome size independently of one another. ..
- Yang L, Parton R, Ball G, Qiu Z, Greenaway A, Davis I, et al. An adaptive non-local means filter for denoising live-cell images and improving particle detection. J Struct Biol. 2010;172:233-43 pubmed publisher..We show that our feature-preserving non-local means filter can reduce the threshold of imaging conditions required to obtain meaningful data. ..
- Applewhite D, Grode K, Keller D, Zadeh A, Zadeh A, Slep K, et al. The spectraplakin Short stop is an actin-microtubule cross-linker that contributes to organization of the microtubule network. Mol Biol Cell. 2010;21:1714-24 pubmed publisher..In the cell interior, Shot binds growing plus ends through an interaction with EB1. In the cell periphery, Shot associates with the microtubule lattice via its GAS2 domain, and this pool of Shot is ..
- Bienz M. Spindles cotton on to junctions, APC and EB1. Nat Cell Biol. 2001;3:E67-8 pubmed
- Stone M, Roegiers F, Rolls M. Microtubules have opposite orientation in axons and dendrites of Drosophila neurons. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:4122-9 pubmed publisher..As predicted by our map, endosomes travel smoothly between the cell body and axon, but they cannot move directly between the cell body and dendrites. ..
- Mennella V, Rogers G, Rogers S, Buster D, Vale R, Sharp D. Functionally distinct kinesin-13 family members cooperate to regulate microtubule dynamics during interphase. Nat Cell Biol. 2005;7:235-45 pubmed..Our data also suggest that KLP10A is deposited on microtubules by the plus-end tracking protein, EB1. Our findings support a model in which these two members of the kinesin-13 family divide the labour of microtubule ..
- Goshima G, Wollman R, Stuurman N, Scholey J, Vale R. Length control of the metaphase spindle. Curr Biol. 2005;15:1979-88 pubmed..sliding forces between spindle microtubules (Kinesin-5, Kinesin-14, dynein), promote microtubule polymerization (EB1, Mast/Orbit [CLASP], Minispindles [Dis1/XMAP215/TOG]) or depolymerization (Kinesin-8, Kinesin-13), or mediate ..
- Rogers S, Rogers G, Sharp D, Vale R. Drosophila EB1 is important for proper assembly, dynamics, and positioning of the mitotic spindle. J Cell Biol. 2002;158:873-84 pubmedb>EB1 is an evolutionarily conserved protein that localizes to the plus ends of growing microtubules...
- Rogers S, Wiedemann U, Hacker U, Turck C, Vale R. Drosophila RhoGEF2 associates with microtubule plus ends in an EB1-dependent manner. Curr Biol. 2004;14:1827-33 pubmed..the cell cortex on the tips of growing microtubules by interaction with the microtubule plus-end tracking protein EB1. The upstream activator Concertina, in its GTP but not GDP bound form, dissociates DRhoGEF2 from microtubule tips ..
- Alves Silva J, SÃ¡nchez Soriano N, Beaven R, Klein M, Parkin J, Millard T, et al. Spectraplakins promote microtubule-mediated axonal growth by functioning as structural microtubule-associated proteins and EB1-dependent +TIPs (tip interacting proteins). J Neurosci. 2012;32:9143-58 pubmed publisher..Here we show that axonal growth-promoting roles of Shot require interaction with EB1 (End binding protein) at polymerizing plus ends of microtubules...
- Dzhindzhev N, Rogers S, Vale R, Ohkura H. Distinct mechanisms govern the localisation of Drosophila CLIP-190 to unattached kinetochores and microtubule plus-ends. J Cell Sci. 2005;118:3781-90 pubmed..Another microtubule plus-end tracking protein, EB1, directly interacts with the CAP-Gly domain of CLIP-190 and is required to localise CLIP-190 at microtubule plus-..
- Lu B, Roegiers F, Jan L, Jan Y. Adherens junctions inhibit asymmetric division in the Drosophila epithelium. Nature. 2001;409:522-5 pubmed..suppressor protein is recruited to adherens junctions, and demonstrate that both APC and microtubule-associated EB1 homologues are required for the symmetric epithelial division along the planar axis...
- Shimada Y, Yonemura S, Ohkura H, Strutt D, Uemura T. Polarized transport of Frizzled along the planar microtubule arrays in Drosophila wing epithelium. Dev Cell. 2006;10:209-22 pubmed..Furthermore, there appeared to be a bias in the P-D MTs, with slightly more plus ends oriented distally. The hypothesis of polarized vesicular trafficking of Fz is discussed. ..
- Maiato H, Khodjakov A, Rieder C. Drosophila CLASP is required for the incorporation of microtubule subunits into fluxing kinetochore fibres. Nat Cell Biol. 2005;7:42-7 pubmed
- Poulton J, Mu F, Roberts D, Peifer M. APC2 and Axin promote mitotic fidelity by facilitating centrosome separation and cytoskeletal regulation. Development. 2013;140:4226-36 pubmed publisher..Our in vivo data demonstrate that APC2 protects genome stability by modulating mitotic fidelity through regulation of the cytoskeleton. ..
- Pope K, Harris T. Control of cell flattening and junctional remodeling during squamous epithelial morphogenesis in Drosophila. Development. 2008;135:2227-38 pubmed publisher..Genetic analysis revealed that Myosin II and Bazooka cooperate to properly position adherens junctions. These results identify a specific cellular mechanism of squamous tissue morphogenesis and molecular interactions involved. ..
- Szczęsna E, Kasprzak A. Insights into the process of EB1-dependent tip-tracking of kinesin-14 Ncd. The role of the microtubule. Eur J Cell Biol. 2016;95:521-530 pubmed publisher..The motor protein Ncd, a member of the kinesin-14 family, interacts with EB1 protein and becomes a non-autonomous tip-tracker...
- Wang S, Reuveny A, Volk T. Nesprin provides elastic properties to muscle nuclei by cooperating with spectraplakin and EB1. J Cell Biol. 2015;209:529-38 pubmed publisher..nesprin) and rigidity provided by a perinuclear network of microtubules stabilized by Shot (spectraplakin) and EB1. Together, they form a flexible perinuclear shield that protects myonuclei from intrinsic or extrinsic forces...
- Bienz M. The subcellular destinations of APC proteins. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol. 2002;3:328-38 pubmed..These destinations have prompted the discovery of new functions for the APC proteins, and this multitasking of APC might explain why its loss often leads to cancer. ..
- Sanghavi P, Liu G, Veeranan Karmegam R, Navarro C, Gonsalvez G. Multiple Roles for Egalitarian in Polarization of the Drosophila Egg Chamber. Genetics. 2016;203:415-32 pubmed publisher..Finally, we demonstrate that in midstage egg chambers, Egl does not appear to be required for microtubule organization, but rather for the correct spatial localization of oskar, bicoid, and gurken mRNAs. ..
- Rao K, Stone M, Weiner A, Gheres K, Zhou C, Deitcher D, et al. Spastin, atlastin, and ER relocalization are involved in axon but not dendrite regeneration. Mol Biol Cell. 2016;27:3245-3256 pubmed..We propose that the HSP proteins spastin and atlastin promote axon regeneration by coordinating concentration of the ER and microtubules at the growing axon tip. ..
- Meireles A, Dzhindzhev N, Ohkura H. Kebab: kinetochore and EB1 associated basic protein that dynamically changes its localisation during Drosophila mitosis. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e24174 pubmed publisher..Recent studies revealed that EB1 is the central regulator for microtubule plus end tracking proteins by recruiting them to microtubule plus ends ..
- Meghana C, Ramdas N, Hameed F, Rao M, Shivashankar G, Narasimha M. Integrin adhesion drives the emergent polarization of active cytoskeletal stresses to pattern cell delamination. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:9107-12 pubmed publisher..We suggest that differential contributions of adhesion, cytoskeletal, and external stresses must underlie differences in spatial pattern. ..
- Nashchekin D, Fernandes A, St Johnston D. Patronin/Shot Cortical Foci Assemble the Noncentrosomal Microtubule Array that Specifies the Drosophila Anterior-Posterior Axis. Dev Cell. 2016;38:61-72 pubmed publisher..Thus, Shot/Patronin ncMTOCs may provide a general mechanism for organizing noncentrosomal microtubules in differentiated cells. ..
- Melkov A, Simchoni Y, Alcalay Y, Abdu U. Dynamic microtubule organization and mitochondrial transport are regulated by distinct Kinesin-1 pathways. Biol Open. 2015;4:1696-706 pubmed publisher..When following dynamic MT polymerization via the use of GFP-tagged end-binding protein 1 (EB1), it was noted that at Khc and Klc mutant bristle tips, dynamic MTs significantly deviated from the bristle ..
- Liu T, Rohn J, Picone R, Kunda P, Baum B. Tao-1 is a negative regulator of microtubule plus-end growth. J Cell Sci. 2010;123:2708-16 pubmed publisher..These data reveal a role for Tao-1 in controlling the dynamic interplay between microtubule plus ends and the actin cortex in the regulation of cell form. ..
- Cane S, Ye A, Luks Morgan S, Maresca T. Elevated polar ejection forces stabilize kinetochore-microtubule attachments. J Cell Biol. 2013;200:203-18 pubmed publisher..Thus, kt-MT attachment stability is modulated by PEFs, which can be generated by distinct force-producing interactions between chromosomes and dynamic spindle microtubules...
- Hampoelz B, Azou Gros Y, Fabre R, Markova O, Puech P, Lecuit T. Microtubule-induced nuclear envelope fluctuations control chromatin dynamics in Drosophila embryos. Development. 2011;138:3377-86 pubmed publisher..Thus, the NE is a dynamic organelle, fluctuations of which increase chromatin dynamics. We propose that such mechanical regulation of chromatin dynamics by MTs might be important for gene regulation...
- Yang N, Inaki M, Cliffe A, Rørth P. Microtubules and Lis-1/NudE/dynein regulate invasive cell-on-cell migration in Drosophila. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e40632 pubmed publisher..Spatial regulation of cell-cell adhesion may be a common theme, consistent with observing both cell autonomous and non-autonomous requirements in both systems. ..
- Elhanany Tamir H, Yu Y, Shnayder M, Jain A, WELTE M, Volk T. Organelle positioning in muscles requires cooperation between two KASH proteins and microtubules. J Cell Biol. 2012;198:833-46 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results describe a novel mechanism of nuclear spacing in striated muscles controlled by the cooperative activity of MSP-300, Klar, and astral MTs, and demonstrate its physiological significance. ..
- Odde D. Mitotic spindle: disturbing a subtle balance. Curr Biol. 2005;15:R956-9 pubmed
- Song Y, Ori McKenney K, Zheng Y, Han C, Jan L, Jan Y. Regeneration of Drosophila sensory neuron axons and dendrites is regulated by the Akt pathway involving Pten and microRNA bantam. Genes Dev. 2012;26:1612-25 pubmed publisher..We thus established an important new model system--the fly da neuron regeneration model that resembles the mammalian injury model--with which to study and gain novel insights into the regeneration machinery. ..
- Weiner A, Lanz M, Goetschius D, Hancock W, Rolls M. Kinesin-2 and Apc function at dendrite branch points to resolve microtubule collisions. Cytoskeleton (Hoboken). 2016;73:35-44 pubmed publisherIn Drosophila neurons, kinesin-2, EB1 and Apc are required to maintain minus-end-out dendrite microtubule polarity, and we previously proposed they steer microtubules at branch points...
- Zhou W, Chang J, Wang X, Savelieff M, Zhao Y, Ke S, et al. GM130 is required for compartmental organization of dendritic golgi outposts. Curr Biol. 2014;24:1227-33 pubmed publisher..Our study provides insights into the structure and function of dendritic Golgi outposts as well as the regulation of compartmental organization of Golgi in general. ..
- Webb R, Zhou M, McCartney B. A novel role for an APC2-Diaphanous complex in regulating actin organization in Drosophila. Development. 2009;136:1283-93 pubmed publisher..Thus, an APC2-DIA complex appears crucial for actin furrow extension in the syncytial embryo. Interestingly, EB1, a microtubule +TIP and reported partner of vertebrate APC and DIA1, may not function with APC2 and DIA in furrow ..
- Fernandez N, Chang Q, Buster D, Sharp D, Ma A. A model for the regulatory network controlling the dynamics of kinetochore microtubule plus-ends and poleward flux in metaphase. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:7846-51 pubmed publisher..The model also provides a simple and robust physical mechanism through which the regulatory networks at kinetochore microtubule plus- and minus-ends could communicate. ..
- Vazquez Pianzola P, Adam J, Haldemann D, Hain D, Urlaub H, Suter B. Clathrin heavy chain plays multiple roles in polarizing the Drosophila oocyte downstream of Bic-D. Development. 2014;141:1915-26 pubmed publisher..Moreover, we also uncovered a novel, presumably endocytosis-independent, role of Chc in the establishment of microtubule polarity in stage 6 oocytes. ..
- Valakh V, Walker L, Skeath J, DiAntonio A. Loss of the spectraplakin short stop activates the DLK injury response pathway in Drosophila. J Neurosci. 2013;33:17863-73 pubmed publisher..These findings support the model that DLK is activated by cytoskeletal instability, which is a shared feature of both spectraplakin mutants and injured axons...
- Dix C, Soundararajan H, Dzhindzhev N, Begum F, Suter B, Ohkura H, et al. Lissencephaly-1 promotes the recruitment of dynein and dynactin to transported mRNAs. J Cell Biol. 2013;202:479-94 pubmed publisher..Our data therefore reveal a critical role for Lis1 within the mRNA localization machinery and suggest a model in which Lis1 facilitates motor complex association with cargos by promoting the interaction of dynein with dynactin. ..
- Li W, Moriwaki T, Tani T, Watanabe T, Kaibuchi K, Goshima G. Reconstitution of dynamic microtubules with Drosophila XMAP215, EB1, and Sentin. J Cell Biol. 2012;199:849-62 pubmed publisher..In Drosophila melanogaster S2 cells, three MT tip-localizing proteins, Msps/XMAP215, EB1, and Sentin (an EB1 cargo protein), have been identified as being critical for accelerating MT growth and promoting ..
- Goulas S, Conder R, Knoblich J. The Par complex and integrins direct asymmetric cell division in adult intestinal stem cells. Cell Stem Cell. 2012;11:529-40 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate that mechanisms for intrinsically asymmetric cell division can be adapted to allow for the flexibility in lineage decisions that is required in adult stem cells. ..
- Abreu Blanco M, Verboon J, Liu R, Watts J, Parkhurst S. Drosophila embryos close epithelial wounds using a combination of cellular protrusions and an actomyosin purse string. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:5984-97 pubmed publisher..Our results show that embryonic epithelial wound repair is mediated by two simultaneously acting mechanisms: crawling driven by cellular protrusions and actomyosin ring contraction along the leading edge of the wound. ..
- Perkins A, Tanentzapf G. An ongoing role for structural sarcomeric components in maintaining Drosophila melanogaster muscle function and structure. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e99362 pubmed publisher..Our results provide in vivo evidence of adult muscle protein turnover and uncover specific functional defects associated with reduced expression of a subset of cytoskeletal proteins in the adult animal. ..
- Buttrick G, Beaumont L, Leitch J, Yau C, Hughes J, Wakefield J. Akt regulates centrosome migration and spindle orientation in the early Drosophila melanogaster embryo. J Cell Biol. 2008;180:537-48 pubmed publisher..cortical localizations of the adenomatosis polyposis coli (APC)-related protein APC2/E-APC and the MT + Tip protein EB1. We also show that reduced levels of Akt result in mislocalization of APC2 in postcellularized embryonic mitoses ..
- Stone M, Albertson R, Chen L, Rolls M. Dendrite injury triggers DLK-independent regeneration. Cell Rep. 2014;6:247-53 pubmed publisher..Moreover, this MAP kinase pathway was not activated by injury to dendrites. Thus, neurons respond to dendrite damage and initiate regeneration without using the conserved DLK cascade that triggers axon regeneration. ..