Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: eater
Alias: C901-like, CG6124, CT19227, Dmel\CG6124, Eater, eater, CG6124-PC, eater-PC
Species: fruit fly
- Erturk Hasdemir D, Silverman N. Eater: a big bite into phagocytosis. Cell. 2005;123:190-2 pubmed..In this issue of Cell, Kocks et al. (2005) demonstrate that Eater, a scavenger receptor, plays an important role in the recognition and phagocytosis of bacteria in the fruit fly ..
- Kroeger P, Tokusumi T, Schulz R. Transcriptional regulation of eater gene expression in Drosophila blood cells. Genesis. 2012;50:41-9 pubmed publisherb>Eater is a transmembrane protein that mediates phagocytosis in Drosophila. eater was identified in a microarray analysis of genes downregulated in S2 cells, in which Serpent had been knocked down by RNAi...
- Chung Y, Kocks C. Recognition of pathogenic microbes by the Drosophila phagocytic pattern recognition receptor Eater. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:26524-32 pubmed publisher..In the fruit fly Drosophila melanogaster, the EGF-like repeat containing scavenger receptor Eater is expressed by phagocytes and is required to survive infections with gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria...
- Stofanko M, Kwon S, Badenhorst P. Lineage tracing of lamellocytes demonstrates Drosophila macrophage plasticity. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e14051 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data suggest that lamellocytes arise from plasmatocytes and that plasmatocytes may be inherently plastic, possessing the ability to differentiate further into lamellocytes upon appropriate challenge. ..
- Charroux B, Royet J. Elimination of plasmatocytes by targeted apoptosis reveals their role in multiple aspects of the Drosophila immune response. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:9797-802 pubmed publisher..Finally, we show that plasmatocytes are involved in immune surveillance during pupal development, because they prevent bacterial infection that causes pupal lethality...
- Chamilos G, Lewis R, Hu J, Xiao L, Zal T, Gilliet M, et al. Drosophila melanogaster as a model host to dissect the immunopathogenesis of zygomycosis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:9367-72 pubmed publisher..fumigatus. Furthermore, phagocytosis-defective eater mutant flies displayed increased susceptibility to Zygomycetes infection...
- Kurucz E, Márkus R, Zsámboki J, Folkl Medzihradszky K, Darula Z, Vilmos P, et al. Nimrod, a putative phagocytosis receptor with EGF repeats in Drosophila plasmatocytes. Curr Biol. 2007;17:649-54 pubmed..The Nimrod proteins are related to other putative phagocytosis receptors such as Eater and Draper from D. melanogaster and CED-1 from C. elegans...
- Ulvila J, Parikka M, Kleino A, Sormunen R, Ezekowitz R, Kocks C, et al. Double-stranded RNA is internalized by scavenger receptor-mediated endocytosis in Drosophila S2 cells. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:14370-5 pubmed..Indeed, using a candidate gene approach, we identified two Drosophila scavenger receptors, SR-CI and Eater, which together accounted for more than 90% of the dsRNA uptake into S2 cells...
- Kocks C, Cho J, Nehme N, Ulvila J, Pearson A, Meister M, et al. Eater, a transmembrane protein mediating phagocytosis of bacterial pathogens in Drosophila. Cell. 2005;123:335-46 pubmed..We have identified a predicted transmembrane protein, Eater, which is involved in phagocytosis in Drosophila...
- Tokusumi T, Shoue D, Tokusumi Y, Stoller J, Schulz R. New hemocyte-specific enhancer-reporter transgenes for the analysis of hematopoiesis in Drosophila. Genesis. 2009;47:771-4 pubmed publisher..While this work focused on the hematopoietic process, these new vectors can be used to mark multiple cell types or trace complex cell lineages during any chosen aspect of Drosophila development...
- Dauwalder B, Tsujimoto S, Moss J, Mattox W. The Drosophila takeout gene is regulated by the somatic sex-determination pathway and affects male courtship behavior. Genes Dev. 2002;16:2879-92 pubmed..Expression analysis of a subset of these genes suggests that the takeout gene family encodes multiple factors with sex-specific functions. ..
- Ye Y, McGraw E. Adult Drosophila melanogaster evolved for antibacterial defense invest in infection-induced expression of both humoral and cellular immunity genes. BMC Res Notes. 2011;4:305 pubmed publisher..The similarity in fold change increase across all immunity genes may suggest a shared mechanism for the evolution of increased transcription in small, discrete units such as duplication of cis-regulatory elements. ..
- Ayyaz A, Giammarinaro P, Liegeois S, Lestradet M, Ferrandon D. A negative role for MyD88 in the resistance to starvation as revealed in an intestinal infection of Drosophila melanogaster with the Gram-positive bacterium Staphylococcus xylosus. Immunobiology. 2013;218:635-44 pubmed publisher..Thus, we have uncovered a novel function of MyD88 in the regulation of metabolism that appears to be independent of its known roles in immunity and development. ..
- Ulvila J, Vanha aho L, Kleino A, Vähä Mäkilä M, Vuoksio M, Eskelinen S, et al. Cofilin regulator 14-3-3zeta is an evolutionarily conserved protein required for phagocytosis and microbial resistance. J Leukoc Biol. 2011;89:649-59 pubmed publisher..In Drosophila and zebrafish infection models, 14-3-3? was required for resistance against Staphylococcus aureus. We conclude that 14-3-3? is essential for phagocytosis and microbial resistance in insects and vertebrates. ..
- Perrimon N, Mathey Prevot B. Applications of high-throughput RNA interference screens to problems in cell and developmental biology. Genetics. 2007;175:7-16 pubmed..Finally, we discuss emerging technological advances that will extend RNAi-based screening methods. ..
- Rocha J, Korolchuk V, Robinson I, O Kane C. A phagocytic route for uptake of double-stranded RNA in RNAi. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e19087 pubmed publisher..We could separate this phagocytic uptake route from that for RNAi induced by naked dsRNA. Therefore, phagocytic uptake of dsRNA offers a potential route for systemic spread of RNAi. ..
- Horn L, Leips J, Starz Gaiano M. Phagocytic ability declines with age in adult Drosophila hemocytes. Aging Cell. 2014;13:719-28 pubmed publisher..Our results have broad implications for understanding how the breakdown in cellular processes influences immune function with age. ..
- Hamilos G, Samonis G, Kontoyiannis D. Recent Advances in the Use of Drosophila melanogaster as a Model to Study Immunopathogenesis of Medically Important Filamentous Fungi. Int J Microbiol. 2012;2012:583792 pubmed publisher..In view of recent advances in Drosophila genetics, fruit flies will become an invaluable surrogate model to study immunopathogenesis of fungal diseases. ..
- Kroeger P, Shoue D, Mezzacappa F, Gerlach G, Wingert R, Schulz R. Knockdown of SCF(Skp2) function causes double-parked accumulation in the nucleus and DNA re-replication in Drosophila plasmatocytes. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e79019 pubmed publisher..b>eater-Gal4;UAS-GFP flies were crossed to UAS-RNAi lines to knockdown the function of all known SCF complex members in a ..
- Douglas A, Bouvaine S, Russell R. How the insect immune system interacts with an obligate symbiotic bacterium. Proc Biol Sci. 2011;278:333-8 pubmed publisher..They support the proposed contribution of the Buchnera symbiosis to the evolution of the apparently reduced immune function in the aphid host. ..
- Somogyi K, Sipos B, Penzes Z, Ando I. A conserved gene cluster as a putative functional unit in insect innate immunity. FEBS Lett. 2010;584:4375-8 pubmed publisher..This cluster has been a part of the Arthropod genomes for about 300-350 million years. The available data suggest that the Nimrod cluster is a functional module of the insect innate immune response. ..
- Vanha aho L, Kleino A, Kaustio M, Ulvila J, Wilke B, Hultmark D, et al. Functional characterization of the infection-inducible peptide Edin in Drosophila melanogaster. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e37153 pubmed publisher..faecalis infection via an uncharacterized mechanism. Further studies are still required to elucidate the exact role of Edin in the Drosophila immune response. ..
- Anderl I, Vesala L, Ihalainen T, Vanha aho L, Ando I, Ramet M, et al. Transdifferentiation and Proliferation in Two Distinct Hemocyte Lineages in Drosophila melanogaster Larvae after Wasp Infection. PLoS Pathog. 2016;12:e1005746 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate that lamellocyte differentiation upon wasp parasitism is a plastic and dynamic process. Flow cytometry with in vivo hemocyte reporters can be used to study this phenomenon in detail. ..
- ..The phagocytosis receptor Eater is expressed exclusively on Drosophila phagocytes and is required for the survival of bacterial infections...
- Igboin C, Tordoff K, Moeschberger M, Griffen A, Leys E. Porphyromonas gingivalis-host interactions in a Drosophila melanogaster model. Infect Immun. 2011;79:449-58 pubmed publisher..gingivalis infection, while the scavenger receptors Eater and Croquemort played no roles in the response to P. gingivalis infection...
- Christofi T, Apidianakis Y. Drosophila immune priming against Pseudomonas aeruginosa is short-lasting and depends on cellular and humoral immunity. F1000Res. 2013;2:76 pubmed publisher..Moreover, not only the cellular, but also the systemic NF-?B-mediated immune responses contribute to immune priming. Thus each microbe might elicit different mechanisms of immune priming that may or may not last for long. ..
- Bretscher A, Honti V, Binggeli O, Burri O, Poidevin M, Kurucz Ã, et al. The Nimrod transmembrane receptor Eater is required for hemocyte attachment to the sessile compartment in Drosophila melanogaster. Biol Open. 2015;4:355-63 pubmed publisherb>Eater is an EGF-like repeat transmembrane receptor of the Nimrod family and is expressed in Drosophila hemocytes. Eater was initially identified for its role in phagocytosis of both Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteria...