Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Duox
Description: Dual oxidase
Alias: CG3131, DUOX, Dmel\CG3131, dDuox, dduox, duox, l(2)23Bb, dual oxidase, CG3131-PB, CG3131-PC, Duox-PB, Duox-PC, NADPH dual oxidase, curly
Species: fruit fly
- Buchon N, Broderick N, Chakrabarti S, Lemaitre B. Invasive and indigenous microbiota impact intestinal stem cell activity through multiple pathways in Drosophila. Genes Dev. 2009;23:2333-44 pubmed publisher..Altogether, these results indicate that gut homeostasis is achieved by a complex interregulation of the immune response, gut microbiota, and stem cell activity...
- Ryu J, Ha E, Oh C, Seol J, Brey P, Jin I, et al. An essential complementary role of NF-kappaB pathway to microbicidal oxidants in Drosophila gut immunity. EMBO J. 2006;25:3693-701 pubmed..This system provides the Drosophila gut immunity the versatility necessary to manage sporadic invasion of virulent pathogens that somehow counteract or evade the ROS-dependent immunity. ..
- Greenspan R. The varieties of selectional experience in behavioral genetics. J Neurogenet. 2003;17:241-70 pubmed
- Pavelka J, Kulikov A, Marec F. Suppression of the Drosophila Curly mutation by fluorescent light. Hereditas. 1996;124:191-7 pubmed
- Jasper H. Exploring the physiology and pathology of aging in the intestine of Drosophila melanogaster. Invertebr Reprod Dev. 2015;59:51-58 pubmed..Here, I review recent studies exploring age-related changes in the fly intestine, and their insight into the regulation of health and lifespan of the animal. ..
- Chakrabarti S, Poidevin M, Lemaitre B. The Drosophila MAPK p38c regulates oxidative stress and lipid homeostasis in the intestine. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004659 pubmed publisher..of Reactive Oxygen Species (ROS) in the gut of p38c mutants, whereby the transcription of the ROS-producing enzyme Duox is reduced in p38c mutant flies...
- Wolfner M, Goldberg M. Harnessing the power of Drosophila genetics. Methods Cell Biol. 1994;44:33-80 pubmed
- Kim S, Lee W. Role of DUOX in gut inflammation: lessons from Drosophila model of gut-microbiota interactions. Front Cell Infect Microbiol. 2014;3:116 pubmed publisher..that occur between gut-associated bacteria and host gut immunity, particularly the bacterial-induced intestinal dual oxidase (DUOX) system...
- Wang Z, Hang S, Purdy A, Watnick P. Mutations in the IMD pathway and mustard counter Vibrio cholerae suppression of intestinal stem cell division in Drosophila. MBio. 2013;4:e00337-13 pubmed publisher..cholerae and that accelerated epithelial regeneration protects the host against V. cholerae. Extension of these findings to mammals awaits the development of an adequate experimental model. ..
- Stramer B, Dionne M. Unraveling tissue repair immune responses in flies. Semin Immunol. 2014;26:310-4 pubmed publisher..What has emerged from this system are a host of both local acting signals, and surprisingly, more systemic tissue repair immune responses. ..
- DiAntonio A, Parfitt K, Schwarz T. Synaptic transmission persists in synaptotagmin mutants of Drosophila. Cell. 1993;73:1281-90 pubmed..The lethality of synaptotagmin in late first instar larvae is probably due to a perturbation of transmission that leaves the main apparatus for vesicle docking and fusion intact. ..
- Fogarty C, Diwanji N, Lindblad J, Tare M, Amcheslavsky A, Makhijani K, et al. Extracellular Reactive Oxygen Species Drive Apoptosis-Induced Proliferation via Drosophila Macrophages. Curr Biol. 2016;26:575-84 pubmed publisher..This is mediated by extracellular reactive oxygen species (ROSs) generated by the NADPH oxidase Duox in epithelial disc cells...
- Lee K, Kim B, Bhin J, Kim D, You H, Kim E, et al. Bacterial uracil modulates Drosophila DUOX-dependent gut immunity via Hedgehog-induced signaling endosomes. Cell Host Microbe. 2015;17:191-204 pubmed publisher..in Drosophila have demonstrated that generation of microbicidal reactive oxygen species (ROS) through the NADPH dual oxidase (DUOX) is a first line of defense in the gut epithelia...
- Ward L. The Genetics of Curly Wing in Drosophila. Another Case of Balanced Lethal Factors. Genetics. 1923;8:276-300 pubmed
- El Chamy L, Matt N, Ntwasa M, Reichhart J. The multilayered innate immune defense of the gut. Biomed J. 2015;38:276-84 pubmed publisher..Accordingly, the Drosophila gut innate immune response is tightly regulated to maintain the endogenous microbiota, while preventing infections by pathogenic microorganisms. ..
- Fan X, Liang Q, Lian T, Wu Q, Gaur U, Li D, et al. Rapamycin preserves gut homeostasis during Drosophila aging. Oncotarget. 2015;6:35274-83 pubmed publisher..These results will further explain the mechanism of healthspan and lifespan extension by rapamycin in Drosophila. ..
- Regan J, Khericha M, Dobson A, Bolukbasi E, Rattanavirotkul N, Partridge L. Sex difference in pathology of the ageing gut mediates the greater response of female lifespan to dietary restriction. elife. 2016;5:e10956 pubmed publisher..By genetic sex reversal of a specific gut region, we induced female-like aging pathologies in males, associated with decreased lifespan, but also with a greater increase in longevity in response to dietary restriction. ..
- You H, Lee W, Lee W. Homeostasis between gut-associated microorganisms and the immune system in Drosophila. Curr Opin Immunol. 2014;30:48-53 pubmed publisher..A deeper understanding of the role of uracil in Drosophila immunity will provide additional insight into the molecular mechanisms underlying host-microbe symbiosis and dysbiosis. ..
- Kidwell J. The effective lethal phase of the curly mutant in Drosophila melanogaster. J Hered. 1972;63:100 pubmed
- Chen X, Lee K, Ha E, Lee K, Seo Y, Choi H, et al. A specific and sensitive method for detection of hypochlorous acid for the imaging of microbe-induced HOCl production. Chem Commun (Camb). 2011;47:4373-5 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we demonstrate dual oxidase (DUOX)-mediated HOCl generation in the mucosa of live animals providing a novel insight into mucosal innate ..
- Hartenstein K, Sinha P, Mishra A, Schenkel H, Torok I, Mechler B. The congested-like tracheae gene of Drosophila melanogaster encodes a member of the mitochondrial carrier family required for gas-filling of the tracheal system and expansion of the wings after eclosion. Genetics. 1997;147:1755-68 pubmed
- Wright T, Hodgetts R, Sherald A. The genetics of dopa decarboxylase in Drosophila melanogaster. I. Isolation and characterization of deficiencies that delete the dopa-decarboxylase-dosage-sensitive region and the alpha-methyl-dopa-hypersensitive locus. Genetics. 1976;84:267-85 pubmed..These deficiencies permit a localization of both the dopa-decarboxylase-dosage-sensitive region and the alpha-methyl-dopa-hypersensitive locus, l(2) amd, to the same region, 37B10-37C7. ..
- Ruiz Dubreuil D, Del Solar E. A diallel analysis of gregarious oviposition in Drosophila melanogaster. Heredity (Edinb). 1993;70 ( Pt 3):281-4 pubmed..Some maternal effect may also be present. This genetical architecture is in line with previous studies of selection and hybridization of the lines selected for high and low gregarious oviposition in Drosophila melanogaster females. ..
- Littleton J, Bellen H. Genetic and phenotypic analysis of thirteen essential genes in cytological interval 22F1-2; 23B1-2 reveals novel genes required for neural development in Drosophila. Genetics. 1994;138:111-23 pubmed..bands and is shown to contain 13 essential complementation groups, including decapentaplegic, synaptotagmin and Curly. Through chemical and P element mutagenesis we have isolated seven new deletions, which combined with previously ..
- Hurd T, Liang F, Lehmann R. Curly Encodes Dual Oxidase, Which Acts with Heme Peroxidase Curly Su to Shape the Adult Drosophila Wing. PLoS Genet. 2015;11:e1005625 pubmed publisher..Here we show that Curly mutations arise in the gene dual oxidase (duox), which encodes a reactive oxygen species (ROS) generating NADPH oxidase...
- Du E, Ahn T, Kwon I, Lee J, Park J, Park S, et al. TrpA1 Regulates Defecation of Food-Borne Pathogens under the Control of the Duox Pathway. PLoS Genet. 2016;12:e1005773 pubmed publisher..In Drosophila melanogaster, dual oxidase (Duox) kills pathogenic microbes by generating the microbicidal reactive oxygen species (ROS), hypochlorous ..
- Spencer F, Hoffmann F, Gelbart W. Decapentaplegic: a gene complex affecting morphogenesis in Drosophila melanogaster. Cell. 1982;28:451-61 pubmed..Many structural similarities exist between the decapentaplegic and bithorax gene complexes. ..
- Ahn H, Lee K, Lee D, Yu K. JNK/FOXO mediated PeroxiredoxinV expression regulates redox homeostasis during Drosophila melanogaster gut infection. Dev Comp Immunol. 2012;38:466-73 pubmed publisher..During bacterial infection in Drosophila melanogaster gut, Dual oxidase (Duox) generates reactive oxygen species (ROS) to fight against the infected microbes...
- Wu S, Liao C, Pan R, Juang J. Infection-induced intestinal oxidative stress triggers organ-to-organ immunological communication in Drosophila. Cell Host Microbe. 2012;11:410-7 pubmed publisher..Thus, intestinal ROS signaling plays an important role in initiating gut-to-fat body immunological communication in Drosophila. ..
- Guntur A, Gu P, Takle K, Chen J, Xiang Y, Yang C. Drosophila TRPA1 isoforms detect UV light via photochemical production of H2O2. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015;112:E5753-61 pubmed publisher..We speculate that UV sensitivity conferred by these isoforms in CC cells may allow young larvae to activate stress response--a function of CC cells--when they encounter strong UV, an aversive stimulus for young larvae. ..