Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Dsp1
Description: Dorsal switch protein 1
Alias: CG12223, DSP1, Dmel\CG12223, Hmg14B, Hmg14D, Ssrp2, dsp1, hmg, ssrp2, dorsal switch protein 1, CG12223-PA, CG12223-PB, CG12223-PC, CG12223-PD, CG12223-PE, CG12223-PF, CG12223-PG, Dsp1-PA, Dsp1-PB, Dsp1-PC, Dsp1-PD, Dsp1-PE, Dsp1-PF, Dsp1-PG, Hmg14B, dorsal switch protein-1, structure specific recognition protein 2
Species: fruit fly
- Schuettengruber B, Ganapathi M, Leblanc B, Portoso M, Jaschek R, Tolhuis B, et al. Functional anatomy of polycomb and trithorax chromatin landscapes in Drosophila embryos. PLoS Biol. 2009;7:e13 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, several DNA sequence features discriminate between PcG- and TRX-N-bound regions, indicating that underlying DNA sequence contains critical information to drive PREs and TREs towards silencing or activation. ..
- Salvaing J, Decoville M, Mouchel Vielh E, Bussiere M, Daulny A, Boldyreva L, et al. Corto and DSP1 interact and bind to a maintenance element of the Scr Hox gene: understanding the role of Enhancers of trithorax and Polycomb. BMC Biol. 2006;4:9 pubmed..Our previous work has shown that corto, which codes for a chromodomain protein, and dsp1, which codes for an HMGB protein, belong to a class of genes called the Enhancers of trithorax and Polycomb (ETP) ..
- Bianchi M, Agresti A. HMG proteins: dynamic players in gene regulation and differentiation. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 2005;15:496-506 pubmed..Moreover, they contribute to the fine tuning of transcription in response to rapid environmental changes. They do so by interacting with nucleosomes, transcription factors, nucleosome-remodelling machines, and with histone H1. ..
- Lence T, Akhtar J, Bayer M, Schmid K, Spindler L, Ho C, et al. m6A modulates neuronal functions and sex determination in Drosophila. Nature. 2016;540:242-247 pubmed publisher..Altogether, our work substantially extends our knowledge of m6A biology, demonstrating the crucial functions of this modification in fundamental processes within the context of the whole animal. ..
- Liu D, Shaukat Z, Saint R, Gregory S. Chromosomal instability triggers cell death via local signalling through the innate immune receptor Toll. Oncotarget. 2015;6:38552-65 pubmed publisher..This pathway also activates Mmp1, which recruits hemocytes to the CIN tissue to provide local amplification of the immune response that is needed for effective elimination of CIN cells. ..
- Lamiable O, Rabhi M, Peronnet F, Locker D, Decoville M. Rm62, a DEAD-box RNA helicase, complexes with DSP1 in Drosophila embryos. Genesis. 2010;48:244-53 pubmed publisher..We previously identified an HMGB-like protein, DSP1 (Dorsal Switch Protein 1), which was classified as an ETP...
- Cardoso J, Pinto V, Vieira F, Clark M, Power D. Evolution of secretin family GPCR members in the metazoa. BMC Evol Biol. 2006;6:108 pubmed..In this study a comprehensive description of family 2 GPCR evolution is given based on in silico and expression analyses of the invertebrate receptor genes...
- Rørth P, Szabo K, Bailey A, Laverty T, Rehm J, Rubin G, et al. Systematic gain-of-function genetics in Drosophila. Development. 1998;125:1049-57 pubmed..These studies demonstrate the ability of the modular misexpression system to identify developmentally important genes and suggest that it will be generally useful for genetic interaction screens. ..
- Ip Y, Hemavathy K. Drosophila development. Delimiting patterns by repression. Curr Biol. 1997;7:R216-8 pubmed..Recent studies on transcriptional repressors show how they delimit the gene expression patterns to ensure normal development. ..
- Sessa L, Bianchi M. The evolution of High Mobility Group Box (HMGB) chromatin proteins in multicellular animals. Gene. 2007;387:133-40 pubmedMammalian HMGB proteins are abundant chromatin components, and are characterized by the presence of 2 HMG-box domains and an acidic tail...
- Canaple L, Decoville M, Leng M, Locker D. The Drosophila DSP1 gene encoding an HMG 1-like protein: genomic organization, evolutionary conservation and expression. Gene. 1997;184:285-90 pubmedThe gene that encodes the dorsal switch protein (DSP1) has been isolated from a Drosophila melanogaster cosmid library. It is organized into seven exons and six introns...
- Ragab A, Thompson E, Travers A. High mobility group proteins HMGD and HMGZ interact genetically with the Brahma chromatin remodeling complex in Drosophila. Genetics. 2006;172:1069-78 pubmedMany pleiotropic roles have been ascribed to small abundant HMG-Box (HMGB) proteins in higher eukaryotes but their precise function has remained enigmatic...
- Soullier S, Jay P, Poulat F, Vanacker J, Berta P, Laudet V. Diversification pattern of the HMG and SOX family members during evolution. J Mol Evol. 1999;48:517-27 pubmedFrom a database containing the published HMG protein sequences, we constructed an alignment of the HMG box functional domain based on sequence identity...
- Qi M, Tagawa K, Enokido Y, Yoshimura N, Wada Y, Watase K, et al. Proteome analysis of soluble nuclear proteins reveals that HMGB1/2 suppress genotoxic stress in polyglutamine diseases. Nat Cell Biol. 2007;9:402-14 pubmed..Furthermore, HMGBs repressed genotoxic stress signals induced by mutant Htt or transcriptional repression. Thus, HMGBs may be critical regulators of polyQ disease pathology and could be targets for therapy development. ..
- Brickman J, Adam M, Ptashne M. Interactions between an HMG-1 protein and members of the Rel family. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:10679-83 pubmedWe show that the Drosophila protein DSP1, an HMG-1/2-like protein, binds DNA highly cooperatively with three members of the Rel family of transcriptional regulators (NF-kappaB, the p50 subunit of NF-kappaB, and the Rel domain of Dorsal)...
- Déjardin J, Cavalli G. [Recruitment of Drosophila Polycomb group proteins to chromatin by DSP1]. Med Sci (Paris). 2005;21:689-91 pubmed
- Huen D, Russell S. On the use of resampling tests for evaluating statistical significance of binding-site co-occurrence. BMC Bioinformatics. 2010;11:359 pubmed publisher..We believe it can be usefully applied to data from high-throughput genome-wide techniques such as ChIP-chip or DamID. The Cooccur package, which implements our approach, accompanies this paper. ..
- Martin D, Daulny A, Decoville M, Locker D. Mutagenesis analysis of the interaction between the dorsal rel homology domain and HMG boxes of DSP1 protein. J Biochem. 2003;134:583-9 pubmedb>DSP1 is an HMG-like protein of Drosophila melanogaster consisting of 386 amino acids with two HMG domains at the C-terminal end. It was shown to interact with Dorsal protein through the HMG domains and to enhance its DNA binding...
- Hauenschild A, Ringrose L, Altmutter C, Paro R, Rehmsmeier M. Evolutionary plasticity of polycomb/trithorax response elements in Drosophila species. PLoS Biol. 2008;6:e261 pubmed publisher..By demonstrating that PRE evolution is not limited to the adaptation of preexisting elements, these findings document a novel dimension of cis-regulatory evolution. ..
- Janke C, Martin D, Giraud Panis M, Decoville M, Locker D. Drosophila DSP1 and rat HMGB1 have equivalent DNA binding properties and share a similar secondary fold. J Biochem. 2003;133:533-9 pubmedThe protein DSP1 belongs to the group of HMG-box proteins, which share the common structural feature of the HMG-box. This approximately 80 amino acid long motif binds DNA via the minor groove...
- DeLotto R, DeLotto Y, Steward R, Lippincott Schwartz J. Nucleocytoplasmic shuttling mediates the dynamic maintenance of nuclear Dorsal levels during Drosophila embryogenesis. Development. 2007;134:4233-41 pubmed..A model is proposed in which the generation and maintenance of the Dorsal gradient is a consequence of an active process involving both restricted long-range diffusion and the balancing of nuclear import with nuclear export. ..
- Islam A, Richter W, Lopez Bigas N, Benevolenskaya E. Selective targeting of histone methylation. Cell Cycle. 2011;10:413-24 pubmed
- Copley R, Totrov M, Linnell J, Field S, Ragoussis J, Udalova I. Functional conservation of Rel binding sites in drosophilid genomes. Genome Res. 2007;17:1327-35 pubmed..We discuss how two types of conservation may contribute to the stabilization and optimization of a functional gene regulatory code in evolution. ..
- Lanzuolo C, Orlando V. Memories from the polycomb group proteins. Annu Rev Genet. 2012;46:561-89 pubmed publisher..In this review, we focus on the multiple modes of action of the PcG complexes and describe their biological roles. ..
- Grossniklaus U, Paro R. Transcriptional silencing by polycomb-group proteins. Cold Spring Harb Perspect Biol. 2014;6:a019331 pubmed publisher..PcG silencing is medically relevant as it is often observed in human disorders, including cancer, and tissue regeneration, which involve the reprogramming of PcG-controlled target genes. ..
- Mosrin Huaman C, Canaple L, Locker D, Decoville M. DSP1 gene of Drosophila melanogaster encodes an HMG-domain protein that plays multiple roles in development. Dev Genet. 1998;23:324-34 pubmedb>DSP1 is an HMG-box containing protein of Drosophila melanogaster which was first identified as a co-repressor of the Dorsal protein...
- Kirov N, Lieberman P, Rushlow C. The transcriptional corepressor DSP1 inhibits activated transcription by disrupting TFIIA-TBP complex formation. EMBO J. 1996;15:7079-87 pubmed..The Dorsal Switch Protein (DSP1) was identified in a genetic screen for activities which convert Dorsal into a transcriptional repressor...
- Schuettengruber B, Oded Elkayam N, Sexton T, Entrevan M, Stern S, Thomas A, et al. Cooperativity, specificity, and evolutionary stability of Polycomb targeting in Drosophila. Cell Rep. 2014;9:219-33 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that cooperative rather than hierarchical interactions among low-affinity sequences, DNA-binding factors, and the Polycomb machinery are giving rise to specific and strongly conserved 3D structures in Drosophila. ..
- Mason Suares H, Tie F, Yan C, Harte P. Polycomb silencing of the Drosophila 4E-BP gene regulates imaginal disc cell growth. Dev Biol. 2013;380:111-24 pubmed publisher..These results thus suggest that PcG proteins can directly modulate cell growth in Drosophila, in part by regulating Thor expression. ..