Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: dpn
Alias: 44C, CG8704, DPN, Dmel\CG8704, Dpn, anon-EST:fe1B12, bHLHe50, deadpan, CG8704-PA, anon-fast-evolving-1B12, dpn-PA
Species: fruit fly
- Boone J, Doe C. Identification of Drosophila type II neuroblast lineages containing transit amplifying ganglion mother cells. Dev Neurobiol. 2008;68:1185-95 pubmed publisher..TA-GMCs differ from canonical GMCs in several ways: each TA-GMC has nuclear Deadpan, cytoplasmic Prospero, forms Prospero crescents at mitosis, and generates up to 10 neurons; canonical GMCs lack ..
- Carney T, Struck A, Doe C. midlife crisis encodes a conserved zinc-finger protein required to maintain neuronal differentiation in Drosophila. Development. 2013;140:4155-64 pubmed publisher..loss of the pro-differentiation transcription factor Prospero, followed by derepression of the neuroblast factors Deadpan, Asense and Cyclin E...
- Cabernard C, Doe C. Apical/basal spindle orientation is required for neuroblast homeostasis and neuronal differentiation in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2009;17:134-41 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the ratio of apical/basal determinants specifies neuroblast/GMC identity, and that apical/basal spindle orientation is required for neuroblast homeostasis and neuronal differentiation. ..
- Bayraktar O, Boone J, Drummond M, Doe C. Drosophila type II neuroblast lineages keep Prospero levels low to generate large clones that contribute to the adult brain central complex. Neural Dev. 2010;5:26 pubmed publisher..In addition, we use 9D11 lineage tracing to show that type II lineages generate both small-field and large-field neurons within the adult central complex, a brain region required for locomotion, flight, and visual pattern memory. ..
- Wang H, Ouyang Y, Somers W, Chia W, Lu B. Polo inhibits progenitor self-renewal and regulates Numb asymmetry by phosphorylating Pon. Nature. 2007;449:96-100 pubmed..Our results reveal a biochemical link between the cell cycle and the asymmetric protein localization machinery, and indicate that Polo can inhibit progenitor self-renewal by regulating the localization and function of Numb. ..
- Lee C, Robinson K, Doe C. Lgl, Pins and aPKC regulate neuroblast self-renewal versus differentiation. Nature. 2006;439:594-8 pubmed..We conclude that cortical aPKC kinase activity is a potent inducer of neuroblast self-renewal. ..
- Berger C, Kannan R, Myneni S, Renner S, Shashidhara L, Technau G. Cell cycle independent role of Cyclin E during neural cell fate specification in Drosophila is mediated by its regulation of Prospero function. Dev Biol. 2010;337:415-24 pubmed publisher..e. asymmetric cell division of NB6-4t. Furthermore our data imply that CycE is required for the maintenance of stem cell identity of most other neuroblasts. ..
- Siegrist S, Haque N, Chen C, Hay B, Hariharan I. Inactivation of both Foxo and reaper promotes long-term adult neurogenesis in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2010;20:643-8 pubmed publisher..Thus, inhibition of the pathways that normally function to eliminate neural stem cells during development enables adult neurogenesis. ..
- Babaoglan A, Housden B, Furriols M, Bray S. Deadpan contributes to the robustness of the notch response. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e75632 pubmed publisher..One member of this family in Drosophila, deadpan (dpn), was originally found to have functions independent of Notch in promoting neural development...
- Chai P, Liu Z, Chia W, Cai Y. Hedgehog signaling acts with the temporal cascade to promote neuroblast cell cycle exit. PLoS Biol. 2013;11:e1001494 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, hh is likely a target of Castor. Hence, Hh signaling provides a link between the temporal series and the asymmetric division machinery in scheduling the end of neurogenesis. ..
- Wang S, Tulina N, Carlin D, Rulifson E. The origin of islet-like cells in Drosophila identifies parallels to the vertebrate endocrine axis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:19873-8 pubmed..This ontogenic-molecular concordance suggests that a rudimentary brain endocrine axis was present in the common ancestor of humans and flies, where it orchestrated the islet-like endocrine functions of insulin and glucagon biology. ..
- Urbach R, Volland D, Seibert J, Technau G. Segment-specific requirements for dorsoventral patterning genes during early brain development in Drosophila. Development. 2006;133:4315-30 pubmed..We also show that, in the anterior brain (protocerebrum), normal production of early glial cells is independent from msh and vnd, in contrast to the posterior brain (deuto- and tritocerebrum) and to the ventral nerve cord. ..
- Urbach R, Technau G. Segment polarity and DV patterning gene expression reveals segmental organization of the Drosophila brain. Development. 2003;130:3607-20 pubmed..The labral neuromere is confined to the posterior segmental compartment. Finally, similarities in the expression of DV patterning genes between the Drosophila and vertebrate brains are discussed. ..
- Hasegawa E, Kitada Y, Kaido M, Takayama R, Awasaki T, Tabata T, et al. Concentric zones, cell migration and neuronal circuits in the Drosophila visual center. Development. 2011;138:983-93 pubmed publisher..Thus, genes that show the concentric zones may form a genetic hierarchy to establish neuronal circuits in the medulla. ..
- Sousa Nunes R, Chia W, Somers W. Protein phosphatase 4 mediates localization of the Miranda complex during Drosophila neuroblast asymmetric divisions. Genes Dev. 2009;23:359-72 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that Flfl may target PP4 to the MIra protein complex to facilitate dephosphorylation step(s) crucial for its cortical association/asymmetric localization. ..
- Yasugi T, Sugie A, Umetsu D, Tabata T. Coordinated sequential action of EGFR and Notch signaling pathways regulates proneural wave progression in the Drosophila optic lobe. Development. 2010;137:3193-203 pubmed publisher..Thus, coordinated sequential action of the EGFR and Notch signaling pathways causes the proneural wave to progress and induce neuroblast formation in a precisely ordered manner. ..
- Zhu S, Wildonger J, Barshow S, Younger S, Huang Y, Lee T. The bHLH repressor Deadpan regulates the self-renewal and specification of Drosophila larval neural stem cells independently of Notch. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e46724 pubmed publisher..called neuroblasts (NBs) as a model, we demonstrate that the Hairy and Enhancer-of-Split (Hes) family protein Deadpan (Dpn) plays important roles in NB self-renewal and specification...
- San Juán B, Andrade Zapata I, Baonza A. The bHLH factors Dpn and members of the E(spl) complex mediate the function of Notch signalling regulating cell proliferation during wing disc development. Biol Open. 2012;1:667-76 pubmed publisher..Here, we show that the Hes vertebrate homolog, deadpan (dpn), and the Enhancer-of-split complex (E(spl)C) genes act redundantly and cooperatively to mediate the Notch ..
- Jarman A, Grell E, Ackerman L, Jan L, Jan Y. Atonal is the proneural gene for Drosophila photoreceptors. Nature. 1994;369:398-400 pubmed..Formation of other photoreceptors does not directly require atonal function, but does depend on R8 selection by atonal. Thus, photoreceptors are selected by two mechanisms: R8 by a proneural mechanism, and R1-7 by local recruitment. ..
- Canon J, Banerjee U. In vivo analysis of a developmental circuit for direct transcriptional activation and repression in the same cell by a Runx protein. Genes Dev. 2003;17:838-43 pubmed..This study provides a mechanistic basis for the dual function of Runx proteins that is likely to be conserved in mammalian systems. ..
- Baumgardt M, Karlsson D, Terriente J, Diaz Benjumea F, Thor S. Neuronal subtype specification within a lineage by opposing temporal feed-forward loops. Cell. 2009;139:969-82 pubmed publisher..This mechanism of temporal and "subtemporal" genes acting in opposing feed-forward loops may be used by many stem cell lineages to generate diversity. ..
- Zacharioudaki E, Magadi S, Delidakis C. bHLH-O proteins are crucial for Drosophila neuroblast self-renewal and mediate Notch-induced overproliferation. Development. 2012;139:1258-69 pubmed publisher..We show that E(spl)m?, E(spl)m?, E(spl)m8 and Deadpan (Dpn), members of the basic helix-loop-helix-Orange protein family, are expressed in NBs but not in ..
- Zhu S, Barshow S, Wildonger J, Jan L, Jan Y. Ets transcription factor Pointed promotes the generation of intermediate neural progenitors in Drosophila larval brains. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:20615-20 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that PntP1 is both necessary and sufficient for the suppression of Ase in type II NBs and the generation of INPs in Drosophila larval brains. ..
- Lee C, Andersen R, Cabernard C, Manning L, Tran K, Lanskey M, et al. Drosophila Aurora-A kinase inhibits neuroblast self-renewal by regulating aPKC/Numb cortical polarity and spindle orientation. Genes Dev. 2006;20:3464-74 pubmed..We conclude that Aurora-A and Numb are novel inhibitors of neuroblast self-renewal and that spindle orientation regulates neuroblast self-renewal. ..
- Barbash D, Cline T. Genetic and molecular analysis of the autosomal component of the primary sex determination signal of Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1995;141:1451-71 pubmed..Ten suppressors were recovered in this extensive genome-wide selection. All were mutations in deadpan (dpn), a pleiotropic locus previously discovered to be a denominator element...
- Moraru M, Egger B, Bao D, Sprecher S. Analysis of cell identity, morphology, apoptosis and mitotic activity in a primary neural cell culture system in Drosophila. Neural Dev. 2012;7:14 pubmed publisher..We monitored mitotic activity of cell cultures derived from wildtype and tumorous larval brains. Our system provides a powerful approach to unveil developmental processes in the nervous system and to complement studies in vivo. ..
- Morante J, Erclik T, Desplan C. Cell migration in Drosophila optic lobe neurons is controlled by eyeless/Pax6. Development. 2011;138:687-93 pubmed publisher..These defects in cell migration among medulla cortex cells can be rescued by removing DE-Cadherin. Thus, eyeless links neurogenesis and neuronal migration. ..
- Vaessin H, Grell E, Wolff E, Bier E, Jan L, Jan Y. prospero is expressed in neuronal precursors and encodes a nuclear protein that is involved in the control of axonal outgrowth in Drosophila. Cell. 1991;67:941-53 pubmed..prospero encodes a large nuclear protein with multiple homopolymeric amino acid stretches and is expressed in neuronal precursors early during their formation. It is probably generally required for proper neuronal differentiation. ..
- Egger B, Gold K, Brand A. Notch regulates the switch from symmetric to asymmetric neural stem cell division in the Drosophila optic lobe. Development. 2010;137:2981-7 pubmed publisher..We show that the proneural wave transiently suppresses Notch activity in neuroepithelial cells, and that inhibition of Notch triggers the switch from symmetric, proliferative division, to asymmetric, differentiative division. ..
- Hirono K, Margolis J, Posakony J, Doe C. Identification of hunchback cis-regulatory DNA conferring temporal expression in neuroblasts and neurons. Gene Expr Patterns. 2012;12:11-7 pubmed publisher..Our results provide the necessary foundation for identifying trans-acting factors that establish the Hb early temporal expression domain. ..
- Younger Shepherd S, Vaessin H, Bier E, Jan L, Jan Y. deadpan, an essential pan-neural gene encoding an HLH protein, acts as a denominator in Drosophila sex determination. Cell. 1992;70:911-22 pubmed..We report here that an essential pan-neural gene, the autosomal HLH gene deadpan (dpn), acts as a denominator element...
- Weng M, Golden K, Lee C. dFezf/Earmuff maintains the restricted developmental potential of intermediate neural progenitors in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2010;18:126-35 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Erm dependence functionally distinguishes intermediate neural progenitors from neuroblasts in the Drosophila larval brain, balancing neurogenesis with stem cell maintenance. ..
- Roark M, Sturtevant M, Emery J, Vaessin H, Grell E, Bier E. scratch, a pan-neural gene encoding a zinc finger protein related to snail, promotes neuronal development. Genes Dev. 1995;9:2384-98 pubmed..number of photoreceptors in the eye, and embryos lacking the function of both scrt and the pan-neural gene deadpan (dpn), which encodes a basic helix-loop-helix (bHLH) protein, exhibit a significant loss of neurons...
- Bowman S, Rolland V, Betschinger J, Kinsey K, Emery G, Knoblich J. The tumor suppressors Brat and Numb regulate transit-amplifying neuroblast lineages in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2008;14:535-46 pubmed publisher..Our data describe a transit-amplifying lineage in the Drosophila nervous system and suggest that different vulnerabilities in intermediate cell types can affect the outcome of tumor suppressor loss in stem cell lineages. ..
- Egger B, Boone J, Stevens N, Brand A, Doe C. Regulation of spindle orientation and neural stem cell fate in the Drosophila optic lobe. Neural Dev. 2007;2:1 pubmed
- Homem C, Reichardt I, Berger C, Lendl T, Knoblich J. Long-term live cell imaging and automated 4D analysis of drosophila neuroblast lineages. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e79588 pubmed publisher..As defects in type II neuroblast lineages can result in brain tumor formation, our lineage analysis method will allow more detailed and quantitative analysis of tumorigenesis and asymmetric cell division in the Drosophila brain. ..
- Deshpande G, Stukey J, Schedl P. scute (sis-b) function in Drosophila sex determination. Mol Cell Biol. 1995;15:4430-40 pubmed..This in vivo complex is likely to be critical for Sc function in Sxl-Pe activation. ..
- Ha N, Polychronidou M, Lohmann I. COPS: detecting co-occurrence and spatial arrangement of transcription factor binding motifs in genome-wide datasets. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e52055 pubmed publisher..In sum, COPS is a fast, efficient and user-friendly tool mining statistically and biologically significant TFBS co-occurrences and therefore allows the identification of TFs that combinatorially regulate gene expression. ..
- Fuerstenberg S, Broadus J, Doe C. Asymmetry and cell fate in the Drosophila embryonic CNS. Int J Dev Biol. 1998;42:379-83 pubmed
- Campuzano S. Emc, a negative HLH regulator with multiple functions in Drosophila development. Oncogene. 2001;20:8299-307 pubmed..However, while maintaining this repressive molecular mechanism, emc also appears to act as a positive regulator of differentiation...
- Lai E. Micro RNAs are complementary to 3' UTR sequence motifs that mediate negative post-transcriptional regulation. Nat Genet. 2002;30:363-4 pubmed..These findings suggest a more general role for micro RNAs in gene regulation through the formation of RNA duplexes. ..
- Kappes G, Deshpande G, Mulvey B, Horabin J, Schedl P. The Drosophila Myc gene, diminutive, is a positive regulator of the Sex-lethal establishment promoter, Sxl-Pe. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:1543-8 pubmed publisher..Here we show that the Drosophila Myc gene diminutive is an X-linked numerator. ..
- Lu H, Kozhina E, Mahadevaraju S, Yang D, Avila F, Erickson J. Maternal Groucho and bHLH repressors amplify the dose-sensitive X chromosome signal in Drosophila sex determination. Dev Biol. 2008;323:248-60 pubmed publisher..The threshold response of SxlPe to XSE concentrations depends in part on the bHLH repressor, Deadpan, present in equal amounts in XX and XY embryos...
- Ulvklo C, Macdonald R, Bivik C, Baumgardt M, Karlsson D, Thor S. Control of neuronal cell fate and number by integration of distinct daughter cell proliferation modes with temporal progression. Development. 2012;139:678-89 pubmed publisher..This demonstrates that different daughter cell proliferation modes can be integrated with temporal competence changes, and suggests a novel mechanism for coordinately controlling neuronal subtype numbers. ..
- Wildonger J, Mann R. The t(8;21) translocation converts AML1 into a constitutive transcriptional repressor. Development. 2005;132:2263-72 pubmed..Instead, our data suggest that AML1-ETO acts as a constitutive transcriptional repressor. ..
- Karlsson D, Baumgardt M, Thor S. Segment-specific neuronal subtype specification by the integration of anteroposterior and temporal cues. PLoS Biol. 2010;8:e1000368 pubmed publisher..This study reveals a surprisingly restricted, yet multifaceted, function of both anteroposterior and temporal cues with respect to lineage control and cell fate specification...
- Estacio Gómez A, Moris Sanz M, Schäfer A, Perea D, Herrero P, Diaz Benjumea F. Bithorax-complex genes sculpt the pattern of leucokinergic neurons in the Drosophila central nervous system. Development. 2013;140:2139-48 pubmed publisher..We show that genes of the Bx-C acted in postmitotic cells to specify the segment-specific appearance of leucokinergic cells in the larval and adult ventral nerve cord. ..
- Knoblich J. Mechanisms of asymmetric cell division during animal development. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 1997;9:833-41 pubmed..The identification of Numb homologs in other species has suggested that this machinery might be conserved from Drosophila to vertebrates. ..
- Jimenez F, Modolell J. Neural fate specification in Drosophila. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 1993;3:626-32 pubmed..These comprise the initial selection of neural precursors from the ectoderm, the implementation of a basic neural fate common to all precursors and the concomitant endowment of each precursor and its progeny with specific fates. ..
- Janssens D, Lee C. It takes two to tango, a dance between the cells of origin and cancer stem cells in the Drosophila larval brain. Semin Cell Dev Biol. 2014;28:63-9 pubmed publisher..Here we review how defects in this cascade lead to tumor initiation and how inhibiting the self-renewal mechanisms may be an effective strategy to block CSC expansion. ..
- Suissa Y, Kalifa Y, Dinur T, Graham P, Deshpande G, Schedl P, et al. Hrp48 attenuates Sxl expression to allow for proper notch expression and signaling in wing development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:6930-5 pubmed publisher..We propose that it is critical to modulate the activities of the master determinant underling sexual dimorphism, to ensure that it does not function inappropriately in monomorphic tissues and disrupt their development. ..
- Paroush Z, Finley R, Kidd T, Wainwright S, Ingham P, Brent R, et al. Groucho is required for Drosophila neurogenesis, segmentation, and sex determination and interacts directly with hairy-related bHLH proteins. Cell. 1994;79:805-15 pubmed..that the groucho (gro) protein binds specifically to hairy and also to hairy-related bHLH proteins encoded by deadpan and the Enhancer of split complex...
- Parkhurst S, Meneely P. Sex determination and dosage compensation: lessons from flies and worms. Science. 1994;264:924-32 pubmed..Instead, the study of sex determination and dosage compensation is providing more general lessons about different types of signaling pathways used to control alternative developmental states of cells and organisms. ..
- Ouyang Y, Song Y, Lu B. dp53 Restrains ectopic neural stem cell formation in the Drosophila brain in a non-apoptotic mechanism involving Archipelago and cyclin E. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e28098 pubmed publisher..This has important clinical implications. ..
- Jones B. Transcriptional control of glial cell development in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2005;278:265-73 pubmed
- Vaessin H, Caudy M, Bier E, Jan L, Jan Y. Role of helix-loop-helix proteins in Drosophila neurogenesis. Cold Spring Harb Symp Quant Biol. 1990;55:239-45 pubmed
- Bernardoni R, Kammerer M, Vonesch J, Giangrande A. Gliogenesis depends on glide/gcm through asymmetric division of neuroglioblasts. Dev Biol. 1999;216:265-75 pubmed..Altogether, these findings identify a novel type of asymmetric cell division and disclose the lineage relationships between glia and neurons. They also reveal the mode of action of the glide/gcm promoting factor. ..
- Broihier H, Kuzin A, Zhu Y, Odenwald W, Skeath J. Drosophila homeodomain protein Nkx6 coordinates motoneuron subtype identity and axonogenesis. Development. 2004;131:5233-42 pubmed..Thus, this work demonstrates that Nkx6 acts in a specific neuronal population to link neuronal subtype identity to neuronal morphology and connectivity. ..
- Jiang Y, Reichert H. Drosophila neural stem cells in brain development and tumor formation. J Neurogenet. 2014;28:181-9 pubmed publisher..Here, the authors review the molecular genetics of Drosophila neuroblasts and discuss some recent advances in stem cell and cancer biology using this model system. ..
- Wu Y, Lee K, Song Y, Gehrke S, Lu B. The bantam microRNA acts through Numb to exert cell growth control and feedback regulation of Notch in tumor-forming stem cells in the Drosophila brain. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1006785 pubmed publisher..Our results highlight intricate transcriptional as well as translational control mechanisms and feedback regulation in the N signaling network, with important implications for NSC biology and cancer biology. ..