Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Dp
Description: DP transcription factor
Alias: 49Fk, CG4654, DDP1, DP1, DmDP, Dmel\CG4654, Dp1, TFPD2, dDP, dDP1, dDp, l(2)49Fk, l(2)vr10, vr10, DP transcription factor, CG4654-PA, CG4654-PB, CG4654-PC, Dp-PA, Dp-PB, Dp-PC, dimerization partner, lethal(2)49Fk
Species: fruit fly
- Ambrus A, Nicolay B, Rasheva V, Suckling R, Frolov M. dE2F2-independent rescue of proliferation in cells lacking an activator dE2F1. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:8561-70 pubmed..Thus, mutation of bel relieves the dE2F2-mediated cell cycle arrest in de2f1 mutant cells through a novel Ci155-dependent mechanism without functional inactivation of the dE2F2 repressor. ..
- Moon N, Di Stefano L, Morris E, Patel R, White K, Dyson N. E2F and p53 induce apoptosis independently during Drosophila development but intersect in the context of DNA damage. PLoS Genet. 2008;4:e1000153 pubmed publisher..However, dE2F and dp53 converge in the context of a DNA damage response. Both dE2F1/dDP and dp53 are required for DNA damage-induced cell death, and the analysis of rbf1 mutant eye discs indicates that ..
- Du W, Vidal M, Xie J, Dyson N. RBF, a novel RB-related gene that regulates E2F activity and interacts with cyclin E in Drosophila. Genes Dev. 1996;10:1206-18 pubmed..From a screen using Drosophila E2F (dE2F and dDP) as bait, we identified a novel gene, RBF...
- Zielke N, Kim K, Tran V, Shibutani S, Bravo M, Nagarajan S, et al. Control of Drosophila endocycles by E2F and CRL4(CDT2). Nature. 2011;480:123-7 pubmed publisher..Many of the regulatory interactions essential to this novel cell cycle oscillator are conserved in animals and plants, indicating that elements of this mechanism act in most growth-dependent cell cycles. ..
- Royzman I, Whittaker A, Orr Weaver T. Mutations in Drosophila DP and E2F distinguish G1-S progression from an associated transcriptional program. Genes Dev. 1997;11:1999-2011 pubmed..for mutations that disrupt G1-S transcription late in Drosophila embryogenesis and identified five mutations in the dDP gene. Although mutations in dDP or dE2F nearly eliminate E2F-dependent G1-S transcription, S-phase still occurs...
- Xin S, Weng L, Xu J, Du W. The role of RBF in developmentally regulated cell proliferation in the eye disc and in Cyclin D/Cdk4 induced cellular growth. Development. 2002;129:1345-56 pubmed
- Truscott M, Islam A, Lopez Bigas N, Frolov M. mir-11 limits the proapoptotic function of its host gene, dE2f1. Genes Dev. 2011;25:1820-34 pubmed publisher..Thus, our data support a model in which the coexpression of miR-11 limits the proapoptotic function of its host gene, dE2f1, upon DNA damage by directly modulating a dE2F1-dependent apoptotic transcriptional program. ..
- Duronio R, Brook A, Dyson N, O Farrell P. E2F-induced S phase requires cyclin E. Genes Dev. 1996;10:2505-13 pubmed..Simultaneous overexpression of both Drosophila E2F subunits, dE2F and dDP, in embryos stimulated the expression of multiple E2F-target genes including cyclin E, and also caused the ..
- Wichmann A, Uyetake L, Su T. E2F1 and E2F2 have opposite effects on radiation-induced p53-independent apoptosis in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2010;346:80-9 pubmed publisher..second E2F homolog, dE2F2, as well as the net E2F activity, which can be depleted by mutating the common cofactor, dDp, is inhibitory for p53-independent apoptosis...
- Nicolay B, Frolov M. Context-dependent requirement for dE2F during oncogenic proliferation. PLoS Genet. 2008;4:e1000205 pubmed publisher..Thus, we uncovered a critical requirement for the dE2F family during inappropriate proliferation of Hippo pathway mutant cells. ..
- Neufeld T, de la Cruz A, Johnston L, Edgar B. Coordination of growth and cell division in the Drosophila wing. Cell. 1998;93:1183-93 pubmed..We infer that dE2F and RBF function specifically in cell cycle control, and that cell cycle acceleration is insufficient to stimulate growth. Variations in dE2F activity could be used to coordinate cell division with growth. ..
- Datar S, Jacobs H, de la Cruz A, Lehner C, Edgar B. The Drosophila cyclin D-Cdk4 complex promotes cellular growth. EMBO J. 2000;19:4543-54 pubmed..Interaction tests with a Drosophila Rb homolog, RBF, indicate that CycD-Cdk4 can counteract the cell cycle suppressive effects of RBF, but that its growth promoting activity is mediated at least in part via other targets. ..
- Follette P, Duronio R, O Farrell P. Fluctuations in cyclin E levels are required for multiple rounds of endocycle S phase in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 1998;8:235-8 pubmed..These results indicate that endocycle S phases require oscillations in Cdk activity, but, in contrast to oscillations in mitotic cells, these occur independently of mitosis. ..
- Whittaker A, Royzman I, Orr Weaver T. Drosophila double parked: a conserved, essential replication protein that colocalizes with the origin recognition complex and links DNA replication with mitosis and the down-regulation of S phase transcripts. Genes Dev. 2000;14:1765-76 pubmed..This could be either because these events depend on progression of S phase beyond the point blocked in the dup mutants or because DUP is needed directly for these feedback mechanisms. ..
- Du W, Xie J, Dyson N. Ectopic expression of dE2F and dDP induces cell proliferation and death in the Drosophila eye. EMBO J. 1996;15:3684-92 pubmed..To address this issue, transgenic lines of Drosophila were studied in which ectopic expression of dE2F and dDP was targeted to the developing eye...
- Dynlacht B, Brook A, Dembski M, Yenush L, Dyson N. DNA-binding and trans-activation properties of Drosophila E2F and DP proteins. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1994;91:6359-63 pubmed..The other gene, dDP, is closely related to the human DP-1 and DP-2 genes...
- Baonza A, Freeman M. Control of cell proliferation in the Drosophila eye by Notch signaling. Dev Cell. 2005;8:529-39 pubmed..Delta to Notch signaling derepresses the inhibition of dE2F1 by RBF, and Delta expression depends on the secreted proteins Hedgehog and Dpp. Notch is also required for the expression of Cyclin A in the SMW. ..
- Buttitta L, Katzaroff A, Perez C, de la Cruz A, Edgar B. A double-assurance mechanism controls cell cycle exit upon terminal differentiation in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2007;12:631-43 pubmed..In other cell types, however (e.g., wing epithelial cells), unknown mechanisms inhibit E2F and Cyclin/Cdk activity in parallel to enforce permanent cell cycle exit upon terminal differentiation. ..
- Oldham S, Bohni R, Stocker H, Brogiolo W, Hafen E. Genetic control of size in Drosophila. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2000;355:945-52 pubmed..In this article we will review recent evidence from vertebrates and particularly from Drosophila that implicates insulin/insulin-like growth factor-I and other growth pathways in the control of cell, organ and body size. ..
- Shibutani S, de la Cruz A, Tran V, Turbyfill W, Reis T, Edgar B, et al. Intrinsic negative cell cycle regulation provided by PIP box- and Cul4Cdt2-mediated destruction of E2f1 during S phase. Dev Cell. 2008;15:890-900 pubmed publisher..a PCNA-interacting-protein (PIP) motif in E2f1 and the Cul4(Cdt2) E3 ubiquitin ligase and requires the Dp dimerization partner but not direct Cdk phosphorylation or Rbf1 binding...
- Royzman I, Austin R, Bosco G, Bell S, Orr Weaver T. ORC localization in Drosophila follicle cells and the effects of mutations in dE2F and dDP. Genes Dev. 1999;13:827-40 pubmed..Mutations in the DNA-binding domains of dE2F or dDP reduce amplification, and in these mutants specific localization of ORC2 to amplification loci is lost...
- Weng L, Zhu C, Xu J, Du W. Critical role of active repression by E2F and Rb proteins in endoreplication during Drosophila development. EMBO J. 2003;22:3865-75 pubmed..These observations point to an important role for E2F-Rb complexes in the downregulation of cyclin E during the gap phase of endocycling cells in Drosophila development. ..
- Stevaux O, Dimova D, Frolov M, Taylor Harding B, Morris E, Dyson N. Distinct mechanisms of E2F regulation by Drosophila RBF1 and RBF2. EMBO J. 2002;21:4927-37 pubmed..These results suggest that there is a remarkable degree of symmetry in the arrangement of E2F and RB family members in mammalian cells and in DROSOPHILA. ..
- Thacker S, Bonnette P, Duronio R. The contribution of E2F-regulated transcription to Drosophila PCNA gene function. Curr Biol. 2003;13:53-8 pubmed..Thus, E2F regulation of PCNA is dispensable for viability, but is nonetheless important for normal Drosophila development. ..
- Brumby A, Richardson H. scribble mutants cooperate with oncogenic Ras or Notch to cause neoplastic overgrowth in Drosophila. EMBO J. 2003;22:5769-79 pubmed
- Frolov M, Moon N, Dyson N. dDP is needed for normal cell proliferation. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:3027-39 pubmed..Our results show that dDP requires dE2F1 and dE2F2 for DNA-binding activity in vitro and in vivo...
- Hériché J, Ang D, Bier E, O Farrell P. Involvement of an SCFSlmb complex in timely elimination of E2F upon initiation of DNA replication in Drosophila. BMC Genet. 2003;4:9 pubmed..We have used genetic and physical interactions to identify the G1/S transcription factor E2F as an SCFSlmb target in Drosophila. These results argue that the SCFSlmb ubiquitin ligase directs E2F destruction in S phase. ..
- Moon N, Frolov M, Kwon E, Di Stefano L, Dimova D, Morris E, et al. Drosophila E2F1 has context-specific pro- and antiapoptotic properties during development. Dev Cell. 2005;9:463-75 pubmed..In this study, we show that dE2F1 and dDP are important for the normal pattern of DNA damage-induced apoptosis in Drosophila wing discs...
- Longworth M, Herr A, Ji J, Dyson N. RBF1 promotes chromatin condensation through a conserved interaction with the Condensin II protein dCAP-D3. Genes Dev. 2008;22:1011-24 pubmed publisher..These results uncover an unexpected link between pRB/RBF1 and chromatin condensation, providing a mechanism by which the functional inactivation of RB family members in human tumor cells may contribute to genome instability. ..
- Sawado T, Yamaguchi M, Nishimoto Y, Ohno K, Sakaguchi K, Matsukage A. dE2F2, a novel E2F-family transcription factor in Drosophila melanogaster. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1998;251:409-15 pubmed..S-transferase fusion proteins revealed dE2F2 binding to E2F-recognition sites to be dependent on the presence of dDP protein, in apparent contrast to dE2F...
- Shibutani S, Swanhart L, Duronio R. Rbf1-independent termination of E2f1-target gene expression during early Drosophila embryogenesis. Development. 2007;134:467-78 pubmed..E2f1 protein reaccumulates in epidermal cells arrested in G1(17), and in these cells the induction of p27(Dap) activates Rbf1 to repress E2f1-target genes to maintain a stable G1 arrest. ..
- Pagliarini R, Xu T. A genetic screen in Drosophila for metastatic behavior. Science. 2003;302:1227-31 pubmed..These findings suggest that the oncogenic background of tissues makes a distinct contribution toward metastatic development. ..
- Reis T, Edgar B. Negative regulation of dE2F1 by cyclin-dependent kinases controls cell cycle timing. Cell. 2004;117:253-64 pubmed..g., by ectopic Dacapo, dWee1, dMyc, or Rheb). Without dE2F1, the compensatory mechanism fails, and treatments that alter Cdk activity cause aberrant cell cycle timing and cell death. ..
- Duronio R, Bonnette P, O Farrell P. Mutations of the Drosophila dDP, dE2F, and cyclin E genes reveal distinct roles for the E2F-DP transcription factor and cyclin E during the G1-S transition. Mol Cell Biol. 1998;18:141-51 pubmed..Here we describe a mutation in the Drosophila dDP gene...
- Yamaguchi M, Hayashi Y, Matsukage A. Essential role of E2F recognition sites in regulation of the proliferating cell nuclear antigen gene promoter during Drosophila development. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:25159-65 pubmed..and -56 to -49 (site II) with respect to the cap site Glutathione S-transferase (GST)-E2F and GST-DP fusion proteins cooperate and bind to the potential E2F sites in the PCNA promoter in vitro...
- Britton J, Edgar B. Environmental control of the cell cycle in Drosophila: nutrition activates mitotic and endoreplicative cells by distinct mechanisms. Development. 1998;125:2149-58 pubmed..These results demonstrate a fundamental difference in the control of cell cycle activation and maintenance in these two cell types, and imply the existence of a novel mitogen generated by the larval fat body in response to nutrition. ..
- Korenjak M, Brehm A. E2F-Rb complexes regulating transcription of genes important for differentiation and development. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 2005;15:520-7 pubmed
- Handke B, Szabad J, Lidsky P, Hafen E, Lehner C. Towards long term cultivation of Drosophila wing imaginal discs in vitro. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e107333 pubmed publisher..Based on our analyses, we developed a culture protocol that prolongs cell proliferation in cultured discs. ..
- Galloni M, Edgar B. Cell-autonomous and non-autonomous growth-defective mutants of Drosophila melanogaster. Development. 1999;126:2365-75 pubmed..The isolation of non-cell-autonomous larval growth-defective mutants suggests that specialized organs coordinate growth throughout the animal and provides new tools for studies of organismal growth regulation. ..
- Oktaba K, Gutierrez L, Gagneur J, Girardot C, Sengupta A, Furlong E, et al. Dynamic regulation by polycomb group protein complexes controls pattern formation and the cell cycle in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2008;15:877-89 pubmed publisher..Analysis of cell cycle regulators indicates that the PcG system also dynamically modulates the expression levels of certain genes, providing a possible explanation for the tumor phenotype of PcG mutants. ..
- Wei Y, Mondal S, Mouawad R, WilczyÅ„ski B, Henry R, Arnosti D. Genome-Wide Analysis of Drosophila RBf2 Protein Highlights the Diversity of RB Family Targets and Possible Role in Regulation of Ribosome Biosynthesis. G3 (Bethesda). 2015;5:1503-15 pubmed publisher..Association of RBf2 with these promoters appears to be independent of dE2F2/dDP, although promoters bound by both RBf1 and RBf2 require dE2F2/dDP...
- Lasko P, Pardue M. Studies of the genetic organization of the vestigial microregion of Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1988;120:495-502 pubmed..The distal breakpoints of twelve of 20 deficiencies overlapping Df(2R)vgB are genetically identical to that of Df(2R)vgD, coinciding with the position of a complex, pleiotropic locus, l(2)49Ea-Psc-Su(z)2. ..
- Stevaux O, Dimova D, Ji J, Moon N, Frolov M, Dyson N. Retinoblastoma family 2 is required in vivo for the tissue-specific repression of dE2F2 target genes. Cell Cycle. 2005;4:1272-80 pubmed..These results demonstrate that RBF2 has a unique function in repressing E2F-regulated differentiation markers and that dE2F2 and RBF2 are required to regulate different sets of target genes in different tissues. ..
- Milet C, Rincheval Arnold A, Mignotte B, Guenal I. The Drosophila retinoblastoma protein induces apoptosis in proliferating but not in post-mitotic cells. Cell Cycle. 2010;9:97-103 pubmed..Taken together, these data clearly show that RBF can exert a dual role in the control of apoptotic processes, and that its properties depend on the proliferative status of the cells. ..
- Myster D, Bonnette P, Duronio R. A role for the DP subunit of the E2F transcription factor in axis determination during Drosophila oogenesis. Development. 2000;127:3249-61 pubmed..Drosophila contains two E2F genes (dE2F, dE2F2) and one DP gene (dDP)...
- Rasheva V, Knight D, Bozko P, Marsh K, Frolov M. Specific role of the SR protein splicing factor B52 in cell cycle control in Drosophila. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:3468-77 pubmed..These results uncover a previously unrecognized role of the splicing factor in maintaining the G(1)/S block in vivo by specific regulation of the dE2F2 repressor function. ..
- Caldwell M, Datta S. Expression of cyclin E or DP/E2F rescues the G1 arrest of trol mutant neuroblasts in the Drosophila larval central nervous system. Mech Dev. 1998;79:121-30 pubmed..We have investigated this cell cycle arrest to examine trol function. Induced expression of cyclin E or DP/E2F in trol mutants results in normal levels of dividing neuroblasts, while cyclin B expression has no effect...
- Lehner C. The beauty of small flies. Nat Cell Biol. 1999;1:E129-30 pubmed
- Suzuki E, Zhao Y, Ito S, Sawatsubashi S, Murata T, Furutani T, et al. Aberrant E2F activation by polyglutamine expansion of androgen receptor in SBMA neurotoxicity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:3818-22 pubmed publisher..This appears to lead to androgen-dependent onset of SBMA through aberrant E2F transactivation caused by suppressed histone deacetylation. ..
- Edgar B, Lehner C. Developmental control of cell cycle regulators: a fly's perspective. Science. 1996;274:1646-52 pubmed
- de Nooij J, Graber K, Hariharan I. Expression of the cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor Dacapo is regulated by cyclin E. Mech Dev. 2000;97:73-83 pubmed..Our results argue for a mechanism where Cyclin E/Cdk activity induces Dacapo expression but only within certain windows that are permissive for dacapo expression. ..
- Coelho C, Leevers S. Do growth and cell division rates determine cell size in multicellular organisms?. J Cell Sci. 2000;113 ( Pt 17):2927-34 pubmed..These interactions may provide a means of coordinating growth and cell division, such that cells divide only when they are above a minimum size. ..
- Escudero L, Freeman M. Mechanism of G1 arrest in the Drosophila eye imaginal disc. BMC Dev Biol. 2007;7:13 pubmed..The unexpectedly complex network of regulation may reflect the importance of cells being uniformly ready to respond to the inductive signals that coordinate retinal differentiation. ..
- Miles W, Korenjak M, Griffiths L, Dyer M, Provero P, Dyson N. Post-transcriptional gene expression control by NANOS is up-regulated and functionally important in pRb-deficient cells. EMBO J. 2014;33:2201-15 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that NANOS increases in importance in pRb-deficient cells and helps to maintain homeostasis by repressing the translation of transcripts containing PUM Regulatory Elements (PRE). ..
- Lewis P, Sahoo D, Geng C, Bell M, Lipsick J, Botchan M. Drosophila lin-52 acts in opposition to repressive components of the Myb-MuvB/dREAM complex. Mol Cell Biol. 2012;32:3218-27 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, these findings support a model in which the Lin-52 and Myb proteins counteract the repressive activities of the other members of the MMB/dREAM complex at specific genomic loci in a developmentally controlled manner. ..
- Davidson J, Duronio R. S phase-coupled E2f1 destruction ensures homeostasis in proliferating tissues. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002831 pubmed publisher..We propose that inappropriate accumulation of E2f1 protein during S phase triggers the elimination of potentially hyperplastic cells via apoptosis in order to ensure normal development of rapidly proliferating tissues. ..
- Wolfner M, Wilson K. The nuclear envelope: emerging roles in development and disease. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2001;58:1737-40 pubmed
- Zraly C, Marenda D, Dingwall A. SNR1 (INI1/SNF5) mediates important cell growth functions of the Drosophila Brahma (SWI/SNF) chromatin remodeling complex. Genetics. 2004;168:199-214 pubmed..Thus, in addition to important functions of the Brm complex in G1-S control, the complex also appears to be important for transcription of genes required for cell cycle progression. ..
- Royzman I, Hayashi Hagihara A, Dej K, Bosco G, Lee J, Orr Weaver T. The E2F cell cycle regulator is required for Drosophila nurse cell DNA replication and apoptosis. Mech Dev. 2002;119:225-37 pubmed..We used female-sterile dE2F1 and dDP mutants to assess the role of the E2F cell cycle regulator in oogenesis and the relative contributions of ..
- Legent K, Mas M, Dutriaux A, Bertrandy S, Flagiello D, Delanoue R, et al. In vivo analysis of Drosophila deoxyribonucleoside kinase function in cell cycle, cell survival and anti-cancer drugs resistance. Cell Cycle. 2006;5:740-9 pubmed..dNK is therefore functionally more closely related to mammalian TK1 than to TK2. This strongly suggests that dNK plays a role in cell proliferation in physiological conditions. ..
- Kuzin B, Regulski M, Stasiv Y, Scheinker V, Tully T, Enikolopov G. Nitric oxide interacts with the retinoblastoma pathway to control eye development in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2000;10:459-62 pubmed..cycle regulatory pathways (the Rb-like protein RBF and the E2F transcription factor complex components dE2F and dDP) combined with NOS inhibitors to address this issue...
- Gupta R, Tripathi R, Naidu B, Srinivas U, Shashidhara L. Cell cycle regulation by the pro-apoptotic gene Scotin. Cell Cycle. 2008;7:2401-8 pubmed..Furthermore, a larger proportion of cells overexpressing Scotin showed sequestration of Cyclin B1 in the cytoplasm. These results suggest that one of the ways by which Scotin induces apoptosis is by causing cell cycle arrest. ..
- Royzman I, Orr Weaver T. S phase and differential DNA replication during Drosophila oogenesis. Genes Cells. 1998;3:767-76 pubmed..Cyclin E and E2F are needed for this differential DNA replication during Drosophila oogenesis. ..
- Housden B, Terriente Félix A, Bray S. Context-dependent enhancer selection confers alternate modes of notch regulation on argos. Mol Cell Biol. 2014;34:664-72 pubmed publisher..This is likely to be a general mechanism for enabling the wiring between these pathways to switch according to context. ..
- Fitzpatrick C, Sharkov N, Ramsay G, Katzen A. Drosophila myb exerts opposing effects on S phase, promoting proliferation and suppressing endoreduplication. Development. 2002;129:4497-507 pubmed..We conclude that in proliferating cells, Dm myb has the dual function of promoting S phase and M phase, while preserving diploidy by suppressing endoreduplication. ..