Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: dome
Alias: 142932_at, CG14226, CT33841, DOME, Dmel\CG14226, Dom, Dome, Domeless, anon-18DEb, l(1)G0217, l(1)G0218, l(1)G0264, l(1)G0282, l(1)G0321, l(1)G0367, l(1)G0405, l(1)G0441, l(1)G0468, mom, vsp, domeless, CG14226-PA, dome receptor, dome-PA, master of marelle, verstopft
Species: fruit fly
- Chen H, Chen X, Oh S, Marinissen M, Gutkind J, Hou S. mom identifies a receptor for the Drosophila JAK/STAT signal transduction pathway and encodes a protein distantly related to the mammalian cytokine receptor family. Genes Dev. 2002;16:388-98 pubmed..We named this gene master of marelle (mom). Genetic analyses place mom's function between upd (the ligand) and hop...
- Buchon N, Broderick N, Chakrabarti S, Lemaitre B. Invasive and indigenous microbiota impact intestinal stem cell activity through multiple pathways in Drosophila. Genes Dev. 2009;23:2333-44 pubmed publisher..Altogether, these results indicate that gut homeostasis is achieved by a complex interregulation of the immune response, gut microbiota, and stem cell activity...
- Ren F, Wang B, Yue T, Yun E, Ip Y, Jiang J. Hippo signaling regulates Drosophila intestine stem cell proliferation through multiple pathways. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:21064-9 pubmed publisher..Finally, we show that the Hpo pathway mediator Yorkie (Yki) is also required in precursor cells for injury-induced ISC proliferation in response to tissue-damaging reagent DSS. ..
- Makki R, Meister M, Pennetier D, Ubeda J, Braun A, Daburon V, et al. A short receptor downregulates JAK/STAT signalling to control the Drosophila cellular immune response. PLoS Biol. 2010;8:e1000441 pubmed publisher..In vivo and cell culture assays indicate that Latran forms heteromers with Domeless, the Drosophila type I cytokine signalling receptor related to mammalian GP130, and antagonises Domeless activity ..
- Pastor Pareja J, Wu M, Xu T. An innate immune response of blood cells to tumors and tissue damage in Drosophila. Dis Model Mech. 2008;1:144-54; discussion 153 pubmed publisher..Our findings reveal common mechanisms in the response to tumors and wounds in flies. A similar innate reaction may underlie the response to tumors and tissue damage in vertebrates and humans. ..
- Johansen K, Iwaki D, Lengyel J. Localized JAK/STAT signaling is required for oriented cell rearrangement in a tubular epithelium. Development. 2003;130:135-45 pubmed..These results provide the first example in which JAK/STAT signaling plays a required role in orienting cell rearrangement that elongates an epithelium. ..
- Agaisse H, Perrimon N. The roles of JAK/STAT signaling in Drosophila immune responses. Immunol Rev. 2004;198:72-82 pubmed
- Ghiglione C, Devergne O, Georgenthum E, Carballès F, Medioni C, Cerezo D, et al. The Drosophila cytokine receptor Domeless controls border cell migration and epithelial polarization during oogenesis. Development. 2002;129:5437-47 pubmed..transduction of the Unpaired [Upd; also known as Outstretched (Os)] ligand through the JAK/STAT pathway requires Domeless, a putative membrane protein with distant homology to vertebrate type I cytokine receptors...
- Copf T, Goguel V, Lampin Saint Amaux A, Scaplehorn N, Preat T. Cytokine signaling through the JAK/STAT pathway is required for long-term memory in Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:8059-64 pubmed publisher..is Upd specifically required in the mushroom bodies for olfactory aversive long-term memory but the Upd receptor Dome, as well as the Drosophila JAK and STAT homologs Hop and Stat92E, are also required, while being dispensable for ..
- Jung S, Evans C, Uemura C, Banerjee U. The Drosophila lymph gland as a developmental model of hematopoiesis. Development. 2005;132:2521-33 pubmed..The cellular events identified in this analysis further establish Drosophila as a model system for hematopoiesis. ..
- Rivas M, Cobreros L, Zeidler M, Hombria J. Plasticity of Drosophila Stat DNA binding shows an evolutionary basis for Stat transcription factor preferences. EMBO Rep. 2008;9:1114-20 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that the ancestral STAT protein had the capacity to bind to 3n and 4n sites and that specific STAT binding preferences evolved with the radiation of the vertebrate STAT family. ..
- Mukherjee T, Hombria J, Zeidler M. Opposing roles for Drosophila JAK/STAT signalling during cellular proliferation. Oncogene. 2005;24:2503-11 pubmed..Pro- and antiproliferative roles therefore represent ancestral activities conserved through evolution and subsequently assigned to distinct molecules. ..
- Agaisse H, Petersen U, Boutros M, Mathey Prevot B, Perrimon N. Signaling role of hemocytes in Drosophila JAK/STAT-dependent response to septic injury. Dev Cell. 2003;5:441-50 pubmed
- Hayashi Y, Sexton T, Dejima K, Perry D, Takemura M, Kobayashi S, et al. Glypicans regulate JAK/STAT signaling and distribution of the Unpaired morphogen. Development. 2012;139:4162-71 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we establish the follicular epithelium as a new model for morphogen signaling in complex organ development. ..
- Brown S, Hu N, Hombría J. Identification of the first invertebrate interleukin JAK/STAT receptor, the Drosophila gene domeless. Curr Biol. 2001;11:1700-5 pubmed..Here we show that domeless (dome) codes for a transmembrane protein required for all JAK/STAT functions in the Drosophila embryo...
- ..Here we review our current understanding of Drosophila SOCS proteins, their roles in vivo, and future approaches to elucidating their functions. ..
- Silver D, Montell D. Paracrine signaling through the JAK/STAT pathway activates invasive behavior of ovarian epithelial cells in Drosophila. Cell. 2001;107:831-41 pubmed..Ectopic expression of either UPD or JAK is sufficient to induce extra epithelial cells to migrate. Thus, a localized signal activates the JAK/STAT pathway in neighboring epithelial cells, causing them to become invasive. ..
- Hombria J, Brown S. The fertile field of Drosophila Jak/STAT signalling. Curr Biol. 2002;12:R569-75 pubmed..Drosophila's streamlined pathway offers a simple model to find new elements and analyse the function of existing ones. ..
- Devergne O, Ghiglione C, Noselli S. The endocytic control of JAK/STAT signalling in Drosophila. J Cell Sci. 2007;120:3457-64 pubmedb>Domeless (Dome) is an IL-6-related cytokine receptor that activates a conserved JAK/STAT signalling pathway during Drosophila development...
- Xi R, McGregor J, Harrison D. A gradient of JAK pathway activity patterns the anterior-posterior axis of the follicular epithelium. Dev Cell. 2003;4:167-77 pubmed..We propose that Upd secreted from the polar cells may act as a morphogen to stimulate A/P-derived follicular fates through JAK pathway activation. ..
- Brown S, Hu N, Hombria J. Novel level of signalling control in the JAK/STAT pathway revealed by in situ visualisation of protein-protein interaction during Drosophila development. Development. 2003;130:3077-84 pubmed..Here we study whether DOME, the Drosophila receptor of the JAK/STAT pathway, can dimerise and if the dimerisation is ligand-dependent...
- Mandal L, Martinez Agosto J, Evans C, Hartenstein V, Banerjee U. A Hedgehog- and Antennapedia-dependent niche maintains Drosophila haematopoietic precursors. Nature. 2007;446:320-4 pubmed..Identification of this system allows the opportunity for genetic manipulation and direct in vivo imaging of a haematopoietic niche interacting with blood precursors. ..
- Wang W, Li Y, Zhou L, Yue H, Luo H. Role of JAK/STAT signaling in neuroepithelial stem cell maintenance and proliferation in the Drosophila optic lobe. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2011;410:714-20 pubmed publisher..Thus, in addition to its role in suppression of neuroblast formation, the JAK/STAT pathway is necessary and sufficient for optic lobe neuroepithelial growth. ..
- Gutierrez Aviño F, Ferres Marco D, Dominguez M. The position and function of the Notch-mediated eye growth organizer: the roles of JAK/STAT and four-jointed. EMBO Rep. 2009;10:1051-8 pubmed publisher..These findings redefine the process of organizer formation and function, and they identify four-jointed as a regulatory node, integrating multiple growth-control pathways. ..
- Hombr a J, Brown S, H der S, Zeidler M. Characterisation of Upd2, a Drosophila JAK/STAT pathway ligand. Dev Biol. 2005;288:420-33 pubmed publisher..The differing biophysical characteristics identified for Upd-like molecules have implications for their function in vivo and adds another aspect to our understanding of cytokine signalling in Drosophila...
- Wright V, Vogt K, Smythe E, Zeidler M. Differential activities of the Drosophila JAK/STAT pathway ligands Upd, Upd2 and Upd3. Cell Signal. 2011;23:920-7 pubmed publisher..Finally, investigations into the effects of ectopic expression of Upd3 in vivo have confirmed its ability to activate pathway signalling at long-distance...
- Tsai Y, Sun Y. Long-range effect of upd, a ligand for Jak/STAT pathway, on cell cycle in Drosophila eye development. Genesis. 2004;39:141-53 pubmed..Upd regulates eye size through the Dome/Jak(Hop)/STAT92 signaling pathway to promote cell proliferation...
- Jiang H, Patel P, Kohlmaier A, Grenley M, McEwen D, Edgar B. Cytokine/Jak/Stat signaling mediates regeneration and homeostasis in the Drosophila midgut. Cell. 2009;137:1343-55 pubmed publisher..Hence, cytokine-mediated feedback enables stem cells to replace spent progeny as they are lost, thereby establishing gut homeostasis. ..
- Arbouzova N, Bach E, Zeidler M. Ken & barbie selectively regulates the expression of a subset of Jak/STAT pathway target genes. Curr Biol. 2006;16:80-8 pubmed..Ken therefore represents a novel regulator of JAK/STAT signaling whose dynamic spatial and temporal expression is capable of selectively modulating the transcriptional repertoire elicited by activated STAT92E in vivo. ..
- Owusu Ansah E, Banerjee U. Reactive oxygen species prime Drosophila haematopoietic progenitors for differentiation. Nature. 2009;461:537-41 pubmed publisher..Our results lead to a model that could be extended to reveal a probable signalling role for ROS in the differentiation of CMPs in mammalian haematopoietic development and oxidative stress response. ..
- Ngo K, Wang J, Junker M, Kriz S, Vo G, Asem B, et al. Concomitant requirement for Notch and Jak/Stat signaling during neuro-epithelial differentiation in the Drosophila optic lobe. Dev Biol. 2010;346:284-95 pubmed publisher..Our findings present the Drosophila optic lobe as a useful model to analyze the key signaling mechanisms controlling transitions of progenitor cells from symmetric (growth) to asymmetric (differentiative) divisions. ..
- Vidal O, Stec W, Bausek N, Smythe E, Zeidler M. Negative regulation of Drosophila JAK-STAT signalling by endocytic trafficking. J Cell Sci. 2010;123:3457-66 pubmed publisher..a recent report has suggested that the endocytic trafficking of the Drosophila JAK-STAT pathway receptor Domeless (Dome) does not act to downregulate pathway activity, but rather is necessary for in vivo signalling...
- Karsten P, Plischke I, Perrimon N, Zeidler M. Mutational analysis reveals separable DNA binding and trans-activation of Drosophila STAT92E. Cell Signal. 2006;18:819-29 pubmed
- Ip Y. Drosophila innate immunity goes viral. Nat Immunol. 2005;6:863-4 pubmed
- Kulkarni V, Khadilkar R, Magadi S, Srivathsa M, Inamdar M. Asrij maintains the stem cell niche and controls differentiation during Drosophila lymph gland hematopoiesis. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e27667 pubmed publisher..Taken together our data suggest a role for Asrij in causing increased Notch signaling thereby affecting hemocyte differentiation. Thus, conserved endocytic functions may control blood cell progenitor quiescence and differentiation. ..
- Sotillos S, Díaz Meco M, Moscat J, Castelli Gair Hombría J. Polarized subcellular localization of Jak/STAT components is required for efficient signaling. Curr Biol. 2008;18:624-9 pubmed publisher..Our results also suggest that receptor polarization in the ectoderm cell membrane restricts the cell's response to ligands provided by neighboring cells. ..
- Li Q, Feng S, Yu L, Zhao G, Li M. Requirements of Lgl in cell differentiation and motility during Drosophila ovarian follicular epithelium morphogenesis. Fly (Austin). 2011;5:81-7 pubmed..Overall, we identify Lgl as an essential factor in regulating differentiation and morphogenetic movement of the ovarian epithelial follicle cells. ..
- Wang L, Ryoo H, Qi Y, Jasper H. PERK Limits Drosophila Lifespan by Promoting Intestinal Stem Cell Proliferation in Response to ER Stress. PLoS Genet. 2015;11:e1005220 pubmed publisher..Our studies highlight the significance of the PERK branch of the unfolded protein response of the ER (UPRER) in intestinal homeostasis and provide a viable strategy to improve organismal health- and lifespan. ..
- Bartscherer K, Pelte N, Ingelfinger D, Boutros M. Secretion of Wnt ligands requires Evi, a conserved transmembrane protein. Cell. 2006;125:523-33 pubmed..Our results show that Wg is retained by evi mutant cells and suggest that evi is the founding member of a gene family specifically required for Wg/Wnt secretion. ..
- Doherty J, Sheehan A, Bradshaw R, Fox A, Lu T, Freeman M. PI3K signaling and Stat92E converge to modulate glial responsiveness to axonal injury. PLoS Biol. 2014;12:e1001985 pubmed publisher..We propose that Drosophila glia use this auto-regulatory loop as a mechanism to adjust their reactive state following injury. ..
- Gao H, Wu X, Fossett N. Odd-skipped maintains prohemocyte potency and blocks blood cell development in Drosophila. Genesis. 2011;49:105-16 pubmed publisher..Overall, these studies are the basis for a gene regulatory model of prohemocyte cell fate choice. ..
- Zhang Y, You J, Ren W, Lin X. Drosophila glypicans Dally and Dally-like are essential regulators for JAK/STAT signaling and Unpaired distribution in eye development. Dev Biol. 2013;375:23-32 pubmed publisher..Luciferase assay also showed that Dally promotes JAK/STAT signaling activity, and is dependent on its heparin sulfate chains. These data suggest that Dally and Dlp are essential for Upd distribution and JAK/STAT signaling activity...
- Ren W, Zhang Y, Li M, Wu L, Wang G, Baeg G, et al. Windpipe controls Drosophila intestinal homeostasis by regulating JAK/STAT pathway via promoting receptor endocytosis and lysosomal degradation. PLoS Genet. 2015;11:e1005180 pubmed publisher..Importantly, we show that Wdp interacts with the receptor Domeless (Dome), and promotes its internalization for subsequent lysosomal degradation...
- Bunker B, Nellimoottil T, Boileau R, Classen A, Bilder D. The transcriptional response to tumorigenic polarity loss in Drosophila. elife. 2015;4: pubmed publisher..Our results link epithelial organization to signaling and epigenetic regulators that control tissue repair programs, and provide insight into why epithelial polarity is tumor-suppressive. ..
- Tsai Y, Yao J, Chen P, Posakony J, Barolo S, Kim J, et al. Upd/Jak/STAT signaling represses wg transcription to allow initiation of morphogenetic furrow in Drosophila eye development. Dev Biol. 2007;306:760-71 pubmed..In this report, we showed that the Upd/Jak/STAT signaling is required and sufficient to determine MF initiation. This is primarily achieved by repressing the transcription of wingless (wg), which is known to block MF initiation. ..
- Chabu C, Xu T. Oncogenic Ras stimulates Eiger/TNF exocytosis to promote growth. Development. 2014;141:4729-39 pubmed publisher..Our findings highlight important cell-intrinsic and cell-extrinsic roles of exocytosis during oncogenic growth and provide a new class of synthetic suppressors for targeted therapy approaches. ..
- Markstein M, Dettorre S, Cho J, Neumüller R, Craig Müller S, Perrimon N. Systematic screen of chemotherapeutics in Drosophila stem cell tumors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:4530-5 pubmed publisher..An immediate implication of our findings is that supplementing traditional chemotherapeutics with anti-inflammatories may reduce tumor recurrence. ..
- Josten F, Fuss B, Feix M, Meissner T, Hoch M. Cooperation of JAK/STAT and Notch signaling in the Drosophila foregut. Dev Biol. 2004;267:181-9 pubmed..during posterior foregut development, we have identified and molecularly characterized two alleles of the domeless gene which encodes the Drosophila Janus kinase (JAK)/STAT receptor...
- Charroux B, Royet J. Elimination of plasmatocytes by targeted apoptosis reveals their role in multiple aspects of the Drosophila immune response. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:9797-802 pubmed publisher..Finally, we show that plasmatocytes are involved in immune surveillance during pupal development, because they prevent bacterial infection that causes pupal lethality...
- Wang Y, Huang M. Reduction of Lobe leads to TORC1 hypoactivation that induces ectopic Jak/STAT signaling to impair Drosophila eye development. Mech Dev. 2009;126:781-90 pubmed publisher..A novel finding from our data is that dysregulated TORC1 signaling regulates the expression of upd and the function of the Jak/STAT signal pathway in Drosophila eye development. ..
- Gesellchen V, Kuttenkeuler D, Steckel M, Pelte N, Boutros M. An RNA interference screen identifies Inhibitor of Apoptosis Protein 2 as a regulator of innate immune signalling in Drosophila. EMBO Rep. 2005;6:979-84 pubmed..Our results indicate that IAP gene family members may have acquired other functions, such as the regulation of the tumour necrosis factor-like IMD pathway during innate immune responses. ..
- SantabÃ¡rbara Ruiz P, LÃ³pez SantillÃ¡n M, MartÃnez RodrÃguez I, Binagui Casas A, PÃ©rez L, MilÃ¡n M, et al. ROS-Induced JNK and p38 Signaling Is Required for Unpaired Cytokine Activation during Drosophila Regeneration. PLoS Genet. 2015;11:e1005595 pubmed publisher..This module is not only activated after cell death induction but also after physical damage and reveals one of the earliest responses for imaginal disc regeneration. ..
- Fisher K, Stec W, Brown S, Zeidler M. Mechanisms of JAK/STAT pathway negative regulation by the short coreceptor Eye Transformer/Latran. Mol Biol Cell. 2016;27:434-41 pubmed publisher..via multiple receptor combinations, the Drosophila pathway has only one full-length signaling receptor, Domeless (Dome), and a single negatively acting receptor, Eye Transformer/Latran (Et/Lat)...
- Borensztejn A, Boissoneau E, Fernandez G, Agnès F, Pret A. JAK/STAT autocontrol of ligand-producing cell number through apoptosis. Development. 2013;140:195-204 pubmed publisher..This is the first example linking this highly conserved signalling pathway with developmental apoptosis in Drosophila. ..
- Kucherenko M, Shcherbata H. Steroids as external temporal codes act via microRNAs and cooperate with cytokines in differential neurogenesis. Fly (Austin). 2013;7:173-83 pubmed publisher..A new era of neuronal plasticity assessment via managing external temporal cues such as hormones and cytokines that specify individual types of neurons might open new possibilities for brain regenerative therapeutics. ..
- Ayala Camargo A, Anderson A, Amoyel M, Rodrigues A, Flaherty M, Bach E. JAK/STAT signaling is required for hinge growth and patterning in the Drosophila wing disc. Dev Biol. 2013;382:413-26 pubmed publisher..We conclude that JAK/STAT signaling is critical for hinge fate specification and growth of the gap domain and that its restriction to the hinge is required for proper wing development. ..
- Feng S, Thomas S, Wang J. Diverse tumor pathology due to distinctive patterns of JAK/STAT pathway activation caused by different Drosophila polyhomeotic alleles. Genetics. 2012;190:279-82 pubmed publisher..These allele-specific phenotypes stem from the different sensitivities of ph mutant cells to the Upd homologs that they secrete. ..
- Graves H, Woodfield S, Yang C, Halder G, Bergmann A. Notch signaling activates Yorkie non-cell autonomously in Drosophila. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e37615 pubmed publisher..Our data identify a novel mechanism by which Notch promotes cell survival non-cell autonomously and by which neoplastic tumor cells generate a supportive microenvironment for tumor growth. ..
- Payne C, Braun R. Glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor maintains a POZ-itive influence on stem cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:9751-2 pubmed
- Li H, Qi Y, Jasper H. Preventing Age-Related Decline of Gut Compartmentalization Limits Microbiota Dysbiosis and Extends Lifespan. Cell Host Microbe. 2016;19:240-53 pubmed publisher..Our results establish a mechanism by which age-related chronic inflammation causes the decline of intestinal compartmentalization and microbiota dysbiosis, limiting lifespan. ..