Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: dlp
Alias: CG17703, CG32146, CG5031, CT16138, D-gpcB, DLP, Dally-like, Dlp, Dly, Dmel\CG32146, dly, dally-like, CG32146-PA, CG32146-PC, D-glypican B, Dally-like, Dally-like protein, dallylike, dlp-PA, dlp-PC
Species: fruit fly
- Callejo A, Bilioni A, Mollica E, Gorfinkiel N, Andres G, Ibañez C, et al. Dispatched mediates Hedgehog basolateral release to form the long-range morphogenetic gradient in the Drosophila wing disk epithelium. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:12591-8 pubmed publisher..Functional analysis of the 12-transmembrane protein Dispatched, the glypican Dally-like (Dlp) protein, and the Ig-like and FNNIII domains of protein Interference Hh (Ihog) revealed that Dispatched could be ..
- Hayashi Y, Kobayashi S, Nakato H. Drosophila glypicans regulate the germline stem cell niche. J Cell Biol. 2009;187:473-80 pubmed publisher..We propose that HSPGs define the physical space of the niche by serving as trans coreceptors, mediating short-range signaling by secreted factors. ..
- Desbordes S, Sanson B. The glypican Dally-like is required for Hedgehog signalling in the embryonic epidermis of Drosophila. Development. 2003;130:6245-55 pubmed..Dally-like, however, is strictly necessary for Hedgehog signal transduction. Epistatic experiments show that Dally-like is required for the reception of the Hedgehog signal, upstream or at the level of the Patched receptor. ..
- Dejima K, Kanai M, Akiyama T, Levings D, Nakato H. Novel contact-dependent bone morphogenetic protein (BMP) signaling mediated by heparan sulfate proteoglycans. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:17103-11 pubmed publisher..Our findings provide the molecular foundation for novel contact-dependent signaling, which defines the physical space of the stem cell niche in vivo. ..
- Han C, Belenkaya T, Wang B, Lin X. Drosophila glypicans control the cell-to-cell movement of Hedgehog by a dynamin-independent process. Development. 2004;131:601-11 pubmed..We show that Dally and Dally-like (Dly), two Drosophila glypican members of the heparan sulphate proteoglycan (HSPG) family, are the substrates of Ttv and ..
- Kirkpatrick C, Dimitroff B, Rawson J, Selleck S. Spatial regulation of Wingless morphogen distribution and signaling by Dally-like protein. Dev Cell. 2004;7:513-23 pubmed..Several lines of evidence implicate heparan sulfate-modified proteoglycans (HSPGs) such as Dally-like protein (Dlp) in the control of Wg distribution and signaling...
- Franch Marro X, Marchand O, Piddini E, Ricardo S, Alexandre C, Vincent J. Glypicans shunt the Wingless signal between local signalling and further transport. Development. 2005;132:659-66 pubmed..Thus, Dally-like act as a gatekeeper, ensuring the sharing of Wingless among cells along the dorsoventral axis. Our analysis suggests that the other glypican, Dally, could act as a classical co-receptor. ..
- Marois E, Mahmoud A, Eaton S. The endocytic pathway and formation of the Wingless morphogen gradient. Development. 2006;133:307-17 pubmed..Thus, subcellular localization of Wingless along the apical-basal axis of receiving cells may be instrumental in shaping the Wingless gradient. ..
- Yao S, Lum L, Beachy P. The ihog cell-surface proteins bind Hedgehog and mediate pathway activation. Cell. 2006;125:343-57 pubmed
- Dani N, Nahm M, Lee S, Broadie K. A targeted glycan-related gene screen reveals heparan sulfate proteoglycan sulfation regulates WNT and BMP trans-synaptic signaling. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1003031 pubmed publisher..Genetic correction of the altered WNT/BMP signaling restores normal synaptic development in both mutant conditions, proving that altered trans-synaptic signaling causes functional differentiation defects. ..
- Kim M, Saunders A, Hamaoka B, Beachy P, Leahy D. Structure of the protein core of the glypican Dally-like and localization of a region important for hedgehog signaling. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:13112-7 pubmed publisher..4-Å crystal structure of the N-terminal protein core region of the Drosophila glypican Dally-like (Dlp)...
- Zhang Y, You J, Ren W, Lin X. Drosophila glypicans Dally and Dally-like are essential regulators for JAK/STAT signaling and Unpaired distribution in eye development. Dev Biol. 2013;375:23-32 pubmed publisher..of tout-velu (Botv), Sulfateless (Sfl), or glypicans Division abnormally delayed (Dally) and Dally-like protein (Dlp) led to reduced levels of extracellular Upd and reduction in JAK/STAT signaling activity...
- Wu Y, Belenkaya T, Lin X. Dual roles of Drosophila glypican Dally-like in Wingless/Wnt signaling and distribution. Methods Enzymol. 2010;480:33-50 pubmed publisher..There are two members of Drosophila glypicans named division abnormally delayed (Dally) and Dally-like (Dlp). To study the functions of these two glypicans in development, we have generated the null mutants of dally and dlp...
- Giraldez A, Copley R, Cohen S. HSPG modification by the secreted enzyme Notum shapes the Wingless morphogen gradient. Dev Cell. 2002;2:667-76 pubmed..High levels of Wingless signaling induce Notum expression. Thus, Wingless contributes to shaping its own gradient by regulating expression of a protein that modifies its interaction with cell surface proteoglycans. ..
- Johnson K, Ghose A, Epstein E, Lincecum J, O Connor M, Van Vactor D. Axonal heparan sulfate proteoglycans regulate the distribution and efficiency of the repellent slit during midline axon guidance. Curr Biol. 2004;14:499-504 pubmed..when we compare the function of the transmembrane Sdc to a different class of HSPG that localizes to CNS axons (Dallylike), we find functional redundancy, suggesting that these proteoglycans act as spatially specific carriers of ..
- Glise B, Miller C, Crozatier M, Halbisen M, Wise S, Olson D, et al. Shifted, the Drosophila ortholog of Wnt inhibitory factor-1, controls the distribution and movement of Hedgehog. Dev Cell. 2005;8:255-66 pubmed..Our data further indicate that Shf interacts with Hh and the heparan sulfate proteoglycans. Therefore, we propose that Shf stabilizes the interaction between Hh and the proteoglycans, an unexpected role for a member of the WIF-1 family. ..
- Khare N, Baumgartner S. Dally-like protein, a new Drosophila glypican with expression overlapping with wingless. Mech Dev. 2000;99:199-202 pubmed..Here, we report a new Drosophila glypican, dally-like protein (dlp) with all the features of a glypican. Based on expression studies we report its colocalisation with Wg.
- Nakato H, Kimata K. Heparan sulfate fine structure and specificity of proteoglycan functions. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2002;1573:312-8 pubmed..In this review, we focus on the molecular basis of growth factor control by the sulfation status of heparan sulfate. ..
- Ren Y, Kirkpatrick C, Rawson J, Sun M, Selleck S. Cell type-specific requirements for heparan sulfate biosynthesis at the Drosophila neuromuscular junction: effects on synapse function, membrane trafficking, and mitochondrial localization. J Neurosci. 2009;29:8539-50 pubmed publisher..Our data support the emerging view that HSPG functions are not limited to the cell surface and matrix environments, but also affect a diverse set of cellular processes including membrane trafficking and organelle distributions. ..
- Solis G, Lüchtenborg A, Katanaev V. Wnt secretion and gradient formation. Int J Mol Sci. 2013;14:5130-45 pubmed publisher..We further discuss these processes in the context of human breast cancer. A better understanding of these phenomena may be relevant for identification of novel drug targets and therapeutic strategies. ..
- Gorfinkiel N, Sierra J, Callejo A, Ibañez C, Guerrero I. The Drosophila ortholog of the human Wnt inhibitor factor Shifted controls the diffusion of lipid-modified Hedgehog. Dev Cell. 2005;8:241-53 pubmed..We also show that human WIF inhibits Wg signaling in Drosophila without affecting the Hh pathway, indicating that different WIF family members might have divergent functions in each pathway. ..
- Han C, Yan D, Belenkaya T, Lin X. Drosophila glypicans Dally and Dally-like shape the extracellular Wingless morphogen gradient in the wing disc. Development. 2005;132:667-79 pubmed..Here, we systematically analyzed the roles of glypicans Dally and Dally-like protein (Dlp), the Wg receptors Frizzled (Fz) and Fz2, and the Wg co-receptor Arrow (Arr) in Wg gradient formation in the wing ..
- Hufnagel L, Kreuger J, Cohen S, Shraiman B. On the role of glypicans in the process of morphogen gradient formation. Dev Biol. 2006;300:512-22 pubmed..with glypicans is formulated, analyzed and compared with measurements of the effect of glypican Dally-like (Dlp) overexpression on Wingless (Wg) morphogen signaling in Drosophila melanogaster wing imaginal discs...
- Wendler F, Franch Marro X, Vincent J. How does cholesterol affect the way Hedgehog works?. Development. 2006;133:3055-61 pubmed..However, the absence of the cholesterol adduct affects the spread of Hh within tissues. As we discuss here, the exact nature of this effect is controversial. ..
- Hayashi Y, Sexton T, Dejima K, Perry D, Takemura M, Kobayashi S, et al. Glypicans regulate JAK/STAT signaling and distribution of the Unpaired morphogen. Development. 2012;139:4162-71 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we establish the follicular epithelium as a new model for morphogen signaling in complex organ development. ..
- Johnson K, Tenney A, Ghose A, Duckworth A, Higashi M, Parfitt K, et al. The HSPGs Syndecan and Dallylike bind the receptor phosphatase LAR and exert distinct effects on synaptic development. Neuron. 2006;49:517-31 pubmed..We show that the Drosophila heparan sulfate proteoglycans (HSPGs) Syndecan (Sdc) and Dallylike (Dlp) are synaptic proteins necessary to control distinct aspects of synaptic biology...
- Baeg G, Perrimon N. Functional binding of secreted molecules to heparan sulfate proteoglycans in Drosophila. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 2000;12:575-80 pubmed
- Kleinschmit A, Koyama T, Dejima K, Hayashi Y, Kamimura K, Nakato H. Drosophila heparan sulfate 6-O endosulfatase regulates Wingless morphogen gradient formation. Dev Biol. 2010;345:204-14 pubmed publisher..Thus, Sulf1 participates in a feedback loop, potentially stabilizing the shape of the Wg gradient. Our study shows that the modification of HS fine structure provides a novel mechanism for the regulation of morphogen gradients. ..
- Yan D, Wu Y, Feng Y, Lin S, Lin X. The core protein of glypican Dally-like determines its biphasic activity in wingless morphogen signaling. Dev Cell. 2009;17:470-81 pubmed publisherDally-like (Dlp) is a glypican-type heparan sulfate proteoglycan (HSPG), containing a protein core and attached glycosaminoglycan (GAG) chains...
- Guo Z, Wang Z. The glypican Dally is required in the niche for the maintenance of germline stem cells and short-range BMP signaling in the Drosophila ovary. Development. 2009;136:3627-35 pubmed publisher..We propose that Dally ensures high-level BMP signaling in the ovarian niche and thus female GSC determination. ..
- Kreuger J, Perez L, Giraldez A, Cohen S. Opposing activities of Dally-like glypican at high and low levels of Wingless morphogen activity. Dev Cell. 2004;7:503-12 pubmed..Here, we examine the role of the glypican Dally-like protein (Dlp) in shaping the Wingless gradient in the Drosophila wing disc...
- Eugster C, Panàkovà D, Mahmoud A, Eaton S. Lipoprotein-heparan sulfate interactions in the Hh pathway. Dev Cell. 2007;13:57-71 pubmed..They further suggest that the complement of proteins present on lipoprotein particles can regulate the activity of morphogens. ..
- Serpe M, Umulis D, Ralston A, Chen J, Olson D, Avanesov A, et al. The BMP-binding protein Crossveinless 2 is a short-range, concentration-dependent, biphasic modulator of BMP signaling in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2008;14:940-53 pubmed publisher..We also find that Cv-2 expression is controlled by BMP signaling, and these combined properties enable Cv-2 to exquisitely tune BMP signaling. ..
- Friedman S, Dani N, Rushton E, Broadie K. Fragile X mental retardation protein regulates trans-synaptic signaling in Drosophila. Dis Model Mech. 2013;6:1400-13 pubmed publisher..strong elevation of two synaptic heparan sulfate proteoglycans (HSPGs): GPI-anchored glypican Dally-like protein (Dlp) and transmembrane Syndecan (Sdc)...
- Bischoff M, Gradilla A, Seijo I, AndrÃ©s G, RodrÃguez Navas C, GonzÃ¡lez MÃ©ndez L, et al. Cytonemes are required for the establishment of a normal Hedgehog morphogen gradient in Drosophila epithelia. Nat Cell Biol. 2013;15:1269-81 pubmed publisher..Indeed, mutant conditions that affect cytoneme formation reduce both cytoneme length and Hh gradient length. Our results suggest that cytoneme-mediated Hh transport is the mechanistic basis for Hh gradient formation. ..
- Dejima K, Takemura M, Nakato E, Peterson J, Hayashi Y, Kinoshita Toyoda A, et al. Analysis of Drosophila glucuronyl C5-epimerase: implications for developmental roles of heparan sulfate sulfation compensation and 2-O-sulfated glucuronic acid. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:34384-93 pubmed publisher..Finally, we show that Hsepi formed a complex with Hs2st and Hs6st in S2 cells, raising the possibility that this complex formation contributes to the close functional relationships between these enzymes. ..
- Dear M, Dani N, Parkinson W, Zhou S, Broadie K. Two classes of matrix metalloproteinases reciprocally regulate synaptogenesis. Development. 2016;143:75-87 pubmed publisher..synaptogenesis, including the GPI-anchored heparan sulfate proteoglycan (HSPG) Wnt co-receptor Dally-like protein (Dlp), cognate receptor Frizzled-2 (Frz2) and Wingless (Wg) ligand...
- Lum L, Beachy P. The Hedgehog response network: sensors, switches, and routers. Science. 2004;304:1755-9 pubmed
- Jumbo Lucioni P, Parkinson W, Broadie K. Overelaborated synaptic architecture and reduced synaptomatrix glycosylation in a Drosophila classic galactosemia disease model. Dis Model Mech. 2014;7:1365-78 pubmed publisher..These results reveal synaptomatrix glycosylation losses, altered trans-synaptic signaling pathway components, defective synaptogenesis and impaired coordinated movement in a CG neurological disease model. ..
- Liu M, Lim T, Cai Y. The Drosophila female germline stem cell lineage acts to spatially restrict DPP function within the niche. Sci Signal. 2010;3:ra57 pubmed publisher..Thus, our data reveal that the reciprocal crosstalk between the GSCs and the somatic cells defines the spatial limits of DPP action and therefore the extent of the GSC niche. ..
- Fromental Ramain C, Ramain P, Hamiche A. The Drosophila DAXX-Like Protein (DLP) Cooperates with ASF1 for H3.3 Deposition and Heterochromatin Formation. Mol Cell Biol. 2017;37: pubmed publisher..Here, we investigated the function of the Drosophila DAXX-like protein (DLP) by using both fly genetic approaches and protein biochemistry. DLP specifically interacts with H3...
- Hartman T, Ventresca E, Hopkins A, Zinshteyn D, Singh T, O Brien J, et al. Novel tools for genetic manipulation of follicle stem cells in the Drosophila ovary reveal an integrin-dependent transition from quiescence to proliferation. Genetics. 2015;199:935-57 pubmed publisher..These methods may be used to define precise roles for specific genes in the sequential events that occur during FSC division after a period of quiescence. ..
- Kim N, Min K, Kang K, Lee E, Kim H, Moon K, et al. Regulation of retinal axon growth by secreted Vax1 homeodomain protein. elife. 2014;3:e02671 pubmed publisher..Together, our findings demonstrate that Vax1 possesses a novel RGC axon growth factor activity that is critical for the development of the mammalian binocular visual system. ..
- Vincent J, Dubois L. Morphogen transport along epithelia, an integrated trafficking problem. Dev Cell. 2002;3:615-23 pubmed..The question of how this is achieved has aroused the interest of many cell biologically minded developmental biologists. ..
- Vyas N, Goswami D, Manonmani A, Sharma P, Ranganath H, Vijayraghavan K, et al. Nanoscale organization of hedgehog is essential for long-range signaling. Cell. 2008;133:1214-27 pubmed publisher..Thus, Hh exhibits a hierarchical organization from the nanoscale to visible clusters with distinct functions. ..
- Wu L, Gao L, Hou X, Zhang Q, Li S, Yang Y, et al. Drosophila miR-5 suppresses Hedgehog signaling by directly targeting Smoothened. FEBS Lett. 2012;586:4052-60 pubmed publisher..Together, our results indicate that miR-5 can specifically suppress Hh signaling by directly targeting Smo in Drosophila. ..
- Choo S, White R, Russell S. Genome-wide analysis of the binding of the Hox protein Ultrabithorax and the Hox cofactor Homothorax in Drosophila. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e14778 pubmed publisher..Overall, we define a set of direct Ubx targets in the haltere imaginal disc and suggest that chromatin accessibility has important implications for Hox target selection and for transcription factor binding in general. ..
- Huang H, Kornberg T. Cells must express components of the planar cell polarity system and extracellular matrix to support cytonemes. elife. 2016;5: pubmed publisher..cytonemes normally navigate through extracellular matrix (ECM) composed of collagen, laminin, Dally and Dally-like (Dlp) proteins that are stratified in layers over the disc cells...
- Rawson J, Dimitroff B, Johnson K, Rawson J, Ge X, Van Vactor D, et al. The heparan sulfate proteoglycans Dally-like and Syndecan have distinct functions in axon guidance and visual-system assembly in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2005;15:833-8 pubmed..We demonstrate here that the Drosophila glypican Dally-like protein (Dlp) is required for proper axon guidance and visual-system function...
- Port F, Hausmann G, Basler K. A genome-wide RNA interference screen uncovers two p24 proteins as regulators of Wingless secretion. EMBO Rep. 2011;12:1144-52 pubmed publisher..Of these, Emp24 and Eclair are required for proper export of Wg from the endoplasmic reticulum (ER). We propose that Emp24 and Eca act as specific cargo receptors for Wg to concentrate it in forming vesicles at sites of ER export. ..
- Desbordes S, Chandraratna D, Sanson B. A screen for genes regulating the wingless gradient in Drosophila embryos. Genetics. 2005;170:749-66 pubmed..Thus, our assay can be used effectively to screen for genes regulating Wingless distribution or transport. ..
- Kakugawa S, Langton P, Zebisch M, Howell S, Chang T, Liu Y, et al. Notum deacylates Wnt proteins to suppress signalling activity. Nature. 2015;519:187-192 pubmed publisher..Kinetic and mass spectrometric analyses of human proteins show that Notum is a carboxylesterase that removes an essential palmitoleate moiety from Wnt proteins and thus constitutes the first known extracellular protein deacylase. ..
- Su V, Jones K, Brodsky M, The I. Quantitative analysis of Hedgehog gradient formation using an inducible expression system. BMC Dev Biol. 2007;7:43 pubmed..We also conclude that cholesterol modification is required for formation of a specific subset of Hh particles that are both cytoplasmic and not associated with the receptor Ptc. ..
- Williams E, Pappano W, Saunders A, Kim M, Leahy D, Beachy P. Dally-like core protein and its mammalian homologues mediate stimulatory and inhibitory effects on Hedgehog signal response. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:5869-74 pubmed publisher..We report that the unmodified core protein of Dally-like (Dlp), an HSPG required for cell-autonomous Hh response in Drosophila embryos, alone suffices to rescue embryonic Hh ..
- Cho J, Chak K, Andreone B, Wooley J, Kolodkin A. The extracellular matrix proteoglycan perlecan facilitates transmembrane semaphorin-mediated repulsive guidance. Genes Dev. 2012;26:2222-35 pubmed publisher..Therefore, perlecan is required for Sema-1a-PlexA-mediated repulsive guidance, revealing roles for extracellular matrix proteoglycans in modulating transmembrane guidance cue signaling during neural development. ..
- Kornberg T. The contrasting roles of primary cilia and cytonemes in Hh signaling. Dev Biol. 2014;394:1-5 pubmed publisher..Implicit in this model is the idea that initial binding and uptake of Hh is independent of and segregated from the processes of signal transduction and activation. ..
- Selva E, Hong K, Baeg G, Beverley S, Turco S, Perrimon N, et al. Dual role of the fringe connection gene in both heparan sulphate and fringe-dependent signalling events. Nat Cell Biol. 2001;3:809-15 pubmed..Embryos with the frc mutation display defects in Wingless, Hedgehog and fibroblast growth factor signalling. Clonal analysis shows that fringe-dependent Notch signalling is disrupted in frc mutant tissue. ..
- Wang P, Chang W, Pai L. Smiling Gurken gradient: An expansion of the Gurken gradient. Fly (Austin). 2008;2:118-20 pubmed..We have shown that overexpression of Dally-like protein (Dlp) causes an expansion of Gurken distribution and a loss of cell fates which are specified by high levels of ..
- Wojcinski A, Nakato H, Soula C, Glise B. DSulfatase-1 fine-tunes Hedgehog patterning activity through a novel regulatory feedback loop. Dev Biol. 2011;358:168-80 pubmed publisher..Our data reveal a novel Hh regulatory feedback loop, involving DSulf1, which contributes to maintain and stabilise expression domains of Hh target genes during wing disc development. ..
- Han C, Lin X. Shifted from Wnt to Hedgehog signaling pathways. Mol Cell. 2005;17:321-2 pubmed..2005; Gorfinkiel et al. 2005) have shown that Shifted, a Drosophila ortholog of Wnt Inhibitory Factor (WIF), modulates the distribution of Hedgehog protein in the wing imaginal disc through a Wnt-independent mechanism. ..
- Chang Y, Wang Z, Flax L, Xu D, Esko J, Nizet V, et al. Glycosaminoglycan binding facilitates entry of a bacterial pathogen into central nervous systems. PLoS Pathog. 2011;7:e1002082 pubmed publisher..Our results also highlight how the simpler yet genetically conserved Drosophila GAG pathways can provide a model organism to screen candidate molecules that can interrupt pathogen-GAG interactions for future therapeutic applications. ..
- Perrimon N, Bernfield M. Specificities of heparan sulphate proteoglycans in developmental processes. Nature. 2000;404:725-8 pubmed
- Vuilleumier R, Springhorn A, Patterson L, Koidl S, Hammerschmidt M, Affolter M, et al. Control of Dpp morphogen signalling by a secreted feedback regulator. Nat Cell Biol. 2010;12:611-7 pubmed publisher..We show that Pent interacts with the glypican Dally to control Dpp distribution and provide evidence that proper establishment of the BMP morphogen gradient requires the inbuilt feedback loop embodied by Pent. ..