Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: dlg1
Description: discs large 1
Alias: CG1725, CG1730, CPD, DLG, DLG-A, DLG1, Discs-large, Dlg, Dlg-A, Dlg1, DlgA, DlgS97, Dmel\CG1725, Drodlg, PSD-95, PSD95, SAP97, anon-EST:Posey93, anon-WO03040301.258, anon-WO03040301.260, anon-WO03040301.268, d. lg.-1, dlg, dlg-1, dlg-A, dlgA, dlgS97, l(1)10Bf, l(1)G0276, l(1)G0342, l(1)G0456, l(1)G19, l(1)L11, l(1)bwn, l(1)d.lg-1, l(1)d.lg.-1, l(1)discs large, l(1)dlg, l(1)dlg-1, l(1)dlg1, l(1)l.pr.-2, l(1)lpr-2, misb, discs large 1, CG1725-PA, CG1725-PB, CG1725-PC, CG1725-PD, CG1725-PE, CG1725-PF, CG1725-PG, CG1725-PH, CG1725-PI, CG1725-PJ, CG1725-PK, CG1725-PL, CG1725-PM, CG1725-PN, CG1725-PO, CG1725-PP, CG1725-PQ, CG1725-PR, CG1725-PS, CG1725-PT, CG1725-PU, Disc-Large, Discs-large, disc large, disclarge, discs large, discslarge, disk large, dlg1-PA, dlg1-PB, dlg1-PC, dlg1-PD, dlg1-PE, dlg1-PF, dlg1-PG, dlg1-PH, dlg1-PI, dlg1-PJ, dlg1-PK, dlg1-PL, dlg1-PM, dlg1-PN, dlg1-PO, dlg1-PP, dlg1-PQ, dlg1-PR, dlg1-PS, dlg1-PT, dlg1-PU, lethal(1)benign wing imaginal disc neoplasm, lethal(1)discs large, lethal(1)discs-large, lethal(2)discs large
Species: fruit fly
- Laplante C, Paul S, Beitel G, Nilson L. Echinoid regulates tracheal morphology and fusion cell fate in Drosophila. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:2509-19 pubmed publisher..Tracheal-specific expression of Ed rescues these fusion defects, indicating that Ed acts in trachea to control fusion cell fate. ..
- Rushton E, Rohrbough J, Deutsch K, Broadie K. Structure-function analysis of endogenous lectin mind-the-gap in synaptogenesis. Dev Neurobiol. 2012;72:1161-79 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the MTG lectin has both positive and negative binding interactions with glycans in the extracellular synaptic domain, which both facilitate and limit GluR localization during NMJ embryonic synaptogenesis. ..
- Zhao B, Wei X, Li W, Udan R, Yang Q, Kim J, et al. Inactivation of YAP oncoprotein by the Hippo pathway is involved in cell contact inhibition and tissue growth control. Genes Dev. 2007;21:2747-61 pubmed..Our observations demonstrate that YAP plays a key role in the Hippo pathway to control cell proliferation in response to cell contact. ..
- Wang Y, Riechmann V. The role of the actomyosin cytoskeleton in coordination of tissue growth during Drosophila oogenesis. Curr Biol. 2007;17:1349-55 pubmed..Myosin is activated at the apical cortex by localized Rho kinase and inhibited at the basolateral cortex by PP1beta9C. In addition, our data indicate that active myosin is apically anchored by the Baz/Par-6/aPKC complex. ..
- Menut L, Vaccari T, Dionne H, Hill J, Wu G, Bilder D. A mosaic genetic screen for Drosophila neoplastic tumor suppressor genes based on defective pupation. Genetics. 2007;177:1667-77 pubmed..The isolation of additional loci that affect hyperplastic as well as neoplastic growth indicates the utility of this screening strategy for studying epithelial growth control. ..
- Kumar V, Fricke R, Bhar D, Reddy Alla S, Krishnan K, Bogdan S, et al. Syndapin promotes formation of a postsynaptic membrane system in Drosophila. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:2254-64 pubmed publisher..Syndapin can expand the SSR in the absence of dPAK and Dlg, two known regulators of SSR development...
- Laprise P, Paul S, Boulanger J, Robbins R, Beitel G, Tepass U. Epithelial polarity proteins regulate Drosophila tracheal tube size in parallel to the luminal matrix pathway. Curr Biol. 2010;20:55-61 pubmed publisher..Together, these data indicate that Yrt, Cora, Crb, and Scrib operate independently of the Verm pathway. Our data support a model in which Cora and Yrt act through Crb to regulate epithelial tube size. ..
- Ho Y, Lien M, Lin C, Wei S, Chang L, Hsu J. Echinoid regulates Flamingo endocytosis to control ommatidial rotation in the Drosophila eye. Development. 2010;137:745-54 pubmed publisher..Thus, co-endocytosis of Ed and Fmi provides a link between apicobasal polarity and PCP. ..
- BACHMANN A, Kobler O, Kittel R, Wichmann C, Sierralta J, Sigrist S, et al. A perisynaptic ménage à trois between Dlg, DLin-7, and Metro controls proper organization of Drosophila synaptic junctions. J Neurosci. 2010;30:5811-24 pubmed publisher..At Drosophila larval glutamatergic neuromuscular junctions (NMJs) DlgA and DlgS97 exert pleiotropic functions, probably reflecting a few known and a number of yet-unknown binding partners...
- Klose S, Flores Benitez D, Riedel F, Knust E. Fosmid-based structure-function analysis reveals functionally distinct domains in the cytoplasmic domain of Drosophila crumbs. G3 (Bethesda). 2013;3:153-65 pubmed publisher..e., protein 4.1/ezrin/radixin/moesin)-binding and a PDZ (i.e., postsynaptic density/discs large/ZO-1)-binding domain...
- Homem C, Peifer M. Diaphanous regulates myosin and adherens junctions to control cell contractility and protrusive behavior during morphogenesis. Development. 2008;135:1005-18 pubmed publisher..These effects also are mediated through coordinated effects on myosin activity and adhesion, suggesting a common mechanism for Diaphanous action during morphogenesis. ..
- Colombani J, Andersen D, Leopold P. Secreted peptide Dilp8 coordinates Drosophila tissue growth with developmental timing. Science. 2012;336:582-5 pubmed publisher..We propose that Dilp8 peptide is a secreted signal that coordinates the growth status of tissues with developmental timing. ..
- Cao J, Albertson R, Riggs B, Field C, Sullivan W. Nuf, a Rab11 effector, maintains cytokinetic furrow integrity by promoting local actin polymerization. J Cell Biol. 2008;182:301-13 pubmed publisher..We propose a model in which RE-derived vesicles promote furrow integrity by regulating the rate of actin polymerization through the RhoGEF2-Rho1 pathway. ..
- Nagaraj R, Banerjee U. Combinatorial signaling in the specification of primary pigment cells in the Drosophila eye. Development. 2007;134:825-31 pubmed..Combined with previous work, these data show that unique combinations of only two pathways--Notch and EGFR--can specify at least five different cell types within the Drosophila eye. ..
- Ramachandran P, Barria R, Ashley J, Budnik V. A critical step for postsynaptic F-actin organization: regulation of Baz/Par-3 localization by aPKC and PTEN. Dev Neurobiol. 2009;69:583-602 pubmed publisher..Given the conservation of these proteins from worms to mammals, these results are likely to provide new insight into actin organization pathways. (c) 2009 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. Develop Neurobiol 2009. ..
- Korkut C, Ataman B, Ramachandran P, Ashley J, Barria R, Gherbesi N, et al. Trans-synaptic transmission of vesicular Wnt signals through Evi/Wntless. Cell. 2009;139:393-404 pubmed publisher..For a video summary of this article, see the PaperFlick file with the Supplemental Data available online. ..
- Gorczyca D, Ashley J, Speese S, Gherbesi N, Thomas U, Gundelfinger E, et al. Postsynaptic membrane addition depends on the Discs-Large-interacting t-SNARE Gtaxin. J Neurosci. 2007;27:1033-44 pubmed..Postsynaptic GTX activity depends on its direct interaction with Discs-Large (DLG), a multidomain scaffolding protein of the PSD-95 (postsynaptic density protein-95) family with key roles in cell ..
- Rodahl L, Haglund K, Sem Jacobsen C, Wendler F, Vincent J, Lindmo K, et al. Disruption of Vps4 and JNK function in Drosophila causes tumour growth. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e4354 pubmed publisher..We conclude that dvps4 is a tumour suppressor in Drosophila and that JNK is central to the cell-autonomous phenotypes of ESCRT-deficient cells. ..
- Wandler A, Guillemin K. Transgenic expression of the Helicobacter pylori virulence factor CagA promotes apoptosis or tumorigenesis through JNK activation in Drosophila. PLoS Pathog. 2012;8:e1002939 pubmed publisher..These data suggest a potential role for CagA-mediated JNK pathway activation in promoting gastric cancer progression. ..
- Lee M, Paik S, Lee M, Kim Y, Kim S, Nahm M, et al. Drosophila Atlastin regulates the stability of muscle microtubules and is required for synapse development. Dev Biol. 2009;330:250-62 pubmed publisher..of Atl also disrupts ER and Golgi morphogenesis in muscles and reduces the synaptic levels of the scaffold proteins Dlg and alpha-spectrin...
- Seppa M, Johnson R, Bao S, Cagan R. Polychaetoid controls patterning by modulating adhesion in the Drosophila pupal retina. Dev Biol. 2008;318:1-16 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that Pyd modulates adherens junction strength and Roughest-mediated preferential cell adhesion. ..
- Letizia A, Sotillos S, Campuzano S, Llimargas M. Regulated Crb accumulation controls apical constriction and invagination in Drosophila tracheal cells. J Cell Sci. 2011;124:240-51 pubmed publisher..This hypothesis is supported by the phenotype of lethal giant larvae (lgl); crb double mutants. These results unveil a link between Crb and the organisation of the actin cytoskeleton during morphogenesis. ..
- Courbard J, Djiane A, Wu J, Mlodzik M. The apical/basal-polarity determinant Scribble cooperates with the PCP core factor Stbm/Vang and functions as one of its effectors. Dev Biol. 2009;333:67-77 pubmed publisher..We define a scribble allele that is largely PCP specific. Our data show that Scribble is part of the Stbm/Vang PCP complex and further suggest that it might act as an effector of Stbm/Vang during PCP establishment. ..
- Grzeschik N, Amin N, Secombe J, Brumby A, Richardson H. Abnormalities in cell proliferation and apico-basal cell polarity are separable in Drosophila lgl mutant clones in the developing eye. Dev Biol. 2007;311:106-23 pubmed
- Sulkowski M, Kim Y, Serpe M. Postsynaptic glutamate receptors regulate local BMP signaling at the Drosophila neuromuscular junction. Development. 2014;141:436-47 pubmed publisher..Thus, synaptic pMad functions as a local sensor for NMJ synapse activity and has the potential to coordinate synaptic activity with a BMP retrograde signal required for synapse growth and homeostasis. ..
- Zhou W, Hong Y. Drosophila Patj plays a supporting role in apical-basal polarity but is essential for viability. Development. 2012;139:2891-6 pubmed publisher..In addition, our results confirm that dPatj possesses an as yet unidentified function that is essential for pupal development. ..
- Pope K, Harris T. Control of cell flattening and junctional remodeling during squamous epithelial morphogenesis in Drosophila. Development. 2008;135:2227-38 pubmed publisher..Genetic analysis revealed that Myosin II and Bazooka cooperate to properly position adherens junctions. These results identify a specific cellular mechanism of squamous tissue morphogenesis and molecular interactions involved. ..
- Coffee R, Tessier C, Woodruff E, Broadie K. Fragile X mental retardation protein has a unique, evolutionarily conserved neuronal function not shared with FXR1P or FXR2P. Dis Model Mech. 2010;3:471-85 pubmed publisher..We conclude that FMR1 has a neural-specific function that is distinct from its paralogs, and that the unique FMR1 function is responsible for regulating neuronal protein expression and synaptic connectivity...
- Horne Badovinac S, Bilder D. Dynein regulates epithelial polarity and the apical localization of stardust A mRNA. PLoS Genet. 2008;4:e8 pubmed publisher..Moreover, we introduce a unique mechanism in which alternative splicing of a coding exon is used to control mRNA localization during development. ..
- Harris T, Peifer M. aPKC controls microtubule organization to balance adherens junction symmetry and planar polarity during development. Dev Cell. 2007;12:727-38 pubmed..aPKC apparently regulates this balance. Without aPKC, abnormally strong microtubule interactions break AJ symmetry and epithelial structure is lost. ..
- BACHMANN A, Grawe F, Johnson K, Knust E. Drosophila Lin-7 is a component of the Crumbs complex in epithelia and photoreceptor cells and prevents light-induced retinal degeneration. Eur J Cell Biol. 2008;87:123-36 pubmed publisher..the Crumbs complex, DLin-7 is also enriched in the first optic ganglion, the lamina, where it co-localizes with Discs large, another member of the MAGUK family...
- Genevet A, Polesello C, Blight K, Robertson F, Collinson L, Pichaud F, et al. The Hippo pathway regulates apical-domain size independently of its growth-control function. J Cell Sci. 2009;122:2360-70 pubmed publisher..Therefore, Hippo signalling controls growth and apical domain size by distinct mechanisms. ..
- Marcette J, Hood I, Johnston C, Doe C, Prehoda K. Allosteric control of regulated scaffolding in membrane-associated guanylate kinases. Biochemistry. 2009;48:10014-9 pubmed publisher..To gain insight into this process, we investigated SH3 regulation of the Discs large (Dlg) GK...
- Wang S, Yang J, Tsai A, Kuca T, Sanny J, Lee J, et al. Drosophila adducin regulates Dlg phosphorylation and targeting of Dlg to the synapse and epithelial membrane. Dev Biol. 2011;357:392-403 pubmed publisher..is localized to the post-synaptic larval neuromuscular junction (NMJ) in a complex with the scaffolding protein Discs large (Dlg), a regulator of synaptic plasticity during growth of the NMJ...
- Wee B, Johnston C, Prehoda K, Doe C. Canoe binds RanGTP to promote Pins(TPR)/Mud-mediated spindle orientation. J Cell Biol. 2011;195:369-76 pubmed publisher..We show that the Canoe Ras-association (RA) domains directly bind RanGTP and that both the Canoe(RA) domains and RanGTP are required to recruit Mud to the cortex and activate the Pins/Mud/dynein spindle orientation pathway. ..
- Parisi F, Stefanatos R, Strathdee K, Yu Y, Vidal M. Transformed epithelia trigger non-tissue-autonomous tumor suppressor response by adipocytes via activation of Toll and Eiger/TNF signaling. Cell Rep. 2014;6:855-67 pubmed publisher..Altogether, our results provide a paradigm for a long-range tumor suppression function of adipocytes in Drosophila, which may represent an evolutionarily conserved mechanism in the organismal response to solid tumors. ..
- Banerjee S, Bainton R, Mayer N, Beckstead R, Bhat M. Septate junctions are required for ommatidial integrity and blood-eye barrier function in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2008;317:585-99 pubmed publisher..Our studies may provide clues towards understanding the vertebrate BEB formation and function. ..
- Siller S, Broadie K. Neural circuit architecture defects in a Drosophila model of Fragile X syndrome are alleviated by minocycline treatment and genetic removal of matrix metalloproteinase. Dis Model Mech. 2011;4:673-85 pubmed publisher..These results support minocycline as a promising potential FXS treatment and suggest that it might act via MMP inhibition. We conclude that FMRP and TIMP pathways interact in a reciprocal, bidirectional manner...
- Nakajima Y, Meyer E, Kroesen A, McKinney S, Gibson M. Epithelial junctions maintain tissue architecture by directing planar spindle orientation. Nature. 2013;500:359-62 pubmed publisher..demonstrate that the actomyosin cortex and the junction-localized neoplastic tumour suppressors Scribbled and Discs large 1 have essential roles in planar spindle alignment and thus the control of epithelial integrity in the ..
- Narasimha M, Uv A, Krejci A, Brown N, Bray S. Grainy head promotes expression of septate junction proteins and influences epithelial morphogenesis. J Cell Sci. 2008;121:747-52 pubmed publisher..The fact that ectopic Grh arrests dorsal closure also suggests that this dynamic process relies on epithelia having distinct adhesive properties conferred by differential deployment of Grh. ..
- David D, Tishkina A, Harris T. The PAR complex regulates pulsed actomyosin contractions during amnioserosa apical constriction in Drosophila. Development. 2010;137:1645-55 pubmed publisher..These results identify the mechanics of actomyosin contractility that drive amnioserosa apical constriction and how specific steps of the contractile mechanism are regulated by the PAR complex...
- Besse F, Mertel S, Kittel R, Wichmann C, Rasse T, Sigrist S, et al. The Ig cell adhesion molecule Basigin controls compartmentalization and vesicle release at Drosophila melanogaster synapses. J Cell Biol. 2007;177:843-55 pubmed..We thus propose that Bsg is part of a transsynaptic complex regulating synaptic compartmentalization and strength, and coordinating plasma membrane and cortical organization. ..
- Ratnaparkhi A, Lawless G, Schweizer F, GOLSHANI P, Jackson G. A Drosophila model of ALS: human ALS-associated mutation in VAP33A suggests a dominant negative mechanism. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e2334 pubmed publisher..This new fly model of ALS, with its robust pathological phenotypes, should for the first time allow the power of unbiased screens in Drosophila to be applied to study of motor neuron diseases. ..
- Simone R, Dinardo S. Actomyosin contractility and Discs large contribute to junctional conversion in guiding cell alignment within the Drosophila embryonic epithelium. Development. 2010;137:1385-94 pubmed publisher..Additionally, we show that non-muscle Myosin II and the polarity proteins Discs large (Dlg) and Bazooka are enriched along cell interfaces in a complex but reproducible pattern that suggests their ..
- Polesello C, Tapon N. Salvador-warts-hippo signaling promotes Drosophila posterior follicle cell maturation downstream of notch. Curr Biol. 2007;17:1864-70 pubmed..The PCP members of the SWH network are not involved in this process, indicating that signaling upstream of Hpo varies according to developmental context. ..
- Roeth J, Sawyer J, Wilner D, Peifer M. Rab11 helps maintain apical crumbs and adherens junctions in the Drosophila embryonic ectoderm. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e7634 pubmed publisher..Tissue morphogenesis and organogenesis require that cells retain stable cell-cell adhesion while changing shape and moving. One mechanism to accommodate this plasticity in cell adhesion involves regulated trafficking of junctional proteins...
- Bergstralh D, Lovegrove H, St Johnston D. Discs large links spindle orientation to apical-basal polarity in Drosophila epithelia. Curr Biol. 2013;23:1707-12 pubmed publisher..Instead, spindle orientation requires the lateral factor Discs large (Dlg), a function that is separable from its role in epithelial polarity...
- Khuong T, Habets R, Slabbaert J, Verstreken P. WASP is activated by phosphatidylinositol-4,5-bisphosphate to restrict synapse growth in a pathway parallel to bone morphogenetic protein signaling. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:17379-84 pubmed publisher..We propose a model in which PI(4,5)P(2)- and WSP-mediated signaling at presynaptic termini controls actin-dependent synapse growth in a pathway at least in part in parallel to synaptic BMP signaling. ..
- Mendoza Topaz C, Urra F, Barria R, Albornoz V, Ugalde D, Thomas U, et al. DLGS97/SAP97 is developmentally upregulated and is required for complex adult behaviors and synapse morphology and function. J Neurosci. 2008;28:304-14 pubmed publisher..The genome of Drosophila contains only one MAGUK gene, discs large (dlg), from which two major proteins originate: DLGA [PSD95 (postsynaptic density 95)-like] and DLGS97 [SAP97 (..
- Ho L, Wei X, Shimizu T, Lai Z. Mob as tumor suppressor is activated at the cell membrane to control tissue growth and organ size in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2010;337:274-83 pubmed publisher..These results support a model in which the plasma membrane is an important site of action for Mats tumor suppressor to control tissue growth and organ size. ..
- Pan L, Woodruff E, Liang P, Broadie K. Mechanistic relationships between Drosophila fragile X mental retardation protein and metabotropic glutamate receptor A signaling. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2008;37:747-60 pubmed publisher..Null dfmr1 brain neurons similarly display increased presynaptic architectural complexity, which is rescued by blocking mGluR signaling. These data show that DmGluRA and dFMRP convergently regulate presynaptic properties. ..
- Nahm M, Long A, Paik S, Kim S, Bae Y, Broadie K, et al. The Cdc42-selective GAP rich regulates postsynaptic development and retrograde BMP transsynaptic signaling. J Cell Biol. 2010;191:661-75 pubmed publisher..Importantly, dRich increases Gbb release and elevates presynaptic phosphorylated Mad levels. We propose that dRich coordinates the Gbb-dependent modulation of synaptic growth and function with postsynaptic development. ..
- Peng H, Slattery M, Mann R. Transcription factor choice in the Hippo signaling pathway: homothorax and yorkie regulation of the microRNA bantam in the progenitor domain of the Drosophila eye imaginal disc. Genes Dev. 2009;23:2307-19 pubmed publisher..In the eye disc, Hth and Tsh provide spatial information to this pathway, promoting cell proliferation and survival in the progenitor domain. ..
- Mitonaka T, Muramatsu Y, Sugiyama S, Mizuno T, Nishida Y. Essential roles of myosin phosphatase in the maintenance of epithelial cell integrity of Drosophila imaginal disc cells. Dev Biol. 2007;309:78-86 pubmed..The requirement of DMBS for the integrity of static epithelial cells in imaginal discs suggests that the regulation of Myosin II by DMBS has a role more general than its previously demonstrated functions in morphogenetic events. ..
- Szafranski P, Goode S. Basolateral junctions are sufficient to suppress epithelial invasion during Drosophila oogenesis. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:364-73 pubmed..Our results demonstrate that spatiotemporal patterns of basolateral junction activity directly suppress epithelial invasion by organizing the cooperative activity of distinct polarity and motility pathways. ..
- Kaplan N, Liu X, Tolwinski N. Epithelial polarity: interactions between junctions and apical-basal machinery. Genetics. 2009;183:897-904 pubmed publisher..We propose a model where zw3 regulates protein levels of apical and adhesion components and suggest that a reciprocal interaction between junctions and polarity modules functions to maintain stable apical and basolateral domains. ..
- Ball R, Warren Paquin M, Tsurudome K, Liao E, Elazzouzi F, Cavanagh C, et al. Retrograde BMP signaling controls synaptic growth at the NMJ by regulating trio expression in motor neurons. Neuron. 2010;66:536-49 pubmed publisher..Based on our findings, we propose a model in which a retrograde BMP signal from the muscle modulates GTPase activity through transcriptional regulation of Rac GEF trio, thereby regulating the homeostasis of synaptic growth at the NMJ. ..
- Mosca T, Schwarz T. The nuclear import of Frizzled2-C by Importins-beta11 and alpha2 promotes postsynaptic development. Nat Neurosci. 2010;13:935-43 pubmed publisher..importin-beta11 (imp-beta11) and dfz2 mutants had less SSR, and some boutons lacked the postsynaptic marker Discs Large. These developmental defects in imp-beta11 mutants could be overcome by expression of Fz2-C fused to a nuclear ..
- Giagtzoglou N, Lin Y, Haueter C, Bellen H. Importin 13 regulates neurotransmitter release at the Drosophila neuromuscular junction. J Neurosci. 2009;29:5628-39 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, imp13 is required in the muscles to control presynaptic release. Thus, imp13 is a novel factor that affects neurotransmitter release at the fly NMJ. Its role in the context of synaptic homeostasis is discussed. ..
- Lee S, Wang J, Yu W, Lu B. Phospho-dependent ubiquitination and degradation of PAR-1 regulates synaptic morphology and tau-mediated A? toxicity in Drosophila. Nat Commun. 2012;3:1312 pubmed publisher..Our results provide new insights into the regulation of PAR-1 in various physiological processes and offer new therapeutic strategies for diseases involving PAR-1/MARK deregulation. ..
- Franz A, Riechmann V. Stepwise polarisation of the Drosophila follicular epithelium. Dev Biol. 2010;338:136-47 pubmed publisher..of adherens junctions, whose positioning is controlled by combined activities of Par-3, beta-catenin, and Discs large. Subsequently, Par-6 and aPKC localise to the apical membrane in a Par-3-dependent manner...
- Huntwork S, Littleton J. A complexin fusion clamp regulates spontaneous neurotransmitter release and synaptic growth. Nat Neurosci. 2007;10:1235-7 pubmed
- O Connor Giles K, Ho L, Ganetzky B. Nervous wreck interacts with thickveins and the endocytic machinery to attenuate retrograde BMP signaling during synaptic growth. Neuron. 2008;58:507-18 pubmed publisher..We propose that Nwk functions at the interface of endocytosis and BMP signaling to ensure proper synaptic growth by negatively regulating Tkv to set limits on this positive growth signal. ..
- Walther R, Pichaud F. Crumbs/DaPKC-dependent apical exclusion of Bazooka promotes photoreceptor polarity remodeling. Curr Biol. 2010;20:1065-74 pubmed publisher..This molecular sorting mechanism results in setting up the boundary between the photoreceptor subapical membrane and the za. ..
- Tamori Y, Bialucha C, Tian A, Kajita M, Huang Y, Norman M, et al. Involvement of Lgl and Mahjong/VprBP in cell competition. PLoS Biol. 2010;8:e1000422 pubmed publisher..As far as we are aware, this is the first report that cell competition can occur in a mammalian cell culture system. ..
- Sasaki N, Sasamura T, Ishikawa H, Kanai M, Ueda R, Saigo K, et al. Polarized exocytosis and transcytosis of Notch during its apical localization in Drosophila epithelial cells. Genes Cells. 2007;12:89-103 pubmed..N, but not Dl, formed a specific complex with DEcad in vivo. Finally, our results suggest that juxtacrine signaling in epithelia generally depends on the apicobasally polarized structure of epithelial cells. ..
- Apidianakis Y, Pitsouli C, Perrimon N, Rahme L. Synergy between bacterial infection and genetic predisposition in intestinal dysplasia. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:20883-8 pubmed publisher..Assessment of progenitor cell responses to pathogenic intestinal bacteria could provide a measure of predisposition for apoptotic enterocyte-assisted intestinal dysplasias in humans. ..
- Forrest S, Chai A, Sanhueza M, Marescotti M, Parry K, Georgiev A, et al. Increased levels of phosphoinositides cause neurodegeneration in a Drosophila model of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Hum Mol Genet. 2013;22:2689-704 pubmed publisher..These data underscore the importance of DVAP-Sac1 interaction in controlling phosphoinositide metabolism and provide mechanistic evidence for a crucial role of phosphoinositide levels in VAP-induced ALS. ..
- Morais de SÃ¡ E, Mirouse V, St Johnston D. aPKC phosphorylation of Bazooka defines the apical/lateral border in Drosophila epithelial cells. Cell. 2010;141:509-23 pubmed publisher..Although Baz acts as an aPKC targeting and specificity factor in nonepithelial cells, our results reveal that it performs a complementary function in positioning the adherens junction in epithelia. ..
- Goossens T, Kang Y, Wuytens G, Zimmermann P, Callaerts Vegh Z, Pollarolo G, et al. The Drosophila L1CAM homolog Neuroglian signals through distinct pathways to control different aspects of mushroom body axon development. Development. 2011;138:1595-605 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, genetic analyses show that the role of NRG in different aspects of MB axonal development not only involves PYD, but also TRIO, SEMA-1A and RAC1. ..
- Nagaraj R, Banerjee U. Regulation of Notch and Wingless signalling by phyllopod, a transcriptional target of the EGFR pathway. EMBO J. 2009;28:337-46 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, this study identifies a Phyl-regulated class of endosomal vesicles that specifically include components of Notch and Wg signalling. ..
- Kohsaka H, Takasu E, Nose A. In vivo induction of postsynaptic molecular assembly by the cell adhesion molecule Fasciclin2. J Cell Biol. 2007;179:1289-300 pubmed..live imaging of functional fluorescent fusion proteins expressed in muscles and find that Fas2 and Discs-Large (Dlg; a scaffolding protein known to bind Fas2) accumulate at the synaptic contact site soon after the arrival of the ..
- Gervais L, Casanova J. In vivo coupling of cell elongation and lumen formation in a single cell. Curr Biol. 2010;20:359-66 pubmed publisher..Given the similarities in the formation of fine respiratory tubes and capillaries, we propose that an inward membrane growth model could account for lumen formation in both processes. ..
- Zhang Y, Guo H, Kwan H, Wang J, Kosek J, Lu B. PAR-1 kinase phosphorylates Dlg and regulates its postsynaptic targeting at the Drosophila neuromuscular junction. Neuron. 2007;53:201-15 pubmed..PSD-95/Dlg proteins have been established as key components of the postsynapse...
- Woodfield S, Graves H, Hernandez J, Bergmann A. De-regulation of JNK and JAK/STAT signaling in ESCRT-II mutant tissues cooperatively contributes to neoplastic tumorigenesis. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e56021 pubmed publisher..This is the first rigorous study of tissues predominantly mutant for endocytic nTSGs and provides clear evidence for cooperation among de-regulated signaling pathways leading to tumorigenesis. ..
- Wang X, Shaw W, Tsang H, Reid E, O Kane C. Drosophila spichthyin inhibits BMP signaling and regulates synaptic growth and axonal microtubules. Nat Neurosci. 2007;10:177-85 pubmed