Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Decay
Description: Death executioner caspase related to Apopain/Yama
Alias: CAS3, CC-3, CC3, CG14902, Cas3, Casp3, Caspase-3, DECAY, Dmel\CG14902, Drosophila executioner caspase related to Apopain/Yama, cas3, caspase 3, caspase-3, decay, death executioner caspase related to Apopain/Yama, CG14902-PA, Caspase-3, Caspase3, Decay-PA, caspase 3, caspase-3 protein, cleaved caspase 3, decay
Species: fruit fly
- Moreno E, Basler K. dMyc transforms cells into super-competitors. Cell. 2004;117:117-29 pubmed..Hence the heritable increase in dMyc levels causes cells to behave as "super-competitors" and reveals a novel mode of clonal expansion that causes, but also relies on, the killing of surrounding cells. ..
- Dorstyn L, Mills K, Lazebnik Y, Kumar S. The two cytochrome c species, DC3 and DC4, are not required for caspase activation and apoptosis in Drosophila cells. J Cell Biol. 2004;167:405-10 pubmed..Overall, our results argue that DARK-mediated DRONC activation occurs independently of cytochrome c. ..
- Dorstyn L, Read S, Quinn L, Richardson H, Kumar S. DECAY, a novel Drosophila caspase related to mammalian caspase-3 and caspase-7. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:30778-83 pubmed..Here we describe the identification and characterization of the fifth Drosophila caspase, DECAY. DECAY shares a high degree of homology with the members of the mammalian caspase-3 subfamily, particularly ..
- Lee G, Wang Z, Sehgal R, Chen C, Kikuno K, Hay B, et al. Drosophila caspases involved in developmentally regulated programmed cell death of peptidergic neurons during early metamorphosis. J Comp Neurol. 2011;519:34-48 pubmed publisher..Two remaining effector caspase genes, decay and damm, found no apparent functions in the neuronal PCD, at least during early metamorphosis...
- Suissa Y, Ziv O, Dinur T, Arama E, Gerlitz O. The NAB-Brk signal bifurcates at JNK to independently induce apoptosis and compensatory proliferation. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:15556-64 pubmed publisher..Once induced, the apoptotic pathway further activates a CP response. Our data suggest that JNK is the candidate factor that differentiates between apoptosis that involves CP and apoptosis that does not. ..
- Herz H, Chen Z, Scherr H, Lackey M, Bolduc C, Bergmann A. vps25 mosaics display non-autonomous cell survival and overgrowth, and autonomous apoptosis. Development. 2006;133:1871-80 pubmed..In summary, the phenotypic analysis of vps25 mutants highlights the importance of receptor downregulation by endosomal protein sorting for appropriate tissue homeostasis, and may serve as a model for human cancer. ..
- Mills K, Daish T, Harvey K, Pfleger C, Hariharan I, Kumar S. The Drosophila melanogaster Apaf-1 homologue ARK is required for most, but not all, programmed cell death. J Cell Biol. 2006;172:809-15 pubmed..During metamorphosis, larval salivary gland removal was severely delayed in ark mutants. However, PCD occurred normally in the larval midgut, suggesting that ARK-independent cell death pathways also exist in D. melanogaster. ..
- Shlevkov E, Morata G. A dp53/JNK-dependant feedback amplification loop is essential for the apoptotic response to stress in Drosophila. Cell Death Differ. 2012;19:451-60 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results indicate that stress-induced apoptosis in Drosophila is dependant on an amplification loop mediated by dp53 and JNK. Furthermore, they also demonstrate a mechanism of mutual activation of proapoptotic genes. ..
- Manjón C, Sánchez Herrero E, Suzanne M. Sharp boundaries of Dpp signalling trigger local cell death required for Drosophila leg morphogenesis. Nat Cell Biol. 2007;9:57-63 pubmed..Furthermore, the same process could be used either to restore a normal pattern in response to artificial disturbance or to direct a morphogenetic process. ..
- Kondo S, Senoo Matsuda N, Hiromi Y, Miura M. DRONC coordinates cell death and compensatory proliferation. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:7258-68 pubmed..These results show that the apoptotic pathway bifurcates at DRONC and that DRONC coordinates the execution of cell death and compensatory proliferation. ..
- Gilboa L, Lehmann R. Soma-germline interactions coordinate homeostasis and growth in the Drosophila gonad. Nature. 2006;443:97-100 pubmed..We propose that similar feedback mechanisms might be generally used for coordinated growth, regeneration and homeostasis. ..
- Lee G, Kikuno K, Nair S, Park J. Mechanisms of postecdysis-associated programmed cell death of peptidergic neurons in Drosophila melanogaster. J Comp Neurol. 2013;521:3972-91 pubmed publisher..We did not find a role for other known caspases, Strica, Dredd, Damm, or Decay. Of interest, Dcp-1 is required not for the death of bursCCAP neurons per se but for the removal of neural ..
- Scuderi A, Simin K, Kazuko S, Metherall J, Letsou A. scylla and charybde, homologues of the human apoptotic gene RTP801, are required for head involution in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2006;291:110-22 pubmed
- Swan A, Barcelo G, Schupbach T. Drosophila Cks30A interacts with Cdk1 to target Cyclin A for destruction in the female germline. Development. 2005;132:3669-78 pubmed..We also find that a second closely related Cks gene, Cks85A, plays a distinct, non-overlapping role in Drosophila, and the two genes cannot functionally replace each other. ..
- Galindo M, Pueyo J, Fouix S, Bishop S, Couso J. Peptides encoded by short ORFs control development and define a new eukaryotic gene family. PLoS Biol. 2007;5:e106 pubmed publisher..Our results open a new avenue for the annotation and functional analysis of genes and sequenced genomes, in which thousands of short ORFs are still uncharacterised...
- Rogers E, Hsiung F, Rodrigues A, Moses K. Slingshot cofilin phosphatase localization is regulated by receptor tyrosine kinases and regulates cytoskeletal structure in the developing Drosophila eye. Mech Dev. 2005;122:1194-205 pubmed..We suggest that there are two modes of actin remodeling in the developing eye: a non-RTK, non-Ssh mediated mechanism in the morphogenetic furrow, and an RTK and Ssh-dependent mode during ommatidial assembly. ..
- Yavari A, Nagaraj R, Owusu Ansah E, Folick A, Ngo K, Hillman T, et al. Role of lipid metabolism in smoothened derepression in hedgehog signaling. Dev Cell. 2010;19:54-65 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results suggest a model in which Ptc directly or indirectly functions to suppress the accumulation of PI4P. Binding of Hh to Ptc derepresses the levels of PI4P, which, in turn, promotes Smo activation. ..
- Clark I, Boyd J, Hamilton G, Finnegan D, Jarman A. D-six4 plays a key role in patterning cell identities deriving from the Drosophila mesoderm. Dev Biol. 2006;294:220-31 pubmed..At stage 9, however, D-six4 and tin are both expressed pan-mesodermally. At this stage, tin function is required for full D-six4 expression. This may explain the known requirement for tin in some non-dorsal cell types. ..
- Xu D, Woodfield S, Lee T, Fan Y, Antonio C, Bergmann A. Genetic control of programmed cell death (apoptosis) in Drosophila. Fly (Austin). 2009;3:78-90 pubmed..Here, we review the key players of the cell death pathway in Drosophila and discuss their roles in apoptotic and non-apoptotic processes. ..
- Yan S, Lim S, Shi S, Dutta P, Li W. Unphosphorylated STAT and heterochromatin protect genome stability. FASEB J. 2011;25:232-41 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that maintaining genome stability by heterochromatin formation and correct chromosomal packaging is essential for normal cellular functions and for survival of animals under genotoxic stress. ..
- Moberg K, Hariharan I. Big things from a little RNA. Trends Cell Biol. 2003;13:455-7 pubmed
- Pérez Garijo A, Fuchs Y, Steller H. Apoptotic cells can induce non-autonomous apoptosis through the TNF pathway. elife. 2013;2:e01004 pubmed publisher..AiA provides a mechanism to explain cohort behavior of dying cells that is seen both in normal development and under pathological conditions. DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.7554/eLife.01004.001. ..
- Benassayag C, Montero L, Colombié N, Gallant P, Cribbs D, Morello D. Human c-Myc isoforms differentially regulate cell growth and apoptosis in Drosophila melanogaster. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:9897-909 pubmed
- Bossuyt W, De Geest N, Aerts S, Leenaerts I, Marynen P, Hassan B. The atonal proneural transcription factor links differentiation and tumor formation in Drosophila. PLoS Biol. 2009;7:e40 pubmed publisher..Combined with evidence that atonal's mammalian homolog, ATOH1, is a tumor suppressor gene, our data support a critical, evolutionarily conserved, function for ato in oncogenesis. ..
- Denton D, Shravage B, Simin R, Mills K, Berry D, Baehrecke E, et al. Autophagy, not apoptosis, is essential for midgut cell death in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2009;19:1741-6 pubmed publisher..Further analyses revealed that the caspase Decay is responsible for most of the caspase activity in dying midguts, yet inhibition of this activity has no effect on ..
- Janody F, Treisman J. Actin capping protein alpha maintains vestigial-expressing cells within the Drosophila wing disc epithelium. Development. 2006;133:3349-57 pubmed..Our results suggest that Vestigial specifies the cytoskeletal changes that lead to morphogenesis of the adult wing. ..
- Tittel J, Steller H. A comparison of programmed cell death between species. Genome Biol. 2000;1:REVIEWS0003 pubmed..The search for additional homologs has been facilitated by the availability of the entire genomic sequence for each of these organisms. ..
- Vrailas A, Moses K. Smoothened, thickveins and the genetic control of cell cycle and cell fate in the developing Drosophila eye. Mech Dev. 2006;123:151-65 pubmed..We conclude that both pathways have several, but differing roles in furrow induction and cell fate and survival, but that neither directly affects cell type specification. ..
- Monserrate J, Brachmann C. Identification of the death zone: a spatially restricted region for programmed cell death that sculpts the fly eye. Cell Death Differ. 2007;14:209-17 pubmed..Thus, application of live visualization to the fly eye gives new insight into a dynamic developmental process. ..
- Denton D, Kumar S. Studying Apoptosis in Drosophila. Cold Spring Harb Protoc. 2015;2015:609-13 pubmed publisher..The focus of this discussion is to introduce methodologies for monitoring apoptosis during Drosophila development and also in Drosophila cell lines. ..
- Ahamed M, Posgai R, Gorey T, Nielsen M, Hussain S, Rowe J. Silver nanoparticles induced heat shock protein 70, oxidative stress and apoptosis in Drosophila melanogaster. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2010;242:263-9 pubmed publisher..This study suggests that the organism is stressed and thus warrants more careful assessment of Ag NPs using in vivo models to determine if chronic exposure presents developmental and reproductive toxicity. ..
- Vincent J, Kolahgar G, Gagliardi M, Piddini E. Steep differences in wingless signaling trigger Myc-independent competitive cell interactions. Dev Cell. 2011;21:366-74 pubmed publisher..We suggest that Notum could amplify local differences in Wingless signaling, thus serving as an early trigger of Wg signaling-dependent competition. ..
- Mukherjee T, Choi I, Banerjee U. Genetic analysis of fibroblast growth factor signaling in the Drosophila eye. G3 (Bethesda). 2012;2:23-8 pubmed publisher..We hypothesized that the Bnl functions in the eye are Hedgehog dependent and represent novel aspects of Bnl signaling not explored previously. ..
- Marenda D, Vrailas A, Rodrigues A, Cook S, Powers M, Lorenzen J, et al. MAP kinase subcellular localization controls both pattern and proliferation in the developing Drosophila wing. Development. 2006;133:43-51 pubmed
- Chotard C, Leung W, Salecker I. glial cells missing and gcm2 cell autonomously regulate both glial and neuronal development in the visual system of Drosophila. Neuron. 2005;48:237-51 pubmed..Our findings further suggest that gcm genes regulate neurogenesis through collaboration with the Hedgehog-signaling pathway. ..
- Zhang B, Xu Z, Zhang Y, Shao X, Xu X, Cheng J, et al. Fipronil induces apoptosis through caspase-dependent mitochondrial pathways in Drosophila S2 cells. Pestic Biochem Physiol. 2015;119:81-9 pubmed publisher..Our results indicated that fipronil effectively induced apoptosis in Drosophila S2 cells through caspase-dependent mitochondrial pathways. ..
- Dichtel Danjoy M, Caldeira J, Casares F. SoxF is part of a novel negative-feedback loop in the wingless pathway that controls proliferation in the Drosophila wing disc. Development. 2009;136:761-9 pubmed publisher..This novel mode of action of a Sox gene on the Wnt pathway -- through transcriptional repression of a Wnt gene -- might be relevant to human disease, as loss of human SoxF genes has been implicated in colon carcinoma. ..
- Wehr K, Swan A, Schupbach T. Deadlock, a novel protein of Drosophila, is required for germline maintenance, fusome morphogenesis and axial patterning in oogenesis and associates with centrosomes in the early embryo. Dev Biol. 2006;294:406-17 pubmed..Our genetic and immunohistological experiments point to a role for Deadlock in microtubule function during oogenesis. ..
- Vaccari T, Duchi S, Cortese K, Tacchetti C, Bilder D. The vacuolar ATPase is required for physiological as well as pathological activation of the Notch receptor. Development. 2010;137:1825-32 pubmed publisher..The results also suggest that the ionic properties of the endosomal lumen might regulate Notch cleavage, providing a rationale for physiological as well as pathological endocytic control of Notch activity. ..
- Ghiglione C, Devergne O, Cerezo D, Noselli S. Drosophila RalA is essential for the maintenance of Jak/Stat signalling in ovarian follicles. EMBO Rep. 2008;9:676-82 pubmed publisher..As a result, border-cell assembly and migration as well as the polarization of the oocyte are defective. Thus, RalA is required in organizing centres to control proper patterning and migration in vivo. ..
- Kwon H, Waghmare I, Verghese S, Singh A, Singh A, Kango Singh M. Drosophila C-terminal Src kinase regulates growth via the Hippo signaling pathway. Dev Biol. 2015;397:67-76 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, dCsk requires Yki for its growth regulatory functions, suggesting that dCsk is another upstream member of the network of genes that interact to regulate Wts and its effector Yki in the Hippo signaling pathway. ..
- Li S, Zhang Z, Yang C, Lian H, Cai P. Gene expression and reproductive abilities of male Drosophila melanogaster subjected to ELF-EMF exposure. Mutat Res. 2013;758:95-103 pubmed publisher..QRT-PCR analysis confirmed that jra, ark and decay genes were down regulated in males exposed for 1 Generation (1G) and 72 h, which suggests that apoptosis may be ..
- Liang C, Chang Y, Chang H, Wang C, Hung Y, Lin Y, et al. Derlin-1 regulates mutant VCP-linked pathogenesis and endoplasmic reticulum stress-induced apoptosis. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004675 pubmed publisher..As this Derlin-1-dependent cell death is negated by TER94 overexpression, we propose that while Derlin-1 and VCP work cooperatively in ER stress response, their imbalance has a role in removing cells suffering prolonged ER stress. ..
- Bosch M, Bishop S, BaguÃ±a J, Couso J. Leg regeneration in Drosophila abridges the normal developmental program. Int J Dev Biol. 2010;54:1241-50 pubmed publisher..Such differences can result from similar developmental gene interactions acting under different starting conditions. ..
- Fernández Hernández I, Rhiner C, Moreno E. Adult neurogenesis in Drosophila. Cell Rep. 2013;3:1857-65 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal unexpected plasticity in the adult Drosophila brain and describe a unique model for the genetic analysis of adult neurogenesis, plasticity, and brain regeneration. ..
- Ly L, Suyari O, Yoshioka Y, Tue N, Yoshida H, Yamaguchi M. dNF-YB plays dual roles in cell death and cell differentiation during Drosophila eye development. Gene. 2013;520:106-18 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results indicate that dNF-Y regulates debcl gene expression. ..
- Roignant J, Hamel S, Janody F, Treisman J. The novel SAM domain protein Aveugle is required for Raf activation in the Drosophila EGF receptor signaling pathway. Genes Dev. 2006;20:795-806 pubmed publisher..We propose that Aveugle acts together with Cnk to promote Raf activation, perhaps by recruiting an activating kinase...
- Herranz H, Morata G, Milan M. calderón encodes an organic cation transporter of the major facilitator superfamily required for cell growth and proliferation of Drosophila tissues. Development. 2006;133:2617-25 pubmed..Our results indicate that growth of imaginal cells may be modulated by two distinct, but coordinated, nutrient-sensing mechanisms: one cell-autonomous and the other humoral...
- Doumanis J, Quinn L, Richardson H, Kumar S. STRICA, a novel Drosophila melanogaster caspase with an unusual serine/threonine-rich prodomain, interacts with DIAP1 and DIAP2. Cell Death Differ. 2001;8:387-94 pubmed..Interestingly, unlike other fly caspases, STRICA showed physical association with DIAP2, in cotransfection experiments. These results suggest that STRICA may have a unique cellular function. ..
- Zimmermann M, Kugler S, Schulz A, Nagel A. Loss of putzig Activity Results in Apoptosis during Wing Imaginal Development in Drosophila. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0124652 pubmed publisher..repression of Drosophila inhibitor of apoptosis protein accumulation and the activation of the caspases Drice, Caspase3 and Dcp1...
- Kessler T, Müller H. Cleavage of Armadillo/beta-catenin by the caspase DrICE in Drosophila apoptotic epithelial cells. BMC Dev Biol. 2009;9:15 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that N-terminal truncation of Arm by caspases is evolutionarily conserved and thus might provide a principal mechanism involved in the disassembly of adherens junctions during apoptosis. ..
- Brückner K, Kockel L, Duchek P, Luque C, Rørth P, Perrimon N. The PDGF/VEGF receptor controls blood cell survival in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2004;7:73-84 pubmed..This function of PVR shows striking conservation with mammalian hematopoiesis and establishes Drosophila as a model to study hematopoietic cell survival in development and disease. ..
- Khammari A, Agnes F, Gandille P, Pret A. Physiological apoptosis of polar cells during Drosophila oogenesis is mediated by Hid-dependent regulation of Diap1. Cell Death Differ. 2011;18:793-805 pubmed publisher..Therefore, our results implicate the Hid-Diap1 module as an important regulatory point in a developmental case of apoptosis. ..
- Buszczak M, Cooley L. Eggs to die for: cell death during Drosophila oogenesis. Cell Death Differ. 2000;7:1071-4 pubmed..These studies suggest that the morphological changes that occur during the late stages of Drosophila oogenesis may be initiated and driven by a modified form of programmed cell death. ..
- Zhu B, Pennack J, McQuilton P, Forero M, Mizuguchi K, Sutcliffe B, et al. Drosophila neurotrophins reveal a common mechanism for nervous system formation. PLoS Biol. 2008;6:e284 pubmed publisher..This work provides a missing link between aspects of neuronal function in flies and vertebrates, and it opens the opportunity to use Drosophila to investigate further aspects of neurotrophin function and to model related diseases...
- Kornbluth S, White K. Apoptosis in Drosophila: neither fish nor fowl (nor man, nor worm). J Cell Sci. 2005;118:1779-87 pubmed..Thus, although Drosophila, worms and humans share a host of apoptotic regulators, the way in which they function may not be identical. ..
- Meier P, Finch A, Evan G. Apoptosis in development. Nature. 2000;407:796-801 pubmed..Dysfunctions in the regulation or execution of cell suicide are implicated in a wide range of developmental abnormalities and diseases. ..
- Bardet P, Kolahgar G, Mynett A, Miguel Aliaga I, Briscoe J, Meier P, et al. A fluorescent reporter of caspase activity for live imaging. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:13901-5 pubmed publisher..This is detected before other markers of apoptosis, including anti-cleaved caspase 3 immunoreactivity...
- Wang Y, Werz C, Xu D, Chen Z, Li Y, Hafen E, et al. Drosophila cbl is essential for control of cell death and cell differentiation during eye development. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e1447 pubmed publisher..Our genetic data also indicate a critical role of ubiquitination for D-cbl function, consistent with biochemical models. These data may provide a mechanistic model for the understanding of the oncogenic activity of mammalian cbl genes. ..
- Terriente Felix J, Magarinos M, Diaz Benjumea F. Nab controls the activity of the zinc-finger transcription factors Squeeze and Rotund in Drosophila development. Development. 2007;134:1845-52 pubmed..We propose two mechanisms by which the activation of wg expression by Rotund in the wing hinge is repressed in the distal wing. ..
- Amarneh B, Matthews K, Rawson R. Activation of sterol regulatory element-binding protein by the caspase Drice in Drosophila larvae. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:9674-82 pubmed publisher..Drice-dependent activation of dSREBP explains why flies lacking dS2P are viable, and flies lacking dSREBP itself are not...
- Mollereau B, Ma D. The p53 control of apoptosis and proliferation: lessons from Drosophila. Apoptosis. 2014;19:1421-9 pubmed publisher..In this review, we describe these new functions of Dmp53 and discuss their relevance in the context of carcinogenesis. ..
- Carrasco Rando M, Ruiz Gomez M. Mind bomb 2, a founder myoblast-specific protein, regulates myoblast fusion and muscle stability. Development. 2008;135:849-57 pubmed publisher..We suggest that Mib2 acts sequentially in myoblast fusion and sarcomeric stability by two separable processes involving distinct functions of Mib2. ..
- Primrose D, Chaudhry S, Johnson A, Hrdlicka A, Schindler A, Tran D, et al. Interactions of DNR1 with the apoptotic machinery of Drosophila melanogaster. J Cell Sci. 2007;120:1189-99 pubmed..Furthermore, we show that Dnr1 overexpression significantly reduces Dronc protein levels and identify the domains of Dnr1 necessary for these effects. From these data, we propose that Dnr1 inhibits initiator caspases in S2 cells. ..
- Shen J, Dorner C, Bahlo A, Pflugfelder G. optomotor-blind suppresses instability at the A/P compartment boundary of the Drosophila wing. Mech Dev. 2008;125:233-46 pubmed publisher..In the larval A/P fold, DE-cadherin-based adherens junctions appeared intact but the apical microtubule web was strongly reduced. ..
- Arya R, White K. Cell death in development: Signaling pathways and core mechanisms. Semin Cell Dev Biol. 2015;39:12-9 pubmed publisher..Understanding how the cell death is regulated during development may provide insight into how this process can be manipulated in the treatment of disease. ..
- Thompson B, Cohen S. The Hippo pathway regulates the bantam microRNA to control cell proliferation and apoptosis in Drosophila. Cell. 2006;126:767-74 pubmed..In summary, the results show that the Hippo pathway regulates expression of bantam to control tissue growth in Drosophila. ..
- Moser M, Campbell G. Generating and interpreting the Brinker gradient in the Drosophila wing. Dev Biol. 2005;286:647-58 pubmed..This Brk negative autoregulation appears to increase the sensitivity of the cells to Dpp/pMad and should also function to stabilize the brk gradient. ..
- Danial N, Korsmeyer S. Cell death: critical control points. Cell. 2004;116:205-19 pubmed..The identification of critical control points in the cell death pathway has yielded fundamental insights for basic biology, as well as provided rational targets for new therapeutics. ..
- Baehrecke E. Steroid regulation of programmed cell death during Drosophila development. Cell Death Differ. 2000;7:1057-62 pubmed..This article reviews the current knowledge of steroid signaling and the regulation of programmed cell death during development of Drosophila. ..