Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: dec
Description: defective chorion 1
Alias: 39051, CG2175, Dmel\CG2175, Fc1, Fcp7C, dec, dec1, dec[], fs(1)11-549, fs(1)12-1873, fs(1)12-2514, fs(1)12-3512, fs(1)12-365, fs(1)12-3907, fs(1)12-403, fs(1)12-4860, fs(1)13-453, fs(1)13C-57, fs(1)13C-73, fs(1)14-963, fs(1)14A-114, fs(1)14E19, fs(1)1501, fs(1)384, fs(1)5, fs(1)A257, fs(1)A384, fs(1)C1, fs(1)M102, fs(1)M1021, defective chorion 1, CG2175-PA, CG2175-PB, CG2175-PC, CG2175-PE, CG2175-PF, CG2175-PG, dec-1-PA, dec-1-PB, dec-1-PC, dec-1-PE, dec-1-PF, dec-1-PG, defective chorion, follicle cell protein 7C
Species: fruit fly
- Komitopoulou K, Margaritis L, Kafatos F. Structural and biochemical studies on four sex-linked chorion mutants of Drosophila melanogaster. Dev Genet. 1988;9:37-48 pubmed
- Wieschaus E, Audit C, Masson M. A clonal analysis of the roles of somatic cells and germ line during oogenesis in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 1981;88:92-103 pubmed
- Kim C, Han K, Kim J, Yi J, Kim C, Yim J, et al. Femcoat, a novel eggshell protein in Drosophila: functional analysis by double stranded RNA interference. Mech Dev. 2002;110:61-70 pubmed..Our results demonstrate that inducible dsRNAi analysis can be effective in determining the developmental function of novel genes. ..
- Perrimon N, Gans M. Clonal analysis of the tissue specificity of recessive female-sterile mutations of Drosophila melanogaster using a dominant female-sterile mutation Fs(1)K1237. Dev Biol. 1983;100:365-73 pubmed..These results are discussed in terms of a coincident production of clones in the follicle cells. ..
- Zhang Z, Stevens L, Stein D. Sulfation of eggshell components by Pipe defines dorsal-ventral polarity in the Drosophila embryo. Curr Biol. 2009;19:1200-5 pubmed publisher..In identifying the elusive targets of Pipe, this work points to the vitelline membrane as the source of signals that generate the Drosophila DV axis...
- Camporeale G, Zempleni J, Eissenberg J. Susceptibility to heat stress and aberrant gene expression patterns in holocarboxylase synthetase-deficient Drosophila melanogaster are caused by decreased biotinylation of histones, not of carboxylases. J Nutr. 2007;137:885-9 pubmed..were different from that seen with HCS-deficient flies, as judged by the abundance of mRNA coding for defective chorion 1, chitin-binding peritrophin-A, dopamine receptor 2, and yolk protein 2...
- Badciong J, Otto J, Waring G. The functions of the multiproduct and rapidly evolving dec-1 eggshell gene are conserved between evolutionarily distant species of Drosophila. Genetics. 2001;159:1089-102 pubmedThe Drosophila dec-1 gene encodes multiple proteins that are required for female fertility and proper eggshell morphogenesis. Genetic and immunolocalization data suggest that the different DEC-1 proteins are functionally distinct...
- Andersson S, Lambertsson A. Evolution of the dec-1 eggshell locus in Drosophila. I. Restriction site mapping and limited sequence comparison in the melanogaster species subgroup. J Mol Evol. 1991;33:321-31 pubmedWe have analyzed approximately 18 kb of DNA in and upstream of the defective chorion-1 (dec-1) locus of the eight known species of the melanogaster species subgroup of Drosophila. The restriction maps of D. simulans, D. mauritiana, D...
- Andersson S, Lambertsson A. Evolution of the dec-1 eggshell locus in Drosophila. II. Intraspecific DNA sequence analysis reveals length mutations in a repetitive region in D. melanogaster. J Mol Evol. 1993;36:536-44 pubmedThe dec-1 eggshell gene in Drosophila melanogaster encodes follicle cell proteins required for proper eggshell assembly. As shown by Southern and Northern analyses the dec-1 gene occurs in four alleles (Fc1-4) among wild-type strains...
- Pascucci T, Perrino J, Mahowald A, Waring G. Eggshell assembly in Drosophila: processing and localization of vitelline membrane and chorion proteins. Dev Biol. 1996;177:590-8 pubmed
- Hawley R, Waring G. Cloning and analysis of the dec-1 female-sterile locus, a gene required for proper assembly of the Drosophila eggshell. Genes Dev. 1988;2:341-9 pubmedFemale-sterile mutations at the dec-1 (defective chorion-1) locus of Drosophila severely disrupt the organization of the eggshell late in oogenesis...
- Stein D, Cho Y, Zhang Z, Stevens L. No requirement for localized Nudel protein expression in Drosophila embryonic axis determination. Fly (Austin). 2008;2:220-8 pubmed
- Atkey M, Lachance J, Walczak M, Rebello T, Nilson L. Capicua regulates follicle cell fate in the Drosophila ovary through repression of mirror. Development. 2006;133:2115-23 pubmed..We propose that Capicua regulates the pattern of follicle cell fates along the dorsoventral axis by blocking the induction of appendage determinants, such as mirror, by anterior positional cues. ..
- Mauzy Melitz D, Waring G. fc177, a minor dec-1 proprotein, is necessary to prevent ectopic aggregation of the endochorion during eggshell assembly in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2003;255:193-205 pubmed..The dec-1 gene, which is required for proper eggshell assembly, produces three proproteins that are cleaved within the ..
- Carneiro K, Fontenele M, Negreiros E, Lopes E, Bier E, Araujo H. Graded maternal short gastrulation protein contributes to embryonic dorsal-ventral patterning by delayed induction. Dev Biol. 2006;296:203-18 pubmed
- Nogueron M, Mauzy Melitz D, Waring G. Drosophila dec-1 eggshell proteins are differentially distributed via a multistep extracellular processing and localization pathway. Dev Biol. 2000;225:459-70 pubmed..Proper eggshell assembly requires wild-type dec-1 gene function...
- Margaritis L, Hamodrakas S, Papassideri I, Arad T, Leonard K. Three-dimensional reconstruction of innermost chorion layer of Drosophila grimshawi and Drosophila melanogaster eggshell mutant fs(1)384. Int J Biol Macromol. 1991;13:247-53 pubmed
- Nilson L, Schupbach T. Localized requirements for windbeutel and pipe reveal a dorsoventral prepattern within the follicular epithelium of the Drosophila ovary. Cell. 1998;93:253-62 pubmed
- Spangenberg D, Waring G. A mutant dec-1 transgene induces dominant female sterility in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 2007;177:1595-608 pubmedThe Drosophila dec-1 gene produces three proproteins required for female fertility and eggshell assembly. The three proproteins are distinguished by their C termini...
- Bauer B, Waring G. 7C female sterile mutants fail to accumulate early eggshell proteins necessary for later chorion morphogenesis in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 1987;121:349-58 pubmed..These results suggest that follicle cell proteins synthesized during the time of vitelline membrane deposition (stage 10) are important for proper assembly of the chorion layers during stages 13 and 14. ..
- Kim J, Nordman J, Xie F, Kashevsky H, Eng T, Li S, et al. Integrative analysis of gene amplification in Drosophila follicle cells: parameters of origin activation and repression. Genes Dev. 2011;25:1384-98 pubmed publisher..This repression is alleviated when a fragment containing the origin is placed in different genomic contexts. ..
- Nogueron M, Waring G. Regulated processing of dec-1 eggshell proteins in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 1995;172:272-9 pubmedThe Drosophila dec-1 gene encodes multiple products that are necessary for proper eggshell assembly...
- Gans M, Audit C, Masson M. Isolation and characterization of sex-linked female-sterile mutants in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1975;81:683-704 pubmed..The value of the mutants isolated for analysis of the complex processes leading to egg formation and initiation of development is discussed. ..