Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Debcl
Description: Death executioner Bcl-2
Alias: BG1, BOK, Bcl-2, Bok, Bok(Debcl), CG12397, CG33134, DBok, DEBCL, Dbok, Debcl/Drob-1/dBorg-1/dBok, Debcl/dBorg-1/dBok/Drob-1, Debcl/dBorg-1/dRob-1, Dmel\CG33134, Drob-1, Drob-1/Debcl/dBORG-1, Drob-1/Debcl/dBorg-1/DBok, Drob-1/Debcl/dBorg-1/dBok, bcl-2, borg1/debcl, dBOK, dBORG-1/DROB-1/DEBCL/dBOK, dBok, dBorg-1, dBorg01, dBorg1, dBrog-1, dbok, dbok/debcl, dborg1, debc1, debcl, debcl/Borg1, debok, drob-1, death executioner Bcl-2, Bcl-2, CG33134-PA, Debcl-PA, death executioner Bcl-2 homologue, death inducing Bcl-2-like protein, deborg
Species: fruit fly
- Denton D, Kumar S. Studying Apoptosis in Drosophila. Cold Spring Harb Protoc. 2015;2015:609-13 pubmed publisher..The focus of this discussion is to introduce methodologies for monitoring apoptosis during Drosophila development and also in Drosophila cell lines. ..
- Sakamaki K, Imai K, Tomii K, Miller D. Evolutionary analyses of caspase-8 and its paralogs: Deep origins of the apoptotic signaling pathways. Bioessays. 2015;37:767-76 pubmed publisher..The apoptotic network of the eumetazoan ancestor appears to have been complex and vertebrate like, and is only now being revealed by studying simple animals. ..
- Ly L, Suyari O, Yoshioka Y, Tue N, Yoshida H, Yamaguchi M. dNF-YB plays dual roles in cell death and cell differentiation during Drosophila eye development. Gene. 2013;520:106-18 pubmed publisher..The death executioner Bcl-2 (debcl) is the homolog of Bcl-2 in Drosophila melanogaster and its promoter contains four dNF-Y-binding consensus ..
- Bangi E, Garza D, Hild M. In vivo analysis of compound activity and mechanism of action using epistasis in Drosophila. J Chem Biol. 2011;4:55-68 pubmed publisher..The online version of this article (doi:10.1007/s12154-010-0051-5) contains supplementary material, which is available to authorized users. ..
- Park J, Kim Y, Choi S, Koh H, Lee S, Kim J, et al. Drosophila Porin/VDAC affects mitochondrial morphology. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e13151 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our study showed that loss of Drosophila Porin results in mitochondrial morphological defects and suggested that the defective mitochondrial function by Porin deficiency affects the mitochondrial remodeling process. ..
- Quinn L, Coombe M, Mills K, Daish T, Colussi P, Kumar S, et al. Buffy, a Drosophila Bcl-2 protein, has anti-apoptotic and cell cycle inhibitory functions. EMBO J. 2003;22:3568-79 pubmed..and anti-apoptotic members of this family are found in mammalian cells, but only the pro-apoptotic protein Debcl has been characterized in Drosophila: Here we report that Buffy, the second Drosophila Bcl-2-like protein, is a ..
- Wu J, Nguyen N, Aghazarian M, Tan Y, Sevrioukov E, Mabuchi M, et al. grim promotes programmed cell death of Drosophila microchaete glial cells. Mech Dev. 2010;127:407-17 pubmed publisher..a mitochondrial death pathway distinct from IAP antagonization; therefore, the Drosophila bcl-2 genes buffy and debcl were investigated for genetic interaction with grim...
- Wong H, Shaukat Z, Wang J, Saint R, Gregory S. JNK signaling is needed to tolerate chromosomal instability. Cell Cycle. 2014;13:622-31 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that chromosomal instability represents a significant stress to dividing cells, and that without JNK signaling, cells undergo apoptosis because they lack a timely and effective response to DNA damage. ..
- Senoo Matsuda N, Igaki T, Miura M. Bax-like protein Drob-1 protects neurons from expanded polyglutamine-induced toxicity in Drosophila. EMBO J. 2005;24:2700-13 pubmed..Taken together, these results suggest that Drob-1 is essential for neuronal cell function, and that Drob-1 protects neurons from expanded polyglutamine-mediated neurodegeneration through the regulation of mitochondrial homeostasis. ..
- Colin J, Garibal J, Clavier A, Rincheval Arnold A, Gaumer S, Mignotte B, et al. The drosophila Bcl-2 family protein Debcl is targeted to the proteasome by the β-TrCP homologue slimb. Apoptosis. 2014;19:1444-56 pubmed publisher..We then demonstrated that Uba1 also regulates apoptosis induced by Debcl, the only counterpart of Bax in Drosophila...
- de la Cova C, Senoo Matsuda N, Ziosi M, Wu D, Bellosta P, Quinzii C, et al. Supercompetitor status of Drosophila Myc cells requires p53 as a fitness sensor to reprogram metabolism and promote viability. Cell Metab. 2014;19:470-83 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that the initial confrontation between precancerous and WT cells could enhance cancer cell fitness and promote tumor progression. ..
- Terhzaz S, Finlayson A, Stirrat L, Yang J, Tricoire H, Woods D, et al. Cell-specific inositol 1,4,5 trisphosphate 3-kinase mediates epithelial cell apoptosis in response to oxidative stress in Drosophila. Cell Signal. 2010;22:737-48 pubmed publisher..The Drosophila orthologues of human apoptotic bcl-2 genes include debcl and buffy...
- Cao C, Liu Y, Lehmann M. Fork head controls the timing and tissue selectivity of steroid-induced developmental cell death. J Cell Biol. 2007;176:843-52 pubmed..More generally, they suggest that cell identity factors like Fkh play a pivotal role in the normal control of developmental cell death. ..
- Van Hoof C, Goris J. Phosphatases in apoptosis: to be or not to be, PP2A is in the heart of the question. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2003;1640:97-104 pubmed..Finally, some viral proteins such as adenovirus E4orf4 and simian virus small t target PP2A to alter its activity, resulting in induction of apoptosis as a regulatory mechanism to enhance virus spread. ..
- Zhang B, Xu Z, Zhang Y, Shao X, Xu X, Cheng J, et al. Fipronil induces apoptosis through caspase-dependent mitochondrial pathways in Drosophila S2 cells. Pestic Biochem Physiol. 2015;119:81-9 pubmed publisher..Our results indicated that fipronil effectively induced apoptosis in Drosophila S2 cells through caspase-dependent mitochondrial pathways. ..
- Lanave C, Santamaria M, Saccone C. Comparative genomics: the evolutionary history of the Bcl-2 family. Gene. 2004;333:71-9 pubmed..Once the functions of all the components are known, it will be possible to study the process in a holistic way. ..
- Tittel J, Steller H. A comparison of programmed cell death between species. Genome Biol. 2000;1:REVIEWS0003 pubmed..The search for additional homologs has been facilitated by the availability of the entire genomic sequence for each of these organisms. ..
- Peterson J, Bass B, Jue D, Rodriguez A, Abrams J, McCall K. Noncanonical cell death pathways act during Drosophila oogenesis. Genesis. 2007;45:396-404 pubmed..These results indicate that novel pathways must control PCD in the ovary. ..
- Zimmermann K, Ricci J, Droin N, Green D. The role of ARK in stress-induced apoptosis in Drosophila cells. J Cell Biol. 2002;156:1077-87 pubmed..These results demonstrate the central role of ARK in stress-induced apoptosis, which appears to act independently of cytochrome c. Apoptosis induced by Reaper or Grim can proceed via a distinct pathway, independent of ARK. ..
- Brun S, Rincheval V, Gaumer S, Mignotte B, Guenal I. reaper and bax initiate two different apoptotic pathways affecting mitochondria and antagonized by bcl-2 in Drosophila. Oncogene. 2002;21:6458-70 pubmed..Although dbok/debcl, a member of the bcl-2 gene family described in Drosophila, shows pro-apoptotic activities, no anti-apoptotic bcl-..
- Zhang H, Holzgreve W, de Geyter C. Evolutionarily conserved Bok proteins in the Bcl-2 family. FEBS Lett. 2000;480:311-3 pubmed
- Dorstyn L, Read S, Cakouros D, Huh J, Hay B, Kumar S. The role of cytochrome c in caspase activation in Drosophila melanogaster cells. J Cell Biol. 2002;156:1089-98 pubmed..Ectopic expression of the proapoptotic Bcl-2 protein, DEBCL, also fails to show any cytochrome c release from mitochondria...
- Igaki T, Yamamoto Goto Y, Tokushige N, Kanda H, Miura M. Down-regulation of DIAP1 triggers a novel Drosophila cell death pathway mediated by Dark and DRONC. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:23103-6 pubmed..These results suggest the existence of a novel mechanism for cell death signaling in Drosophila that is mediated by DRONC and Dark. ..
- Sevrioukov E, Burr J, Huang E, Assi H, Monserrate J, Purves D, et al. Drosophila Bcl-2 proteins participate in stress-induced apoptosis, but are not required for normal development. Genesis. 2007;45:184-93 pubmed..Two bcl-2 genes are encoded in the Drosophila genome (debcl/dBorg1/Drob-1/dBok and buffy/dBorg2) and previous RNAi-based studies suggested a requirement for these in embryonic ..
- GALINDO K, Lu W, Park J, Abrams J. The Bax/Bak ortholog in Drosophila, Debcl, exerts limited control over programmed cell death. Development. 2009;136:275-83 pubmed publisher..Drosophila encodes two Bcl-2 family members, Debcl (pro-apoptotic) and Buffy (anti-apoptotic)...
- Tsubouchi A, Tsuyama T, Fujioka M, Kohda H, Okamoto Furuta K, Aigaki T, et al. Mitochondrial protein Preli-like is required for development of dendritic arbors and prevents their regression in the Drosophila sensory nervous system. Development. 2009;136:3757-66 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, overexpression of Drob-1 (Debcl), a Drosophila Bax-like Bcl-2 family protein, in the wild-type background produced dendrite phenotypes that were ..
- Doumanis J, Dorstyn L, Kumar S. Molecular determinants of the subcellular localization of the Drosophila Bcl-2 homologues DEBCL and BUFFY. Cell Death Differ. 2007;14:907-15 pubmed..In Drosophila, both Bcl-2 family members, DEBCL and BUFFY, contain an MA...
- Clavier A, Ruby V, Rincheval Arnold A, Mignotte B, GuÃ©nal I. The Drosophila retinoblastoma protein, Rbf1, induces a Debcl- and Drp1-dependent mitochondrial apoptosis. J Cell Sci. 2015;128:3239-49 pubmed publisher..Buffy often acts in an opposite manner to Debcl, the other Drosophila Bcl-2-family protein...
- Kanda H, Igaki T, Okano H, Miura M. Conserved metabolic energy production pathways govern Eiger/TNF-induced nonapoptotic cell death. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:18977-82 pubmed publisher..production-related genes did not affect the cell death triggered by proapoptotic genes, such as reaper, hid, or debcl, indicating that the energy production-related genes have a specific role in Eiger-induced nonapoptotic cell death...
- Kang M, Ryoo H. Suppression of retinal degeneration in Drosophila by stimulation of ER-associated degradation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:17043-8 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that manipulation of ERAD may serve as a powerful therapeutic strategy against a number of diseases associated with ER stress. ..
- Arya R, White K. Cell death in development: Signaling pathways and core mechanisms. Semin Cell Dev Biol. 2015;39:12-9 pubmed publisher..Understanding how the cell death is regulated during development may provide insight into how this process can be manipulated in the treatment of disease. ..
- Tanner E, Blute T, Brachmann C, McCall K. Bcl-2 proteins and autophagy regulate mitochondrial dynamics during programmed cell death in the Drosophila ovary. Development. 2011;138:327-38 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, Bcl-2 family mutants show a striking defect in cell death in the ovary. These data indicate that a mitochondrial pathway is a major mechanism for activation of cell death in Drosophila oogenesis. ..
- Keller L, Cheng L, Locke C, Muller M, Fetter R, Davis G. Glial-derived prodegenerative signaling in the Drosophila neuromuscular system. Neuron. 2011;72:760-75 pubmed publisher..deplete the axon and nerve terminal of mitochondria suppress degeneration as do mutations in Drosophila Bcl-2 (debcl), a mitochondria-associated protein, and Apaf-1 (dark), which links mitochondrial signaling with caspase activity ..
- Copeland J, Bosdet I, Freeman J, Guo M, Gorski S, Hay B. echinus, required for interommatidial cell sorting and cell death in the Drosophila pupal retina, encodes a protein with homology to ubiquitin-specific proteases. BMC Dev Biol. 2007;7:82 pubmed..Characterization of likely echinus null alleles and genetic interactions suggests that echinus acts at a novel point(s) to regulate interommatidial cell sorting and/or cell death in the fly eye. ..
- Danial N, Korsmeyer S. Cell death: critical control points. Cell. 2004;116:205-19 pubmed..The identification of critical control points in the cell death pathway has yielded fundamental insights for basic biology, as well as provided rational targets for new therapeutics. ..
- Meier P, Finch A, Evan G. Apoptosis in development. Nature. 2000;407:796-801 pubmed..Dysfunctions in the regulation or execution of cell suicide are implicated in a wide range of developmental abnormalities and diseases. ..
- Lawen A. Apoptosis-an introduction. Bioessays. 2003;25:888-96 pubmed
- Igaki T, Miura M. Role of Bcl-2 family members in invertebrates. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2004;1644:73-81 pubmed..On the other hand, the Drosophila genome encodes two Bcl-2 family proteins, Drob-1/Debcl/dBorg-1/dBok and Buffy/dBorg-2, both of which structurally belong to the pro-apoptotic group, despite abundant ..