Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: dally
Description: division abnormally delayed
Alias: CG4974, CT15952, Dally, Dmel\CG4974, anon-EST:Liang-1.63, clone 1.63, gem, l(3)06464, l(3)SG18, division abnormally delayed, CG4974-PA, CG4974-PB, dally-PA, dally-PB, genitalia missing, lethal (3) SG18
Species: fruit fly
- Makhijani K, Kalyani C, Srividya T, Shashidhara L. Modulation of Decapentaplegic gradient during haltere specification in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2007;302:243-55 pubmed..at the A/P boundary by increased levels of its receptor Thick-vein and its inability to diffuse in the absence of Dally. Results presented here suggest a complex mechanism adopted by Ultrabithorax to modulate Decapentaplegic signaling...
- Eliazer S, Shalaby N, Buszczak M. Loss of lysine-specific demethylase 1 nonautonomously causes stem cell tumors in the Drosophila ovary. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:7064-9 pubmed publisher..The role of Lsd1 in regulating niche-specific signals may have important implications for understanding how disruption of its mammalian homolog contributes to cancer and metastasis. ..
- Tsuda M, Kamimura K, Nakato H, Archer M, Staatz W, Fox B, et al. The cell-surface proteoglycan Dally regulates Wingless signalling in Drosophila. Nature. 1999;400:276-80 pubmed..We demonstrate here that the protein encoded by the division abnormally delayed (dally) gene is a cell-surface, heparan-sulphate-modified proteoglycan...
- Vuilleumier R, Springhorn A, Patterson L, Koidl S, Hammerschmidt M, Affolter M, et al. Control of Dpp morphogen signalling by a secreted feedback regulator. Nat Cell Biol. 2010;12:611-7 pubmed publisher..We show that Pent interacts with the glypican Dally to control Dpp distribution and provide evidence that proper establishment of the BMP morphogen gradient requires ..
- Moline M, Dierick H, Southern C, Bejsovec A. Non-equivalent roles of Drosophila Frizzled and Dfrizzled2 in embryonic wingless signal transduction. Curr Biol. 2000;10:1127-30 pubmed..We conclude that wild-type Wg signaling requires efficient interaction between ligand and the Dfz2-proteoglycan receptor complex to promote the naked cuticle cell fate. ..
- Guo Z, Wang Z. The glypican Dally is required in the niche for the maintenance of germline stem cells and short-range BMP signaling in the Drosophila ovary. Development. 2009;136:3627-35 pubmed publisher..How this steep gradient of BMP response is achieved remains elusive. In this study, we found that the glypican Dally is essential for maintaining GSC identity. Dally is highly expressed in cap cells...
- Takeo S, Akiyama T, Firkus C, Aigaki T, Nakato H. Expression of a secreted form of Dally, a Drosophila glypican, induces overgrowth phenotype by affecting action range of Hedgehog. Dev Biol. 2005;284:204-18 pubmed..A Drosophila glypican, Dally, regulates the gradient formation of Decapentaplegic (Dpp) in the developing wing...
- Franch Marro X, Marchand O, Piddini E, Ricardo S, Alexandre C, Vincent J. Glypicans shunt the Wingless signal between local signalling and further transport. Development. 2005;132:659-66 pubmedThe two glypicans Dally and Dally-like have been implicated in modulating the activity of Wingless, a member of the Wnt family of secreted glycoprotein. So far, the lack of null mutants has prevented a rigorous assessment of their roles...
- Lin X, Perrimon N. Dally cooperates with Drosophila Frizzled 2 to transduce Wingless signalling. Nature. 1999;400:281-4 pubmed..We have identified the product of division abnormally delayed (dally), a glycosyl-phosphatidyl inositol (GPI)-linked glypican, as a heparan sulphate proteoglycan ..
- Hufnagel L, Teleman A, Rouault H, Cohen S, Shraiman B. On the mechanism of wing size determination in fly development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:3835-40 pubmed..This analysis provides an alternative hypothesis for the size determination process. Novel experimental approaches will be needed to test this model. ..
- Kirilly D, Wang S, Xie T. Self-maintained escort cells form a germline stem cell differentiation niche. Development. 2011;138:5087-97 pubmed publisher..Here, we propose that ECs form a niche that controls GSC lineage differentiation and is maintained by a non-stem cell mechanism. ..
- Belenkaya T, Han C, Yan D, Opoka R, Khodoun M, Liu H, et al. Drosophila Dpp morphogen movement is independent of dynamin-mediated endocytosis but regulated by the glypican members of heparan sulfate proteoglycans. Cell. 2004;119:231-44 pubmed..Furthermore, we show that Dpp fails to move across cells mutant for dally and dally-like (dly), two Drosophila glypican members of heparin sulfate proteoglycan (HSPG)...
- Giraldez A, Copley R, Cohen S. HSPG modification by the secreted enzyme Notum shapes the Wingless morphogen gradient. Dev Cell. 2002;2:667-76 pubmed..evidence that Notum influences Wingless protein distribution by modifying the heparan sulfate proteoglycans Dally-like and Dally. High levels of Wingless signaling induce Notum expression...
- Akiyama T, Kamimura K, Firkus C, Takeo S, Shimmi O, Nakato H. Dally regulates Dpp morphogen gradient formation by stabilizing Dpp on the cell surface. Dev Biol. 2008;313:408-19 pubmed..Previous studies showed that Dally, a heparan sulfate proteoglycan, regulates both the distribution of Dpp morphogen and cellular responses to Dpp...
- Glise B, Miller C, Crozatier M, Halbisen M, Wise S, Olson D, et al. Shifted, the Drosophila ortholog of Wnt inhibitory factor-1, controls the distribution and movement of Hedgehog. Dev Cell. 2005;8:255-66 pubmed..Our data further indicate that Shf interacts with Hh and the heparan sulfate proteoglycans. Therefore, we propose that Shf stabilizes the interaction between Hh and the proteoglycans, an unexpected role for a member of the WIF-1 family. ..
- Nakato H, Futch T, Selleck S. The division abnormally delayed (dally) gene: a putative integral membrane proteoglycan required for cell division patterning during postembryonic development of the nervous system in Drosophila. Development. 1995;121:3687-702 pubmed..The division abnormally delayed (dally) locus was identified using a combination of "enhancer trap" and behavioral screening ..
- Serpe M, Umulis D, Ralston A, Chen J, Olson D, Avanesov A, et al. The BMP-binding protein Crossveinless 2 is a short-range, concentration-dependent, biphasic modulator of BMP signaling in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2008;14:940-53 pubmed publisher..We also find that Cv-2 expression is controlled by BMP signaling, and these combined properties enable Cv-2 to exquisitely tune BMP signaling. ..
- Jackson S, Nakato H, Sugiura M, Jannuzi A, Oakes R, Kaluza V, et al. dally, a Drosophila glypican, controls cellular responses to the TGF-beta-related morphogen, Dpp. Development. 1997;124:4113-20 pubmed..We show here that division abnormally delayed (dally), a Drosophila member of the glypican family of integral membrane proteoglycans is required for ..
- Fujise M, Takeo S, Kamimura K, Matsuo T, Aigaki T, Izumi S, et al. Dally regulates Dpp morphogen gradient formation in the Drosophila wing. Development. 2003;130:1515-22 pubmed..Dpp is a heparin-binding protein and Dpp signal transduction is potentiated by Dally, a cell-surface heparan sulfate proteoglycan, during assembly of several adult tissues...
- Strigini M, Cohen S. Wingless gradient formation in the Drosophila wing. Curr Biol. 2000;10:293-300 pubmed..Endocytosis is not required for Wg movement, but contributes to shaping the gradient by removing extracellular Wg. We propose that the extracellular Wg gradient forms by diffusion. ..
- Bejsovec A. Wnt signalling shows its versatility. Curr Biol. 1999;9:R684-7 pubmed..Recent studies have revealed that regulatory interactions at several steps in the pathway can modify its outcome, helping to explain how the same pathway can, in different contexts, have very different characteristics and consequences. ..
- Fernandes V, Pradhan Sundd T, Blaquiere J, Verheyen E. Ras/MEK/MAPK-mediated regulation of heparin sulphate proteoglycans promotes retinal fate in the Drosophila eye-antennal disc. Dev Biol. 2015;402:109-18 pubmed publisher..STAT activity is reduced due to decreased mobility of the ligand Unpaired (Upd) along with a corresponding loss in Dally-like protein (Dlp), a heparan sulphate proteoglycan (HSPG) that aids Upd diffusion...
- Kakugawa S, Langton P, Zebisch M, Howell S, Chang T, Liu Y, et al. Notum deacylates Wnt proteins to suppress signalling activity. Nature. 2015;519:187-192 pubmed publisher..Kinetic and mass spectrometric analyses of human proteins show that Notum is a carboxylesterase that removes an essential palmitoleate moiety from Wnt proteins and thus constitutes the first known extracellular protein deacylase. ..
- Zhu F, Zhang X. The Wnt signaling pathway is involved in the regulation of phagocytosis of virus in Drosophila. Sci Rep. 2013;3:2069 pubmed publisher..Gene expression profiles revealed that the dally-mediated Wnt signaling pathway was involved in S2 phagocytosis...
- Christian J. BMP, Wnt and Hedgehog signals: how far can they go?. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 2000;12:244-9 pubmed..Furthermore, recent studies suggest that variations in the signaling range of these molecules may be due to tissue-specific differences in intracellular processing or tissue-restricted expression of binding proteins. ..
- Hamaratoglu F, de Lachapelle A, Pyrowolakis G, Bergmann S, Affolter M. Dpp signaling activity requires Pentagone to scale with tissue size in the growing Drosophila wing imaginal disc. PLoS Biol. 2011;9:e1001182 pubmed publisher..Most interestingly, Pentagone, an important secreted feedback regulator of the pathway, plays a central role in scaling and acts as an expander of the Dpp gradient during disc growth. ..
- Lu T, Wang S, Gao Y, Mao Y, Yang Z, Liu L, et al. COP9-Hedgehog axis regulates the function of the germline stem cell progeny differentiation niche in the Drosophila ovary. Development. 2015;142:4242-52 pubmed publisher..This provides new insight into how the function of the differentiation niche is regulated at the molecular level. ..
- Hayashi Y, Sexton T, Dejima K, Perry D, Takemura M, Kobayashi S, et al. Glypicans regulate JAK/STAT signaling and distribution of the Unpaired morphogen. Development. 2012;139:4162-71 pubmed publisher..Like many morphogens, signaling and distribution of Upd are regulated by the heparan sulfate proteoglycans (HSPGs) Dally and Dally-like...
- Kirkpatrick C, Knox S, Staatz W, Fox B, Lercher D, Selleck S. The function of a Drosophila glypican does not depend entirely on heparan sulfate modification. Dev Biol. 2006;300:570-82 pubmedb>Division abnormally delayed (Dally) is one of two glycosylphosphatidylinositol (GPI)-linked heparan sulfate proteoglycans in Drosophila. Numerous studies have shown that it influences Decapentaplegic (Dpp) and Wingless signaling...
- Zhang D, Zhou W, Yin C, Chen W, Ozawa R, Ang L, et al. Misexpression screen for genes altering the olfactory map in Drosophila. Genesis. 2006;44:189-201 pubmed..Our finding of diverse classes of genes reveals the complexity of the mechanisms that underlie olfactory map development. ..
- Desbordes S, Chandraratna D, Sanson B. A screen for genes regulating the wingless gradient in Drosophila embryos. Genetics. 2005;170:749-66 pubmed..using a secondary screen to test for mutants and smaller deficiencies, we identified three interacting genes: dally, notum, and brahma...
- Merabet S, Catala F, Pradel J, Graba Y. A green fluorescent protein reporter genetic screen that identifies modifiers of Hox gene function in the Drosophila embryo. Genetics. 2002;162:189-202 pubmed..Five of them encode products acting in or in connection with signal transduction pathways, which suggests an extensive use of signaling in the control of Hox gene function. ..
- Nakato H, Fox B, Selleck S. dally, a Drosophila member of the glypican family of integral membrane proteoglycans, affects cell cycle progression and morphogenesis via a Cyclin A-mediated process. J Cell Sci. 2002;115:123-30 pubmedb>division abnormally delayed (dally) encodes an integral membrane proteoglycan of the glypican family that affects a number of patterning events during both embryonic and larval development...
- Vincent J, Magee T. Argosomes: membrane fragments on the run. Trends Cell Biol. 2002;12:57-60 pubmed..Recent work demonstrates the transfer of membrane fragments in a live epithelium and, importantly, suggests that these fragments might be used as a vehicle to transport morphogens in a developing tissue. ..
- Lum L, Beachy P. The Hedgehog response network: sensors, switches, and routers. Science. 2004;304:1755-9 pubmed
- Eaton S. Release and trafficking of lipid-linked morphogens. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 2006;16:17-22 pubmed
- Baeg G, Lin X, Khare N, Baumgartner S, Perrimon N. Heparan sulfate proteoglycans are critical for the organization of the extracellular distribution of Wingless. Development. 2001;128:87-94 pubmed..In addition, genetic and phenotypic analyses have implicated the glypican gene dally in this process...
- Baeg G, Perrimon N. Functional binding of secreted molecules to heparan sulfate proteoglycans in Drosophila. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 2000;12:575-80 pubmed
- Eugster C, Panàkovà D, Mahmoud A, Eaton S. Lipoprotein-heparan sulfate interactions in the Hh pathway. Dev Cell. 2007;13:57-71 pubmed..Here we show that Lipophorin interacts with the heparan sulfate moieties of the glypicans Dally and Dally-like...
- Turner T, Stewart A, Fields A, Rice W, Tarone A. Population-based resequencing of experimentally evolved populations reveals the genetic basis of body size variation in Drosophila melanogaster. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1001336 pubmed publisher..By using significantly associated polymorphisms as a priori candidates in follow-up studies, these data are expected to provide considerable power to determine the genetic basis of natural variation in body size. ..
- Wu Y, Belenkaya T, Lin X. Dual roles of Drosophila glypican Dally-like in Wingless/Wnt signaling and distribution. Methods Enzymol. 2010;480:33-50 pubmed publisher..There are two members of Drosophila glypicans named division abnormally delayed (Dally) and Dally-like (Dlp)...
- Zhang Y, You J, Ren W, Lin X. Drosophila glypicans Dally and Dally-like are essential regulators for JAK/STAT signaling and Unpaired distribution in eye development. Dev Biol. 2013;375:23-32 pubmed publisher..Loss of HSPG biosynthesis enzyme Brother of tout-velu (Botv), Sulfateless (Sfl), or glypicans Division abnormally delayed (Dally) and Dally-like protein (Dlp) led to reduced levels of extracellular Upd and reduction in JAK/..
- Ayers K, Mteirek R, Cervantes A, Lavenant Staccini L, Therond P, Gallet A. Dally and Notum regulate the switch between low and high level Hedgehog pathway signalling. Development. 2012;139:3168-79 pubmed publisher..We show here that the expression of the proteoglycan Dally in Hh-receiving cells in Drosophila is necessary for high but not low level pathway activity, independent of its ..
- Kamimura K, Ueno K, Nakagawa J, Hamada R, Saitoe M, Maeda N. Perlecan regulates bidirectional Wnt signaling at the Drosophila neuromuscular junction. J Cell Biol. 2013;200:219-33 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that Trol bidirectionally regulates both pre- and postsynaptic activities of Wg by precisely distributing Wg at the NMJ. ..
- Ayers K, Gallet A, Staccini Lavenant L, Therond P. The long-range activity of Hedgehog is regulated in the apical extracellular space by the glypican Dally and the hydrolase Notum. Dev Cell. 2010;18:605-20 pubmed publisher..We provide genetic evidence that the glypican Dally upregulates apical Hh levels, and that the release of Dally by the hydrolase Notum promotes apical Hh long-range ..
- Kramer K, Yost H. Heparan sulfate core proteins in cell-cell signaling. Annu Rev Genet. 2003;37:461-84 pubmed..Genetic manipulation of HS core protein genes is beginning to indicate that HS core proteins have functional specificities that are required during distinct stages of development. ..
- Kerszberg M, Wolpert L. Specifying positional information in the embryo: looking beyond morphogens. Cell. 2007;130:205-9 pubmed..It is now becoming clear that additional or alternative mechanisms involving interactions among cells are also crucial for positional specification. ..
- Park P, Reizes O, Bernfield M. Cell surface heparan sulfate proteoglycans: selective regulators of ligand-receptor encounters. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:29923-6 pubmed
- Hofmann K. A superfamily of membrane-bound O-acyltransferases with implications for wnt signaling. Trends Biochem Sci. 2000;25:111-2 pubmed
- Vyas N, Goswami D, Manonmani A, Sharma P, Ranganath H, Vijayraghavan K, et al. Nanoscale organization of hedgehog is essential for long-range signaling. Cell. 2008;133:1214-27 pubmed publisher..Thus, Hh exhibits a hierarchical organization from the nanoscale to visible clusters with distinct functions. ..
- Williams E, Pappano W, Saunders A, Kim M, Leahy D, Beachy P. Dally-like core protein and its mammalian homologues mediate stimulatory and inhibitory effects on Hedgehog signal response. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:5869-74 pubmed publisher..We report that the unmodified core protein of Dally-like (Dlp), an HSPG required for cell-autonomous Hh response in Drosophila embryos, alone suffices to rescue ..
- Xia L, Zheng X, Zheng W, Zhang G, Wang H, Tao Y, et al. The niche-dependent feedback loop generates a BMP activity gradient to determine the germline stem cell fate. Curr Biol. 2012;22:515-21 pubmed publisher..Our mathematic modeling reveals a bistable behavior of the feedback-loop system in controlling the bam transcriptional on/off switch and determining GSC fate. ..
- Hartl T, Scott M. Wing tips: The wing disc as a platform for studying Hedgehog signaling. Methods. 2014;68:199-206 pubmed publisher..The tools and approaches we highlight form the cornerstone of research efforts in many laboratories that use Drosophila to study Hh signaling, and are essential for ongoing discoveries. ..
- Hiller M, Findeiss S, Lein S, Marz M, Nickel C, Rose D, et al. Conserved introns reveal novel transcripts in Drosophila melanogaster. Genome Res. 2009;19:1289-300 pubmed publisher..As conserved introns indicate both purifying selection on the exon-intron structure and conserved expression of the transcript in related species, the novel mlncRNAs are good candidates for functional transcripts. ..
- Peifer M. Signal transduction. Neither straight nor narrow. Nature. 1999;400:213-5 pubmed
- Gersten M, Zhou D, Azad P, Haddad G, Subramaniam S. Wnt pathway activation increases hypoxia tolerance during development. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e103292 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that a previously unsuspected major developmental pathway, Wnt, plays a significant role in hypoxia tolerance. ..
- Barton L, Lovander K, Pinto B, Geyer P. Drosophila male and female germline stem cell niches require the nuclear lamina protein Otefin. Dev Biol. 2016;415:75-86 pubmed publisher..Finally, our data add to growing evidence that LEM-D proteins have critical roles in stem cell survival and tissue homeostasis. ..
- Araujo H, Negreiros E, Bier E. Integrins modulate Sog activity in the Drosophila wing. Development. 2003;130:3851-64 pubmed..We propose that integrins act by binding and possibly regulating the activity/availability of different forms of Sog during pupal development through an adhesion independent mechanism. ..
- Wilson I. Glycosylation of proteins in plants and invertebrates. Curr Opin Struct Biol. 2002;12:569-77 pubmed..Whereas the forms of O-linked glycans in plants are unlike those in animals, studies on invertebrate O-glycosylation often yield information relevant to mammalian systems. ..
- Grueber W, Ye B, Yang C, Younger S, Borden K, Jan L, et al. Projections of Drosophila multidendritic neurons in the central nervous system: links with peripheral dendrite morphology. Development. 2007;134:55-64 pubmed
- Princivalle M, de Agostini A. Developmental roles of heparan sulfate proteoglycans: a comparative review in Drosophila, mouse and human. Int J Dev Biol. 2002;46:267-78 pubmed
- Matsuoka S, Hiromi Y, Asaoka M. Egfr signaling controls the size of the stem cell precursor pool in the Drosophila ovary. Mech Dev. 2013;130:241-53 pubmed publisher..Egfr signaling in ICs limits the number of cells that express the heparan sulfate proteoglycan Dally, which is required for the movement and stability of the locally-produced stromal morphogen, Decapentaplegic (Dpp, ..
- Ferreira A, MilÃ¡n M. Dally Proteoglycan Mediates the Autonomous and Nonautonomous Effects on Tissue Growth Caused by Activation of the PI3K and TOR Pathways. PLoS Biol. 2015;13:e1002239 pubmed publisher..The observed autonomous and nonautonomous effects on tissue growth rely on the up-regulation of the proteoglycan Dally, a major element involved in modulating the spreading, stability, and activity of the growth promoting ..
- Lüders F, Segawa H, Stein D, Selva E, Perrimon N, Turco S, et al. Slalom encodes an adenosine 3'-phosphate 5'-phosphosulfate transporter essential for development in Drosophila. EMBO J. 2003;22:3635-44 pubmed
- Xin T, Xuan T, Tan J, Li M, Zhao G, Li M. The Drosophila putative histone acetyltransferase Enok maintains female germline stem cells through regulating Bruno and the niche. Dev Biol. 2013;384:1-12 pubmed publisher..This is the first demonstration that the niche size control requires an epigenetic mechanism. Taken together, studies in this paper provide new insights into the GSC fate regulation. ..
- Nakayama T, Cui Y, Christian J. Regulation of BMP/Dpp signaling during embryonic development. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2000;57:943-56 pubmed..Recent studies have shown that the BMP signal transduction cascade can be modulated at every step of this process. ..
- Steigemann P, Molitor A, Fellert S, Jackle H, Vorbrüggen G. Heparan sulfate proteoglycan syndecan promotes axonal and myotube guidance by slit/robo signaling. Curr Biol. 2004;14:225-30 pubmed..The results suggest that Syndecan is a necessary component of Slit/Robo signaling and is required in the Slit target cells. ..
- Penton A, Selleck S, Hoffmann F. Regulation of cell cycle synchronization by decapentaplegic during Drosophila eye development. Science. 1997;275:203-6 pubmed..DPP may affect cell cycle synchronization by promoting cell cycle progression through the G2-M phases. This synchronization is critical for the precise assembly of the eye. ..
- Bornemann D, Park S, Phin S, Warrior R. A translational block to HSPG synthesis permits BMP signaling in the early Drosophila embryo. Development. 2008;135:1039-47 pubmed publisher..IRES-like features are conserved in GAG enzyme transcripts from diverse organisms, suggesting that this represents a novel evolutionarily conserved mechanism for regulating GAG synthesis and modulating growth factor activity. ..
- Shearn A, Garen A. Genetic control of imaginal disc development in Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1974;71:1393-7 pubmed..Thus, both types of disc-specific functions are essential for normal disc development. ..