Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: D
Alias: CG5893, DM10, DM23, DM33, DM36, DM63, Dmel\CG5893, SOX70, SOX70D, SOXB2.1, SOXDP, Sox B2-1, Sox70, Sox70D, Sry-rDM10, Sry-rDM23, Sry-rDM33, Sry-rDM36, Sry-rDM63, delta, fish, l(3)LG9, loD, dichaete, CG5893-PA, CG5893-PB, CG5893-PC, CG5893-PD, D-PA, D-PB, D-PC, D-PD, Fish-Hook, Sox box protein 70D, Sry-related DM10, Sry-related DM23, Sry-related DM33, Sry-related DM36, Sry-related DM63, dachs, delta, fish hook, lethal of dichaete
Species: fruit fly
- Zhao G, Boekhoff Falk G, Wilson B, Skeath J. Linking pattern formation to cell-type specification: Dichaete and Ind directly repress achaete gene expression in the Drosophila CNS. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:3847-52 pubmed..regulators of CNS pattern along the dorsoventral axis, the homeodomain protein Ind and the Sox-domain protein Dichaete, to the spatial regulation of the proneural gene achaete (ac) in the embryonic CNS...
- Overton P, Meadows L, Urban J, Russell S. Evidence for differential and redundant function of the Sox genes Dichaete and SoxN during CNS development in Drosophila. Development. 2002;129:4219-28 pubmed..CNS; in vertebrates there are three (Sox1, Sox2 and Sox3) and in Drosophila there are two (SoxNeuro and Dichaete). It has been suggested there may be a degree of functional redundancy in Sox function during CNS development...
- Soriano N, Russell S. The Drosophila SOX-domain protein Dichaete is required for the development of the central nervous system midline. Development. 1998;125:3989-96 pubmed..In common with other SOX-domain genes, the Drosophila Dichaete gene has a dynamic expression profile in the developing central nervous system, including cells of the ventral ..
- Shen S, Aleksic J, Russell S. Identifying targets of the Sox domain protein Dichaete in the Drosophila CNS via targeted expression of dominant negative proteins. BMC Dev Biol. 2013;13:1 pubmed publisher..In Drosophila melanogaster, the Sox gene Dichaete is dynamically expressed in the embryonic CNS, where it is known to have functional roles in neuroblasts and the ..
- Russell S, Sanchez Soriano N, Wright C, Ashburner M. The Dichaete gene of Drosophila melanogaster encodes a SOX-domain protein required for embryonic segmentation. Development. 1996;122:3669-76 pubmed..Sox70D corresponds to the dominant wing mutation Dichaete. Homozygous deletions of the Sox70D gene and recessive lethal Dichaete alleles have a variable embryonic ..
- Ma Y, Niemitz E, Nambu P, Shan X, Sackerson C, Fujioka M, et al. Gene regulatory functions of Drosophila fish-hook, a high mobility group domain Sox protein. Mech Dev. 1998;73:169-82 pubmedIn this study we investigate the gene regulatory functions of Drosophila Fish-hook (Fish), a high mobility group (HMG) Sox protein that is essential for embryonic segmentation...
- Cremazy F, Berta P, Girard F. Genome-wide analysis of Sox genes in Drosophila melanogaster. Mech Dev. 2001;109:371-5 pubmed..Here we report the embryonic and larval expression pattern of four previously uncharacterized Sox genes, through antibody staining and in situ hybridization experiments. ..
- Samee A, Sinha S. Evaluating thermodynamic models of enhancer activity on cellular resolution gene expression data. Methods. 2013;62:79-90 pubmed publisher..Finally, we show how fitting quantitative models on data sets comprising a handful of enhancers, as reported in earlier work, may lead to unreliable models. ..
- Ochoa Espinosa A, Yucel G, Kaplan L, Pare A, Pura N, Oberstein A, et al. The role of binding site cluster strength in Bicoid-dependent patterning in Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:4960-5 pubmed..We propose that the key design principle in AP patterning is the differential integration of positive and negative transcriptional information at the level of individual CRMs for each target gene. ..
- Blanco J, Girard F, Kamachi Y, Kondoh H, Gehring W. Functional analysis of the chicken delta1-crystallin enhancer activity in Drosophila reveals remarkable evolutionary conservation between chicken and fly. Development. 2005;132:1895-905 pubmed..e. the cone cells. However, regulation of the DC5 enhancer is carried out not by Pax6, but by Pax2 (D-Pax2; shaven--FlyBase) in combination with the Sox2 homologue SoxN...
- Zhao G, Skeath J. The Sox-domain containing gene Dichaete/fish-hook acts in concert with vnd and ind to regulate cell fate in the Drosophila neuroectoderm. Development. 2002;129:1165-74 pubmed..We show that the Sox-domain-containing gene Dichaete/fish-hook also plays a crucial role to pattern the neuroectoderm along the DV axis...
- Nambu P, Nambu J. The Drosophila fish-hook gene encodes a HMG domain protein essential for segmentation and CNS development. Development. 1996;122:3467-75 pubmedWe describe the isolation and analysis of the Drosophila fish-hook (fish) gene, which encodes a novel member of the SOX subgroup of High Mobility Group (HMG) domain proteins that exhibit similarity to the mammalian testis determining ..
- Sanchez Soriano N, Russell S. Regulatory mutations of the Drosophila Sox gene Dichaete reveal new functions in embryonic brain and hindgut development. Dev Biol. 2000;220:307-21 pubmed..The Dichaete gene of Drosophila encodes a group B Sox protein related to mammalian Sox1, -2, and -3 and, like these proteins, ..
- Li X, Erclik T, Bertet C, Chen Z, Voutev R, Venkatesh S, et al. Temporal patterning of Drosophila medulla neuroblasts controls neural fates. Nature. 2013;498:456-62 pubmed publisher..Five transcription factors-Homothorax, Eyeless, Sloppy paired, Dichaete and Tailless-are sequentially expressed in a temporal cascade in each of the medulla neuroblasts as they age...
- Rockel S, Geertz M, Hens K, Deplancke B, Maerkl S. iSLIM: a comprehensive approach to mapping and characterizing gene regulatory networks. Nucleic Acids Res. 2013;41:e52 pubmed publisher..With integrated systems-level interaction mapping, it is now possible to rapidly and quantitatively map gene regulatory networks of higher eukaryotes. ..
- Hirai K, Toyohira S, Ohsako T, Yamamoto M. Isolation and cytogenetic characterization of male meiotic mutants of Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 2004;166:1795-806 pubmed..mei(2)yh92 predominantly induced nondisjunction at meiosis I that appeared to be the consequence of failure of the separation of paired homologous chromosomes...
- Aswani A, Biggin M, Bickel P, TOMLIN C. Nonparametric variable selection and modeling for spatial and temporal regulatory networks. Methods Cell Biol. 2012;110:243-61 pubmed publisher..By being able to quantify a continuum of interaction likelihoods, this helps to direct future experiments. ..
- Suzuki T, Kaido M, Takayama R, Sato M. A temporal mechanism that produces neuronal diversity in the Drosophila visual center. Dev Biol. 2013;380:12-24 pubmed publisher..precursor cells) and identified five candidates (Hth, Klumpfuss (Klu), Eyeless (Ey), Sloppy paired (Slp) and Dichaete (D))...
- Suzuki T, Sato M. Neurogenesis and neuronal circuit formation in the Drosophila visual center. Dev Growth Differ. 2014;56:491-8 pubmed publisher..Here, we review recent investigations into the development of the medulla and discuss the mechanisms that establish functional neuronal circuits. ..
- Laudet V, Stehelin D, Clevers H. Ancestry and diversity of the HMG box superfamily. Nucleic Acids Res. 1993;21:2493-501 pubmed..Finally, we provide a tree for the highly complex group of SRY-like ('Sox' genes), clustering at least 40 different loci that rapidly diverged in various animal lineages. ..
- Peng P, Hassan Samee M, Sinha S. Incorporating chromatin accessibility data into sequence-to-expression modeling. Biophys J. 2015;108:1257-67 pubmed publisher..It also calls for future advances in modeling accessibility levels from sequence and the transregulatory context, so as to predict accurately the effect of cis and trans perturbations on gene expression. ..
- Komiyama T, Luo L. Intrinsic control of precise dendritic targeting by an ensemble of transcription factors. Curr Biol. 2007;17:278-85 pubmed..These results begin to provide insights into the global strategy of how an ensemble of TFs regulates wiring specificity of a large number of neurons constituting a neural circuit. ..
- Zhai B, Villen J, Beausoleil S, Mintseris J, Gygi S. Phosphoproteome analysis of Drosophila melanogaster embryos. J Proteome Res. 2008;7:1675-82 pubmed publisher..63% at the peptide level. Because of the large size of the data set, both novel and known phosphorylation motifs were extracted using the Motif-X algorithm, including those representative of potential ordered phosphorylation events. ..
- Wegner M. From head to toes: the multiple facets of Sox proteins. Nucleic Acids Res. 1999;27:1409-20 pubmed..Sox proteins perform their function in a complex interplay with other transcription factors in a manner highly dependent on cell type and promoter context. They exhibit a remarkable crosstalk and functional redundancy among each other. ..
- Ting C, McQueen P, Pandya N, Lin T, Yang M, Reddy O, et al. Photoreceptor-derived activin promotes dendritic termination and restricts the receptive fields of first-order interneurons in Drosophila. Neuron. 2014;81:830-846 pubmed publisher..We suggest that afferent-derived Activin regulates the dendritic field size of their postsynaptic partners to ensure appropriate synaptic partnership. ..
- Soullier S, Jay P, Poulat F, Vanacker J, Berta P, Laudet V. Diversification pattern of the HMG and SOX family members during evolution. J Mol Evol. 1999;48:517-27 pubmed..The various UBF boxes cannot be clustered together and their diversification appears to be extremely ancient, probably before the appearance of metazoans. ..
- Yu Z, Syu L, Mellerick D. Contextual interactions determine whether the Drosophila homeodomain protein, Vnd, acts as a repressor or activator. Nucleic Acids Res. 2005;33:1-12 pubmed..12, 3591-3602]. The Drosophila homologue, vnd, interacts genetically with the high-mobility group protein, Dichaete, in a manner suggesting co-operative activation [Zhao and Skeath (2002) Development, 129, 1165-1174]...
- Bonneaud N, Savare J, Berta P, Girard F. SNCF, a SoxNeuro interacting protein, defines a novel protein family in Drosophila melanogaster. Gene. 2003;319:33-41 pubmed..Finally, data are presented showing the existence in Drosophila of several proteins with a domain of homology to SNCF, which are all expressed early in embryogenesis at the blastoderm stage. ..
- Mukherjee A, Shan X, Mutsuddi M, Ma Y, Nambu J. The Drosophila sox gene, fish-hook, is required for postembryonic development. Dev Biol. 2000;217:91-106 pubmedIn Drosophila, the fish-hook (fish) gene encodes a Sox protein essential for embryonic segmentation and nervous system organization...
- Burmester T, Mink M, Pal M, Lászlóffy Z, Lepesant J, Maroy P. Genetic and molecular analysis in the 70CD region of the third chromosome of Drosophila melanogaster. Gene. 2000;246:157-67 pubmed..The genomic sequence of the l(3)70Ca/b gene reveals a novel heat shock protein (hsc70Cb). l(3)70Da was identified as a member of the CDC48/PEX1 ATPase family and its coding sequence was determined. ..
- Carl S, Russell S. Common binding by redundant group B Sox proteins is evolutionarily conserved in Drosophila. BMC Genomics. 2015;16:292 pubmed publisher..In Drosophila melanogaster, the two group B Sox proteins Dichaete and SoxNeuro show widespread common binding across the genome...
- Kazemian M, Suryamohan K, Chen J, Zhang Y, Samee M, Halfon M, et al. Evidence for deep regulatory similarities in early developmental programs across highly diverged insects. Genome Biol Evol. 2014;6:2301-20 pubmed publisher..Our work represents an important step toward being able to trace the evolutionary history of gene regulatory networks and defining the mechanisms underlying insect evolution. ..
- Mukherjee A, Melnattur K, Zhang M, Nambu J. Maternal expression and function of the Drosophila sox gene Dichaete during oogenesis. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:2828-35 pubmed..In Drosophila, the Sox protein Dichaete (a.k.a...
- San Martin B, Bate M. Hindgut visceral mesoderm requires an ectodermal template for normal development in Drosophila. Development. 2001;128:233-42 pubmed..Wingless is required to establish the primordium and to enhance Heartless expression. Later, Heartless is required to promote the proper differentiation of the hindgut visceral mesoderm itself. ..
- Estes P, Fulkerson E, Zhang Y. Identification of motifs that are conserved in 12 Drosophila species and regulate midline glia vs. neuron expression. Genetics. 2008;178:787-99 pubmed publisher..These results suggest short, highly conserved genomic sequences flanking Drosophila midline genes are indicative of functional regulatory regions and that small changes within these sequences can alter the expression pattern of a gene. ..
- Duque T, Sinha S. What does it take to evolve an enhancer? A simulation-based study of factors influencing the emergence of combinatorial regulation. Genome Biol Evol. 2015;7:1415-31 pubmed publisher..Our simulations also revealed that certain features of an enhancer might evolve not due to their biological function but as aids to the evolutionary process itself. ..
- Pevny L, Lovell Badge R. Sox genes find their feet. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 1997;7:338-44 pubmed..The dynamic and diverse patterns of expression of SOX genes and analysis of mutations in humans, mice and Drosophila suggest that SOX factors play key roles in decisions of cell fate during diverse developmental processes. ..
- Holmqvist P, Boija A, Philip P, Crona F, Stenberg P, Mannervik M. Preferential genome targeting of the CBP co-activator by Rel and Smad proteins in early Drosophila melanogaster embryos. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002769 pubmed publisher..We conclude that CBP occupancy in Drosophila embryos preferentially overlaps factors controlling dorso-ventral patterning and that CBP binds silent genes without causing histone hyperacetylation. ..
- Melnattur K, Berdnik D, Rusan Z, Ferreira C, Nambu J. The sox gene Dichaete is expressed in local interneurons and functions in development of the Drosophila adult olfactory circuit. Dev Neurobiol. 2013;73:107-26 pubmed publisher..We have found that Dichaete, a conserved Sox HMG box gene, is strongly expressed in a cluster of LAAL cells located adjacent to each antennal ..
- Moses C, Helman A, Paroush Z, Von Ohlen T. Phosphorylation of Ind by MAP kinase enhances Ind-dependent transcriptional repression. Dev Biol. 2011;360:208-15 pubmed publisher..This regulation is also dependent on the co-repressor, Dichaete. Our data indicate that EGF signaling, acting through MAP kinase, impinges on multiple aspects of Ind regulatory ..
- Mutsuddi M, Mukherjee A, Shen B, Manley J, Nambu J. Drosophila Pelle phosphorylates Dichaete protein and influences its subcellular distribution in developing oocytes. Int J Dev Biol. 2010;54:1309-15 pubmed publisherThe Drosophila Dichaete gene encodes a member of the Sox family of high mobility group (HMG) domain proteins that have crucial gene regulatory functions in diverse developmental processes...
- Staller M, Fowlkes C, Bragdon M, Wunderlich Z, Estrada J, DePace A. A gene expression atlas of a bicoid-depleted Drosophila embryo reveals early canalization of cell fate. Development. 2015;142:587-96 pubmed publisher..Our gene expression atlas provides a high resolution picture of a classic perturbation and will enable further computational modeling of canalization and gene regulation in this transcriptional network. ..
- Sessa L, Bianchi M. The evolution of High Mobility Group Box (HMGB) chromatin proteins in multicellular animals. Gene. 2007;387:133-40 pubmed..The organization of HMGB genes was very conserved during Metazoan evolution, with the only deviations appearing in Caenorhabditis and Dipteran (Drosophila and Anopheles) species. ..
- Aradhya R, Zmojdzian M, Da Ponte J, Jagla K. Muscle niche-driven Insulin-Notch-Myc cascade reactivates dormant Adult Muscle Precursors in Drosophila. elife. 2015;4: pubmed publisher..Altogether, we report that Drosophila AMPs display homing behavior to muscle niche and that the niche-driven Insulin-Notch-dMyc cascade plays a key role in setting the activated state of AMPs. ..
- Apitz H, Salecker I. A region-specific neurogenesis mode requires migratory progenitors in the Drosophila visual system. Nat Neurosci. 2015;18:46-55 pubmed publisher..These switched expression from Asense to a third proneural protein, Atonal. Dichaete and Tailless mediated this transition, which was essential for generating two neuron populations at defined ..
- Ferrero E, Fischer B, Russell S. SoxNeuro orchestrates central nervous system specification and differentiation in Drosophila and is only partially redundant with Dichaete. Genome Biol. 2014;15:R74 pubmed publisher..In common with vertebrates, the Drosophila group B proteins SoxNeuro and Dichaete are involved in central nervous system development, where they play both similar and unique roles in gene ..
- Aleksic J, Ferrero E, Fischer B, Shen S, Russell S. The role of Dichaete in transcriptional regulation during Drosophila embryonic development. BMC Genomics. 2013;14:861 pubmed publisher..In Drosophila, only two group B Sox genes, Dichaete and SoxN, have been shown to function during embryonic CNS development, providing a simpler system for ..
- Bertet C, Li X, Erclik T, Cavey M, Wells B, Desplan C. Temporal patterning of neuroblasts controls Notch-mediated cell survival through regulation of Hid or Reaper. Cell. 2014;158:1173-1186 pubmed publisher..We conclude that temporal patterning generates neuronal diversity by specifying both the identity and survival/death of each unique neuronal subtype. ..
- Majumder R, Roy S, Thakur A. Analysis of Delta-Notch interaction by molecular modeling and molecular dynamic simulation studies. J Biomol Struct Dyn. 2012;30:13-29 pubmed publisherNotch is a single-pass transmembrane receptor protein. Delta (member of the DSL protein family), a Notch ligand, is also single-pass transmembrane protein that can interact with Notch to form the Delta-Notch complex...
- Klämbt C, Glazer L, Shilo B. breathless, a Drosophila FGF receptor homolog, is essential for migration of tracheal and specific midline glial cells. Genes Dev. 1992;6:1668-78 pubmed..In hypomorphic mutants the cells exhibit partial migration but follow the normal tracts, suggesting that the presence of this receptor is essential for the ability of the migrating cells to recognize external guiding cues. ..
- Mace D, Varnado N, Zhang W, Frise E, Ohler U. Extraction and comparison of gene expression patterns from 2D RNA in situ hybridization images. Bioinformatics. 2010;26:761-9 pubmed publisher..genome.duke.edu/generegulation/image_analysis/insitu email@example.com Supplementary data are available at Bioinformatics online. ..
- Chopra M, Gu G, Singh S. Mutations affecting the delayed rectifier potassium current in Drosophila. J Neurogenet. 2000;14:107-23 pubmed..The z66 and the z4 mutations, which lie in the Shab K(+) channel gene, provide an opportunity to undertake analysis of the functioning of these channels and to study the role of these channels in membrane excitability. ..
- Wittkorn E, Sarkar A, Garcia K, Kango Singh M, Singh A. The Hippo pathway effector Yki downregulates Wg signaling to promote retinal differentiation in the Drosophila eye. Development. 2015;142:2002-13 pubmed publisher..In summary, we provide the genetic mechanism by which yki plays a role in cell fate specification and differentiation - a novel aspect of Yki function that is emerging from multiple model organisms. ..
- Auld V. Glia as mediators of growth cone guidance: studies from insect nervous systems. Cell Mol Life Sci. 1999;55:1377-85 pubmed..Recent work in grasshopper, Drosophila and moth nervous system development has underscored the importance of the instructive role glia play during axonal outgrowth. ..
- Han H, Fan J, Xiong Y, Wu W, Lu Y, Zhang L, et al. Chi and dLMO function antagonistically on Notch signaling through directly regulation of fng transcription. Sci Rep. 2016;6:18937 pubmed publisher..dLMO could induce antagonistical phenotypes on Notch signaling compared to that induced by Chi. These processes depend on their direct regulation of fringe (fng) transcription. ..
- He X, Duque T, Sinha S. Evolutionary origins of transcription factor binding site clusters. Mol Biol Evol. 2012;29:1059-70 pubmed publisher..The quantitative framework we develop here can be used more generally to understand how mechanisms of enhancer action influence their composition and evolution. ..
- Sharma S, Nirenberg M. Silencing of genes in cultured Drosophila neurons by RNA interference. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:12925-30 pubmed..The results suggest that this cultured neural cell system can be used to study RNAi-dependent silencing of genes involved in many kinds of neural functions. ..
- Lacin H, Truman J. Lineage mapping identifies molecular and architectural similarities between the larval and adult Drosophila central nervous system. elife. 2016;5:e13399 pubmed publisher..Our findings provide a comprehensive view of neurogenesis and show how proliferation of individual neuroblasts is dictated by temporal and spatial cues. ..