Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: CycT
Description: Cyclin T
Alias: CG6292, Dmcyclin T, Dmel\CG6292, ORE-14, P-TEFb, anon-74EFc, p124, cyclin T, CG6292-PA, CG6292-PB, CG6292-PC, CG6292-PD, CycT-PA, CycT-PB, CycT-PC, CycT-PD, CyclinT, cyclin T1, cyclin T2, dCyclin T, dmcyclin T
Species: fruit fly
- Ni Z, Schwartz B, Werner J, Suarez J, Lis J. Coordination of transcription, RNA processing, and surveillance by P-TEFb kinase on heat shock genes. Mol Cell. 2004;13:55-65 pubmed..We propose that P-TEFb phosphorylation of Pol II CTD coordinates transcription elongation with 3' end processing, and failure to do so leads to rapid RNA degradation. ..
- Dahlberg O, Shilkova O, Tang M, Holmqvist P, Mannervik M. P-TEFb, the super elongation complex and mediator regulate a subset of non-paused genes during early Drosophila embryo development. PLoS Genet. 2015;11:e1004971 pubmed publisherPositive Transcription Elongation Factor b (P-TEFb) is a kinase consisting of Cdk9 and Cyclin T that releases RNA Polymerase II (Pol II) into active elongation...
- Andrulis E, Guzman E, Döring P, Werner J, Lis J. High-resolution localization of Drosophila Spt5 and Spt6 at heat shock genes in vivo: roles in promoter proximal pausing and transcription elongation. Genes Dev. 2000;14:2635-49 pubmed..Costaining with antibodies to Spt6 and to either the largest subunit of RNA polymerase II or cyclin T, a subunit of the elongation factor P-TEFb, reveals that all three factors have a similar distribution at sites ..
- Boehm A, Saunders A, Werner J, Lis J. Transcription factor and polymerase recruitment, modification, and movement on dhsp70 in vivo in the minutes following heat shock. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:7628-37 pubmed..These studies of factor choreography set important limits in modeling transcription regulatory mechanisms. ..
- Fu T, Peng J, Lee G, Price D, Flores O. Cyclin K functions as a CDK9 regulatory subunit and participates in RNA polymerase II transcription. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:34527-30 pubmed..P-TEFb complex isolated from mammalian cells contains a catalytic subunit (CDK9), a cyclin subunit (cyclin T1 or cyclin T2), and additional, yet unidentified, polypeptides of unknown function...
- Housden B, Valvezan A, Kelley C, Sopko R, Hu Y, Roesel C, et al. Identification of potential drug targets for tuberous sclerosis complex by synthetic screens combining CRISPR-based knockouts with RNAi. Sci Signal. 2015;8:rs9 pubmed publisher..Individual knockdown of three candidate genes (mRNA-cap, Pitslre, and CycT; orthologs of RNGTT, CDK11, and CCNT1 in humans) reduced the population growth rate of Drosophila cells lacking ..
- Maia R, Valente V, Cunha M, Sousa J, Araujo D, Silva W, et al. Identification of unannotated exons of low abundance transcripts in Drosophila melanogaster and cloning of a new serine protease gene upregulated upon injury. BMC Genomics. 2007;8:249 pubmed..Our results show that the computational identification and manual inspection are not sufficient to annotate a genome in the absence of experimentally derived data. ..
- Achary B, Campbell K, Co I, Gilmour D. RNAi screen in Drosophila larvae identifies histone deacetylase 3 as a positive regulator of the hsp70 heat shock gene expression during heat shock. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2014;1839:355-63 pubmed publisher..We validated the screen by showing that the depletion of HSF, CycT, Cdk9, Nurf 301, or ELL prevented the full induction of hsp70 by heat shock...
- Sousa Guimarães S, Sunkel C, Malmanche N. polo Is Identified as a Suppressor of bubR1 Nondisjunction in a Deficiency Screen of the Third Chromosome in Drosophila melanogaster. G3 (Bethesda). 2011;1:161-9 pubmed publisher..Overall, our genetic screening strategy proved to be highly sensitive for the identification of modifiers of BubR1 kinase activity in both meiosis and mitosis. ..
- Zobeck K, Buckley M, Zipfel W, Lis J. Recruitment timing and dynamics of transcription factors at the Hsp70 loci in living cells. Mol Cell. 2010;40:965-75 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we demonstrate that poly(ADP-ribose) (PAR) polymerase activity is required to maintain the transcription compartment. We propose that PAR polymers locally retain factors in a transcription compartment. ..
- Burtis K, Thummel C, Jones C, Karim F, Hogness D. The Drosophila 74EF early puff contains E74, a complex ecdysone-inducible gene that encodes two ets-related proteins. Cell. 1990;61:85-99 pubmed..The unique N-terminal domains contain regions rich in acidic amino acids while the C-terminal domain is rich in basic amino acids and is very similar to proteins encoded by the ets proto-oncogene superfamily. ..
- Lis J, Mason P, Peng J, Price D, Werner J. P-TEFb kinase recruitment and function at heat shock loci. Genes Dev. 2000;14:792-803 pubmedP-TEFb, a heterodimer of the kinase Cdk9 and cyclin T, was isolated as a factor that stimulates formation of productive transcription elongation complexes in vitro...
- Zhang Y, Lin N, Carroll P, Chan G, Guan B, Xiao H, et al. Epigenetic blocking of an enhancer region controls irradiation-induced proapoptotic gene expression in Drosophila embryos. Dev Cell. 2008;14:481-93 pubmed publisher..Thus, direct epigenetic regulation of two proapoptotic genes controls cellular sensitivity to cytotoxic stimuli. ..
- Ivaldi M, Karam C, Corces V. Phosphorylation of histone H3 at Ser10 facilitates RNA polymerase II release from promoter-proximal pausing in Drosophila. Genes Dev. 2007;21:2818-31 pubmed..Taken together, the results introduce H3S10 phosphorylation by JIL-1 as a hallmark of early transcription elongation in Drosophila. ..
- Keleman K, Ribeiro C, Dickson B. Comm function in commissural axon guidance: cell-autonomous sorting of Robo in vivo. Nat Neurosci. 2005;8:156-63 pubmed..We show here, however, that ubiquitination of Comm is not required for its function in vitro or in vivo, and that Nedd4 is unlikely to function in axon guidance at the midline. ..
- Xu J, Grant G, Sabin L, Gordesky Gold B, Yasunaga A, Tudor M, et al. Transcriptional pausing controls a rapid antiviral innate immune response in Drosophila. Cell Host Microbe. 2012;12:531-43 pubmed publisher..Thus, transcriptional pausing primes virally induced genes to facilitate rapid gene induction and robust antiviral responses. ..
- Kim S, Min I, Ren S, Spector A, Jin M, Lis J. Development of temperature-sensitive mutants of the Drosophila melanogaster P-TEFb (Cyclin T/CDK9) heterodimer using yeast two-hybrid screening. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2013;433:243-8 pubmed publisherP-TEFb complex, a heterodimer of the kinase CDK9 and Cyclin T, is a critical factor that stimulates the process of transcription elongation...
- Kaplan C, Morris J, Wu C, Winston F. Spt5 and spt6 are associated with active transcription and have characteristics of general elongation factors in D. melanogaster. Genes Dev. 2000;14:2623-34 pubmed..Furthermore, Spt5 and Spt6 do not colocalize widely with the unphosphorylated, nonelongating form of Pol II. These results strongly suggest that Spt5 and Spt6 play closely related roles associated with active transcription in vivo. ..
- Schaaf C, Kwak H, Koenig A, Misulovin Z, Gohara D, Watson A, et al. Genome-wide control of RNA polymerase II activity by cohesin. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003382 pubmed publisher..The multiple transcriptional roles of cohesin revealed by these studies likely underlie the growth and developmental deficits caused by minor changes in cohesin activity. ..
- Schwartz B, Larochelle S, Suter B, Lis J. Cdk7 is required for full activation of Drosophila heat shock genes and RNA polymerase II phosphorylation in vivo. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:6876-86 pubmed..The requirement for Cdk7 occurs very early in the transcription cycle. Furthermore, we provide evidence that TFIIH associates with the elongation complex much longer than previously suspected. ..