Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: cup
Alias: CG11181, CUP, Cup, DmCup, Dmel\CG11181, fs(1)cup, fs(2)cup, i239, cup, CG11181-PB, CG11181-PC, Cup, cup-PB, cup-PC
Species: fruit fly
- Igreja C, Izaurralde E. CUP promotes deadenylation and inhibits decapping of mRNA targets. Genes Dev. 2011;25:1955-67 pubmed publisherb>CUP is an eIF4E-binding protein (4E-BP) that represses the expression of specific maternal mRNAs prior to their posterior localization. Here, we show that CUP employs multiple mechanisms to repress the expression of target mRNAs...
- Kinkelin K, Veith K, Grünwald M, Bono F. Crystal structure of a minimal eIF4E-Cup complex reveals a general mechanism of eIF4E regulation in translational repression. RNA. 2012;18:1624-34 pubmed publisherb>Cup is an eIF4E-binding protein (4E-BP) that plays a central role in translational regulation of localized mRNAs during early Drosophila development...
- Nelson M, Leidal A, Smibert C. Drosophila Cup is an eIF4E-binding protein that functions in Smaug-mediated translational repression. EMBO J. 2004;23:150-9 pubmed..Here we demonstrate that Smaug interacts with the Cup protein and that Cup is an eIF4E-binding protein that blocks the binding of eIF4G to eIF4E...
- Keyes L, Spradling A. The Drosophila gene fs(2)cup interacts with otu to define a cytoplasmic pathway required for the structure and function of germ-line chromosomes. Development. 1997;124:1419-31 pubmed..We have analyzed a gene, fs(2)cup, that participates in many of the same processes and interacts with otu genetically...
- Cox R, Spradling A. A Balbiani body and the fusome mediate mitochondrial inheritance during Drosophila oogenesis. Development. 2003;130:1579-90 pubmed..Our findings reveal new similarities between oogenesis in Drosophila and vertebrates, and support our hypothesis that developing oocytes contain specific mechanisms to ensure that germ plasm is endowed with highly functional organelles. ..
- Nakamura A, Sato K, Hanyu Nakamura K. Drosophila cup is an eIF4E binding protein that associates with Bruno and regulates oskar mRNA translation in oogenesis. Dev Cell. 2004;6:69-78 pubmed..Here, we report that an ovarian protein, Cup, is required to repress precocious osk translation...
- Davidson A, Parton R, Rabouille C, Weil T, Davis I. Localized Translation of gurken/TGF-Î± mRNA during Axis Specification Is Controlled by Access to Orb/CPEB on Processing Bodies. Cell Rep. 2016;14:2451-62 pubmed publisher..We propose that controlling the spatial distribution of translational activators is a fundamental mechanism for regulating localized translation. ..
- Temme C, Zhang L, Kremmer E, Ihling C, Chartier A, Sinz A, et al. Subunits of the Drosophila CCR4-NOT complex and their roles in mRNA deadenylation. RNA. 2010;16:1356-70 pubmed publisher..Nocturnin may also be involved in mRNA deadenylation, whereas there is no evidence for a similar role of Angel and 3635. ..
- Cauchi R, Sanchez Pulido L, Liu J. Drosophila SMN complex proteins Gemin2, Gemin3, and Gemin5 are components of U bodies. Exp Cell Res. 2010;316:2354-64 pubmed publisher..In addition to a role in snRNP biogenesis, SMN complexes residing in U bodies may also be involved in mRNP assembly and/or transport. ..
- Barreau C, Benson E, White Cooper H. Comet and cup genes in Drosophila spermatogenesis: the first demonstration of post-meiotic transcription. Biochem Soc Trans. 2008;36:540-2 pubmed publisher..We found that transcription of comets and cups occurs just before protamines can be detected in spermatid nuclei. ..
- Tettweiler G, Miron M, Jenkins M, Sonenberg N, Lasko P. Starvation and oxidative stress resistance in Drosophila are mediated through the eIF4E-binding protein, d4E-BP. Genes Dev. 2005;19:1840-3 pubmed..Thus, d4E-BP is an important downstream effector of a dFOXO phenotype, and regulation of translation by eIF4E is vital during environmental stress. ..
- Sonoda J, Wharton R. Drosophila Brain Tumor is a translational repressor. Genes Dev. 2001;15:762-73 pubmed..The results of these experiments suggest that NHL domain proteins are recruited to various mRNAs by combinatorial protein-protein interactions. ..
- Snee M, Macdonald P. Bicaudal C and trailer hitch have similar roles in gurken mRNA localization and cytoskeletal organization. Dev Biol. 2009;328:434-44 pubmed publisher..The cages sequester Gurken protein, blocking its secretion and thus interfering with signaling of the follicle cells to specify dorsal fate. ..
- Neuman Silberberg F. Drosophila female sterile mutation spoonbill interferes with multiple pathways in oogenesis. Genesis. 2007;45:369-81 pubmed..Based on the previous data and the results presented here, it is anticipated that spoonbill may encode a multifunctional protein that perhaps coordinately regulated the activity of multiple signaling pathways during oogenesis. ..
- Barnes A, Boone J, Partridge L, Chapman T. A functioning ovary is not required for sex peptide to reduce receptivity to mating in D. melanogaster. J Insect Physiol. 2007;53:343-8 pubmed..The results show that the effects of SP on receptivity are not dependent upon a fully functional ovary, and hence that egg development or laying is not causal in the SP receptivity response. ..
- Ohno S. The one-to-four rule and paralogues of sex-determining genes. Cell Mol Life Sci. 1999;55:824-30 pubmed..It is likely that one of them plays a pivotal role in the estrogen-dependent sex-determining mechanism so commonly found among reptiles, amphibians and fish. ..
- Kushner R, Ryan E, Sefton J, Sanders R, Lucioni P, Moberg K, et al. A Drosophila melanogaster model of classic galactosemia. Dis Model Mech. 2010;3:618-27 pubmed publisher..Using this new Drosophila model, we have begun to dissect the timing, extent and mechanism(s) of galactose sensitivity in the absence of GALT activity. ..
- Piccioni F, Zappavigna V, Verrotti A. A cup full of functions. RNA Biol. 2005;2:125-8 pubmedData from different laboratories have recently indicated that Cup is a multi-functional protein acting both during Drosophila ovary development and early embryogenesis...
- Cox R, Spradling A. Milton controls the early acquisition of mitochondria by Drosophila oocytes. Development. 2006;133:3371-7 pubmed
- Hazelrigg T. Lost in translation gets an oskar. Dev Cell. 2004;6:611-3 pubmed..New results show that the Drosophila heterogeneous nuclear ribonucleoprotein (hnRNP) Hrp48 contributes to coordinated RNA localization and translational control in oocytes. ..
- Macdonald P. Translational repression by Bicoid: competition for the cap. Cell. 2005;121:321-2 pubmed..In this issue of Cell, solve a puzzle surrounding the action of the Drosophila Bicoid morphogen in formation of the Caudal protein gradient and in doing so describe a novel mechanism of translational repression. ..
- Frydman H, Spradling A. The receptor-like tyrosine phosphatase lar is required for epithelial planar polarity and for axis determination within drosophila ovarian follicles. Development. 2001;128:3209-20 pubmed..Our studies suggest that positional information can be stored transiently in the ECM. A major function of Lar may be to transduce such signals. ..
- Tastan O, Maines J, Li Y, McKearin D, Buszczak M. Drosophila ataxin 2-binding protein 1 marks an intermediate step in the molecular differentiation of female germline cysts. Development. 2010;137:3167-76 pubmed publisher..Biochemical analysis reveals that A2BP1 isoforms bind to each other and associate with Bruno, a known translational repressor protein. These data show that A2BP1 promotes the molecular differentiation of ovarian germline cysts. ..
- Mahone M, Saffman E, Lasko P. Localized Bicaudal-C RNA encodes a protein containing a KH domain, the RNA binding motif of FMR1. EMBO J. 1995;14:2043-55 pubmed..Alteration of a highly conserved KH domain codon by mutation abrogates in vivo Bic-C function. These results suggest roles for the Bic-C protein in localizing RNAs and in intercellular signaling. ..
- Ottone C, Gigliotti S, Giangrande A, Graziani F, Verrotti di Pianella A. The translational repressor Cup is required for germ cell development in Drosophila. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:3114-23 pubmed publisher..Here, we report that heterozygous cup mutant ovaries and embryos have reduced levels of Staufen (Stau), Oskar (Osk) and Vasa (Vas) proteins at the ..
- Chu T, Henrion G, Haegeli V, Strickland S. Cortex, a Drosophila gene required to complete oocyte meiosis, is a member of the Cdc20/fizzy protein family. Genesis. 2001;29:141-52 pubmed
- Kim G, Pai C, Sato K, Person M, Nakamura A, Macdonald P. Region-specific activation of oskar mRNA translation by inhibition of Bruno-mediated repression. PLoS Genet. 2015;11:e1004992 pubmed publisher..Our work provides new insight into the question of how localized mRNAs become translationally active, showing that repression of osk mRNA is locally inactivated by a mechanism acting independent of mRNA localization. ..
- Aumiller V, Graebsch A, Kremmer E, Niessing D, Forstemann K. Drosophila Pur-? binds to trinucleotide-repeat containing cellular RNAs and translocates to the early oocyte. RNA Biol. 2012;9:633-43 pubmed publisher..Related sequences, such as r(CAG) 4 and the consensus sequence of the opa-repeat r(CAG) 3CAA, can also associate with Pur-? in vitro and in vivo. The mRNA target spectrum of Pur-? may therefore be larger than previously anticipated. ..
- Kozak M. Rethinking some mechanisms invoked to explain translational regulation in eukaryotes. Gene. 2006;382:1-11 pubmed..Unanswered questions about the IRESs themselves have to be resolved before they can be used confidently as tools. ..
- Semotok J, Cooperstock R, Pinder B, Vari H, Lipshitz H, Smibert C. Smaug recruits the CCR4/POP2/NOT deadenylase complex to trigger maternal transcript localization in the early Drosophila embryo. Curr Biol. 2005;15:284-94 pubmed..Thus, Smaug is a multifunctional posttranscriptional regulator that employs distinct mechanisms to repress translation and to induce degradation of target transcripts. ..
- Fan S, Marchand V, Ephrussi A. Drosophila Ge-1 promotes P body formation and oskar mRNA localization. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e20612 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest an important role of dGe-1 in optimization of the osk mRNA localization process required for patterning the Drosophila embryo. ..
- Lasko P. Cup-ling oskar RNA localization and translational control. J Cell Biol. 2003;163:1189-91 pubmed..In this issue, Wilhelm et al. (2003) show that the protein Cup both promotes osk localization and participates in repressing translation of unlocalized osk.
- Menon K, Carrillo R, Zinn K. The translational regulator Cup controls NMJ presynaptic terminal morphology. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2015;67:126-36 pubmed publisher..Here we examine the role of Cup in neuromuscular system development...
- McCaffrey R, St Johnston D, González Reyes A. A novel mutant phenotype implicates dicephalic in cyst formation in the Drosophila ovary. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:908-17 pubmed..We propose a model in which dicephalic is involved in the proper adhesion between the oocyte and the somatic follicle cells. ..
- Sugimura I, Lilly M. Bruno inhibits the expression of mitotic cyclins during the prophase I meiotic arrest of Drosophila oocytes. Dev Cell. 2006;10:127-35 pubmed
- Sinka R, Jankovics F, Somogyi K, Szlanka T, Lukacsovich T, Erdelyi M. poirot, a new regulatory gene of Drosophila oskar acts at the level of the short Oskar protein isoform. Development. 2002;129:3469-78 pubmed..Furthermore, we demonstrate that poirot acts in an isoform-specific manner, only the short OSK isoform is affected, while the long OSK isoform remains at wild-type levels in poirot mutants. ..
- Jansen R, Niessing D. Assembly of mRNA-protein complexes for directional mRNA transport in eukaryotes--an overview. Curr Protein Pept Sci. 2012;13:284-93 pubmed..We will highlight general themes and differences, point to similarities in other model systems, and raise open questions that might be answered in the coming years. ..
- Navarro C, Bullock S, Lehmann R. Altered dynein-dependent transport in piRNA pathway mutants. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:9691-6 pubmed publisher..We propose that aggregate formation is a cellular response to protect germ cells from DNA damage caused by elevated retrotransposon expression. ..
- Clouse K, Ferguson S, Schupbach T. Squid, Cup, and PABP55B function together to regulate gurken translation in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2008;313:713-24 pubmed..We show that Cup and polyA-binding protein (PABP) interact physically with Sqd and with each other in ovaries...
- Wilhelm J, Buszczak M, Sayles S. Efficient protein trafficking requires trailer hitch, a component of a ribonucleoprotein complex localized to the ER in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2005;9:675-85 pubmed..that it is part of a large RNA-protein complex that includes the translation/localization factors Me31B and Cup as well as the mRNAs for endoplasmic reticulum (ER) exit site components...
- Bolivar J, Huynh J, Lopez Schier H, Gonzalez C, St Johnston D, González Reyes A. Centrosome migration into the Drosophila oocyte is independent of BicD and egl, and of the organisation of the microtubule cytoskeleton. Development. 2001;128:1889-97 pubmed..Thus, centrosome migration is independent of the organisation of the microtubule cytoskeleton, and seems to depend instead on the polarity of the fusome. ..
- Peter D, Weber R, KÃ¶ne C, Chung M, Ebertsch L, Truffault V, et al. Mextli proteins use both canonical bipartite and novel tripartite binding modes to form eIF4E complexes that display differential sensitivity to 4E-BP regulation. Genes Dev. 2015;29:1835-49 pubmed publisher..Our results uncovered unexpected diversity in the binding modes of 4E-BPs, resulting in eIF4E complexes that display differential sensitivity to 4E-BP regulation. ..
- Galasso A, Pane L, Russo M, Grimaldi M, Verrotti A, Gigliotti S, et al. dSTAM expression pattern during wild type and mutant egg chamber development in D. melanogaster. Gene Expr Patterns. 2007;7:730-7 pubmed..In contrast, dSTAM distribution is remarkably altered in cup mutant oocytes where the protein accumulates in a round central spot and never reaches the posterior pole.
- Baxley R, Soshnev A, Koryakov D, Zhimulev I, Geyer P. The role of the Suppressor of Hairy-wing insulator protein in Drosophila oogenesis. Dev Biol. 2011;356:398-410 pubmed publisher..2 and CP190, these proteins are not essential for oogenesis. These studies represent the first molecular investigations of Su(Hw) function in the germline, which uncover distinct requirements for Su(Hw) insulator and ovary functions. ..
- Liu J. Intracellular compartmentation of CTP synthase in Drosophila. J Genet Genomics. 2010;37:281-96 pubmed publisher..The observation of compartmentation of CTP synthase now permits a broad range of questions to be addressed concerning not only the structure and function of cytoophidia but also the organization and regulation of CTP synthesis. ..
- Piccioni F, Ottone C, Brescia P, Pisa V, Siciliano G, Galasso A, et al. The translational repressor Cup associates with the adaptor protein Miranda and the mRNA carrier Staufen at multiple time-points during Drosophila oogenesis. Gene. 2009;428:47-52 pubmed publisherIn Drosophila melanogaster, Cup acts as a translational regulator during oocyte maturation and early embryogenesis...
- Buckingham M, Liu J. U bodies respond to nutrient stress in Drosophila. Exp Cell Res. 2011;317:2835-44 pubmed publisher..Despite nutritional stress, U bodies maintain their close association with P bodies. Our results show that U bodies are responsive to nutrition changes, presumably through the U body-P body pathway. ..
- Macdonald P. Translational control: a cup half full. Curr Biol. 2004;14:R282-3 pubmed..The Cup protein is now found to have an important role in repression of both mRNAs, and apparently does so in a manner ..
- Gigliotti S, Rotoli D, Manzi A, Graziani F, Malva C. Female sterile mutations and egg chamber development in Drosophila melanogaster. Int J Dev Biol. 2000;44:581-9 pubmed..Here, in a schematic and simplified form, we point out what we believe are the main recent results on the molecular and cellular mechanisms underlying ovarian development and outline our recent contribution to this field. ..
- Costa A, Pazman C, Sinsimer K, Wong L, McLeod I, Yates J, et al. Rasputin functions as a positive regulator of orb in Drosophila oogenesis. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e72864 pubmed publisher..Tandem Mass Spectrometry analysis shows that several canonical stress granule proteins are associated with the Orb-Rin complex suggesting that a conserved mRNP complex regulates localized translation during oogenesis in Drosophila. ..
- Ryu Y, Macdonald P. RNA sequences required for the noncoding function of oskar RNA also mediate regulation of Oskar protein expression by Bicoid Stability Factor. Dev Biol. 2015;407:211-23 pubmed publisher..Although the C region of the osk 3' UTR is required for the noncoding function, BSF binding does not appear to be essential for that function. ..
- Gonsalvez G, Long R. Spatial regulation of translation through RNA localization. F1000 Biol Rep. 2012;4:16 pubmed publisher..In this review, we provide a general summary of RNA localization pathways in Saccharomyces cerevisiae, Xenopus, Drosophila and mammalian neurons. ..
- Woo J, Suh H, Park S, Oh B. Structural basis for protein recognition by B30.2/SPRY domains. Mol Cell. 2006;24:967-76 pubmed..Ensuing analyses indicated that many B30.2/SPRY domains have a similar preformed pocket, which would allow them to bind multiple targets. ..
- De Gregorio E, Han S, Lee W, Baek M, Osaki T, Kawabata S, et al. An immune-responsive Serpin regulates the melanization cascade in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2002;3:581-92 pubmed..Our data demonstrate that Serpin-27A is required to restrict the phenoloxidase activity to the site of injury or infection, preventing the insect from excessive melanization. ..
- Broyer R, Monfort E, Wilhelm J. Cup regulates oskar mRNA stability during oogenesis. Dev Biol. 2017;421:77-85 pubmed publisher..One of the best characterized regulators of maternal transcripts is Cup - a broadly conserved component of the maternal RNP complex that in Drosophila acts as a translational repressor of ..
- González Reyes A, St Johnston D. The Drosophila AP axis is polarised by the cadherin-mediated positioning of the oocyte. Development. 1998;125:3635-44 pubmed..The Drosophila anterior-posterior axis therefore becomes polarised by an unusual cadherin-mediated adhesion between a germ cell and mesodermal follicle cells. ..
- Grimaldi M, Cozzolino L, Malva C, Graziani F, Gigliotti S. nup154 genetically interacts with cup and plays a cell-type-specific function during Drosophila melanogaster egg-chamber development. Genetics. 2007;175:1751-9 pubmed..In this report, we show that Nup154 interacts genetically and physically with Cup, a germline-specific protein implicated in multiple aspects of female gametogenesis, including the regulation of ..